Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: December 18, 2009
Generally favorable reviews based on 3022 Ratings
2,162
WATCH NOW
GeorgeJJun 16, 2010
Graphics phenomenal but story sucked. Unubtainium, really? They couldn't have come up with anything better.
19 of 25 users found this helpful
PrivateJokerApr 10, 2014
I think I'm a minority on my stance towards this movie. I don't have mixed feelings about it just to be edgy and apart from everyone else, it just rubbed me a little differently. I was largely absent from all the hype that surrounded it whenI think I'm a minority on my stance towards this movie. I don't have mixed feelings about it just to be edgy and apart from everyone else, it just rubbed me a little differently. I was largely absent from all the hype that surrounded it when it was released: I finally saw the movie towards the end of its theatrical run. With that being said, I had a much clearer perspective on it, seeing it in a theater with maybe 10 other people in it, and I can honestly say after seeing it, it's one of the most overrated movies of all time. For starters, I think the movie takes itself too seriously. At it's core, the plot is essentially an updated version of "Pocahontas" or "Dances With Wolves." I was genuinely entertained for the first half hour, in which you're introduced to the main characters and the setting of Pandora, but then movie started to take another turn. The whole thing was simply overshadowed by this very self-righteous, naturalist message about how we have to take care of the planet. Now don't get me wrong, I care for the environment, but when I feel like I'm watching a $300,000,000 EPA PSA, it kind of ruins the effect of a movie that comes from the director of Terminator 2. Throughout the movie, various other sci-fi elements are taken from movies like the Matrix and Jurassic Park, and subsequently accompanied by video game quality dialogue. In a word -- it's all over the place and just comes off sappy. Rather than a sophisticated narrative geared towards adults, Cameron just decided to go completely Saturday morning cartoon with this one, causing tons of merchandise and distribution out the ass that caters mainly to middle school boys who take garbage like this too seriously. But hey, it has amazing special effects, so I guess the it's saving grace is the familiarity of the director, and that it looks pretty. Expand
bjmcdonald1991Oct 23, 2013
hurr hurr hurr look at me i use words like mediocre performance and other intelligent sounding words when the only thing i dont like about the movie is that its made the most money ever. Im a rebel i go aqainst what everyone else says just sohurr hurr hurr look at me i use words like mediocre performance and other intelligent sounding words when the only thing i dont like about the movie is that its made the most money ever. Im a rebel i go aqainst what everyone else says just so i can be different from the crowd even though i secretly love this movie hurr hurr hurr Expand
RayPistSep 27, 2013
A bland, cliched story with average acting and although the special effects are superb, it doesn't stop the film from being a mediocre bore-fest that you'll forget in a couple weeks time.
A.E.Feb 21, 2010
Superb special effects can't make-up for a predictible plot and so-so acting. See it in 3D at the theater--no need to ever see this movie on the small screen.
PhilB.Feb 6, 2010
I struggle to understand how anyone can be so sucked in by the graphics that they overlook the recycled plot, terrible dialogue and mediocre performances. If indeed it does change cinema forever then it's a sad day for film-making when I struggle to understand how anyone can be so sucked in by the graphics that they overlook the recycled plot, terrible dialogue and mediocre performances. If indeed it does change cinema forever then it's a sad day for film-making when focussing on the 3D is a substitute for trying to make a good film. I'm just thankful I've not met a single person who was "blown away", in fact I don't know anyone who'd award it more than a 7. Expand
KathySApr 8, 2010
Too long, vastly over-rated.
DPJan 26, 2010
Getting past the awe of a fast panning 3D environment--which is difficult for many sci-fi junkies--I grade the movie on what we'll think outside of our temporary giddiness. When we come back to this movie, the lack of depth in the Getting past the awe of a fast panning 3D environment--which is difficult for many sci-fi junkies--I grade the movie on what we'll think outside of our temporary giddiness. When we come back to this movie, the lack of depth in the characterization, the weak attempts at philosophy, and the over stated Gia-Green Earth message will not only bore us, it will insult us. Remember Jar-Jar from Starwars Episode 1. We tolerated him on the first viewing, but has made repeated viewings intolerable. Once the shiny green is gone; the movie will be as well--or we'll just stare with pitiful regret at a box on our shelves. Expand
USGNov 21, 2011
Other than popularizing 3D, Avatar has nothing else to offer. The story is basic and unbearable at times if not predictable. The only thing that is captivating is the effects and technicality for a short time then it and the dialogue appalls.
TheSuddernatorDec 15, 2011
To sum up a boring film. i mean yeah the cgi, blue alien concept is good but not for 162 minutes. I was frustrated with the fact that james cameron thought it would be ok just to show off the cgi and leave it to a bunch of 10 year olds toTo sum up a boring film. i mean yeah the cgi, blue alien concept is good but not for 162 minutes. I was frustrated with the fact that james cameron thought it would be ok just to show off the cgi and leave it to a bunch of 10 year olds to create a shabby story with more action scenes than all 3 transformers in a row. im not saying its a bad film, not by any means as i suppose the cgi and idea of pandora is well thought of, its just very boring after you realise that the cgi concept is all your going to see in this 2 and a half hour marathon of a film. Expand
NikolayGDec 19, 2014
Kids will like this movie better than adults because the story is very hackneyed and cliched. Any adult will have seen it several dozen times already, so to see it again, in a long drawn out overly long movie, is as tedious as he!!. But kidsKids will like this movie better than adults because the story is very hackneyed and cliched. Any adult will have seen it several dozen times already, so to see it again, in a long drawn out overly long movie, is as tedious as he!!. But kids who have never seen any version of this story before, might like it. The story lacks any nuance. The good guys are the indigenous people without technology who worship a tree. The bad guys are the people from earth, who have lots of technology and calmly drink coffee in their helicopters while they blow the primitive people to smithereens from the air. Like someone else said, it is a 3 hour public service announcement. And it lacks any kind of character development.

And by late 2014 standards, the effects - the blue people - look absurdly fake and cartoonish. I can't believe today that people were impressed by this just a few short years ago. It is a visual joke.
XposureAug 5, 2012
When I decided to begin watching Avatar, I was expecting a great movie, but that's simply not what was revealed before my eyes. The only truly good thing I can say about it, is that it's got some pretty impressive visuals. The rest of theWhen I decided to begin watching Avatar, I was expecting a great movie, but that's simply not what was revealed before my eyes. The only truly good thing I can say about it, is that it's got some pretty impressive visuals. The rest of the movie is more or less average. Expand
NdiAug 18, 2013
You know how some movies and series are all story and no special effects, and they are still awesome, like Dr Who, and Red Dwarf, and animation. Well, Avatar is the exact opposite. A tech demo of what budget can do in this day and age, butYou know how some movies and series are all story and no special effects, and they are still awesome, like Dr Who, and Red Dwarf, and animation. Well, Avatar is the exact opposite. A tech demo of what budget can do in this day and age, but that is it.

