5.5

1. PatC.
    Apr 4, 2007
    The 2nd half is actually a good actioner as the Aliens & Predators take on each other, but it cannot overcome the 1st half setup, which is exceptionally awkward and inexplicably self-defeating on nearly every level.
  2. Darren
    Aug 15, 2004
    Was this too a joke-a-mentary made by Michael Moore? Talk about bad...
  3. Aug 13, 2010
    I thought the movie was pretty good. But the first 2 preds shouldn't have died so easily. But worse was that the pred teamed up with the woman. But the rest was good.
  4. Mar 7, 2011
    This movie will sharply divide fans of Alien and Predator, the plot isn't great but gets the job done, it's surprisingly good action is what will keep you hooked, this is an interesting movie fans of Alien and Predator should watch.
  5. Jun 2, 2011
    As a hardcore fan of both franchises, I thought this film worked. I was surprised with the story and how effectively both species were intertwined in history. I found myself making the connections of all the little details I have noticed over the years in the predecessor films. It was also refreshing to see an old regular like Henrikson join the cast.
  6. Jan 11, 2014
    Not as bad as it could have been. My big issue with AVP is that it is a quick film (90 minutes) and it does little to explain why the Predators use the Aliens for sport.
  7. Jun 21, 2014
    Alien vs. Predator: 5/10: Aliens check; Predators check; Space Marines; umm Space Marines? Okay who took out the Space Marines and put in this fodder.

Some surprise moments and some thrills but not nearly enough and AVP is over way to fast. Everything is speeded up and suspense is simply zero. Both the entire series of Alien movies and the first Predator film depended upon moments of silence to build up the suspense. (Nothing really happens at all of the first hour of Alien for example.)

This movie on the other hand moves so much like a video game you will be reaching for the controller. The Predators look okay but the Aliens are too cartoonish and seem to change size at random.

The plot and the back-story are simply inept. What is wrong with an alien Queen in the New York subway system or Predators fighting in Iraq? Heck putting them in an office block, cruise ship or shopping mall at Christmas would be preferable. (The Predators take out the Orange Julius while the Alien Queen makes her nest in Victoria Secret.)

The fun of aliens on earth is watching them walk into a Seven-Eleven and taking out some customers not fighting in a silly pyramid that could be on any planet in the universe.
  8. Accaris
    Oct 31, 2007
    Even the 1999 videogame would have provided a better story than the schlock in this mind dump of an action film. Delving into the depths of teenage boy fantasy cheese that not even MTV would dare touch, Anderson somehow manages to suck out whatever limited potential remained in an otherwise comedic franchise. Ham fisted action scenes involving Power Rangers-esque movie monsters are the Even the 1999 videogame would have provided a better story than the schlock in this mind dump of an action film. Delving into the depths of teenage boy fantasy cheese that not even MTV would dare touch, Anderson somehow manages to suck out whatever limited potential remained in an otherwise comedic franchise. Ham fisted action scenes involving Power Rangers-esque movie monsters are the order of the day here, surrounded by characters so weak that I started to feel more attached to the fodder crew from Alien Resurrection. Expand
  9. HerbieH.
    Feb 19, 2008
    This was so well thought out, couldn't of done better.
  10. MK
    Aug 16, 2004
    I'm fairly surprised with critics' reviews of this film. I thought the plot was very creative and action scenes were decent. However, actual Alien VS Predator rarely happens. Poorly trained teen predators disappointed me some what. Ending wasn't that great... Other than that this movie was good. I think the hype of Alien VS Predator killed the reviews. The hype which begun I'm fairly surprised with critics' reviews of this film. I thought the plot was very creative and action scenes were decent. However, actual Alien VS Predator rarely happens. Poorly trained teen predators disappointed me some what. Ending wasn't that great... Other than that this movie was good. I think the hype of Alien VS Predator killed the reviews. The hype which begun since Predator 2 was out. I say great come back from the cancelled-movie status. Hopefully second one is progress with better action. Expand
  11. JameyP
    Jan 29, 2005
    Aliens and Predators killing each other. All that you every wanted. That IS the plot. Great Fun.
  12. Robert
    Feb 10, 2005
    We were VERY suprised at just how entertaining this sci-fi movie was - DO BELIEVE THE REVIEWS!!
  13. Mike
    Feb 7, 2005
    Excellent! I thought it was a great movie all together. I was on the edge of my seat. I'm a big fan of both characters (A & P). It may be a weird time frame, but it was a great movie. My friend even baught the DVD because he liked it so much.
  14. JoshR.
    Mar 8, 2005
    Although most people dont like this film i thought it was awesome. Great effects, perfect CGI, awesome storyline and action sequences. Mainly when people see this they think about the old films and how different this one is from them. But if you thimk about it can't be the same because both the alien and predator films are different, i mean, you have the two beasties fighting in a Although most people dont like this film i thought it was awesome. Great effects, perfect CGI, awesome storyline and action sequences. Mainly when people see this they think about the old films and how different this one is from them. But if you thimk about it can't be the same because both the alien and predator films are different, i mean, you have the two beasties fighting in a small tunnel. Most people who comment on films always look for the worst bits instead of the best. I give a huge thumbs up to Paul Anderson. Expand
