5.5

1. PatC.
    Apr 4, 2007
    The 2nd half is actually a good actioner as the Aliens & Predators take on each other, but it cannot overcome the 1st half setup, which is exceptionally awkward and inexplicably self-defeating on nearly every level.
  2. Darren
    Aug 15, 2004
    Was this too a joke-a-mentary made by Michael Moore? Talk about bad...
  3. Accaris
    Oct 31, 2007
    Even the 1999 videogame would have provided a better story than the schlock in this mind dump of an action film. Delving into the depths of teenage boy fantasy cheese that not even MTV would dare touch, Anderson somehow manages to suck out whatever limited potential remained in an otherwise comedic franchise. Ham fisted action scenes involving Power Rangers-esque movie monsters are the Even the 1999 videogame would have provided a better story than the schlock in this mind dump of an action film. Delving into the depths of teenage boy fantasy cheese that not even MTV would dare touch, Anderson somehow manages to suck out whatever limited potential remained in an otherwise comedic franchise. Ham fisted action scenes involving Power Rangers-esque movie monsters are the order of the day here, surrounded by characters so weak that I started to feel more attached to the fodder crew from Alien Resurrection. Expand
  4. Nov 19, 2011
    It was decent. I was a bit disapointed that the plot wasnt thought out more and it didnt have that many confrontations between the Aliens and Predators either. I dont think I would recommend this to any one.
  5. Oct 7, 2011
    The only (and little) good thing in AvsP is probably the respectives mythologies of the two legendary franchises. But direction and interpretation are both deplorable; if I want to see a fight as the one between the two creatures in AvsP, I can see professional wrestling at TV.
  6. Jun 9, 2013
    Probably the biggest disappointment of all time. Very little Alien/Predator encounters and when there were they weren't well done at all. Just one heaping pile of trash.
  7. Feb 18, 2012
    This movie had so much potential, and it was ruined by bad acting, story, effects and everything. Where is the interspecies deathmatch all us nerds hoped for? Don't watch this, it is a trashy 90 minutes of your life!
  8. Apr 2, 2012
    The movie was horrifying in a really bad way. There is some of the worst acting i have ever seen in this film. The action is completly pointless and pitiful. Why did someone make this movie. A disgraceful movie on every level. Please tell me this was a joke.
  9. Feb 20, 2013
    Bad...Basically every aspect of it...I waste no time to review this thing, you should not waste time watching it!
  10. May 27, 2013
    It's horrible. I hate that Xenomorph and Predator fighting like Professional wrestling. This is like Terminator 3, hot sexy woman T-X fighting like Terminator 3. It was horrible. Even the T-X was male like body builder fighting like pro-wrestlers, I wouldn't like it. I just wanted human trying to survive from Alien and Predator. I didn't want Alien and Predator fight. I used to loveIt's horrible. I hate that Xenomorph and Predator fighting like Professional wrestling. This is like Terminator 3, hot sexy woman T-X fighting like Terminator 3. It was horrible. Even the T-X was male like body builder fighting like pro-wrestlers, I wouldn't like it. I just wanted human trying to survive from Alien and Predator. I didn't want Alien and Predator fight. I used to love Xenomorph, but now they look unrealistic. They look like the man is inside the costume. They walk like a human, their leg is too long, their body is like a human. I really liked the Alien looked little like Xenomorph from Prometheus. My favorite monsters are from Metro 2033.

I also, hated the huge giant Xenomorph. I hate monsters, robots that are tall as tower. Like Godzilla, Transformers. I like monsters, size of Velociraptor.
  11. Mr.Pants
    Aug 14, 2004
    Thank you, Mr. Anderson, for taking a dump on two great movie villains and calling it a movie. I don't think an "R" rating would have made this any better.
  12. JoshW.
    Aug 16, 2004
    The three goes to Lance and some of the technicians on the film. After all, the sound guys and gaffers deserve credit too. As for the rest of the movie. Well I went in with low expectations as far as strory quality were concerned. As soon as I heard that it was set in our times I was dissapointed but still hoping for some kind of pure mind fodder. By the end it hurt. Why not for example, The three goes to Lance and some of the technicians on the film. After all, the sound guys and gaffers deserve credit too. As for the rest of the movie. Well I went in with low expectations as far as strory quality were concerned. As soon as I heard that it was set in our times I was dissapointed but still hoping for some kind of pure mind fodder. By the end it hurt. Why not for example, just burrow the original Predator custume that Stan Winston made more than a decade ago. At least that one looked good. This Predators face looked like a cross between the original and the Joker's forced smile in Tim Burton's Batman. While they were at it they should have borrowed Winston's Queen Alien as well. I never though that the day would come when one of these movies actually made Alien:Resurection look good by comparison. Expand
  13. MikeZ.
    Jun 1, 2005
    This movie was not very good. The story, crap, the FX, crap, and the camra angeles, crap. But I liked it. And it was cool to see aliens and preditores kill each other. They should have just abandon the story and just have aliens and preditores beating the living s... out of each other.
  14. MichaelM.
    Oct 21, 2004
    Great special effects can hardly make up for the poor acting and cheap philosophy the film constantly potrays.
