7.1

1. Jul 25, 2014
    August: Osage Country tiene un argumento sencillo de una familia con problemas familiares estando en la misma casa, pero sin dudas se logra aprovechar ese sencillo argumento para que logre ser una película de alto nivel.
  2. Jul 1, 2014
    I don’t really see how watching people yell at one another for two hours could be entertaining, but August Osage County seemed to avoid complete disaster. This film follows three sisters that are brought back together to their childhood home after a family crisis. The three sisters are faced with taking care of their drug addicted mother while dealing with one another’s many problems. The editing and camera work were well done, but nothing exciting. Thanks to a huge cast full of talent and the acting was smooth and natural. The many verbal fights in the film worked only because of the skilled cast. There were many instances in which the verbal battles gave me this awkward feeling of wanting to sink in my seat, to me that screams realistic fight scenario. So for being a realistic film it was well done, but for being a enjoyable film, not so much. It’s safe to say I did not get much entertainment out of the film but came away with a realization that I never want to end up like anyone in this film. In the end, redeeming qualities don’t shine though and viewers are left with unsatisfactory closure. The acting was some of the best from last year, but that’s about all I got out of the film. Overall the film consists of watching people’s many problems unfold with hardly any solutions. Expand
  3. Jun 20, 2014
    Any film adapted from an awards-winning play is prominently a fertile ground for any decent thespians to seize various meaty roles and to be transported to the road to Oscar and Weinstein company is unrivalled for this manuveur, last year’s surefire is AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY, and ends up adding a solid brick to Streep’s insuperable nomination record for actors, now ups to 18 (and keeps surging), and a welcome-back recognition for an over-the-hill Julia Roberts (once the most bankable female movie star in Hollywood if younger generation is oblivious about that).
    read rest of the review on my blog: google cinema omnivore, thanks
  4. May 27, 2014
    The cast is great, and Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts give one of the best performances of both their careers. The screenplay and direction isn't the best. But the main reason to see this film is for one of the best ensembles of the year.
  5. May 22, 2014
    August: Osage County is definitely more tiring than captivating despite the story having good potential to be quite interesting. It is really a performance movie, but another area it fails in is that the performances just aren't strong enough to carry the whole film. Think about Dallas Buyers Club, that had incredible acting all round and (although the story and writing was brilliant) the acting alone could have redeemed most bad points you could come up with. But in August: Osage County the characters are not portrayed in a very unique way, all the performances are merely pretty good. Meryl Streep got nominated for a **** tonne of awards like always when she really didn't deserve many of them. Don't get me wrong they're not bad just straightforward performances and undeniably nothing special. The first hour really didn't have my attention and wasn't exactly boring, just painfully slow. Thank god in the last 40 minutes or so it sped up because it saved this from being a pointless and undeniably boring movie about pretty much nothing. Most loose ends are tied up in a satisfying way and the ones left without an explanation are left like that for a good reason. Meryl Streep's story and ending just annoyed me though. Throughout the whole movie all she did was act **** and moan about things. The performances are decent, the story not very interesting but bearable, the chemistry between the cast very good and a strong ending which redeems quite a few weak aspects. Only worth watching if you're good at analyzing movies and noticing things like cinematography and foreshadowing, otherwise it will bore you to death. Expand
  6. May 10, 2014
    Despite the outstanding cast, beautiful landscapes and production values I have to say: watching this movie was a horrible experience. The character's are so relentlessly, gratuitously nasty, abusive and aggressive it is painful to watch. The Weinstein Company should be charged with hate crimes against residents of Osage County who are tarred by association to this.
  7. May 2, 2014
    Meryl Steep, once again, proves she can beat the whole cast by her self, by the hand of a disorganise family that has a story to tell. All cast is top notch, but it seems that the whole movie depends on screams and fights, and tends to annoy several times.
  8. Apr 16, 2014
    blech. expecting dark/black humor because: tracy letts. couldn't finish watching. so much scenery chewing by meryl streep. julia roberts/ewan macgregor: not a match made in heaven. and her face is largely expressionless. insertion of outsider as silent witness (native american nurse) so obvious. just a mess as a film.
  9. Apr 14, 2014
    i had to remake my review . I saw august osage county as Meryl Streep plays a drug addict mother . her acting in this film is heartwarming , got a little love in it .
    Grade A+
  10. Apr 10, 2014
    Trite and uneven, AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY may once and for all disprove Leo Tolstoy's very famous and over-used quote, "All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.' This mess of a movie ladles out the usual American family dysfunctions without a trace of insight or depth. We've seen it all before, much better/much worse, in the theater, on film and hourly on television. Clearly there is talent involved from Pulitzer Prize winner Tracy Letts, who adapted the film from his own wildly successful and respected play, to a team of top producers who put together a star studded cast more for their wattage than cohesion. Meryl Streep leads the dysfunction while still overplaying the mother superior from DOUBT. Director John Wells is unable to reign her in or create any rapport among the actors. AUGUST requires a true ensemble, but with the film you never believe this is a real family. Julia Roberts comes out on top both in plot and performance but it really doesn't matter. She and everyone one else is done in by a film that really doesn't know what it wants to be. The cinematography is bright when it should be dark. The music sweetens when it should bite. Worst of all, the claustrophobia of the play is undermined with characters running in and out of the house like cracked up lab rats. This is not a work that needed to be opened-up. In fact, it needed to be closed in. Made more tight and claustrophobic for the screen. And when the characters do sit and stick around for abuse at the dinner table, you'll ask, "Why don't they just leave again?" AUGUST is truly a mess of a county. Expand
  11. Mar 21, 2014
    If you enjoy watching family dysfunction on screen, then August: Osage County is heaven at your door step. This film offers incredible performances, flamboyant set-pieces and a story that certainly won’t leave you hungry. If you have the energy to sit back and absorb a powerful and fiery set of performances then this film is perfect for you, if you don’t, then the film is still perfect.