  15. RandyL.
    Nov 24, 2004
    [***SPOILERS***] This movie had everything in it. I mean maybe some people didn't get it but I sure did. I mean wuts not to get, the pyramid they find is a jail the jail is for the aliens and the predators are the jail guards. I mean when I found out the pyramid was a jail I was stunned. Maybe some of you others weren't but hey I have seen all alien and predator movies and I say [***SPOILERS***] This movie had everything in it. I mean maybe some people didn't get it but I sure did. I mean wuts not to get, the pyramid they find is a jail the jail is for the aliens and the predators are the jail guards. I mean when I found out the pyramid was a jail I was stunned. Maybe some of you others weren't but hey I have seen all alien and predator movies and I say this one takes the cake. Plus when they tell the short story bout the aliens being killers and predators helping humans build the pyramids i was amazed and when has one of those people that look at pryamids told you that people actually made them without help from predators or "aliens".so I rate this movie 10/10 because if you dont get it then you pretty DENSE!!! Expand
  16. DanielO
    Oct 5, 2004
    Alot of people bagged this film pretty harshly, claiming all sorts of rubbish in the process, but when you go to see a film entitled "Aliens Versus Predator" you should know right away that this isn't going to be a film designed to revolutionise the industry! No, this is a film designed to give people a good ride, and it does that. There are several pot holes, the acting isn't Alot of people bagged this film pretty harshly, claiming all sorts of rubbish in the process, but when you go to see a film entitled "Aliens Versus Predator" you should know right away that this isn't going to be a film designed to revolutionise the industry! No, this is a film designed to give people a good ride, and it does that. There are several pot holes, the acting isn't oscar worthy and certain things could have been done better, but all in all this was a thoroughly enterataining film. It does it's best not to get in the way of either mythology and stay completely self contained and presents the audience with lots of good battles and impressively designed special effects (no Star Wars episode1 like over the top CG) that make the experience worthwhile. It's no masterpiece, but you get what you pay for in my opinion and that is a clash between to feirsome monsters! Expand
  17. BobbyS.
    Aug 14, 2004
    A fairly good movie that doesn't deserve the flack that it's taking. Sadly, I knew it was doomed critically from the begining because of the fact that fans have been waiting for the movie for so long. There was no way, no matter who the director was, that this movie could please the fans. Oh well. I enjoyed it, and would see it again in a heart beat.
  18. TonyC.
    Aug 14, 2004
    AVP is a solid action movie, fun to watch and fast paced. The movie relied a bit too much on action and forgot to add in character development, but then it was a movie about two species of scary aliens fighting..... Still it would have been nice if the humans had a bit more important of a role. There were also some continuity flaws with the other movies. Even with it's flaws it is AVP is a solid action movie, fun to watch and fast paced. The movie relied a bit too much on action and forgot to add in character development, but then it was a movie about two species of scary aliens fighting..... Still it would have been nice if the humans had a bit more important of a role. There were also some continuity flaws with the other movies. Even with it's flaws it is worth seeing. The action is good, lots of funny campy lines, go see it if you are looking for a romp. Expand
  19. RonaldC.
    Aug 16, 2004
    This is the only exciting movie throughout this year on my point of view, it's amusing to see the two alien races battle each other. Has a sense of being freaked out while watching the movie. Incredible movie for fans that wants a worth buying ticket to spend
  20. 'YoMamma
    Aug 16, 2004
    Ignore all bad reviews, this is the real deal. people must be morons to bash this flick.
  21. KL.
    Jan 3, 2008
    Exactly as the title say... "alien vs. predator", and that was really all this movie amounted to. I think there should have been more to this film than just two space aliens fighting it out. I think most people of 18 years or older would not get off on the idea of the alien fighting the predator which seems to be the primary selling point of the film... A Vs. P, and most are too mature for that.
  22. DanielJ.
    Oct 22, 2004
    I am a fan of the predator but i personally wanted alien to win (good how they ended it eh? so you cant really say who won) and most people should realise before they even see a film like this that it would have been hard to make a plot to connect the two charcters, so with that in perception i think they QUITE good. overall the film did what i was expecting it to do...IT ENTERTAINED ME! I am a fan of the predator but i personally wanted alien to win (good how they ended it eh? so you cant really say who won) and most people should realise before they even see a film like this that it would have been hard to make a plot to connect the two charcters, so with that in perception i think they QUITE good. overall the film did what i was expecting it to do...IT ENTERTAINED ME! (if you were expecting a classic masterpiece full of exellent acting you need to think seriously about your knowledge of films). Expand
  23. JackB.
    Aug 13, 2004
    Aliens vs. Predator could very well be the sleeper hit of the summer season. Filled with action, suspense, and a great performance by Lance Henrikson, the film really does justice to the two beloved and iconic franchises upon which it is based. Alien vs. Predator is a great movie.... FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  24. AllenL.
    Jan 21, 2008
    I thought Alien VS predator had awesome plots and scenes like ,come on, who doesn't want to see predator recreated into the new world of Amazing Special effects? But some parts were lacking and could have been recreated better by a 2 year old in 2 minutes. I give it a firm 8 and no less and no more.
  25. Jul 22, 2011
    im a huge AVP fan in terms of the games on the PC and jagaur and i the comic from the 90's . so a movie would seem natural and be a great idea . the problem starts off first with it taking half the movie to even start . it trys to build the charicters up abit so i guess we will care about them but lets face it we went to see this to see the aliens and the predators kick some ass. first offim a huge AVP fan in terms of the games on the PC and jagaur and i the comic from the 90's . so a movie would seem natural and be a great idea . the problem starts off first with it taking half the movie to even start . it trys to build the charicters up abit so i guess we will care about them but lets face it we went to see this to see the aliens and the predators kick some ass. first off this should have been set in the far future and in space with the colonial marines . instead we are in antarctica which all be it not a bad setting since we are getting a secluded no escape place . the action between the aliens and the predator was actally pretty good and there are some amazing looking action sequenses . though just not enough there . in the end its kinda mediocore but i didnt think it was terrable atleast. Expand
  26. Nov 19, 2011
    It was decent. I was a bit disapointed that the plot wasnt thought out more and it didnt have that many confrontations between the Aliens and Predators either. I dont think I would recommend this to any one.
  27. May 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So they wanted to make the most feared thing in the universe look like pansies? Ya right. two of the damn predators die in the first 30 min! I know they are apparently kids and all, but damn, they are still predators. Expand
  28. Oct 7, 2011
    The only (and little) good thing in AvsP is probably the respectives mythologies of the two legendary franchises. But direction and interpretation are both deplorable; if I want to see a fight as the one between the two creatures in AvsP, I can see professional wrestling at TV.
  29. Jun 9, 2013
    Probably the biggest disappointment of all time. Very little Alien/Predator encounters and when there were they weren't well done at all. Just one heaping pile of trash.
  30. Feb 18, 2012
    This movie had so much potential, and it was ruined by bad acting, story, effects and everything. Where is the interspecies deathmatch all us nerds hoped for? Don't watch this, it is a trashy 90 minutes of your life!
