Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: December 18, 2009
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 2953 Ratings
2,118
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
GeorgeJJun 16, 2010
Graphics phenomenal but story sucked. Unubtainium, really? They couldn't have come up with anything better.
19 of 25 users found this helpful
NunoV.Jun 19, 2010
Absurdely overrated. cgi masturbation with a lackluster plot and ridiculous neo-hippie fairy-tale.
23 of 32 users found this helpful
MattN.May 23, 2010
Great visuals and effects, but thats simply all that Avatar has to offer. No story, viciously bad overacting and dialogue older than Sigourney Weaver herself. Very boring and far too long.
28 of 39 users found this helpful
DaltonOJun 14, 2010
Eh, yeah its all 3D, yeah its got allot of special effects and costs allot, yeah its got blue alien boobs, but other than that there is nothing here. Terrible cliche, hole-filled plot leaves you bored. Its kind of amazing how you can have Eh, yeah its all 3D, yeah its got allot of special effects and costs allot, yeah its got blue alien boobs, but other than that there is nothing here. Terrible cliche, hole-filled plot leaves you bored. Its kind of amazing how you can have such a crappy plot and waste 4 hours on it. After you watch it you think its good at first, but that is just an effect from the CGI and 3D. Soon you will realize how lame it is. "the Eywa sees you!" ugg soooo cheesy. Expand
30 of 45 users found this helpful
LostOverThereSep 14, 2010
I legitimately have no idea how this film has been getting so many positive reviews. Someone once said great films were a combination of technical innovation and artistic achievement. While Avatar certainly nails the technical side, it'sI legitimately have no idea how this film has been getting so many positive reviews. Someone once said great films were a combination of technical innovation and artistic achievement. While Avatar certainly nails the technical side, it's artistic half leaves a lot to be desired.

A by-the-numbers cookie-cutter plot with poor writing and awful dialogue.
DJJan 2, 2010
Literally the best movie I have ever seen. I was completely and totally blown away. This is the first movie in my entire life where I didn't want it to end.
18 of 47 users found this helpful
bjmcdonald1991Oct 23, 2013
hurr hurr hurr look at me i use words like mediocre performance and other intelligent sounding words when the only thing i dont like about the movie is that its made the most money ever. Im a rebel i go aqainst what everyone else says just sohurr hurr hurr look at me i use words like mediocre performance and other intelligent sounding words when the only thing i dont like about the movie is that its made the most money ever. Im a rebel i go aqainst what everyone else says just so i can be different from the crowd even though i secretly love this movie hurr hurr hurr Expand
PrivateJokerApr 10, 2014
I think I'm a minority on my stance towards this movie. I don't have mixed feelings about it just to be edgy and apart from everyone else, it just rubbed me a little differently. I was largely absent from all the hype that surrounded it whenI think I'm a minority on my stance towards this movie. I don't have mixed feelings about it just to be edgy and apart from everyone else, it just rubbed me a little differently. I was largely absent from all the hype that surrounded it when it was released: I finally saw the movie towards the end of its theatrical run. With that being said, I had a much clearer perspective on it, seeing it in a theater with maybe 10 other people in it, and I can honestly say after seeing it, it's one of the most overrated movies of all time. For starters, I think the movie takes itself too seriously. At it's core, the plot is essentially an updated version of "Pocahontas" or "Dances With Wolves." I was genuinely entertained for the first half hour, in which you're introduced to the main characters and the setting of Pandora, but then movie started to take another turn. The whole thing was simply overshadowed by this very self-righteous, naturalist message about how we have to take care of the planet. Now don't get me wrong, I care for the environment, but when I feel like I'm watching a $300,000,000 EPA PSA, it kind of ruins the effect of a movie that comes from the director of Terminator 2. Throughout the movie, various other sci-fi elements are taken from movies like the Matrix and Jurassic Park, and subsequently accompanied by video game quality dialogue. In a word -- it's all over the place and just comes off sappy. Rather than a sophisticated narrative geared towards adults, Cameron just decided to go completely Saturday morning cartoon with this one, causing tons of merchandise and distribution out the ass that caters mainly to middle school boys who take garbage like this too seriously. But hey, it has amazing special effects, so I guess the it's saving grace is the familiarity of the director, and that it looks pretty. Expand
A.E.Feb 21, 2010
Superb special effects can't make-up for a predictible plot and so-so acting. See it in 3D at the theater--no need to ever see this movie on the small screen.
PhilB.Feb 6, 2010
I struggle to understand how anyone can be so sucked in by the graphics that they overlook the recycled plot, terrible dialogue and mediocre performances. If indeed it does change cinema forever then it's a sad day for film-making when I struggle to understand how anyone can be so sucked in by the graphics that they overlook the recycled plot, terrible dialogue and mediocre performances. If indeed it does change cinema forever then it's a sad day for film-making when focussing on the 3D is a substitute for trying to make a good film. I'm just thankful I've not met a single person who was "blown away", in fact I don't know anyone who'd award it more than a 7. Expand
KathySApr 8, 2010
Too long, vastly over-rated.
juandDec 20, 2009
Too bad they couldn't afford good writers--the budget was blown on eye candy, but the message is the same old tired anti-Western nihilist propaganda.
DPJan 26, 2010
Getting past the awe of a fast panning 3D environment--which is difficult for many sci-fi junkies--I grade the movie on what we'll think outside of our temporary giddiness. When we come back to this movie, the lack of depth in the Getting past the awe of a fast panning 3D environment--which is difficult for many sci-fi junkies--I grade the movie on what we'll think outside of our temporary giddiness. When we come back to this movie, the lack of depth in the characterization, the weak attempts at philosophy, and the over stated Gia-Green Earth message will not only bore us, it will insult us. Remember Jar-Jar from Starwars Episode 1. We tolerated him on the first viewing, but has made repeated viewings intolerable. Once the shiny green is gone; the movie will be as well--or we'll just stare with pitiful regret at a box on our shelves. Expand
MiKEDec 18, 2009
The special effects, are great. But the movie is nothing more then eye candy, also I found it extermely boring to watch. Small plot with ALOT of filler. See "dances with wolves" and just imagine that being set 200 years into the future and The special effects, are great. But the movie is nothing more then eye candy, also I found it extermely boring to watch. Small plot with ALOT of filler. See "dances with wolves" and just imagine that being set 200 years into the future and that is exactly what you get! There are numerous silly/dump ideas thought out the whole movie. I really enjoyed Camerons movies from the past, But this is the worst one. Expand
BillDec 18, 2009
I have not yet seen it, but does this smack of Hollywoods' attempt to bash the US military again? The timing of Iraq and the making of this film cannot be a coincidence.
zombiehampsterOct 29, 2010
There's a certain something to be said about the power of a visually strong movie like Avatar. It's kinda like a sleazy, but charismatic sales person. You like the person while your in his office, cause he just reeks of charm (or cigarettes)There's a certain something to be said about the power of a visually strong movie like Avatar. It's kinda like a sleazy, but charismatic sales person. You like the person while your in his office, cause he just reeks of charm (or cigarettes) and you buy in to his pitch, cause he's good at what he does, but when you leave the store, you find that you really didn't like the product that much after all. That's kinda how I feel about Avatar. The movie's visuals are amazing and I would say that nothing will be defeating it anytime soon as far as that goes. But when you brush away all that, what you're left with isn't necessarily a bad movie, but an average to ok one. I say this because most of the time I spent watching it was marveling at the amazing visuals that Cameron's team presented us. That part I can't heap enough praise on, but other than that, the story of the movie pretty much comes across as a straight up black and white morality play. I can understand the "it's just a movie" that people may say to that kind of suggestion, but where it doesn't hold up is when you try to pass the movie off as a political/social statement about our society. Nothing in reality is ever black and white, and to do so discredits a lot of what makes us a very complicated, arrogant, and interesting species. Aside from it's horrid attempts to justify why our material world is wrong, the story presents the humans as evil, greedy, and violent; but the Na'vi are peaceful, harmonious, and coexist with nature. Of course the main character ends up going native, finds he likes the tribe more, and then sides with them in the upcoming inevitable bloodbath, and the usual sequence of most big budget movies plays out with no originality whatsoever. Still the movie does entertain, even though it provides a mixed message, and there are some very interesting moments. The real credit to Avatar is the level of thought put into the actual world itself, and here the production/design team did a remarkable job in making Pandora a reality. To me it's a shame that they went for a more simplified story of good and evil as opposed to something more complex and real, but I guess that was never their intention in the first place. It probably wouldn't have been as successful in the theatres if it was. A simple message doesn't mean a bad one, but in this case it was more of a typical one. Expand
USGNov 21, 2011
Other than popularizing 3D, Avatar has nothing else to offer. The story is basic and unbearable at times if not predictable. The only thing that is captivating is the effects and technicality for a short time then it and the dialogue appalls.
TheSuddernatorDec 15, 2011
To sum up a boring film. i mean yeah the cgi, blue alien concept is good but not for 162 minutes. I was frustrated with the fact that james cameron thought it would be ok just to show off the cgi and leave it to a bunch of 10 year olds toTo sum up a boring film. i mean yeah the cgi, blue alien concept is good but not for 162 minutes. I was frustrated with the fact that james cameron thought it would be ok just to show off the cgi and leave it to a bunch of 10 year olds to create a shabby story with more action scenes than all 3 transformers in a row. im not saying its a bad film, not by any means as i suppose the cgi and idea of pandora is well thought of, its just very boring after you realise that the cgi concept is all your going to see in this 2 and a half hour marathon of a film. Expand
NikolayGDec 19, 2014
Kids will like this movie better than adults because the story is very hackneyed and cliched. Any adult will have seen it several dozen times already, so to see it again, in a long drawn out overly long movie, is as tedious as he!!. But kidsKids will like this movie better than adults because the story is very hackneyed and cliched. Any adult will have seen it several dozen times already, so to see it again, in a long drawn out overly long movie, is as tedious as he!!. But kids who have never seen any version of this story before, might like it. The story lacks any nuance. The good guys are the indigenous people without technology who worship a tree. The bad guys are the people from earth, who have lots of technology and calmly drink coffee in their helicopters while they blow the primitive people to smithereens from the air. Like someone else said, it is a 3 hour public service announcement. And it lacks any kind of character development.

