Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: December 18, 2009
Generally favorable reviews based on 3053 Ratings
2,183
Watch Now
GeorgeJJun 16, 2010
Graphics phenomenal but story sucked. Unubtainium, really? They couldn't have come up with anything better.
19 of 25 users found this helpful
PrivateJokerApr 10, 2014
I think I'm a minority on my stance towards this movie. I don't have mixed feelings about it just to be edgy and apart from everyone else, it just rubbed me a little differently. I was largely absent from all the hype that surrounded it whenI think I'm a minority on my stance towards this movie. I don't have mixed feelings about it just to be edgy and apart from everyone else, it just rubbed me a little differently. I was largely absent from all the hype that surrounded it when it was released: I finally saw the movie towards the end of its theatrical run. With that being said, I had a much clearer perspective on it, seeing it in a theater with maybe 10 other people in it, and I can honestly say after seeing it, it's one of the most overrated movies of all time. For starters, I think the movie takes itself too seriously. At it's core, the plot is essentially an updated version of "Pocahontas" or "Dances With Wolves." I was genuinely entertained for the first half hour, in which you're introduced to the main characters and the setting of Pandora, but then movie started to take another turn. The whole thing was simply overshadowed by this very self-righteous, naturalist message about how we have to take care of the planet. Now don't get me wrong, I care for the environment, but when I feel like I'm watching a $300,000,000 EPA PSA, it kind of ruins the effect of a movie that comes from the director of Terminator 2. Throughout the movie, various other sci-fi elements are taken from movies like the Matrix and Jurassic Park, and subsequently accompanied by video game quality dialogue. In a word -- it's all over the place and just comes off sappy. Rather than a sophisticated narrative geared towards adults, Cameron just decided to go completely Saturday morning cartoon with this one, causing tons of merchandise and distribution out the ass that caters mainly to middle school boys who take garbage like this too seriously. But hey, it has amazing special effects, so I guess the it's saving grace is the familiarity of the director, and that it looks pretty. Expand
bjmcdonald1991Oct 23, 2013
hurr hurr hurr look at me i use words like mediocre performance and other intelligent sounding words when the only thing i dont like about the movie is that its made the most money ever. Im a rebel i go aqainst what everyone else says just sohurr hurr hurr look at me i use words like mediocre performance and other intelligent sounding words when the only thing i dont like about the movie is that its made the most money ever. Im a rebel i go aqainst what everyone else says just so i can be different from the crowd even though i secretly love this movie hurr hurr hurr Expand
RayPistSep 27, 2013
A bland, cliched story with average acting and although the special effects are superb, it doesn't stop the film from being a mediocre bore-fest that you'll forget in a couple weeks time.
A.E.Feb 21, 2010
Superb special effects can't make-up for a predictible plot and so-so acting. See it in 3D at the theater--no need to ever see this movie on the small screen.
PhilB.Feb 6, 2010
I struggle to understand how anyone can be so sucked in by the graphics that they overlook the recycled plot, terrible dialogue and mediocre performances. If indeed it does change cinema forever then it's a sad day for film-making when I struggle to understand how anyone can be so sucked in by the graphics that they overlook the recycled plot, terrible dialogue and mediocre performances. If indeed it does change cinema forever then it's a sad day for film-making when focussing on the 3D is a substitute for trying to make a good film. I'm just thankful I've not met a single person who was "blown away", in fact I don't know anyone who'd award it more than a 7. Expand
KathySApr 8, 2010
Too long, vastly over-rated.
DPJan 26, 2010
Getting past the awe of a fast panning 3D environment--which is difficult for many sci-fi junkies--I grade the movie on what we'll think outside of our temporary giddiness. When we come back to this movie, the lack of depth in the Getting past the awe of a fast panning 3D environment--which is difficult for many sci-fi junkies--I grade the movie on what we'll think outside of our temporary giddiness. When we come back to this movie, the lack of depth in the characterization, the weak attempts at philosophy, and the over stated Gia-Green Earth message will not only bore us, it will insult us. Remember Jar-Jar from Starwars Episode 1. We tolerated him on the first viewing, but has made repeated viewings intolerable. Once the shiny green is gone; the movie will be as well--or we'll just stare with pitiful regret at a box on our shelves. Expand
USGNov 21, 2011
Other than popularizing 3D, Avatar has nothing else to offer. The story is basic and unbearable at times if not predictable. The only thing that is captivating is the effects and technicality for a short time then it and the dialogue appalls.
TheSuddernatorDec 15, 2011
To sum up a boring film. i mean yeah the cgi, blue alien concept is good but not for 162 minutes. I was frustrated with the fact that james cameron thought it would be ok just to show off the cgi and leave it to a bunch of 10 year olds toTo sum up a boring film. i mean yeah the cgi, blue alien concept is good but not for 162 minutes. I was frustrated with the fact that james cameron thought it would be ok just to show off the cgi and leave it to a bunch of 10 year olds to create a shabby story with more action scenes than all 3 transformers in a row. im not saying its a bad film, not by any means as i suppose the cgi and idea of pandora is well thought of, its just very boring after you realise that the cgi concept is all your going to see in this 2 and a half hour marathon of a film. Expand
NikolayGDec 19, 2014
Kids will like this movie better than adults because the story is very hackneyed and cliched. Any adult will have seen it several dozen times already, so to see it again, in a long drawn out overly long movie, is as tedious as he!!. But kidsKids will like this movie better than adults because the story is very hackneyed and cliched. Any adult will have seen it several dozen times already, so to see it again, in a long drawn out overly long movie, is as tedious as he!!. But kids who have never seen any version of this story before, might like it. The story lacks any nuance. The good guys are the indigenous people without technology who worship a tree. The bad guys are the people from earth, who have lots of technology and calmly drink coffee in their helicopters while they blow the primitive people to smithereens from the air. Like someone else said, it is a 3 hour public service announcement. And it lacks any kind of character development.