  31. Apr 2, 2012
    The movie was horrifying in a really bad way. There is some of the worst acting i have ever seen in this film. The action is completly pointless and pitiful. Why did someone make this movie. A disgraceful movie on every level. Please tell me this was a joke.
  32. Feb 20, 2013
    Bad...Basically every aspect of it...I waste no time to review this thing, you should not waste time watching it!
  33. May 27, 2013
    It's horrible. I hate that Xenomorph and Predator fighting like Professional wrestling. This is like Terminator 3, hot sexy woman T-X fighting like Terminator 3. It was horrible. Even the T-X was male like body builder fighting like pro-wrestlers, I wouldn't like it. I just wanted human trying to survive from Alien and Predator. I didn't want Alien and Predator fight. I used to loveIt's horrible. I hate that Xenomorph and Predator fighting like Professional wrestling. This is like Terminator 3, hot sexy woman T-X fighting like Terminator 3. It was horrible. Even the T-X was male like body builder fighting like pro-wrestlers, I wouldn't like it. I just wanted human trying to survive from Alien and Predator. I didn't want Alien and Predator fight. I used to love Xenomorph, but now they look unrealistic. They look like the man is inside the costume. They walk like a human, their leg is too long, their body is like a human. I really liked the Alien looked little like Xenomorph from Prometheus. My favorite monsters are from Metro 2033.

I also, hated the huge giant Xenomorph. I hate monsters, robots that are tall as tower. Like Godzilla, Transformers. I like monsters, size of Velociraptor.
  34. WilliamM.
    Aug 14, 2004
    I never expected much, i wasn't expecting a puzzling or perplexing plot. in many ways, i didn't get it. but honestly i did get what i went for. some times you just need a movie where there is no plot there is just some action and killing, thats what i came for, i didn't go for a horror, i didn't go for an action movie, i just wanted good ol' plotless suspense I never expected much, i wasn't expecting a puzzling or perplexing plot. in many ways, i didn't get it. but honestly i did get what i went for. some times you just need a movie where there is no plot there is just some action and killing, thats what i came for, i didn't go for a horror, i didn't go for an action movie, i just wanted good ol' plotless suspense thriller, and i thouroughly enjoyed, relaxing my mind for a bit. Expand
  35. Mr.Pants
    Aug 14, 2004
    Thank you, Mr. Anderson, for taking a dump on two great movie villains and calling it a movie. I don't think an "R" rating would have made this any better.
  36. JoshW.
    Aug 16, 2004
    The three goes to Lance and some of the technicians on the film. After all, the sound guys and gaffers deserve credit too. As for the rest of the movie. Well I went in with low expectations as far as strory quality were concerned. As soon as I heard that it was set in our times I was dissapointed but still hoping for some kind of pure mind fodder. By the end it hurt. Why not for example, The three goes to Lance and some of the technicians on the film. After all, the sound guys and gaffers deserve credit too. As for the rest of the movie. Well I went in with low expectations as far as strory quality were concerned. As soon as I heard that it was set in our times I was dissapointed but still hoping for some kind of pure mind fodder. By the end it hurt. Why not for example, just burrow the original Predator custume that Stan Winston made more than a decade ago. At least that one looked good. This Predators face looked like a cross between the original and the Joker's forced smile in Tim Burton's Batman. While they were at it they should have borrowed Winston's Queen Alien as well. I never though that the day would come when one of these movies actually made Alien:Resurection look good by comparison. Expand
  37. MarcD.
    Aug 18, 2004
    I don't understand why so many people are bashing the show. The film may not be 100% faithful to the original films they were based on...but this is a very commendable effort. An entertaining show which left me smiling at particular scenes. People need to lighten up.
  38. MarcD.
    Aug 18, 2004
  39. JasonC
    Aug 20, 2004
    The choice of director was a major setback for this film, and I was expecting absolute crap. Thankfully it *marginally* exceeded my expectations. Little horror or real tension is to be found and the atmosphere is dissapointingly scant. It takes itself a bit too seriously considering the context of the plot and characters, and it contains many a scene that lead to laughter instead of the The choice of director was a major setback for this film, and I was expecting absolute crap. Thankfully it *marginally* exceeded my expectations. Little horror or real tension is to be found and the atmosphere is dissapointingly scant. It takes itself a bit too seriously considering the context of the plot and characters, and it contains many a scene that lead to laughter instead of the desired shock etc. In fact near the end, a plot twist of sorts (ie. the "aliance" for those who have seen it) was absurdly ridiculous. Not unjustifiable with regards to the mythos, just that it was embarassing to watch. More explicitly (without spoiling anything), I DID NOT appreciate the attempt to humanize the predators. I Found the movie was tied too closely to our reality. Where's the Giger style Gothic alien environments? or the sense of being enveloped in something completely "alien"? -which certainly should be the case if what we're dealing with is some sort of obscure alien hunting ritual. Plot wise it succeded were it needed to by linking the two species together; but who cares seeings as the previous movies where all about tension, fear and that which we dont (and can't) comprehend. Blah. It never had a chance of living up to the Alien legacy -that's a given- but from a Predator stand point, if nothing else the dialogue should have been a bit wittier and delivered with more conviction (ie in the "I don't have time to bleed" sort of way). So my end recommendation is to not see it in the theater unless you like to roll up $20 bills and smoke em. Inform yourself about the director and make sure your expectations are adequately low. Go in expecting a comic book style sci-fi action movie with much cheese and unintentional laughs. Then *maybe* you (and by 'you' I mean males in their teens and above) will be MILDLY pleased with the movie. Which was the case with me. Expand
  40. Larry
    Aug 29, 2004
    Not as bad as everyone says.
  41. MikeZ.
    Jun 1, 2005
    This movie was not very good. The story, crap, the FX, crap, and the camra angeles, crap. But I liked it. And it was cool to see aliens and preditores kill each other. They should have just abandon the story and just have aliens and preditores beating the living s... out of each other.
  42. MichaelM.
    Oct 21, 2004
    Great special effects can hardly make up for the poor acting and cheap philosophy the film constantly potrays.
  43. DavidS
    Aug 14, 2004
    Not a bad movie if you're not expecting the second coming. I don't know what people mean when the say it killed the franchise ... Alien parts 3 and 4 accomplished that for me years ago. And this wasn't nearly as bad as them. Aliens are back to their (mostly) non CGI roots, and it looks really good. Finally a movie with Aliens (since ALIENS) that doesn't suck.