  15. JesseF.
    Aug 14, 2004
    Horrid, godawful, a wasteful pile of trash for anyone who actually has any knowledge of the Alien or Predator franchises. From the Predator's killing of unworthy defenseless targets to the worst CG-Aliens I've ever seen, this movie HAD six different kinds of potential, and pathetically failed on all of them. Come to see the two under 10-second poorly shot snippets of AvP action; Horrid, godawful, a wasteful pile of trash for anyone who actually has any knowledge of the Alien or Predator franchises. From the Predator's killing of unworthy defenseless targets to the worst CG-Aliens I've ever seen, this movie HAD six different kinds of potential, and pathetically failed on all of them. Come to see the two under 10-second poorly shot snippets of AvP action; stay to be disgusted by the "kissing scene" between human and Predator. Anyone who enjoys this movie either has tremendously low standards, or loved it simply because it had the iconic superbeasts; to me it will go down as a mind-numbingly awful tribute to what might and should have been. Expand
  16. Smoke55
    Aug 15, 2004
    It had potential, but failed miserably to capitalize. The action scenes were shot too close to make them exciting. Most of the actual AVP action was shots of the predator running away while the queen followed. They should have either made it an all-out action fest, or went camp like Freddy v. Jason. They did neither. Instead, they tried to make a tense suspens-drama but failed to add any It had potential, but failed miserably to capitalize. The action scenes were shot too close to make them exciting. Most of the actual AVP action was shots of the predator running away while the queen followed. They should have either made it an all-out action fest, or went camp like Freddy v. Jason. They did neither. Instead, they tried to make a tense suspens-drama but failed to add any character development, personality, or anything resembling a plot. Rent Kill Bill instead. Expand
  17. RickG.
    Aug 16, 2004
    Ever left a movie asking yourself, "Now what the hell was THAT all about?" That's the feeling I had at the end of AVP. In vain did I try to find any redeeming value with this dreck. Stupid ideas. Bad directing. Forgettable dialogue and characters. Dark sets that leave the viewer wonder what's going on half the time. AVP is based on a stupid premise even a competent director Ever left a movie asking yourself, "Now what the hell was THAT all about?" That's the feeling I had at the end of AVP. In vain did I try to find any redeeming value with this dreck. Stupid ideas. Bad directing. Forgettable dialogue and characters. Dark sets that leave the viewer wonder what's going on half the time. AVP is based on a stupid premise even a competent director couldn't save and only a pseudo scientist like Erik Van Daniken could love. It's bad enough the idea for the movie was stupid to begin with, but then we are tortured with director/writer Paul W.S. Anderson's terrible directing for an hour and forty minutes. Franchise fans looking for a good smack down between the two iconic sci-fi monsters will be sorely disappointed. Thanks to the dark sets of the movie and Anderson's bad direction it's really difficult to see, much less care, what is going one when the Aliens and Predators do finally fight it out. I haven't been this disappointed in a monster smack down on film since I saw "Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman." In that monster smack down Frankenstein and the Wolfman get into a fight that doesn't even get a minute of screen time, and then they are promptly washed away by an exploding dam. At least the viewer can SEE that fight. One other thing about AVP I couldn't help but notice. Most of the movie takes place on and underneath the frozen ice of Antarctica and yet I don't recall ever seeing the breath of one of the actors. I watched AVP with a mounting sense of gloom, realizing I was seeing what will be a punch line for bad movies for decades to come. As the Predator's ship made its getaway from Earth, with absolutely no impact on the audience in attendance at the screening I attended, I wanted to start a chant of "Golden Raspberry! Golden Raspberry! Golden Raspberry!". AVP will definitely make a lot of "worst movie" of the year lists for 2004. Expand
  18. TonyT
    Aug 16, 2004
    If i was to rate this movie on an absolute scale (not comparing to any other movie), I would give it a 3. Compared to other movies, I would have to give it a 1, only because there have been worse. I'm trying to think of something good to say about it, but nothing comes to mind. Well, maybe the first scene when she gets to the top of the ice climb.
  19. AlexaR.
    Aug 17, 2004
    It was horrible,total waste of my precious time. Don't see.
  20. PP
    Aug 26, 2004
    This movie was a slap in the face of the Alien and Predator franchises. Even for action films, those orginal movies had some semblance of personality built into them. This movie was just a poor excuse to throw some guys in some cool looking rubber suits. Why waste our time and money with this garbage? Halloween is just around the corner.
  21. ColinW.
    Aug 30, 2004
    Imagine a film with no original ideas of any kind. Yet still gets nothing right. Woeful dialogue, terrible acting, worse direction- whoever wins, the viewing public lose.
  22. DanW
    Sep 22, 2004
    Sigourney Weaver refused point blank to participate in this film stating that it "Devalued the franchise." We really should have listened. Those looking for an interesting plot that would satisfy the ending to both Predator 2 and Alien: Ressurection (both pretty disappointing) had better stay away. Those looking for fan-boy style guts, gore, slime and the horrendously constant "Whoever Sigourney Weaver refused point blank to participate in this film stating that it "Devalued the franchise." We really should have listened. Those looking for an interesting plot that would satisfy the ending to both Predator 2 and Alien: Ressurection (both pretty disappointing) had better stay away. Those looking for fan-boy style guts, gore, slime and the horrendously constant "Whoever wins, we lose" theme, this is your movie. Only view on pain of death. Expand
  23. Brian
    Sep 6, 2004
    Simply an insult to all AvP fans...
