Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: November 21, 2007
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 202 Ratings
WATCH NOW
TomkkMar 14, 2008
Even the story is ridiculous, the characters are so thinly drawn that it seems all their actions lie on inane impulses. Given that fact, I couldn't care for the acting or performance . I guess if you overanalyze everything you Even the story is ridiculous, the characters are so thinly drawn that it seems all their actions lie on inane impulses. Given that fact, I couldn't care for the acting or performance . I guess if you overanalyze everything you won't like the movie. Still, the ending wasn't satisfying at all. Expand
2 of 2 users found this helpful
cafergyMay 21, 2011
Exactly what I hate in a movie: pseudo-mysticism, cliches by the spoonful, plot improbabilities beyond comprehension, good talent wasted, and boring too boot. Ugh!
JayH.Mar 6, 2008
The movie is an uncomfortable mix of fantasy and drama, it was meant to be more inspiring than it turned out. The cast is good though, but the story just isn't strong enough to make the film work.
Dr.WayneMar 25, 2008
As soapy as a movie can get. You can see where it is all going and can't believe that it is actually going to go there ... the predictability is ridiculous.
JonNJul 26, 2008
I am giving this a 4 because even movie makers and their employees need to eat. It might deserve an even lower mark by anyone who is a fan of art in its many forms. Unbelievable (in a negative way) acting and casting. The only reason anyone I am giving this a 4 because even movie makers and their employees need to eat. It might deserve an even lower mark by anyone who is a fan of art in its many forms. Unbelievable (in a negative way) acting and casting. The only reason anyone would give this movie any thumbs up is if they are delusional or infatuated with the actor/actress. Expand
RobertC.Jul 30, 2008
When my wife and I first saw the trailer for this film, we were so excited because it had such a moving premise, and being a passionate musician, the idea behind film immediately resonated with me. After finally getting around to watching When my wife and I first saw the trailer for this film, we were so excited because it had such a moving premise, and being a passionate musician, the idea behind film immediately resonated with me. After finally getting around to watching the film, we were so horribly disappointed--a perfectly fine premise ruined by a bad writer and a bad director, who while probably had noble intentions, ended up insulting musicians world over with a barely watchable mess. Nothing hurts a film lover more than a squandered premise, because the same premise in the hands of a better writer and director could've been so much more, but now the premise has been wasted, unless maybe a remake happens someday. So why did this film disappoint so much? It boils down to the way the film treats the audience like they are a bunch of musical morons, and in doing so, the film actually insulted anyone who ever loved music and tried hard to become a good musician. If it was a film about quantum physics, where most people haven't a clue, then fine, go wild, but most households probably have at least one person who's a musician or know one intimately, so you cannot get away with writing and direction that is not even the least bit grounded in reality. I get the whole "it's like a modern fairy tale" thing--I really do, since I've written fairy tales myself as a writer, but when writing, there is such a thing as context and tone. If you depict a story that is based in the real world where supernatural occurrences are not part of the premise, then you must write a fairytale that is based on events that are categorized as coincidences that even if they border on being miraculous, they must never be impossible. If you depict a non-supernatural story about a human child that in comparison, makes every single musical genius that's ever lived look like a bunch of tone-deaf imbeciles, then it's just a steamy pile of horseshit. Instead of being awe-inspiring, the whole film becomes a giant leap over a big fucking shark (if you aren't familiar with the term "jumping the shark" just google it). But what else is new? This is typical Hollywood crap, where movies depict modern software using GUI that animates like it took a whole render farm to render, or the infamous cliché of "Can we zoom in on that and clean it up" scenes in crime dramas, where Photoshop on crack from the far future does things that should only appear in science-fiction movies, or whenever someone is operating the computer, they are always typing in non-stop streams instead of using a mouse like real humans do. I just can't for the life of me understand why filmmakers do it. Is it contempt for the audience? Is it genuine ignorance? Do we chalk it up to bad taste? Expand
stevesMay 10, 2009
I gave this movie a 4 just because the music was so enjoyable and the concept so nice. but what a mess. i so wanted to enjoy this movie which was recommended by a number of people. if it werent for the not very good acting, the suspension of I gave this movie a 4 just because the music was so enjoyable and the concept so nice. but what a mess. i so wanted to enjoy this movie which was recommended by a number of people. if it werent for the not very good acting, the suspension of disbelief required (ie. almost every minute of every scene), and the "silliness" of the whole thing, this potentially nice fairy tale couldve been closer to a masterpiece. instead, i watched it more frustrated than entertained. Expand
AlexOJun 23, 2009
Overly sentimental cheesy fluff that's difficult to swallow and harder to keep down.
CuptralCritiqueOct 18, 2014
O...M...G...I don't know what to say. Mixed bag doesn't even describe it!

O...M...G...I don't know what to say. Mixed bag doesn't even describe it!

