Atonement

7.9

1. salmama
    Dec 31, 2007
    the greatest movie of 2007.it's stunning.we learn a lesson in life not to judge people by our own perception i wish it will receive an oscar for the best motion picture.haven't learned a thing in life from no country for old men a bad mask face guy shooting people!if atonement wins the oscar it will be the right choice classics and novels and stories of life are better than the greatest movie of 2007.it's stunning.we learn a lesson in life not to judge people by our own perception i wish it will receive an oscar for the best motion picture.haven't learned a thing in life from no country for old men a bad mask face guy shooting people!if atonement wins the oscar it will be the right choice classics and novels and stories of life are better than movies which has a similarity to shooter games. Expand
  2. ChaseK.
    Dec 6, 2007
    Stunning. Engaging throughout, and features an amazing five-minute tracking shot through the beach of Dunkirk that is the polar opposite of self-consciousness that everyone says it is. My favorite movie this year.
  3. ChrisJ.
    Dec 7, 2007
    Very moving, faithful adaption of a great novel.
  4. Zaj
    Dec 8, 2007
    Yo this movie was some of that dank shit. I straight up cried in like two parts son. The acting is phenomenal and the screenplay is dope. Two forties up.
  5. PeterK.
    Jan 12, 2008
    Post-modernist elegaic romance in which an unreliable narrator tells a tale that is heavily stylized. The time period and the subject matter bring to mind The English Patient, but without the romantic sentimentality. I recommend this film, but only for those who want a challenge. If you are looking for action or a predictable story line or a quick resolution, try a Bruce Willis film instead.
  6. RogornM.
    Nov 23, 2008
    Cleverly structured (both in book and film), the sequence of revelations makes up for a few bits in which the story, wanting to pause for gorgeous and moody photography, plods a little. Keira Knightley and James McAvoy are superb, and Vanessa Redgrave's scenes to close the film are the definitive clincher. Tremendous adaptation.
  7. JonathanF.
    Jan 13, 2008
    8.5/10 As beautiful a film as it is a story, Atonement is solidly acted and brilliantly filmed. Although it hits a lag after the first hour where the story is thrillingly paced - and accompanied by an exciting typewriter score - it eventually picks up again for the blind-sidingly tragic ending. Without the lagging sequence in the middle, I would likely have rated this a 10. And without 8.5/10 As beautiful a film as it is a story, Atonement is solidly acted and brilliantly filmed. Although it hits a lag after the first hour where the story is thrillingly paced - and accompanied by an exciting typewriter score - it eventually picks up again for the blind-sidingly tragic ending. Without the lagging sequence in the middle, I would likely have rated this a 10. And without the brlliantly original and sad ending it would have been a 7. Juno is my favourite of 2007, but this is a close second with No Country for Old Men. Expand
  8. MollyW.
    Jan 20, 2008
    Bound to get Oscar nods; cinematic turns splendid; subtleties for those who get them; beautifully presented; most decent acting; heartbreaking at the end.
  9. DeniseS.
    Jan 6, 2008
    I suppose you can call me a clean canvas since I didn't read the novel, so I really didn't know what to expect. Although the movie is visually stunning and the acting exceptional (especially James MacAvoy), it left me cold at first. As time went on and I had time to reflect, I became haunted and captivated by the story. A clever and brilliant way to tell a story and hold us to I suppose you can call me a clean canvas since I didn't read the novel, so I really didn't know what to expect. Although the movie is visually stunning and the acting exceptional (especially James MacAvoy), it left me cold at first. As time went on and I had time to reflect, I became haunted and captivated by the story. A clever and brilliant way to tell a story and hold us to view it again to answer more questions. Expand
  10. AustinB.
    Jan 7, 2008
    Unfortunately for Andrew, he appears to lack enough of a brain to simply piece together the fact that you see the same events happen twice, once from the young sister (Briony's) eyes, and once from the older sister (Cicilia); that is the "disconnection" Andrew talks about. It is a very very good movie; full of emotion and great acting and I would recommend it!
  11. WilliamM.
    Feb 13, 2008
    No the atonement bit was not 'tacked on and empty' and if you didn't realize this was an adaption of a book then do a bit of research before you review. Another point is that people who expect the passion to equal that of say Ben Affleck and Kate Beckinsale in pearl harbour will of course be disappointed with a more interesting story of poignantly repressed English emotions No the atonement bit was not 'tacked on and empty' and if you didn't realize this was an adaption of a book then do a bit of research before you review. Another point is that people who expect the passion to equal that of say Ben Affleck and Kate Beckinsale in pearl harbour will of course be disappointed with a more interesting story of poignantly repressed English emotions during the second world war. then again maybe you should stop watching explosions and kisses between nubile film stars and appreciate film and literary quality (although i am quite certain you wont as i have come to realize that half the world is not only as thick as pigsh#t, but takes pride in not improving). Expand
  12. AmyS.
    Feb 15, 2008
    Favourite movie of all time. love it.
  13. LuisG.
    Feb 27, 2008
    McAvoy was snubbed at the oscars in this classic film. Knightley shines as always. Redgrave was perhaps the biggest dissapointment. Garai eerily resembled to a trouble misguided teen. Beautiful score and cinematography.
  14. M.C.
    Mar 19, 2008
