Atlantis: The Lost Empire

7.7

1. RandomG
    Jul 28, 2009
    Excellent effects, voice acting, music, humor, and plot make this in my opinion the best movie to come from Disney yet.
  2. May 12, 2012
    I'm very surprised that this movie was hated critically and publicly. I saw this when I was about 10, and I thought it was incredible. I mean, it's not the best Disney film but it's not bad at all. The animation, you gotta admit is very cool. I guess little kids found this movie boring and dark, I was getting older and started to watch serious stuff. This movie did kinda felt a little bitI'm very surprised that this movie was hated critically and publicly. I saw this when I was about 10, and I thought it was incredible. I mean, it's not the best Disney film but it's not bad at all. The animation, you gotta admit is very cool. I guess little kids found this movie boring and dark, I was getting older and started to watch serious stuff. This movie did kinda felt a little bit like a grown up movie like "Fantasia", but I loved it. This was probably what Disney wanted to try something new, and sadly it didn't work. But it did work for me, and I enjoyed watching it every time. But come on, when you put this next to something like "Home on the Range", you would wanna watch "Atlantis: The Lost Empire" instead. Expand
  3. Oct 5, 2011
    "Atlantis: The Lost Empire" is a great summer blockbuster animation that will keep you entertained for the rest of your time watching it.
  4. BenM
    May 27, 2009
    I never paid much attention to this movie to begin with, it seemed like yet another Disney flick that didn't quite make it. But I decided to watch it after reading a bit more on it and finding out that it didn't have singing, which I grew out of long ago. I loved this film! I think that one of the reasons the film didn't to too well was that it may have been a bit on the I never paid much attention to this movie to begin with, it seemed like yet another Disney flick that didn't quite make it. But I decided to watch it after reading a bit more on it and finding out that it didn't have singing, which I grew out of long ago. I loved this film! I think that one of the reasons the film didn't to too well was that it may have been a bit on the mature side and not appeal to young children, but the people who would've enjoyed it the most were out of the target demographic and didn't bother because they assumed it was a typical Disney children's film like I did. The film is short, only one and a half hours but it manages to pack in a solid adventure, great visuals and a wonderful musical score. Expand
  5. GuyS
    Aug 24, 2008
    I cannot believe that respected reviewers graded such a movie so poorly. It leads me to believe that they simply stamped it with a "mediocre" label and didn't seriously watch it because it wasn't like Disney's other cartoons by comparison. The fantasy elements I thought were exceptional, and the story, admittedly is abrupt, has at least more creativity and originality in it I cannot believe that respected reviewers graded such a movie so poorly. It leads me to believe that they simply stamped it with a "mediocre" label and didn't seriously watch it because it wasn't like Disney's other cartoons by comparison. The fantasy elements I thought were exceptional, and the story, admittedly is abrupt, has at least more creativity and originality in it than carbon copying and sugar coating old "brothers grimm" tales. It is grossly under-appreciated simply because of its more serious nature. In a time where Disney is making movies with serious elements like Pirates of the Caribbean, you'd think Atlantis would at least do more than collect dust by now. It is funny how a decade ago Disney's seriously oriented movies were never famous, and now their most famous franchises aren't even cartoons anymore. Expand
  6. Oct 23, 2010
    the critics are just being ignorant. this movie was brilliant. though, it has no talking animals, it has adventure, suspense, and romance as well as other disney movies. so, to those who like this are really guided to their opinion.
  7. Feb 4, 2011
    a thoroughly enjoyable, engrossing , funny disney film, can't really understand most of the critics hate for it but it was cool. The comic book artstyle was beautiful, voice acting was brilliant and a round all entertaining movie.
  8. Sep 1, 2014
    One of Disney's more understated films of late. It's an epic retelling of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea which contains high energy and huge creativity.
  9. May 20, 2012
    This movie is one of the most underrated movie I've ever seen. It is funny and exiting. I don't know how people can't like it. It haves a great plot, fantastic characters and some funny, great moments. Just, buy it and you will enjoy it, because Atlantis is one of the best Disney animated film, since Lion King.
