7.5

1. Dec 19, 2014
    Kids will like this movie better than adults because the story is very hackneyed and cliched. Any adult will have seen it several dozen times already, so to see it again, in a long drawn out overly long movie, is as tedious as he!!. But kids who have never seen any version of this story before, might like it. The story lacks any nuance. The good guys are the indigenous people withoutKids will like this movie better than adults because the story is very hackneyed and cliched. Any adult will have seen it several dozen times already, so to see it again, in a long drawn out overly long movie, is as tedious as he!!. But kids who have never seen any version of this story before, might like it. The story lacks any nuance. The good guys are the indigenous people without technology who worship a tree. The bad guys are the people from earth, who have lots of technology and calmly drink coffee in their helicopters while they blow the primitive people to smithereens from the air. Like someone else said, it is a 3 hour public service announcement. And it lacks any kind of character development.

And by late 2014 standards, the effects - the blue people - look absurdly fake and cartoonish. I can't believe today that people were impressed by this just a few short years ago. It is a visual joke.
  2. Dec 17, 2014
    It may sport more visual than substance, but "Avatar" -- thanks to James Cameron's directing -- is still a satisfying 3D movie despite its formidable length.
  3. Dec 15, 2014
    If you remove the special effects, thus, removing the Na'vi and replacing them it by... I don't know, native Americans, you'll notice that this film has already been done. Three or four times. White man saves the "stupid" natives that can't look after themselves -which is a paradox, after all, because the movie wants you to feel that the Na'vi are really special and have their ways withIf you remove the special effects, thus, removing the Na'vi and replacing them it by... I don't know, native Americans, you'll notice that this film has already been done. Three or four times. White man saves the "stupid" natives that can't look after themselves -which is a paradox, after all, because the movie wants you to feel that the Na'vi are really special and have their ways with nature, but they are defenseless even so. What Avatar has of awesome is the ambiance, the effects are amazing (even though I prefer practical SFX, like Blade Runner, or Alien) and the movie turned 3D into something mainstream. Like what Gone with the Wind made with colored movies. Oh, and the Na'vi language was a nice touch, I read that they spent years creating it. But, if you discount all the artistic achievement, you'll notice that this film has been done before, and this version has a cumbersome plot and cheesy dialogue. It's a fun movie if you decide to left your brain at the door. But for anyone that saw GOOD films in their lives, Avatar is only mediocre. Expand
  4. Dec 7, 2014
    While the story is not original in the slightest bit, it was executed very well and the effects were beautiful. The acting wasn't particularly good except for Sigourney Weaver (but she's always good), and the dialog wasn't particularly memorable either, but the action is more than enough to keep you interested. I also highly recommend you get the 3D edition, as this is the only film I'veWhile the story is not original in the slightest bit, it was executed very well and the effects were beautiful. The acting wasn't particularly good except for Sigourney Weaver (but she's always good), and the dialog wasn't particularly memorable either, but the action is more than enough to keep you interested. I also highly recommend you get the 3D edition, as this is the only film I've ever seen that actually looks better in 3D. In the end, I honestly can't understand all the hate it gets. It may not be original but it is executed well and it has great action and effects. I'm not usually one to jump on a bandwagon with directors and studios, but I may have to make an exception with James Cameron. I have yet to see a Cameron film that I didn't like.

8.0/10
  5. Dec 7, 2014
    This movie has a storyline which is confusing. The special effects used were awesome. The places are imaginative in the way they are designed. There are lots of action in this movie. However, storyline, as stated is confusing, thus storyline is horrible. All these makes it an average movie.
  6. Nov 11, 2014
    This is my favorite sci-fi movie of all time. Fantastic visuals, fantastic characters, and fantastic dialogue. It's amazing how those three things are interwoven to create a simply amazing movie. It's really a world you can get lost in.

The only legitimate criticism I can agree with for this movie is the over-arching plot. Man evil, wants to exploit natural resources for reasons of greed and will destroy anything and everything in its way. Natives good, in tune with the natural state of things, being pressed by evil. Man sees error of his ways, switches sides and repels that evil. It's been done before...but never this good!

Anyone giving this movie below a "5" is either butt hurt about the themes of the movie, or simply didn't watch the same movie I did. This is one of only a few movies I'd ever consider giving a "10". I honestly would have given it a 9.5 if I could, with the only criticism being the plot isn't exactly original.
  7. Oct 30, 2014
    This movie deserves a Oscar in visual effects. that being said this movie fails in both the story and acting(specially neteri).
    this movie should be of 2 hours max.
    and some times at night every tree glowing with different colors seems awful.
    and also character development is bad
  8. Oct 27, 2014
    a true James Cameron masterpiece with its dazzling visuals and special effects, to its unique telling of a story that we have heard over and over again (save the trees!).
  9. Oct 18, 2014
    Jake Sully is a former Marine confined to a wheelchair. But despite his broken body, Jake is still a warrior at heart. He is recruited to travel light years to the human outpost on Pandora, where a corporate consortium is mining a rare mineral that is the key to solving Earth's energy crisis. Because Pandora's atmosphere is toxic, they have created the Avatar Program, in which humanJake Sully is a former Marine confined to a wheelchair. But despite his broken body, Jake is still a warrior at heart. He is recruited to travel light years to the human outpost on Pandora, where a corporate consortium is mining a rare mineral that is the key to solving Earth's energy crisis. Because Pandora's atmosphere is toxic, they have created the Avatar Program, in which human "drivers" have their consciousness linked to an avatar, a remotely-controlled biological body that can survive in the lethal air. These avatars are genetically engineered hybrids of human DNA mixed with DNA from the natives of Pandora... the Na'vi. Reborn in his avatar form, Jake can walk again. He is given a mission to infiltrate the Na'vi, who have become a major obstacle to mining the precious ore. But a beautiful Na'vi female, Neytiri, saves Jake's life, and this changes everything. Jake is taken in by her clan, and learns to become one of them, which involves many tests and adventures. As Jake's relationship with his reluctant teacher Neytiri deepens, he learns to respect the Na'vi way and finally takes his place among them. Soon he will face the ultimate test as he leads them in an epic battle that will decide the fate of an entire world. Expand
  10. Oct 5, 2014
    This is the worst movie i have ever seen. if there was a lower review then 0 then i would have put that. if i got a copy of this movie i would set it on fire and dance on its ashes
  11. Sep 4, 2014
    There's no way to deny the fact that Avatar is a true masterpiece when you've just came out of the cinema. The story is full of heart-breaking moments, and the CGI is way above reality. But the most important thing is that, Avatar is the best film you've ever seen!
  12. Sep 1, 2014
    After taking nearly four years to finally see this film, I am quite impressed. The story may verge on Dances with Wolves but it is still a powerful one and so beautifully shown.
  13. Aug 24, 2014
    One of the best movies I've seen this year - and one of the best movies I've seen overall.

The story leaves little to imagination in both good and the bad: there's nothing overly surprising in the plot itself, but it has just about every element when it comes to action, drama, adventure, sci-fi and fantasy. The elements in the movie complete each other; the colors, the music, the

The elements in the movie complete each other; the colors, the music, the language, the story, the characters, and the overall feeling that goes from beginning to end.

Although tragic in places, this movie gives you a happy feeling of victory and success. It has a story of survival and acceptance, approval and discovery. Worlds and cultures clash, and that is the main theme. The romance, for once, did not make me want to throw up or roll my eyes, which is an achievement in and on itself; it came naturally with the course of the movie.