Lame recycled story, copied scenes, it's like someone cut some scenes from other movies and re-animated them on a PC with blue people.

The only redeeming quality of the story, frankly, is the fact that the humans are somewhat accurately portrayed. Villains, but not idiotic unexplained villainy, but a nice blend of excusable and inexcusable.

This is a movie that is seen, not understood. Eye candy, and not a very good one at that. The people are blends of 2 Earth animals, the animals are blends of 2 Earth animals, basically, it's just a jungle people story with cream on top.

Under no circumstances is this movie a high scorer. Tech demo, 10. Movie, 5 because of the experience. Seriously, if seeing a movie on a small 2D screen makes it sucky, then it was sucky to begin with.
cag11Nov 26, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although it had a good plot, and somewhat decent graphics, the film was hard to sit through. First there was story, then a battle, then story, then a battle, and it kept going on for a while. The acting was okay for the most part, but there was so much CGI that it takes away from the story. Expand
yogesh487Oct 30, 2014
This movie deserves a Oscar in visual effects. that being said this movie fails in both the story and acting(specially neteri).
this movie should be of 2 hours max.
and some times at night every tree glowing with different colors seems
this movie should be of 2 hours max.
and some times at night every tree glowing with different colors seems awful.
and also character development is bad
ingie44Mar 29, 2014
Where are all these good reviews coming from? I dont get it. The plot is horrifically obvious, the acting banal and the film... boring. I mean ye its kinda pretty but oscars? I just dont get it.
RayzorMooseNov 15, 2013
Avatar collides.
With absolutely fantastic special effects and an okay script, Avatar succeeds with blazing success. Good acting, fair dialogue, and astounding visuals. The plot holes are prevalent, but the movie itself is with good execution.
bfoore90Mar 6, 2017
Once you get past the enriched environments, brilliant use of CGI and 3D filming, you find that Avatar is a so-so film that is essentially "Pocahontas" in space with blue aliens and marines instead of Indians and pilgrims.
FilmVirtueMar 12, 2014
Like most of James movies, you can expect scenes of amazing animation and believable plots, but Avatar for me was one of the more boring films by Cameron. I know lots of people would disagree, but I expect that, but to be far I also expectedLike most of James movies, you can expect scenes of amazing animation and believable plots, but Avatar for me was one of the more boring films by Cameron. I know lots of people would disagree, but I expect that, but to be far I also expected more from the movie itself. Expand
Meth-dudeMay 17, 2015
The special effects were amazing but the acting performances and the length of the film are the week spots.Sam Worthington tries but he is not good enough to be the main character.
Viper8787Apr 21, 2014
In my opinion one of the most overrated movie of all time. The run time was almost 3 hours and there weren't enough entertaining scenes to keep me into it the whole time at all. I also though it took a little while to get going. And even theIn my opinion one of the most overrated movie of all time. The run time was almost 3 hours and there weren't enough entertaining scenes to keep me into it the whole time at all. I also though it took a little while to get going. And even the action scenes were below par to my standards not awful by any means but not as good as everyone says or as I had hoped for. The one thing it had for it was great visual effects and that is why it even gets up to 5 out of 10 for me. Expand
HighPriestesaMay 18, 2014
Visually it's so stunning and mesmerising, but that's just about it. It's boring, predictable, and too much romeoandjuliettey. More mystery and suspense to it would be a nice touch.
ChrisTaylor94Aug 8, 2014
What a technical aspect, yes it is great. That is it. This is a very cliched movie with nothing new, charismatic at all. The characters were nothing special, and more of the run in the mill archetypes that you expect.

The plotline was also

The plotline was also very standard and the story is very thin.
azeitonaApr 28, 2015
If you remove the special effects, thus, removing the Na'vi and replacing them it by... I don't know, native Americans, you'll notice that this film has already been done. Three or four times. White man saves the "stupid" natives that can'tIf you remove the special effects, thus, removing the Na'vi and replacing them it by... I don't know, native Americans, you'll notice that this film has already been done. Three or four times. White man saves the "stupid" natives that can't look after themselves -which is a paradox, after all, because the movie wants you to feel that the Na'vi are really special and have their ways with nature, but they are defenseless even so. What Avatar has of awesome is the ambiance, the effects are amazing (even though I prefer practical SFX, like Blade Runner, or Alien) and the movie turned 3D into something mainstream. Like what Gone with the Wind made with colored movies. Oh, and the Na'vi language was a nice touch, I read that they spent years creating it. But, if you discount all the artistic achievement, you'll notice that this film has been done before, and this version has a cumbersome plot and cheesy dialogue. It's a fun movie if you decide to leave your brain at the door. But for anyone that saw GOOD films in their lives, Avatar is only mediocre. Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 24, 2015
When his twin brother is killed, disabled ex-Marine Jake Sully is recruited to aid a mining expedition on the distant jungle moon of Pandora as only his DNA will bond with the alien hybrid body, known as an Avatar, that allows humans toWhen his twin brother is killed, disabled ex-Marine Jake Sully is recruited to aid a mining expedition on the distant jungle moon of Pandora as only his DNA will bond with the alien hybrid body, known as an Avatar, that allows humans to breathe the toxic air. With orders to infiltrate the Na’vi, Jake finds himself falling in love with native girl, Neytiri, and complications soon ensue…

Cameron seamlessly melds live action, computer-generated animation and 3-D technology. The motion-capture technique that dazzled in Lord of the Rings reaches a new level of proficiency, enabling more nuance in facial expressions.

But for much of the movie, that hardly matters. The scenes in Pandora — a planet with an Earth-like environment — are so breathtaking that the narrative seems almost beside the point.

An epic battle to drive the Na'vi from their land tests Jake's allegiance. At nearly three hours, the movie grows sluggish, especially during the protracted battle scene.

Overrated but enjoyable.