Adapted from the Tracy Letts play of the same name, August: Osage County is his third to reach the screen, following William Freidkin’s films Bug and Killer Joe. On the surface, it may seem like his most straightforward piece, however beneath it rests the most perverse and violent truths. The Weston clan are a family located in the heart of Osage County, situated in the northern territory of Oklahoma. They are a family who withhold a panorama of unfulfilled lives and who do the most unforgettable things to one another. They’ve all gone a bit mad, but for reasons that are surprisingly rational.

Meryl Streep plays Violet, the electrifying woman of the household; she has mouth cancer and takes rather too many pills of varying extremities. She is one of the greatest characters I can remember ever seeing on the screen or stage; I’ll never forget Streep’s fine performance of her either. One minute she’s wearing a frightening black wig and bulging sunglasses, the next she is cursing uncontrollably and at other times she is a sweet and affectionate mother. She is always at the centre of attention though and nothing ever slips by her, as she says repeatedly.

Following up this astounding performance is Julia Roberts’s first big appearance for some time. She plays a confused, concerned and aging woman who seems dumbfounded by her family (who isn’t?), but at the same time she is clearly petrified of turning into her mother. She looks perfect in the role, her beauty trembling away as her character has to harden to various circumstances. Other members of the cast include Juliette Lewis, Abigail Breslin, Ewan McGregor, Benedict Cumberbatch, Chris Cooper, Dermot Mulroney and Margo Martindale; it truly is a stand of ovation.

John Wells directs the film, he is best known for having produced some small-screen spectacles such as ER, Shameless and The West Wing. Despite not being a natural feature film director per se, his achievement here is mightily impressive. The tricky task of adapting a stage play is creating a satisfactory boundary between not feeling stagebound and remaining cinematically expressive. Wells does this by maintaining an integral claustrophobia within the characters and setting without making it completely stagebound; one is reminded of Hitchcock’s brilliant achievement with Dial M for Murder. The film is also shot magnificently within a hazy half-lit house suggesting all the dark demeanours that have come and gone and the vast out-back of Osage County is exposed it its full glory. Wells has managed to make this film highly stylized; I couldn’t imagine a better cinematic treatment for this play.