    I thought the movie was perfect in everything, the acting, music, the direction of the scenes, how deathly close it was to the book, and the ending. Another stunning performance from the lovely Keira Knightley and an equally impressive performance from James McAvoy. And another thing that this movie seems to be criticized about is the ending; I feel that the ending was very appropriate I thought the movie was perfect in everything, the acting, music, the direction of the scenes, how deathly close it was to the book, and the ending. Another stunning performance from the lovely Keira Knightley and an equally impressive performance from James McAvoy. And another thing that this movie seems to be criticized about is the ending; I feel that the ending was very appropriate and unexpected. Of course it wasn't a happy ending but that's what makes 'Atonement' different from all the other romantic, mushy love stories. And in response to the negative reviews, I feel that you people just can't appreciate and recognize good movies when you see them, but you'd rather see movies with mediocre acting with horrible storylines like 'Meet The Spartans' or 'Step Up,'... please. And also, don't see a movie with the thought that you're not going to like it because most likely you wont. You must see a movie with total disregard of other people's thoughts and reviews on it. Expand
  15. CJ
    Mar 23, 2008
    A beautiful romantic film. The historical drama genre is given an edgy and contemporary feel complemented by superb acting. The orgasmic long take on Dunkirk beach is amazing.
  16. SimonJ>
    Mar 24, 2008
    Well acted, stylish, good soundtrack. If you don't like this film you don't like movies.
  17. DanP.
    Mar 28, 2008
    An epic of wrenching emotion.
  18. AlexandraB.
    Mar 3, 2008
    It is an amazing film i loved it. Great acting from James McAvoy, Keria Knightley. I love the green dress Keria wears. Beautiful love story and such an unexpected ending. Overall a awesome film.
  19. JayH.
    Mar 6, 2008
    The quality of the film is exceptional, art direction, cinematography, costumes and score. Very well written, acted and directed. Saorise Ronan is great. It can be a little slow at times, but it is most always interesting. A bit too long as well.
  20. Akispapas
    Apr 13, 2008
    great movie...
  21. DelilahB.
    Apr 20, 2008
    This movie has some amazing acting and a heart-wrenching story, but none of the characters have much substance besides James McAvoy's. It also goes on a little too long, and some one of the opening England countryside scenes get a little boring. But it is a good story despite it's flaws.
  22. MikS.
    Apr 24, 2008
    Shame on those people who voted five below on this movie! Do they have emotions??
  23. DavidM.
    Apr 4, 2008
    In a time of dry cinematic ideas and redundant story lines this movie shines. This movie makes you think one thing and goes back and explains it and really gives a good feel for perception
  24. JasonS.
    Apr 4, 2008
    I feel as though many of those below me were a bit harsh to this movie. as a guy who really detests chick flicks, this had more than enough character development and plot twists to keep me interested. don't get me wrong, i would still rather watch no country for old men a 6th time.
  25. Bridget
    May 24, 2008
    I loved this movie! the acting was great and I loved it. Those who gave this a bad review obviousley have not read the book, this movie is just as good. If you read the book first it will give you a better insight into the movie, Overall i loved it and will watch it over and over again. Great ending too.
  26. TennisMenace
    May 27, 2008
    Very creative.
  27. TomH
    Jun 22, 2008
    Beautifully photographed, scripted and acted. The performances, the writing and the photography are all great. What could anyone find wrong with this film?
  28. WhitneyL
    Dec 10, 2007
    Oscar worthy. The acting is outstanding. the score is incredible. As a whole it is the best movie of the year by far. PERFECT!
  29. Keith
    Dec 13, 2007
    Surely one of the best of the year. I suspect some will criticize if for its high style and grand approach to technique. But, it is the sort of story that calls for it. For the most part, I thought it excellent and impeccably made. The score, though beautiful, can be a little intrusive at times. Knightly is very good in the opening third of the film, but I found her not passionate enough Surely one of the best of the year. I suspect some will criticize if for its high style and grand approach to technique. But, it is the sort of story that calls for it. For the most part, I thought it excellent and impeccably made. The score, though beautiful, can be a little intrusive at times. Knightly is very good in the opening third of the film, but I found her not passionate enough the rest of the way. She can't seem to match McAvoy's fervor, who is first-rate. I thought the screenplay and direction vivid, surpringly so, for a story that could have been confusing or heavy to the point of drowning. In the end, the movie (and certainly the book) works as a lovely, bittersweet metaphor for how art "rights" life, how it gives happiness to us by imagining things as they should have always been. As Redgrave intimates in the end, reality is fine where we live. But sometimes it's nice to imagine life turning out how we we wished it. Expand
  30. Fantasy
    Dec 14, 2007
    Saw the movie on opening evening and thought it was tremendous. In all seriousness, for the short time Vanessa Redgrave is on the screen, it makes one realize that she is in a league all of her own. Defintely Oscar worthy.

1. An unforgettable examination of a host of dark impulses.
  2. With compelling and charismatic performances by Keira Knightley and James McAvoy as the lovers, and a stunning contribution from Romola Garai as their remorseful nemesis, the film goes directly to "The English Patient" territory and might also expect rapturous audiences and major awards.
  3. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    The movie never goes as deep as the novel (no movie could), but it's a worthy approximation: a Merchant-Ivory movie that turns in on itself with a lucid and painful sigh.