DanBurritoSep 19, 2015
Avatar is a visual treat. But that's the only good thing I can say about it. The world of Pandora is a beautifully rendered world that's so brilliant looking you wish the movie's story was that good. But it's not. We've seen the entire movieAvatar is a visual treat. But that's the only good thing I can say about it. The world of Pandora is a beautifully rendered world that's so brilliant looking you wish the movie's story was that good. But it's not. We've seen the entire movie before- Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, etc. I don't get why you'll pan some movies for being "great to look at but the story wasn't very good" when you acclaimed this despite having the same problem. The film just tries too hard to be smart but the only reason to watch it is to look at the pretty colours. Seriously, is this REALLY the same guy who made Terminator? Expand
phAtBenJNov 25, 2012
Avatar is no doubt my least favorite film of all time for one simple reason: it is everything wrong with Hollywood. Over-budgeted production cost, the lure of 3D to draw viewers, manipulative characters and political messages, and theAvatar is no doubt my least favorite film of all time for one simple reason: it is everything wrong with Hollywood. Over-budgeted production cost, the lure of 3D to draw viewers, manipulative characters and political messages, and the complete lack of depth in the characters and story plague this beautiful looking film. To say that this film is bad would be a lie, but I despise this film so much due to it's one-dimensional characters and predictable and unoriginal story. James Cameron has done some great work in his career (The Terminator films, Aliens, [and even] Titanic), but Avatar is not among that prestigious list. Avatar only goes to prove that visual effects and action scenes do not guarantee a good film. For example, 12 Angry Men is one of the greatest films ever and it contains no action, CGI, and lacks multiple locations; the entire appeal of the film lies in its strong characters, dialogue, premise, and confrontations. Avatar lacks all these quintessential elements, and therefore suffers. Expand
SeriouslyNov 13, 2010
Avatar is a great movie, but just how great is it? While I thought it was pretty cool that they based all the air and space craft on ones from the Halo series, the story was a bit of a disappointment. I was never really into Pocahontas orAvatar is a great movie, but just how great is it? While I thought it was pretty cool that they based all the air and space craft on ones from the Halo series, the story was a bit of a disappointment. I was never really into Pocahontas or Ferngully when a was younger, and I was never into old movies like Dancing with Wolves, so the story of Avatar did not really stick out to me. Visually the film was quite enticing with it's colourful scenery, it was not all that interesting because of the story. Avatar had much potential, but I am not so sure it lived up to its potential.â Expand
RaymondS.Jun 18, 2010
Boring, but visually amazing.
3 of 5 users found this helpful
NF123Aug 11, 2010
Looks good but painfully cliched. I for one would recommend a rent just to see lovely it does really look, but it doesn't take long to find how shallow the charachters truly are
NatDurmanAug 14, 2010
James Cameron has returned from the deep abyss that was Titanic to create something truely remarkable. Avatar is a film shot in digital 3D. However it far suceeds, in terms of techincality, recent films such as Beowulf and UP. It really is aJames Cameron has returned from the deep abyss that was Titanic to create something truely remarkable. Avatar is a film shot in digital 3D. However it far suceeds, in terms of techincality, recent films such as Beowulf and UP. It really is a marvel of architecture. The expressions on the faces of the characters are scaringly un-canny, and the same goes for the environment in which they live in. However all that said, there are some downfalls of this film. For example, the story is extremely thin. It is very easy to get caught up in the beauty of this film, and forget about the cliche full narative, that frankly, if you noticed how bad it was, leaves you feeling like a bit of a sucker. It follows an ex marine called Sam, and is set in the decade of 2050. It starts on board a space ship, that is approaching a fictional planet named 'Pandora'. We later learn that it contains a very valuable substance, and thus why the Americans decide to invade. Sam is chosen, and this is where the 'Avatar' comes in. It is basically a suit that he wears during the time he is in the simulation pod (that allows him to travel to Pandora) it disguises him as one of the 'Na'vi' (the big blue aliens). His goal is to persaude the Na'vi to move away. However in typical fashion he falls in love with one of the indeginous, and we have a classic story. A sort of good cop bad cop scenerio. The good guy being Sam who decides to betray the US and save the Na'vi. The bad guy being an Army General that wants to invade, however he did resemble a character from Toy Soldiers. Without giving away too much, we end up with a happy ending, that like I said earlier, fails to satisfy. However, if you mangage to ignore the story, and just marvel at the CGI, you will be pleased, this is one you have to see on the big screen though, and if you can, see it in 3D. In short it's the cherry without the cake, glamorous but with the essential bits missing. Expand
AvatarM.Jun 3, 2010
full points for visual prowess but zero points for plot and originality-the whole time i was watching it i was thinking wow this is a return to my childhood-it's the upgraded Pocahontas! I was waiting for the animals to talk..had they full points for visual prowess but zero points for plot and originality-the whole time i was watching it i was thinking wow this is a return to my childhood-it's the upgraded Pocahontas! I was waiting for the animals to talk..had they spend more time on character development and originality there would have been nothing to criticize. In their defense having an original alien movie would be difficult...after all there are so many alien movies out there. Expand
doorgoJun 19, 2010
Are the visual effects breathtaking? Of course, but it's absolutely unforgivable to give credit to a near scene by scene re-make of Disney's Pocahontas. No one in all of Hollywood could come up with an original script for what was Are the visual effects breathtaking? Of course, but it's absolutely unforgivable to give credit to a near scene by scene re-make of Disney's Pocahontas. No one in all of Hollywood could come up with an original script for what was to be potentially a breakthrough in 3D filming? I refuse to believe there are no ideas left in Hollywood, but obviously you can't get a screenplay made unless it came from a graphic novel or is outright stolen from a previous script(whether it was good or not). It's just a sad shame. Expand
ThomasG.May 3, 2010
This movie was pretty to look at, but was nothing more. The story was copied and not very good. Besides, the acting was nothing special.
chrisg.May 23, 2010
Cool animation but the anti-american rhetoric was repulsive. Reminded me of a cross between Small Soldiers and The Crucible.
EddyIMay 28, 2010
Well, Avatar Quite possibly the most overhyped movie of all time. Acting is average at best, the plot is unoriginal and was carried out far better in movies released a little over 2 decades ago. However, the visuals are breathtaking, but Well, Avatar Quite possibly the most overhyped movie of all time. Acting is average at best, the plot is unoriginal and was carried out far better in movies released a little over 2 decades ago. However, the visuals are breathtaking, but thats pretty much the best part of this movie. In short, if you're going to spend a decade making a movie might as well give it an original story. Expand
SomeRandoGuyJun 15, 2010
It's ok, not that awesome, but ok. It's long, and it has a lot of good parts. Problem is i'm not a kind of person for this kind of movie, and i was rather bored in a lot of parts. ANother thing i didn't like(my personal It's ok, not that awesome, but ok. It's long, and it has a lot of good parts. Problem is i'm not a kind of person for this kind of movie, and i was rather bored in a lot of parts. ANother thing i didn't like(my personal opinion) was that all the cool characters died and we were left with a blue smurf and his blue gf, reminded me of that song Blue by eifel65(i wonder why). Expand
tycho32Aug 26, 2010
The special effects, CG, and sound were awesome. Beyond the eye candy there is simply nothing here. As other reviewers have stated the story is cliched, and the director was trying to make an obvious political statement. I thought thisThe special effects, CG, and sound were awesome. Beyond the eye candy there is simply nothing here. As other reviewers have stated the story is cliched, and the director was trying to make an obvious political statement. I thought this detracted from the overall story. My wife was predicting plot lines and actor lines, and she never does that. The only part of the story that was not predictable were the huge plot holes throughout the movie. Expand
DGDSNNov 6, 2010
This movie gets a few points in my book for amazing special effects, attempting (ironically) an environmental/anti-corporate message, and a handful of exciting scenes. It is otherwise a trite and pointless exercise in box-office money making.This movie gets a few points in my book for amazing special effects, attempting (ironically) an environmental/anti-corporate message, and a handful of exciting scenes. It is otherwise a trite and pointless exercise in box-office money making. Not only is it a pastiche of many other (better) films, but it is dumbed-down and toothless. The black and white morality, hokey 'spiritualism', and PG romance set to horrible adult contemporary music, screams "Disney!".
