Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: August 13, 2004
5.6
Mixed or average reviews based on 247 Ratings
WATCH NOW
PatC.Apr 4, 2007
The 2nd half is actually a good actioner as the Aliens & Predators take on each other, but it cannot overcome the 1st half setup, which is exceptionally awkward and inexplicably self-defeating on nearly every level.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
AccarisOct 31, 2007
Even the 1999 videogame would have provided a better story than the schlock in this mind dump of an action film. Delving into the depths of teenage boy fantasy cheese that not even MTV would dare touch, Anderson somehow manages to suck out Even the 1999 videogame would have provided a better story than the schlock in this mind dump of an action film. Delving into the depths of teenage boy fantasy cheese that not even MTV would dare touch, Anderson somehow manages to suck out whatever limited potential remained in an otherwise comedic franchise. Ham fisted action scenes involving Power Rangers-esque movie monsters are the order of the day here, surrounded by characters so weak that I started to feel more attached to the fodder crew from Alien Resurrection. Expand
4 of 5 users found this helpful
asylumspadezNov 19, 2011
It was decent. I was a bit disapointed that the plot wasnt thought out more and it didnt have that many confrontations between the Aliens and Predators either. I dont think I would recommend this to any one.
HyliadOct 7, 2011
The only (and little) good thing in AvsP is probably the respectives mythologies of the two legendary franchises. But direction and interpretation are both deplorable; if I want to see a fight as the one between the two creatures in AvsP, IThe only (and little) good thing in AvsP is probably the respectives mythologies of the two legendary franchises. But direction and interpretation are both deplorable; if I want to see a fight as the one between the two creatures in AvsP, I can see professional wrestling at TV. Expand
PrimalHunter70Feb 18, 2012
This movie had so much potential, and it was ruined by bad acting, story, effects and everything. Where is the interspecies deathmatch all us nerds hoped for? Don't watch this, it is a trashy 90 minutes of your life!
csw12Apr 2, 2012
The movie was horrifying in a really bad way. There is some of the worst acting i have ever seen in this film. The action is completly pointless and pitiful. Why did someone make this movie. A disgraceful movie on every level. Please tell meThe movie was horrifying in a really bad way. There is some of the worst acting i have ever seen in this film. The action is completly pointless and pitiful. Why did someone make this movie. A disgraceful movie on every level. Please tell me this was a joke. Expand
oliver1hFeb 20, 2013
Bad...Basically every aspect of it...I waste no time to review this thing, you should not waste time watching it!
ascoltami86May 27, 2013
It's horrible. I hate that Xenomorph and Predator fighting like Professional wrestling. This is like Terminator 3, hot sexy woman T-X fighting like Terminator 3. It was horrible. Even the T-X was male like body builder fighting likeIt's horrible. I hate that Xenomorph and Predator fighting like Professional wrestling. This is like Terminator 3, hot sexy woman T-X fighting like Terminator 3. It was horrible. Even the T-X was male like body builder fighting like pro-wrestlers, I wouldn't like it. I just wanted human trying to survive from Alien and Predator. I didn't want Alien and Predator fight. I used to love Xenomorph, but now they look unrealistic. They look like the man is inside the costume. They walk like a human, their leg is too long, their body is like a human. I really liked the Alien looked little like Xenomorph from Prometheus. My favorite monsters are from Metro 2033.