And by late 2014 standards, the effects - the blue people - look absurdly fake and cartoonish. I can't believe today that people were impressed by this just a few short years ago. It is a visual joke.
XposureAug 5, 2012
When I decided to begin watching Avatar, I was expecting a great movie, but that's simply not what was revealed before my eyes. The only truly good thing I can say about it, is that it's got some pretty impressive visuals. The rest of theWhen I decided to begin watching Avatar, I was expecting a great movie, but that's simply not what was revealed before my eyes. The only truly good thing I can say about it, is that it's got some pretty impressive visuals. The rest of the movie is more or less average. Expand
NdiAug 18, 2013
You know how some movies and series are all story and no special effects, and they are still awesome, like Dr Who, and Red Dwarf, and animation. Well, Avatar is the exact opposite. A tech demo of what budget can do in this day and age, butYou know how some movies and series are all story and no special effects, and they are still awesome, like Dr Who, and Red Dwarf, and animation. Well, Avatar is the exact opposite. A tech demo of what budget can do in this day and age, but that is it.

Lame recycled story, copied scenes, it's like someone cut some scenes from other movies and re-animated them on a PC with blue people.

The only redeeming quality of the story, frankly, is the fact that the humans are somewhat accurately portrayed. Villains, but not idiotic unexplained villainy, but a nice blend of excusable and inexcusable.

This is a movie that is seen, not understood. Eye candy, and not a very good one at that. The people are blends of 2 Earth animals, the animals are blends of 2 Earth animals, basically, it's just a jungle people story with cream on top.

Under no circumstances is this movie a high scorer. Tech demo, 10. Movie, 5 because of the experience. Seriously, if seeing a movie on a small 2D screen makes it sucky, then it was sucky to begin with.
OplindenfepAug 10, 2013
This is Pocahontas in space, literally look it up, it's the same plot just with different character names and it's in space. Moreover, it has numerous plot holes and makes the natives out to be perfect, when they are not. The largest andThis is Pocahontas in space, literally look it up, it's the same plot just with different character names and it's in space. Moreover, it has numerous plot holes and makes the natives out to be perfect, when they are not. The largest and most glaring plot hole was the ending, when the spirit of the plant life or something brought in all the wild animals to attack the humans, even when the entirety of the preceding movie explicitly said on numerous occasions that this does NOT happen ever, for any reason. The second being 'Unobtainium', the stupidest sounding plot device ever and a large deposit just happens to be under a tree that the natives live in. Despite the numerous sub-surface mining techniques available, the CEO or whoever decided to just attack the natives for no reason, just to show the contrast between the 'perfect' natives and the 'evil' humans (white people). This movie is anti-colonialism, clearly, but it's so one-sided it's not even funny.