On a purely technical note, some of the 'camera' work is suspect, especially those 'quick-zooms' or whatever they call them.
I do not recommend this film to anyone above the age of ten.
simplexNov 11, 2010
8 is for the graphics
0 is for the absolute lack of story originality

It's a all visual and no story.
Would not recommend this movie, and am glad I got it for free.
TheGorillaAug 26, 2011
Congratulations to the special effects and the graphics and the 3D! But, the movie itself is so ridiculous and cheesy. It's terrible. James Cameron can't write a good script. This could have been done a lot better. And, honestly, I'm notCongratulations to the special effects and the graphics and the 3D! But, the movie itself is so ridiculous and cheesy. It's terrible. James Cameron can't write a good script. This could have been done a lot better. And, honestly, I'm not interested in watching sequels. Expand
SixellaFeb 13, 2011
Save yourself some money. Blow the dust off of your old Pocahontas V.H.S, plug that baby in and TADA! Without all the glamour its the exact same thing, whithout even spending a dime! Don't be fooled people.
TheQuietGamerMar 9, 2011
I honestly don't understand all the hype behind this, the story never really grabbed me and the characters weren't interesting, however I will give them credit for creating a unique alien movie as opposed to every aliens are invading movieI honestly don't understand all the hype behind this, the story never really grabbed me and the characters weren't interesting, however I will give them credit for creating a unique alien movie as opposed to every aliens are invading movie that has been done over and over again, but it's still not that great, an ok movie from beginning to end. Expand
TheNewSpielbergMay 1, 2011
A strange mixture of Dances With Wolves and Aliens makes for a an equally bizarre but visually stunning screen epic that unfortunately falls flat on its face when it comes to plot and characters. A crippled soldier is sent undercoverA strange mixture of Dances With Wolves and Aliens makes for a an equally bizarre but visually stunning screen epic that unfortunately falls flat on its face when it comes to plot and characters. A crippled soldier is sent undercover disguised as a blue smurf to convince the natives to move out of their hometown so that the government can obtain a rare and valuable substance known jokingly as "unobtainium". Directed by James Cameron, the same man who swept the world with the 1997 epic Titanic. A movie best experienced in 3-D. All in all, good entertainment. Expand
aaronpaul121May 25, 2012
The visual effects are fantastic but there are certain points in the film that the characters are a little over-the-top. The story is original but a little bit boring. The acting is sometimes good and sometimes weird. This is certainly notThe visual effects are fantastic but there are certain points in the film that the characters are a little over-the-top. The story is original but a little bit boring. The acting is sometimes good and sometimes weird. This is certainly not James Cameron's best, but a solid one though Expand
Chrislake94Jun 5, 2011
Overrated. Storyline is predictable, I mean the trailer itself showed what is going to happen already. I don't care if its the highest grossing film ever. I am not going to judge the film a high rating because of that..
gregthreetAug 1, 2012
Going to see this in the cinema was the biggest disappointment I ever had with a movie. Lots of amazing graphics they said, they were right, a unique experience they said, they were right. Hey guys, ever wondered what the most **** up hero ofGoing to see this in the cinema was the biggest disappointment I ever had with a movie. Lots of amazing graphics they said, they were right, a unique experience they said, they were right. Hey guys, ever wondered what the most **** up hero of all time looked like? The main character of avatar is your answer. Big commando man asks him to politely get the "navi" to move down the road just so the earth can have some more oil. Seems fair. So they turn him into a Navi, great, now he just needs to earn their trust and lead them both to a political understanding. But no, this wanker **** their leaders daughter, attacks humans, starts a **** war, kills all the humans and is presented as some kind of role model. **** **** Something like $7billion spent on this film. Probably spent on tipping of critics so they give it a good score. A **** predictable story with HD slapped on its huge ass. Waste of space. Expand
dev92Aug 25, 2012
The idea for the story and technology used to produce this film are both fantastic. However, it just becomes too boring and too predictable extremely quickly. The characters are so generic and the fact that it gets so much praise isThe idea for the story and technology used to produce this film are both fantastic. However, it just becomes too boring and too predictable extremely quickly. The characters are so generic and the fact that it gets so much praise is indicative of the way movie critics are now-a-days. It wasn't a poor film but it isn't one of the best films ever. It was simply a good film as most of them are. Expand
Kamal_VoltaicOct 30, 2012
Yes. The visuals were amazing... but that's about it. I seriously don't understand how people can call it the greatest movie of all time, the plot is weak.
It's like a cardboard cut-out of a chocolate cake.
theWrathNov 5, 2012
It's the first movie that I saw, who made it perfect with the 3D part. But that's all. Story is boring as hell. I watched Avatar now for the 5th time, the first 3 times I just fall asleep. Sorry, I don't get it!? Why is that movie so great?It's the first movie that I saw, who made it perfect with the 3D part. But that's all. Story is boring as hell. I watched Avatar now for the 5th time, the first 3 times I just fall asleep. Sorry, I don't get it!? Why is that movie so great? Story is nothing new, but the effects are ... Yeah, I'll go and watch the visual demo of my Nvidia, it's the same ... Expand
supermann234Dec 7, 2014
This movie has a storyline which is confusing. The special effects used were awesome. The places are imaginative in the way they are designed. There are lots of action in this movie. However, storyline, as stated is confusing, thus storylineThis movie has a storyline which is confusing. The special effects used were awesome. The places are imaginative in the way they are designed. There are lots of action in this movie. However, storyline, as stated is confusing, thus storyline is horrible. All these makes it an average movie. Expand
Ikarus14Aug 25, 2010
Sure, the visuals are distinctive enough but that doesn't excuse the lazy cut-and-paste job done with the script. We've seen this exact story done before numerous times before and done better. A lot of people seem to think that the visualsSure, the visuals are distinctive enough but that doesn't excuse the lazy cut-and-paste job done with the script. We've seen this exact story done before numerous times before and done better. A lot of people seem to think that the visuals make up for it but in the end this film is nothing more than a tech demo at best.
A real shame.
