Austin Powers in Goldmember

6.7

1. Oct 4, 2011
    It's pointless to make such a inane sequel from a unorganized franchise. Yes, i'm talking about Austin Powers.
  2. Oct 26, 2010
    alot of stars pop in to make cameos in this third installment along with alot of the old jokes from the last 2 films . im starting to feel like im waching airplane 2 now. theres still some funny moments in this film but recycling your jokes 3x in a row just isnt funny.
  3. JoshuaW.
    Aug 16, 2002
    There were some hysterical scenes but this film just didn't live up to the previous "Austin Powers" films for me. First it had a horrible leading lady, which isn't really a fair assessment since Miss Knowles had very few lines and little scene time. Unlike the previous love interests of Powers she had an underdeveloped, barely on-the-screne role in this film. Also, Scott Evil There were some hysterical scenes but this film just didn't live up to the previous "Austin Powers" films for me. First it had a horrible leading lady, which isn't really a fair assessment since Miss Knowles had very few lines and little scene time. Unlike the previous love interests of Powers she had an underdeveloped, barely on-the-screne role in this film. Also, Scott Evil was poorly used. In the previous movies Seth Green stole every scene he was in and his back and forth dialogue with Myers as Dr. Evil were always a highlight for me in the films. I know I'm being something of a whiner but I really thought this movie was going to be better than it was. The first two films were nothing short of excellant but it looks as though Myers may have run out of steam with this franchise, which is something I had hoped would never happen. Expand
  4. ZiggyStardust
    Dec 8, 2002
    Disappointing, but still entertaining and funny.
  5. JackD.
    Aug 5, 2002
    It is one of those movies that you laugh at while watching it and then criticize it afterwards. The big problem is too much repetition of the same type of jokes..and the lack of story. The Fat Bastard segment could have been removed or cut down...he sounds just like Shrek. It is definitely hit and miss with the gags. (Better luck next time ...will they call it Austin Powers in Thunderballs?)
  6. BrianC.
    Jan 9, 2003
    "Incredibly original?!?" Anybody who saw the first 2 movies has essentially seen all these gags before (shadow gags; wrestling a midget, the banter between Dr. Evil and Scott, etc. etc, etc.) Some of this was at least original the FIRST time around. But when somebody starts recycling their own jokes, it's just lame. This movie is by far the poorest of the three. Don't bother. I "Incredibly original?!?" Anybody who saw the first 2 movies has essentially seen all these gags before (shadow gags; wrestling a midget, the banter between Dr. Evil and Scott, etc. etc, etc.) Some of this was at least original the FIRST time around. But when somebody starts recycling their own jokes, it's just lame. This movie is by far the poorest of the three. Don't bother. I gave it a 4 based on the two things it clearly had going for it. Beyonce's melons, baby! Worth two points each. Yes they barely developed her character but she's nicely developed. (FYI - If you think that comment's juvenile, you might not appreciate all the "poo-poo" jokes and other 10-year old humor of this movie anyway.) Expand
  7. NolanB.
    Aug 4, 2002
    Not in the same league as the first two, but still very funny.
  8. DaveO.
    Jul 26, 2002
    This is a movie where you will find yourself laughing for a minute or two followed by 15 minutes of thinking "this would be so funny if I were still in high school" then another minute of laughing. It has its moments, both good and bad. Beyonce is so F**'n fine!!!
  9. CharlesM.
    Jul 27, 2002
    Myers isn't just "sending up" the sixties, he's poking fun at the whole "Hollywood" medium. Everything from "Singin' In The Rain" to "Rap", Brit Spears to multi-million $ "action" movies, is fair game, & Mike takes no prisoners!
  10. BlancoA.
    Aug 3, 2002
    The scene when Dr. Evil and Mini-Me go to jail and rap is hillariously funny... and Fat Bastard rocks as usual... Beyond that, the movie was pretty average.