  10. Mar 15, 2013
    One of my favorite Disney movies. It has everything I look for in a Disney movie. Adventure, romance, action, comedy, and above all else, excellent hand drawn visuals. One drawback is perhaps that most of the side character really don't get enough development as they are clearly well thought out and well voiced. Overall: One of Disneys classics in my opinion.
  11. Jan 26, 2014
    This is one of the most underrated Disney movies... even by Disney... Take a look around the park and tell me how many Atlantis items you see the next time you go. I will save you the trip little if any. I had always enjoyed this movie and it is a shame how poorly it was treated by Disney.
  12. Apr 22, 2011
    'Atlantis' peaks the list of most underrated animated films of all time. Exciting, adventurous and intriguingly mysterious, it features non-stop entertainment, and some energetic and creative characters.
  13. Aug 27, 2011
    A good all around action-adventure flick with a little romance on the side. I salute Disney's attempt at trying something different, in spite of the critics longing for another musical at the time. Highly recommend.
  14. Dec 30, 2011
    Sadly this movie goes by way too fast for you to know what is going on which causes the whole movie to collapse. It does have some great animated moments though. Hey it was a good try for Disney. I give this movie 42%.
  15. Sep 14, 2011
    Atlantis the Lost Empire is one of the most underrated animated Disney movies of all time. The only real problem was that it was confusing from time to time. Other than that, it's a great movie.
  16. Mar 31, 2015
    Atlantis has some comic scenes that made me laugh. Other scenes made me sad. And others made me glad. It is a movie any age can enjoy. It was an excellent rendition of an ancient myth. The animation was somewhat odd, but nothing new from Disney. It was definitely better than expected for a Disney movie with no singing.
  17. Nov 26, 2015
    Okay, I rarely EVER give a movie a zero. I only do so when I can't enjoy ANYTHING about the movie. This is one of those cases. The story is rushed, and so fast paced it's hard to keep track of all the characters and what the hell is even going on. Secondly, the target audience is unclear. Sometimes, the humour is overly juvenile, and sometimes, it seems Disney are tying to make a seriousOkay, I rarely EVER give a movie a zero. I only do so when I can't enjoy ANYTHING about the movie. This is one of those cases. The story is rushed, and so fast paced it's hard to keep track of all the characters and what the hell is even going on. Secondly, the target audience is unclear. Sometimes, the humour is overly juvenile, and sometimes, it seems Disney are tying to make a serious or emotional scene for the adults to enjoy (although I seriously doubt they would enjoy it).

In short, this is one of the (if not the absolute) worst animated movies I have ever seen, and definitely one of Disney's worst. The plot is dull, and there are too many unnecessary and unlikable characters. Honestly, had Lilo and Stitch not come out after this, I would have lost hope in Disney.
  18. ToriD.
    May 16, 2002
    What has happened to Disney? Not only can they not come up with anything original, but now they are completely straying from the rules when it comes to their animated summer movies. It was an interesting story, mildly entertaining, and Mole was funny, but it just wasn't what it should have been. I kept waiting for some furry animal to show up and help out Milo or for them all to What has happened to Disney? Not only can they not come up with anything original, but now they are completely straying from the rules when it comes to their animated summer movies. It was an interesting story, mildly entertaining, and Mole was funny, but it just wasn't what it should have been. I kept waiting for some furry animal to show up and help out Milo or for them all to burst in song like all of the other movies, but it never happened. What's worse, it was rated PG?? Come on, Eisner!! Everybody liked the other, typical Disney cartoons but I didn't hear too many good reviews for this one. Go back to what works. Expand
  19. MelissaT.
    May 16, 2003
    Extremely disappointing for a Disney animated flick. There were a few bright spots upon Milo's entry into Atlantis, but that did not last long. The characters were unlikeable, the plot was boring and the music was dull. I suppose a continuation of Disney going downhill.