First off, this movie wasn't THAT bad. It just wasn't great. If it had been an independent film, I would of rated it higher, since I would of respected it's production values more as the movie would of been harder to make. In fact, the production values are not half bad for a company produced movie, but that doesn't shake my "mixed bag" sort of feelings of this movie. I have never watched a "realistic" movie that is so ridiculously unrealistic! It just boggles my mind! I'll get to why that is soon, but since this is a review, I'll start with the story. The movie starts with a very cliche "bad orphanage" that a child called Evan has had to live in ever since his parents, Lyla and Louis, were forced to split up after Evan's conception. The story centres around Evan's parents then.....never seeing each other again.....WHAT!? The scene where they are getting split up makes next to no sense, and them never being able to find each other ever again especially in a world where social media rains supreme and they were supposed to be FAMOUS just seems ridiculous to me! Long story short, the kid finds and uses his talent for music (which is kinda well integrated with the story) to find his parents again. The story is basically a fairytale brought into reality, which I like. Sadly, at points, the story suddenly skips around, which can lead to confusion. At the end, I was simply starring at the screen in awe, completely oblivious to what was going on. The main character, Evan, was leading the orchestra, WITH NO BUILD-UP WHAT SO EVER!!! Touching though it may be, I needed SOME build up, or explanation or anything! The acting is okay for a big budget movie, in fact, it's sort of good in general, so I don't have much to say on that. Before I get into the main positives and negatives though, I'd like to tell you about a little...nope, big...nope, huge...nope, COLOSSAL nitpick I've had over the years about this movie. Evan can play ANY instrument of ANY kind without ANY experience, ANY practise, or even ANY knowledge of it! The worst part of this instrument factor is this movie's weird lack of knowledge for guitars.
1) You cannot play a guitar by slapping it the way Evan does.
2) For some reason, at the beginning, a guitar makes harmonica noises.
When it comes to the overall product, I'll start with some of the positives. The movie has some catchy music here and there, and it has some really nice shots. I'm gonna call a win for the director of photography and head director here! Finally, The movie is paced at a perfectly decent rate (minus random jumps and confusing edits). However, the negatives include a somewhat confusing script, laughable acting at times (though this is rare, and I know I said it was usually good before), and the fact that by the time ten minuets has elapsed, there are still freaking title cards playing! Okay, this review has gone on long enough, so it's time to wrap it up. I know I was a bit controversial with with my "Pay it Forward" review, since I know a fair amount of people really like it, (and yes, I admit it had a good moral, apart from the dying part.) and I know I'm probably going to be a bit controversial with this too, even though most critics seem to dislike both movies. "August Rush" has some good, some bad, and some okay. Simply put, decent for those who like this genre, and probably not decent for others.

R.I.P Robin Williams
PJB.May 7, 2008
There is fairytales and then there is nonsense. I actually have nightmares about Highmore hitting the guitar with that moronic grin on his face and about the Wizards sideburns! My girlfriend liked it though...go figure!
1 of 2 users found this helpful
LaceyNJan 14, 2008
Critics take this too seriously! The point of a fairy tale is to capture the heart and hold it in your throat. Yes, its cheesy, but also captivating, romantic, and dreamily ironic! Sit back and enjoy the fairy tale, dont look deeper than need be!
0 of 2 users found this helpful
SivanP.Mar 22, 2008
escapism, dramatic and beautiful fairytale!
twerplifiedMar 5, 2008
I don't know why people can't just enjoy a simple movie, it was fun and enjoyable, well worth my money
DRApr 13, 2008
Implausible? Of course...aren't all fairytales? Beautiful music, wonderful cinematography, an affirmation of the power of love.
LindaW.Apr 26, 2008
Such an interesting way to give hope and beauty in a love story. It does stand out.
IngaBApr 20, 2008
Totally sentimental, see it when you're in the mood to cry and you'll leave happy.... really great music though.
KevinNov 29, 2007
Great movie. There are a couple of minor details that should have been changed or added near the end, but all in all a very enjoyable movie. Critics obviously are out of touch with what makes a good movie.
CarlBDec 27, 2007
It was a great little movie. If you are a imaginative person who likes being moved than you will certainly like this movie.
IanS.Nov 6, 2008
While following the complex plot takes some intellegence, August Rush delivers a good cast; interesting plot; great performances by Highmore, Rhys Meyers, and Russell; all paired with a soundtrack and score powerful enough to bring tears to While following the complex plot takes some intellegence, August Rush delivers a good cast; interesting plot; great performances by Highmore, Rhys Meyers, and Russell; all paired with a soundtrack and score powerful enough to bring tears to the biggest machismo's eyes. Unfortunately, this world seems to have let the definition of 'prodigy' fall out of common knowledge. While August's sheer talent may be overexaggerated, the tone and whimsy allow this to pass. Expand
KeithS.Feb 10, 2008
As someone who almost always agrees with the critics, it is strange to read all of these negative reviews about a film that I found to be so moving and engrossing. Yes, it is contrived here and there, but it utterly captivated me throughout As someone who almost always agrees with the critics, it is strange to read all of these negative reviews about a film that I found to be so moving and engrossing. Yes, it is contrived here and there, but it utterly captivated me throughout and blew me away at the end in a way that few movies have ever done. Expand
MeghanCFeb 4, 2008
Ok so I loved this movie to death. it was the most amazing movie i have ever seen. so clean in words and sex. great ending. wow what a great movie
TomWFeb 5, 2008
Much better for real people than the critics pegged it. However, that isn't unusual. Somewhat predictable, but homey with nice easy "moral to the story."
