7.5

1. Oct 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first time I heard about avatar it made me think about a flying monk with a stick to wack guys with. But when I saw the trailer then I got more interested in it. Turns out its all about a disabled ex-marine who fills in for his twin brother (because he was shot by a robber), to go to a distant planet. In order to become part of the avatar program (the DNA of the user and the indiginous natives, that was fused together in order to befriend them). He has to befriend them so that the other humans can get a rare element that happens to be under their home tree.it turns out that the real bad guys are us. Well thats all I'm going to say exeppt that it is one of my favourite movie. And the best movie ewer made. Can't wait till avatar 2. Expand
  2. Oct 18, 2011
    This movie is really stunning. The effects and CGI are amazing, and it has a great storyline. Years of planning put into this payed off. Pandora was designed really well, and the battle scenes couldn't have been better. The "avatars" were played by real actors and filmed on a motion capture studio, and they done really well. the film was really well made, and I can't think of many ways inThis movie is really stunning. The effects and CGI are amazing, and it has a great storyline. Years of planning put into this payed off. Pandora was designed really well, and the battle scenes couldn't have been better. The "avatars" were played by real actors and filmed on a motion capture studio, and they done really well. the film was really well made, and I can't think of many ways in which it could be improved upon. Expand
  3. Nov 11, 2011
    Amazing special effects! Some people don't like the story of this film but I do. It is very fun and it was worth it to see this movie. The large budget really shows that a lot of work was put into this movie
  4. Jun 17, 2012
    It's the number one blockbuster of all time. It used every inch of its over sized budget to create one of the most spectacular set of effects ever seen. Yet despite its crowing achievement, AVATAR is not Cameron's best works, too distilled for a more general audiences. Not as great as his classics such as Aliens or T2, but more palatable for the masses. At its heart, it's a love story toldIt's the number one blockbuster of all time. It used every inch of its over sized budget to create one of the most spectacular set of effects ever seen. Yet despite its crowing achievement, AVATAR is not Cameron's best works, too distilled for a more general audiences. Not as great as his classics such as Aliens or T2, but more palatable for the masses. At its heart, it's a love story told countless before. This simplicity allows it to become a film that transcend different cultures, but it is also its main weakness. Yet despite all that, it is still well acted and has pioneered technology that is currently influences other film makers today. Again, just like the Dark Knight, another blockbuster classic too populist for the OSCARS. Expand
  5. Dec 22, 2011
    This movie actually shows the real history of humans that how we where and then what happend to us after a perfect golden age and how we all were one and closed to each other and the nature.
  6. Feb 24, 2013
    People bashed it cause it was a big budget film and the focus of the previews and reviews were on the special effects, however this is one of the best sci-fi movies ever made, filled with hidden messages and real implications for our future. If you refuse to see it because it was a highly publicized blockbuster, than you are an idiot!
  7. Aug 24, 2014
    One of the best movies I've seen this year - and one of the best movies I've seen overall.

The story leaves little to imagination in both good and the bad: there's nothing overly surprising in the plot itself, but it has just about every element when it comes to action, drama, adventure, sci-fi and fantasy. The elements in the movie complete each other; the colors, the music, the

The elements in the movie complete each other; the colors, the music, the language, the story, the characters, and the overall feeling that goes from beginning to end.

Although tragic in places, this movie gives you a happy feeling of victory and success. It has a story of survival and acceptance, approval and discovery. Worlds and cultures clash, and that is the main theme. The romance, for once, did not make me want to throw up or roll my eyes, which is an achievement in and on itself; it came naturally with the course of the movie.

This is a five star movie, but I felt as if something was missing. Perhaps it was the element of surprise. Also, some of the characters were introduced in the fly - something that happens fairly often in movies - and were left a bit shallow because of that (Michelle Rodriquez's character Trudy to name one).

And while it didn't confuse me, they didn't much explain how Avatars work in relation to their drivers. I didn't need further explanations on that area, but I'm sure there are people who are interested in the limits and correlation of the two.
  8. Sep 1, 2014
    After taking nearly four years to finally see this film, I am quite impressed. The story may verge on Dances with Wolves but it is still a powerful one and so beautifully shown.
  9. Nov 23, 2013
    Avatar is as imaginative and innovative as a movie can be, but it is only enjoyable on the big screen, the biggest you can get, and in 3D. Another problem I had with this film is that once you have seen it for the first time, it's impossible to re-watch it without feeling tired of it.
  10. Apr 4, 2012
    La mejor pelicula de ciencia ficcion desde The Matrix. Avatar es simplemente extraordinaria. Un filme romantico e visualmente fantastico que nos presenta problemas reales. La historia puede que sea poco creativa, pero la trama, los elmentos que Avatar posee la hacen ser perfecta. La verdad es que fue sorprendente, no solo visualmente, sino ademas que presenta problemas causados porLa mejor pelicula de ciencia ficcion desde The Matrix. Avatar es simplemente extraordinaria. Un filme romantico e visualmente fantastico que nos presenta problemas reales. La historia puede que sea poco creativa, pero la trama, los elmentos que Avatar posee la hacen ser perfecta. La verdad es que fue sorprendente, no solo visualmente, sino ademas que presenta problemas causados por humanos. Cameron lo hace nuevemante, esta es definitivamente su mejor pelicula. No es solo un filme, sino la razon por la que vamos al cine. Expand
  11. Jul 4, 2012
    Cameron hit on special effects but other than that, unoriginal in story and slightly boring. Too much CGI for my liking. Very well done effects but the story falls short of new and/or exciting.
  12. Nov 8, 2012
    A great vision, with more than excellent visual effects, some of the best I've ever seen in fact. Despite this, the film drones on for the last hour with battle sequences. If you're not a hardcore sci-fi action fan, it'll put you to sleep.
  13. Aug 5, 2013
    Avatar 10/10..........................................................................................................................................
  14. Sep 7, 2015
    Barring the by-the-numbers story, James Cameron's "Avatar" retains a supreme amount of imaginative prowess, accentuated by superior CGI/mo-cap work and a knockout score from James Horner.
  15. Mar 9, 2013
    Truly Avatar was a mastermind. Was. Cameron gives the plot too many things to keep up with, not only that but it gives you an unpleasing run time that will leave you bored till the end. Now for the people who disageree with me and say its an all time epic film your wrong. Watch it again and you'll realize how boring and forgettable the last battle of the movie was. So overall, this was aTruly Avatar was a mastermind. Was. Cameron gives the plot too many things to keep up with, not only that but it gives you an unpleasing run time that will leave you bored till the end. Now for the people who disageree with me and say its an all time epic film your wrong. Watch it again and you'll realize how boring and forgettable the last battle of the movie was. So overall, this was a very exhausting film to watch. Expand
  16. Jun 8, 2014
    When I first saw Avatar in theatres a few years ago I was simply awestruck. It is without a doubt the most visually beautiful film ever made. The world of Pandora is as detailed and alive as any setting you'll ever find in a movie, and quite possibly even more so. The story may have been done many times before, but it's still very engaging. There are moments that are powerfully chargedWhen I first saw Avatar in theatres a few years ago I was simply awestruck. It is without a doubt the most visually beautiful film ever made. The world of Pandora is as detailed and alive as any setting you'll ever find in a movie, and quite possibly even more so. The story may have been done many times before, but it's still very engaging. There are moments that are powerfully charged with emotion, the direction is flawless, and the scope and scale are both breathtaking. There is also an extremely resonant atmosphere throughout. James Cameron has created what is quite possibly his best film. It's an instant classic, full of deeply human and resonant emotion, groundbreaking visuals, and viscerally stunning action. My only real complaint is that the dialogue can be somewhat clunky, but the rest of the movie quickly sends this to the realm of nitpicking. Please choose to watch this instead the next time you even think of checking out one of the lousy Transformers sequels. Expand
  17. Mar 15, 2014
    This is one of the best motion pictures I have ever seen. There were some really lovable and heroic characters, and very interesting ideas. The environments are amazing and the whole thing has allusions to the Indians and Trail of Tears. The ending brought me SO much satisfaction too. Get the Blu-Ray!
  18. Mar 8, 2013
    Avatar is the poster child for 3D cinema yet its other qualities are distinctly one dimensional, apparently 200 million dollars can't buy you a good story. Anyone who watches this is in for a headache-inducing three hours that they will never get back.
  19. Apr 14, 2014
    Simply one of the best films.