This is a five star movie, but I felt as if something was missing. Perhaps it was the element of surprise. Also, some of the characters were introduced in the fly - something that happens fairly often in movies - and were left a bit shallow because of that (Michelle Rodriquez's character Trudy to name one).

And while it didn't confuse me, they didn't much explain how Avatars work in relation to their drivers. I didn't need further explanations on that area, but I'm sure there are people who are interested in the limits and correlation of the two.
  14. Aug 8, 2014
    What a technical aspect, yes it is great. That is it. This is a very cliched movie with nothing new, charismatic at all. The characters were nothing special, and more of the run in the mill archetypes that you expect.

The plotline was also very standard and the story is very thin.
  15. Aug 7, 2014
    Thrillingly ambitious, "Avatar" is well-known for its state-of-the-art CGI and marvelous 3D. The picture is undeniably impressive, from the very beginning of the film, and Cameron's work is to be praised. But there is more to this spectacle than just visuals. The story told here has every single elements that such a sci-fi needs. In this "Pocahontas"-like concept, there are strong pointsThrillingly ambitious, "Avatar" is well-known for its state-of-the-art CGI and marvelous 3D. The picture is undeniably impressive, from the very beginning of the film, and Cameron's work is to be praised. But there is more to this spectacle than just visuals. The story told here has every single elements that such a sci-fi needs. In this "Pocahontas"-like concept, there are strong points to be made. It is all about man and his fury against nature. It is all about how greed can wipe out life. Cameron makes that clear with some extremely cruel sequences, especially the breathtaking destruction of the Hometree. The first part of the film is unbelievably enjoyable, and seems to provoke thought except for the eye. It does not feature any notable performances, perhaps with the exception of Weaver, but it is decent acting that we've been already used to.

In spite of what all those haters may complain about, the main problem with "Avatar" is that it's terribly unbalanced. It is obvious that Cameron cut a lot of scenes that he had previously planned to include. There are parts of the plot that feel too rushed, such as why the Na'vi actually initiate Sully into their ways or Sully's gathering the clans to fight the humans. There are things that simply happen and you don't know why; how Sully abandoned his Banshee to ride the Leonopteryx? what became of the Banshee, tied to its master for a lifetime? why Tsu'tey trusted Sully so easily after the latter became Toruk Makto? Even the characters seem too one-sided rather than be explored to a minimum depth. Why Quaritch was so sadistically mad at the Na'vi and their culture? So are their relationships. Except for the hastily developed romance between Sully and Neytiri, the relationships between the other protagonists, human or Na'vi, also look too superficial.

The final result is too exciting to be ruined by some serious weaknesses. The first part is much promising, while the second (after the destruction of the Hometree) is more of a set of action sequences than a connected sequence of events. "Avatar" deserves praise for its ambition and freshness, but overall the whole effort is downgraded by Cameron's inability to achieve cohesion in 3 hours, fully develop the story and its characters and communicate successfully some (even commonplace) environmentalist and altruistic ideas through some stunning visuals. (Watching the film in 2014, you could see similar ideas, though better balanced, in comparable "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes", where there are not the evil humans and the kind Na'vi, but humans and apes, both having a bright and a dark side.) A worth-watching film, but not a classic (in artistic terms), even if it may be deemed one due to a historically outstanding box-office performance.
  16. Jun 8, 2014
    When I first saw Avatar in theatres a few years ago I was simply awestruck. It is without a doubt the most visually beautiful film ever made. The world of Pandora is as detailed and alive as any setting you'll ever find in a movie, and quite possibly even more so. The story may have been done many times before, but it's still very engaging. There are moments that are powerfully chargedWhen I first saw Avatar in theatres a few years ago I was simply awestruck. It is without a doubt the most visually beautiful film ever made. The world of Pandora is as detailed and alive as any setting you'll ever find in a movie, and quite possibly even more so. The story may have been done many times before, but it's still very engaging. There are moments that are powerfully charged with emotion, the direction is flawless, and the scope and scale are both breathtaking. There is also an extremely resonant atmosphere throughout. James Cameron has created what is quite possibly his best film. It's an instant classic, full of deeply human and resonant emotion, groundbreaking visuals, and viscerally stunning action. My only real complaint is that the dialogue can be somewhat clunky, but the rest of the movie quickly sends this to the realm of nitpicking. Please choose to watch this instead the next time you even think of checking out one of the lousy Transformers sequels. Expand
  17. May 18, 2014
    Visually it's so stunning and mesmerising, but that's just about it. It's boring, predictable, and too much romeoandjuliettey. More mystery and suspense to it would be a nice touch.
  18. May 13, 2014
    Avatar takes it away with its beautifully well done cinema and sfx, but i kinda agree with the critics the story wasn't strong enough to live up to its magnitude. The part before the ending was kinda stupid because it didn't give much detail on how all the humans on Pandora were dealt with.But i did like how jake Silly got a new functional Avatar body, Permanently. This opens windows forAvatar takes it away with its beautifully well done cinema and sfx, but i kinda agree with the critics the story wasn't strong enough to live up to its magnitude. The part before the ending was kinda stupid because it didn't give much detail on how all the humans on Pandora were dealt with.But i did like how jake Silly got a new functional Avatar body, Permanently. This opens windows for potential sequel and hopefully a more heart gripping story with twist and confusion, because i felt that this one was lacking on those.

Also this movie felt more on the scifi side than the fantasy wich made incredibly boring and generic

Nevertheless , amazing movie, Cant wait for that long awaited sequel
  19. Apr 21, 2014
    In my opinion one of the most overrated movie of all time. The run time was almost 3 hours and there weren't enough entertaining scenes to keep me into it the whole time at all. I also though it took a little while to get going. And even the action scenes were below par to my standards not awful by any means but not as good as everyone says or as I had hoped for. The one thing it had forIn my opinion one of the most overrated movie of all time. The run time was almost 3 hours and there weren't enough entertaining scenes to keep me into it the whole time at all. I also though it took a little while to get going. And even the action scenes were below par to my standards not awful by any means but not as good as everyone says or as I had hoped for. The one thing it had for it was great visual effects and that is why it even gets up to 5 out of 10 for me. Expand
  20. Apr 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. “Avatar” is one of the greatest movies to ever hit the big screen, and this is seen on the box office hits. At almost $3 billion, “Avatar” is the number one grossing film of all time. The film used an excellent plot, infused with action, romance, and drama, all while hitting home a true message. The message that the movie delivered can touch anyone that is able to view the 3 hour-long eye candy. The movie budget approached $300 million, adding a quality never before seen in cinema. This movie was a cinematic breakthrough, intertwining computer graphics with live acting, creating names for unknown actors, and leading critics to rave over the top film of all time.

The movie is based in the year 2154, on the distant moon of Pandora. Humans have ran out of a special mineral on the Earth, called “unobtanium,” so the humans travelled millions of light years, to this moon in the Alpha Centauri star system, to harvest this precious mineral. This moon is very Earth-like, with dense, green forests, a water-like substance, and many animals and creatures. A major difference from Earth is that the atmosphere is poisonous to humans. The moon is inhabited by the Na’vi: ten foot tall, slender, blue-skinned creatures, that somewhat resemble humans. In order for humans to harvest this mineral they search for, they have created human-Na’vi hybrid creatures, which can dwell among the rest of the population. These “avatars” initiate contact with the Na’vi people, and adapt to their culture and way of life.

