5.5

1. Nov 19, 2011
    It was decent. I was a bit disapointed that the plot wasnt thought out more and it didnt have that many confrontations between the Aliens and Predators either. I dont think I would recommend this to any one.
  2. Feb 14, 2012
    While re-watching AVP, I found myself feeling a profound sense of de-ja vu. Where have I witnessed this exact same plot before? Oh - now I remember - Resident Evil. Writer/Director Paul W S Anderson isn't only plundering two successful sci-fi series with this film, he's ripping off his own films. In both we have a team of "experts" going underground on a journey of discovery, with a hidden, sinister purpose, and in both, things go sour when something nasty begins to pick off team members one-by-one. I wasn't expecting originality from a film based on a game that in turn is based on two series of films, but come on, Mr Anderson - change the record! Anyway, the film offers just about what you'd expect from the title Alien vs. Predator - two icons of science fiction turning each other into goo, with poor old humanity stuck in the middle. The characterisation is lacking even by Anderson's standards - we follow a team of stereotypes, each with a singular emotion, or personality quirk, or debilitating illness that defines them. Sanaa Lathan is meant to be the film's hero, but simply comes across as a Ripley knock-off crossed with Bear Grylls. Colin Salmon, though effortlessly cool as always, plays EXACTLY the same character he did in Anderson's Resident Evil. You've also got such interesting characters as archaeologist Sebastian (Raoul Bova), who's Italian, Graeme (Ewan Bremner), who's Scottish, Mark the mercenary (Tommy Flanagan) who's got a scar, and Adele (Agathe de La Boulaye) who's French AND a woman. Wow, these are really the kinds of characters you can get emotionally invested in. At least you've got Lance Henriksen at least attempting to give a performance as Mr Weyland (and giving the film some semblance of continuity with the Alien series), though he generally manages to get by simply by having an awesome voice. Despite the lazy characters and pretty dreadful script, to Paul W S Anderson's credit, the film does get a whole lot better once the titular extra-terrestrial brawl begins in earnest. Anderson has undeniable skill in directing action sequences, and the acid-blood-spraying fights are extremely entertaining. As fun as they are, they begin far too late in the film, and you are forced to sit through a good half-hour of clunky exposition before anything really kicks off. AVP is an emotionless, inhuman affair, but the action is well-handled, and both the xenomorphs and predators look better than they ever have. If we were subjected to a less drawn-out build to the first set-piece, and if the filmmakers hadn't been so greedy and pandered to a pre-teen audience, we might have had a pretty good time watching two races of gruesome monsters pounding each other to fluorescent pulp. As it is, the film is passably entertaining, but nothing else. It's too empty, too long, and nowhere-near scary or violent enough. Expand
  3. Oct 7, 2011
    The only (and little) good thing in AvsP is probably the respectives mythologies of the two legendary franchises. But direction and interpretation are both deplorable; if I want to see a fight as the one between the two creatures in AvsP, I can see professional wrestling at TV.
  4. Jun 9, 2013
    Probably the biggest disappointment of all time. Very little Alien/Predator encounters and when there were they weren't well done at all. Just one heaping pile of trash.
  5. Feb 18, 2012
    This movie had so much potential, and it was ruined by bad acting, story, effects and everything. Where is the interspecies deathmatch all us nerds hoped for? Don't watch this, it is a trashy 90 minutes of your life!
  6. Apr 2, 2012
    The movie was horrifying in a really bad way. There is some of the worst acting i have ever seen in this film. The action is completly pointless and pitiful. Why did someone make this movie. A disgraceful movie on every level. Please tell me this was a joke.
  7. Feb 20, 2013
    Bad...Basically every aspect of it...I waste no time to review this thing, you should not waste time watching it!
  8. May 27, 2013
    It's horrible. I hate that Xenomorph and Predator fighting like Professional wrestling. This is like Terminator 3, hot sexy woman T-X fighting like Terminator 3. It was horrible. Even the T-X was male like body builder fighting like pro-wrestlers, I wouldn't like it. I just wanted human trying to survive from Alien and Predator. I didn't want Alien and Predator fight. I used to love Xenomorph, but now they look unrealistic. They look like the man is inside the costume. They walk like a human, their leg is too long, their body is like a human. I really liked the Alien looked little like Xenomorph from Prometheus. My favorite monsters are from Metro 2033.

I also, hated the huge giant Xenomorph. I hate monsters, robots that are tall as tower. Like Godzilla, Transformers. I like monsters, size of Velociraptor.

A reductive spook show in which a bunch of puny humans get chased around by scary monsters.
  2. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    The thing-a-ma-jigs have it out with the whatch-a-ma-call-its -- as several humans scurry and scream between -- in Alien Vs. Predator, the kind of two-for-one dogfight (last repped by "Freddy Vs. Jason") that usually does more to bury a franchise than revive it.
  3. It's a murky, empty-headed dive into the depths of the Antarctic and the heart of monster movie cliches that leaves you praying for most of the cast to get killed off fast, to put them (and us) out of our misery.