So what is it that renders this film as a must see? For me, it is the characters captivating complexity and development throughout the script, the mighty fine performances and the generally striking production.
  12. Mar 18, 2014
    Well, what made this movie a very special? Of course the stars. Yeah, this movie was overwhelmed with a pack great actors and actresses. It was based on a play and very beautifully cinematised. Usually scripts for plays are designed to take place in a limited location so that is why it was not stretched by map. The movie was shot at a couple of locations and the majority of them are in a country house, in that most part comes while dining. So that is where it kinda reminded me 'When do we eat?'.

I love dramas specially which deals about a family issues like honest father, jobless son, lonely daughter, ill mother, drug addict grands children, rich laws, faithful maid et cetera. In some scenarios, it will reverse and becomes a great comedy like the one we had seen in Ben Stiller or Adam Sandler movies. Stories like this are very near to our lives, well, at least for somebody in some way. The much reality it goes, much impresses me. This is the one of a beautiful family drama of the year.

The movie characters were portrayed in an elegant manner. The connections between each others and problems to be solved were placed in the perfect positions. In many parts you can see the extended scenes, it is because to give a feel of a cinema. Some of the quotes relating life and relationship were inspiring.

In this movie, the three time Oscar winner Meryl Streep got an another nominee tag for her beautiful performance. Julia Robert as well was nominated for best supporting actress but lost to '12 Years a Slave'. Not only these two, others too filled the movie with their powerful performances, including the rising star Abigail Breslin.
  13. Feb 23, 2014
    As long as consummated actresses like Julia Roberts And Meryl Streep keep raising the flag about how it's supposed to be act, for young and new girls on the business will be hardest to be recognized as they are now the two magnificent women who plays the roles of the "insane mother" and her "obsessed daughter" in the oscar nominated motion picture "August: Osage County".
  14. Feb 23, 2014
    This is an amazing movie with brilliant performances from the entire case, but especially Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts. Everyone in our group loved this movie, with ages ranging from 16 to 60. I highly recommend this movie and definitelyl think it desesrved an Oscar nomination over some of the other nominated films.
  15. Feb 22, 2014
    What was the point of this movie? We meet a cast of characters who are all deeply damaged. As movie continues, we learn more about the damage and the contempt they have for each other. I kept waiting for redemption that never came. Some may argue that is real life which may be true. But why would anyone want to pay money to see that?
  16. Feb 18, 2014
    The "abridged" film version of Tracy Letts' big loud stage drama moves fast, has extremely well-written characters, and some truly phenomenal acting. Not a single character is miscast, and everyone is doing fantastic work here. It really deserved to be a best picture candidate.
  17. Feb 15, 2014
    August: Osage County is a bombardment of feelings, never holding the audiences hand or taking the easy route while never unearthing anything profound enough to make the journey worth it. At its best, it's a great actors chewing up scenery. At it's worst, it's a cacophony of famous people screaming. Audiences may see enough of that during their holiday season.
  18. Feb 14, 2014
    Good movie,awesome cast,Julia Roberts and Marley Streep where awesome, good story,good sreenplay,not boring,earned the nominations for awards.Definetly worth watching,Benedict Cumberbatch also very good.
  19. Feb 13, 2014
    With its theatre origins obviously transparent ths film opens less than auspiciously. Things are not helped by Meryl Streep's initial appearance in which she is way over the top, the mechanics of her particular acting style all too visible. It takes about 30 minutes for the film to properly find its feet with both acting and writing seeming very uneven. However, with the very entertaining dinner sequence events seem to come very much alive. Streep settles brilliantly in to her bullish and bullying matriarch and the writing also finds its natural rhythm, ultimately telling a good story with more than a few surprises up its sleeve. Julia Roberts, often too knowing in her roles, is fantastic here. In between all the fights and vitriol going around she shows great subtlety in some of the quieter scenes with her facial expressions doing a lot of the work. Margo Martindale also has a corker of a scene which propels an important plot point. In fact the women in the cast outshine their male counterparts by a considerable margin. At the film's close it came as somewhat of a surprise to realise just how much I had enjoyed the preceding two hours. Expand
  20. Feb 7, 2014
    If not the dramady of the year, it is one of the year's best. "August: Osage County" holds a magnificent cast, strong acting and a strong plot. I highly recommend this movie, Meryl Streep & Julia Roberts are the strongest aspect of the film. You have to watch this film..
  21. Feb 1, 2014
    I want my money back! I've never heard so much trash-talk in a film and would never see this film again ever. Wanted so badly to walk out, but we were with another couple, so we all stayed, hoping to find something redemptive in the film. It seemed to me the title should have been: WHICH ONE OF THESE CHARACTERS WOULD MAKE GOOD ROLE MODEL, AND IF YOU PICK ANY ONE OF THEM, YOU'RE A LOSER.