SilverManJun 10, 2012
Four words for this movie: Pocahontas from the future. It's no joke. The visual effects, Pandora, photography, everything is great. But I think James Cameron got so excited by these that he forgot to invest in a good history. No surprise heFour words for this movie: Pocahontas from the future. It's no joke. The visual effects, Pandora, photography, everything is great. But I think James Cameron got so excited by these that he forgot to invest in a good history. No surprise he didn't get th Oscar for Best Movie... Expand
lizJan 22, 2010
Overrated! The storyline and the characters were grossly underdeveloped. The effects were good but I was under the impression that they would be so good that the plant life and the Na'vi would look realistic. And don't get me Overrated! The storyline and the characters were grossly underdeveloped. The effects were good but I was under the impression that they would be so good that the plant life and the Na'vi would look realistic. And don't get me started on the look of the Na'vi! They resembled African-Americans (braids with beads in them and wide noses as well as some of the tribe leaders' clothing which looked like a Masai rip-off) and Native-Americans (noses, long hair, tall thin like the Disney version of Pocahontas, and also their clothing) they were too lazy when it came time to designing their look. I did feel at some points like I was watching a cartoon movie and one which I would never touch with a ten foot pole. I felt that more needed to be told as far as the Na'vi were concerned, and I wanted to see more of the beautiful forests. In fact, at one point I did think that it would have been cool if Pandora had no sunlight so that during the whole film we could see the beautiful glow-in-the-dark plant life. That was my favorite part of the movie and I still hope to have a dream in which I'm surrounded by such beauty! The movie really went down-hill for me when the war started, at first it was fine but then it went on for too long and it turned the movie into another action flick. I feel like I'm the only person who thinks that James Cameron isn't very good. Sure he is good with special effects, but he's no artist who can really be innovative (like those filmmakers who don't take 5 years to make a movie that is generic in terms of storyline which is the most important reason to see a movie) and write great stories with great characters and depth. I did enjoy Avatar as a fun popcorn flick and am glad I saw it but i don't understand why so many people are giving it so much high praise! And I am horrified that it's being nominated for some major awards. I just hope it doesn't win an Oscar like Titanic did (another movie I enjoyed as a good popcorn flick and yet even as a 14 year old with crush on Dicaprio, I knew better than to think it deserved the awards it received!) or I'll go crazy. Expand
0 of 2 users found this helpful
JoshMJan 20, 2010
A very pretty, shallow film. It was Ferngully with CGI. It felt like Cameron was trying to cram in every single story cliche he could think of. Extremely generic and boring. Every single thing that happens in the movie can be seen from miles A very pretty, shallow film. It was Ferngully with CGI. It felt like Cameron was trying to cram in every single story cliche he could think of. Extremely generic and boring. Every single thing that happens in the movie can be seen from miles away. Worth a watch to check out the graphics, otherwise, pass. Expand
SoroushAJan 3, 2010
Special effects simply made me more unintrigued in the 3D film as it seemed too much was fed to the graphics that the characters themselves! Questions were not answered especially for a 3 hr movie (how did he lose control of his legs, how Special effects simply made me more unintrigued in the 3D film as it seemed too much was fed to the graphics that the characters themselves! Questions were not answered especially for a 3 hr movie (how did he lose control of his legs, how did his brother die? etc.) which limited any character building. Special effects: 10, Acting: 4, Storyline: 6, Dialogue: 6, Character development: 5... please is this movie really in the same league as gladiator?? cos i dont remember crying to this movie at any stage! Expand
philipd.Mar 3, 2010
Technically noteworthy, but cinematically, a let-down.
JawclAug 17, 2010
Truly I disliked this movie.... A lot. I'm giving it a six for special effects which were amazing. But as for the actual story it really wasn't very original. John Smith goes to the "New World" and saves the girl he loves. Doesn't thisTruly I disliked this movie.... A lot. I'm giving it a six for special effects which were amazing. But as for the actual story it really wasn't very original. John Smith goes to the "New World" and saves the girl he loves. Doesn't this sound like Avatar? I think it was too close to Pocahontas, but some of you may think otherwise. Still, this movie was entertaining but I don't like movies with the "earth god" thing or fantasy.... It's worth seeing though, rent it for sure. Expand
TubieNov 2, 2010
If you didn't get the chance to watch this in theaters, I feel sorry for you. The non 3D version simply isn't as good. Even on a 1080p screen it shows that this movie was more about the experience of watching 3D well done and not the story inIf you didn't get the chance to watch this in theaters, I feel sorry for you. The non 3D version simply isn't as good. Even on a 1080p screen it shows that this movie was more about the experience of watching 3D well done and not the story in the movie itself. Expand
VAFrankyDec 31, 2010
The pinnacle of the "think with your eyes not with your mind" movement that is currently ruining the fields of cinema, music, and video games. This movie looks astounding in IMAX and 1080p and the special effects are ground breaking. TheThe pinnacle of the "think with your eyes not with your mind" movement that is currently ruining the fields of cinema, music, and video games. This movie looks astounding in IMAX and 1080p and the special effects are ground breaking. The sound quality is also phenomenal and I can see how it is really easy to get sucked into the eye candy that is being offered up. The script and acting however leave much to be desired and you need to be able to look beyond the pretty pictures. Once you get past the shiny solar panels on the space ships and glowing lights on the alien planet the movie doesn't have much substance. This is without a doubt one of the most overrated movies of all time. I wouldn't go as far as to give it a 1 or a 0 but this movie had immense potential and ultimately turned out to be a giant heap of eye candy. Expand
cameronmorewoodNov 8, 2012
A great vision, with more than excellent visual effects, some of the best I've ever seen in fact. Despite this, the film drones on for the last hour with battle sequences. If you're not a hardcore sci-fi action fan, it'll put you to sleep.