And by late 2014 standards, the effects - the blue people - look absurdly fake and cartoonish. I can't believe today that people were impressed by this just a few short years ago. It is a visual joke.
XposureAug 5, 2012
When I decided to begin watching Avatar, I was expecting a great movie, but that's simply not what was revealed before my eyes. The only truly good thing I can say about it, is that it's got some pretty impressive visuals. The rest of theWhen I decided to begin watching Avatar, I was expecting a great movie, but that's simply not what was revealed before my eyes. The only truly good thing I can say about it, is that it's got some pretty impressive visuals. The rest of the movie is more or less average. Expand
NdiAug 18, 2013
You know how some movies and series are all story and no special effects, and they are still awesome, like Dr Who, and Red Dwarf, and animation. Well, Avatar is the exact opposite. A tech demo of what budget can do in this day and age, butYou know how some movies and series are all story and no special effects, and they are still awesome, like Dr Who, and Red Dwarf, and animation. Well, Avatar is the exact opposite. A tech demo of what budget can do in this day and age, but that is it.

Lame recycled story, copied scenes, it's like someone cut some scenes from other movies and re-animated them on a PC with blue people.

The only redeeming quality of the story, frankly, is the fact that the humans are somewhat accurately portrayed. Villains, but not idiotic unexplained villainy, but a nice blend of excusable and inexcusable.

This is a movie that is seen, not understood. Eye candy, and not a very good one at that. The people are blends of 2 Earth animals, the animals are blends of 2 Earth animals, basically, it's just a jungle people story with cream on top.