  24. BubbaFresh
    Feb 1, 2005
    Story REALLY sucked. Could not have possibly made less sense. The fights were kinda interesting to watch, but they're only a few and they take about 10 min to watch. Special features suck as well. Bottom line Don't listen to the people who gave this a 10 and If you see Anderson, tell him he ruined what could have been a good action movie.
  25. Ryencoke
    Feb 19, 2005
    This movie was horrible. Paul W.S. Anderson is now the 2nd worst director in the buisness. Uwe Boll being first. Now, this movie would have been awesome if it wasn't PG-13. There was no a single 'Aliens', or 'Predator' movie that was Rated unter R. The whole series was rated R. Than come they come up with this crap? Idiot. That is the only word I can say. An This movie was horrible. Paul W.S. Anderson is now the 2nd worst director in the buisness. Uwe Boll being first. Now, this movie would have been awesome if it wasn't PG-13. There was no a single 'Aliens', or 'Predator' movie that was Rated unter R. The whole series was rated R. Than come they come up with this crap? Idiot. That is the only word I can say. An absolute Idiot. Expand
  26. MikeJ
    Feb 8, 2005
    This movie proves a collosal misfire. The dreadful premise is enough to make you claw your own eyes out, but what's worse is the riduiculous rasta-looking characters that parade around the set with surreal motives and an incredibly silly disposition.
  27. KevR
    Jun 9, 2005
    This is by far the worst Alien or Predator movie. The action is so like WWE that you're better off watching wrestling at home. And since when did the Alien Queen get to move that rapidly? We didnt see that in Aliens where the Queen was more realistic I would say. I stiil cant believe how bad this movie is...dont ever watch this. Anywhere anytime.
  28. AaronO.
    Oct 6, 2006
    This movie was just crap. They made so many mistakes before it was even filmed: 1) Crappy script with a stupid story about predators (who are attracted to warm weather) hunting in Antarctica. 2) A crappy director who is actually world renown for making crappy films. 3) They made it PG-13. I went and saw it opening night just because I have so much respect for the Alien and Predator This movie was just crap. They made so many mistakes before it was even filmed: 1) Crappy script with a stupid story about predators (who are attracted to warm weather) hunting in Antarctica. 2) A crappy director who is actually world renown for making crappy films. 3) They made it PG-13. I went and saw it opening night just because I have so much respect for the Alien and Predator movies, but this movie didn Expand
  29. ApocalypseBrown
    Jun 2, 2007
    Tripe anyone? P.Anderson is one of the worst directors in Hollywood. This film is an sad stain on both the Alien and Predator series. Enjoyable until the films dissolves into a terrible mess. Hall of Turkey class!
  30. CarrieW.
    Nov 19, 2004
    I wasn't expecting much from this film which is just as well. I'm a big fan of both Alien and Predator, but this film crucified both. The time-line for the events is chronically bad and for fans of either film it doesn't add up as well as it should, and 90% of the film takes place over the course of about 3 hours, it's pathetic. There are so many flaws to the script I wasn't expecting much from this film which is just as well. I'm a big fan of both Alien and Predator, but this film crucified both. The time-line for the events is chronically bad and for fans of either film it doesn't add up as well as it should, and 90% of the film takes place over the course of about 3 hours, it's pathetic. There are so many flaws to the script and plot it's quite often upsetting. Anderson has made a mockery of two classic Sci-Fi films and it's extremely unfair to the paying public. BAN HIS WORK IN FUTURE!! Expand
  31. Aaron
    Oct 12, 2004
    Movies like this are great for action and fight scenes. Unfortunately, Paul WS Anderson is an appalling action director. Not only are the characters 1 dimensional, not only does it take over 45 minutes for anything to happen, but worst of all, the fight scenes are limp and ultimately lame...no, AVP isn't supposed to be high art, but even as low brow entertainment it fails.
  32. StevenB.
    Aug 13, 2004
    More Paul Anderson crap. Why 20th Century Fox would willingly destroy their Alien franchise is beyond belief.
  33. VinceH.
    Aug 13, 2004
    Ha ha...let's look at some other "gems" that were not screened for critics ahead of time: Gigli From Justin to Kelly Howard the Duck In The Army Now Clean Slate Hudson Hawk Starting to see a trend here?...