The main character in the movie is a paraplegic war veteran, named Jake Sully. He takes pleasure in using an avatar, because he is able to walk when using it. During his “avatar” adventures, he meets Neytiri, a beautiful, talented Na’vi. Jake and Neytiri begin a relationship, and over the course of this relationship, Jake develops a bond with the people of the planet, and sees that what the human race is planning to do to them is wrong. He begins to fight the humans in his avatar body, and the humans eventually find out and take action. They prohibit Sully from using the avatar but he still manages to get through and get back to the Na’vi. The movie ends with a tantalizing battle between the humans and the Na’vi, in which the humans eventually fall and send the humans back to their dying planet Earth, with the exception of Jake and a few of the other scientists that teamed with the Na’vi to send the humans out. The humans that do stay behind are permanently transferred over to their avatar bodies, so that they can live with the Na’vi. The transfer occurs with the help of the goddess of Pandora, “Eywa.”

From the get-go, Avatar draws in the viewer, using Jake Sully as bait. He is a relatable character, but he also catches the attention of the audience because of his disability. His character is one of the main utensils that bring the whole conflict to fruition in the end. The computer graphics create an incredible sense of realism, as if Pandora and the Na’vi are really out there amongst the galaxies and stars. Jake’s relationship with Neytiri really brings out a warm, romantic side of the movie, away from all of the drama and adventure. Their journeys through the dense forests, encounters with wildlife, and her care for teaching him the Na’vi ways shows a serious relationship is forming. There’s even a love scene between the two thrown in, pasted among the glowing lights of the alien trees. During their countless adventures, they encounter many obstacles, as he tries to become one with the wildlife of the planet. Along with this romance, is the background debacle unfolding with the humans, planning to destroy the Na’vi “Home Tree.” Of course, the largest collection of this mineral the humans came for, is the lifeline of the Na’vi habitat. The resulting battle over this mineral has to be one of the most breathtaking, touching, emotional, action-packed, thrilling scenes I have seen. And the whole scene is conducted using computer graphics. You will leave the theater amazed.

This movie broke the barrier, and showed that CGI, or computer graphics interfaced, can be used as an art, and not to just create fake and corny low budget films. The film used new, young actors to attract a larger audience and paved the way for the beginnings of their careers. The movie was a breakthrough and proved that James Cameron still knew how to work the big screen and attract the masses to theaters. Thousands of critics rave over this movie, giving it five stars across the board, and
    “Avatar” has cemented itself as a movie for the ages. And the burning question that is etched in minds across the worlds is, when is the sequel?
  21. Apr 14, 2014
    Simply one of the best films.

Good story
    Nice action
    Perfect for showing in 3D.
    Good screening and scenery

I wanna see the next part :)

Extended version is an must have.
  22. Apr 10, 2014
    I think I'm a minority on my stance towards this movie. I don't have mixed feelings about it just to be edgy and apart from everyone else, it just rubbed me a little differently. I was largely absent from all the hype that surrounded it when it was released: I finally saw the movie towards the end of its theatrical run. With that being said, I had a much clearer perspective on it, seeingI think I'm a minority on my stance towards this movie. I don't have mixed feelings about it just to be edgy and apart from everyone else, it just rubbed me a little differently. I was largely absent from all the hype that surrounded it when it was released: I finally saw the movie towards the end of its theatrical run. With that being said, I had a much clearer perspective on it, seeing it in a theater with maybe 10 other people in it, and I can honestly say after seeing it, it's one of the most overrated movies of all time. For starters, I think the movie takes itself too seriously. At it's core, the plot is essentially an updated version of "Pocahontas" or "Dances With Wolves." I was genuinely entertained for the first half hour, in which you're introduced to the main characters and the setting of Pandora, but then movie started to take another turn. The whole thing was simply overshadowed by this very self-righteous, naturalist message about how we have to take care of the planet. Now don't get me wrong, I care for the environment, but when I feel like I'm watching a $300,000,000 EPA PSA, it kind of ruins the effect of a movie that comes from the director of Terminator 2. Throughout the movie, various other sci-fi elements are taken from movies like the Matrix and Jurassic Park, and subsequently accompanied by video game quality dialogue. In a word -- it's all over the place and just comes off sappy. Rather than a sophisticated narrative geared towards adults, Cameron just decided to go completely Saturday morning cartoon with this one, causing tons of merchandise and distribution out the ass that caters mainly to middle school boys who take garbage like this too seriously. But hey, it has amazing special effects, so I guess the it's saving grace is the familiarity of the director, and that it looks pretty. Expand
  23. Mar 29, 2014
    Where are all these good reviews coming from? I dont get it. The plot is horrifically obvious, the acting banal and the film... boring. I mean ye its kinda pretty but oscars? I just dont get it.
  24. Mar 24, 2014
    Avatar is an amazing visual spectacle to look at, and is pretty much the definition of eye candy. But, the movie distracts you with the beautiful scenery while it lacks enough story to fill its own shoes.
  25. Mar 15, 2014
    This is one of the best motion pictures I have ever seen. There were some really lovable and heroic characters, and very interesting ideas. The environments are amazing and the whole thing has allusions to the Indians and Trail of Tears. The ending brought me SO much satisfaction too. Get the Blu-Ray!
  26. Mar 12, 2014
    Like most of James movies, you can expect scenes of amazing animation and believable plots, but Avatar for me was one of the more boring films by Cameron. I know lots of people would disagree, but I expect that, but to be far I also expected more from the movie itself.
  27. Jan 26, 2014
    This film is simply amazing! The amazing visuals and a gripping, emotional story makes this one of my favorite films. James Cameron definetly knows what he is doing, there is just so much detail packed into the world of Pandora. There was clearly a lot of effort put into this project.
  28. Dec 26, 2013
    3 hours of absolute drivel. I admire the fantastic visuals and the technology, animation, bright colours and scenery. But this is exactly what a movie SHOULDN'T be. It's the direct equivalent of games like Crysis 2; all about fancy graphics but no real substance behind all the nice coat of paint. Avatar has some good action scenes and looks great as an advert for a HD TV, but as a movie it3 hours of absolute drivel. I admire the fantastic visuals and the technology, animation, bright colours and scenery. But this is exactly what a movie SHOULDN'T be. It's the direct equivalent of games like Crysis 2; all about fancy graphics but no real substance behind all the nice coat of paint. Avatar has some good action scenes and looks great as an advert for a HD TV, but as a movie it is a fail. Not only is it the most predictable movie I have ever seen, it's also the most disappointing. It seems like it was made to appeal to people that have no standards and will literally watch anything regardless of its story. If I want nice graphics, I buy a gaming PC and experience them first hand. If I watch a movie, I want to be entertained or engaged in a passive experience. There is no comedy, no moral, no philosophy, no story. The entire plot can be summarised in about 2 sentences. It portrays humans as the bad guys to appeal to people's emotions, but ignores reality. It's completely crap designed for people with low intelligence. Expand
  29. Dec 22, 2013
    If you see this in 3D you will constantly be amazed the fantastic visuals and 3D effects. Avatar is an amazing looking film that will impress everyone, However, if you are looking for amazing characters and story it is not in this film. The story and characters are unoriginal being recycled and two-dimensional. So a lot of whether or not you will enjoy this movie will depend on how muchIf you see this in 3D you will constantly be amazed the fantastic visuals and 3D effects. Avatar is an amazing looking film that will impress everyone, However, if you are looking for amazing characters and story it is not in this film. The story and characters are unoriginal being recycled and two-dimensional. So a lot of whether or not you will enjoy this movie will depend on how much those to aspects matter. If you just want to see amazing visuals you’ll have a great time being blown away by this movie and forgetting for most/all of the movie how unoriginal the characters and story are. However, if characters and story matter a lot to you, you will be disappointed in this film as they are recycled from countless other films. For me I really enjoyed the visuals and they kept my interest throughout the film. The eh characters and story only took me out sometimes. So overall I enjoyed Avatar although I don’t think its great. However, the amazing 3D make this one worth a watch. Expand
  30. Nov 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although it had a good plot, and somewhat decent graphics, the film was hard to sit through. First there was story, then a battle, then story, then a battle, and it kept going on for a while. The acting was okay for the most part, but there was so much CGI that it takes away from the story. Expand
  31. Nov 23, 2013
    Avatar is as imaginative and innovative as a movie can be, but it is only enjoyable on the big screen, the biggest you can get, and in 3D. Another problem I had with this film is that once you have seen it for the first time, it's impossible to re-watch it without feeling tired of it.
  32. Nov 15, 2013
    Avatar collides.
    With absolutely fantastic special effects and an okay script, Avatar succeeds with blazing success. Good acting, fair dialogue, and astounding visuals. The plot holes are prevalent, but the movie itself is with good execution.
  33. Nov 3, 2013
    "Avatar", directed by James Cameron, is a magnificent intense sci-fi spectacle. The movie is well-shot, has beautiful landscapes and spectacular use of CGI. Anyone who watched "The Matrix" will find this movie somehow similar.
  34. Nov 1, 2013
    It's so well produced that the visuals and sound of the film will make you feel like you really are on a different world. However, the below-average plot (which is typical, done to death and extremely cheesy) will probably spoil your enjoyment.

