7.0

1. Dec 2, 2010
    Unashamedly epic. Unabashedly romantic. Unforgettably touching. Baz Luhrmann delivers THE underrated film of the noughties. Due to the enormous hype following the movie-musical extravaganza of Moulin Rouge!, Australia suffered a case of critic tall-poppy syndrome, in which it seemed the film was doomed for universal criticism before anyone had laid eyes on it. However, if one watchesUnashamedly epic. Unabashedly romantic. Unforgettably touching. Baz Luhrmann delivers THE underrated film of the noughties. Due to the enormous hype following the movie-musical extravaganza of Moulin Rouge!, Australia suffered a case of critic tall-poppy syndrome, in which it seemed the film was doomed for universal criticism before anyone had laid eyes on it. However, if one watches this with an openness and emotion availability, they'll find an unforgettable journey. Luhrmann's direction is impeccable and unique, and Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman's chemistry is electrifying. The character of Nullah is one of the absolute standouts, rounding out a stellar cast. I can not stop the tears from flowing every time I watch this film - Australia should be up there with the best of them! Expand
  2. NickB.
    Jan 16, 2009
    Much better than the reviews I had read, I was really impressed. Excellent cinematography, great music and as usual a quirky approach from Baz Luhrman. Great film.
  3. Matthew
    Apr 18, 2009
    A fun and entertaining movie that takes you back. You get that old Hollywood feel when watching this movie. It's the way movies used to be and were meant to be....pure entertainment and dazzle. Straightforward, good old fashion story telling.
  4. LeanneY
    Jul 29, 2009
    Good movie. quite interesting throughout however it was slightly long. Hugh and Nicole both acted very well however I think that the young boy who plays Nullah stole the show. worth watching.
  5. R.L.
    Dec 22, 2008
    Epic!! Australia is one of those rare films that will make you feel like nothing around you matters anymore except what's in front of you on the screen. Australia stars Nicole Kidman as Lady Sarah Ashley, a British social light who come to the rough and untamed lands of Australia looking for her husband, but what she finds is more disturbing than what she expected. Now Lady Ashley Epic!! Australia is one of those rare films that will make you feel like nothing around you matters anymore except what's in front of you on the screen. Australia stars Nicole Kidman as Lady Sarah Ashley, a British social light who come to the rough and untamed lands of Australia looking for her husband, but what she finds is more disturbing than what she expected. Now Lady Ashley has to run her Husbands cattle ranch with the help of Drover, a mysterious cattle herder and a local boy. Now with nothing to lose the trio sets out to rebuild the ranch, and along the way finds out the true meaning of love, family and most importantly life. Australia is an amazing piece of art that you just want to look at over and over again, it's one of those great films that you can't afford to miss! I very,very highly recommend this movie. Expand
  6. May 21, 2014
    To call Australia an epic is insulting to what makes epics special. Epics aren't corny, empty and have characters that are uninteresting. Just because it looks like an epic doesn't mean it is one. It fails to meet any of these criteria because Baz's original flaw of trying to tackle 4 different stories at once leaves each story having zero impact by the end.
  7. LyleB
    Apr 5, 2009
    Unbelievable, and I mean that in terms of storyline. I was waiting for the UFO to invade and save the natives. I was left feeling wasted as the end finally occurred.
  8. SteveF
    Mar 20, 2009
    WOW!!! This is one of the worst movies that I have ever seen. A total piece of garbage...and to think that I put my trust in some people's reviews.
  9. Jillbo
    Mar 20, 2009
    A rather average film. Romanticised history of British colonisation and Aboriginal genocide, then becomes even shallower through the love story! It makes Australia (the place) look good though.
  10. ConnieW
    Mar 24, 2009
    Try this movie if you suffer from insomnia.
  11. BrandonO
    Mar 9, 2009
    I walked out of the theater. This movie is trash.
  12. MadR.
    Jan 2, 2009
    Walters was simply amazing and the rest of the cast, excluding kidman, were excellent as well. The movie had anough going for it that it kept me interested the whole way and due to the acting of the acters, largely walters, you really did care about what happened. The only propblems, and they werent to big, were kidman and some of the corny parts, which are expected in a romance movie Walters was simply amazing and the rest of the cast, excluding kidman, were excellent as well. The movie had anough going for it that it kept me interested the whole way and due to the acting of the acters, largely walters, you really did care about what happened. The only propblems, and they werent to big, were kidman and some of the corny parts, which are expected in a romance movie such as this, but dont have to be enjoyed. Expand
  13. AksahyB.
    Jan 3, 2009
    The most boring movie I have seen in a long time. It seems like the director lost the script half way through the film and then finished the movie with another shitty script.