  34. CameronS.
    Aug 13, 2004
    [***SPOILERS***] Usually when you have to wait twelve years to get something, a gift per se, you should expect something good. Let?s say you are seventeen and you?ve been asking your parents to get you a pony since you were five, and then they finally do. A month after you get the pretty pony that you?ve been wishing to have all your life, the old thing croaks. Your parents did something[***SPOILERS***] Usually when you have to wait twelve years to get something, a gift per se, you should expect something good. Let?s say you are seventeen and you?ve been asking your parents to get you a pony since you were five, and then they finally do. A month after you get the pretty pony that you?ve been wishing to have all your life, the old thing croaks. Your parents did something cheap. They bought an inexpensive pony at the end of its life from a farmer that was about to put it down but found capitalistic refuge by selling the horse to your parents. That is what has happened with ?Alien vs. Predator?. The predators used to rule Earth as Gods and taught the Aztecs, Egyptians, Mayans, Cambodians, and everybody else how to build pyramids. They would return every 100 years to have a game hunt against aliens that I suppose they bring down to Earth, incubate inside sacrificing humans, burst out of the chest of the humans and are hunted by the predators. But one time, the predators couldn?t take the aliens, and blew up their entire Antarctic kingdom. The raging battle disposes of every single human in the temple in violent but quick-cutting and gore-free fashions. Of the human characters, not one possesses an ounce of charisma or a line of memorable dialogue. The characters don?t have any conversation or arc; they just spew exposition as we tediously wait for the aliens or predators to get to them. The character that survives the whole thing is a non-WASP female who forms an alliance with a predator as they take on more aliens in some really ridiculous looking images. Paul W.S. Anderson script lacks enticing and inspired scenes. Despite the earth-bound nature of the film, Anderson doesn?t explore these possibilities. There has also been a decade of video games ranging from three generations of game play involving the aliens and predators, but nothing interesting but overdone visual effects have been inspired from that region. And the film is so half-assed in its violence it is sickening. An ?Alien vs. Predator? film should not be rated PG-13. The film has a lot of on-screen death but none of which is scary in the least bit. Then there is the use of special effects in the film. ?Alien? was scary because you barely ever see the creeping beast for more than a few frames until the end. We are scared of what we don?t see, and sometime what we do see. But Anderson seems uninterested in scary his audience, nor really exciting them either. He just wants lots of shots of the predators and aliens doing things. There is one interesting visual effect in the movie, however. And it is used in a montage exposition of the predators? time on Earth: A great image of hundreds of aliens leaping to the top of a temple with only several predators defending it. That?s about it. Anyway, maybe I should get to the top of the movie. A dozen science experts plus a few faceless cronies are summoned to check out a heat spot in Antarctica, and will be paid for by Charles Bishop Weyland (Lance Henriksen from ?Aliens?). Involved in this idiotic adventure are Alexa Woods (Sanaa Lathan), an ice climbing expert who stays on board for the safety of everyone else. Sebastian de Rosa (Raoul Bova), an Italian archeologist who while reading what he thinks is Egyptian, discovers that the rotation of the thousands-year old temple is in metric time. Could such an educated scientist not know that metric system was invented by Napoleon? All of the other characters fail to even achieve ?cardboard cut-out?, and are relegate to a level below the splendor of effects-driven death and an excuse to showcase the weapons of the predators and aliens. I thought as the movie progressed there were be a connection made between Lance Henriksen?s Bishop character, and how he becomes an android in the ?Alien? movies. But nope, he?s just another disposable character in this film. To have to wait twelve years for something that should be spectacular and fun and receive a boring monster mash such as this outdoes disappointment. It is a headache, panache of mishmash and an incumbency of in competencies; it?s the worst film of its kind. But if there is anything good that has come out of it, it has inspired me to make a better ?Alien vs. Predator? movie. I shall use only existing material, footage from all six other movies, three generations of video games, hundreds of comic books, Peter Briggs script which will be acted out by alien and predator toys, I shall make a movie that I can at least call better than Paul W.S. Anderson?s monstrous assault on the eyes, ears, and taste. Expand
  35. BrandonG.
    Aug 14, 2004
    Wow they killed two movie franchises with one stone! Congrats at this amazing feat. Story, acting, script, and stupid lines like "im not the only one with sattelites over antartica" put both these great movie monsters in the grave. The rocket ride out of the ice was priceless!!!
  36. HeathL.
    Aug 14, 2004
    Way to kill the franchises, Anderson.
  37. MarcoP.
    Aug 14, 2004
    How this movie ever got approval to be made and released I'll never know.
  38. Droog
    Aug 15, 2004
    Wow! I came in with low expectations and AVP still managed to disappoint! The biggest problem with this movie -- and this movie has ALOT of problems -- is that it tries to satisfy everyone and fails to satisfy anyone. Critics demand a coherent story and character development, so AVP delivers some half-ass plotline involving Antarctica, ancient temples, a Predator hunt, an Alien Queen Wow! I came in with low expectations and AVP still managed to disappoint! The biggest problem with this movie -- and this movie has ALOT of problems -- is that it tries to satisfy everyone and fails to satisfy anyone. Critics demand a coherent story and character development, so AVP delivers some half-ass plotline involving Antarctica, ancient temples, a Predator hunt, an Alien Queen stuck in ice, CEOs who need to take stock of their lives, and other assorted mind garbage. Sci-fi fans demand to see the Aliens and Predators whacking away at each other using the full glory of modern computer graphics, but AVP offers sluggish hand to hand combat in dimly-lit hallways that allow us to see practically nothing. My God, what was the director thinking? Critics are never going to embrace either the Alien or Predator series, or even take them seriously, so why even bother with plot? If Paul Anderson simply had 2 hours of aliens hacking and slashing away at each other, I would have been at least mildly satisfied. Instead we get 1 hour of idiotic setup and 45 minutes of uninspired special effects. Sheesh. Where's James Cameron when you need him? Expand
  39. RichK
    Aug 24, 2004
    Maybe not the worst movie I've ever seen, but it pissed me off more than any other movie. I'm too emotionally attached to both series to simply dismiss this as a bad movie, and not a personal affront. Paul Anderson succeeds in making a sequel (prequel? nonquel?) that doesn't just fail to add to the series, but literally takes away from it!!