BenPMar 14, 2008
The acting was disappointing, not a big fan of the love story either, but I love how a story of a child prodigy can make a great soundtrack fantastic and emotional. I don't watch a lot of movies, but this one almost had me in tears.
DarlingPMar 17, 2008
I liked the movie...it was sweet...but I wish the ending was a little better!
JudyT.Mar 25, 2008
Could have been better if the main characters had been given more depth, like in Mr. Holland's Opus. Again Robin Williams makes the best of his small part.
KellyDApr 17, 2008
This was one of my favorite movies ever! Why the critics said Keri Russell and Myers didn't have chemistry is beyond me. We should all have a little bit of that fairy tale in our loves. I cried after all 5 times of watching it.
MarkA.Apr 3, 2008
I enjoyed this movie for what it was...a musical fairy tale. It seems that some people are so intent that a show has to be "dark" for it to be any good.
AngieM.May 13, 2008
I absolutely loved this movie, and all my friends loved it as well (two of them are professional musicians and they loved the music). Freddie was a lovely young musical genius, I think he played his part very well, the movie was a pleasure I absolutely loved this movie, and all my friends loved it as well (two of them are professional musicians and they loved the music). Freddie was a lovely young musical genius, I think he played his part very well, the movie was a pleasure to watch - easy and enjoyable. I do however feel it could have had a slightly better ending - not too soppy, just more to it. Expand
NilsS.Jul 28, 2008
Too many cynics have bashed this movie. Everyone ultimately seeks happiness and fulfillment. Why some deny themselves that experience is beyond me, even if just for a few moments on the screen. Despite the overwhelming criticism, I found Too many cynics have bashed this movie. Everyone ultimately seeks happiness and fulfillment. Why some deny themselves that experience is beyond me, even if just for a few moments on the screen. Despite the overwhelming criticism, I found this movie to be deeply satisfying, completely enjoyable and riveting, and a source of inspiration for those who are not opposed to the idea that real "magic" is possible outside the periphery of the analytical mind--if we dare. Expand
SueO.Aug 17, 2008
Great movie - I enjoyed it and the music connections were fantastic. Left me feeling fantastic - what more could you ask from a movie. Good on all concerned.
BellaL.Aug 17, 2008
Poo hoo to the critics. This was one fantastic movie with brilliant performances by all the cast. Wow, wow, wow.
SydneyO.Aug 5, 2008
i thought this movie was pretty good. the critics need to stop with these bad reviews! its only if one of the movies are complete garbage that needs a bad review. lighten up critics!
txrangersfan72Sep 19, 2010
A magical, adorable, extremely wonderful film. If you are remotely a music lover, this movie, despite the requirement to suspend belief at times, will touch you. The acting and music are superb.
JonnyFendiJan 10, 2011
When first time, I watch AUGUST RUSH, I just watch it, coz it is musical (Recently, I watched many musical, biopic, and war movies). In the end of movie, I realize thiz movie is so full-hearted. The Story is so simple but strong, I alwaysWhen first time, I watch AUGUST RUSH, I just watch it, coz it is musical (Recently, I watched many musical, biopic, and war movies). In the end of movie, I realize thiz movie is so full-hearted. The Story is so simple but strong, I always appreciate simple movie that can TALK a lot. It is a story about a boy to find his origin and meaning of his presence. Told beautifully in movie, the plot had some flashback and back to the present sequence. But do not worry, you will not confused by its method. The Wonder boy, Freddie Highmore, performs like usual with his innocence charisma. I Think Highmore is definitely lucky to always have a great movie he involves with. Another Actor that I appreciate very much in thiz movie is Jonathan Rhys Myers. Myers so likeable in thiz feature, His Role as a rock star gives him a cool-look. About the ending (Spoiler-Alert!), The movie ends with the scene: the father and mother just had been met for years, and they finally holding hands, They just saw their boy in front of them too, performs as conductor in orchestra concert. The boy even not knowing their parents see him. And the movie just ends that way. I am very much understand that is the perfect ending, coz that scene describes with beautiful and elegant way. It shows the meaning of HOPE could be better from now on, is so strong. Superb.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
juliankleissJan 7, 2011
Extremely romanticized, not only the story, but also the protagonist's perception of music. Even though totally irrational, very beautiful. A movie about a musical prodigy, encouraging the viewer to live one's dream and not let someone elseExtremely romanticized, not only the story, but also the protagonist's perception of music. Even though totally irrational, very beautiful. A movie about a musical prodigy, encouraging the viewer to live one's dream and not let someone else decide about one's career/life. Expand
musicalmarkFeb 26, 2011
August Rush is one of the most moving fairy-tails of the early 21st century. A beautifully framed and moving story of discovery set amidst the gritty "reality" of America's great mythic city.