Despite all the flaws of its storytelling, Avatar's historical value and unmatchable production stands above everything else, and marks a turning point on the history of cinematography.
  35. Oct 27, 2013
    It's a visual masterpiece, but a narrative disappointment. It immerses you in it's magnificent world, rather than entertaining you with it's story. But, the story isn't bad. It is really decent, actually. It just falls short with it's predictability. However, it's one of those few films that impresses only with the beautiful scenery.
    Avatar, having that cliche story, it only highly
    Avatar, having that cliche story, it only highly impresses with it's immersive world. It's a good treat for your eyes, and it's a decent storyteller. (Final Score: 8.27)
  36. Oct 23, 2013
    hurr hurr hurr look at me i use words like mediocre performance and other intelligent sounding words when the only thing i dont like about the movie is that its made the most money ever. Im a rebel i go aqainst what everyone else says just so i can be different from the crowd even though i secretly love this movie hurr hurr hurr
  37. Oct 14, 2013
    Have you seen "Dances with Wolves"? Well, this is a 3D hyper-technological version of it, with very few differences between them. I'll be honest: this movie was good, but I knew the plot from the long run and, aside the flashy 3D graphics and the animation, it has nothing much to offer: it tries to impress with its scenery, character developement, alien backstory, enemy's reasoning andHave you seen "Dances with Wolves"? Well, this is a 3D hyper-technological version of it, with very few differences between them. I'll be honest: this movie was good, but I knew the plot from the long run and, aside the flashy 3D graphics and the animation, it has nothing much to offer: it tries to impress with its scenery, character developement, alien backstory, enemy's reasoning and desperation and such, but in the end you'll hardly even hear any and just want to see an action scene! There's just nothing impressive at all in this movie: the main character is just uninteresting, the lover is just there, the enemy are the usual greedy people wanting to get their stuff and action is...good actually, and the scenery, while I admit it was well done, it just doesn't impress anymore: we had an overload of CG graphics already, and if they have to use it, use it so it doesn't bore us! We are tired of super-yet-fakey-realistic CGI graphics that are obviously fake: videogames could and actually did better than you did!!!
    However, it's worth a watch anyway: it's a good movie to pass the time but, after that, you'll probably never seen it again.
  38. Oct 13, 2013
    I have come to call this movie what it is, a cliche and stock character ridden bucket of pure crap fished from the toilet that is Holywood. no effort whatsoever was made to make this anything but a quick cash grab by one of the most worthless directors out there next to Michael Bay. all this movie is is a bunch of pretty colors with a story ripped from the likes of Ferngully andI have come to call this movie what it is, a cliche and stock character ridden bucket of pure crap fished from the toilet that is Holywood. no effort whatsoever was made to make this anything but a quick cash grab by one of the most worthless directors out there next to Michael Bay. all this movie is is a bunch of pretty colors with a story ripped from the likes of Ferngully and Pochahontas. now that may enough for some people but not me. if not for the special effects I would give it 1 Expand
  39. Oct 9, 2013
    This movie is the complete in-theater experience. Watching it at home, it still holds up well, but in theaters, especially IMAX, the movie was absolutely stunning. It was an engrossing ride, that uses its atmosphere to draw you into the world and apart of the story.
  40. Sep 27, 2013
    A bland, cliched story with average acting and although the special effects are superb, it doesn't stop the film from being a mediocre bore-fest that you'll forget in a couple weeks time.
  41. Sep 11, 2013
    Visually it is utterly breathtaking. Special effect are some of the best to date. Then again it's Cameron, can we expect any less?!

Visuals aside it really isn't to much to brag about. This story has been told countless times before, the only difference is that this time it's big blue aliens. Performances are decent all around, but nothing too spectacular. I feel that Hollywood must have a standard contract clause that obligates Sigorney Weaver to start in any and every Sci-fi (or creature) movie. All hail the Queen of Weird.

Overall:
    Avatar has been blown out of proportions by the general media and the casual moviegoer and isn't as grand as it pretends to be. It's a simple story that follows a traditional story arc to a predictable end. Don't get me wrong I still thoroughly enjoyed, I just don't see it as anything more than it is. A good movie with kick ass effects.
  42. Sep 8, 2013
    Definitely the best movie i've ever seen in many years!!! Great effects, great acting. great music and everything is PERFECT!!!! I'm into this movie, and i'll never forget!
  43. Sep 6, 2013
    I absolutely hated this movie because there was no plot too much romance and the CGI was a little over the top, probably the WORST MOVIE OF THE DECADE
  44. Aug 30, 2013
    Epic. I really liked it!! James Cameron is the best film director ever. The 3D was amazing and the special effects too!! Do not miss it! Simply amazing!!
  45. Aug 29, 2013
    James did a awesome job making this movie. I saw the trailer, asking my parents badly to let me see it. Luckily they said yes. I walked out of the movies thinking "This is my favourite movie of all time". It still is. I got the blu-ray and never regretted it.
  46. Aug 24, 2013
    [8.8] After seeing Titanic I really didn't expect this from James Cameron. It's a very well-balanced movie that is obviously visually stunning, but what is really impressive is that this movie is the most lifelike any sci-fi movie will ever be. You can say that this movie is defined by CGI, or that it isn't very smart, but it is a believable, and more than worthy sci-fi movie. It probably[8.8] After seeing Titanic I really didn't expect this from James Cameron. It's a very well-balanced movie that is obviously visually stunning, but what is really impressive is that this movie is the most lifelike any sci-fi movie will ever be. You can say that this movie is defined by CGI, or that it isn't very smart, but it is a believable, and more than worthy sci-fi movie. It probably achieves this because it borrows so much from video games, but nonetheless, Avatar works very well. Expand
  47. Ndi
    Aug 18, 2013
    You know how some movies and series are all story and no special effects, and they are still awesome, like Dr Who, and Red Dwarf, and animation. Well, Avatar is the exact opposite. A tech demo of what budget can do in this day and age, but that is it.