  14. ShammySham
    Mar 19, 2009
    Some people are oblivious to the facts, and while everyone has the right to their own opinions, this movie is far from crap. Sure Nicole Kidman, wasn't the best actress for job in some people's eyes, but if the movie isn't your type doesn't matter who filled the role. I think the signs are powerful here, and those who don't know their world history by now, have Some people are oblivious to the facts, and while everyone has the right to their own opinions, this movie is far from crap. Sure Nicole Kidman, wasn't the best actress for job in some people's eyes, but if the movie isn't your type doesn't matter who filled the role. I think the signs are powerful here, and those who don't know their world history by now, have real thick skulls. This movie can be seen as a slave narrative. So there are to sides of understanding: The indigenous people (aborigines) and the Caucasians, or more clarified, the british prisioners, solders, and thieves of the early centuries. These people were the perfect storm to destroy the native people of the fine land we call Australia. The land maybe different, but the idea remains the same: May ye rape, burn and pillage, until there is nothing left. The white man has truly done a fine job. But as the story goes, in the end....you can't stop fate no matter how hard you try. You can never make what doesn't belong to your people yours. I may never see it in my lifetime, but what belongs to the native people must stay within their grasp. That is how it was meant to be. No man nor religion has the right to erase a culture of people. Expand
  15. Lynn
    Mar 2, 2009
    Loved every minute, Hugh Jackman is my favorite.
  16. BobH.
    Nov 27, 2008
    One of-- IF-- not the best movie of the year. this will kill at the Academy Awards, excellent acting by all --great plot ---excellent cinematography ---excellent location---bring tissue.
  17. CoreyH.
    Nov 29, 2008
    An entertaining movie that did not feel anywhere near as long as the 2 and half hour running time. Don't take it all so seriously. Movies are about entertainment, what wasn't entertaining about this movie?
  18. SeanP.
    Jan 10, 2009
    A masterpiece that proved too ambitious for critics. Baz dazzles us with his marvelous cinematography of a lush location. Nicole Kidman gives one of her finest performances yet and Jackman plays his rugged rider to perfection. It's weird, cheesy and cliche but what more do we expect from Baz. The best film of the year by a mile!
  19. KathyS.
    Jan 3, 2009
    Really enjoyed this! For a long movie, it engages and entertains! Looooove Hugh!
  20. SteveM.
    Jan 9, 2009
    I have to give this a 10. The people that are giving this move a 1 or 0 must have missed the entire movie. The kid in the movie deserves to share an Oscar with Heath in my humble opinion. He was just outstanding. Great movie.
  21. TerryN.
    Jan 9, 2009
    A musical without any songs - woeful - and the fake kangaroos were pathetic.
  22. Kevin
    Mar 15, 2009
    Very Enjoyable.
  23. LinL.
    Mar 23, 2009
    Gave an extra point for the nice scenery! Despite the talent involved, I could not believe how boring this movie was, and actually fast-forwarded thru parts. And the whole subplot with the little aborigine boy w/ mystical powers was idiotic.
  24. ElliotP.
    Mar 29, 2009
    One story folded into another, seemingly without end. Maybe not great cinema, but fascinating just the same. Acting was excellent, and, if that is not enough, then the movie is worth your nickel for the camera work alone.
  25. Alena
    Mar 6, 2009
    This movie was one of the most boring movies i have ever seen
  26. Margot
    Nov 27, 2008
    Yes, the movie is a tad long and you think it is going to end several times before it actually does, but I still enjoyed watching it the whole time. The movie was engaging and funny and beautiful to watch. It wasn't perfect, but it was enjoyable.
  27. syzygy
    Nov 30, 2008
    Baz whips together large themes across a classic Hollywood canvas in the tradition of Lean, Ford, and De Mille. The trick is to balance the contradiction between a shallow pop-history narrative and the demands of serious drama. Baz tosses in one convention after another for a risky ride that succeeds as much as it fails.
  28. sinclairc.