Good story
    Nice action
    Perfect for showing in 3D.
    Good screening and scenery

I wanna see the next part :)

Extended version is an must have.
  20. Mar 24, 2013
    James Cameron's thrilling film starring talented actors like Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana and Sigourney Weaver will always remain a favorite to many of its viewers. Special effects were jaw-dropping and unbelievable.
  21. Sep 14, 2015
    This was awesome. Really outstanding. This is Crysis of movies, I will never forget when I watched this for the first time in IMAX, my mind got blown away - I really saw the future of cinema world. Today it might be not so bright as it was in 2010, but five year ago this movie just kicked out!
  22. Sep 8, 2013
    Definitely the best movie i've ever seen in many years!!! Great effects, great acting. great music and everything is PERFECT!!!! I'm into this movie, and i'll never forget!
  23. May 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What an amazing movie and the ability to bring the viewer deeper into the realm of new belief is not comparable. James Cameron was able to strongly voice opinions through the characters and situations presented in Avatar. From the story line all the way down to the visual effects, the movie was spot on for its delivery point.

I don't believe that this movie set out to push its belief and logic on the viewer, but set out to prove a point in society; that is, that our world loses sight of essentials when we are in need of any resource. The beauty and character of Pandora is easily forgotten by the drive to gain substance. We have a long line of character personalities from the general who at any expense will not be stopped in his need for what seems is payback, to the scientist who wishes to gain knowledge from the indigenous peoples.

I think there is a stronger presence in this movie for a world in search of answers, or unwilling to see whats in front of us. In modern world we struggle to see that there is a God, much like on Pandora. The beauty of the creation is hard to enjoy when you see it as a mere object. The creation, just like on earth, was created to prove a maker! Losing sight of this turns us into mere objects for pure progression, nothing less nothing more, but we are caught wondering what is this life for? The answer lays on the lines more deeply of is there more than this life or is this it? Pandora, it seems, attempts to answer this question through its deity. There is a higher power that brings life and beauty but the inability to come to that realization creates what seems is a monster in the characters seeking their riches.

I think the deeper questions are not along the lines of, what was the point of this movie? But, more along the lines of what can we learn from this movie. There is a bold statement made about culture today, do we see that ourselves, or are we blinded by progress much like from the humans in this movie?

I think many dislike this movie because of its bold undertones so we flee or become stand offish. There is a constant critique about controversial movies, but what about sitting back in learning rather than being so critical?
  24. May 27, 2013
    Everything is horrible. This alien, antagonist, helicopters, both protagonist and antagonist's weapons, arrow, spear, robot, giant knife, story. What a waste of money. What's worst is there will be a sequel.
  25. Aug 30, 2013
    Epic. I really liked it!! James Cameron is the best film director ever. The 3D was amazing and the special effects too!! Do not miss it! Simply amazing!!
  26. Jul 16, 2013
    Masterpiece!

I think many many years down the line this film will be looked back on as one of the greatest films of all time, It's already the #1 grossing film of all time so it just goes to show how successful this film really was! Avatar was extremely unique. With a very detailed, emotional and grabbing story combined with some of the best, if not the actual best visual effects
    Masterpiece!

Avatar was extremely unique. With a very detailed, emotional and grabbing story combined with some of the best, if not the actual best visual effects ever come to a cinema screen. I would have to say this is one of the greatest films I have ever seen in my life, and rightly so!

Highly recommended!
  27. Aug 29, 2013
    James did a awesome job making this movie. I saw the trailer, asking my parents badly to let me see it. Luckily they said yes. I walked out of the movies thinking "This is my favourite movie of all time". It still is. I got the blu-ray and never regretted it.
  28. Jul 31, 2013
    This is one of the most amazing movies i´ve ever seen. The special effects are astounding, and i think it is also an artistic masterpiece. The landscape, plants and animals were brilliantly designed, the characters´development in the movie is correctly achieved and the story is interesting. It is a very good movie filled with beauty, majesty and lot of creativity. I highly recommend it.
  29. Nov 1, 2013
    It's so well produced that the visuals and sound of the film will make you feel like you really are on a different world. However, the below-average plot (which is typical, done to death and extremely cheesy) will probably spoil your enjoyment.

Despite all the flaws of its storytelling, Avatar's historical value and unmatchable production stands above everything else, and marks a turning point on the history of cinematography.
  30. Mar 24, 2014
    Avatar is an amazing visual spectacle to look at, and is pretty much the definition of eye candy. But, the movie distracts you with the beautiful scenery while it lacks enough story to fill its own shoes.
  31. Oct 9, 2013
    This movie is the complete in-theater experience. Watching it at home, it still holds up well, but in theaters, especially IMAX, the movie was absolutely stunning. It was an engrossing ride, that uses its atmosphere to draw you into the world and apart of the story.
  32. Jun 7, 2015
    The movie has good visuals and can be entertaining if you don't think too much about the cliche storyline.
    But it's far away from being a masterpiece like some reviewers claim.
  33. Oct 27, 2013
    It's a visual masterpiece, but a narrative disappointment. It immerses you in it's magnificent world, rather than entertaining you with it's story. But, the story isn't bad. It is really decent, actually. It just falls short with it's predictability. However, it's one of those few films that impresses only with the beautiful scenery.
    Avatar, having that cliche story, it only highly
    Avatar, having that cliche story, it only highly impresses with it's immersive world. It's a good treat for your eyes, and it's a decent storyteller. (Final Score: 8.27)
  34. Oct 27, 2014
    a true James Cameron masterpiece with its dazzling visuals and special effects, to its unique telling of a story that we have heard over and over again (save the trees!).
  35. May 13, 2014
    Avatar takes it away with its beautifully well done cinema and sfx, but i kinda agree with the critics the story wasn't strong enough to live up to its magnitude. The part before the ending was kinda stupid because it didn't give much detail on how all the humans on Pandora were dealt with.But i did like how jake Silly got a new functional Avatar body, Permanently. This opens windows forAvatar takes it away with its beautifully well done cinema and sfx, but i kinda agree with the critics the story wasn't strong enough to live up to its magnitude. The part before the ending was kinda stupid because it didn't give much detail on how all the humans on Pandora were dealt with.But i did like how jake Silly got a new functional Avatar body, Permanently. This opens windows for potential sequel and hopefully a more heart gripping story with twist and confusion, because i felt that this one was lacking on those.