Really, this is just James Cameron's attempt to create his own Fursona. The single most expensive piece of self-insert Mary-sue furry fanfiction ever created, and people treat it like it's some sort of iconic movie.

People think this is good because it's pretty, but once you look past the glamour and see this from an objective perspective, you can see that this is bad. A rip off of Pocahontas. 3-D is a stupid gimmick anyway, they should knock that off.

For reasons so blatantly obvious most people miss it.
MrGman2142Aug 17, 2013
Best movie of all time, since i have to have 150 characters, here is a long yeah. yyyyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
RayPistSep 27, 2013
A bland, cliched story with average acting and although the special effects are superb, it doesn't stop the film from being a mediocre bore-fest that you'll forget in a couple weeks time.
someguy8896Oct 13, 2013
I have come to call this movie what it is, a cliche and stock character ridden bucket of pure crap fished from the toilet that is Holywood. no effort whatsoever was made to make this anything but a quick cash grab by one of the most worthlessI have come to call this movie what it is, a cliche and stock character ridden bucket of pure crap fished from the toilet that is Holywood. no effort whatsoever was made to make this anything but a quick cash grab by one of the most worthless directors out there next to Michael Bay. all this movie is is a bunch of pretty colors with a story ripped from the likes of Ferngully and Pochahontas. now that may enough for some people but not me. if not for the special effects I would give it 1 Expand
cag11Nov 26, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although it had a good plot, and somewhat decent graphics, the film was hard to sit through. First there was story, then a battle, then story, then a battle, and it kept going on for a while. The acting was okay for the most part, but there was so much CGI that it takes away from the story. Expand
yogesh487Oct 30, 2014
This movie deserves a Oscar in visual effects. that being said this movie fails in both the story and acting(specially neteri).
this movie should be of 2 hours max.
and some times at night every tree glowing with different colors seems
this movie should be of 2 hours max.
and some times at night every tree glowing with different colors seems awful.
and also character development is bad
ingie44Mar 29, 2014
Where are all these good reviews coming from? I dont get it. The plot is horrifically obvious, the acting banal and the film... boring. I mean ye its kinda pretty but oscars? I just dont get it.
RayzorMooseNov 15, 2013
Avatar collides.
With absolutely fantastic special effects and an okay script, Avatar succeeds with blazing success. Good acting, fair dialogue, and astounding visuals. The plot holes are prevalent, but the movie itself is with good execution.
FilmVirtueMar 12, 2014
Like most of James movies, you can expect scenes of amazing animation and believable plots, but Avatar for me was one of the more boring films by Cameron. I know lots of people would disagree, but I expect that, but to be far I also expectedLike most of James movies, you can expect scenes of amazing animation and believable plots, but Avatar for me was one of the more boring films by Cameron. I know lots of people would disagree, but I expect that, but to be far I also expected more from the movie itself. Expand
Meth-dudeMay 17, 2015
The special effects were amazing but the acting performances and the length of the film are the week spots.Sam Worthington tries but he is not good enough to be the main character.
Viper8787Apr 21, 2014
In my opinion one of the most overrated movie of all time. The run time was almost 3 hours and there weren't enough entertaining scenes to keep me into it the whole time at all. I also though it took a little while to get going. And even theIn my opinion one of the most overrated movie of all time. The run time was almost 3 hours and there weren't enough entertaining scenes to keep me into it the whole time at all. I also though it took a little while to get going. And even the action scenes were below par to my standards not awful by any means but not as good as everyone says or as I had hoped for. The one thing it had for it was great visual effects and that is why it even gets up to 5 out of 10 for me. Expand
HighPriestesaMay 18, 2014
Visually it's so stunning and mesmerising, but that's just about it. It's boring, predictable, and too much romeoandjuliettey. More mystery and suspense to it would be a nice touch.
ChrisTaylor94Aug 8, 2014
What a technical aspect, yes it is great. That is it. This is a very cliched movie with nothing new, charismatic at all. The characters were nothing special, and more of the run in the mill archetypes that you expect.

The plotline was also

The plotline was also very standard and the story is very thin.
azeitonaApr 28, 2015
If you remove the special effects, thus, removing the Na'vi and replacing them it by... I don't know, native Americans, you'll notice that this film has already been done. Three or four times. White man saves the "stupid" natives that can'tIf you remove the special effects, thus, removing the Na'vi and replacing them it by... I don't know, native Americans, you'll notice that this film has already been done. Three or four times. White man saves the "stupid" natives that can't look after themselves -which is a paradox, after all, because the movie wants you to feel that the Na'vi are really special and have their ways with nature, but they are defenseless even so. What Avatar has of awesome is the ambiance, the effects are amazing (even though I prefer practical SFX, like Blade Runner, or Alien) and the movie turned 3D into something mainstream. Like what Gone with the Wind made with colored movies. Oh, and the Na'vi language was a nice touch, I read that they spent years creating it. But, if you discount all the artistic achievement, you'll notice that this film has been done before, and this version has a cumbersome plot and cheesy dialogue. It's a fun movie if you decide to leave your brain at the door. But for anyone that saw GOOD films in their lives, Avatar is only mediocre. Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 24, 2015
When his twin brother is killed, disabled ex-Marine Jake Sully is recruited to aid a mining expedition on the distant jungle moon of Pandora as only his DNA will bond with the alien hybrid body, known as an Avatar, that allows humans toWhen his twin brother is killed, disabled ex-Marine Jake Sully is recruited to aid a mining expedition on the distant jungle moon of Pandora as only his DNA will bond with the alien hybrid body, known as an Avatar, that allows humans to breathe the toxic air. With orders to infiltrate the Na’vi, Jake finds himself falling in love with native girl, Neytiri, and complications soon ensue…

Cameron seamlessly melds live action, computer-generated animation and 3-D technology. The motion-capture technique that dazzled in Lord of the Rings reaches a new level of proficiency, enabling more nuance in facial expressions.

But for much of the movie, that hardly matters. The scenes in Pandora — a planet with an Earth-like environment — are so breathtaking that the narrative seems almost beside the point.

An epic battle to drive the Na'vi from their land tests Jake's allegiance. At nearly three hours, the movie grows sluggish, especially during the protracted battle scene.