  40. MysteriousStranger
    Sep 3, 2004
    Ha ha! Any movie with that much pre-release buzz is bound to suck! Everybody knows that by now right?.....Right?
  41. BillyA.
    Feb 3, 2005
    Pros: might supply aliens-nerds with a couple thrills. cons: sloppy screenplay, stupid ending, story makes no damn sense my thoughts: only watch this for the laughs you get from its stupidness.
  42. MorganK
    May 29, 2005
    As usual, Paul W.S. Anderson can't figure out how to make a movie. Like in the equally wretched Resident Evil: Apocalypse, he takes a sure-fire premise and somehow manages to make it tedious, flat, and dull. The total disregard for what makes the titular creatures interesting and abandonment of the mythology and plotlines from the films they came from make this a movie unsatisfying As usual, Paul W.S. Anderson can't figure out how to make a movie. Like in the equally wretched Resident Evil: Apocalypse, he takes a sure-fire premise and somehow manages to make it tedious, flat, and dull. The total disregard for what makes the titular creatures interesting and abandonment of the mythology and plotlines from the films they came from make this a movie unsatisfying to anyone old enough to carry a driver's license. A wasted opportunity. Expand
  43. zacks
    Sep 22, 2007
    horrible movie...didnt live up to expectations...i wasnt expecting another aliens but this was worse than AR
  44. JeroenJ.
    Dec 15, 2004
    It was absolute crap. Even the special effects weren't going to help. Corny ending, stupid dialog, stupid film, stupid story. Nothing really happens. Just watch the old movies, they're much better. I will not watch a film by this director again, what an incompetent hack.
  45. JustinG.
    Aug 14, 2004
    Even for my admittedly low standards this movie was pretty terrible. The whole pacing and story follows pretty closely to Paul WS Anderson's other "gems" (like Mortal Kombat, which I thought was fun enough cheese for a fan of the game like me, and Resident Evil, which I thought wasn't) in that the first 20-40 minutes or so are dedicated to "introducing" characters, "setting up" Even for my admittedly low standards this movie was pretty terrible. The whole pacing and story follows pretty closely to Paul WS Anderson's other "gems" (like Mortal Kombat, which I thought was fun enough cheese for a fan of the game like me, and Resident Evil, which I thought wasn't) in that the first 20-40 minutes or so are dedicated to "introducing" characters, "setting up" the story and being all around slow paced and stupid. Then the first "action" scene hits, and the rest of the movie is action scene after action scene after action scene, etc. until the bad guys die, at which point we are assured of a sequel. This movie is of course just like that, only there are so many crappy things I just can't get myself to say "Hey, sure it's crap, but it was fun." Because it wasn't. The fight scenes felt like they were filmed by someone with ADD who was jittery from too many mochas ("Oh look! Zoom up on the predators head! Oooh look! Now zoom into the aiens tail! OOhh ooh oooh then then then..."). As much fun as I'm sure it is watching predators kick aliens in the stomach, we see very little of it. The only redeeming factor in my book is the stupid dialogue, wonderfully hammed up by stupid acting. "There's nothing there in Antarctica!" "Well, there is now!" is but one of quite a few stupid conversations our lil explorer friends have. While none of it tops Mortal Kombats "The tournament has always been not about death, but of preserving life", it's still good fun. Too bad everything else is not funny bad, but just bad bad. Expand
  46. JohnP
    Aug 14, 2004
    Where oh where is Ridley Scot or Cameron when a movie with this potential is wasted. Predator was a somewhat odd movie but has a staying power similar to the Alien franchise. But after 2 pretty good AvP video games, the franchise is killed. Fox should be ashamed of itself. Get a better director and make a decent movie from scratch, forgetting this mess when you do so. I would pay to see Where oh where is Ridley Scot or Cameron when a movie with this potential is wasted. Predator was a somewhat odd movie but has a staying power similar to the Alien franchise. But after 2 pretty good AvP video games, the franchise is killed. Fox should be ashamed of itself. Get a better director and make a decent movie from scratch, forgetting this mess when you do so. I would pay to see Cameron S version any day !!!! Expand