Also this movie felt more on the scifi side than the fantasy wich made incredibly boring and generic

Nevertheless , amazing movie, Cant wait for that long awaited sequel
  36. Jan 26, 2014
    This film is simply amazing! The amazing visuals and a gripping, emotional story makes this one of my favorite films. James Cameron definetly knows what he is doing, there is just so much detail packed into the world of Pandora. There was clearly a lot of effort put into this project.
  37. Nov 11, 2014
    This is my favorite sci-fi movie of all time. Fantastic visuals, fantastic characters, and fantastic dialogue. It's amazing how those three things are interwoven to create a simply amazing movie. It's really a world you can get lost in.

The only legitimate criticism I can agree with for this movie is the over-arching plot. Man evil, wants to exploit natural resources for reasons of greed and will destroy anything and everything in its way. Natives good, in tune with the natural state of things, being pressed by evil. Man sees error of his ways, switches sides and repels that evil. It's been done before...but never this good!

Anyone giving this movie below a "5" is either butt hurt about the themes of the movie, or simply didn't watch the same movie I did. This is one of only a few movies I'd ever consider giving a "10". I honestly would have given it a 9.5 if I could, with the only criticism being the plot isn't exactly original.
  38. Dec 17, 2014
    It may sport more visual than substance, but "Avatar" -- thanks to James Cameron's directing -- is still a satisfying 3D movie despite its formidable length.
  39. Apr 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. “Avatar” is one of the greatest movies to ever hit the big screen, and this is seen on the box office hits. At almost $3 billion, “Avatar” is the number one grossing film of all time. The film used an excellent plot, infused with action, romance, and drama, all while hitting home a true message. The message that the movie delivered can touch anyone that is able to view the 3 hour-long eye candy. The movie budget approached $300 million, adding a quality never before seen in cinema. This movie was a cinematic breakthrough, intertwining computer graphics with live acting, creating names for unknown actors, and leading critics to rave over the top film of all time.

The movie is based in the year 2154, on the distant moon of Pandora. Humans have ran out of a special mineral on the Earth, called “unobtanium,” so the humans travelled millions of light years, to this moon in the Alpha Centauri star system, to harvest this precious mineral. This moon is very Earth-like, with dense, green forests, a water-like substance, and many animals and creatures. A major difference from Earth is that the atmosphere is poisonous to humans. The moon is inhabited by the Na’vi: ten foot tall, slender, blue-skinned creatures, that somewhat resemble humans. In order for humans to harvest this mineral they search for, they have created human-Na’vi hybrid creatures, which can dwell among the rest of the population. These “avatars” initiate contact with the Na’vi people, and adapt to their culture and way of life.

The main character in the movie is a paraplegic war veteran, named Jake Sully. He takes pleasure in using an avatar, because he is able to walk when using it. During his “avatar” adventures, he meets Neytiri, a beautiful, talented Na’vi. Jake and Neytiri begin a relationship, and over the course of this relationship, Jake develops a bond with the people of the planet, and sees that what the human race is planning to do to them is wrong. He begins to fight the humans in his avatar body, and the humans eventually find out and take action. They prohibit Sully from using the avatar but he still manages to get through and get back to the Na’vi. The movie ends with a tantalizing battle between the humans and the Na’vi, in which the humans eventually fall and send the humans back to their dying planet Earth, with the exception of Jake and a few of the other scientists that teamed with the Na’vi to send the humans out. The humans that do stay behind are permanently transferred over to their avatar bodies, so that they can live with the Na’vi. The transfer occurs with the help of the goddess of Pandora, “Eywa.”

From the get-go, Avatar draws in the viewer, using Jake Sully as bait. He is a relatable character, but he also catches the attention of the audience because of his disability. His character is one of the main utensils that bring the whole conflict to fruition in the end. The computer graphics create an incredible sense of realism, as if Pandora and the Na’vi are really out there amongst the galaxies and stars. Jake’s relationship with Neytiri really brings out a warm, romantic side of the movie, away from all of the drama and adventure. Their journeys through the dense forests, encounters with wildlife, and her care for teaching him the Na’vi ways shows a serious relationship is forming. There’s even a love scene between the two thrown in, pasted among the glowing lights of the alien trees. During their countless adventures, they encounter many obstacles, as he tries to become one with the wildlife of the planet. Along with this romance, is the background debacle unfolding with the humans, planning to destroy the Na’vi “Home Tree.” Of course, the largest collection of this mineral the humans came for, is the lifeline of the Na’vi habitat. The resulting battle over this mineral has to be one of the most breathtaking, touching, emotional, action-packed, thrilling scenes I have seen. And the whole scene is conducted using computer graphics. You will leave the theater amazed.

This movie broke the barrier, and showed that CGI, or computer graphics interfaced, can be used as an art, and not to just create fake and corny low budget films. The film used new, young actors to attract a larger audience and paved the way for the beginnings of their careers. The movie was a breakthrough and proved that James Cameron still knew how to work the big screen and attract the masses to theaters. Thousands of critics rave over this movie, giving it five stars across the board, and
    “Avatar” has cemented itself as a movie for the ages. And the burning question that is etched in minds across the worlds is, when is the sequel?
  40. May 1, 2015
    There's no way to deny the fact that Avatar is a true masterpiece when you've just came out of the cinema. The story is full of heart-breaking moments, and the CGI is way above reality. But the most important thing is that, Avatar is the best film you've ever seen!
  41. Dec 7, 2014
    While the story is not original in the slightest bit, it was executed very well and the effects were beautiful. The acting wasn't particularly good except for Sigourney Weaver (but she's always good), and the dialog wasn't particularly memorable either, but the action is more than enough to keep you interested. I also highly recommend you get the 3D edition, as this is the only film I'veWhile the story is not original in the slightest bit, it was executed very well and the effects were beautiful. The acting wasn't particularly good except for Sigourney Weaver (but she's always good), and the dialog wasn't particularly memorable either, but the action is more than enough to keep you interested. I also highly recommend you get the 3D edition, as this is the only film I've ever seen that actually looks better in 3D. In the end, I honestly can't understand all the hate it gets. It may not be original but it is executed well and it has great action and effects. I'm not usually one to jump on a bandwagon with directors and studios, but I may have to make an exception with James Cameron. I have yet to see a Cameron film that I didn't like.