Overrated but enjoyable.
DanBurritoSep 19, 2015
Avatar is a visual treat. But that's the only good thing I can say about it. The world of Pandora is a beautifully rendered world that's so brilliant looking you wish the movie's story was that good. But it's not. We've seen the entire movieAvatar is a visual treat. But that's the only good thing I can say about it. The world of Pandora is a beautifully rendered world that's so brilliant looking you wish the movie's story was that good. But it's not. We've seen the entire movie before- Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, etc. I don't get why you'll pan some movies for being "great to look at but the story wasn't very good" when you acclaimed this despite having the same problem. The film just tries too hard to be smart but the only reason to watch it is to look at the pretty colours. Seriously, is this REALLY the same guy who made Terminator? Expand
marc5477Sep 7, 2015
This movie was all gimmicks and no substance. Designed to be a eye candy for the sake of 3D, it is basically a boring adventure about humanity being unpredictable. The problem is that the fancy 3D and CGI cant keep your attention for longThis movie was all gimmicks and no substance. Designed to be a eye candy for the sake of 3D, it is basically a boring adventure about humanity being unpredictable. The problem is that the fancy 3D and CGI cant keep your attention for long once you are accustomed to it and if you take that out of the movie, you are really left with bad sci-fi flick about "duality." "Human duality" is probably the 2nd most boring subject of a movie behind all the "coming of age" stories. The military and science are once again the bad guys while the aliens are innocent and good. I really dont mind movies that portray humans as bungholes (because frankly, as a society, we are), but its getting old and this movie did not even try to be original. There were no cliffhangers, no interesting characters, dialog was mundane and the plot was predictable. The entire movie could have been done in 15 minutes. Expand
grandpajoe6191Sep 10, 2011
Despite "Avatar"'s heavy plot, Blockbuster king James Cameron impresses us with fantastic visuals and CGI of the Na'vi and human battle scenes in (Le Gasp!) 3D.
phAtBenJNov 25, 2012
Avatar is no doubt my least favorite film of all time for one simple reason: it is everything wrong with Hollywood. Over-budgeted production cost, the lure of 3D to draw viewers, manipulative characters and political messages, and theAvatar is no doubt my least favorite film of all time for one simple reason: it is everything wrong with Hollywood. Over-budgeted production cost, the lure of 3D to draw viewers, manipulative characters and political messages, and the complete lack of depth in the characters and story plague this beautiful looking film. To say that this film is bad would be a lie, but I despise this film so much due to it's one-dimensional characters and predictable and unoriginal story. James Cameron has done some great work in his career (The Terminator films, Aliens, [and even] Titanic), but Avatar is not among that prestigious list. Avatar only goes to prove that visual effects and action scenes do not guarantee a good film. For example, 12 Angry Men is one of the greatest films ever and it contains no action, CGI, and lacks multiple locations; the entire appeal of the film lies in its strong characters, dialogue, premise, and confrontations. Avatar lacks all these quintessential elements, and therefore suffers. Expand
MichaelHJan 21, 2010
I was pleasantly surprised by Avatar. I am usually a pretty good judge of movies from their trailers but the trailer for Avatar is filled with some of the more cliched elements. The CGI effects are marvelous and the realization of the world I was pleasantly surprised by Avatar. I am usually a pretty good judge of movies from their trailers but the trailer for Avatar is filled with some of the more cliched elements. The CGI effects are marvelous and the realization of the world of Pandora is very detailed and persuasive. Having read cynical accounts of the plot as "Dances with Smurfs" I was also surprised by the story which was not exactly the strength of the movie but also didn't detract too much from the movie going experience. I feel a little sorry for people who become deeply attached to this movie and wrapped up in its reality...but on the other hand, I might even consider going to the movie again in the IMAX version. Expand
6 of 8 users found this helpful
P.M.Jan 24, 2010
There's more to a movie than a good plot, and I can't think of any movie that demonstrates this better than Avatar. If everything about a movie was amazing except for the story, I feel you can honestly call it a good movie.
3 of 4 users found this helpful
MichaelDDec 29, 2010
When I first watched this movie I was blown away. It is probably my favourite movie of all-time but then I seen it a second time and I kind of got a bit more bored than the last time I watched it. It's still a great movie though.
TheWhiteMambaMar 18, 2011
Absolutely hands down, the most over hyped/ over rated movie in history. I saw this movie when it came out in theatres and i hated it so much i had to vent as soon as i became a member of metacritic. sure the special effects are good, butAbsolutely hands down, the most over hyped/ over rated movie in history. I saw this movie when it came out in theatres and i hated it so much i had to vent as soon as i became a member of metacritic. sure the special effects are good, but thats not enough to salvage the terrible acting and dreadful script. the entire story is borrowed from other hollywood movies. it disgusts me how much people love this movie. to me this shows just how simple and shallow movie goers are. the aliens were just friggen annoying to listen to and to look at. Ive never fallen asleep in the theater, but this got me pretty close. just a boring, eye candy laced, piece of **** movie. Expand
Iky009May 18, 2013
Great visual effects, film and mounted with a spectacular photography and a magnificent art direction and stunning views, but their enrendo is not the best yet it is still a great movie.
JoshuaB.May 16, 2010
The visuals were amazing, but who cares? The story went nowhere. This movie is quite simply nothing more than heavy-handed environmentalism under the guise of a lackluster alien romance. The acting was atrocious, the characters were dull, The visuals were amazing, but who cares? The story went nowhere. This movie is quite simply nothing more than heavy-handed environmentalism under the guise of a lackluster alien romance. The acting was atrocious, the characters were dull, and the middle three fourths of the movie could have been removed and no plot development would have been lost. These things are the calling cards of terrible movies. Expand
6 of 9 users found this helpful
ryancarroll88Aug 27, 2010
I had heard a lot about "Avatar" before seeing it, and the general complaint from most was the movie's lack of originality. Having seen the movie, I would agree that the premise is nowhere near unique, but to me originality shouldn't be theI had heard a lot about "Avatar" before seeing it, and the general complaint from most was the movie's lack of originality. Having seen the movie, I would agree that the premise is nowhere near unique, but to me originality shouldn't be the basis for judging the quality of a film. More than anything a truly great movie should be striking, and Avatar is precisely that. James Cameron used his budget ($237m) to create one of the most engrossing environments to ever grace the screen, and pushed the 3D technology (which I don't even like) to the limit. The result is pure spectacle; behind me in the movie theater there was a family with three children and throughout the 2 1/2 hours there were constant exclamations of "Wow!" and "Oohh!" I would have been slightly annoyed had I not realized I wanted to say the same things, and for a movie to revert a hardened critic like me to a world of pure escapist wonder, I have to give the film credit. Expand