Lame recycled story, copied scenes, it's like someone cut some scenes from other movies and re-animated them on a PC with blue people.

The only redeeming quality of the story, frankly, is the fact that the humans are somewhat accurately portrayed. Villains, but not idiotic unexplained villainy, but a nice blend of excusable and inexcusable.

This is a movie that is seen, not understood. Eye candy, and not a very good one at that. The people are blends of 2 Earth animals, the animals are blends of 2 Earth animals, basically, it's just a jungle people story with cream on top.

Under no circumstances is this movie a high scorer. Tech demo, 10. Movie, 5 because of the experience. Seriously, if seeing a movie on a small 2D screen makes it sucky, then it was sucky to begin with.
  48. Aug 17, 2013
    Best movie of all time, since i have to have 150 characters, here is a long yeah. yyyyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
  49. Aug 10, 2013
    This is Pocahontas in space, literally look it up, it's the same plot just with different character names and it's in space. Moreover, it has numerous plot holes and makes the natives out to be perfect, when they are not. The largest and most glaring plot hole was the ending, when the spirit of the plant life or something brought in all the wild animals to attack the humans, even when theThis is Pocahontas in space, literally look it up, it's the same plot just with different character names and it's in space. Moreover, it has numerous plot holes and makes the natives out to be perfect, when they are not. The largest and most glaring plot hole was the ending, when the spirit of the plant life or something brought in all the wild animals to attack the humans, even when the entirety of the preceding movie explicitly said on numerous occasions that this does NOT happen ever, for any reason. The second being 'Unobtainium', the stupidest sounding plot device ever and a large deposit just happens to be under a tree that the natives live in. Despite the numerous sub-surface mining techniques available, the CEO or whoever decided to just attack the natives for no reason, just to show the contrast between the 'perfect' natives and the 'evil' humans (white people). This movie is anti-colonialism, clearly, but it's so one-sided it's not even funny.

Really, this is just James Cameron's attempt to create his own Fursona. The single most expensive piece of self-insert Mary-sue furry fanfiction ever created, and people treat it like it's some sort of iconic movie.

People think this is good because it's pretty, but once you look past the glamour and see this from an objective perspective, you can see that this is bad. A rip off of Pocahontas. 3-D is a stupid gimmick anyway, they should knock that off.

For reasons so blatantly obvious most people miss it.
  50. Aug 5, 2013
    Avatar 10/10..........................................................................................................................................
  51. Jul 31, 2013
    This is one of the most amazing movies i´ve ever seen. The special effects are astounding, and i think it is also an artistic masterpiece. The landscape, plants and animals were brilliantly designed, the characters´development in the movie is correctly achieved and the story is interesting. It is a very good movie filled with beauty, majesty and lot of creativity. I highly recommend it.
  52. Jul 18, 2013
    Visually, this film dazzles and amazes. Story- this film is an overly preachy and overly long and an overblown film. I really didn't like it at all. My opinion. There you go. Oh and the 3D, made me sick.
  53. Jul 16, 2013
    Masterpiece!

I think many many years down the line this film will be looked back on as one of the greatest films of all time, It's already the #1 grossing film of all time so it just goes to show how successful this film really was! Avatar was extremely unique. With a very detailed, emotional and grabbing story combined with some of the best, if not the actual best visual effects
    Masterpiece!

Avatar was extremely unique. With a very detailed, emotional and grabbing story combined with some of the best, if not the actual best visual effects ever come to a cinema screen. I would have to say this is one of the greatest films I have ever seen in my life, and rightly so!

Highly recommended!
  54. Jul 5, 2013
    The special effects were indeed amazing, the direction great, the photography too....but this story has been told a hundred times before, and in much better ways. It's an overly simplistic divide between the good guys (the natives) and the bad guys (the greedy invaders). Any moral conflicts seemed to be redundant; in fact, the film was extremely predictable (like we all didn't know whatThe special effects were indeed amazing, the direction great, the photography too....but this story has been told a hundred times before, and in much better ways. It's an overly simplistic divide between the good guys (the natives) and the bad guys (the greedy invaders). Any moral conflicts seemed to be redundant; in fact, the film was extremely predictable (like we all didn't know what was going to happen when Jake was told the story about the Toruk....). Overall, not a bad film, but the extensive hype and predictable storyline ruined it for me. Expand
  55. Jun 28, 2013
    This movie is meant to look and sound good, and really that's it. Other than all the CGI and special effect, there's nothing much to the movie. The plot is nothing we haven't seen before the characters aren't that interesting, and the 3D never adds much. If you want to see a good looking movie, then this is for you. If you want a good story, go see "Dances with Wolves", which has a veryThis movie is meant to look and sound good, and really that's it. Other than all the CGI and special effect, there's nothing much to the movie. The plot is nothing we haven't seen before the characters aren't that interesting, and the 3D never adds much. If you want to see a good looking movie, then this is for you. If you want a good story, go see "Dances with Wolves", which has a very similar plot that is twice as good. Expand
  56. Jun 20, 2013
    Overrated and shallow, Avatar is one of the enigmas of film making. How could a movie with a tired story line, hilariously one-dimensional characters, and poor script have such good critical reviews? Given, the movie has stylish directing and fantastic visuals, but I could have the exact same entertainment experience on a theme park ride. A good movie is supposed to tell a story and haveOverrated and shallow, Avatar is one of the enigmas of film making. How could a movie with a tired story line, hilariously one-dimensional characters, and poor script have such good critical reviews? Given, the movie has stylish directing and fantastic visuals, but I could have the exact same entertainment experience on a theme park ride. A good movie is supposed to tell a story and have relatable characters, and Avatar had neither of those things. One thing I will say is that the movie gave me a good laugh, when the stereotypical grunt Marine was in the robot suit and pulled out a comically huge knife, I thought that was the funniest thing ever. If you are looking for a film with some substance, don't see Avatar, but if you just want some eye-candy, you might like it. Expand
  57. Jun 18, 2013
    An astonishing looking film, but with little emotion and extremely predictable story. The action scenes are very well done, and the world of Pandora are the best elements of the whole movie. The writing can get very bad at times, but of course the purpose of this film is to entertain, which it does for the most part.
  58. May 28, 2013
    the script may not be the most innovative or better hefty, but that is where the technical triumphs over the rest, with the effects that the film has another relatively talented cast, the film only presisava a story while doing the technical part rest.
  59. May 27, 2013
    Everything is horrible. This alien, antagonist, helicopters, both protagonist and antagonist's weapons, arrow, spear, robot, giant knife, story. What a waste of money. What's worst is there will be a sequel.
  60. May 18, 2013
    Great visual effects, film and mounted with a spectacular photography and a magnificent art direction and stunning views, but their enrendo is not the best yet it is still a great movie.
  61. May 6, 2013
    I really dont see the big fuss about the movie. It was a predictable story borrowing heavily from other works. Visually striking however, no one can take that away from the movie. But other than that, its just like any other usual movie with nothing original.
  62. May 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What an amazing movie and the ability to bring the viewer deeper into the realm of new belief is not comparable. James Cameron was able to strongly voice opinions through the characters and situations presented in Avatar. From the story line all the way down to the visual effects, the movie was spot on for its delivery point.