TheWalrus2000Mar 9, 2013
Truly Avatar was a mastermind. Was. Cameron gives the plot too many things to keep up with, not only that but it gives you an unpleasing run time that will leave you bored till the end. Now for the people who disageree with me and say its anTruly Avatar was a mastermind. Was. Cameron gives the plot too many things to keep up with, not only that but it gives you an unpleasing run time that will leave you bored till the end. Now for the people who disageree with me and say its an all time epic film your wrong. Watch it again and you'll realize how boring and forgettable the last battle of the movie was. So overall, this was a very exhausting film to watch. Expand
ExKingApr 4, 2013
I'm not really a fan of big budget movies except for Titanic i think having a big budget movie will make it hard to maintain the story and the actors performances and aside from the fact that this movie in 3D i think James Cameron did aI'm not really a fan of big budget movies except for Titanic i think having a big budget movie will make it hard to maintain the story and the actors performances and aside from the fact that this movie in 3D i think James Cameron did a spectacular job with the visual effect and all that technological stuff but is the story solid NO is the performances good NO is the performance by Sam Worthington the leading actor memorable Hell NO he can't act so we left with nothing good and memorable also the story is unstable and messy so for me a solid 6 out of 10 fit to this movie. Expand
alexo774Jul 19, 2015
the environbment is realy important and peopl do note understand e that it needs protect. this movie says thaew environment is protec4t and i respect it for that so it make god movies. james ceeameron is myf ather figurte anded sad... likethe environbment is realy important and peopl do note understand e that it needs protect. this movie says thaew environment is protec4t and i respect it for that so it make god movies. james ceeameron is myf ather figurte anded sad... like this moviesz. i like how rhias movie connects to teinetanic.... cuz leonardoo decaprio was in the end in the blue trwwe, and i creid becus i thought he ded... it remindedfrg me of mi childho9ed becaused whey i was yung i wa blue and ded. good job caemerin you make made kate whihslets cry in this movie right????? i give 10 Expand
vinniegJan 1, 2010
Its Dances with Wolves plus CGI. Incredible CGI, but CGI nontheless. The story was a joke, predictable with childish dialogue. No one can doubt that the effects are wonderful, but we dont go to the movies to see special effects, we go to be Its Dances with Wolves plus CGI. Incredible CGI, but CGI nontheless. The story was a joke, predictable with childish dialogue. No one can doubt that the effects are wonderful, but we dont go to the movies to see special effects, we go to be told a story. This movie is a spectacle, not a story.) Expand
AndreaKJan 2, 2010
Liked the animation. Didn't like the story. Yes, natives need white americans to save them from other white americans. It's inconceivable that natives could come up with some strategy to save themselves. Is it because white Liked the animation. Didn't like the story. Yes, natives need white americans to save them from other white americans. It's inconceivable that natives could come up with some strategy to save themselves. Is it because white americans are the superior race? Well, that must be it. Learning to be a warrior took the natives years of training...white american took 3 months. Whatever. And we all know the real end of this story. History has taught us again and again ...white americans return with bigger guns and kill/capture everbody. Expand
KenGJan 7, 2010
If all you care about is special effects, and the visual look of a film, you'll probably love this.The movie is superb with these things. But if like me, you also care about plot, script, and characters, you might well be disappointed If all you care about is special effects, and the visual look of a film, you'll probably love this.The movie is superb with these things. But if like me, you also care about plot, script, and characters, you might well be disappointed with this movie, as very little effort went into these things. To give this movie a high grade, would be rewarding James Cameron for being lazy in a lot of ways. Expand
JoeMJan 9, 2010
Beautiful visuals, some good advances in CGI are shown in this flick. But that is about it. It is a 3 hour tech demo. The story is predictable and most of the characters are flat with the exception of the lead as you would expect. This is Beautiful visuals, some good advances in CGI are shown in this flick. But that is about it. It is a 3 hour tech demo. The story is predictable and most of the characters are flat with the exception of the lead as you would expect. This is Fern Gully almost scene for scene but stretched out. It's nice to see state of the art however I am a little tired of how easily people ignore all other aspects of the film as long as it is pretty enough. I look forward to when these new techniques become more affordable so that we can have the technology along with some more in-depth writing/direction. Expand
PiotrFeb 1, 2010
There two aspects to think of regarding Avatar: 1. Picture- amazing, milestone, no words to fully acknowledge this! 2. Story/Message- shallow, dull, target group- 10 to 15 years. One clearly catches 2days political situation dressed up in There two aspects to think of regarding Avatar: 1. Picture- amazing, milestone, no words to fully acknowledge this! 2. Story/Message- shallow, dull, target group- 10 to 15 years. One clearly catches 2days political situation dressed up in sci-fi clothing, but again it almost hits you right between eyes, so someone considered general public not to be smart. Worth watching, not worth thinking about. Expand
KaydeFeb 18, 2010
In the love of all that is holy, why does this movie have a score of 88? Yes, it is a visual spectacle, and yes, the technological innovations it employs are nothing short of fantastical, but this is A BAD MOVIE. The story is generic and In the love of all that is holy, why does this movie have a score of 88? Yes, it is a visual spectacle, and yes, the technological innovations it employs are nothing short of fantastical, but this is A BAD MOVIE. The story is generic and clunky, in addition to the structure of the script being PAINFULLY obvious as one watches the movie. The characters are flat, and the political overtones are a little overdone. It is a visual dazzlement wrapped around an empty shell, and does not deserve to win a Best Picture Oscar. Star Wars was a technological marvel, and it was hugely entertaining, but did it deserve the highest honor possible to bestow upon a film?? No. Neither does Avatar. Expand
CharlesKFeb 6, 2010
Had Cameron shot in the Amazon in 3D it would have been just as stunning. Had he written a script that made any sense and didn't have holes to drive trucks through it might have been vaguely memorable, had he seized the opportunity and Had Cameron shot in the Amazon in 3D it would have been just as stunning. Had he written a script that made any sense and didn't have holes to drive trucks through it might have been vaguely memorable, had he seized the opportunity and created a truly alien world instead of Earth with 6 legged horses etc etc and 8 foot lean humans with tails it might have soared but the absurdity of all good/all evil, idiot American administrators but sage scientists (not very) and a military using 17th Century techniques just killed it. Too long by 40 mins, too twee by half. Nice 3D. Expand
EladioMMar 6, 2010
This movie is Dineye's Pocahontas on steroids, nothing more. Excelent FX? Hell, yes! But the plot is weak and the story is full of obvius cliches -- most of them came (no surprise) from the above mentioned "source", Pocahontas.
SiHApr 6, 2010
Would you go see a play that had a great set but poor plot, character development, use of language and/or acting? If you would then you'll love Avatar.
MaxL.Dec 20, 2009
Spectacular with emphasize on the spectacles. The visual effects and some of the shots are amazing. The story and dialogues, however, are simple minded with cartoonish characters, making the long runtime unbearable. See it in the big screen Spectacular with emphasize on the spectacles. The visual effects and some of the shots are amazing. The story and dialogues, however, are simple minded with cartoonish characters, making the long runtime unbearable. See it in the big screen but don't expect too much. Expand
MMDec 30, 2009
Overrated. Seriously now, anyone who's read a few books can tell clearly that the storytelling was cheesy and cliche: I literally guessed the entire scope of the plot with all the main "twists" after watching the first 20 minutes of the Overrated. Seriously now, anyone who's read a few books can tell clearly that the storytelling was cheesy and cliche: I literally guessed the entire scope of the plot with all the main "twists" after watching the first 20 minutes of the film. The dialogue was boring and uninventive, sticking straight to the formula. The effects were decent, but I found the 3D to be kind of weak and I think Cameron should have stuck to normal film. It's not a terrible movie, but don't expect to get your heart wrenched out by the story or be shocked by the conclusion - it's exactly what you expect. Expand
NachoC.Dec 30, 2009
Visually, the film is stunning, the special effects are out of this world, but unlike other Cameron films, this film lacks development or originality. Basically it was a. Pocahontas music and b. it is Dances with Wolves with blue aliens with Visually, the film is stunning, the special effects are out of this world, but unlike other Cameron films, this film lacks development or originality. Basically it was a. Pocahontas music and b. it is Dances with Wolves with blue aliens with it. It was just not what I expected and not in a good way. Expand
PabloS.Jan 14, 2010
This hurts. Not ever did I want to say anything negative about a James Cameron film, but that's where this is going. I want to start off by saying that I did not find the effects as everyone else, maybe it's because CGI with detail This hurts. Not ever did I want to say anything negative about a James Cameron film, but that's where this is going. I want to start off by saying that I did not find the effects as everyone else, maybe it's because CGI with detail and human emotion isn't such a big deal anymore. I mean we all knew it was heading this way, but this is not CGI without humans, this was mo-cap and its obvious and it should be mo-cap to achieve the Uncanny Valley. All in all we all play video games now and this was not that impressive in a world filled with CGI. Enough about the effects however, the 3D was very well done in the use of depth and being tolerable for two and a half hours, although nothing mind blowing like debris flying at you. Movie theaters still have not achieved the theme park 3D that everyone really wants to see. Now this is where the biggest knock comes and I realize that people are suckers for a good love story, but do you remember Fern Gully? Yup the animated Fox film in the '90's about the rainforrest and fairies, now imagine the fairies being 12 foot blue Native Americans and Sam Worthington is the shrunken guy that realizes that teraing doen the rainforrest is bad. Hmm....ok lets take that story and add millions more dollars to it and make it a sci-fi opus (which it isn't) and tell everyone that they've never seen anything like this. I have and I want my money back. Expand
felipem.Jan 1, 2010
A nivel visual bastante buena,el resto muy irregular.es como pocahontas en el futuro!.muy predecible.guion con ideas y estereotipos muy trillados.