imthenoobJan 24, 2012
Visually, Its extremely impressive and I was shocked that James Cameron didnt win the oscar for best director because of the visual effects in the film and the ground breaking use of CGI as well. However, The film sucks. The acting isVisually, Its extremely impressive and I was shocked that James Cameron didnt win the oscar for best director because of the visual effects in the film and the ground breaking use of CGI as well. However, The film sucks. The acting is terrible, the plot not only sucks but is a complete rip off of Dances With Wolves, and its incredibly boring (I was only entertained in 3 very short parts in the entire film). Sorry but the visuals can only get you so far in my book and this film just doesnt cut it imo. Expand
BrendanWJan 2, 2010
I wanted to be entertained and I was. The story could use some work though.
2 of 3 users found this helpful
scbrotherFeb 26, 2011
james cameron, stop trying to shoving life lessons down my throat and wow me with visual effects, make a good movie without sam worthington your boyfriend.
SeriouslyNov 13, 2010
Avatar is a great movie, but just how great is it? While I thought it was pretty cool that they based all the air and space craft on ones from the Halo series, the story was a bit of a disappointment. I was never really into Pocahontas orAvatar is a great movie, but just how great is it? While I thought it was pretty cool that they based all the air and space craft on ones from the Halo series, the story was a bit of a disappointment. I was never really into Pocahontas or Ferngully when a was younger, and I was never into old movies like Dancing with Wolves, so the story of Avatar did not really stick out to me. Visually the film was quite enticing with it's colourful scenery, it was not all that interesting because of the story. Avatar had much potential, but I am not so sure it lived up to its potential.â Expand
Spielberg00Aug 23, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. AVATAR (or, as some seem to enjoy calling it, "The Blue People Movie", which really should be THE SMURFS, not this) is an adventurous, intense movie, and the best movie you can think of to be the highest-grossing film, both worldwide and in America. Very few parts of this actually truly ticked me off, but there were a few to name: such as near the ending, when it began to get boring (a habit many creative sci-fi films such as even INCEPTION get into); and when Grace (Sigourney Weaver) died. Expand
Isaac_adhdAug 3, 2012
This film reaches a new level when it comes to both technology and creativity. It´s a really good created alter/reality that will hold your attention with ease during the entire ride. Visuals and atmosphere give this this movie anThis film reaches a new level when it comes to both technology and creativity. It´s a really good created alter/reality that will hold your attention with ease during the entire ride. Visuals and atmosphere give this this movie an absolute a-status. The created world is absorbing your brain so bad that the average story won't bother you even 1 second. This one shines in utter greatness! Expand
DibbHansenJul 18, 2013
Visually, this film dazzles and amazes. Story- this film is an overly preachy and overly long and an overblown film. I really didn't like it at all. My opinion. There you go. Oh and the 3D, made me sick.
HoldenKauslerOct 5, 2014
This is the worst movie i have ever seen. if there was a lower review then 0 then i would have put that. if i got a copy of this movie i would set it on fire and dance on its ashes
IswearimsmartAug 13, 2011
Avatar is an agonizing movie with amazing visuals and incredible use of 3-D and motion capture technology. In the purely technical sense, this film is a masterpiece; however, in terms of story, characters and ability to develop the plot, theAvatar is an agonizing movie with amazing visuals and incredible use of 3-D and motion capture technology. In the purely technical sense, this film is a masterpiece; however, in terms of story, characters and ability to develop the plot, the film fails miserably. Every single character in this film is not only uninteresting but undeveloped. Think about it... what do you REALLY know about Jake or Nyteri? The dialogue is also horrendous. At times my jaw dropped at how uninspired the lines were. "I see you" in particular feels cheesy and overused. Then there is the awful love story. It is without a doubt one of the worst development of a couple I have ever seen in a film. We go from Nyteri HATING Jake to them occasionally nudging each other and laughing to...well them doing under the tree of souls or whatever it's called. I know months have passed in the story, but only 45 minutes have passed to us, and nothing in the film explained or showed how their feelings grew for each other. Giving someone a meaningful look once doesn't count as developing a couple. To top it off, this movie is excruciatingly long. By the time you see it for the second or third time you will be constantly checking your watch. It just won't end! The film could have easily cut 20-30 minutes. While there are a lot of pretty images, the plot and characters are pretty ugly. Expand
StevenMJun 6, 2010
It was fun to watch, but I hated how recycled it is. Great visuals, but James Cameron could have done so much more with the plot line, characters, and general movie. I was disappointed to say the least.
11 of 18 users found this helpful
thomasnoJun 19, 2011
If Pocahontas was a 3D live action film starring blue people, this would be the result.
RaymondS.Jun 18, 2010
Boring, but visually amazing.
3 of 5 users found this helpful
rodericrinehartAug 14, 2010
My only wish is that they would have made the movie an hour longer. You don't want to leave Pandora. What a truly amazing creation of a world and culture.
SusanoSep 2, 2010
First time watching this your not going to have any negative points, as it will win you over with graphical wizardry. And boy, are the graphics good. With very highly realistic environments, seeing it in 3D on the big screen is somethingFirst time watching this your not going to have any negative points, as it will win you over with graphical wizardry. And boy, are the graphics good. With very highly realistic environments, seeing it in 3D on the big screen is something magical. Assessing the film afterwards reveals a highly weak and wooden story that is just holding the film together with the visuals. Though the storyline is utter guff, the 'wow' moments might just make this a great film. Just. Expand
GarethCriticDec 19, 2010
Nowhere near as good as people make it out to be. The storyline is average, the characters aren't very well developed and the acting is poor but, apparently, this doesn't matter to anyone because in these modern times a movie seems to be ableNowhere near as good as people make it out to be. The storyline is average, the characters aren't very well developed and the acting is poor but, apparently, this doesn't matter to anyone because in these modern times a movie seems to be able to get around based on special effects alone and Avatar is a prime example of this. It made a lot of money because it was visually great despite how bad it was a movie. I'm very happy that this crap didn't pick up a Best Picture Oscar, it didn't deserve it. Expand
MrsoandsoApr 9, 2011
this movie is garbage. and whoever thinks that it is the "Best movie of all time" remove the special effects and see how holds up to the title of "best move of all time". as for the special effects... the 3d was good in some parts but overallthis movie is garbage. and whoever thinks that it is the "Best movie of all time" remove the special effects and see how holds up to the title of "best move of all time". as for the special effects... the 3d was good in some parts but overall unnecessary, it could have got by without it. as for story... could be wrapped up in an hour rather then three hours. the action only showed up at the "big battle" at the end other then that it was useless filler. overall: not worth the money or time