  20. MichaelM.
    Jun 25, 2001
    Axe-wielding maniacs seem a little too strong for the kiddies. Some unrealistic characters and plot holes make it less enjoyable for adults. Spectacular animation and lots of action are it's only saving grace.
  21. Fox
    Jan 28, 2002
    I highly am disappointed in Disney concerning this film. I've done research and found that everything in the film is copied from "Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water," a japanese anine series. Yet they claim everything in the film is original. Look it up yourself, you'll see its exactly the same.
  22. Layne
    Jul 25, 2003
    Disney is definitely plunging into dangerous waters. Instead of more glorious films like The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, we're stuck with mediocre films like Atlantis: The Lost Empire.
  23. MeganW.
    Jun 30, 2001
    It was a perfect 10! Best of all the Disney stuff I've seen! No cute little talking animals or big fancy romance. Just adventure and suspense. "Shrek" was funny, but it was too much of a "romantic comedy." I've never been one for romance combined with comedy myself, but I liked both movies almost equally, and there shouldn't be comparison between them. They are both It was a perfect 10! Best of all the Disney stuff I've seen! No cute little talking animals or big fancy romance. Just adventure and suspense. "Shrek" was funny, but it was too much of a "romantic comedy." I've never been one for romance combined with comedy myself, but I liked both movies almost equally, and there shouldn't be comparison between them. They are both excellent films in their own ways. (Stop dissing Disney you freaks!) Sorry, to all you people that hated Atlantis, you are entitled to you WRONG opinion. (Just kidding.) Expand
  24. SeamoreB.
    Sep 4, 2001
    This movie was pretty well done. I think they could have added a little more, but other movies (pokemon comes to mind) are really lacking. This movie is good compared to some other stuff I've recently seen.
  25. SeamoreB.
    Sep 4, 2001
  26. AndyP.
    Jan 9, 2002
    Wonderful movie. Charecters were awesome, animation wasn't perfect (that's cool) and you never knew what was going to happen. It's an A rated movie, unlike "Shrek," which I would give an F because it copied from other wonderful movies.
  27. RogerB.
    Feb 8, 2002
    Overall an enjoyable movie for the kids but had much more potential. Somewhat enjoyable but not a classic by any stretch.
  28. MeganD.
    Mar 3, 2002
    To those who are positive that this movie is copied from "Nadia", I am positive that you're wrong. I'm a big Nadia fan and I've seen all the episodes. I'll admit that there are some similarities, but that is mostly owing to the fact that both "Nadia" and "Atlantis" drew their ideas from "20,000 Laegues Under the Sea." The important things, such as the plot of the To those who are positive that this movie is copied from "Nadia", I am positive that you're wrong. I'm a big Nadia fan and I've seen all the episodes. I'll admit that there are some similarities, but that is mostly owing to the fact that both "Nadia" and "Atlantis" drew their ideas from "20,000 Laegues Under the Sea." The important things, such as the plot of the movie, are very different. Expand
  29. BrandyW.
    Sep 30, 2003
    I am a hard core disney fan and this movie is one of my fav's. it's different..that's what is so good about it. the different look fits. and the story line makes you think more...they took this myth/true fact and made it a movie. it made me want to know all about this advanced city of Atlantis. it's awesome!
  30. AaronD.
    Oct 4, 2006
    The movie is more teen related, yet I thought it was one of the best movies I
  31. AravisA.
    Oct 25, 2001
    I loved it! It made me long for adventure and I could relate to the characters. I loved the visual effects and I absolutly enjoyed the fact that there was no singing through the whole thing. I hope there's a sequel in the works!
  32. BrennanY.
    Jul 2, 2001
    I loved it because it's better than all the other Disney animated movies. It had more and better action sequences and a lot of good characters.
  33. Bronwyn
    Jul 27, 2001
    The first time I saw it, it was awesome! But the second time, it got boring.
  34. PepiL.
    Aug 23, 2001
    Very good animation!! As good as "Hercules" and "Aladdin."