  11. ChadS.
    Aug 6, 2002
    Mike Myers has every right to do whatever he wants, but you sort of wish there was somebody in his camp that could've told him to leave Fat Bastard on the cutting room floor. This character is just not funny. Dr. Evil, on the other hand, continues to be hillarious, even when the bits fall flat, because there's always that voice Myers uses to make his albino antagonist come Mike Myers has every right to do whatever he wants, but you sort of wish there was somebody in his camp that could've told him to leave Fat Bastard on the cutting room floor. This character is just not funny. Dr. Evil, on the other hand, continues to be hillarious, even when the bits fall flat, because there's always that voice Myers uses to make his albino antagonist come alive. Goldmember, however, is neither funny, or repellant; just bizarre, much like a lot of this high-spirited and low-brow movie. You should see it with a full house. Expand
  12. RickJ.G.
    Sep 29, 2002
    It has it's moments, but "Goldmember" is a step down even from "The Spy Who Shagged Me." I get the feeling that maybe the original inspiration has run it's course. The original is the one that was missed at the box office. Now it's a money making series but it's not as good. If there is a fourth film, and we can't doubt there will be, I wish Myers would stick to It has it's moments, but "Goldmember" is a step down even from "The Spy Who Shagged Me." I get the feeling that maybe the original inspiration has run it's course. The original is the one that was missed at the box office. Now it's a money making series but it's not as good. If there is a fourth film, and we can't doubt there will be, I wish Myers would stick to the original premise of two stereotyped idiots from '60s Bond movies trying to adjust to life today. I don't care much for the time travel and gross out humor of the two most recent movies in the series. Expand
  13. Jeremy
    Oct 16, 2003
    A handful of moments are still laugh out loud funny, but Goldmember is an example of plowing a formerly succesful franchise to the ground when it has no place to go.
  14. DaveC.
    Jul 21, 2004
    Although it offers a few seizure inducing moments of laughter, overall the film is the weakest of the three. Fat B*****d is just not funny anymore, Dr. Evil and Mini-me are beginning to get tiresome, Beyonce Knowles is useless and the presence of Michael Caine has never been so annoying since the Swarm.
  15. SamP.
    Dec 4, 2002
    Yes I did laugh during "Austin Powers in Goldmember". I am embarrased to admit it, but yes I laughed. I had two geniune chuckles in this film. During the beginning cameo sequence and the Dr. Evil rap, which in my opinion is the funniest of the two. But other than that the movie was soo awful!!!! This movie was by far the worst at displaying the series' fantastic supporting Yes I did laugh during "Austin Powers in Goldmember". I am embarrased to admit it, but yes I laughed. I had two geniune chuckles in this film. During the beginning cameo sequence and the Dr. Evil rap, which in my opinion is the funniest of the two. But other than that the movie was soo awful!!!! This movie was by far the worst at displaying the series' fantastic supporting characters. I mean everyone agrees w/ me when I say Dr. Evil is better than the shagadelic Austin. But this wouldn't be so if it wasn't for Scott and Mini-Me. They were brilliantly portrayed in the 1st and 2nd movies. But in this they're hardly used at all! About the time when Scott befriended his dad and Mini-Me was referred to as a "kick-stand" I knew all was lost for the characters! In the past this series strong suit was Mikes inventiveness w/ creating new characters. Here, Foxxy is good but underdeveloped , Nigel Powers was a great idea but something about seeing Micheal Caine in bed w/ three girls half his age does NOT seem right, and Goldmember, who shouldve been the strongest of the three, turned out to be not only UNFUNNY but kind of sick. I know I'm criticizing "Goldmember " like its a serious drama but thier is just too much to criticize! It was THAT bad! Although the marquees claim that this film is "SOLID GOLD" I seem to think that it's only gold-plated! Expand
  16. Rocky
    Jul 27, 2002
    This is a remake of the same jokes in the first and second movie, but less funny the third time. There are a few laughs (mini me steals the show) but not a fraction of either Austin 1 or 2. I recommend waiting for the video for this one!