  44. AlanB.
    Aug 14, 2004
    This was better than I expected, after all how much milage can you get from monster fight scenes?The story followed the time honored hollywood formula for action -adventure movies, and delivered about one and a half hours of decent entertainment.
  45. JesseF.
    Aug 14, 2004
    Horrid, godawful, a wasteful pile of trash for anyone who actually has any knowledge of the Alien or Predator franchises. From the Predator's killing of unworthy defenseless targets to the worst CG-Aliens I've ever seen, this movie HAD six different kinds of potential, and pathetically failed on all of them. Come to see the two under 10-second poorly shot snippets of AvP action; Horrid, godawful, a wasteful pile of trash for anyone who actually has any knowledge of the Alien or Predator franchises. From the Predator's killing of unworthy defenseless targets to the worst CG-Aliens I've ever seen, this movie HAD six different kinds of potential, and pathetically failed on all of them. Come to see the two under 10-second poorly shot snippets of AvP action; stay to be disgusted by the "kissing scene" between human and Predator. Anyone who enjoys this movie either has tremendously low standards, or loved it simply because it had the iconic superbeasts; to me it will go down as a mind-numbingly awful tribute to what might and should have been. Expand
  46. DeanK
    Aug 14, 2004
    There were some pretty impressive parts to the movie. The overall plot and story that the huamans almost fucked everything up by taking the cannons. The whole thing about predators shaping humanity. Some of the battles were pretty damn good. AND YET how can someone say the aliens were "the worst CG-Aliens I've ever seen" ?? They looked great, the movement was fluid. And Cameron S There were some pretty impressive parts to the movie. The overall plot and story that the huamans almost fucked everything up by taking the cannons. The whole thing about predators shaping humanity. Some of the battles were pretty damn good. AND YET how can someone say the aliens were "the worst CG-Aliens I've ever seen" ?? They looked great, the movement was fluid. And Cameron S needs to realize, the Mayans were using a metric system before Napolean. And if the story line of the movie had been tru, since they influenced all cultures, wouldnt that have influenced Napolean. Even though Napolean DID NOT create the metric system. Expand
  47. Smoke55
    Aug 15, 2004
    It had potential, but failed miserably to capitalize. The action scenes were shot too close to make them exciting. Most of the actual AVP action was shots of the predator running away while the queen followed. They should have either made it an all-out action fest, or went camp like Freddy v. Jason. They did neither. Instead, they tried to make a tense suspens-drama but failed to add any It had potential, but failed miserably to capitalize. The action scenes were shot too close to make them exciting. Most of the actual AVP action was shots of the predator running away while the queen followed. They should have either made it an all-out action fest, or went camp like Freddy v. Jason. They did neither. Instead, they tried to make a tense suspens-drama but failed to add any character development, personality, or anything resembling a plot. Rent Kill Bill instead. Expand
  48. RickG.
    Aug 16, 2004
    Ever left a movie asking yourself, "Now what the hell was THAT all about?" That's the feeling I had at the end of AVP. In vain did I try to find any redeeming value with this dreck. Stupid ideas. Bad directing. Forgettable dialogue and characters. Dark sets that leave the viewer wonder what's going on half the time. AVP is based on a stupid premise even a competent director Ever left a movie asking yourself, "Now what the hell was THAT all about?" That's the feeling I had at the end of AVP. In vain did I try to find any redeeming value with this dreck. Stupid ideas. Bad directing. Forgettable dialogue and characters. Dark sets that leave the viewer wonder what's going on half the time. AVP is based on a stupid premise even a competent director couldn't save and only a pseudo scientist like Erik Van Daniken could love. It's bad enough the idea for the movie was stupid to begin with, but then we are tortured with director/writer Paul W.S. Anderson's terrible directing for an hour and forty minutes. Franchise fans looking for a good smack down between the two iconic sci-fi monsters will be sorely disappointed. Thanks to the dark sets of the movie and Anderson's bad direction it's really difficult to see, much less care, what is going one when the Aliens and Predators do finally fight it out. I haven't been this disappointed in a monster smack down on film since I saw "Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman." In that monster smack down Frankenstein and the Wolfman get into a fight that doesn't even get a minute of screen time, and then they are promptly washed away by an exploding dam. At least the viewer can SEE that fight. One other thing about AVP I couldn't help but notice. Most of the movie takes place on and underneath the frozen ice of Antarctica and yet I don't recall ever seeing the breath of one of the actors. I watched AVP with a mounting sense of gloom, realizing I was seeing what will be a punch line for bad movies for decades to come. As the Predator's ship made its getaway from Earth, with absolutely no impact on the audience in attendance at the screening I attended, I wanted to start a chant of "Golden Raspberry! Golden Raspberry! Golden Raspberry!". AVP will definitely make a lot of "worst movie" of the year lists for 2004. Expand
  49. TonyT
    Aug 16, 2004
    If i was to rate this movie on an absolute scale (not comparing to any other movie), I would give it a 3. Compared to other movies, I would have to give it a 1, only because there have been worse. I'm trying to think of something good to say about it, but nothing comes to mind. Well, maybe the first scene when she gets to the top of the ice climb.
  50. AdrianW.
    Aug 16, 2004
    Obviously filmed to get the cash to film the movie that this one should have been. Too short too cover the topic effectively and too contrived for anyone to care.
  51. AlexaR.
    Aug 17, 2004
    It was horrible,total waste of my precious time. Don't see.
  52. IanR
    Aug 22, 2004
    My advice is to give this a miss and wait for the DVD. Paul Anderson has stated that this is a horrible movie because all the best bits were cut out. The studio changed their requirement to a PG-13 only 3 WEEKS before the release date and as such the entire flow of the script was disrupted. The DVD will have the Director's Cut and this will explain away the inconsistencies, the My advice is to give this a miss and wait for the DVD. Paul Anderson has stated that this is a horrible movie because all the best bits were cut out. The studio changed their requirement to a PG-13 only 3 WEEKS before the release date and as such the entire flow of the script was disrupted. The DVD will have the Director's Cut and this will explain away the inconsistencies, the failings in the story and all the deaths will happen ON-SCREEN! Whatever you do though, don't go to see this and then bitch about Paul Anderson being the wrong choice of director, it isn't his film at the theatres and the guy tried his hardest to make a film for the fans. Give him a break. Expand
  53. PP
    Aug 26, 2004
    This movie was a slap in the face of the Alien and Predator franchises. Even for action films, those orginal movies had some semblance of personality built into them. This movie was just a poor excuse to throw some guys in some cool looking rubber suits. Why waste our time and money with this garbage? Halloween is just around the corner.