    Dec 10, 2008
    You know there's a problem when you can get a round of air hockey in the cinema foyer during the first half of the movie... being an Australian what can I say except "Crikey Baz, whats this garbage?"
  29. FranceL.
    Dec 23, 2008
    A less sophisticated, less poignant, more derivative, more melodramatic, over the top, anything goes, everything goes, overly long 'Out of Africa' wannabe.
  30. kevinl.
    Dec 23, 2008
    Loved it! even though im an aussie and was weary of watching this movie after listening to critics reviews.. must see if ur a sucker for titanic love stories.
  31. CatherineH.
    Dec 2, 2008
    Glad I didn't fall under the spell of the critics assessment and went to see it. Thoroughly enjoyable.
  32. StanF
    Dec 5, 2008
    To sum it up in 3 words, Over indulgent crap. I can see why Baz Luhrmann works often with Nicole Kidman, she is the living embodiment of his movies, heavy on the looks, but no real substance on the inside. Add Hugh Jackman to the mix & the collection of the "superficial" is complete. Bland acting aside, the story was cliched and corny at times as well. All that's left are some nice To sum it up in 3 words, Over indulgent crap. I can see why Baz Luhrmann works often with Nicole Kidman, she is the living embodiment of his movies, heavy on the looks, but no real substance on the inside. Add Hugh Jackman to the mix & the collection of the "superficial" is complete. Bland acting aside, the story was cliched and corny at times as well. All that's left are some nice visual shots. A typical Baz Luhrmann piece of fluff. Expand
  33. TonyO.
    Dec 8, 2008
    Basically the movie is romantic fun, and very scenic, if a little too long. All the pretentious post-modern analysis on show on this site completely misses the point. For Australians, there is all sorts of national iconography to delve into, but for the rest of us, this is epic romance in an exotic locale, with hunky men and gorgeous women doing what comes naturally. Baz Luhrmann's Basically the movie is romantic fun, and very scenic, if a little too long. All the pretentious post-modern analysis on show on this site completely misses the point. For Australians, there is all sorts of national iconography to delve into, but for the rest of us, this is epic romance in an exotic locale, with hunky men and gorgeous women doing what comes naturally. Baz Luhrmann's use of hyper-realism at the beginning is probably a bit OTT for most viewers, but this is no big deal. At least it is an attempt to stimulate the viewer with something a little different.. The best comparison would be with "Pearl Harbor "(which was a real turkey). By contrast, "Australia" is a masterpiece. As an aside, I am really surprised at the spite and vitriol this movie has generated. Is this some kind of inherent prejudice of many people against Australians? Go figure. Expand
  34. ChadS.
    Dec 9, 2008
    The grass isn't singing, perhaps the Australian outback is too arid. The grass is tired. Lady Sarah Ashley(Nicole Kidman) seems at complete ease with the Aborigine people at Faraway Downs, even though there's early speculation that her husband was killed by a native named King George(David Gulpili). Because of the times, you would suspect a British subject to be uncomfortable The grass isn't singing, perhaps the Australian outback is too arid. The grass is tired. Lady Sarah Ashley(Nicole Kidman) seems at complete ease with the Aborigine people at Faraway Downs, even though there's early speculation that her husband was killed by a native named King George(David Gulpili). Because of the times, you would suspect a British subject to be uncomfortable with Aborigines living under her roof. Lady Ashley doesn't have to be stereotypically colonist(like something out of a Doris Lessing novel), but "Australia" could have benefited from some moral complexity out of the ex-Brit. Saints aren't interesting. "Australia" works best as a western; it should have remained in this milieu instead of genre-hopping: the war epic that follows is not nearly as successful. The Aborigines are cast in "Indian" clothing, at first, when it's believed that King George is responsible for the murder of Lady Ashley's husband. During this interim period, the Australian emigrate seems too contemporary in accepting Nullah(Brandon Walters), a half-breed, as more than her charge. The filmmaker doesn't want to portray the Aborigine people as one-dimensional brutes, like the Indians, as seen through the lenses of Hollywood filmmakers during the studio system heyday. But desperate times call for desperate measures, and the filmmaker neglects to capture the urgency of the Aborigine cause. Since their children are being taken away, nobody would fault them if they responded to the government provocation by vigilant means. The filmmaker renders them impotent. When Nullah and some other Aborigine children are marooned on an island, it's Drover(Hugh Jackman) who comes to their rescue. Expand
  35. AstridI.
    Feb 23, 2009
    A beautifully made film that taps into so much range: romance, action, music, culture, history. The actors give it their all and the story is construed well, as is its telling. It contains a tremendous amount of movie magic though certainly none that demeans the imagination nor heart. It's a perfect film in my opinion, one of the best from 2008.