I don't believe that this movie set out to push its belief and logic on the viewer, but set out to prove a point in society; that is, that our world loses sight of essentials when we are in need of any resource. The beauty and character of Pandora is easily forgotten by the drive to gain substance. We have a long line of character personalities from the general who at any expense will not be stopped in his need for what seems is payback, to the scientist who wishes to gain knowledge from the indigenous peoples.

I think there is a stronger presence in this movie for a world in search of answers, or unwilling to see whats in front of us. In modern world we struggle to see that there is a God, much like on Pandora. The beauty of the creation is hard to enjoy when you see it as a mere object. The creation, just like on earth, was created to prove a maker! Losing sight of this turns us into mere objects for pure progression, nothing less nothing more, but we are caught wondering what is this life for? The answer lays on the lines more deeply of is there more than this life or is this it? Pandora, it seems, attempts to answer this question through its deity. There is a higher power that brings life and beauty but the inability to come to that realization creates what seems is a monster in the characters seeking their riches.

I think the deeper questions are not along the lines of, what was the point of this movie? But, more along the lines of what can we learn from this movie. There is a bold statement made about culture today, do we see that ourselves, or are we blinded by progress much like from the humans in this movie?

I think many dislike this movie because of its bold undertones so we flee or become stand offish. There is a constant critique about controversial movies, but what about sitting back in learning rather than being so critical?
  63. Apr 11, 2013
    I dont know but I prefer science fiction without all tha eco themes like Rendezvous with Rama form A. C. Clarke http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendezvous_with_Rama.
    Yes it is in 3D but thats about it, characters are shallow, story one sided, logic flawed and ultimate point of movie wrong.
  64. Apr 4, 2013
    I'm not really a fan of big budget movies except for Titanic i think having a big budget movie will make it hard to maintain the story and the actors performances and aside from the fact that this movie in 3D i think James Cameron did a spectacular job with the visual effect and all that technological stuff but is the story solid NO is the performances good NO is the performance byI'm not really a fan of big budget movies except for Titanic i think having a big budget movie will make it hard to maintain the story and the actors performances and aside from the fact that this movie in 3D i think James Cameron did a spectacular job with the visual effect and all that technological stuff but is the story solid NO is the performances good NO is the performance by Sam Worthington the leading actor memorable Hell NO he can't act so we left with nothing good and memorable also the story is unstable and messy so for me a solid 6 out of 10 fit to this movie. Expand
  65. Apr 2, 2013
    I like this film, because of the feelings this movie distributes. This piece of sci-fi is very beautiful to look at and it is very engaging. It is a solid 10
  66. Mar 24, 2013
    James Cameron's thrilling film starring talented actors like Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana and Sigourney Weaver will always remain a favorite to many of its viewers. Special effects were jaw-dropping and unbelievable.
  67. Mar 18, 2013
    This is the number one movie of all time????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Why? Because of the flashy special effects? Cause that was the only memorable thing from this movie other then the long 3 hour experience first time watching it in a theater I feel asleep 1hr and 20 mins in. Next time watched it at home stopped at an hour, next week pickedThis is the number one movie of all time????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Why? Because of the flashy special effects? Cause that was the only memorable thing from this movie other then the long 3 hour experience first time watching it in a theater I feel asleep 1hr and 20 mins in. Next time watched it at home stopped at an hour, next week picked back up then stopped, then again I took me 4 times to watch the entire movie at home over a month long time period. Nothing special and certainly original. Save your money and watch a bootlegged version online or the real thing online. Expand
  68. Mar 13, 2013
    The action was what you'd expect from such a big block buster. And I kinda like the premise of the story but the story turned out fake and emotionless in my opinion. Also I couldn't find it in me to care about a single character. The love of the main characters was poorly developed as well. In the end it's not for me. But those of you that just want to see blue aliens go to battle againstThe action was what you'd expect from such a big block buster. And I kinda like the premise of the story but the story turned out fake and emotionless in my opinion. Also I couldn't find it in me to care about a single character. The love of the main characters was poorly developed as well. In the end it's not for me. But those of you that just want to see blue aliens go to battle against mankind because we're invading their planet. Go for it. Expand
  69. Mar 12, 2013
    Visual masterpieces with a thrilling story and unbelievable mastery in filmmaking rarely come along, but director James Cameron has simply (well, not simply) defined the open era of cinema with this stunning and original masterpiece that has set the benchmark for years to come.
    12 years is a long time out of the directors chair, but for Cameron this was necessary to create his vision for perfection, for technology to catch up on his dream, and boy oh boy was the wait worth it.
    Cameron's epic tale is a war story of sorts, set in perhaps a not too distant future when humans have basically used up all resources on earth, and have sent many soldiers and scientists to the moon of Pandora, a distant planet in an entirely different star system.
    Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) is our paraplegic hero, a former marine who is sent to replace his deceased twin brother as a Na'vi hybrid, or "Avatars". These are created using human DNA and the DNA of the native tribe of Pandora, the Na'vi. Jake is soon tasked with infiltrating the tribe as a mole in a bid for them to give up the location of unobtanium, a precious mineral which can be used on earth.
    Without going into too much more of the story, this film is beautiful, stunning and is a breakthrough in modern technology in cinema, the world of Pandora which Cameron has created never looks overly CGI, it looks, well, real, quite an impressive feat, the rumoured $300 million budget has been put to good use.
    What is most impressive, however, is the cinematography Mauro Fiore, who has superbly collaborated with Cameron to create an alternate universe to get lost and to fantasise about other worlds.
    To put this up against some of the best epic films of our time, the Star Wars franchise, Lord of the Rings and even Cameron's own Titanic, Avatar can proudly sit amongst if not above them, Star Wars was a franchise that had already made its market, LOTR were already a set of books and Titanic was a real life event, Avatar is a completely original concept, with obvious similarities to other films, but it is truly remarkable the scale and size of this film which was unsurprisingly over a decade in the making, but is not appreciated in its fullest to what has been achieved, a true mile stone, a technological and cinematic anomaly.
    Only question and drawback I had from this film was simply...why did it have to end?
  70. Mar 9, 2013
    Truly Avatar was a mastermind. Was. Cameron gives the plot too many things to keep up with, not only that but it gives you an unpleasing run time that will leave you bored till the end. Now for the people who disageree with me and say its an all time epic film your wrong. Watch it again and you'll realize how boring and forgettable the last battle of the movie was. So overall, this was aTruly Avatar was a mastermind. Was. Cameron gives the plot too many things to keep up with, not only that but it gives you an unpleasing run time that will leave you bored till the end. Now for the people who disageree with me and say its an all time epic film your wrong. Watch it again and you'll realize how boring and forgettable the last battle of the movie was. So overall, this was a very exhausting film to watch. Expand
  71. Mar 8, 2013
    Avatar is the poster child for 3D cinema yet its other qualities are distinctly one dimensional, apparently 200 million dollars can't buy you a good story. Anyone who watches this is in for a headache-inducing three hours that they will never get back.
  72. Mar 1, 2013
    What has Avatar to offer? Graphics and... and nothing else. Only good graphics. The movie is definitely overrated, with a poor story, ridiculous characters and nothing new to offer to the genre. I'm sorry, but I really didn't like it at all.
  73. Feb 24, 2013
    People bashed it cause it was a big budget film and the focus of the previews and reviews were on the special effects, however this is one of the best sci-fi movies ever made, filled with hidden messages and real implications for our future. If you refuse to see it because it was a highly publicized blockbuster, than you are an idiot!
  74. Feb 24, 2013
    For sure one of the best action/sci-fi movies ever. It's so emotionally engaging, so mindbogglingly(?) epic, nothing compares to the epic awesomeness of this film. As I'm sure you can tell, I love this movie.
    There are way to many people that simply "like" this movie and I don't get how that's possible. It's great in almost every way. Second, just because a film has similar theme and plot element as other films (Pocahontas, Dances With Wolves), does not mean it's automatically unoriginal? I see the similarities between the films, but it doesn't bother me. Why? Because this is a brilliant film. So what if it is, Avatar has created it's own little world when it comes to film. Nothing compares to the visual effects, graphics, and action. I don't think people realize that; Avatar has revolutionized cinema!
  75. Feb 15, 2013
    The movie is good, but not so good for me. The film serves only to see it once and then forget about it.
  76. Feb 10, 2013