Tdi7457Mar 22, 2011
Terribly underrated. Honestly the best movie of 2007. When i first heard of it, i thought, great, another forgettable romantic comedy. But it was much more than that. People really overexaggerate about it. It's not horrible or ok. It's excellent.
oxanaAug 25, 2014
A chance meeting of two musically gifted people creates something that will change their lives for the next eleven years - and start something new.

I originally watched this to see Jonathan Rhys Meyers, but liked the movie for itself.

The cast was very good: Freddie Highmore as innocent, magnificent Evan Taylor/August Rush, Terrence Howard as a caring child service worker, Robin Williams as disturbingly crazy Wizard... and Jonathan Rhys Meyers singing; not bad.

The story is divided between the journey of Evan, who believes his parents are out there somewhere, and Lyla and Louis, who spent one night together which seems to haunt them both.

Evan is such a pure, creative force that you remain on the edge of your seat as he's taken from one place to the next and his talents both abused and nourished.

Overall it is a touching story of how three people so far away from each other belong together, and you keep dreading they'll never get to be the family they deserve.

The music was pretty good, and the scenery and different personalities made a good impact. Definitely worth watching!
hyperstrangerJan 6, 2012
I agree with other comments here in that this film must not be taken too seriously - it's a charming well presented fairytale which kept me more than entertained for it's duration.
JaySupertrampFeb 6, 2012
You should listen to the music. This movie is a well done romance with lots of good music and teardropping moments. But you never see him playing the guitare for real. Everytime he starts to play it you see his face oder the guitar, neverYou should listen to the music. This movie is a well done romance with lots of good music and teardropping moments. But you never see him playing the guitare for real. Everytime he starts to play it you see his face oder the guitar, never both. However good movie! Expand
HellzCowboyApr 7, 2014
If you are a very critical movie watcher, then you will probably not enjoy this movie. However, if you are just looking for a feel-good movie with some catchy guitar music, this movie is great.
FilmVirtueApr 6, 2014
Follow the music of the film right to the end because It does not tell a lie. This film was brilliantly acted and directed. The story does not fail and the music doesn't either. And No amount of critical panning can change that.
HarmonicAug 6, 2014
I can't understand why this movie was received badly ! For me, it's definitively one of the best movies ever ! Yes, the plot is a little bit unlikely... But a good story is rarely made of common events.
1. This is a movie about Music. It's
1. This is a movie about Music. It's not a matter of mysticism or things like that : it's a matter of faith. Someone believe that the music has a power, someone don't. It's like a religion, everyone has the right to believe in what he choose to believe.
2. There is a brilliant cast : I considerate Freddie Highmore as one the best boy-actor. Jonathan Rhys-Meyer is excellent, too, and he has a beautiful voice (perfect for the role). Keri Russell and Robin Williams are very different but both are heart-moving, in a different way.
3. We are very attached to those characters : the little prodigy of the music ; the guitarist, wasting his life with an other woman ; the cellist, who can't play anymore ; even the manipulator who just want to make money with children is captivating !
4. Some themes in this movie are beyond all description !! And I think it's not a movie about ONE thing, only : it's a friendship movie ; a romance ; a movie about music...
And if the message is that there is something about us who guides us, it's not a "pseudo-mysticism" movie, for all that. It's... well... like an other religion !!
KimM.Nov 19, 2007
I expected this movie to be much better. It is truly a fairy tale and one must suspend belief as there are an amazing number of coincidences. I love schmaltzy movies and should have been in tears at the end (no surprise how it ends as the I expected this movie to be much better. It is truly a fairy tale and one must suspend belief as there are an amazing number of coincidences. I love schmaltzy movies and should have been in tears at the end (no surprise how it ends as the movie trailer shows the ending) but I found the music disappointing, the performances one-dimensional (although I did want to see more of Leon Thomas) and the storyline weak. Expand
[Anonymous]Nov 21, 2007
This movie is beyond awful. There were too many characters, and not one was developed enough for me to have so much as a passing interest in what happened to him. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
ChadNov 24, 2007
If you like this, you are actually a bad person.
JaredM.Nov 26, 2007
Aside from the complete lack of chemistry between Rhys and Russel, the movie left a good feeling behind. Any music lover will be moved in a familiar way and any lover of good scripts will be moved in the opposite. You simply have to want to Aside from the complete lack of chemistry between Rhys and Russel, the movie left a good feeling behind. Any music lover will be moved in a familiar way and any lover of good scripts will be moved in the opposite. You simply have to want to enjoy it and look beyond the fact that it's really unbelievable. If you do, you'll find a movie that reaches you more than you realize. Expand
michellekDec 20, 2007
it is so good the music is great and the acting is great also amazing story, it stands out from all the other movies for me the whole thing was fast and exciting for me
NikkyH.Dec 5, 2007
It's a predictable, yet nice movie. If you play along to the magical side, it becomes quite touching. I do wish they elaborated more on the ending though.