8.0/10
  42. Oct 18, 2014
    Jake Sully is a former Marine confined to a wheelchair. But despite his broken body, Jake is still a warrior at heart. He is recruited to travel light years to the human outpost on Pandora, where a corporate consortium is mining a rare mineral that is the key to solving Earth's energy crisis. Because Pandora's atmosphere is toxic, they have created the Avatar Program, in which humanJake Sully is a former Marine confined to a wheelchair. But despite his broken body, Jake is still a warrior at heart. He is recruited to travel light years to the human outpost on Pandora, where a corporate consortium is mining a rare mineral that is the key to solving Earth's energy crisis. Because Pandora's atmosphere is toxic, they have created the Avatar Program, in which human "drivers" have their consciousness linked to an avatar, a remotely-controlled biological body that can survive in the lethal air. These avatars are genetically engineered hybrids of human DNA mixed with DNA from the natives of Pandora... the Na'vi. Reborn in his avatar form, Jake can walk again. He is given a mission to infiltrate the Na'vi, who have become a major obstacle to mining the precious ore. But a beautiful Na'vi female, Neytiri, saves Jake's life, and this changes everything. Jake is taken in by her clan, and learns to become one of them, which involves many tests and adventures. As Jake's relationship with his reluctant teacher Neytiri deepens, he learns to respect the Na'vi way and finally takes his place among them. Soon he will face the ultimate test as he leads them in an epic battle that will decide the fate of an entire world. Expand
  43. Mar 10, 2015
    I like Avatar, because it boasts stunning visuals, and invites the audience to an unbelievable world that looks great. That being said the plot is anything but original, you can compare the plot to Ferngully, Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas, and many other films, on top of that the characters are plucked out of those films to, so while it's visually stunning, Avatar is in my opinion not aI like Avatar, because it boasts stunning visuals, and invites the audience to an unbelievable world that looks great. That being said the plot is anything but original, you can compare the plot to Ferngully, Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas, and many other films, on top of that the characters are plucked out of those films to, so while it's visually stunning, Avatar is in my opinion not a great film, but still a good film. Expand
  44. Mar 9, 2015
    The visuals are very impressive and the story is well thought out. Although, as you watch it more and more, you realize that isn't as spectacular as everyone says it is.
  45. Mar 11, 2015
    James Cameron makes a triumphant return to the box office with Avatar. Avatar is the highest-grossing film of all time and it's not a surprise. The film is a futuristic western that showcases the best CGI, cinematography, and action that Hollywood has to offer. Although the story is pretty predictable and borrows many elements from other movies such as Pocahontas, it still manages to keepJames Cameron makes a triumphant return to the box office with Avatar. Avatar is the highest-grossing film of all time and it's not a surprise. The film is a futuristic western that showcases the best CGI, cinematography, and action that Hollywood has to offer. Although the story is pretty predictable and borrows many elements from other movies such as Pocahontas, it still manages to keep the audience engrossed in Avatar's spectacular universe. The superlative visuals in this film are absolutely breathtaking. The beautiful creature designs, environments, and action sequences take CGI to an entirely new level. Cameron has created a wonderful universe to expand upon in future sequels. Although Avatar is not perfect, it is definitely the best eye candy ever made. Expand
  46. Jul 19, 2015
    the environbment is realy important and peopl do note understand e that it needs protect. this movie says thaew environment is protec4t and i respect it for that so it make god movies. james ceeameron is myf ather figurte anded sad... like this moviesz. i like how rhias movie connects to teinetanic.... cuz leonardoo decaprio was in the end in the blue trwwe, and i creid becus i thought hethe environbment is realy important and peopl do note understand e that it needs protect. this movie says thaew environment is protec4t and i respect it for that so it make god movies. james ceeameron is myf ather figurte anded sad... like this moviesz. i like how rhias movie connects to teinetanic.... cuz leonardoo decaprio was in the end in the blue trwwe, and i creid becus i thought he ded... it remindedfrg me of mi childho9ed becaused whey i was yung i wa blue and ded. good job caemerin you make made kate whihslets cry in this movie right????? i give 10 Expand
  47. Apr 19, 2015
    When his twin brother is killed, disabled ex-Marine Jake Sully is recruited to aid a mining expedition on the distant jungle moon of Pandora as only his DNA will bond with the alien hybrid body, known as an Avatar, that allows humans to breathe the toxic air. With orders to infiltrate the Na’vi, Jake finds himself falling in love with native girl, Neytiri, and complications soon ensue…When his twin brother is killed, disabled ex-Marine Jake Sully is recruited to aid a mining expedition on the distant jungle moon of Pandora as only his DNA will bond with the alien hybrid body, known as an Avatar, that allows humans to breathe the toxic air. With orders to infiltrate the Na’vi, Jake finds himself falling in love with native girl, Neytiri, and complications soon ensue…

Cameron seamlessly melds live action, computer-generated animation and 3-D technology. The motion-capture technique that dazzled in Lord of the Rings reaches a new level of proficiency, enabling more nuance in facial expressions.

But for much of the movie, that hardly matters. The scenes in Pandora — a planet with an Earth-like environment — are so breathtaking that the narrative seems almost beside the point.

An epic battle to drive the Na'vi from their land tests Jake's allegiance. At nearly three hours, the movie grows sluggish, especially during the protracted battle scene.

Overrated but enjoyable.
  48. May 25, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There's a reason this movie made so much money. It's not just the incredible CGI but also the imaginitive world that drew so many people in. The base story is pretty basic: the humans want something and will take it from the alliens by force unless Jake Sully can convince the aliens to hand it over. It evolves into a tale of learning their customs, bonding with them, and eventually siding with them (them being the aliens). I can't say it's "platiinum status" but I've watched it at least four times and I still enjoy it (and again, the plot is not garbage). Expand
  49. May 30, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Earth is overcrowded and certainly not a place I would choose to live in, but Avatar has a solution. Or perhaps a way to make money. Avatar is the highest-grossing film of all time and I can certainly see why. It had aspects that appeal to a lot of people with the mix of animation and live-action and the themes present throughout that definitely sparked conversation within. Jake Sully is a paralyzed marine that is easily set up as a hero from the start, and this story is about him and his (and human's effect on Pandora.

This mission is all a quest for wealth, and Jake knows this when he signs on. What he doesn't know is that he's gonna fall in love with the culture, the land, and the people. His journey would have never even happened without his love interest Neytiri's help. "Don't thank. You don't thank for this. This is sad only." The Na'vi people remind me of a human group or tribe that is being attacked as well, so I can certainly see the inspiration behind this movie, yet so many audience members probably do not agree with the standpoints shown, so it surprises me that it was such a hit. I am behind the messages shown though, so this kind of exposure has to be beneficial.