The film and it's actors will probably garner a lot of attention from the Oscar crowd, which shows why the Hollywood culture is so vile and repulsive.
  22. Jan 30, 2014
    August: Osage County is a film about an extremely dysfunctional family that is not afraid to go to some very uncomfortable places. Every person in the family has some secrets or vices and in lesser hands, it might feel like a soap opera. Some instances do feel like a soap opera, but a very watchable one. I actually think that this is a movie designed to make the viewer feel uncomfortable, right down to the laughs and the implication by the end that Julia Roberts' character may have become as bad as her mother played by Meryl Street. The big weak point that I see, as loathe I am to admit it because I like him, is Benedict Cumberbatch; I found his character a little too melodramatic, he disappears for almost the entire third act, and it's hard to tell if his southern accent is convincing or not. I'm hesitant to recommend this movie because I feel like it's an acquired taste and you won't walk away from it feeling joyful, but at the very least, I enjoyed it, so take that for what it's worth. Expand
  23. Jan 27, 2014
    Don't be fooled by the trailer - this is not a comedy. There are some comedic moments here and there, but overall it's a drama about a family who gets together after a family tragedy and the skeletons come out of the closet! It is based on a play that I didn't see so I can't compare it to the play. The film reminds me of a couple of Woody Allen's great dramas ("Interiors" and "September") from the 70s and 80s which had the same theme and ensemble feel. Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts are in top form in this film and give Oscar deserving performances. The supporting cast is pitch perfect and there are no dull moments. Expand
  24. Jan 27, 2014
    There's no doubt the big star casting is impressive here and certainly there was some very impressive and very emotional acting. Unfortunately i cannot endorse a movie enthusiastically when it comes down to the fact you walk out of the theater feeling like crap. honestly i don't see the point of a movie that is filled with conflict and depressing scenes, topped off with an ending that doesn't resolve anything. Expand
  25. Jan 27, 2014
    As Gertrude Stein might have said, a soap is a soap is a soap. And this had everything you'd expect of the genre - here's a hint, how many soap-related words can you think of beginning with 'i'? Actually, you could pick any letter of the alphabet and ask the same question. What makes this stand out, however, is the quality of the performances. Meryl Streep may dominate, but they're uniformly good. And what makes this fine story-telling is the arc from opening to penultimate scene; it's like the trajectory from the handing over to the taking up of a, shall we say, burden. Both clever & satisfying. Expand
  26. Jan 24, 2014
    The quality of the stars in this movie and their acting was the ONLY reason this movie even rated a 1. It was everything I could not to walk out on this horrible assault. I kept hoping it would turn into something worthwhile. HUGE wast of time and money!!! Wish I could erase this movie from my memory. It was just terrible!!!
  27. Jan 21, 2014
    This Tour de Force cast can sometimes be overzealous but the cohesion shown in a movie of absolute chaos is amazing. Meryl Streep is at her finest and Julia Roberts delivers her best performance since Erin Brockovich, but its the ensemble cast that really pulls this movie together. Chris Cooper and Margo Martindale are excellent, providing some of the best of the films many short scenes. The film is quick and relentless but never dull or contrived. Skip the glass of wine and get grab the bottle. You'll need it. Expand
  28. Jan 18, 2014
    The acclaimed play; 'August: Osage County', must have been fantastic to watch on the stage; but it's adaptation to the screen was hardly a thrill. Lazily adapted to the screen by play-writer, Tracy Letts; the film is filled with dialogue that hardly translates well to the screen and a plot that doesn't have any room for subtext. Its certainly fitting that the blatant script was followed up with OBVIOUS performances; because the film was excruciatingly overacted. As entertaining as these performances may be on face value, there was really nothing take away from them. Every single nuance is acted in bold strokes; leaving nothing for the viewer to ponder. However, I must give it to Chris Cooper, for giving one of the few sincere performances in this picture. But that really couldn't save this film on a whole. At times entertaining and always easy to digest; the film was ultimately an overwhelming romp. Expand
  29. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll give you a link good movie, I was tired with all the wrong link,
    if you want to download this film, follow this link