JosephD.Dec 23, 2008
Like the movie Somewhere In Time the critics missed the mark on this one. The movie was very good even if it was inplausable. Sound cannot be heard in space does this mean you give Star Wars a bad rating. This movie is one more reason why Like the movie Somewhere In Time the critics missed the mark on this one. The movie was very good even if it was inplausable. Sound cannot be heard in space does this mean you give Star Wars a bad rating. This movie is one more reason why the viewer should be their own critic. Expand
DominicPJan 9, 2008
This movie was capturing unlike anything I've ever seen. It was like a love story, musical, and drama all in one. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. I've read a lot of negativity but the movie is really inspiring This movie was capturing unlike anything I've ever seen. It was like a love story, musical, and drama all in one. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. I've read a lot of negativity but the movie is really inspiring and I was truly astonished. Expand
dklingenFeb 16, 2008
This movie is wonderfully different and the way the music is done is very cool. The weakest point of the movie is the way Robin Williams strong arms his role. The best point of the movie is everything else. If you don't like this movie This movie is wonderfully different and the way the music is done is very cool. The weakest point of the movie is the way Robin Williams strong arms his role. The best point of the movie is everything else. If you don't like this movie then you are not giving it a fair chance. Expand
RoseF.Feb 18, 2008
What a refreshingly relaxing movie! The music was great, and the story so moving (and original!) that one overlooks the numerous coincidences throughout.
CurtT.Feb 25, 2008
If you are unwilling or unable to suspend disbelief, then this movie is not for you. However, I accepted the movie for what it is, a fairy tale, and I was able to enjoy it thoroughly.
CarlJohnsonMar 14, 2008
This film is so bad it interferes sexually with the dead. while watching the crap-fest, i was thinking about far-more interesting things, like- are all English people really wizards? and- In the French version of GTA IV, does Niko just This film is so bad it interferes sexually with the dead. while watching the crap-fest, i was thinking about far-more interesting things, like- are all English people really wizards? and- In the French version of GTA IV, does Niko just surrender at the beginning of each mission? in the end of it all DONT WATCH THIS MOVIE. Expand
DanaBMar 15, 2008
Beautiful *family* movie -- rare!
WanderingS.Mar 17, 2008
Cute yes. Suspenseful, no. I wanted it to have a sappy tear jerking ending and I have to say it was anti-climatic. My fiance hated the fact that you had to just go with the fantasy of a boy who can not only play a guitar instinctively but Cute yes. Suspenseful, no. I wanted it to have a sappy tear jerking ending and I have to say it was anti-climatic. My fiance hated the fact that you had to just go with the fantasy of a boy who can not only play a guitar instinctively but can write music somehow by osmosis. Very disappointing, I was expecting more of a urgency in the story but it bored me, not even to tears. Expand
SamN.Mar 21, 2008
Rarely do our children get to experience an intellectual movie that they understand, relate to, and learn from.
TomDMar 28, 2008
Obviously, the professional critics hated this movie. To traditionally "hokie" I suppose. As entertainment, it has its moments. If you're a modern movie lover, you'll probably hate it. If you're a traditonalist, you'll Obviously, the professional critics hated this movie. To traditionally "hokie" I suppose. As entertainment, it has its moments. If you're a modern movie lover, you'll probably hate it. If you're a traditonalist, you'll appreciate it for what it is -- pure entertainment meant to inspire. Expand
CarlosSApr 13, 2008
It's really frightening to see how many people gave this movie more than a "3". There's nothing wrong with imagination, hope, love, and fable. But time and time again "August Rush" asks us to "believe" while simultaneously making It's really frightening to see how many people gave this movie more than a "3". There's nothing wrong with imagination, hope, love, and fable. But time and time again "August Rush" asks us to "believe" while simultaneously making belief impossible. The resulting cognitive dissonance forces the intelligent viewer to treat the end result as unintentional comedy. Those who think this movie is the greatest thing since clumping cat litter need to deepen their capacity for appreciating true greatness when it rarely makes its appearance. It's the very absence of such discriminating judgment that allows 4th rate movies like "August Rush" to find their way to the screen. Expand
M.M.Apr 7, 2008
"A sickly sweet family drama." yeah, it wasn't artsy or anything. it was a nice story and nicely put together. I usually agree with critics. However, I disagree this time around. This is one of those movies why public seeks for movies. "A sickly sweet family drama." yeah, it wasn't artsy or anything. it was a nice story and nicely put together. I usually agree with critics. However, I disagree this time around. This is one of those movies why public seeks for movies. It just feels good at the end. Expand
L.Jun 22, 2008
Beautiful dickensian story.
SjoneillO.Jul 1, 2008
A great movie for all kids inspired by music. A great change of pace from the head dead stuff being produced with viloence, sex and drugs today for kids aged under 15. Well done.