  36. JayH.
    Feb 27, 2009
    Most definitely fits the term "sprawling epic". Incredible cinematography, art direction, costumes, visual effects etc. It is a beautiful film. The acting is good - especially Nicole Kidman in one of her best performances. It is overlong, but rarely boring. Very entertaining. The first half is much better than the second half. What it lacks in originality it makes up for in grandeur.
  37. DanB
    Apr 1, 2009
    Shammy Sham, we're discussing the quality of acting and movie entertainment value here. We're not discussing the history of Australia. There are documentaries you can rate if you wish. Having said that, the acting was horrible from both Hugh and Nicole. Watching the aborigine child was like watching a bad soap opera. From slavery to cattle driving to romance to sexism to WWII Shammy Sham, we're discussing the quality of acting and movie entertainment value here. We're not discussing the history of Australia. There are documentaries you can rate if you wish. Having said that, the acting was horrible from both Hugh and Nicole. Watching the aborigine child was like watching a bad soap opera. From slavery to cattle driving to romance to sexism to WWII scenes. Yes this movie popped them all in, yet each topic was so poorly done, save the cattle drive scene, albeit computer generated. 3 points awarded for entertaining cattle drive. 7 points deducted for long drawn out scenes and/or poorly done scenes. By the way people...beautiful scenery? Hmm, not really. If you care to see how diverse Australia can be, I suggest going yourself. From jungles to desserts to urban sprawls, this country has them all. Watching a dessert/brush land environment intermixed with poor acting is not my idea of a good time. Now go on your 'walkabouts' and contemplate what makes a good movie. Expand
  38. AlanD
    Apr 18, 2009
    Great acting and a good glimpse of the late 19th century Australia's treatment of aboriginals. Loved Nichole Kidman.
    Nov 24, 2008
    It's melodramatic. It's predictable. It's a little Harlequin Romance. Yes. All true. But did it still pull at my heartstrings and keep me entertained the entire time? Absolutely. Not even the most hardened cynic could fail to be moved by the charming young orphan boy who is the narrator. Oh, and the cattle stampede scene is spectacular. See it - despite the flaws.
  40. BillyS.
    Nov 26, 2008
    As hard as Australia tries to be that Grand Opulent epic love story/western/war movie/social drama, in twenty years Gone With The Wind, Dr. Zhivago and Reds will still be the ones brought up in conversations. Australia is a little of each- beautiful to look at, good acting, a stampede cliffhager (literally) and a aborigine child with a psychic connection to his all knowing grandfather who As hard as Australia tries to be that Grand Opulent epic love story/western/war movie/social drama, in twenty years Gone With The Wind, Dr. Zhivago and Reds will still be the ones brought up in conversations. Australia is a little of each- beautiful to look at, good acting, a stampede cliffhager (literally) and a aborigine child with a psychic connection to his all knowing grandfather who is also the films narrator. It's a very good movie that just keeps pushing itself to be a great movie but it won't be mentioned in those conversations 20 years from now. Expand
  41. ErichH
    Nov 27, 2008
    Luhrmann creates a sentimental, sometimes sappy, engaging epic-big ride, which is great fun and satisfies. Though by no means a masterpiece, I enjoyed myself and got lost up in this Wagnerian length Opera.
  42. Tricklas
    Nov 29, 2008
    This is tied for worst movie ever with The Aviator. Melodrama in the hands of Tarsem or Darren Aronofsky is refreshing and gorgeous. In the hands of Lurhmann it's a train wreck of epic proportions. Lurhmann essentially wanted to make Gone With the Wind for Australia's stolen generation and failed horribly on all fronts. Why couldn't we just keep Rabbit-Proof Fence as the This is tied for worst movie ever with The Aviator. Melodrama in the hands of Tarsem or Darren Aronofsky is refreshing and gorgeous. In the hands of Lurhmann it's a train wreck of epic proportions. Lurhmann essentially wanted to make Gone With the Wind for Australia's stolen generation and failed horribly on all fronts. Why couldn't we just keep Rabbit-Proof Fence as the feather in our collective cap? See The Fall or The Fountain instead. Stay far away from this heaping pile of abnormal, unoriginal kangaroo sh*t. Expand
  43. ChrisM.
    Nov 30, 2008
    Hugh Jackman is outstanding. The epic scenes (bombing of Darwin, the cattle stampede scene) are breathtaking). That little boy is just amazing. The cinematography, the most gorgeous one I've ever seen. In one word? MASTERPIECE.