The plot overall seemed to be very predictable and a tad cliché, but it also made up for it in the striking visual effects and unique peoples portrayed. I imagine this would have been breathtaking in 3D with all of the sweeping landscapes and scenery. Jake's mission on Pandora was always to help the corporation trying to destroy the environment on this world, but eventually he finds himself to end up liking the Na'vi's world more, and who wouldn't? Their culture and environment is amazing and something that Earth has lost. I think the "rebels" see that and want to preserve this world from what happened to theirs. Jake's personal mission seems to have changed, but his employer's has not. He can't change their mind on an invasion, so he must do whatever he can to protect them on his own.

"I was a warrior who dreamed he would bring peace. Sooner or later though, you always have to wake up." Despite the fact that Jake feels like he belongs on Pandora, his body says otherwise and continues to prove himself through the battle. It's an uphill fight, but the Na'vi people prevail with a truly inspiring anti-war message that could resonate with all people. "Hey Sully, how's it feel to betray your own race?" And that's exactly what he does. In this horrible portrayal of some humans, Jake's decision to become a true Na'vi completely makes sense and successfully brings together this war-ridden story.
  50. Jul 4, 2015
    In my opinion, Avatar is the most visually striking movie ever made, no thanks to it's James Cameron, if you remember he was the director of Terminator 2: Judgement Day which was also and amazing movie. Avatar is so realistic you could mistaken it to be 100% real. The story is the heart of this film as it drags you into the world of the planet Pandora which is inhabited by humanoids calledIn my opinion, Avatar is the most visually striking movie ever made, no thanks to it's James Cameron, if you remember he was the director of Terminator 2: Judgement Day which was also and amazing movie. Avatar is so realistic you could mistaken it to be 100% real. The story is the heart of this film as it drags you into the world of the planet Pandora which is inhabited by humanoids called the Na'vi. The actors and actresses are unbelievably amazing all of their performances, like Sam Worthington who plays Jake Sully, the wheelchair bound veteran who is given the job to control his dead twin brother's Avatar so he can convince a Na'vi clan to move away from the part of the jungle that they are in because the way of the RDA's path of the search of the rare metal Unobtainium that lies in the soil of the planet. Then we have Na'vi woman named Neytiri who is the clan leader's daughter, she was forced to train Sully to become one of them, which eventually makes them fall into love. Everybody else gave an A+ performance which was amazing. It will be a very very long time before we see another so incredible like Avatar and a while before another breaks it's massive box office record as the top grossing film all time with earning of $2.7 Billion. Expand
  51. Aug 1, 2015
    We can say that this movie is incredible therefore raised 2.7 billion do not expect to create an award-winning movie , James Cameron great job as well as in Titanic and Terminator is now attacking once more with Avatar .
  52. Jan 12, 2016
    It's only a matter of time before this movie gets beaten by Star Wars: The Force Awakens at the box office worldwide after all the work this movie did to beat Titanic's record. I don't really understand all the hate for this movie. I thought it was fine.
  53. criticsRmad
    Jan 8, 2010
    The visuals were stunning and the movie was enjoyable. Story had every cliche you can throw in a movie. Could easily name it Dances with Aliens, but hey, sometimes you can still enjoy a cliched story. I recommend seeing it at the theater in 3D and don't expect much from the story.
  54. ChrisN
    Jan 9, 2010
    Incredible movie filled with dazzling effects. The story is amazing, but is dragged on by a bland love story between the main character and a Navi. Also the movie seems to drag on towards the middle hour. Overall it's worth the 2 hours and 30min of time I invested in it.
  55. NeoM
    Apr 2, 2010
    A visual treat. Pandora draws you in and takes your breath away at some moments. But a cliche and rather predictable plot, and some bad lines, leave it wanting.
  56. vinnieg
    Jan 1, 2010
    Its Dances with Wolves plus CGI. Incredible CGI, but CGI nontheless. The story was a joke, predictable with childish dialogue. No one can doubt that the effects are wonderful, but we dont go to the movies to see special effects, we go to be told a story. This movie is a spectacle, not a story.)
  57. Capt.Shiner
    Jan 14, 2010
    Of all the great things this movie does visually and the expense incurred from it, I cannot believe the dialogue and story were not in the budget. There is no charecter that retains any sympathy at the end of the movie. The Na'vi could have been deaf and dumb and the story would have moved along at the exact same pace. The dialogue continually detracted from the Pandora "experience". Of all the great things this movie does visually and the expense incurred from it, I cannot believe the dialogue and story were not in the budget. There is no charecter that retains any sympathy at the end of the movie. The Na'vi could have been deaf and dumb and the story would have moved along at the exact same pace. The dialogue continually detracted from the Pandora "experience". And the story was so tired and cliched, they must have been watching The Wizard of Oz, Dances WIth Wolves and some generic war movie simultaniously while banging on their keyboards like monkeys. I wish big-budget movies didn't have assume that everyone has a fifth grade education to gather the largest audience as possible. Expand
  58. GC
    Jan 2, 2010
    Avatar is visually stunning. For that I give it a 10. Avatar is also painfully unoriginal with the hackneyed themes of corporate greed and an evil military. For that I give it a (-9). It is little more than a sci fi version of Dances With Wolves. James Cameron spent $300M telling the same story Kevin Costner has already told, but Costner's version was much better and most certainly Avatar is visually stunning. For that I give it a 10. Avatar is also painfully unoriginal with the hackneyed themes of corporate greed and an evil military. For that I give it a (-9). It is little more than a sci fi version of Dances With Wolves. James Cameron spent $300M telling the same story Kevin Costner has already told, but Costner's version was much better and most certainly less expensive to make. You'd think for $300M Cameron could have bought an original story. I guess $300M don't buy what it used to buy. Expand
  59. AndreaK
    Jan 2, 2010
    Liked the animation. Didn't like the story. Yes, natives need white americans to save them from other white americans. It's inconceivable that natives could come up with some strategy to save themselves. Is it because white americans are the superior race? Well, that must be it. Learning to be a warrior took the natives years of training...white american took 3 months. Whatever. Liked the animation. Didn't like the story. Yes, natives need white americans to save them from other white americans. It's inconceivable that natives could come up with some strategy to save themselves. Is it because white americans are the superior race? Well, that must be it. Learning to be a warrior took the natives years of training...white american took 3 months. Whatever. And we all know the real end of this story. History has taught us again and again ...white americans return with bigger guns and kill/capture everbody. Expand
  60. BFG
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fantastic movie. If the ideas seem simple, it is because they are. If the acting seems bad, its because it is supposed to be black and white. The message is as important as the movie to the person that wrote it. Dances with wolves was a good movie. So is this.
  61. JohnF.
    Jan 6, 2010