    Climatically beautiful, masterful use of 3D and amazing use of colors, and great computer animation. These aspects are the highlight of the film. If you get the opportunity to see Avatar on a movie theater screen then it is a must see due to it's brilliance on the big screen. However on the small screen much of this brilliance is less in the forefront and this allows you to see through howClimatically beautiful, masterful use of 3D and amazing use of colors, and great computer animation. These aspects are the highlight of the film. If you get the opportunity to see Avatar on a movie theater screen then it is a must see due to it's brilliance on the big screen. However on the small screen much of this brilliance is less in the forefront and this allows you to see through how pretty it is and see how the story is really lacking. Avatar's story line is an unoriginal mishmash of different movies filled with uninspiring characters. Yes this movie will awe you with it's visual effects but if you're looking for a movie with a deep story Avatar is not it. the acting all an all was good and the story was not lacking at any fault of the actors. This movie is a typical James Cameron spectacle with little more than pretty scenery. Expand
  77. Feb 9, 2013
    An unoriginal movie that did not recieve even one oscar that it recieved. Also, that only happened because James Franco directed Titanic. Not worth owning, a movie that's easily forgettable.
  78. Jan 13, 2013
    The movie is nearly fun to watch, but misses that by a thin hair. The story i abominable. Cheese and bore. The effects, while entertaining can't last the length of the movie, which by the first half, is begging you to leave.
  79. Jan 5, 2013
    This movie was a conglomeration of story lines that were boring the first time I saw them in Pocahontas and Titanic. It is a go- green movie that thrives due to its special effects but falls flat on every other aspect. This movie has risen to its predecessors of Push and Transformers.
  80. Jan 4, 2013
    Most overrated movie in history. The only good thing about Avatar is the visuals. The world is pretty to look at but.. well, there's nothing there. The story is horrible, the characters annoying, and the scenarios they find themselves in absolutely ridiculous
  81. Dec 29, 2012
    This movie is overrated but it still wasn't bad. The special effects were absolutely awesome. The 3D? imo -- unnecessary. I don't think I even noticed anything being in 3D after the initial few minutes of putting my glasses on. The 3D technology was also inferior to the laser IMAX 3D films I saw in the late 90s, in those, things actually jumped out in the theater right in front of yourThis movie is overrated but it still wasn't bad. The special effects were absolutely awesome. The 3D? imo -- unnecessary. I don't think I even noticed anything being in 3D after the initial few minutes of putting my glasses on. The 3D technology was also inferior to the laser IMAX 3D films I saw in the late 90s, in those, things actually jumped out in the theater right in front of your seat, with this 3D technology? nope, things just kind of pop out a few feet in front of the screen only. The plot of the movie was okay, a not-so-subtle criticism of the Pentagon (you seen a pentagon around their map board) and/or Military Industrial Complex wanting to destroy the natural habitat of the indigenous people. This movie dragged a lot in parts though, it was longer than it needed to be, they should have cut out those dragging sections, it would have been much better then. Overall, amazing special effects and a mildly-entertaining movie. Worth seeing but doesn't live up to all of the hype. I give it an 8/10 Expand
  82. Dec 29, 2012
    A solid blockbuster that pulls all the 'right' strings and puts on an impressive spectacle. The aspect that settles it firmly in the highest part of the score chart (giving it an 9, but it could be an 8 as well) is that the director takes a humanitarian subject that he is personally passionate about, and creates a compelling Hollywood expression of the issue. It doesn't hurt the film thatA solid blockbuster that pulls all the 'right' strings and puts on an impressive spectacle. The aspect that settles it firmly in the highest part of the score chart (giving it an 9, but it could be an 8 as well) is that the director takes a humanitarian subject that he is personally passionate about, and creates a compelling Hollywood expression of the issue. It doesn't hurt the film that nature is so rich in beauty and easily gorgeous visuals that the movie oozes with beauty that in itself creates a compelling argument for environmental preservation and humble approaches to our shared home. Expand
  83. Dec 24, 2012
    Effects: Absolutely incredibly well done. Nothing bad to say about it.
    Script: Eh, it was okay. Characters: Nothing is well developed (Titanic was the same way)
    Plot: Nothing special, but not horrible. Pros: Visual treat that will have you on your seat. Cons: After 1 hour, you might get bored. Diagnosis: It is worth seeing, but it's not the best movie ever. Guilty Pleasure: No. It's
    Effects: Absolutely incredibly well done. Nothing bad to say about it.
    Plot: Nothing special, but not horrible.
    Pros: Visual treat that will have you on your seat.
    Cons: After 1 hour, you might get bored.
    Diagnosis: It is worth seeing, but it's not the best movie ever.
    Guilty Pleasure: No. It's not horrible.
  84. Dec 22, 2012
    This has to be one of the most overrated films in the history of cinema. The only reason this movie gets any praise is because of the special effects, which I will admit were really good, but everything else is just below average and unoriginal. Avatar is far too long and is something that I would expect Michael Bay to direct.
  85. Dec 22, 2012
    Mind-blowing special effects and amazing screenplay however calling this movie the most epic movie ever is overrated.
  86. Dec 17, 2012
    Avatar will take you to Pandora. Jake Sully informed that his brother is dead so now he is controlling his brother's avatar. This film is not only action but also drama. I really cried. Great film.
  87. Dec 15, 2012
    is a film with great graphics but the story is no big deal is anyway
    a film that sees to the end with a bit of enthusiasm do not know is how is the film with the highest revenue ever
  88. Dec 11, 2012
    Avatar, along with James Cameron, is a classic example of overrated media. Even though Avatar has its strong moments, and the undeniable visual candy that is omnipresent within the movie, its plot is tired, predictable and cliched. The raconteur of gunfire, obvious native America references, disappointing dialogue and bitter aftertaste combine to form one of the most mediocre films byAvatar, along with James Cameron, is a classic example of overrated media. Even though Avatar has its strong moments, and the undeniable visual candy that is omnipresent within the movie, its plot is tired, predictable and cliched. The raconteur of gunfire, obvious native America references, disappointing dialogue and bitter aftertaste combine to form one of the most mediocre films by James Cameron, only being supported by the visuals. Expand
  89. Dec 11, 2012
    Avatar, despite all its hype and adoration, simply fails to deliver a truly satisfying experience. The special effects are easily the best part of this film, though everything else from the stilted writing to the empty, stereotypical characters to the uninspired eye-roller of a dystopian future bereft of any intellectually stimulating rhetoric or substance.
  90. Nov 25, 2012
    Avatar is no doubt my least favorite film of all time for one simple reason: it is everything wrong with Hollywood. Over-budgeted production cost, the lure of 3D to draw viewers, manipulative characters and political messages, and the complete lack of depth in the characters and story plague this beautiful looking film. To say that this film is bad would be a lie, but I despise this filmAvatar is no doubt my least favorite film of all time for one simple reason: it is everything wrong with Hollywood. Over-budgeted production cost, the lure of 3D to draw viewers, manipulative characters and political messages, and the complete lack of depth in the characters and story plague this beautiful looking film. To say that this film is bad would be a lie, but I despise this film so much due to it's one-dimensional characters and predictable and unoriginal story. James Cameron has done some great work in his career (The Terminator films, Aliens, [and even] Titanic), but Avatar is not among that prestigious list. Avatar only goes to prove that visual effects and action scenes do not guarantee a good film. For example, 12 Angry Men is one of the greatest films ever and it contains no action, CGI, and lacks multiple locations; the entire appeal of the film lies in its strong characters, dialogue, premise, and confrontations. Avatar lacks all these quintessential elements, and therefore suffers. Expand
  91. Nov 9, 2012
    As I once heard it put: "A sight to behold. A story to forget".
  92. Nov 8, 2012
    A great vision, with more than excellent visual effects, some of the best I've ever seen in fact. Despite this, the film drones on for the last hour with battle sequences. If you're not a hardcore sci-fi action fan, it'll put you to sleep.
  93. Nov 5, 2012
    It's the first movie that I saw, who made it perfect with the 3D part. But that's all. Story is boring as hell. I watched Avatar now for the 5th time, the first 3 times I just fall asleep. Sorry, I don't get it!? Why is that movie so great? Story is nothing new, but the effects are ... Yeah, I'll go and watch the visual demo of my Nvidia, it's the same ...
  94. Oct 30, 2012
    Yes. The visuals were amazing... but that's about it. I seriously don't understand how people can call it the greatest movie of all time, the plot is weak.
    It's like a cardboard cut-out of a chocolate cake.
  95. Oct 23, 2012
    Now Avatar is one of those movies you see at the movies and love it more than anything else after seeing it. However when you watch it again you realise it was because you were so overwhelmed with the small things in the film and focused on the fantastic parts instead of anything else. I thought that way after seeing it but Avatar will never live up to the likes of Star Wars, Blade Runner,Now Avatar is one of those movies you see at the movies and love it more than anything else after seeing it. However when you watch it again you realise it was because you were so overwhelmed with the small things in the film and focused on the fantastic parts instead of anything else. I thought that way after seeing it but Avatar will never live up to the likes of Star Wars, Blade Runner, E.T. or Inception as examples of sci-fi films that will never have equals.