  44. MikeF
    Nov 30, 2008
    An old-school feel that was ultimately, quite enjoyable...WHYwe go to the movies. Sure there were some occasional moments of cinematic "cheese" but seriously--who doesn't love cheese? It had romance, adventure, comic relief and action. It felt like you could have swapped out John Wayne in the lead and no one would have noticed; Cecil B. DeMille, big screen fun. And as one that JUST An old-school feel that was ultimately, quite enjoyable...WHYwe go to the movies. Sure there were some occasional moments of cinematic "cheese" but seriously--who doesn't love cheese? It had romance, adventure, comic relief and action. It felt like you could have swapped out John Wayne in the lead and no one would have noticed; Cecil B. DeMille, big screen fun. And as one that JUST watched "Fight Club" on DVD for the first time (a interesting movie but jeez--what a dark story), I can say I like "Australia" even more. Movies are supposed to be fun, eh? Expand
  45. RichardS.
    Dec 10, 2008
    Baz Luhrmann has directed the worst film of all time: Moulin Rouge. So it makes sense that he has now directed what will probably turn out to be the most expensive flop of all time. Jackman is a cool actor and I hope he becomes a big star - he's much more likeable than Russell Crowe. Nicole Kidman is beautiful, but she can be too bland as an actress.
  46. SlavisaM.
    Dec 12, 2008
    I thought it was a really good Baz Luhrmann film. I really enjoyed all the technical aspects of the film - beautiful cinematography, excellent sound and music and costumes and art direction. I even like the visual effects. Nicole Kidman did a really good performance and so did a few other supporting characters. Definitely a worthy film.
  47. DavidS.
    Dec 13, 2008
    Action, Romance, Beautiful Cinematography. Australian Western with a twist. Hugh Jackman, Nicole, and Brandon Walters are wonderful together.
  48. AlexK.
    Dec 19, 2008
    The critics have dropped the ball on this one. Australia is epic and beautiful and best of all is fantastically entertaining. Follow your heart and watch it!
  49. MattC.
    Dec 23, 2008
    This is the best movie of the year! Don't listen to the critics.
  50. JobertA.
    Dec 24, 2008
    Old-fashioned Hollywood moving making. Less flashy than Baz Lurhmans's previous film Moulin Rouge!, but more ambitious and epic and scope. The final act falters a bit (and makes this film close to 3 hours), but the first two thirds are fun, shameless entertainment.
  51. CraigN.
    Dec 24, 2008
    Wow! This is a great movie, beyond the Rainbow.
  52. KathrynC
    Dec 28, 2008
    Bloody fantastic - I have seen it twice - Baz is brilliant. Critics go to blazes.
  53. ThomasK.
    Dec 30, 2008
    I was ready to appreciate this movie, and I wasn't disappointed. It has everything; The scenery leaves a sense of wonder; The characters go beyond the shallow stereotype that is so common today; The story covers all the bases, rich in humor, anger, fear, love, adventure, and even a touch of magic. Brandon Walters as a young "Creamy" boy, ( half white-half aboriginal), is worth the I was ready to appreciate this movie, and I wasn't disappointed. It has everything; The scenery leaves a sense of wonder; The characters go beyond the shallow stereotype that is so common today; The story covers all the bases, rich in humor, anger, fear, love, adventure, and even a touch of magic. Brandon Walters as a young "Creamy" boy, ( half white-half aboriginal), is worth the price of admission. Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman are wonderful together. If you allow yourself, this movie will sweep you away, and leave you craving for more just like it. I would give it a 10, but there are no such things as 10's. Expand
  54. Fantasy
    Dec 4, 2008
    I saw this movie in a packed theater. Word of mouth seems to trump the poor reviews by the professional critics. There will not be a dry eye in the house at the conclusion. Australia is almost like 2 movies in one. When you think it is over, it only just begins. The chemistry between Nicole and Hugh was tremendous. The scenery was breathtakingly beautiful as was the Outback countryside. I saw this movie in a packed theater. Word of mouth seems to trump the poor reviews by the professional critics. There will not be a dry eye in the house at the conclusion. Australia is almost like 2 movies in one. When you think it is over, it only just begins. The chemistry between Nicole and Hugh was tremendous. The scenery was breathtakingly beautiful as was the Outback countryside. Don't miss this movie or you will be sorry you did. Enjoy. Expand