    Much of what you will see in Avatar is not new, so don't expect it to reinvent the wheel outside of the visual effects department. Plus underneath it all, the movie is more or less a vehicle for James Cameron's political views, which you might not care for much if you lean towards the conservative side of the spectrum. However, Avatar gets the most basic thing that a movie Much of what you will see in Avatar is not new, so don't expect it to reinvent the wheel outside of the visual effects department. Plus underneath it all, the movie is more or less a vehicle for James Cameron's political views, which you might not care for much if you lean towards the conservative side of the spectrum. However, Avatar gets the most basic thing that a movie should do right on the money -- it is entertaining. For that reason, it succeeds and should be given a look. Expand
  62. MarcusG.
    Jan 6, 2010
    An amazing movie from beginning to end. Yes, the writing was a little predictable and the story has been borrowed from several films, but that does not mean it is not excellent. I entirely expected it to drag at times but was pleasently surprised; I did not look at my watch once in the three hours. I find that this film fully engaged all of my senses and when it was over I wanted more. An amazing movie from beginning to end. Yes, the writing was a little predictable and the story has been borrowed from several films, but that does not mean it is not excellent. I entirely expected it to drag at times but was pleasently surprised; I did not look at my watch once in the three hours. I find that this film fully engaged all of my senses and when it was over I wanted more. Don't expect highly intellectual writing, don't try to be critical, just sit and be told a good story and I think you will find that you will also be pleasently surprised. Expand
  63. LyC.
    Jan 7, 2010
    Great visual and sound effects. Good story. Some of you say it's cliche. I don't think so. You think we should stop talking about war and environment issues? And if you want some completely original movies and technology advances in film-making can be ignored, go find some indie, low-budget movies instead of Avatar.
  64. KenG
    Jan 7, 2010
    If all you care about is special effects, and the visual look of a film, you'll probably love this.The movie is superb with these things. But if like me, you also care about plot, script, and characters, you might well be disappointed with this movie, as very little effort went into these things. To give this movie a high grade, would be rewarding James Cameron for being lazy in a If all you care about is special effects, and the visual look of a film, you'll probably love this.The movie is superb with these things. But if like me, you also care about plot, script, and characters, you might well be disappointed with this movie, as very little effort went into these things. To give this movie a high grade, would be rewarding James Cameron for being lazy in a lot of ways. Expand
  65. JoeM
    Jan 9, 2010
    Beautiful visuals, some good advances in CGI are shown in this flick. But that is about it. It is a 3 hour tech demo. The story is predictable and most of the characters are flat with the exception of the lead as you would expect. This is Fern Gully almost scene for scene but stretched out. It's nice to see state of the art however I am a little tired of how easily people ignore all Beautiful visuals, some good advances in CGI are shown in this flick. But that is about it. It is a 3 hour tech demo. The story is predictable and most of the characters are flat with the exception of the lead as you would expect. This is Fern Gully almost scene for scene but stretched out. It's nice to see state of the art however I am a little tired of how easily people ignore all other aspects of the film as long as it is pretty enough. I look forward to when these new techniques become more affordable so that we can have the technology along with some more in-depth writing/direction. Expand
  66. Piotr
    Feb 1, 2010
    There two aspects to think of regarding Avatar: 1. Picture- amazing, milestone, no words to fully acknowledge this! 2. Story/Message- shallow, dull, target group- 10 to 15 years. One clearly catches 2days political situation dressed up in sci-fi clothing, but again it almost hits you right between eyes, so someone considered general public not to be smart. Worth watching, not worth There two aspects to think of regarding Avatar: 1. Picture- amazing, milestone, no words to fully acknowledge this! 2. Story/Message- shallow, dull, target group- 10 to 15 years. One clearly catches 2days political situation dressed up in sci-fi clothing, but again it almost hits you right between eyes, so someone considered general public not to be smart. Worth watching, not worth thinking about. Expand
  67. NicholasF.
    Feb 1, 2010
    Wow! It's fantastic! The story isn't very original but it's always beautiful.
  68. Kayde
    Feb 18, 2010
    In the love of all that is holy, why does this movie have a score of 88? Yes, it is a visual spectacle, and yes, the technological innovations it employs are nothing short of fantastical, but this is A BAD MOVIE. The story is generic and clunky, in addition to the structure of the script being PAINFULLY obvious as one watches the movie. The characters are flat, and the political overtones In the love of all that is holy, why does this movie have a score of 88? Yes, it is a visual spectacle, and yes, the technological innovations it employs are nothing short of fantastical, but this is A BAD MOVIE. The story is generic and clunky, in addition to the structure of the script being PAINFULLY obvious as one watches the movie. The characters are flat, and the political overtones are a little overdone. It is a visual dazzlement wrapped around an empty shell, and does not deserve to win a Best Picture Oscar. Star Wars was a technological marvel, and it was hugely entertaining, but did it deserve the highest honor possible to bestow upon a film?? No. Neither does Avatar. Expand
  69. HeywoodJ
    Feb 20, 2010
    First of all, I can't imagine watching Avatar in anything but 3-D IMAX, I would assume that many of the negative takeaways described here are a result of watching it in 2D. Forget characterizations, plot rip-offs, or incredibly inane dialogue for a second; from a simple visual perspective this is a truly extraordinary accomplishment and a feast for the eyes and the imagination. From First of all, I can't imagine watching Avatar in anything but 3-D IMAX, I would assume that many of the negative takeaways described here are a result of watching it in 2D. Forget characterizations, plot rip-offs, or incredibly inane dialogue for a second; from a simple visual perspective this is a truly extraordinary accomplishment and a feast for the eyes and the imagination. From the images of the med tech floating in amongst the freshly awakening pod-soldiers to the multi-nostril snorting of the banshees to the luminescence landscapes of the Pandora forests this is well worth the trip to lose yourself and take in the incredible creations. This is truly a testament to Cameron's maniacal attention to detail and bombastic tree-hugging visions. However, I did say wait a second for the characterizations, plot rip-offs and incredibly inane dialogue. Given the time and the cost of this movie, can you imagine how much better it would have been had there been a marginally equivocal investment in script -writing and casting? As much as I was blown away by the imagery I was equally blown away by the wasted opportunity to develop the Na Expand
  70. KateS.
    Feb 3, 2010
    This is the most overrated film from the decade a mediocre movie with poor history (copy of Mayas) with a Pocahontas romance and copy robots from Terminator and Full Metal Panic, really crap movie a stupid things to make money, congrats Mr Cameron, all the world turn stupid with this sh*tty movie.
  71. MichaelT.
    Feb 4, 2010
    Criticize its sterile story or its poor acting if you will, but you will love Avatar, and you will get so sucked in to its pull. James Cameron isn't particularly original in how he gets it across; that's because it's a tried and tested formula that works extremely well. There's no doubt that you'll be completely immersed in the lusciousness of the life JC has made.