Under no circumstances is this movie a high scorer. Tech demo, 10. Movie, 5 because of the experience. Seriously, if seeing a movie on a small 2D screen makes it sucky, then it was sucky to begin with.
cag11Nov 26, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although it had a good plot, and somewhat decent graphics, the film was hard to sit through. First there was story, then a battle, then story, then a battle, and it kept going on for a while. The acting was okay for the most part, but there was so much CGI that it takes away from the story. Expand
yogesh487Oct 30, 2014
This movie deserves a Oscar in visual effects. that being said this movie fails in both the story and acting(specially neteri).
this movie should be of 2 hours max.
and some times at night every tree glowing with different colors seems
this movie should be of 2 hours max.
and some times at night every tree glowing with different colors seems awful.
and also character development is bad
ingie44Mar 29, 2014
Where are all these good reviews coming from? I dont get it. The plot is horrifically obvious, the acting banal and the film... boring. I mean ye its kinda pretty but oscars? I just dont get it.
RayzorMooseNov 15, 2013
Avatar collides.
With absolutely fantastic special effects and an okay script, Avatar succeeds with blazing success. Good acting, fair dialogue, and astounding visuals. The plot holes are prevalent, but the movie itself is with good execution.
bfoore90Mar 6, 2017
Once you get past the enriched environments, brilliant use of CGI and 3D filming, you find that Avatar is a so-so film that is essentially "Pocahontas" in space with blue aliens and marines instead of Indians and pilgrims.
FilmVirtueMar 12, 2014
Like most of James movies, you can expect scenes of amazing animation and believable plots, but Avatar for me was one of the more boring films by Cameron. I know lots of people would disagree, but I expect that, but to be far I also expectedLike most of James movies, you can expect scenes of amazing animation and believable plots, but Avatar for me was one of the more boring films by Cameron. I know lots of people would disagree, but I expect that, but to be far I also expected more from the movie itself. Expand
Meth-dudeMay 17, 2015
The special effects were amazing but the acting performances and the length of the film are the week spots.Sam Worthington tries but he is not good enough to be the main character.
Viper8787Apr 21, 2014
In my opinion one of the most overrated movie of all time. The run time was almost 3 hours and there weren't enough entertaining scenes to keep me into it the whole time at all. I also though it took a little while to get going. And even theIn my opinion one of the most overrated movie of all time. The run time was almost 3 hours and there weren't enough entertaining scenes to keep me into it the whole time at all. I also though it took a little while to get going. And even the action scenes were below par to my standards not awful by any means but not as good as everyone says or as I had hoped for. The one thing it had for it was great visual effects and that is why it even gets up to 5 out of 10 for me. Expand
HighPriestesaMay 18, 2014
Visually it's so stunning and mesmerising, but that's just about it. It's boring, predictable, and too much romeoandjuliettey. More mystery and suspense to it would be a nice touch.
ChrisTaylor94Aug 8, 2014
What a technical aspect, yes it is great. That is it. This is a very cliched movie with nothing new, charismatic at all. The characters were nothing special, and more of the run in the mill archetypes that you expect.

The plotline was also

The plotline was also very standard and the story is very thin.
azeitonaApr 28, 2015
If you remove the special effects, thus, removing the Na'vi and replacing them it by... I don't know, native Americans, you'll notice that this film has already been done. Three or four times. White man saves the "stupid" natives that can'tIf you remove the special effects, thus, removing the Na'vi and replacing them it by... I don't know, native Americans, you'll notice that this film has already been done. Three or four times. White man saves the "stupid" natives that can't look after themselves -which is a paradox, after all, because the movie wants you to feel that the Na'vi are really special and have their ways with nature, but they are defenseless even so. What Avatar has of awesome is the ambiance, the effects are amazing (even though I prefer practical SFX, like Blade Runner, or Alien) and the movie turned 3D into something mainstream. Like what Gone with the Wind made with colored movies. Oh, and the Na'vi language was a nice touch, I read that they spent years creating it. But, if you discount all the artistic achievement, you'll notice that this film has been done before, and this version has a cumbersome plot and cheesy dialogue. It's a fun movie if you decide to leave your brain at the door. But for anyone that saw GOOD films in their lives, Avatar is only mediocre. Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 24, 2015
When his twin brother is killed, disabled ex-Marine Jake Sully is recruited to aid a mining expedition on the distant jungle moon of Pandora as only his DNA will bond with the alien hybrid body, known as an Avatar, that allows humans toWhen his twin brother is killed, disabled ex-Marine Jake Sully is recruited to aid a mining expedition on the distant jungle moon of Pandora as only his DNA will bond with the alien hybrid body, known as an Avatar, that allows humans to breathe the toxic air. With orders to infiltrate the Na’vi, Jake finds himself falling in love with native girl, Neytiri, and complications soon ensue…

Cameron seamlessly melds live action, computer-generated animation and 3-D technology. The motion-capture technique that dazzled in Lord of the Rings reaches a new level of proficiency, enabling more nuance in facial expressions.