  55. JonG.
    Dec 7, 2008
    I've seen plenty of epics and feel very comfortable saying this rates with the best of em.
  56. SusanC.
    Dec 8, 2008
    Best movie I've seen in many a year. This is what movies should be! It had everything, suspense, romance, a cultural component, an arch-villian and a stunning leading man. What's not to like!!?? Will see again in a couple of weeks and probably buy it.
  57. CarolA.
    Dec 8, 2008
    One of the most enjoyable movies I've seen in a long time. Don't understand the negativity in nitpicking. Just go and enjoy.
  58. DaveC.
    Jan 21, 2009
    Long but not drawn out, with beautiful cinematography.
  59. HyperS
    Jan 26, 2009
    Hollywood drivel. The beginning was fine [kind of a Western theme], but the last 30-45 minutes was just the director throwing every Hollywood movie cliche he could at the audience. The Japanese attack was out of place and obviously used to simply facilitate the director's "Happy Ever After Ending" that we've seen a hundred times before. And forcing the villain scenes on us at Hollywood drivel. The beginning was fine [kind of a Western theme], but the last 30-45 minutes was just the director throwing every Hollywood movie cliche he could at the audience. The Japanese attack was out of place and obviously used to simply facilitate the director's "Happy Ever After Ending" that we've seen a hundred times before. And forcing the villain scenes on us at the end was just a pathetic piece of film making. Lazy, unimaginative, and extremely predictable is the only way to describe the ending. But, ladies out there don't worry as I'm a guy reviewing this movie... if you're a girl out there just ignore my score and go watch the movie as its the classic formula for a successful chick flick. You'll love the young kid and the love story and Hugh Jackman and of course the predictable happy ending. Expand
  60. RichR.
    Mar 12, 2009
    I read only bad reviews of this before I saw it, and while I was watching it, at first, I was thinking Wow, this is dumb (even though I kind of like the kid). But slowly I realized this is a children's movie, and after that I started liking it better and better. 8 is a weird score for me. When I comment on something, it's usually a 10 or a 0.
  61. TomS.
    Mar 16, 2009
    As my wife told me, "it's a World War II western romance, what more could you ask for?" I loved it.
  62. NeilK
    Nov 21, 2008
    Eh... a little better than average. It tries to be three different types of movies shot in two different styles. Sometimes Baz Luhrman is just too "smart" for his own good. This is a decent date movies... the gals will swoon over Huge Ackman as well as the story of the child. Guys? Well, it is not completely boring... but, be warned, after seeing Huge with his shirt off, you will be Eh... a little better than average. It tries to be three different types of movies shot in two different styles. Sometimes Baz Luhrman is just too "smart" for his own good. This is a decent date movies... the gals will swoon over Huge Ackman as well as the story of the child. Guys? Well, it is not completely boring... but, be warned, after seeing Huge with his shirt off, you will be looked at as sloppy seconds when the lights come back up. Sorry folks, the CGI looks ridiculous, the story tries to do way too many things with overly cardboard characters. Expand
  63. KenB.
    Nov 27, 2008
    Stunning visually, moving and heartelt. So clever and so many links to other films. Some critics just don't get it. Amazing film.
  64. DarleneR.
    Nov 28, 2008
    I really liked this movie...Jackman was great...especially with his shirt off.
  65. MikeW.
    Nov 29, 2008
    Perfect Holiday Movie. Not nearly as politically courageous as "Rabbit Proof Fence" but still a movie of great landscapes with enjoyable acting.
  66. BonnieL.
    Nov 29, 2008
    Beautiful movie that starts slow, but improves dramatically. I would see it again.