I just want to help you to provide the correct instructions to download this movie
  30. Jan 13, 2014
    I haven't read nor seen the play, but this thing was way too depressing. The acting should probably be regarded as superb (especially Meryl and Julia) although at some points overwhelmingly difficult to handle. Nevertheless, i enjoyed the dinner scene a lot.
  31. Lyn
    Jan 13, 2014
    If you enjoy a well-acted, dysfunctional family saga -- and don't mind a "talky" movie that obviously was a play -- this film is intensely exhilarating. I feel the accusations of "scenery chewing" are unfair considering the serious themes. Heck, even Julia Roberts acts to the point where that vertical vein in her forehead stands out! Streep is a wonder, in a part that reminds me of an older version of Martha in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf." There are a lot of great laughs as well from the excellent cast, and Margo Martindale, in particular, is never less than real for one second. Expand
  32. Jan 13, 2014
    It's sacrilege to imply that Meryl Streep could ever overact, but she certainly indulges herself with this sick (in both senses of the word) and mean mother. Director John Wells' lingering camera just adds to the problem. This is a family drama in every sense of the word. After a major crisis, the siblings and other relatives come home to cram a lot of cataclysmic revelations into two hours. Everybody gets their moment so shine (or suffer) and the performances are sincere. The whole thing just feels forced and flat, lacking the powerful emotional effect that this much turmoil should create. It's not bad or boring, just not brilliant. Expand
  33. Jan 12, 2014
    A tightly written screenplay from Tracy Letts, a set of phenomenal performances spearheaded by Meryl Streep's desperately degenerative turn, and a fairly competent directorial effort from John Wells allow the audiences viewing "August: Osage County" to truly engage in a worthwhile cinematic effort.
  34. Jan 11, 2014
    If you like to see our better actors chew some scenery and pay homage to Meryl, the queen, then it' s a worthwhile endeavor. The problem for me is caring for this much dysfunction and so much soul slapping vitriol.
  35. Jan 11, 2014
    August: Osage County has some very good performances by the cast but after all the arguments and everyone yelling at each about everything, the movie becomes a drain by the end. .
  36. Jan 10, 2014
    August: Osage County is the film adaptation of the award winning play written byTracy Letts who also wrote the screenplay. Directed by John Wells and starring the extraordinary Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Julianne Nicholson, Juliette Lewis, Abigail Breslin, Benedict Cumberbatch, Dermot Mulroney, Ewan McGregor and Chris Cooper, this is the story of an extremely dysfunctional family and the problems each of its members bring to the table ( in this case the dinner table). Having seen the play on Broadway I can attest to the fact that the 3 hour play with 2 intermissions was so well acted and directed that it seemed to be only 2 hours in length. Conversely, the movie is only 2 hours in length but seems like it extends beyond 3. No one can quarrel with the words of the author and the tremendous talent on the screen but it just doesn’t capture the intensity and tightness of the stage rendition. One can argue that Ms. Streep’s character was too dramatic and “over the top” but the role played both by Ms. Streep in the film and by Estelle Parsons on the stage required that kind of “overacting”. The character they portray is basically a drama queen and both actresses captured her essence perfectly. A great ensemble cast that could have benefitted more by better editing, I give the film an 8. Remember, the essence of any performance, be it on stage or in a movie house, is good writing. For that reason alone, the film is worth listening to and watching. Expand
  37. Jan 8, 2014
    The characters in this movie accuse each other of being monsters and they really are. Great performances from the cast.. However, the movie makes you feel hollow and dead. It is too serious and exhausting as other people have mentioned. The story got too melodramatic and soap operaish.
  38. Jan 1, 2014
    A welcome relief to see an American movie for grown ups. No cartoon characters and CGI, just actors actually acting and interacting. Beautifully. Happy families it ain't, so it won't capture the teen and retarded adult audience that's the target demographic of most of the big production companies.
  39. Dec 31, 2013
