8.8

1. Oct 25, 2014
    Ok, this movie is simply a masterpiece all the way around! The writing, the acting, the risk-taking. It does an incredible job of presenting the character complexity of three 'broken' people which start to be healed by each other through, well friendship / love. The thing that is so cool is there are no actual 'one-liners' per say. The comedy is about the irony of the characters and theOk, this movie is simply a masterpiece all the way around! The writing, the acting, the risk-taking. It does an incredible job of presenting the character complexity of three 'broken' people which start to be healed by each other through, well friendship / love. The thing that is so cool is there are no actual 'one-liners' per say. The comedy is about the irony of the characters and the situation of the scene itself. For instance, Melvin Udall has no clue how to deal with normal social situations, causing rage reactions from everything that comes out of his mouth, yet he's a successful 'romance novelist' that understands the heart and head of woman — subtle but super hilarious! A must see. Expand
  2. Oct 7, 2014
    Horrible, whiny, implausible. Who is not annoying in this thing? We suffer, the DOG suffers. Yet another fantasy of a grumpy old guy being forgiven for his utterly misanthropic actions by a beautiful woman 20 or more years his junior. Maybe some interesting points to be made about the mentally ill, but it isn't comedy and it sure did not need to be this long!
  3. Aug 27, 2014
    A masterpiece. One of the best written films of the modern era. The dialogue is astounding--with impressive performances from Nicholson, Hunt and Kinnear.
  4. Aug 6, 2014
    I watched this movie multiple times and I loved it. With it's quirky humor and funny storyline, this movie is one of Jack Nicholson's best (winning him an Oscar), the performance by Helen Hunt made me change my mind about her, from that stupid TV show to this, wow, this also won her an Oscar.
  5. Jan 20, 2014
    this movie is a blend of random human emotions, and when you see the word "Random" in my statement that means it's never good.
    yes the performances was over the top, but i don't get these reactions, it seems unrealistic.
  6. Sep 25, 2013
    As funny as it is timeless, As Good As It Gets is one of the greatest movies of the 1990s, and one in which costars Helen Hunt and Jack Nicholson should be proud to have been a part of with their extensive acting careers. If you have never seen As Good As It Gets and have any appreciation for great movies that don't require big action sequences or extra gore, this is one to watch at leastAs funny as it is timeless, As Good As It Gets is one of the greatest movies of the 1990s, and one in which costars Helen Hunt and Jack Nicholson should be proud to have been a part of with their extensive acting careers. If you have never seen As Good As It Gets and have any appreciation for great movies that don't require big action sequences or extra gore, this is one to watch at least once (if not many times over). Expand
  7. Sep 15, 2013
    Though it won some Oscars, I hate this movie. Jack Nicholson is painful to watch, and Helen Hunt is only okay. Watching it feels like a medication wearing off.
  8. Sep 1, 2013
    Boasting legendary characters brought to life by actors firing on all cylinders and an absolutely marvelous story with enough feels moments to stuff a mattress, "As Good As It Gets" is a romantic comedy with enough charm to breathe hope even into the lives of the hopeless.
  9. Jul 24, 2013
    Very well scripted with some really great one-liners; mostly delivered by Jack Nicholson; although there is one point where Greg Kinnear does a rather good impression. Both Jack and Helen Hunt put in great performances that were worthy of praise. My main niggle is that it is way too long; it could have easily been shortened by at least 20 minutes and that would have maybe given it a littleVery well scripted with some really great one-liners; mostly delivered by Jack Nicholson; although there is one point where Greg Kinnear does a rather good impression. Both Jack and Helen Hunt put in great performances that were worthy of praise. My main niggle is that it is way too long; it could have easily been shortened by at least 20 minutes and that would have maybe given it a little more punch. Not that I was bored you understand, far from it, I just felt it would have benefited from being a little shorter. Enough of that; it’s a very well made film with some excellent performances and a touching, well written, script. Well worth a look.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.7/10.
  10. Mar 12, 2013
    Great film! Written very well and the acting was phenomenal from the leading cast. The characters feel real and I personally felt like I was part of the experience (which might just be me). A must watch for any serious movie fan.
  11. Aug 7, 2012
    As good as it gets is a pretty good and unique movie, that will leave movie fans happy at the end, especially because of its heart warming final scene.
  12. Apr 5, 2012
    I haven't watched it for soooo long...so I guess it is about time to do it again. Enjoyable indeed! A movie that I don't crazily love, but I like a lot! Unforgettable indeed.