  35. AndrewW.
    Nov 8, 2002
    It was the bomb, the best, it was all that and a bag of chips. Yo Mr.Producers Or Mrs.Producers y'all did it baby!!
  36. AustinM.
    Jan 30, 2002
    Everyone is saying this move is bad. Well this may not have been the best Disney movie ever, but I like it. The animation isn't great, but I like the story a lot! I would give it about an A-
    Feb 3, 2002
    I loved it, and I think they should make a sequel!
  38. KelvinC.
    Apr 20, 2002
    This new Disney movie is awesome. The characters are as usual very attaching and humoristic. It's just the plot that suffers a bit, but the great graphics of the film compensate for that. Looking forward to a sequel!
  39. RobertS.
    May 9, 2002
    I love it!!! A mixture of action, adventure, terrific animation, fantastic music (from James Newton Howard), a stunning plot, great characters, and Atlantis rolled into one. I recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys a fun rid of a movie. note: I have also done research, but most of the "Nadia vs. Atlantis" sites I've said have retracted their statesment about Atlantis copying I love it!!! A mixture of action, adventure, terrific animation, fantastic music (from James Newton Howard), a stunning plot, great characters, and Atlantis rolled into one. I recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys a fun rid of a movie. note: I have also done research, but most of the "Nadia vs. Atlantis" sites I've said have retracted their statesment about Atlantis copying Nadia, but have said that it was more similar to Stargate. I own Stargate and there is a little resemblance, but that dosen't ruin Atlantis at all for me!!!!!!! :) Expand
  40. AshleyM.
    Aug 2, 2002
    It is beautiful. The animation is awesome, it's thrilling, i love it.
  41. LaniB.
    Jan 9, 2003
    This was the best movie I've ever seen in my entire life!!! The characters are all so cool, and the movie has a bit of everything in it: Action, humour, even a bit of romance. WOO HOO!!! ATLANTIS RULES!
  42. CindyM.
    Apr 19, 2003
    This movie is fantastic!! At first when my family told me that we were going to watch it Ididn't want to but as soon as I was in that cinema watching Atlantis Ilearned that there is more to see. Ithink that the graphics are awesome. Mr DIRECTOROR mRS dIRECTOR yOU ARE COOL.
  43. SimonD.
    Jun 26, 2003
    This film boasts some delightful visuals, excellent voice acting by a fine mix of established stars and Disney veterans, and great action sequences. The pot holes, and a cetain amount of new age nonsense, however, are probably what did this in at the box office. A worthy effort by Disney to go beyond the limits of American animation but not enough to make American treat animation as This film boasts some delightful visuals, excellent voice acting by a fine mix of established stars and Disney veterans, and great action sequences. The pot holes, and a cetain amount of new age nonsense, however, are probably what did this in at the box office. A worthy effort by Disney to go beyond the limits of American animation but not enough to make American treat animation as anything but comedy. Expand
  44. LilyK.
    Nov 27, 2001
    This was a cool movie! It is my favorite Disney movie!!
  45. MichaelC.
    Sep 21, 2001
    Disney has indeed released a flock of good movies recently. Dinosaur, The Emperor?s New Groove and now Atlantis: The Lost Empire have all been fantastic...I was indeed blown away by this film. The visuals are some of the best in any cartoon; the zoom-back scenes are particularly eye-catching. The script and story are surprisingly intelligent and well explained. The script especially Disney has indeed released a flock of good movies recently. Dinosaur, The Emperor?s New Groove and now Atlantis: The Lost Empire have all been fantastic...I was indeed blown away by this film. The visuals are some of the best in any cartoon; the zoom-back scenes are particularly eye-catching. The script and story are surprisingly intelligent and well explained. The script especially brings out the adventure in the film with humour, suspense and intrigue. I enjoyed the film?s many ideas and thought the direction and animation were both very focused. One scene I particularly liked in this movie was the one where all the characters are about to bunk and they look back on one another?s history. It develops these characters and brings them to life. However, I would?ve liked to have heard the story of the hilarious Mole, but it never came up. I think children will not enjoy this movie as much as adults will. They may not be able to understand the ending very well but adults will no doubt love this movie. It is a lot more complex than some of the recent animated movies and a lot more likeable, but it still doesn?t surpass the 2nd best movie of the year so far, Shrek. But I?ll tell you this, it definitely isn?t far behind. All in all, this animated adventure was stunning and well made with a mysterious story and a wonderfully passionate, romantic, humorous and action-packed story. Highly recommended! Expand