  47. AaronF.
    Aug 14, 2004
    Aliens vs Predator vs Human vs Stretcher, this movie was a joke. Freaking hilarious, The predators have the most advance technology but they still use strectchers, lmao. The movie was so lame. Everyone is saying the predators looked like can openers. At least my can opener can kill an alien with out dicking around. At the end I was reminded of an ET friendship between the predator and the Aliens vs Predator vs Human vs Stretcher, this movie was a joke. Freaking hilarious, The predators have the most advance technology but they still use strectchers, lmao. The movie was so lame. Everyone is saying the predators looked like can openers. At least my can opener can kill an alien with out dicking around. At the end I was reminded of an ET friendship between the predator and the black chick. Expand
  48. JeffR
    Aug 16, 2004
    Ya know, this movie doesn't deserve a 0, as many of you believe. Unfortunately, this scale doesn't have negative numbers; so, I'll settle with calling this movie a 0. On the other hand, maybe I'm being too hard on this movie. After all, I saw it for free and still feel like I've been ripped off. That hour and a half I can never get back! I could've gotten my Ya know, this movie doesn't deserve a 0, as many of you believe. Unfortunately, this scale doesn't have negative numbers; so, I'll settle with calling this movie a 0. On the other hand, maybe I'm being too hard on this movie. After all, I saw it for free and still feel like I've been ripped off. That hour and a half I can never get back! I could've gotten my oil changed that day, but I decided at the time that this movie deserves more attention then my car. Boy, was I wrong. Expand
  49. James
    Aug 22, 2004
    Take a ridiculous premise, hire a bad director and a mostly second rate, no-name cast and you get the worst film you could possibly make from it in AVP. I have to agree with Brandon G. that the rocket ride out of the ice was priceless, and I always chuckle when thinking about that scene. I can't agree with those who think AVP has killed the two franchises. The two franchises were Take a ridiculous premise, hire a bad director and a mostly second rate, no-name cast and you get the worst film you could possibly make from it in AVP. I have to agree with Brandon G. that the rocket ride out of the ice was priceless, and I always chuckle when thinking about that scene. I can't agree with those who think AVP has killed the two franchises. The two franchises were already out of gas before this was released and we haven't seen any new Alien or Predator movies in several years. I've seen "Alien," "Aliens" and "Predator". I never really liked "Aliens" and "Predator" that much and the truth is that "Alien" is the only really good movie in the entire lot. H.R. Giger's monster is the best creation in movie history, but you can't be scared by it anymore after you've seen it choke and disembowel its hundredth victim. Once you've seen Veronica Cartwright do the best job of playing the terrified victim of the monster in "Alien," copycat scenes just don't have the same impact on you. Once you've seen Sigourney Weaver breakdown crying when her character Ripley realizes she isn't the captain of the Nostromo, but rather Ash the robot is, you feel really bad for Sanaa Lathan trying her best to play AVP's equivalent of Ripley with a poorly written script to go by. We've seen this movie before and it was a hell of a lot better the first time around. Expand
  50. DavidF.
    Sep 21, 2004
    Too dark for starters, there was a lot of quick cutting which left me confused and wondering what was happening and in the end i didn't care. Should have been really good. Anyone who thinks this is good watch alien again then watch this after. It's like comparing Einstein to David Beckham.
  51. MikeC.
    Oct 11, 2005
    A wasted premise. whoever financed this is probably kicked themselves or maybe not because it was obviously made just to make money with total disreguard to quality.
  52. JoshE.
    Oct 14, 2005
    Wow, what a turgid piece of junk. AVP threw out any of the logic in the alien mythology and ground it into the floor with absolutely no atmosphere, terrible art direction, and horrible special effects. Only the first 2 Alien movies were great (totally different movies though) but the 3rd and 4th were at least well done (but terrible otherwise.) They all had the strong atmosphere and art Wow, what a turgid piece of junk. AVP threw out any of the logic in the alien mythology and ground it into the floor with absolutely no atmosphere, terrible art direction, and horrible special effects. Only the first 2 Alien movies were great (totally different movies though) but the 3rd and 4th were at least well done (but terrible otherwise.) They all had the strong atmosphere and art direction though. AVP looks like they took toys off of the shelf and used them for the effects shots. The story was relentless, but not in a good way. Aliens was merciless, but it had class unlike this barbaric, bludgeoning meatheaded "film." No real story, just plot points to explain the ridiculous premise. Why did the Aliens have to be on earth to begin with? It kind of ruins the deep space boogie man nightmares of the original. The characters were utterly lame and started dropping like flies so quickly, there was never a chance in hell to care about any of them, unlike the other movies. In the end, there is not one redeeming quality to this film. It's another desperate attempt to make money off of an awesome original concept, which is so rare now adays because of all of the derivative sequels (just like this one)... totally burying this franchise once and for all. Please rest in peace. Expand
  53. SimonF.
    Feb 16, 2005
    Very poor is an understatement. There's so many ways they could have made this movie, so why did they make it so badly? For me it lacked tension, any connection to the characters and had more holes than a tramps pants. It just has absolutely nothing to boast, its the movie equivalent of tofu avoid it like typhoid. I'd love to find out who went to the test screening or if they Very poor is an understatement. There's so many ways they could have made this movie, so why did they make it so badly? For me it lacked tension, any connection to the characters and had more holes than a tramps pants. It just has absolutely nothing to boast, its the movie equivalent of tofu avoid it like typhoid. I'd love to find out who went to the test screening or if they actually had one? Expand
  54. brettb
    Feb 18, 2005
    This movie was a bomb. If you look at the teaser and say wow this looks cool, WELL YOUR WRONG. the teaser is the only good part.