JamesB.Jul 2, 2008
You critics are pathetic this movie wasn't that bad. I would at least expect an average of 50. I read through many of the critic reviews and was disappointed many of them lacked an explanation for the poor review that they gave the You critics are pathetic this movie wasn't that bad. I would at least expect an average of 50. I read through many of the critic reviews and was disappointed many of them lacked an explanation for the poor review that they gave the movie. I really enjoyed watching this movie and thought that it was pretty well done. I didn't find it too predictable and it wasn't perfect but all in all I found it to be a pretty good film. I just cant express to everyone my frustration with the critics these days. "kinky boots" and "the bucked list" were 2 great films that deserved at least an 8/10. I just want to scream. I cant even believe that 300 received a better overall rating that this movie. Expand
ZenjaminC.Jul 27, 2008
The first thing I did after watching this movie and wiping away a tear (with the manly hunting knife I was eating a steak with) was to download the soundtrack. The second thing I did was look up its reviews on metacritic.com, because I was The first thing I did after watching this movie and wiping away a tear (with the manly hunting knife I was eating a steak with) was to download the soundtrack. The second thing I did was look up its reviews on metacritic.com, because I was amazed that I had never heard of such an excellent movie before. I was even more amazed at the horrible reviews it got. This is an excellent movie... Beautiful. About fate, love, music, and beauty. Its about two exceptional musicians whome are brought together for one night by "true love" a tool which the gods of history sometimes use to craft exceptional people. Like the boy in this movie, A true musical prodigy that we have not seen for a verry long time, but which the world desperately needs. After the three musicians are seperated for 11 years, the music that connects them seems to be working to pull them back together again. I think the reason this movie got bad reviews is because some people, the type of people who are normal people that judge others, were not able to relate to this story. It is extremely improbable. Impossible for a normal person. Yet most of us are humble enough to see greatness, and not be envious of it. This is evident in disparity of the opinions of the critics, and the average Jo. Expand
SethB.Aug 2, 2008
This movie is a wonderful movie that entertains and warms the heart. People tend to forget that stories are usually meant to inspire and entertain. Critics tend to be like those who can't hear the music. They judge what they cannot hear This movie is a wonderful movie that entertains and warms the heart. People tend to forget that stories are usually meant to inspire and entertain. Critics tend to be like those who can't hear the music. They judge what they cannot hear to those of us that can. Expand
JenMNov 16, 2009
Do not listen to the critics. They only like the stupid movies. This movie is heartwarming (and what the heck is wrong with that?) and the music is awesome. No blood and guts, no stupid fake action scenes and it has a great kid actor who Do not listen to the critics. They only like the stupid movies. This movie is heartwarming (and what the heck is wrong with that?) and the music is awesome. No blood and guts, no stupid fake action scenes and it has a great kid actor who makes you smile. Expand
EmPOct 31, 2009
This movie is no amazing art but it is definitely worth watching. The music is absolutely beautiful; its worth watching just for that. It is a sweet, almost fairytale plot with an oliver twist feel to it. If you are a musician then it is This movie is no amazing art but it is definitely worth watching. The music is absolutely beautiful; its worth watching just for that. It is a sweet, almost fairytale plot with an oliver twist feel to it. If you are a musician then it is lovely to see a story in which there are none of the usual genre divides; here music is free, if a little cliched. Don't watch it to see the real world, watch it so be cheered up on a rainy day by the stunning music. Expand
EthanNMay 15, 2009
I gave this movie a two because I want to honor the effort of those involved in its production... but no, it's not intelligent, it's not realistic and I found it far from convincing. If you are a musician of any kind, save yourself I gave this movie a two because I want to honor the effort of those involved in its production... but no, it's not intelligent, it's not realistic and I found it far from convincing. If you are a musician of any kind, save yourself (and your TV) the shoe-throwing impulse and avoid this movie. This is a chlidren's movie with grown-up problems. Expand
BrianaM.Jul 18, 2009
This movie was wonderful! It is one of the best movies I have ever seen! Throughout the movie, and mainly at the end, the powerful music gave me goosebumps. Everyone who I know who has seen this movie loves it too. Forget what the critics This movie was wonderful! It is one of the best movies I have ever seen! Throughout the movie, and mainly at the end, the powerful music gave me goosebumps. Everyone who I know who has seen this movie loves it too. Forget what the critics have to say and see this movie! I'm a musician and I can assure that almost every person who truly loves music will enjoy this movie! Expand
rahuldAug 17, 2009
Awesome music , a must watch , critics we want to enjoy a movie because we r afraid of realistic shows. So stop telling the picture is not realistic.
BarryS.Nov 26, 2007
A refreshing entertaining change to the common movies seen today. The music and directing deserve an Oscar.
KathleenS.Nov 27, 2007
This is an amazing story, although a little cheesy. I really got swept up in the movie though, and it would be hard to see the movie without feeling for little August and maybe shedding a few tears.
ZeoN.Dec 11, 2007
Has a lot of heart. Critics are overanylizing it and takin it too seriously. I thought it was a nice little movie that i surprisignly touching.