  72. CharlesK
    Feb 6, 2010
    Had Cameron shot in the Amazon in 3D it would have been just as stunning. Had he written a script that made any sense and didn't have holes to drive trucks through it might have been vaguely memorable, had he seized the opportunity and created a truly alien world instead of Earth with 6 legged horses etc etc and 8 foot lean humans with tails it might have soared but the absurdity of Had Cameron shot in the Amazon in 3D it would have been just as stunning. Had he written a script that made any sense and didn't have holes to drive trucks through it might have been vaguely memorable, had he seized the opportunity and created a truly alien world instead of Earth with 6 legged horses etc etc and 8 foot lean humans with tails it might have soared but the absurdity of all good/all evil, idiot American administrators but sage scientists (not very) and a military using 17th Century techniques just killed it. Too long by 40 mins, too twee by half. Nice 3D. Expand
  73. JoeP
    Feb 7, 2010
    I wouldn't give it the Oscar, but it's clear that this is a new threshold in the movie creation and viewing experience. More than any movie I've seen, this is worth experiencing in 3-D, in a theatre.
  74. ConnorC
    Feb 8, 2010
    This movie is boring as hell and basically an expensive mix of pocahontas,aliens,and a few others.Looks good but that does not make a good movie.
  75. NoeC
    Mar 10, 2010
    It is a mediocre movie at best. I got bored and couldn't believe any of the characters. Frankly, the special effects weren't all that much.
  76. J.SS.
    Mar 20, 2010
    The movie had a unique storyline but the characters are the same! Everyone has seen the tough army guy and the hot tough pilot chick. The 3-d was a little disappointing. I enjoyed watching it none the less.
  77. EladioM
    Mar 6, 2010
    This movie is Dineye's Pocahontas on steroids, nothing more. Excelent FX? Hell, yes! But the plot is weak and the story is full of obvius cliches -- most of them came (no surprise) from the above mentioned "source", Pocahontas.
  78. ArielY
    Apr 13, 2010
    This movie had nice animation, but what a waste: the story line felt used. It reminded me of Pocahontas or Fern Gully or something. Also, the characters didn't have enough depth to them.
  79. DonnieB
    Apr 3, 2010
    First, I must say these graphics where groundbreaking and the best I've seen in many years. However, that is the only good thing I can say about this movie. The acting was atrocious, the storyline was neither original or interesting, and the movie just kept going. I did not care about the giant lemers (Navi) at all. The war was unrealistic. It was just a drag that I hated going along with.
  80. AaronJ
    Apr 4, 2010
    I did not enjoy this that much... I went into this expecting an overated, overadvertised crap fest. It was overrated and it was overadvertised and it did look amazing. But i get enjoyment of a good story libe as well. There was more original plot in an episode of Teletubbies than this. It was way too long, way to gimiky, with an overused and cheesy "save the rainforest" interspieces love crap.
  81. SiH
    Apr 6, 2010
    Would you go see a play that had a great set but poor plot, character development, use of language and/or acting? If you would then you'll love Avatar.
  82. BertrandG.
    Dec 20, 2009
    Pocahontas in 3D.
  83. MaxL.
    Dec 20, 2009
    Spectacular with emphasize on the spectacles. The visual effects and some of the shots are amazing. The story and dialogues, however, are simple minded with cartoonish characters, making the long runtime unbearable. See it in the big screen but don't expect too much.
  84. MM
    Dec 30, 2009
    Overrated. Seriously now, anyone who's read a few books can tell clearly that the storytelling was cheesy and cliche: I literally guessed the entire scope of the plot with all the main "twists" after watching the first 20 minutes of the film. The dialogue was boring and uninventive, sticking straight to the formula. The effects were decent, but I found the 3D to be kind of weak and I Overrated. Seriously now, anyone who's read a few books can tell clearly that the storytelling was cheesy and cliche: I literally guessed the entire scope of the plot with all the main "twists" after watching the first 20 minutes of the film. The dialogue was boring and uninventive, sticking straight to the formula. The effects were decent, but I found the 3D to be kind of weak and I think Cameron should have stuck to normal film. It's not a terrible movie, but don't expect to get your heart wrenched out by the story or be shocked by the conclusion - it's exactly what you expect. Expand
  85. NachoC.
    Dec 30, 2009
    Visually, the film is stunning, the special effects are out of this world, but unlike other Cameron films, this film lacks development or originality. Basically it was a. Pocahontas music and b. it is Dances with Wolves with blue aliens with it. It was just not what I expected and not in a good way.
  86. DebbieS
    Jan 1, 2010
    Extraordinary entertainment value, unbelievable graphics and action !!!
  87. HarryP.N.
    Jan 10, 2010
    I saw this in 3D earlier today. I do not understand what all the hype is about....and definitely is overrated. The 3 is a result of the amazingly breathtaking computer generation and animation. The 3d was not very well utilized...most of the time it did not seem like it was in 3d, and could be watched without glasses. Only one part really seemed like 3d, when the sully cripple guy threw I saw this in 3D earlier today. I do not understand what all the hype is about....and definitely is overrated. The 3 is a result of the amazingly breathtaking computer generation and animation. The 3d was not very well utilized...most of the time it did not seem like it was in 3d, and could be watched without glasses. Only one part really seemed like 3d, when the sully cripple guy threw the grenade in the aircraft engine, and it bounced by your face. This was the second longest movie i've ever been to, and the most drawn out. the first 2 hours are soooooo boring i almost fell asleep, if it were not for the bright flashy bioluminescence of the plants i probably would have. These first hours were like watching the animal planet or discovery channel, just sit back and look at a bunch of plants. however, every once and a while, there is a cool plant that catches your attention. the cat na'vi people are very strange, and distracted from the movie. everything else was so different and fairy tale like, then they use blue human people with tails, and cat ears. so unoriginal!!!! there are tons of blue alien races. onto the plot: reminded me of one of those movies on the sci fi channel, your macho army commander gone mad with power, an unethical greedy ceo behind it all, nerdy scientists that try to stop army guy and a marine that wants to save the day. the dialogue was horrendous, i could predict every word that was going to come out of their mouthes...and the dry humor was terrible, the retarded kid in the theater that laughed at the jokes and come-backs did not help either. the plot can be guessed when sully teams up with army commander guy (see how bad this is? i saw the movie today and dont even know their names...) to gather info on the cat people. i will not reveal any spoilers, but the plot was very stereotypical. the last 30 minutes, the epic battle scene, was the best part and saving grace of the movie. i dont think the 2 hours of plants was worth 30 mins of action though. in conclusion this review was not meant to discourage you from seeing it, by all means go see it for the animation and try to help james cameron make some of his investment back, but buy a large tub of popcorn and drink, you will need it and may find it more interesting than the movie. Expand
  88. KenO
    Jan 1, 2010