  55. AaronM.
    Jan 23, 2006
    I kept wating for it to get better. It didn't.
  56. TJ
    Jan 17, 2007
    It's hard to imagine someone screwing up a movie with Aliens and Predators - all you need is a heap of Aliens being hunted by predators and some humans getting in the way every now and then. Instead you get shit. If 3 or 4 predators can't take down 4 aliens then something is seriously wrong. How does someone like Paul Anderson keep getting work? If I kept performing as badly at It's hard to imagine someone screwing up a movie with Aliens and Predators - all you need is a heap of Aliens being hunted by predators and some humans getting in the way every now and then. Instead you get shit. If 3 or 4 predators can't take down 4 aliens then something is seriously wrong. How does someone like Paul Anderson keep getting work? If I kept performing as badly at my work I'd be fired instantly - especially after being handed 2 surefire franchises on a platter. Expand
  57. Feb 14, 2012
    While re-watching AVP, I found myself feeling a profound sense of de-ja vu. Where have I witnessed this exact same plot before? Oh - now I remember - Resident Evil. Writer/Director Paul W S Anderson isn't only plundering two successful sci-fi series with this film, he's ripping off his own films. In both we have a team of "experts" going underground on a journey of discovery, with aWhile re-watching AVP, I found myself feeling a profound sense of de-ja vu. Where have I witnessed this exact same plot before? Oh - now I remember - Resident Evil. Writer/Director Paul W S Anderson isn't only plundering two successful sci-fi series with this film, he's ripping off his own films. In both we have a team of "experts" going underground on a journey of discovery, with a hidden, sinister purpose, and in both, things go sour when something nasty begins to pick off team members one-by-one. I wasn't expecting originality from a film based on a game that in turn is based on two series of films, but come on, Mr Anderson - change the record! Anyway, the film offers just about what you'd expect from the title Alien vs. Predator - two icons of science fiction turning each other into goo, with poor old humanity stuck in the middle. The characterisation is lacking even by Anderson's standards - we follow a team of stereotypes, each with a singular emotion, or personality quirk, or debilitating illness that defines them. Sanaa Lathan is meant to be the film's hero, but simply comes across as a Ripley knock-off crossed with Bear Grylls. Colin Salmon, though effortlessly cool as always, plays EXACTLY the same character he did in Anderson's Resident Evil. You've also got such interesting characters as archaeologist Sebastian (Raoul Bova), who's Italian, Graeme (Ewan Bremner), who's Scottish, Mark the mercenary (Tommy Flanagan) who's got a scar, and Adele (Agathe de La Boulaye) who's French AND a woman. Wow, these are really the kinds of characters you can get emotionally invested in. At least you've got Lance Henriksen at least attempting to give a performance as Mr Weyland (and giving the film some semblance of continuity with the Alien series), though he generally manages to get by simply by having an awesome voice. Despite the lazy characters and pretty dreadful script, to Paul W S Anderson's credit, the film does get a whole lot better once the titular extra-terrestrial brawl begins in earnest. Anderson has undeniable skill in directing action sequences, and the acid-blood-spraying fights are extremely entertaining. As fun as they are, they begin far too late in the film, and you are forced to sit through a good half-hour of clunky exposition before anything really kicks off. AVP is an emotionless, inhuman affair, but the action is well-handled, and both the xenomorphs and predators look better than they ever have. If we were subjected to a less drawn-out build to the first set-piece, and if the filmmakers hadn't been so greedy and pandered to a pre-teen audience, we might have had a pretty good time watching two races of gruesome monsters pounding each other to fluorescent pulp. As it is, the film is passably entertaining, but nothing else. It's too empty, too long, and nowhere-near scary or violent enough. Expand
  58. Jul 25, 2015
    I played a lot of AVP video games (including the 2010 reboot), but turning it into a movie just would've been good if Sigourney Weaver and/or Arnold Schwarzenegger came back and kill each other. Unfortunately, what I got was a bad example of video game movies and that anybody could care less about the sort-of spinoff of two iconic sci-fi franchises pitting two villains in one stupid assI played a lot of AVP video games (including the 2010 reboot), but turning it into a movie just would've been good if Sigourney Weaver and/or Arnold Schwarzenegger came back and kill each other. Unfortunately, what I got was a bad example of video game movies and that anybody could care less about the sort-of spinoff of two iconic sci-fi franchises pitting two villains in one stupid ass blockbuster. Freddy vs. Jason, anyone? Aliens vs. Predator is by far one of my absolute distaste of crappy video game movies. Expand
  59. May 31, 2015
    I don't get it. (spoilers ahead)

I don't get it. (spoilers ahead)

I can get behind the setting, I can get behind why the temple exists, why the predators are going there, why there are weapons there... But for some reason this all has to be explained, every single bit of it and the movie has to waste time doing it. They could of just added some narration at the beginning and ending of the movie, instead of having the characters tell us themselves. Some guy read heiroglyphs and the story behind the temple and why aliens vs predators happens is explained, long before the movie is even over. Having all the whole "........................................................................................................................... what are they? ............................................................................................................" thing with the predator weapons was unnecessary, I was bored stiff, I didn't know what I was watching, what the point of this was, and the weapons didn't really look scary and they just looked so... plastic? What was that scene about? Why was it so prolonged? Am I supposed to be looking at the cool smoke? It's obvious they are predator weapons! We don't care about the small talk and pointless stuff the scientists do, but we see them taking this trip, explaining what is going on, setting up equipment, going down there, and finding the weapons, and it could of just been 5 minutes long.