mlJan 10, 2010
Watching the media genuflect is really frustrating. I'm a member of the digital generation and this stuff doesn't impress me anymore. You forget about the 3D fifteen minutes in, and there are many movies that put their CGI to Watching the media genuflect is really frustrating. I'm a member of the digital generation and this stuff doesn't impress me anymore. You forget about the 3D fifteen minutes in, and there are many movies that put their CGI to better purposes without a $300 price tag or killing the suspension of disbelief. Without the pretty graphics we are left with a predictable, cliched plot, terrible characters and dialog, and a blatant political subtext that is insulting to even Sarah Palin's intelligence and left me, a far-left liberal, feeling very annoyed. This movie is like being hit over the head repeatedly with a heavy blunt object. Expand
JosephL.Jan 18, 2010
Been there-done it. Can anyone say "Dances with Wolves albeit in 3D? Am I the only one that is less than wowed with Avatar?
IanMJan 20, 2010
The film was flashy. That was it. Don't get me wrong I'm sure the technology driving it was revolutionary, but the story is so drab and run of the mill that in the first five minutes I knew what was going to happen. It has a good The film was flashy. That was it. Don't get me wrong I'm sure the technology driving it was revolutionary, but the story is so drab and run of the mill that in the first five minutes I knew what was going to happen. It has a good message, but I fear that this plight was drowned out by loud explosions and glossed over with fancy computers. Also I did not like how in the first six minutes of the film I could tell who the bad guys were. It would have created a much more interesting conflict had the lines between good and evil been blurred as they so often are in real life. We know off the bat that the humans are selfish pigs who are occupying the planet Pandora for nothing more than a monetary greed. Over all I fear this film's quality has been blown out of proportion and the ratings skewed because James Cameron created some new fancy machine that helps us confuse great CGI with great story. Expand
TizioJan 23, 2010
It's Pocahontas with great effects and music.
LillieJan 3, 2010
The story is a string of tired movie plot cliches, the music is a variation on the Titanic theme, and the very long battle at the end becomes tiresome fast, nevertheless, it is visually transporting and entertaining, as long as you're The story is a string of tired movie plot cliches, the music is a variation on the Titanic theme, and the very long battle at the end becomes tiresome fast, nevertheless, it is visually transporting and entertaining, as long as you're not looking for anything more. If you don't mind inwardly rolling your eyes every 15 minutes, you will enjoy the visual spectacle. Expand
AntJan 7, 2010
A stunningly beautiful movie that unfortunately doesn't so much have a plot as a checklist of clichés.
HomerSFeb 11, 2010
This would've been freaken amazing if I didn't have some Fat Guy blocking half of my view and giving away the entire ending to me.... Seriously, that guy needs to GET A LIFE!!! anyone who watches this movie SIX TIMES and gives away This would've been freaken amazing if I didn't have some Fat Guy blocking half of my view and giving away the entire ending to me.... Seriously, that guy needs to GET A LIFE!!! anyone who watches this movie SIX TIMES and gives away the entire ending to everyone around him seriously needs to go away to another universe. Expand
MarhadiashaK.Feb 1, 2010
It's average. The plot is average, acting average. The 3D effects are not satisfying. The only good thing is the Na'vi facial expressions. Overall, mediocre movie.
L.M.Feb 16, 2010
Sigh....well I certainly had high hopes for the movie and I'm glad to say it wasn't that disappointing. While it does have an unoriginal story, the new themes of the Navi (indians basically) are interesting enough. A bit too drawn Sigh....well I certainly had high hopes for the movie and I'm glad to say it wasn't that disappointing. While it does have an unoriginal story, the new themes of the Navi (indians basically) are interesting enough. A bit too drawn out but still enjoyable with suprisingly almost no humor. I would probably send my rating down around the 5 area had I not seen it in 3-D, since you had a sense that Cameron wanted to use it for a way to enhance the movie and not just be eye candy I'll give me credit for that. Needless to say the only thing keeping the movie up this high of a rating is the use of 3-D, hopefully we can now see improvements upon dialouge, acting, pacing, and no cheesy love story for the sequel to possibly get the score it deserves. Expand
SandyMar 5, 2010
Visuals did just enough to keep me engaged most of the time, but not from nodding off in the face of a dull, incoherent story. I'm not sure whether it would have been better with what must have been left on the cutting room floor, but Visuals did just enough to keep me engaged most of the time, but not from nodding off in the face of a dull, incoherent story. I'm not sure whether it would have been better with what must have been left on the cutting room floor, but James Cameron sank with 'Titanic' and this hasn't refloated him (whatever the dollar count may say). Sci-fi/fantasy for kiddies, yet Ferngully was just so much more fun! Expand
BillyOMar 5, 2010
When I first saw the movie, the graphics, the 3D, the visual effects hypnotized me, which I believe happened to most of the people who saw it. It sucks you in, making you believe you saw a good movie as you walk out of the movie theatre. When I first saw the movie, the graphics, the 3D, the visual effects hypnotized me, which I believe happened to most of the people who saw it. It sucks you in, making you believe you saw a good movie as you walk out of the movie theatre. After the dazzle wore off half way through the movie I started realizing how predictable the movie was, how stereotypical every character was. The mercenaries were brutal killers, the protagonist falls in love and switches to the "good side",the corporate exec. was willing to turn his head for profit. Where were the variables. I do see the side of the plot that is trying to make a point on what we have become as a society and what we have done to get here. Overall it felt like a very expensive Pocohantas. Expand
ginoMMar 7, 2010
It escapes me how Avatar is being championed as the standout movie ushering us into a new frontier of film making, when it is nothing more than the next baby step in Cinematography and Cinematography alone. If it were merely a pretty It escapes me how Avatar is being championed as the standout movie ushering us into a new frontier of film making, when it is nothing more than the next baby step in Cinematography and Cinematography alone. If it were merely a pretty picture, inspiring film makers to create new worlds when presented with the plausible impetus to do so, there would be no debate in my mind. But it's not. This movie has been respected by critics and commonplace audience alike. What did it do beyond it's visuals? It was written unwittingly, seemingly with an intent to do just that. The story inspires nothing more than a cheap nostalgic stroll to the over-spun screenplay graveyard of every Hollywood cliche. Pitiful exploits of corny one-liners, narrow characters and predictable plot twists saturate every moment of Aavatar. It is ultimately mundane in every way beyond the visual stimulus. Expand
JackS.Apr 11, 2010
What makes a movie immersive? Is it the visuals or is it the plot and believable acting? I find it to be the latter. Avatar is a movie with a story that has a story that's been done before, with adequate acting (and I use adequate very What makes a movie immersive? Is it the visuals or is it the plot and believable acting? I find it to be the latter. Avatar is a movie with a story that has a story that's been done before, with adequate acting (and I use adequate very generously), and poor pacing. The effects were amazing, but thirty years down the line, these effects will be outdated, and what will we be left with? A movie with an overused plot, adequate acting, and poor pacing, with NO AMAZING EFFECTS. This movie set a bad example for movies everywhere, telling moviemakers all over the world that 3D sells, and that originality and creativity does not. Expand
JacobTDApr 6, 2010
Great visuals, story/been there done that feeling/acting/script were all a D+ at best. This is a C movie. Nowhere near my top 10 for the year.