  67. TDKinDallas
    Nov 29, 2008
    Absolutely great time at the movies. Took my Mom and we both thought it was great. Do not pass this up because of the crappy previews ("There was a great sound like whoosh!"). Those original previews were taken out of context and made me not want to go see it. I only went because I thought it would be the kind of movie she would enjoy and I was totally wrong. There were a few things that Absolutely great time at the movies. Took my Mom and we both thought it was great. Do not pass this up because of the crappy previews ("There was a great sound like whoosh!"). Those original previews were taken out of context and made me not want to go see it. I only went because I thought it would be the kind of movie she would enjoy and I was totally wrong. There were a few things that I would have liked different, but I also think it should have been rated R and had a woman to equal Huge's hotness factor. That would be very different, this is a "family" movie. Check it out. Expand
  68. BradC
    Nov 29, 2008
    Loved it! Thoroughly engaging movie that is well worth the price of admission.
  69. JasonM.
    Nov 29, 2008
    One of the most unbearable movies I have seen this year. Formulaic and predictable from start to finish. The acting is pedestrian and painfully campy, not because of a lack of acting talent, but an ATROCIOUSLY written screenplay and sinfully poor directing. Every possible hollywood cliche is found somewhere in this film, from the completely gratuitious One of the most unbearable movies I have seen this year. Formulaic and predictable from start to finish. The acting is pedestrian and painfully campy, not because of a lack of acting talent, but an ATROCIOUSLY written screenplay and sinfully poor directing. Every possible hollywood cliche is found somewhere in this film, from the completely gratuitious Hugh-Jackman-Soaps-Up-His-Muscular-Upper-Body scene, to the ever trite "Let's get outta here" line... I implore you to save your money. The only reason I give this movie a 2 instead of a 1 is because the little kid was cute. Expand
  70. MadalenaL.
    Dec 12, 2008
    Enchanting!
  71. PhilM.
    Dec 25, 2008
    Australia is the most boring country in the world, so good luck trying to make a good film of that.
  72. DanielS.
    Dec 25, 2008
    An ok film, nowhere near the best, but it should be a one time watch for all Australians.
  73. MattP.
    Dec 27, 2008
    Horrendous. Big budget crap.
  74. Jan 9, 2012
    I had very high expectations from Luhrmann, being that "Australia" came as his next project after "Moulin Rouge," which is my favourite film of all times. However, "Australia" is far from deserving that honour. The critics got right the fact that the film is epic. Yes, it clearly is. Almost 3 hours of glorification of Australia - how could it not be? But grandeur alone does not make for aI had very high expectations from Luhrmann, being that "Australia" came as his next project after "Moulin Rouge," which is my favourite film of all times. However, "Australia" is far from deserving that honour. The critics got right the fact that the film is epic. Yes, it clearly is. Almost 3 hours of glorification of Australia - how could it not be? But grandeur alone does not make for a great film. Don't get me wrong - I did enjoy the film, and thought it was good. However, it had a bunch of things wrong with it. First of, it is not one story, it is a dozen of stories mixed into one overly-long film. Seriously, this could have been his next trilogy or something, since Luhrmann squeezed so much material into the film, that it's bursting out of its seems. Technically, though, "Australia" is amazing. With breathtaking cinematography, the usually spectacular art & production design, as well as costumes, and a good soundtrack, technically the film is superb. Acting is pretty good, too. Kidman is very good in comedic moments, but her lips indeed are too distracting from her acting. Jackman is his usual action-her self, so good, but nothing spectacular. The outstanding performances came from David Wenham as the arch-nemesis and the boy Brandon Walters, who stole the show. The screenplay is the weakest link of the film, along with its editing. Overall, "Australia" is a good film, but the story is too long, too stretched out, improbable and just not credible. At the end of the film you are visually amazed and in awe, but you are annoyed with the story. A nice try from Luhrmann, but he should have definitely cut at least 20-30 minutes from the film and worked more on the screenplay. Still, entertaining to watch for the visuals! Expand
  75. Jul 19, 2011
    As beautiful as this movie looks, it seems split over the story it wants to tell. Is it discussing the lives of cattle ranchers or the plight of the aborigines or the impact of WW2 on Australia or the romance between an unlikely couple? You can't fault the movie for lacking ambition but the movie cannot possibly tackle all of these stories effectively, even with its lengthy running time.As beautiful as this movie looks, it seems split over the story it wants to tell. Is it discussing the lives of cattle ranchers or the plight of the aborigines or the impact of WW2 on Australia or the romance between an unlikely couple? You can't fault the movie for lacking ambition but the movie cannot possibly tackle all of these stories effectively, even with its lengthy running time. Each of these story threads feels undercooked as they are systematically left behind after each act. Australia is an overlong, overstuffed test of the viewer's patience. Expand
  76. Jun 17, 2012
    I love this movie!! Only downside is its a little too long...................................................................................................