The whole shifting temple thing isn't tense, I just felt they weren't in imminent danger. You know there are predators, but the aliens are the scary ones. Then there is the "which side are you gonna take" thing, which I didn't get. We don't know the predator and it serves as a barrier to the **** plot which involves the human teaming up with the predator by gaining it's respect... or trust? or did it just think the human was useful?

I loved the whole ritual chamber thing with the eggs and facehuggers. The scene where they watch the predator mark itself is awesome. The plot would of been great if it were an Indiana Jones movie, but it wasn't and I didn't even care when the characters got hurt or if they died. We know the humans are in a death trap and most of them are probably all going to die. I wanted to see the awesome action. The end of the queen is basically crap, it's not exciting. I thought is that really it? It was. The movie should of took all the focus off the humans, they are the cattle, they are the prey. It's a shame since I think the aliens vs predator action and the directing overall was incredibly well done, but there is so little action action and the human + predator thing wasn't good.

Basically they took aliens, predator and **** it all up.
  60. Apr 23, 2015
    lien Vs. Predator is a gimmick - an all-too-blatant attempt to lure fanboys away from their computer games and into theaters. It's not likely that the movie will be of great interest to anyone else, except perhaps as a curiosity. As an attempt to revive two flagging franchises, the film succeeds in reminding us of how far they have fallen. Sure, the Aliens in Alien Vs. Predator look justlien Vs. Predator is a gimmick - an all-too-blatant attempt to lure fanboys away from their computer games and into theaters. It's not likely that the movie will be of great interest to anyone else, except perhaps as a curiosity. As an attempt to revive two flagging franchises, the film succeeds in reminding us of how far they have fallen. Sure, the Aliens in Alien Vs. Predator look just like their Aliens counterparts, but gone is the creepy terror they once produced. And, compared to the hunter of Predator, the creatures in this movie turn out to be pushovers.

As promised by the title, the movie does indeed feature battles between Aliens and Predators, although you have to wait until the final 30 minutes to get to that point. And, by then, due in large part to poor direction and non-existent character development, you may be asleep. Helmsman Paul W. S. Anderson (not to be confused with Paul Thomas Anderson - this is the Resident Evil/Event Horizon guy) has no grasp of why the first two Alien movies and the original Predator were successful - atmosphere and pacing. Alien Vs. Predator has neither. It drags interminably, and a lot of the scenes are too murky to see anything. Anderson tries to copy some of the things done by Ridley Scott, John McTiernan, and James Cameron, but his second-rate imitations do little more than emphasize the chasm that exists between him and his more accomplished predecessors.

The movie offers little in the way of interesting revelations, other than a couple of nods to established Alien and Predator continuity. The highlights of the production, at least for its core audience, are the battle scenes. Unfortunately, they're disappointing. Instead of being on a grand scale, they're usually one-on-one struggles, and they typically don't last very long. Plus, the camera work and editing are so shoddy that it's sometimes impossible to figure out what's going on. And, since our "rooting interest" is supposed to lie with the plastic, one-dimensional humans, we're forced to see them get involved when we would rather just watch the two ugly extraterrestrial species go at it. The ending isn't any less credible than the rest of the film, but the "surprise" coda is so silly and expected that it has no shock value whatsoever.

The film is critic-proof and it will find an audience, but it's hard to imagine even the film's target demographic (teenage boys) being overly enthusiastic about the product. It's disposable entertainment of the worst kind, and its first-weekend popularity will be a testimony to how low our standards of suitable movie-making have fallen. Alien Vs. Predator has no characters and no story. But it has name recognition, and, in today's market, that's often more important. Plus, it's rated PG-13 (although one can quibble with that - there's quite a bit of blood and gore to be found, making one wonder exactly where the dividing line between PG-13 and R is). Time will tell whether this is the last time the Aliens and Predators grace the screen, but, based on what's in evidence here, if they return again to tussle, I'll find something better to do with my time.

A reductive spook show in which a bunch of puny humans get chased around by scary monsters.
  2. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    The thing-a-ma-jigs have it out with the whatch-a-ma-call-its -- as several humans scurry and scream between -- in Alien Vs. Predator, the kind of two-for-one dogfight (last repped by "Freddy Vs. Jason") that usually does more to bury a franchise than revive it.
  3. It's a murky, empty-headed dive into the depths of the Antarctic and the heart of monster movie cliches that leaves you praying for most of the cast to get killed off fast, to put them (and us) out of our misery.