SamH.Dec 2, 2007
I enjoyed it. I liked the poetry it was trying for. I thought the music was fun and innovative. I am aware of many of the criticisms that can be madet about this film, but I still felt it worked. At least it did for me.
KindredPDec 26, 2007
It was a good movie with a excellent soundtrack. I highly recommend seeing it.
williamfDec 26, 2007
incredibly bad
NickWDec 28, 2007
I couldn't help breaking out in laughter during all the parts that were supposed to be sentimental.
BonoVDec 29, 2007
The only thing worth checking out in this movie is the semi-decent music.Go rent "Once" instead.
NickY.Dec 3, 2007
The most annoying film I have ever seen. Trust me, do not go and see this.
DeanaDec 30, 2007
I really liked this movie. Absolutely loved the music - got lost in it actually. And the acting was good too. Yes it is predictable and a little unrealistic, but what movie, um - isn't?? The actor who plays August was great! I am going I really liked this movie. Absolutely loved the music - got lost in it actually. And the acting was good too. Yes it is predictable and a little unrealistic, but what movie, um - isn't?? The actor who plays August was great! I am going to buy the soundtrack too. Expand
EricEJan 15, 2008
Very good movie although it is a bit of a predictable story. I thought the music was excellent and was worth the price of admission alone.
TomM.Oct 18, 2008
This is a fairy tale without the fairies, elves, trolls, or talking animals. These screenwriters seem to prefer cliches and sentimental mush instead. An impossible tale with countless flaws and indiscriminate dependence on the abuse of This is a fairy tale without the fairies, elves, trolls, or talking animals. These screenwriters seem to prefer cliches and sentimental mush instead. An impossible tale with countless flaws and indiscriminate dependence on the abuse of artistic license. A shame considering the appealing performance by the young Freddie Highmore as the musical prodigy as well as a plot idea and storyline that could have been so much more. Expand
JulienG.Jan 21, 2008
I did not get into the movie at all. Fake actings, predictable and oversimplified story, farcical idealizations... The director handles a subtle theme with elephant pawns... No emotion came out at all, except laughs caused by so many I did not get into the movie at all. Fake actings, predictable and oversimplified story, farcical idealizations... The director handles a subtle theme with elephant pawns... No emotion came out at all, except laughs caused by so many incoherent scenes. Expand
ChadS.Jan 24, 2008
Any movie(it's too late for "August Rush") should reconsider the use of interior dialogue if its narrator is going to deliver self-consciously poetic observations in an insufferably wan voice. More importantly, a movie should find out Any movie(it's too late for "August Rush") should reconsider the use of interior dialogue if its narrator is going to deliver self-consciously poetic observations in an insufferably wan voice. More importantly, a movie should find out how the real world works. "August Rush" wants us to believe that a hospital would conspire with a father into telling his teenage daughter that her child didn't survive the delivery. Uh-huh. Right. Evan(Freddy Highmore) survived. He's a music prodigy, but "August Rush" conceals his gift for a good portion of its running time. When Evan says, "I hear music," we think it's his long-lost parents' music he's remembering; a preternatural awareness that they were once musicians. Since the music he hears is probably his own, "August Rush" misdirects its audience into mystical overkill (Lyla, played by Keri Russell, provides enough mysticism), and gives the film a new age-y vibe that falls on the wrong side of precious serendipity. At one point in "August Rush", Evan turns into Bjork, when he walks down a busy street and interprets industrial noise as Selmasongs just like the Icelandic siren in Lars Von Trier's "Dancer in the Dark"(the factory cacophony just before "Cvalda" is performed). "August Rush" is so full of magic, you wish it would disappear. Expand
SamanthaG.Oct 28, 2008
ok enough with the complaining, of course it isn't practical. When i rented the movie i could already tell it wasn
PatH.Oct 29, 2008
The people who don't understand why others criticize this movie have no idea how musically ignorant they are. What this movie does, in close up scenes repeatedly, is to make mistakes and gaffes so impossible that the child would have to The people who don't understand why others criticize this movie have no idea how musically ignorant they are. What this movie does, in close up scenes repeatedly, is to make mistakes and gaffes so impossible that the child would have to not just be a music prodigy, he'd also have to be psychic, possessed or reincarnated to know things that people must learn, but can't do off of natural talent. It's possible he could PLAY well naturally, but writing sheet music with special symbols and unnatural things that are learned and man-made? Impossible. Also, there are close-ups where the music makes such obvious mistakes (not only something a nerd would get, but ANYONE who's ever taken even 1 or 2 classes or even a month of lessons) like the sheet music he wrote had three of the same note written when what he played went up (don't even bother with far up) yet the music that sounded had him playing notes that went down! 3 discrepencies in a scene that didn't even have to happen if there weren't an arrogantly ignorant closeup. Basically, it's like a basketball movie where somebody plays basketball with just their pinkies, they throw the ball the opposite direction of the basket, yet it magically turns into a 3 point swish, or a baseball movie where somebody walks up and hits a home run with a corn-cob pipe and magically understands ump signals with no prior knowledge. In other words, this movie is UNWATCHABLY bad to anyone even a wee bit musical. Worse than the acting in any Prince film. It makes Under the Cherry Moon look like a documentary. It's such a piece of crap, that I felt guilty for hating it. And I believed in Santa til I was 14, but I couldn't stop being distracted by lies, gaffes and nonsense for even the first 20 minutes. Expand
JasmineS.Oct 31, 2008
I LOVED this movie SO, SO, SO, SO much. When I saw it for the 1st time I was so in love with it. I wanted to cry, but I disn't. The ending was lovely, and throughout the whole move I was just babck and forth. I was like Astonished, then I LOVED this movie SO, SO, SO, SO much. When I saw it for the 1st time I was so in love with it. I wanted to cry, but I disn't. The ending was lovely, and throughout the whole move I was just babck and forth. I was like Astonished, then angry. Happy, then sad, but overall I was so pleased with the movie. It is MOST definitely #1 on my movie list. Expand
cheepshotMar 16, 2008
It was brilliant, I don't think it was stupid or corny and im an aspiring actor, i know a bad drama when i see one!!!