  77. Dec 3, 2013
    Certainly you can not say that is a masterpiece but is a good movie well drafted. It is enough long but rarely the storytelling is heavy to follow. In my opinion it must have at least the sufficiency. I am not agree with the general metacritic score.
  78. Feb 12, 2013
    An overall decent film, but I felt that the film tried to squeeze far too many elements in, and the almost-3-hour-long film left me feeling like each scene was far too rushed. It was definitely more of a cowboy-type movie that I was expecting, but that didn't detract from the film for me at least. It was not at all what I expected, however, just from seeing a trailer for it--for better andAn overall decent film, but I felt that the film tried to squeeze far too many elements in, and the almost-3-hour-long film left me feeling like each scene was far too rushed. It was definitely more of a cowboy-type movie that I was expecting, but that didn't detract from the film for me at least. It was not at all what I expected, however, just from seeing a trailer for it--for better and for worse. Expand
  79. Feb 10, 2013
    aunque comienza lentamente Australia lo compensa ya que con una fotografĂ­a impecable y unas actuaciones solidas la pelĂ­cula recobra fuerza y atrapa a l espectador
  80. Apr 1, 2014
    Australia is considered one of the best Aussie films to date. The excellent acting by Nicole Kidman really brought the movie to life. I was extremely impressed by the cinematographs of this movie, top niche! The story is amazing and opens the eyes of foreigners to the Australia outback. Differently worth your time! get some popcorn though because its quite a lengthy movie!
  81. Aug 30, 2013
    Epic!! Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman were absolutely perfect for these roles. Another highly underrated movie. It's stunning, enjoyable, funny, epic!!! I am impressed! Baz Luhrmann is a talent!
  82. Apr 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To start out, this movie didn't deserve a 7. It's more like a 6.5 to 6.9 area. That being said, it means that overall I did kinda enjoy this flick, but alot of things about it bothered and frustrated me. By the way, I saw this movie in school without even knowing about it! Moving on, Australia seems like it's got it all, right? Amazing actors, beautiful country/scenery, touching story at times,long running time, sounds great eh? That's the thing. Australia is a little too ambitious at times, and that's what kept it from being great or better. I love to talk about the actors and actresses in my movies, and like I said, they're almost perfect. Hugh Jackman couldn't be better. Only one that wasn't incredibly good was Nullah, but we'll talk about HIM later. Now we move on the core, the story....which...isn't very good. The main conflict is that all the "good guys" are trying to get all their cattle over to this place to get wealth. This lasts about a little more than half of the flick. Then, it moves on to romance, and WWII fighting. It's so jumbled and jumps from 1 thing to the next. Most of the themes are pretty generic, too. Now we move on to the things that are VERY frustrating about this movie. Another big theme of the story is "good guy vs evil guy". No, it's not a bloody war. It's in that "cattle" part of the movie. Also, this movie has one of those endings like, "oh no we can't let this character die because he's so lovable". GENERIC, LAME, come on! We're in the 21st century and seeing this stuff in movies just makes people feel kinda sick. That being said, Australia isn't a total trainwreck. Some parts of the movie I really did enjoy and so will you. It's just that the rest isn't up to par, and like I said, it's a little too ambitious for its own good. Go see it if you're interested, but don't spend more than 5 dollars. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Megan Lehmann
    Defies all but the most cynical not to get carried away by the force of its grandiose imagery and storytelling.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Deliberately anachronistic in its heightened style of romance, villainy and destiny, the epic lays an Aussie accent on colorful motifs drawn from Hollywood Westerns, war films, love stories and socially conscious dramas. Some of it plays, some doesn't, and it is long.
  3. Jackman has musical-theater chops and knows how to sell material this ham-handed; Kidman isn't quite as deft. I've always admired her gumption in working so hard to overcome a certain temperamental tightness--but that tightness has now spread to her skin.