  46. ErinG.
    Apr 28, 2002
    This is one of my favorite movies! I loved it soo much that I decided to base a school, history report on it. I thought the characters, plot, and setting were fantastic! I hope there is a sequel!
  47. SonnyK.
    Dec 29, 2003
    It is a movie that sensibly explains a great mystery with a story and a plot.
  48. raVen
    Jul 19, 2003
    If Walt were still alive and working, he would have made sure we had a more interesting time GETTING to Atlantis. Here the journey is pretty short and (relatively) easy to complete. But once we're there, Atlantis is beautiful enough, the villains evil enough, and the animation just un-CGI enough to bear the Disney name.
  49. Apr 19, 2012
    I just don't understand all the bad reviews for this film. Atlantis- The Lost Empire is another wonderful Disney film. Atlantis- The Lost Empire doesn't really break a whole lot of new ground, but it's an exceptionally entertaining animated film. The film is about Milo Thatch, a young professor that no one takes seriously who is in search of Atlantis. Once again, Milo's funding propositionI just don't understand all the bad reviews for this film. Atlantis- The Lost Empire is another wonderful Disney film. Atlantis- The Lost Empire doesn't really break a whole lot of new ground, but it's an exceptionally entertaining animated film. The film is about Milo Thatch, a young professor that no one takes seriously who is in search of Atlantis. Once again, Milo's funding proposition is turned down. But all that changes when he's given a package from his long deceased grandfather, and given proper funding by a associate of his. Now Milo goes in search of Atlantis with a crew of colorful characters. The characters are hilarious, to be vague. Dirt experts, explosive enthusiasts, and grease-loving chefs make up a small part of a large and amusing cast. And the voice cast only adds depth to these characters. There are also plenty of genius one liners. The animation boasts impressive visual effects, but there are a lot of flat backgrounds. The score is generally impressive as well. The climatic battle isn't incredible, and it won't raise your pulse, but it's certainly entertaining, and I've seen a lot of action movies with considerably worse final battles than this. Atlantis- The Lost Empire provides a funny and adventurous film that will surely entertain kids and parents alike. Collapse
  50. Aug 8, 2014
    A horribly underrated film that challenges gender roles, the overdone fantasy genre of nearly every Disney animation, and the notion that children can only enjoy cutesy, shallow stories. The characters are quirky without being obnoxious, and although the side characters don't get too much development, I don't feel they need it. You get the gist of their personalities right off the bat, andA horribly underrated film that challenges gender roles, the overdone fantasy genre of nearly every Disney animation, and the notion that children can only enjoy cutesy, shallow stories. The characters are quirky without being obnoxious, and although the side characters don't get too much development, I don't feel they need it. You get the gist of their personalities right off the bat, and they never gave off the impression of being flat, or static. The animation is gorgeous and expressive, with exciting action scenes, beautiful, detailed backgrounds, and fun, unique character design.

The entire movie came off as progressive, and open-minded, something I value in a Disney movie, and something that the newer films very clearly lack. Why continue adding to the pool of cute, feminine, thin, white girls and handsome, strong, white, and manly young men when you can have strong, curvy girls of color, and dorky, lanky, awkward (although no less brave and passionate) men?
  51. Sep 1, 2014
    THIS MOVIE WAS JUST GREAT TO ME! I don't know why but this movie seems to get attention alot especially with the giant rusty barless A that shows up on posters and some previews where it gets struck by lightning in the middle of the ocean during raging weather, and when it's on a rusty gate with writings on the wall, and water ripple lightings.