    Most plays don't make great movies in my book, although this perhaps does better than most. Partly it's the dialog: a play is more poetic, less conversational. And partly it's the set, although for this movie they open things up with great wide shots of Oklahoma plains. The story here too is tight, too tight: almost ever character has a tragic story line. I give most of my points for the performances. Meryl Streep,
    Julia Roberts, Chris Cooper, Ewan McGregor, Sam Shepard, Julianne
    Nicholson, Benedict Cumberbatch are all first rate. Second rate, or
    perhaps the characters were Juliette Lewis and Dermot Mulroney. Margo
    Martindale, who seems a natural comic actress to me, overplayed her
    part for my taste.
  40. Dec 31, 2013
    Critics don't like this film because there is too much good acting. In fact, the good acting and good dialogue are what make this rather intense family drama a pleasure to watch. Especially good: Streep, Martindale, Nicholson, Roberts, Cooper, Lewis. The theme: the selfishness of the older generation leading to trauma among the next generation is exceedingly relevant.
  41. Dec 30, 2013
    I have no words for Streep's and Robert's performances. Both deserves Best Leading Actress Oscar nominations, Streep even a win! Best performance of her career. It's one of the best films of 2013. Martindale, Cooper, and Nicholson are also outsanding, but the entire ensemble were great!
  42. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is no way not to love Meryl Streep at all times, but you spend the whole movie watching her tear apart the scenery like Mechagodzilla and keep thinking "what a great actress" instead of "I believe this character could exist".
    Like most people on Earth, I have not seen the play on which this movie was based. I didn't even know it was based on a play but assumed it was very early into movie as all the actors begin assembling into small rooms to give speeches at one another very loudly.
    So many ridiculous causes for drama and conflict are packed into one film it becomes laughable, as hard as you are trying to take this seriously because so many good actors are obviously trying to on screen. The alcoholic father. The pill popping venomous mother. Suicide. Cancer. Familial dysfunction. Incest. Marital strife. Sibling rivalry. Mental illness. Teenage angst. All trotted out one after another to keep the actors acting on full blast. Why are Ewan Macgregor and Benedict Cumberbatch cast as two weasly Midwestern dopes? Because there's more acting to be done when you have to barely pull off a believable accent.
    Subtle this movie ain't. Just to make sure you understand that Juliette Lewis' boyfriend is a rich douchebag, he needs to drive a red Ferrari convertible at 90mph everywhere and blast "livin la vida loca" on the stereo. Really? Like someone has listened to that song in ten years.
    Listen, this movie was actually enjoyable for a while in the same way that one of those caught on camera shows is. But after a while you get numbed to the car accidents and wanna switch it off.
  43. Dec 27, 2013
    The movie is good, but the play was SO much better. I enjoyed the individual acting performances; however, the omissions from the play are so stark that it's really a shell of its former self. I'd certainly recommended it for people who have not seen the play, but for those who have, please moderate your expectations.
  44. Dec 27, 2013
    While August: Osage County showcases a tremendous ensemble of actors all on their game, it suffers from an increasingly melodramatic plot with wildly unnecessary twists and turns that keep the movie from being fully grounded or relatable.
  45. Dec 25, 2013
    Meryl Streep proves once again that she is the best. She was the best of the movie, Julia was also good, the whole cast was amazing. You really have to go and see this movie.

1. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Jan 21, 2014
    If you enjoy improbable plot twists, overcooked dialogue and Hollywood legends champing on scenery, this adaptation is a highly entertaining slice of American Gothic.
  2. Reviewed by: Ian Freer
    Jan 20, 2014
    It takes a while to get going and never outstrips its theatrical origins but gets by on great actors working through meaty scenes. See it for Streep vs Redford alone.
  3. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Jan 14, 2014
    This classy adap of a much-garlanded stage play will appeal to discerning audiences who can tolerate unpleasant characters with potty mouths if they're played by Oscar winners.