DaleAMar 17, 2008
Although somewhat predictable, there is a moment when you think the world you had planned for August might come crashing down around him as an angry Robin Williams chases him deep into the subway system. The young actor who plays August Although somewhat predictable, there is a moment when you think the world you had planned for August might come crashing down around him as an angry Robin Williams chases him deep into the subway system. The young actor who plays August (Evan) is adorable and can't help but put a smile on your face. Also the soundtrack was memorizing! Take a chance and watch this movie, despite the poor ratings. Expand
AllenM.Mar 28, 2008
I was moved beyond words. Yes, the ending is expected, but that isnt the point ... rather the opening up of the music inside all of us ... the connections we all know exist, but rarely talk about .. the love for family ... and beyond ... and I was moved beyond words. Yes, the ending is expected, but that isnt the point ... rather the opening up of the music inside all of us ... the connections we all know exist, but rarely talk about .. the love for family ... and beyond ... and in that one instant, when we stop trying, and just listen, we get it ... words cannot express, but the sound can... Expand
RondaM.Mar 31, 2008
The most beautiful movie I have scene in years. Alot of personal connection to the movie. I believe that music really is a spiritual connection to all who listen.
noneofyour...businessMay 11, 2008
Despite what some people say about this movie being too unbelievable, isn't that what movies are about, you don't write stories on what could have happened and didn't you write about amazing circumstances and almost unbeatable Despite what some people say about this movie being too unbelievable, isn't that what movies are about, you don't write stories on what could have happened and didn't you write about amazing circumstances and almost unbeatable odds, as for calling this movie completely strewn together with just random scenes, that is preposterous, the intelligent viewer will notice all the linking themes between the scenes and motives, watch it again and maybe you will see them.... it is a well written movie, one of the few out there.... and on top of it what is wrong with a movie where something good happens and there is no blood? is that wrong???? and btw I am a teenage male who loves gory action movies, so don't think I am just another sappy viewer.... as for what Carlos S said... doubt he will ever read this... but no Carlos you need to deepen your capacity for appreciating true greatness.... that's all sorry for making you read that. Expand
BitBurnMay 18, 2008
Man o' man gotta love those so-called expert critics. Okay I guess if you don't like music, you're tone deaf or simply have your own head stuck deep up your own butt then there is no way you will appreciate this film, but for Man o' man gotta love those so-called expert critics. Okay I guess if you don't like music, you're tone deaf or simply have your own head stuck deep up your own butt then there is no way you will appreciate this film, but for the rest of us (a lot of us) this film was pure delight to watch, heartfelt, sincere, humble and downright near-masterpiece. Expand
AmberRDec 25, 2009
If you know it's a fairytale going into it, and you enjoy a good fairy tale where everyone saves themselves, it's a beautiful story.
CindyL.Jan 31, 2009
This movie is one of my favorites!! My children too. It is on of those tug at your heart strings and SMILE big in the end. IT WAS ABOUT A FAMILY FINDING COMING TOGETHER!! If some people would have gotten that instead of focusing on This movie is one of my favorites!! My children too. It is on of those tug at your heart strings and SMILE big in the end. IT WAS ABOUT A FAMILY FINDING COMING TOGETHER!! If some people would have gotten that instead of focusing on insignificant issues. Expand
AlexRMar 25, 2009
While the movie is unrealistic, it is certainly more realistic that most other movies. That said, that movie was fantastic, inspirational, and incredibly convincing. One of the best I've ever seen.
MaxNov 22, 2007
Anyone who can appreciate the power of music will overlook the (incredible) schmaltz and go along for the ride. The score is great and Freddie Highmore gets better with each movie.
ChrisK.Nov 23, 2007
This is a really cool movie! Do not listen to the hard-hearted people who do not care about love or hope. Please give it a chance.
JimS.Nov 24, 2007
This really is an incredible film. Like the critics say it's a poetic fairy tale and you have to expand your belief but once you do that it's a beautiful film and the way you feel at the end is a great emotion.