  54. KenG.
    Aug 20, 2004
    First things first: it's not Alien, it's not Predator, the dialogue is corny, the humans are interchangeable and you can drive a hummer through the plot holes. That said, this is an entertaining, rock'em sock'em face-off between the baddest creatures in the universe, even though they were confined with a PG-13 rating (gotta get those kids in for bigger bucks, right Fox?).
  55. ColinW.
    Aug 30, 2004
    Imagine a film with no original ideas of any kind. Yet still gets nothing right. Woeful dialogue, terrible acting, worse direction- whoever wins, the viewing public lose.
  56. MarkC.
    Aug 30, 2004
    I saw the new Exorcist movie (horrendous) right after AVP and this seemed like Academy Award material by comparision. Still not much more than mindless summer fluff!
  57. DanW
    Sep 22, 2004
    Sigourney Weaver refused point blank to participate in this film stating that it "Devalued the franchise." We really should have listened. Those looking for an interesting plot that would satisfy the ending to both Predator 2 and Alien: Ressurection (both pretty disappointing) had better stay away. Those looking for fan-boy style guts, gore, slime and the horrendously constant "Whoever Sigourney Weaver refused point blank to participate in this film stating that it "Devalued the franchise." We really should have listened. Those looking for an interesting plot that would satisfy the ending to both Predator 2 and Alien: Ressurection (both pretty disappointing) had better stay away. Those looking for fan-boy style guts, gore, slime and the horrendously constant "Whoever wins, we lose" theme, this is your movie. Only view on pain of death. Expand
  58. ShawnO.
    Sep 20, 2004
    I never thought I would see the day, that I'd say Freddy vs Jason is a better movie than AVP. First off, if your going to make a movie about R rated characters, make a R rated movie. And I don't know if its just me but ever since Saving Private Ryan came out, hollywood thinks every fight scene or huge battle has to have frantic, multiple way too close, out of focas camera shots. I never thought I would see the day, that I'd say Freddy vs Jason is a better movie than AVP. First off, if your going to make a movie about R rated characters, make a R rated movie. And I don't know if its just me but ever since Saving Private Ryan came out, hollywood thinks every fight scene or huge battle has to have frantic, multiple way too close, out of focas camera shots. Spielberg used this to add to the realism and confusion of war seen by the solders themselves at the time. If a alien and a predater fight, I want to see the battle unfold, not bits and pieces of not being able to tell whats going on! The movies not bad, but just not near what it could of been. Expand
  59. ColemanC.
    Sep 3, 2004
    Increible!! fantastic film!!! I haven't words.
  60. JamesM
    Sep 4, 2004
    Considering how bad this movie *could* have been, I think it was very good. There needed to be about 20 more minutes of exposition and character development, so that we cared more about the characters. I also wish they ahd done more with Lance Henriksen and the Weyoand Corporation. The way they approached the whole "original culture" thing would have given even Eric von Daniken the Considering how bad this movie *could* have been, I think it was very good. There needed to be about 20 more minutes of exposition and character development, so that we cared more about the characters. I also wish they ahd done more with Lance Henriksen and the Weyoand Corporation. The way they approached the whole "original culture" thing would have given even Eric von Daniken the willies, but any deeper, and it would have lost most of the viewers. Plus, a couple of the battles had too much "quick cut" strobe style action that, while nice for the Nintendo set, left the rest of us simply confused. One thing that was done very well, though, was that the Predators and Aliens were advanced costumes and/or puppets, not CGI -- that gave it a much better sense of realism. The Predator ships were fantastic. Overall, it was fun, and that was all that I expected. Expand
  61. Brian
    Sep 6, 2004
    Simply an insult to all AvP fans...
  62. PX
    Sep 8, 2004
    Simply amazing and uncanny.
  63. DouglasH
    Jan 29, 2005
    Way to wreck the franchises Paul W Anderson. You Suck!!!!! Every movie you Direct sucks!!!!
  64. JackH.
    Jan 5, 2005
    I say the movie is excellent in every way, perfect fx and perfect story.
  65. BrettS.
    Feb 17, 2005
    Could've been better, but all in all a decent action movie.The dominant human is an African American woman! You go,girl !! A great example of expanding roles for women. This film should get credit for that. And for CGI Predators and Aliens. The special effects are amazing,and that's why we watch this kind of film anyway. Not for the acting.
  66. BubbaFresh
    Feb 1, 2005
    Story REALLY sucked. Could not have possibly made less sense. The fights were kinda interesting to watch, but they're only a few and they take about 10 min to watch. Special features suck as well. Bottom line Don't listen to the people who gave this a 10 and If you see Anderson, tell him he ruined what could have been a good action movie.
  67. Ryencoke
    Feb 19, 2005
    This movie was horrible. Paul W.S. Anderson is now the 2nd worst director in the buisness. Uwe Boll being first. Now, this movie would have been awesome if it wasn't PG-13. There was no a single 'Aliens', or 'Predator' movie that was Rated unter R. The whole series was rated R. Than come they come up with this crap? Idiot. That is the only word I can say. An This movie was horrible. Paul W.S. Anderson is now the 2nd worst director in the buisness. Uwe Boll being first. Now, this movie would have been awesome if it wasn't PG-13. There was no a single 'Aliens', or 'Predator' movie that was Rated unter R. The whole series was rated R. Than come they come up with this crap? Idiot. That is the only word I can say. An absolute Idiot. Expand
  68. RichieB.
    Feb 7, 2005
    Entertaining. Don't take it seriously and you'll have fun.
  69. BrianS
    Feb 8, 2005
    Read a lot of reviews, bought the movie anyway and was very pleased. For those of you who were expecting Shakespear ... YOUR FAULT! It's a sci-fi action flick and a pretty decent one at that. Decent effects and story certainly worth the time to watch!
