7.9

1. Aug 7, 2012
    As good as it gets is a pretty good and unique movie, that will leave movie fans happy at the end, especially because of its heart warming final scene.
  2. Jul 24, 2013
    Very well scripted with some really great one-liners; mostly delivered by Jack Nicholson; although there is one point where Greg Kinnear does a rather good impression. Both Jack and Helen Hunt put in great performances that were worthy of praise. My main niggle is that it is way too long; it could have easily been shortened by at least 20 minutes and that would have maybe given it a little more punch. Not that I was bored you understand, far from it, I just felt it would have benefited from being a little shorter. Enough of that; it’s a very well made film with some excellent performances and a touching, well written, script. Well worth a look.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.7/10.
  3. Sep 25, 2013
    As funny as it is timeless, As Good As It Gets is one of the greatest movies of the 1990s, and one in which costars Helen Hunt and Jack Nicholson should be proud to have been a part of with their extensive acting careers. If you have never seen As Good As It Gets and have any appreciation for great movies that don't require big action sequences or extra gore, this is one to watch at least once (if not many times over). Expand
  4. Mar 24, 2011
    The first thing I asked myself after I saw this movie was - how good can Jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt, Greg Kinnear, and Cuba Gooding be? Can they be any better? Director James L Brook's speciality is exploring the human psyche, emotions and portrayals of these many emotions and parts. Nicholson's Melvin Udall is an obsessive-compulsive disorder, frantic and unstable-yet-stable in his ways in life. I liked how Hunt gave life to her Carol Conelly's single mom-waitress act. I was a tad disappointed at the way how Carol's new boyfriend starts to make out - it just didn't fit with the Carol I saw, the Carol who's working many shifts to ensure that she has the money to afford her little boy's asthma treatment, as well as making sure she can also afford the day-to-day finance of her house, where her mom also lives in. I enjoyed Kinnear's 'Simon the **** portrayal, his subtle movements, his manner of speech and delivery, and his physical presence. Cuba Gooding has a very few scenes in the movie, but is no less memorable. I somehow felt that the second half was a little dull compared to the first, but maybe that's because the early fun of seeing Melvin Udall's 'disgrace of a human being' starts to mellow out, and the actual evolution of the movie's plot begins to grow. The screenplay was just strong enough for the material and characters at hand. Obviously, one cannot take one's eyes off Nicholson whenever he's on the screen, whether explaining in such clever sarcasm to Greg about why he works alone at night, or handling Greg's maid, or even when Carol confronts him with the 'you crazy ....' after he tells her quite insensitively that 'we all die, and from what I hear, your son will too'. It's hilarious and its hurtful, but that's the best part - Melvin Udall is a single man, and it's because of a reason - he's just impossible to get along with. It's not for a lack of trying, it's just that he has never met anyone who could show him the mirror and pick out the flaws in his face. Enter Carol, let the movie take its course, and you'll see just how one can change when one is receptive to one's environment. "You make me wanna be a better man" isn't just your standard movie cliched lines, it actually is resonant of Melvin's feelings towards Carol, and it is deeply moving how their relationship evolves and grows. Melvin's attachment to Simon's dog over time is moving and natural. Melvin feels something inside and he is grateful that he has a visitor in his house, and it is disturbingly pleasant. I've seen this movie time and again, because it is Nicholson and Hunt at their very best, and Brooks' direction at its most truthful and honest core. Expand
  5. Apr 5, 2012
    I haven't watched it for soooo long...so I guess it is about time to do it again. Enjoyable indeed! A movie that I don't crazily love, but I like a lot! Unforgettable indeed.
  6. Sep 1, 2013
    Boasting legendary characters brought to life by actors firing on all cylinders and an absolutely marvelous story with enough feels moments to stuff a mattress, "As Good As It Gets" is a romantic comedy with enough charm to breathe hope even into the lives of the hopeless.
  7. Jan 20, 2014
    this movie is a blend of random human emotions, and when you see the word "Random" in my statement that means it's never good.
    yes the performances was over the top, but i don't get these reactions, it seems unrealistic.
  8. Mar 12, 2013
    Great film! Written very well and the acting was phenomenal from the leading cast. The characters feel real and I personally felt like I was part of the experience (which might just be me). A must watch for any serious movie fan.
  9. Sep 15, 2013
    Though it won some Oscars, I hate this movie. Jack Nicholson is painful to watch, and Helen Hunt is only okay. Watching it feels like a medication wearing off.

1. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A sporadically funny romantic comedy with all the dramatic plausibility and tonal consistency of a TV variety show.
  2. Reviewed by: John Hartl
    Even as you question the central premise, Brooks makes you want to buy into it.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Keogh
    Over the course of two-and-a-half hours, the film not only gets up on wobbly legs but learns to dance by the closing credits.