(on a side note why did it look like all the aircraft look like it was ripped out of Halo?)
JawsPapi87Aug 10, 2011
Despite almost being a spin off of Dances With Wolves, the ridiculously beautiful visuals, believable and likable characters, and successful good Vs. evil theme makes this movie one of 2009's best
JonathanSMay 29, 2010
This movie has terrible dialogue, poor acting, and a plot an 8 year old could write. Go watch Pocahontas if you want to see this movie; same story, better everything.
10 of 17 users found this helpful
EvinC.Jan 2, 2010
Almost great film. the 3D was too overwhelming. I prefer the the original version of the film. Kudos to Worthington and Cameron.
8 of 14 users found this helpful
NF123Aug 11, 2010
Looks good but painfully cliched. I for one would recommend a rent just to see lovely it does really look, but it doesn't take long to find how shallow the charachters truly are
Patrick94Jan 4, 2013
Most overrated movie in history. The only good thing about Avatar is the visuals. The world is pretty to look at but.. well, there's nothing there. The story is horrible, the characters annoying, and the scenarios they find themselves inMost overrated movie in history. The only good thing about Avatar is the visuals. The world is pretty to look at but.. well, there's nothing there. The story is horrible, the characters annoying, and the scenarios they find themselves in absolutely ridiculous Expand
LarrySMay 26, 2010
A typical piece of American shoot up em sensless piece of trash. Cameron has stolen ideas from a range of films and merged them into a silly unbelievably juvenile plot. Lots of violence and a story with nothing to say. Writing and dialogue A typical piece of American shoot up em sensless piece of trash. Cameron has stolen ideas from a range of films and merged them into a silly unbelievably juvenile plot. Lots of violence and a story with nothing to say. Writing and dialogue are amateurish with characters that seem to be taken from comic books. The only thing that makes this film remotely watchable are the special effects. Movie making at it's worst. Shame on the critics who didn't have the courage to pan this gross waste of money. Expand
9 of 16 users found this helpful
EshanWJun 10, 2010
If story was bit stronger than it would be also great as "The Terminator" However, its a Master Piece.
5 of 9 users found this helpful
SeamusJun 11, 2010
Pieac of crap, vidja games have been doing better worlds for years and they don't cost a trillion dollars. Cameron's worst movie to date, totally predictable.
5 of 9 users found this helpful
NatDurmanAug 14, 2010
James Cameron has returned from the deep abyss that was Titanic to create something truely remarkable. Avatar is a film shot in digital 3D. However it far suceeds, in terms of techincality, recent films such as Beowulf and UP. It really is aJames Cameron has returned from the deep abyss that was Titanic to create something truely remarkable. Avatar is a film shot in digital 3D. However it far suceeds, in terms of techincality, recent films such as Beowulf and UP. It really is a marvel of architecture. The expressions on the faces of the characters are scaringly un-canny, and the same goes for the environment in which they live in. However all that said, there are some downfalls of this film. For example, the story is extremely thin. It is very easy to get caught up in the beauty of this film, and forget about the cliche full narative, that frankly, if you noticed how bad it was, leaves you feeling like a bit of a sucker. It follows an ex marine called Sam, and is set in the decade of 2050. It starts on board a space ship, that is approaching a fictional planet named 'Pandora'. We later learn that it contains a very valuable substance, and thus why the Americans decide to invade. Sam is chosen, and this is where the 'Avatar' comes in. It is basically a suit that he wears during the time he is in the simulation pod (that allows him to travel to Pandora) it disguises him as one of the 'Na'vi' (the big blue aliens). His goal is to persaude the Na'vi to move away. However in typical fashion he falls in love with one of the indeginous, and we have a classic story. A sort of good cop bad cop scenerio. The good guy being Sam who decides to betray the US and save the Na'vi. The bad guy being an Army General that wants to invade, however he did resemble a character from Toy Soldiers. Without giving away too much, we end up with a happy ending, that like I said earlier, fails to satisfy. However, if you mangage to ignore the story, and just marvel at the CGI, you will be pleased, this is one you have to see on the big screen though, and if you can, see it in 3D. In short it's the cherry without the cake, glamorous but with the essential bits missing. Expand
KastianOct 17, 2010
While a beautiful movie to look at, the intense CGI cannot hide the hopelessly derivative story and generally poor acting. While the world of Pandora is nice to look at, it is poorly thought out. All the characters are caricatures of theWhile a beautiful movie to look at, the intense CGI cannot hide the hopelessly derivative story and generally poor acting. While the world of Pandora is nice to look at, it is poorly thought out. All the characters are caricatures of the worst movie stereotypes. We have the badass soldier chick, the angry army commander, the hero who just wants to do the right thing, and the industry crazed maniac.