  70. MikeJ
    Feb 8, 2005
    This movie proves a collosal misfire. The dreadful premise is enough to make you claw your own eyes out, but what's worse is the riduiculous rasta-looking characters that parade around the set with surreal motives and an incredibly silly disposition.
  71. RyanK.
    Mar 10, 2005
    "ALIEN VS. PREDATOR" is not the best, but it sures knocks out other 2004 flops and manages to please people who don't watch the past predecessors, still very good!
  72. AaronA.
    Mar 24, 2005
    I am a HUGE predator fan and think that the crab faced hunter has been portrayed beautifully in this flick. Although i am not much of an alien fan when these two species collide all hell brakes loose and even tho the story is great you really dont care when youre witnessing a predator slice off the face of an alien, its that damn good. the 2 disc extreme edition dvd is one of the most I am a HUGE predator fan and think that the crab faced hunter has been portrayed beautifully in this flick. Although i am not much of an alien fan when these two species collide all hell brakes loose and even tho the story is great you really dont care when youre witnessing a predator slice off the face of an alien, its that damn good. the 2 disc extreme edition dvd is one of the most well put together and lengthy dvds i have ever used. the behind the scenes stuff is AWSOME! Expand
  73. RyanH.
    Mar 8, 2005
    I new this wasn't going to be a good movie going into the theatre when I found out it was only pg13, so I wasn't let down much. Since I'm a huge alien and predator fan I thought this was a highly entertaining movie. Almost worthy of the alien vs predator comic books where they probably got a lot of there ideas from.
  74. KevR
    Jun 9, 2005
    This is by far the worst Alien or Predator movie. The action is so like WWE that you're better off watching wrestling at home. And since when did the Alien Queen get to move that rapidly? We didnt see that in Aliens where the Queen was more realistic I would say. I stiil cant believe how bad this movie is...dont ever watch this. Anywhere anytime.
  75. AaronO.
    Oct 6, 2006
    This movie was just crap. They made so many mistakes before it was even filmed: 1) Crappy script with a stupid story about predators (who are attracted to warm weather) hunting in Antarctica. 2) A crappy director who is actually world renown for making crappy films. 3) They made it PG-13. I went and saw it opening night just because I have so much respect for the Alien and Predator This movie was just crap. They made so many mistakes before it was even filmed: 1) Crappy script with a stupid story about predators (who are attracted to warm weather) hunting in Antarctica. 2) A crappy director who is actually world renown for making crappy films. 3) They made it PG-13. I went and saw it opening night just because I have so much respect for the Alien and Predator movies, but this movie didn Expand
  76. AnsonG
    May 2, 2007
    I saw Alien Vs. Predator and had ambivalent feelings about it. It definitely could have been a lot better, had better actors, better script, better reason and logic, and better atmosphere. It also could have been much worse than it was as well. What is does have going for it to some small degree is that the film was directed by Paul W. S. Anderson, a competent suspense, science fiction I saw Alien Vs. Predator and had ambivalent feelings about it. It definitely could have been a lot better, had better actors, better script, better reason and logic, and better atmosphere. It also could have been much worse than it was as well. What is does have going for it to some small degree is that the film was directed by Paul W. S. Anderson, a competent suspense, science fiction director accustomed to working with this kind of material. Anderson gives the audience what he thinks they want to see, and going by the money his movies make he doesn't fall far off the mark most of the time. For me(being someone I gratefully acknowledge as being outside the majority of the movie-going population) he disappoints with his cliché-ridden dialog, tissue-thin, stereotypical characters and plot threads, his over-used CGI effects, and his general arrogance to presume how little the movie-going population knows. Notwithstanding all of that, Alien Vs. Predator has some special moments. What did I like: some of the sets were impressive, a couple of the fights were well-executed, Lance Henriksen (being the only "real" actor in the film, and the Artic setting surrounding this hidden pyramid). I haven't gone into any detail of the plot for two reasons: (1)many other reviewers have already done so and (2)the plot is so ridiculous that any real scrutiny would be more enlightening than anything that happened in the film. Is ALien Vs. Predator entertaining? Yes, it is - like many accidents are. It has just enough going for it to keep the viewer engaged but never really satisfied. Expand
  77. ApocalypseBrown
    Jun 2, 2007
    Tripe anyone? P.Anderson is one of the worst directors in Hollywood. This film is an sad stain on both the Alien and Predator series. Enjoyable until the films dissolves into a terrible mess. Hall of Turkey class!
  78. CAmeronS.
    Sep 1, 2007
    I personally did not expect an amazing story, but i certainly found the action i was looking for.
  79. CarrieW.
    Nov 19, 2004
    I wasn't expecting much from this film which is just as well. I'm a big fan of both Alien and Predator, but this film crucified both. The time-line for the events is chronically bad and for fans of either film it doesn't add up as well as it should, and 90% of the film takes place over the course of about 3 hours, it's pathetic. There are so many flaws to the script I wasn't expecting much from this film which is just as well. I'm a big fan of both Alien and Predator, but this film crucified both. The time-line for the events is chronically bad and for fans of either film it doesn't add up as well as it should, and 90% of the film takes place over the course of about 3 hours, it's pathetic. There are so many flaws to the script and plot it's quite often upsetting. Anderson has made a mockery of two classic Sci-Fi films and it's extremely unfair to the paying public. BAN HIS WORK IN FUTURE!! Expand
  80. Aaron
    Oct 12, 2004
    Movies like this are great for action and fight scenes. Unfortunately, Paul WS Anderson is an appalling action director. Not only are the characters 1 dimensional, not only does it take over 45 minutes for anything to happen, but worst of all, the fight scenes are limp and ultimately lame...no, AVP isn't supposed to be high art, but even as low brow entertainment it fails.
  81. Ali
    Nov 23, 2004
    Sean C. is right dont let people judge movies that interests you.