    The idea of the seastorms are really cool
    The idea of the seastorms are really cool especially on the poster,viking prologue, and the beginning of the movie.The lightning mechanics were well done in the movie.
    The character development for Milo Thatch was GENIUS. Michael J. Fox did outstanding with his voice. It suited his personality traits so well.I can never get enough of him.
    Milo and Kida are my favorite Disney couples PERIOD.
    Blue is my favorite color and this happens to have alot of blue on it.
    The fact that this movie was the very first Disney animated sci-fi movie to come out on June 15th a very interesting day to release a movie, made me wanna try and see it..And yet i'm really happy I did.
    Atlantis may not be may favorite Disney score but James Newton Howard made the music fit so well with the movie itself. Turning it normal life/epic Treasure Planet like music into Deuter like soundscapes music.I love Disney movies without songs.
    It's really interesting how they relate other B.C cultures and history to Atlantis and also when they used Plato's quote. I like it's action violence and also it's references like 2012, Day After Tommorow, Avatar, Battleship, and Tron. 2012 and Day After Tommorow because the natural disasters in the beginning.
    Avatar because of it's plot, Battleship because of the sci-fi technology and the leviathan scene, and Tron because of it's crystalized circuits on the statues and artistic cracks especially the stone effigies chanting around the Heart of Atlantis. Atlantis was a great Disney movie and it really deserves alot of recognition, love, and gratitude. All thanks to the stupid box-office intake, Atlantis remains a *LOST*, underrated Disney movie along with the other Disney flops. But I'm really happy that this movie was even created and I'm happy that I, my friends on deviantART, some of my subscriptions on YouTube, and other random fans can see the good in it to this very day on 2014. Don Hahn, Gary Trousdale, Kirk Wise, and James Newton Howard, you have made this awesome animated sci-fi movie possible for the first time.( IT REALLY SUCKS THAT I DIDN'T GET A CHANGE TO WALK THE BLUE CARPET.)I give this 10 out of 10. Even if the world was disappointed with this film including the box-office, technicality you guys have donea bang-up job and I'am very very proud that this film was even made. Long Live Λ T L Λ N T I S.;-D
  52. May 4, 2015
    Overlooked by the simple fact that this is not a kids movie, it's a teens/YA movie. Most of it is not wacky comedy or zingers, but a serious movie that wants to be taken seriously with some comedy breaks. And the animation...! For me, is the best in WDAS. This movie's looks are like: Disney got jealous from Anastasia, decided to mix it with a comic book and gave it a good script.
  53. Jan 17, 2016
    I don't get all the hate on this. (Ok, sure... there's like 9 from the users plus 4 more from the critics, but the hard reviews from the users though). If you want to know such a bad movie, I'll take you there by going to my profile. For now, there's no valid reason unless your opinion is.. well... an opinion. The animation is well done though you got to admit it. If you want to go rot anI don't get all the hate on this. (Ok, sure... there's like 9 from the users plus 4 more from the critics, but the hard reviews from the users though). If you want to know such a bad movie, I'll take you there by going to my profile. For now, there's no valid reason unless your opinion is.. well... an opinion. The animation is well done though you got to admit it. If you want to go rot an opinion on, I suggest go for my 0's. Expand
  54. Apr 9, 2016
    This is one of the most underrated animated movies , them critics are retarded af saying that this movie was **** when it was a masterpiece . it had a good 2D CGI animation , likable characters , humor its a very dark yet lighthearted sci-fi archaeology adventure type of movie . Def recommended for u to watch

1. Mr. Showbiz
    Reviewed by: Cody Clark
    A wide-eyed, action-adventure throwback to the era of Disney's magnificent adaptation of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea."
    The result is cutesy but harsh, a hybrid of saucer-eyed anime and square-jawed angularity that brings to mind an edgier "Pokemon."
  3. Story line and characterization are decidedly old-fashioned, and a curious decision about production design gives this wide-screen cartoon some of the look and feel of a Saturday morning TV cartoon series