DominicDApr 9, 2010
This movie was incredibly over-rated.It used devices which are familiar with too many film clichés.It was largely predictable, I came in expecting something that would blow my mind, but nothing about this was impressive; not so much This movie was incredibly over-rated.It used devices which are familiar with too many film clichés.It was largely predictable, I came in expecting something that would blow my mind, but nothing about this was impressive; not so much as to receive such acclaim.The good aspects were the special effects and the 3D and the plot/script was adequate. Expand
NormDDec 23, 2009
congrats Cameron! In creating a movie which decries the destruction of primitive societies, you have effectively begun the destruction of the 'primitive' art form of narrative and thematic storytelling. you have gone from congrats Cameron! In creating a movie which decries the destruction of primitive societies, you have effectively begun the destruction of the 'primitive' art form of narrative and thematic storytelling. you have gone from 'king of the world' to shiva the destroyer. say goodbye to hollywood..in 10 years, it'll all be 400 million dollar corporations masquerading as movies. 3d was nice though. Expand
GregADec 23, 2009
The special effects were quite vertiginous, but I feel like the director did not take a few things into consideration. First of all, does he not understand the insane electricity bill the planet would be receiving every month due to the The special effects were quite vertiginous, but I feel like the director did not take a few things into consideration. First of all, does he not understand the insane electricity bill the planet would be receiving every month due to the lighting sources placed in the ground? I also feel that he left out the Blue Penis demographic, which I believed this would be the only movie of the Winter that could compare to the Blue Penis quota set by Watchmen, which was still quite low. On the whole, the movie was less filled with phosphorescent genitalia than I was hoping for. Four words to describe this movie: NOT ENOUGH BLUE PENIS! Expand
UldisBJan 11, 2010
Story is so lacking that trailer tells it almost all. This movie is comic like in its plot and characters. Visuals make up for missing story, but engaged me only for about 1/2 movie. Then i got bored and little logical errors ruined reality Story is so lacking that trailer tells it almost all. This movie is comic like in its plot and characters. Visuals make up for missing story, but engaged me only for about 1/2 movie. Then i got bored and little logical errors ruined reality feeling of the movie - e.g. there exists no real communication link between human and avatar - they are connected by magic in otherwise technoworld, why someone makes giant earthmoving machine with cameras that can be taken off with a rock, why early 21st century technology in a distant future, and so on. Last 20 minutes of fighting, killing and dying got me engaged again. Luckily we do not need to kill anybody for real in Colloseum these days - computer graphics are good enough, but basic joy of seeing bad guy killed are ageless. There are two new 'props' i have not yet seen in the movie - universal man-animal interface the natives use to connect with various living things and biological network storage where navi's upload their deceased for eternal storage :) Unfortunately what these things could mean for humanity does concern Cameron not. These are props to make scene. This is not the movie i will keep at home and watch again. Expand
JAJan 11, 2010
Really doesn't live up to the hype. Yes, it is very visually impressive, but the character/creature designs are uninspired, and the plot is bland let call it vanillaish, and all the characters are flat one dementional people you cant Really doesn't live up to the hype. Yes, it is very visually impressive, but the character/creature designs are uninspired, and the plot is bland let call it vanillaish, and all the characters are flat one dementional people you cant help but not care about. Expand
DQSJan 1, 2010
Why do "ground breaking films" so often have scripts that are so stunningly dull and unimaginative. I guess if you only experience life via video games that's the extent of your experience to write from. Wish it had been anything but Why do "ground breaking films" so often have scripts that are so stunningly dull and unimaginative. I guess if you only experience life via video games that's the extent of your experience to write from. Wish it had been anything but predictable. Expand
MiguelGJan 13, 2010
Definition of average. This movie has fantastic visuals and cinematography, and the 3d is a must to experience this movie, however the story, acting, and dialogue is predictable, cliched, cheesy, and a complete copy of Pocahontas, Dances Definition of average. This movie has fantastic visuals and cinematography, and the 3d is a must to experience this movie, however the story, acting, and dialogue is predictable, cliched, cheesy, and a complete copy of Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves, and probably about a 1000 other movies. I saw it for free so I didn't mind so much but I certainly wouldn't have paid to see this movie. The only thing the movie has going for it is the 3d and special effects. Expand
MattiF.Jan 19, 2010
While this film will be remembered as probably the first film with properly natural looking and animated cgi characters and one of the only films so far that managed to use 3d effects without overusing gratuitous "coming at you" shots While this film will be remembered as probably the first film with properly natural looking and animated cgi characters and one of the only films so far that managed to use 3d effects without overusing gratuitous "coming at you" shots I'm afraid that the actual film underneath the graphics it is very light with all the attention focused on the visual flair and not the plot or characters. A score of 4/10 represents what is now at the start of 2010; a mediocre film which showcases current computer graphics technology at its peak. In a few years this technology will be outdated and it is my belief that the film will be mostly forgotten. It is definitely not so bad that it's unwatchable but the far too long run time and simple story mean that I'd never bother watching it again. Expand