  82. MarkB.
    Nov 9, 2004
    Let the purists complain--this is quite possibly the most critic-proof movie of 2004. (Chances are, if you liked the title and subject, you've already seen it!) As soon as you know that Paul W. S. Anderson is the director, you can correctly guess that this is going to look and feel like a 90-minute video game...and, generally speaking, a pretty good one. Given its series Let the purists complain--this is quite possibly the most critic-proof movie of 2004. (Chances are, if you liked the title and subject, you've already seen it!) As soon as you know that Paul W. S. Anderson is the director, you can correctly guess that this is going to look and feel like a 90-minute video game...and, generally speaking, a pretty good one. Given its series predecessors, though, I agree in wishing that Anderson's original, R-rated cut had made theaters; perhaps the biggest positive to the box office success of the current gorefest Saw is that there's still a big audience for hardcore horror and violence and that not everything has to be diluted for mass consumption. Of moderate interest is that AVP takes the same approach to its title adversaries that last year's far crummier Freddy vs. Jason did; among all the trademark slurping and clicking it definitely sets up lopsided sympathies for one side over the other. The solid character lead Lance Henriksen, who can help make very good movies into great ones (like the original Terminator) and bad movies at least watchable (like The Horror Show) is an invaluable asset; as for lead action babe Sanaa Lathan (an underrated actress who was Love and Basketball's superbly gutsy protagonist and a solid film noir femme fatale in last year's Out of Time), she's worthy of the highest compliment I can possibly deliver for this particular role: watching her onscreen, I didn't think about Sigourney Weaver any more than about two dozen times. Expand
  83. Heather
    Oct 2, 2004
    It was funny!
  84. MacM.
    Oct 4, 2004
    Silly Hollywood McSci-fi romp which adds nothing to the legends or the fear of either races. Cheese extreme which though not as good as any of the previous movies, isn't quite as horrible as I was expecting.
  85. toddnottelling
    Oct 9, 2004
    I dont really know why i liked it so much probly because im a hardcore fan for both alien and predator so it was just so cool to see them in the same movie!
    Aug 12, 2004
    Good fun.
  87. StevenB.
    Aug 13, 2004
    More Paul Anderson crap. Why 20th Century Fox would willingly destroy their Alien franchise is beyond belief.
  88. VinceH.
    Aug 13, 2004
    Ha ha...let's look at some other "gems" that were not screened for critics ahead of time: Gigli From Justin to Kelly Howard the Duck In The Army Now Clean Slate Hudson Hawk Starting to see a trend here?...
  89. AF
    Aug 13, 2004
    It's not a horrible movie. Don't go in expecting much, it's just fun to see the two on the same screen together. As for the ending... I never thought they could turn it into a buddy movie but they proved me wrong. All the scripts they went through... this was the best?
  90. DanK.
    Aug 13, 2004
    I give this movie a solid "8". It was pretty much what I expected from the advance publicity I saw. The story is decent and the effects are very good. I was really surprised that the movie was only 1 1/2 hours long. It really could have been longer and I wouldn't have minded. They needed to spend a little more time on the people. Overall I was very satisfied with the movie and would I give this movie a solid "8". It was pretty much what I expected from the advance publicity I saw. The story is decent and the effects are very good. I was really surprised that the movie was only 1 1/2 hours long. It really could have been longer and I wouldn't have minded. They needed to spend a little more time on the people. Overall I was very satisfied with the movie and would recommend it to anyone who likes either monster. Expand
  91. JPA
    Aug 13, 2004
    Best movie since ... well I don't remember since when! I is truly the best movie I have seen this summer.
  92. CameronS.
    Aug 13, 2004
    [***SPOILERS***] Usually when you have to wait twelve years to get something, a gift per se, you should expect something good. Let?s say you are seventeen and you?ve been asking your parents to get you a pony since you were five, and then they finally do. A month after you get the pretty pony that you?ve been wishing to have all your life, the old thing croaks. Your parents did something[***SPOILERS***] Usually when you have to wait twelve years to get something, a gift per se, you should expect something good. Let?s say you are seventeen and you?ve been asking your parents to get you a pony since you were five, and then they finally do. A month after you get the pretty pony that you?ve been wishing to have all your life, the old thing croaks. Your parents did something cheap. They bought an inexpensive pony at the end of its life from a farmer that was about to put it down but found capitalistic refuge by selling the horse to your parents. That is what has happened with ?Alien vs. Predator?. The predators used to rule Earth as Gods and taught the Aztecs, Egyptians, Mayans, Cambodians, and everybody else how to build pyramids. They would return every 100 years to have a game hunt against aliens that I suppose they bring down to Earth, incubate inside sacrificing humans, burst out of the chest of the humans and are hunted by the predators. But one time, the predators couldn?t take the aliens, and blew up their entire Antarctic kingdom. The raging battle disposes of every single human in the temple in violent but quick-cutting and gore-free fashions. Of the human characters, not one possesses an ounce of charisma or a line of memorable dialogue. The characters don?t have any conversation or arc; they just spew exposition as we tediously wait for the aliens or predators to get to them. The character that survives the whole thing is a non-WASP female who forms an alliance with a predator as they take on more aliens in some really ridiculous looking images. Paul W.S. Anderson script lacks enticing and inspired scenes. Despite the earth-bound nature of the film, Anderson doesn?t explore these possibilities. There has also been a decade of video games ranging from three generations of game play involving the aliens and predators, but nothing interesting but overdone visual effects have been inspired from that region. And the film is so half-assed in its violence it is sickening. An ?Alien vs. Predator? film should not be rated PG-13. The film has a lot of on-screen death but none of which is scary in the least bit. Then there is the use of special effects in the film. ?Alien? was scary because you barely ever see the creeping beast for more than a few frames until the end. We are scared of what we don?t see, and sometime what we do see. But Anderson seems uninterested in scary his audience, nor really exciting them either. He just wants lots of shots of the predators and aliens doing things. There is one interesting visual effect in the movie, however. And it is used in a montage exposition of the predators? time on Earth: A great image of hundreds of aliens leaping to the top of a temple with only several predators defending it. That?s about it. Anyway, maybe I should get to the top of the movie. A dozen science experts plus a few faceless cronies are summoned to check out a heat spot in Antarctica, and will be paid for by Charles Bishop Weyland (Lance Henriksen from ?Aliens?). Involved in this idiotic adventure are Alexa Woods (Sanaa Lathan), an ice climbing expert who stays on board for the safety of everyone else. Sebastian de Rosa (Raoul Bova), an Italian archeologist who while reading what he thinks is Egyptian, discovers that the rotation of the thousands-year old temple is in metric time. Could such an educated scientist not know that metric system was invented by Napoleon? All of the other characters fail to even achieve ?cardboard cut-out?, and are relegate to a level below the splendor of effects-driven death and an excuse to showcase the weapons of the predators and aliens. I thought as the movie progressed there were be a connection made between Lance Henriksen?s Bishop character, and how he becomes an android in the ?Alien? movies. But nope, he?s just another disposable character in this film. To have to wait twelve years for something that should be spectacular and fun and receive a boring monster mash such as this outdoes disappointment. It is a headache, panache of mishmash and an incumbency of in competencies; it?s the worst film of its kind. But if there is anything good that has come out of it, it has inspired me to make a better ?Alien vs. Predator? movie. I shall use only existing material, footage from all six other movies, three generations of video games, hundreds of comic books, Peter Briggs script which will be acted out by alien and predator toys, I shall make a movie that I can at least call better than Paul W.S. Anderson?s monstrous assault on the eyes, ears, and taste. Expand