    First of all I agree with many of you in saying the film is beautiful. I even mentioned to my wife that it was like watching a moving work of art. However, while sitting through this 2 plus hour epic one thing was bothering me. I've seen this story before. Instantly I was flashed back to the plot of Kevin Costner's Acadamy Award Winning film "Dances with Wolves". Suddenly the First of all I agree with many of you in saying the film is beautiful. I even mentioned to my wife that it was like watching a moving work of art. However, while sitting through this 2 plus hour epic one thing was bothering me. I've seen this story before. Instantly I was flashed back to the plot of Kevin Costner's Acadamy Award Winning film "Dances with Wolves". Suddenly the comparisons came flying back and it was staggering! Maybe it's been too long since anyone had seen "Dances" or maybe many of you weren't even born when that film was released but believe me somewhere Kevin Costner is mad. Expand
  89. LeahR
    Jan 1, 2010
    This movie gets a 1 just because it inspired Sam R.'s review.
  90. EamonnS
    Jan 13, 2010
    The the name of the mineral is rather cheesy and the story obvious (from anyone who knows American or African history), albiet with a different ending, the scenery and visual effects are utterly stunning. They are, by far, the best effects I have ever seen. Cameron and the CGI wizards make the characters look as if they are just wearing make-up, very, very good make-up.
  91. gunnarf
    Jan 13, 2010
    This movie sucks so much balls its not even funny. I can't really see anything good about it aside from the visuals. It just proves that most people who vote on this website are f***ing retarded.
  92. AdamR.
    Jan 1, 2010
    Incredible experience. Must be seen in a theatre to appreciate.
  93. JohnA
    Jan 14, 2010
    Avatar is basically an overly long, expensive B-movie. The plot is not just simplistic and cliche, but lazy even... apparently audiences won't realize it's mean to bomb the holy tree unless a "daisy cutter" is involved. The movie is littered with cheap references like that, presumably to curry favor with left-wing critics who otherwise would admit the story is awful. So far as Avatar is basically an overly long, expensive B-movie. The plot is not just simplistic and cliche, but lazy even... apparently audiences won't realize it's mean to bomb the holy tree unless a "daisy cutter" is involved. The movie is littered with cheap references like that, presumably to curry favor with left-wing critics who otherwise would admit the story is awful. So far as the special effects: it really should not enhance the rating in my view because they are only impressive in comparison to today's standards. In 10 years, Avatar won't look like anything special, and the movie will gradually fade into obscurity. Expand
  94. PabloS.
    Jan 14, 2010
    This hurts. Not ever did I want to say anything negative about a James Cameron film, but that's where this is going. I want to start off by saying that I did not find the effects as everyone else, maybe it's because CGI with detail and human emotion isn't such a big deal anymore. I mean we all knew it was heading this way, but this is not CGI without humans, this was mo-cap This hurts. Not ever did I want to say anything negative about a James Cameron film, but that's where this is going. I want to start off by saying that I did not find the effects as everyone else, maybe it's because CGI with detail and human emotion isn't such a big deal anymore. I mean we all knew it was heading this way, but this is not CGI without humans, this was mo-cap and its obvious and it should be mo-cap to achieve the Uncanny Valley. All in all we all play video games now and this was not that impressive in a world filled with CGI. Enough about the effects however, the 3D was very well done in the use of depth and being tolerable for two and a half hours, although nothing mind blowing like debris flying at you. Movie theaters still have not achieved the theme park 3D that everyone really wants to see. Now this is where the biggest knock comes and I realize that people are suckers for a good love story, but do you remember Fern Gully? Yup the animated Fox film in the '90's about the rainforrest and fairies, now imagine the fairies being 12 foot blue Native Americans and Sam Worthington is the shrunken guy that realizes that teraing doen the rainforrest is bad. Hmm....ok lets take that story and add millions more dollars to it and make it a sci-fi opus (which it isn't) and tell everyone that they've never seen anything like this. I have and I want my money back. Expand
  95. W.Parish
    Jan 15, 2010
    cool images. the movie itself boring in most parts, long and tedious. Lots of social and environmental messages. Did not care for the characters as much as I wanted to.
  96. felipem.
    Jan 1, 2010
    A nivel visual bastante buena,el resto muy irregular.es como pocahontas en el futuro!.muy predecible.guion con ideas y estereotipos muy trillados.
  97. anonymous
    Jan 17, 2010
    Once you accept that the storyline of this movie isn't original you can appreciate the fact that it is one of the most entertaining movies of all, it just sucks you in. I don't care that it's the same story as "Pocahontas" or "Dances With Wolves" It was just really really fun to watch.
  98. BillyO.
    Jan 1, 2010
    If you've ever played Crysis for PC, you'll understand exactly what I'm getting at. The story of Avatar itself isn't all that much to jump up and down about. The film is, however, the prettiest thing you've ever seen in a movie theater. I saw the 3D version of this film, and I can say it's worth it for the 3D version. Too many 3D films destroy their If you've ever played Crysis for PC, you'll understand exactly what I'm getting at. The story of Avatar itself isn't all that much to jump up and down about. The film is, however, the prettiest thing you've ever seen in a movie theater. I saw the 3D version of this film, and I can say it's worth it for the 3D version. Too many 3D films destroy their believability by making things "jump" out of the screen at you -- "WOW it's 3D!". This film does not do that. 3D is used as a tool to make the action more real -- not less. Expect incredible visuals -- but don't expect much on story from Avatar. Expand
  99. DonaldC.
    Jan 18, 2010
    Fantastic special effects. Strong, yet contrived story line - closely parallels modern and historical events. Watched it two days in a row - 3D was spectacular.
  100. ml
    Jan 10, 2010
    Watching the media genuflect is really frustrating. I'm a member of the digital generation and this stuff doesn't impress me anymore. You forget about the 3D fifteen minutes in, and there are many movies that put their CGI to better purposes without a $300 price tag or killing the suspension of disbelief. Without the pretty graphics we are left with a predictable, cliched plot, Watching the media genuflect is really frustrating. I'm a member of the digital generation and this stuff doesn't impress me anymore. You forget about the 3D fifteen minutes in, and there are many movies that put their CGI to better purposes without a $300 price tag or killing the suspension of disbelief. Without the pretty graphics we are left with a predictable, cliched plot, terrible characters and dialog, and a blatant political subtext that is insulting to even Sarah Palin's intelligence and left me, a far-left liberal, feeling very annoyed. This movie is like being hit over the head repeatedly with a heavy blunt object. Expand

1. A fully believable, flesh-and-blood (albeit not human flesh and blood) romance is the beating heart of "Avatar." Cameron has never made a movie just to show off visual pyrotechnics: Every bit of technology in "Avatar" serves the greater purpose of a deeply felt love story.
    It's been twelve years since "Titanic," but the King of the World has returned with a flawed but fantastic tour de force that, taken on its merits as a film, especially in two dimensions, warrants four stars. However, if you can wrap a pair of 3D glasses round your peepers, this becomes a transcendent, full-on five-star experience that's the closest we'll ever come to setting foot on a strange new world. Just don't leave it so long next time, eh, Jim?
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Avatar is all-enveloping and transporting, with Cameron & Co.'s years of R&D paying off with a film that, as his work has done before, raises the technical bar and throws down a challenge for the many other filmmakers toiling in the sci-fi/fantasy realm.