It took James Cameron 2h 40m to tell a story that Disney managed to tell in half the time.
DerekSJun 17, 2010
Cameron was reminiscent of Michael Bay's dedication to special effects in this incredibly clichéd and (with regards to plot and characters) lackluster film. The characters all filled positions of clichés, leaving nothing Cameron was reminiscent of Michael Bay's dedication to special effects in this incredibly clichéd and (with regards to plot and characters) lackluster film. The characters all filled positions of clichés, leaving nothing unexpected through the entire plot. I found myself predicting lines and events before they occurred, a feat which never leads to a good feeling about a movie. The special effects were phenomenal, but everything else seemed less important. Expand
6 of 12 users found this helpful
PeteGJun 11, 2010
I didn't see Avatar at the cinema - something about it just said to me it would be all style no substance. So I waited until it was released on DVD and bought it a couple of days after it was released, and it sat on the shelf for I didn't see Avatar at the cinema - something about it just said to me it would be all style no substance. So I waited until it was released on DVD and bought it a couple of days after it was released, and it sat on the shelf for several weeks until one quiet evening when there was nothing on TV worth watching. Well, it was exactly as I feared: a visual spectacle with absolutely no substance to back it up. The plot is puerile, derivative and overladen with the kind of crass, heavy-handed environmental messages you'd expect if an eight year old had written the script. Characterisation was paper thin and the actors mostly seemed on auto-pilot, either hamming it up or as wooden as the Na'vi's beloved trees. I'm all for no-brainer entertainment, but frankly I felt insulted. Mr Cameron, spend some of your frankly ridiculous budget on a decent script next time please. The score of 2 is for the admittedly great visuals and entertaining final reel battle only - the rest of the film scores a big fat zero. Expand
5 of 10 users found this helpful
JasonWMay 15, 2010
Cool visuals, but awful acting and a horrendous plot. I couldn't even make it through the entire movie. I walked out of the theater because I was so bored and could predict the entire movie after the first 10 minutes.
3 of 6 users found this helpful
MovieCriticNov 21, 2011
Ok listen for all you bad reviewers: If your not looking for an action movie, go watch a freakin romantic comedy. Thats not this movie. The effects are amazing and stop bring the stupid, childish Pocahontas or whatever into this film. They'reOk listen for all you bad reviewers: If your not looking for an action movie, go watch a freakin romantic comedy. Thats not this movie. The effects are amazing and stop bring the stupid, childish Pocahontas or whatever into this film. They're nothing alike. This movie was rated better then Titanic and has awesome plot and idea and characters that are realistic. Expand
AvatarM.Jun 3, 2010
full points for visual prowess but zero points for plot and originality-the whole time i was watching it i was thinking wow this is a return to my childhood-it's the upgraded Pocahontas! I was waiting for the animals to talk..had they full points for visual prowess but zero points for plot and originality-the whole time i was watching it i was thinking wow this is a return to my childhood-it's the upgraded Pocahontas! I was waiting for the animals to talk..had they spend more time on character development and originality there would have been nothing to criticize. In their defense having an original alien movie would be difficult...after all there are so many alien movies out there. Expand
doorgoJun 19, 2010
Are the visual effects breathtaking? Of course, but it's absolutely unforgivable to give credit to a near scene by scene re-make of Disney's Pocahontas. No one in all of Hollywood could come up with an original script for what was Are the visual effects breathtaking? Of course, but it's absolutely unforgivable to give credit to a near scene by scene re-make of Disney's Pocahontas. No one in all of Hollywood could come up with an original script for what was to be potentially a breakthrough in 3D filming? I refuse to believe there are no ideas left in Hollywood, but obviously you can't get a screenplay made unless it came from a graphic novel or is outright stolen from a previous script(whether it was good or not). It's just a sad shame. Expand
philMay 15, 2010
This movie was a piece of crap. A predictable storyline that plays on some of the most racist character archetypes I've ever seen in a modern film. People say, OMG, the film looks so realistic, who cares about the plot? Yea, so did This movie was a piece of crap. A predictable storyline that plays on some of the most racist character archetypes I've ever seen in a modern film. People say, OMG, the film looks so realistic, who cares about the plot? Yea, so did Jurassic Park, and that film came out 17 years ago, but still managed to have a unique story, with great characters, and a good Aesop. Industries give consumers what we demand. If we are complacent with the tripe they give us, that's all we will get. If all we ask is a film look really good, and nothing else, that's all we will get. A film that looks good, and nothing else. I enjoy seeing films with good stories, and if we don't continue to demand such films, we won't get them. Expand
ThomasG.May 3, 2010
This movie was pretty to look at, but was nothing more. The story was copied and not very good. Besides, the acting was nothing special.
chrisg.May 23, 2010
Cool animation but the anti-american rhetoric was repulsive. Reminded me of a cross between Small Soldiers and The Crucible.
EddyIMay 28, 2010
Well, Avatar Quite possibly the most overhyped movie of all time. Acting is average at best, the plot is unoriginal and was carried out far better in movies released a little over 2 decades ago. However, the visuals are breathtaking, but Well, Avatar Quite possibly the most overhyped movie of all time. Acting is average at best, the plot is unoriginal and was carried out far better in movies released a little over 2 decades ago. However, the visuals are breathtaking, but thats pretty much the best part of this movie. In short, if you're going to spend a decade making a movie might as well give it an original story. Expand
SomeRandoGuyJun 15, 2010
It's ok, not that awesome, but ok. It's long, and it has a lot of good parts. Problem is i'm not a kind of person for this kind of movie, and i was rather bored in a lot of parts. ANother thing i didn't like(my personal It's ok, not that awesome, but ok. It's long, and it has a lot of good parts. Problem is i'm not a kind of person for this kind of movie, and i was rather bored in a lot of parts. ANother thing i didn't like(my personal opinion) was that all the cool characters died and we were left with a blue smurf and his blue gf, reminded me of that song Blue by eifel65(i wonder why). Expand
RansackAug 12, 2010
This is what you call A Great Movie. It will live on as that for a while and perhaps forever. Avatar is spectacular, goofy, and most of all cool. Hopfully Avatar will be remembered for a while, before any other movie takes its place
ArkonBladeAug 21, 2010
another good film from james camron . not as great as id hoped and some people have said but its still worth seeing . the main problems i have with this film is its presented in its trailors as this HUGE action film . when in reality thereanother good film from james camron . not as great as id hoped and some people have said but its still worth seeing . the main problems i have with this film is its presented in its trailors as this HUGE action film . when in reality there really isnt much action till the last 20 min . considering how long it is think they coulda packed abit more in . the story is entertaining although very predictable . the visuals are just out standing pandora really comes to life . the acting is ok i didnt really feel impressed by any one . its a entertaining film that most of the family can sit down and wach and have a fun time . Expand
AmbrosineAug 20, 2010
When I sit down to watch a movie, I'd appreciate not being beaten over the head with political agenda bull. Storyline was not only thin and shallow but also extremely distasteful, and purely immature. To me it felt like liberals vs.When I sit down to watch a movie, I'd appreciate not being beaten over the head with political agenda bull. Storyline was not only thin and shallow but also extremely distasteful, and purely immature. To me it felt like liberals vs. war-mongering conservatives; childish name calling and finger pointing. Again: when I watch a movie, I find it insulting when it's attempting to brainwash me with political agenda whether it be extreme right or left. On to the next point. The distasteful bits would be the fact that we're supposed to cheer for the aliens---While they slaughter human beings. Now this could have worked if say a large portion of the marines rallied together (representing the audience) to protect Pandora, and the bloodthirsty Corporal (and why is he so bloodthirsty? Any reason?) could have his group of evil followers. And at the end, the humans find negotiation with Pandora and 'wisen' up to their ways (because we violent humans are utterly stupid according to the story. Yes, that means you). No, the movie didn't even do that. It gave no room for redemption, and practically insults you on a personal level. Next Point: If the evil business man was really after wealth, he would've stopped the operation to gather ore. He would've gone after the wealth of medical, biological, and sociological knowledge which would have made him insanely more rich than mining would. And finally, there is the point that many people have brought up: It's a total rip-off. Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves, Fern Gully, Aliens, and Storm Troopers have all been brought up which means the storyline is over used. Movie was highly overrated, critics either don't know their sh*t, are politically biased, or are too gutless to truly critique the film. A great big middle finger to the message of the film, and much love to the artists who made such a beautiful world. Shame on those who shallowly rated the film based upon appearances. Expand
OneWhoKnowsJan 4, 2011
If I wanted to watch cartoons I most definitely would watch ROBOT CHICKEN. One or two of my in-laws INSISTED that the characters in this were REAL (not computer generated real but REAL!!!) That is the type of intellectual hooraying for thisIf I wanted to watch cartoons I most definitely would watch ROBOT CHICKEN. One or two of my in-laws INSISTED that the characters in this were REAL (not computer generated real but REAL!!!) That is the type of intellectual hooraying for this gigantic waste of my time that makes me squirm. OK the effects were decent. But I DO NOT watch movies for their effects. The story was adolescent and the "camera work" was marginal at best. Try watching cinema and not a 3d cartoon, you might find your artistic integrity improved. Expand
tycho32Aug 26, 2010
The special effects, CG, and sound were awesome. Beyond the eye candy there is simply nothing here. As other reviewers have stated the story is cliched, and the director was trying to make an obvious political statement. I thought thisThe special effects, CG, and sound were awesome. Beyond the eye candy there is simply nothing here. As other reviewers have stated the story is cliched, and the director was trying to make an obvious political statement. I thought this detracted from the overall story. My wife was predicting plot lines and actor lines, and she never does that. The only part of the story that was not predictable were the huge plot holes throughout the movie. Expand
benjaminavatarSep 2, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best movie have ever saw.
It is cool and grate and fascinating.
How ever give this movie a lover review than 8 is stupid and he don't know nothing about movies.
If i am a criticizer I would give Avatar 110%.
But i give it 10%.
And i can"t wait no longer for the second and the third from the trilogy.
deltapatrickSep 8, 2010
Man when i first went to the theater i though it was going to be great people told me it was one of the best movies of all time so i went and check it out but in the end of the film it turned out to be **** all that was good of the film wasMan when i first went to the theater i though it was going to be great people told me it was one of the best movies of all time so i went and check it out but in the end of the film it turned out to be **** all that was good of the film was the cgi and i dont care for 3d the story was **** the acting was **** the writing was **** the screenplay was **** everything was **** and sadly to say the directing was **** i love james cameron growing up but he has lost his touch Expand
DGDSNNov 6, 2010
This movie gets a few points in my book for amazing special effects, attempting (ironically) an environmental/anti-corporate message, and a handful of exciting scenes. It is otherwise a trite and pointless exercise in box-office money making.This movie gets a few points in my book for amazing special effects, attempting (ironically) an environmental/anti-corporate message, and a handful of exciting scenes. It is otherwise a trite and pointless exercise in box-office money making. Not only is it a pastiche of many other (better) films, but it is dumbed-down and toothless. The black and white morality, hokey 'spiritualism', and PG romance set to horrible adult contemporary music, screams "Disney!".
On a purely technical note, some of the 'camera' work is suspect, especially those 'quick-zooms' or whatever they call them.
I do not recommend this film to anyone above the age of ten.
simplexNov 11, 2010
8 is for the graphics
0 is for the absolute lack of story originality