  93. NickJ.
    Aug 13, 2004
    Pretty decent joining of the two creatures.
  94. BrandonG.
    Aug 14, 2004
    Wow they killed two movie franchises with one stone! Congrats at this amazing feat. Story, acting, script, and stupid lines like "im not the only one with sattelites over antartica" put both these great movie monsters in the grave. The rocket ride out of the ice was priceless!!!
  95. DH
    Aug 14, 2004
    Fortunately I read metacritic before I saw the movie... so my expectations were really LOW! Perhaps that's why I enjoyed it so much... I didn't think it was nearly as bad as the reviews indicated! The Aztec pyramid that rearranged itself every 10 minutes was really stupid, but overall I thought it was a fun movie. Definately better than the last two "alien" movies!!! And the Fortunately I read metacritic before I saw the movie... so my expectations were really LOW! Perhaps that's why I enjoyed it so much... I didn't think it was nearly as bad as the reviews indicated! The Aztec pyramid that rearranged itself every 10 minutes was really stupid, but overall I thought it was a fun movie. Definately better than the last two "alien" movies!!! And the idea of pitting 80's movies against each other opens up some interesting opportunities! How about "Alien VS the Breakfast Club" or "Ferris Bueller VS the Predator." Now those are movies I'd pay to see!!! Expand
  96. HeathL.
    Aug 14, 2004
    Way to kill the franchises, Anderson.
  97. NickT.
    Aug 14, 2004
    I have never really liked Anderson, seeing as he ruined two video game movies that had potential, but this movie isn't near as bad as the critics are touting it as. It relies highly on what it's predecessors did: intrigue. This is what really saved the movie for me. I was interested as to see what would happen next (even though it was blatantly obvious). Although it is I have never really liked Anderson, seeing as he ruined two video game movies that had potential, but this movie isn't near as bad as the critics are touting it as. It relies highly on what it's predecessors did: intrigue. This is what really saved the movie for me. I was interested as to see what would happen next (even though it was blatantly obvious). Although it is predictable, like every other movie in the genre, it does have a couple surprises. This isn't going to bring back either franchise, but it is Anderson's best movie, and is the best choice for any horror B movie fan. It is very enjoyable. Expand
  98. MarcoP.
    Aug 14, 2004
    How this movie ever got approval to be made and released I'll never know.
  99. TonyB.
    Aug 15, 2004
    A 6 because it entertained me. It did abuse some of the Alien and Predator Lore, and the little twist end was absolutely the cheesiest thing they could have done...but I wasn't bored. It wasn't a great movie, but I didn't feel cheated out of my student discount. If you're an AVP fan that can't stand seeing the "rules" bent even a bit, then you better not see this. A 6 because it entertained me. It did abuse some of the Alien and Predator Lore, and the little twist end was absolutely the cheesiest thing they could have done...but I wasn't bored. It wasn't a great movie, but I didn't feel cheated out of my student discount. If you're an AVP fan that can't stand seeing the "rules" bent even a bit, then you better not see this. If you've enjoyed the other movies, and you wanna see another Alien or Pred film, you could probably enjoy this. Just don't expect profound thought-provoking film. Expand
  100. Droog
    Aug 15, 2004
    Wow! I came in with low expectations and AVP still managed to disappoint! The biggest problem with this movie -- and this movie has ALOT of problems -- is that it tries to satisfy everyone and fails to satisfy anyone. Critics demand a coherent story and character development, so AVP delivers some half-ass plotline involving Antarctica, ancient temples, a Predator hunt, an Alien Queen Wow! I came in with low expectations and AVP still managed to disappoint! The biggest problem with this movie -- and this movie has ALOT of problems -- is that it tries to satisfy everyone and fails to satisfy anyone. Critics demand a coherent story and character development, so AVP delivers some half-ass plotline involving Antarctica, ancient temples, a Predator hunt, an Alien Queen stuck in ice, CEOs who need to take stock of their lives, and other assorted mind garbage. Sci-fi fans demand to see the Aliens and Predators whacking away at each other using the full glory of modern computer graphics, but AVP offers sluggish hand to hand combat in dimly-lit hallways that allow us to see practically nothing. My God, what was the director thinking? Critics are never going to embrace either the Alien or Predator series, or even take them seriously, so why even bother with plot? If Paul Anderson simply had 2 hours of aliens hacking and slashing away at each other, I would have been at least mildly satisfied. Instead we get 1 hour of idiotic setup and 45 minutes of uninspired special effects. Sheesh. Where's James Cameron when you need him? Expand

A reductive spook show in which a bunch of puny humans get chased around by scary monsters.
  2. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    The thing-a-ma-jigs have it out with the whatch-a-ma-call-its -- as several humans scurry and scream between -- in Alien Vs. Predator, the kind of two-for-one dogfight (last repped by "Freddy Vs. Jason") that usually does more to bury a franchise than revive it.
  3. It's a murky, empty-headed dive into the depths of the Antarctic and the heart of monster movie cliches that leaves you praying for most of the cast to get killed off fast, to put them (and us) out of our misery.