  13. Mar 24, 2011
    The first thing I asked myself after I saw this movie was - how good can Jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt, Greg Kinnear, and Cuba Gooding be? Can they be any better? Director James L Brook's speciality is exploring the human psyche, emotions and portrayals of these many emotions and parts. Nicholson's Melvin Udall is an obsessive-compulsive disorder, frantic and unstable-yet-stable in his waysThe first thing I asked myself after I saw this movie was - how good can Jack Nicholson, Helen Hunt, Greg Kinnear, and Cuba Gooding be? Can they be any better? Director James L Brook's speciality is exploring the human psyche, emotions and portrayals of these many emotions and parts. Nicholson's Melvin Udall is an obsessive-compulsive disorder, frantic and unstable-yet-stable in his ways in life. I liked how Hunt gave life to her Carol Conelly's single mom-waitress act. I was a tad disappointed at the way how Carol's new boyfriend starts to make out - it just didn't fit with the Carol I saw, the Carol who's working many shifts to ensure that she has the money to afford her little boy's asthma treatment, as well as making sure she can also afford the day-to-day finance of her house, where her mom also lives in. I enjoyed Kinnear's 'Simon the **** portrayal, his subtle movements, his manner of speech and delivery, and his physical presence. Cuba Gooding has a very few scenes in the movie, but is no less memorable. I somehow felt that the second half was a little dull compared to the first, but maybe that's because the early fun of seeing Melvin Udall's 'disgrace of a human being' starts to mellow out, and the actual evolution of the movie's plot begins to grow. The screenplay was just strong enough for the material and characters at hand. Obviously, one cannot take one's eyes off Nicholson whenever he's on the screen, whether explaining in such clever sarcasm to Greg about why he works alone at night, or handling Greg's maid, or even when Carol confronts him with the 'you crazy ....' after he tells her quite insensitively that 'we all die, and from what I hear, your son will too'. It's hilarious and its hurtful, but that's the best part - Melvin Udall is a single man, and it's because of a reason - he's just impossible to get along with. It's not for a lack of trying, it's just that he has never met anyone who could show him the mirror and pick out the flaws in his face. Enter Carol, let the movie take its course, and you'll see just how one can change when one is receptive to one's environment. "You make me wanna be a better man" isn't just your standard movie cliched lines, it actually is resonant of Melvin's feelings towards Carol, and it is deeply moving how their relationship evolves and grows. Melvin's attachment to Simon's dog over time is moving and natural. Melvin feels something inside and he is grateful that he has a visitor in his house, and it is disturbingly pleasant. I've seen this movie time and again, because it is Nicholson and Hunt at their very best, and Brooks' direction at its most truthful and honest core. Expand
  14. MelS.
    Mar 6, 2008
    This my favorite movie. Phenomenal actors portraying how hard it is, and how worth it is, to change.
  15. RichardJ.
    Jul 13, 2006
    I personally think this film i s great, and shows how people can change with time! I thought Jack Nicholson's character was amazing and showed why he's such a good actor! This is wel acted and is funy when it needs to be! To me this fil is much better then About Schmidt! I think the score should be changed around! Watch this film you won't be disappointed!
  16. CaptainCraig
    Feb 20, 2005
    Real people in real relationships. No cop out sex, vioiolence or car chases. Just great movie makeing which is as good as it gets!
  17. AndrewM.
    Jul 8, 2004
    This is a good film, but in truth it's lightweight entertainment dressed up in heavy clothing. The performances are definite highlights, the script has good depth, but really it's not a film of huge substance. I did like it but it's not "as good as it gets"; it will just happily consume a couple of hours of your life.
  18. PatC.
    Dec 19, 2003
    Wait, it get's worse. It's really a cute show, but afterwards I was increasingly sore from all my buttons being pushed.
  19. Jeremy
    Oct 16, 2003
    As great as the performances were from it's three big stars, the real winner is James L. Brooks screenplay, which is romantic, hard-edged, and darkly comical without turning to mush.
  20. MihaG.
    May 3, 2003
    What's wrong with the critics? 20?!? This one's a 100. Maybe I got the impression that characters are not real from time to time, like watching a play in theater, but this is not a flaw. Characters are great. Anyone should see this one and judge for himself.
  21. DogPetitB.
    Mar 3, 2003
    As resqueted by many of you, now you can see pictures of my dog and related information at www.cachorritos.com and for those of you that were interested in puppies, I have great news!
  22. AaronS.
    Dec 31, 2002
    Brilliant, brash, hilarious. Only on repeated viewings does the way-happy/ way-sad/way-mad flip flopping nature of Helen Hunt grind on one's nerves.
  23. Clint
    Aug 26, 2002
    Perfect. I've seen this movie like ten times and i still get the feeling that i want to watch specifically this movie again. Jack nicholson is the probably the greatest actor of all time.
  24. Sam
    Nov 30, 2001
    Has to be the funniest movie of all time.

1. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A sporadically funny romantic comedy with all the dramatic plausibility and tonal consistency of a TV variety show.
  2. Film.com
    Reviewed by: John Hartl
    Even as you question the central premise, Brooks makes you want to buy into it.
  3. Film.com
    Reviewed by: Tom Keogh
    Over the course of two-and-a-half hours, the film not only gets up on wobbly legs but learns to dance by the closing credits.