It's a all visual and no story.
Would not recommend this movie, and am glad I got it for free.
TheGorillaAug 26, 2011
Congratulations to the special effects and the graphics and the 3D! But, the movie itself is so ridiculous and cheesy. It's terrible. James Cameron can't write a good script. This could have been done a lot better. And, honestly, I'm notCongratulations to the special effects and the graphics and the 3D! But, the movie itself is so ridiculous and cheesy. It's terrible. James Cameron can't write a good script. This could have been done a lot better. And, honestly, I'm not interested in watching sequels. Expand
Ruler101Dec 2, 2010
Along with the graphics in this movie i personally think this was a near perfect movie!! The storyline was similar to any like it with the enemy becoming friend but there was more to it i think. Showing the love of earth and others thoughAlong with the graphics in this movie i personally think this was a near perfect movie!! The storyline was similar to any like it with the enemy becoming friend but there was more to it i think. Showing the love of earth and others though money is there. Understanding others before destroying them is more important. Expand
spadenxDec 8, 2011
Easily the most overrated film of all time. Visually it loses its impressiveness rather quickly into the film and while it may look great in 3D, In 2D is rathers boring. Not to mention the film's plot is a rip off of Dances With WolvesEasily the most overrated film of all time. Visually it loses its impressiveness rather quickly into the film and while it may look great in 3D, In 2D is rathers boring. Not to mention the film's plot is a rip off of Dances With Wolves (Seriously check that out). Also the acting is rather disapointing and sometimes terrible. Overall its visually impressive in 3D but thats it. Expand
EmericCJan 10, 2010
Avatar is probably the most beautiful film you'll ever see. The visual effects and the story... it's amazing! James Cameron has created a living world, a world that you'll never forget. The film really caught my heart!
GlennH.Jan 1, 2010
Only thing missing was Mel Gibson and the English (Braveheart). Glad the bad guys were contractors (Blackwater types) and not active duty Marines.
JacobLJan 1, 2010
First off let me make one thing clear, I saw this movie in 2d. Having said that, I thought the movie was still pretty good. Visually the movie looks great and the world of Pandora is gorgeous. Unfortunately, since I wasn't watching it First off let me make one thing clear, I saw this movie in 2d. Having said that, I thought the movie was still pretty good. Visually the movie looks great and the world of Pandora is gorgeous. Unfortunately, since I wasn't watching it in 3d I wasn't as sucked into the world of Avatar as I would've otherwise. As far as plot goes the movie does a nice job. The characters and setting are great and the one guy having two identities keeps things interesting as he struggles to find out who he really is. Also, the story in Avatar Humans vs. Navi is different but at the same time very familiar, which I like. My one criticism is where the movie ends. (SPOILIERS ALERT) I really don't like how the Navi defeat the humans because it feels almost forced in there. A more appropriate ending would be when the Navi set off to fight the humans. As a result, of adding on the climactic battle, the movie was too long for my tastes and started to drag. Avatar is the one movie that everyone should see particulary in 3d. You will be amased at the amount of detail in Pandora and find the plot to be very interesting. If you are a parent, bring your kids because to some extent, Avatar will provide them the same joy that a Star Wars movie would. Expand
ChrisBJan 20, 2010
Amazing movie. I liked it even more the second time. It will revolutionize the way movies are made from now on.