Attack the Block

7.1

1. Dec 18, 2015
    The humour is for the most part poor, and acting performances are overall weak. Nick Frost has his funny moments but the characters your supposed to care about are more ambivalent ones to you. Must say though, Alex Esmail was brilliant in this film, he really has some comedic chops. The film provides a look into underprivileged teenagers of the U.K. and how they are review by the outerThe humour is for the most part poor, and acting performances are overall weak. Nick Frost has his funny moments but the characters your supposed to care about are more ambivalent ones to you. Must say though, Alex Esmail was brilliant in this film, he really has some comedic chops. The film provides a look into underprivileged teenagers of the U.K. and how they are review by the outer oublic which is interesting, but the material around the main subject matter is weak and sadly doesn't provide much substance. Expand
  2. Aug 10, 2011
    Joe Cornish makes a fundamental blunder with the story that cripples the movie before it really gets going. You don't allow your lead character - your hero - to band together with his young masked male friends, to surround a terrified nurse, and then threaten her with a knife until she surrenders her bag, her ring, etc. TARP (the average reasonable person) probably ancipated a rape. JoeJoe Cornish makes a fundamental blunder with the story that cripples the movie before it really gets going. You don't allow your lead character - your hero - to band together with his young masked male friends, to surround a terrified nurse, and then threaten her with a knife until she surrenders her bag, her ring, etc. TARP (the average reasonable person) probably ancipated a rape. Joe must not have a mother, sisters or female friends he cares a whip about. It's a little tough for the lead character to redeem himself in the eyes of the audience after an opening act like that. Even when the same youngster (Moses) forces himself into the young lady's flat to flee the aliens, he never gives the lady a choice but help his buddy. He later semi-apologizes to her, saying he did it because he didn't know she was "from the block." Yes, he would have robbed her of her dignity with a clear head if she was from the next block. It was interesting that I saw this film a couple of nights after the London riots began because the youngsters from this film looked a lot like the rascals looting and burning the stores around that great city. In this context, and thinking about my own sister and mother, I just couldn't find myself so easy to forgive Moses and his pals for their crimes againt the young nurse. Beyond this fundamental problem, the movie is just not all that funny, and the aliens are not all that scary. Sorry, Joe. Try again. Expand
  3. Nov 16, 2011
    The plot was boring, the actors were talentless, and the language used was forced and cringe worthy. The only thing this film would have had going for it would have been humour. I didn't laugh once. Awful.
  4. Jan 15, 2016
    For those of us who don't speak fluent chav, the script is completely incomprehensible. Not that it especially matters, because the protagonists are some of the most disgusting characters to ever feature in a film. The first thing you see the protagonists do is mug a woman. For a start, I thought the woman was originally going to be the main character, while the group of teenagers wereFor those of us who don't speak fluent chav, the script is completely incomprehensible. Not that it especially matters, because the protagonists are some of the most disgusting characters to ever feature in a film. The first thing you see the protagonists do is mug a woman. For a start, I thought the woman was originally going to be the main character, while the group of teenagers were going to be fodder for the aliens.
    I was sadly mistaken.
    Having villains for main characters is nothing new. That is not the problem. Having someone like the Joker, or Darth Vader, or any number of famous villains as protagonists would be perfectly alright. Because they are over the top. They would never actually exist. The problem is that these kind of people do exist, and this film seems to expect me to empathise with them?
    I spent the entire film loathing their existence, to the point where I was actually rooting for the aliens. And it wasn't as if the characters were in some way memorable - I could barely tell them apart most of the time.
    Possibly due to not being able to understand the script, I failed to see where the humour came in with this film. It was just a low-budget horror film with despicable characters and an even worse script. Forgettable, and easily despised.
  5. Sep 15, 2014
    This movie teases you initially with extraterrestrial comeuppance being visited on thuggish criminals and deftly defies your expectations by centring the plot firmly on them and their triumphs. Unfortunately at that point you're left with zero empathy for the protagonists and the film settles into a waiting game whereby time passes while you continuously hope they meet unfortunate ends.This movie teases you initially with extraterrestrial comeuppance being visited on thuggish criminals and deftly defies your expectations by centring the plot firmly on them and their triumphs. Unfortunately at that point you're left with zero empathy for the protagonists and the film settles into a waiting game whereby time passes while you continuously hope they meet unfortunate ends. The humour present in the film doesn't counterbalance this deep central flaw. Expand

1. Reviewed by: M. E. Russell
    Sep 8, 2011
    A terrific midnight movie of the future -- a tough, funny, fast-moving and tightly constructed John Carpenter riff in which a bickering group fights a pack of space monsters in and around a single location.
  2. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Sep 1, 2011
    The movie is more interested in making viewers consider its disenfranchised protagonists from a fresh perspective. The fact that the film accomplishes this without a trace of gooey sentimentality is a small miracle.
  3. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    Aug 25, 2011
    In the end, police descend on the block at the very moment their presence becomes irrelevant. They misinterpret everything; locals watch as they blame all the wrong people. Soon their flashing lights will drive away, and the block will go back to taking care of itself the best it can.