But for much of the movie, that hardly matters. The scenes in Pandora — a planet with an Earth-like environment — are so breathtaking that the narrative seems almost beside the point.

An epic battle to drive the Na'vi from their land tests Jake's allegiance. At nearly three hours, the movie grows sluggish, especially during the protracted battle scene.

Overrated but enjoyable.
DanBurritoSep 19, 2015
Avatar is a visual treat. But that's the only good thing I can say about it. The world of Pandora is a beautifully rendered world that's so brilliant looking you wish the movie's story was that good. But it's not. We've seen the entire movieAvatar is a visual treat. But that's the only good thing I can say about it. The world of Pandora is a beautifully rendered world that's so brilliant looking you wish the movie's story was that good. But it's not. We've seen the entire movie before- Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, etc. I don't get why you'll pan some movies for being "great to look at but the story wasn't very good" when you acclaimed this despite having the same problem. The film just tries too hard to be smart but the only reason to watch it is to look at the pretty colours. Seriously, is this REALLY the same guy who made Terminator? Expand
phAtBenJNov 25, 2012
Avatar is no doubt my least favorite film of all time for one simple reason: it is everything wrong with Hollywood. Over-budgeted production cost, the lure of 3D to draw viewers, manipulative characters and political messages, and theAvatar is no doubt my least favorite film of all time for one simple reason: it is everything wrong with Hollywood. Over-budgeted production cost, the lure of 3D to draw viewers, manipulative characters and political messages, and the complete lack of depth in the characters and story plague this beautiful looking film. To say that this film is bad would be a lie, but I despise this film so much due to it's one-dimensional characters and predictable and unoriginal story. James Cameron has done some great work in his career (The Terminator films, Aliens, [and even] Titanic), but Avatar is not among that prestigious list. Avatar only goes to prove that visual effects and action scenes do not guarantee a good film. For example, 12 Angry Men is one of the greatest films ever and it contains no action, CGI, and lacks multiple locations; the entire appeal of the film lies in its strong characters, dialogue, premise, and confrontations. Avatar lacks all these quintessential elements, and therefore suffers. Expand
RaymondS.Jun 18, 2010
Boring, but visually amazing.
3 of 5 users found this helpful
NatDurmanAug 14, 2010
James Cameron has returned from the deep abyss that was Titanic to create something truely remarkable. Avatar is a film shot in digital 3D. However it far suceeds, in terms of techincality, recent films such as Beowulf and UP. It really is aJames Cameron has returned from the deep abyss that was Titanic to create something truely remarkable. Avatar is a film shot in digital 3D. However it far suceeds, in terms of techincality, recent films such as Beowulf and UP. It really is a marvel of architecture. The expressions on the faces of the characters are scaringly un-canny, and the same goes for the environment in which they live in. However all that said, there are some downfalls of this film. For example, the story is extremely thin. It is very easy to get caught up in the beauty of this film, and forget about the cliche full narative, that frankly, if you noticed how bad it was, leaves you feeling like a bit of a sucker. It follows an ex marine called Sam, and is set in the decade of 2050. It starts on board a space ship, that is approaching a fictional planet named 'Pandora'. We later learn that it contains a very valuable substance, and thus why the Americans decide to invade. Sam is chosen, and this is where the 'Avatar' comes in. It is basically a suit that he wears during the time he is in the simulation pod (that allows him to travel to Pandora) it disguises him as one of the 'Na'vi' (the big blue aliens). His goal is to persaude the Na'vi to move away. However in typical fashion he falls in love with one of the indeginous, and we have a classic story. A sort of good cop bad cop scenerio. The good guy being Sam who decides to betray the US and save the Na'vi. The bad guy being an Army General that wants to invade, however he did resemble a character from Toy Soldiers. Without giving away too much, we end up with a happy ending, that like I said earlier, fails to satisfy. However, if you mangage to ignore the story, and just marvel at the CGI, you will be pleased, this is one you have to see on the big screen though, and if you can, see it in 3D. In short it's the cherry without the cake, glamorous but with the essential bits missing. Expand
NF123Aug 11, 2010
Looks good but painfully cliched. I for one would recommend a rent just to see lovely it does really look, but it doesn't take long to find how shallow the charachters truly are