This movie is still entertaining but it is not fantastic storytelling. It's a good set up for climactic action scenes at best. Jake Sully was a likeable character but he was the nobody-becoming-hero kind of character. The characters are as familiar as cookies. They're made of the exact same recipe that's been used over and over making it lose its speciality. However Avatar can't be denied of its ambition in trying to deliver an epic scale cinematic experience.

I thought this was one of the top movies of 2009 and thought it as a favourite movie of mine, but my opinion of it has diminished somewhat, but I still love it in my own way, not like my love for Star Wars or Lord of the Rings.

You need to see the movie in 3D to be able to fully appreciate how well made it is. All the negative reviews probably saw the 2D one instead of the authentic version. Now they've FINALLY released the movie on 3D Blu-Ray we can all purchase the version we loved in the cinema and watch it at home any time we want to.

As a storytelling movie it isn't all that impressive. As an experience it is amazing especially when you're watching the 3D version of it. I think people never cared for the experience or exploration of Pandora; they just wanted to make fun of the guy who made Titanic, the movie that was once the top-grosser of all time that was defeated by Avatar.

Avatar is a good time at the movies but beware the trolls of this movie. Don't listen to them. Watch this movie and see for yourself and it's okay if you love it or hate it or anything else in between. It's not the best movie ever made; there are better films, but Avatar is great escapism for those looking for a sci-fi fantasy movie to help escape their own boring lives.
  96. Sep 17, 2012
    Avatar is a really mixed bag. It's good points are awesome; Sci-fi on a grand scale, fantastic action sequences and a return to the colonial marines aesthetic of Aliens. It's bad points are equally annoying, though; It's overwrought in the extreme, it has a paint-by-number script and commits wholesale theft from Dances With Wolves. Ultimately, however, Avatar scores an inevitable victoryAvatar is a really mixed bag. It's good points are awesome; Sci-fi on a grand scale, fantastic action sequences and a return to the colonial marines aesthetic of Aliens. It's bad points are equally annoying, though; It's overwrought in the extreme, it has a paint-by-number script and commits wholesale theft from Dances With Wolves. Ultimately, however, Avatar scores an inevitable victory from the simplest of notions. It makes us want to see the bad guys take a monster ass-whooping! Expand
  97. Sep 12, 2012
    One of the best ever. Im Super suprised it didnt win the Best Picture. The Final Battle had even great suprises, and intensity. For those who negatively judge, they got no proof that it sucks, which it doesnt.
  98. Sep 4, 2012
    "Avatar" is great, because It's full with thrilling moments. Now, the 3D animation is masterful, and the story, not fantastic, but great. It's with great voice acting and with good characters.
  99. Sep 3, 2012
    The movie wasn't half bad, but the visuals were about the only thing it could conger up. Script and acting were below par completely and the movie seemed too cliche.
  100. Aug 29, 2012
    Avatar is the magical work of the cinematic genius that is James Cameron, the man behind The Terminator and Aliens. Jake Sully is a marine who was injured in battle and left paralysed from the waist down. After his brothers untimely death Jake is invited to take up his brothers scientific pursuits on the planet Pandora as part of the Avatar program. After being separated from his group onAvatar is the magical work of the cinematic genius that is James Cameron, the man behind The Terminator and Aliens. Jake Sully is a marine who was injured in battle and left paralysed from the waist down. After his brothers untimely death Jake is invited to take up his brothers scientific pursuits on the planet Pandora as part of the Avatar program. After being separated from his group on a mission Jake is found by Neytiri, one of the Navi native to the planet. Neytiri trains Jake in the ways of the Navi as he falls in love with her and the planet around him. However the mining corporation stationed on Pandora have other plans for the planet, and so ensues a battle for survival, love and family. Avatar is more than just a visually stunning film with its amazingly realistic special effects, it makes the film feel alive and real. Avatar is a must watch film that should not be missed by anyone. Expand

1. A fully believable, flesh-and-blood (albeit not human flesh and blood) romance is the beating heart of "Avatar." Cameron has never made a movie just to show off visual pyrotechnics: Every bit of technology in "Avatar" serves the greater purpose of a deeply felt love story.
    It's been twelve years since "Titanic," but the King of the World has returned with a flawed but fantastic tour de force that, taken on its merits as a film, especially in two dimensions, warrants four stars. However, if you can wrap a pair of 3D glasses round your peepers, this becomes a transcendent, full-on five-star experience that's the closest we'll ever come to setting foot on a strange new world. Just don't leave it so long next time, eh, Jim?
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Avatar is all-enveloping and transporting, with Cameron & Co.'s years of R&D paying off with a film that, as his work has done before, raises the technical bar and throws down a challenge for the many other filmmakers toiling in the sci-fi/fantasy realm.