  17. Jonathon
    Jul 27, 2002
    People said this was "pure gold", well just think the opposite. I was disappointed at this pathetic comedic sequel, and it ended pretty bad. I have to say, acting was horrible, and the plot was fast (not in a good way) and was just horrible. What ever happened to Heather Graham's character (I'm glad she wasn't in this)? The good thing about this movie is sexy Beyonce People said this was "pure gold", well just think the opposite. I was disappointed at this pathetic comedic sequel, and it ended pretty bad. I have to say, acting was horrible, and the plot was fast (not in a good way) and was just horrible. What ever happened to Heather Graham's character (I'm glad she wasn't in this)? The good thing about this movie is sexy Beyonce Knowles, who was pretty funny and better looking than all of the AP girls. Please, ignore this movie. I upset that my money help them movie on the box office! Collapse
  18. WRU.
    Jul 28, 2002
    The first movie was original and funny, the 2nd was derivative, but still quite amusing. This latest installment is clearly on cruise control, it's by far the least humorous of the 3, but still manages a few (very few) good laughs. Overall I would not recommend it, but probably worth a DVD rental when it comes out in a few months.
  19. Matt
    Aug 12, 2002
    Very Unjointed movie. didn't like the part about making the austin powers movie. don't get me wrong i just about pissed my pants a couple times in the movie. over all some very funny scenes. but also some crap ones.
  20. RedPepper
    Aug 19, 2002
    Plain gross, anti-intelligent and noncreative. Worse than Beavis and Butthead. Mike Myers and his crew must be psychologically disturbed to produce this crap. Overall score in the series of three Funny - 3 : Gross - 35.
  21. BrazenCritic
    Sep 18, 2002
    Some stuff was funny, but Austin Powers is clearly over the hill.
  22. Dec 12, 2011
    It was better then the previous film but still no where near as good as it once was. I didnt like Beyonce at all and the film was boring at times and felt too dragged on. A below average comedy that could have been a lot better.
  23. Aug 31, 2014
    Of all possibilities, the Austin Powers franchise manages to redeem itself with its third installment. Goldmember is not only exciting but jokes actually hit. Not to mention a fun inclusion of Beyoncé.
  24. Nov 25, 2012
    Right from the beginning, this movie will grab fans of the first two 'Austin Powers' movies. However, there's a small matter of what follows after the cold opening. And that's where this flick seems to fall apart. Continuing the trend of sexual innuendo (funny during the first two, merely 'filler' in this one) and gross-out scenes (funny during the second movie, but again simply fillerRight from the beginning, this movie will grab fans of the first two 'Austin Powers' movies. However, there's a small matter of what follows after the cold opening. And that's where this flick seems to fall apart. Continuing the trend of sexual innuendo (funny during the first two, merely 'filler' in this one) and gross-out scenes (funny during the second movie, but again simply filler in this), this wanders aimlessly trying to make fun of "Goldfinger", which I'll admit would be difficult to do even with a decent plan. I think therein lies the problem..."Goldfinger" itself was so over-the-top, it's hard for someone to satirize it to any satisfactory level. I liked the first two movies, but this entry just left me wondering it Myers and company have finally jumped the sharks (yes...with laser beams on their heads). Expand
  25. Feb 3, 2016
    Well... there you have it, folks. The franchise has gone into a mixed situation. Don't destroy it with a rushed project otherwise the score will get worse. Take your time to make it and it'll be better.

1. The latest installment in the Austin Powers series has stopped making much sense at all, but it sure gets its giggle on, and good.
  2. Goldmember comes after years of escalating vulgarity have thrown the need for caution -- and cleverness -- out of fashion.
    The gifted Myers lets his once and (I hope) future shag king get lost in an elephantine Hollywood franchise. The first time was the charm, baby.