I also, hated the huge giant Xenomorph. I hate monsters, robots that are tall as tower. Like Godzilla, Transformers. I like monsters, size of Velociraptor.
AaronO.Oct 6, 2006
This movie was just crap. They made so many mistakes before it was even filmed: 1) Crappy script with a stupid story about predators (who are attracted to warm weather) hunting in Antarctica. 2) A crappy director who is actually world renown This movie was just crap. They made so many mistakes before it was even filmed: 1) Crappy script with a stupid story about predators (who are attracted to warm weather) hunting in Antarctica. 2) A crappy director who is actually world renown for making crappy films. 3) They made it PG-13. I went and saw it opening night just because I have so much respect for the Alien and Predator movies, but this movie didn Expand
ApocalypseBrownJun 2, 2007
Tripe anyone? P.Anderson is one of the worst directors in Hollywood. This film is an sad stain on both the Alien and Predator series. Enjoyable until the films dissolves into a terrible mess. Hall of Turkey class!
zacksSep 22, 2007
horrible movie...didnt live up to expectations...i wasnt expecting another aliens but this was worse than AR
MikeC.Oct 11, 2005
A wasted premise. whoever financed this is probably kicked themselves or maybe not because it was obviously made just to make money with total disreguard to quality.
JoshE.Oct 14, 2005
Wow, what a turgid piece of junk. AVP threw out any of the logic in the alien mythology and ground it into the floor with absolutely no atmosphere, terrible art direction, and horrible special effects. Only the first 2 Alien movies were Wow, what a turgid piece of junk. AVP threw out any of the logic in the alien mythology and ground it into the floor with absolutely no atmosphere, terrible art direction, and horrible special effects. Only the first 2 Alien movies were great (totally different movies though) but the 3rd and 4th were at least well done (but terrible otherwise.) They all had the strong atmosphere and art direction though. AVP looks like they took toys off of the shelf and used them for the effects shots. The story was relentless, but not in a good way. Aliens was merciless, but it had class unlike this barbaric, bludgeoning meatheaded "film." No real story, just plot points to explain the ridiculous premise. Why did the Aliens have to be on earth to begin with? It kind of ruins the deep space boogie man nightmares of the original. The characters were utterly lame and started dropping like flies so quickly, there was never a chance in hell to care about any of them, unlike the other movies. In the end, there is not one redeeming quality to this film. It's another desperate attempt to make money off of an awesome original concept, which is so rare now adays because of all of the derivative sequels (just like this one)... totally burying this franchise once and for all. Please rest in peace. Expand
AaronM.Jan 23, 2006
I kept wating for it to get better. It didn't.
TJJan 17, 2007
It's hard to imagine someone screwing up a movie with Aliens and Predators - all you need is a heap of Aliens being hunted by predators and some humans getting in the way every now and then. Instead you get shit. If 3 or 4 predators It's hard to imagine someone screwing up a movie with Aliens and Predators - all you need is a heap of Aliens being hunted by predators and some humans getting in the way every now and then. Instead you get shit. If 3 or 4 predators can't take down 4 aliens then something is seriously wrong. How does someone like Paul Anderson keep getting work? If I kept performing as badly at my work I'd be fired instantly - especially after being handed 2 surefire franchises on a platter. Expand
HalfwelshmanFeb 14, 2012
While re-watching AVP, I found myself feeling a profound sense of de-ja vu. Where have I witnessed this exact same plot before? Oh - now I remember - Resident Evil. Writer/Director Paul W S Anderson isn't only plundering two successful sci-fiWhile re-watching AVP, I found myself feeling a profound sense of de-ja vu. Where have I witnessed this exact same plot before? Oh - now I remember - Resident Evil. Writer/Director Paul W S Anderson isn't only plundering two successful sci-fi series with this film, he's ripping off his own films. In both we have a team of "experts" going underground on a journey of discovery, with a hidden, sinister purpose, and in both, things go sour when something nasty begins to pick off team members one-by-one. I wasn't expecting originality from a film based on a game that in turn is based on two series of films, but come on, Mr Anderson - change the record! Anyway, the film offers just about what you'd expect from the title Alien vs. Predator - two icons of science fiction turning each other into goo, with poor old humanity stuck in the middle. The characterisation is lacking even by Anderson's standards - we follow a team of stereotypes, each with a singular emotion, or personality quirk, or debilitating illness that defines them. Sanaa Lathan is meant to be the film's hero, but simply comes across as a Ripley knock-off crossed with Bear Grylls. Colin Salmon, though effortlessly cool as always, plays EXACTLY the same character he did in Anderson's Resident Evil. You've also got such interesting characters as archaeologist Sebastian (Raoul Bova), who's Italian, Graeme (Ewan Bremner), who's Scottish, Mark the mercenary (Tommy Flanagan) who's got a scar, and Adele (Agathe de La Boulaye) who's French AND a woman. Wow, these are really the kinds of characters you can get emotionally invested in. At least you've got Lance Henriksen at least attempting to give a performance as Mr Weyland (and giving the film some semblance of continuity with the Alien series), though he generally manages to get by simply by having an awesome voice. Despite the lazy characters and pretty dreadful script, to Paul W S Anderson's credit, the film does get a whole lot better once the titular extra-terrestrial brawl begins in earnest. Anderson has undeniable skill in directing action sequences, and the acid-blood-spraying fights are extremely entertaining. As fun as they are, they begin far too late in the film, and you are forced to sit through a good half-hour of clunky exposition before anything really kicks off. AVP is an emotionless, inhuman affair, but the action is well-handled, and both the xenomorphs and predators look better than they ever have. If we were subjected to a less drawn-out build to the first set-piece, and if the filmmakers hadn't been so greedy and pandered to a pre-teen audience, we might have had a pretty good time watching two races of gruesome monsters pounding each other to fluorescent pulp. As it is, the film is passably entertaining, but nothing else. It's too empty, too long, and nowhere-near scary or violent enough. Expand
KadeemluvmusicJul 25, 2015
I played a lot of AVP video games (including the 2010 reboot), but turning it into a movie just would've been good if Sigourney Weaver and/or Arnold Schwarzenegger came back and kill each other. Unfortunately, what I got was a bad example ofI played a lot of AVP video games (including the 2010 reboot), but turning it into a movie just would've been good if Sigourney Weaver and/or Arnold Schwarzenegger came back and kill each other. Unfortunately, what I got was a bad example of video game movies and that anybody could care less about the sort-of spinoff of two iconic sci-fi franchises pitting two villains in one stupid ass blockbuster. Freddy vs. Jason, anyone? Aliens vs. Predator is by far one of my absolute distaste of crappy video game movies. Expand
SethEvandorMay 31, 2015
I don't get it. (spoilers ahead)

I don't get it. (spoilers ahead)

I can get behind the setting, I can get behind why the temple exists, why the predators are going there, why there are weapons there... But for some reason this all has to be explained, every single bit of it and the movie has to waste time doing it. They could of just added some narration at the beginning and ending of the movie, instead of having the characters tell us themselves. Some guy read heiroglyphs and the story behind the temple and why aliens vs predators happens is explained, long before the movie is even over. Having all the whole "........................................................................................................................... what are they? ............................................................................................................" thing with the predator weapons was unnecessary, I was bored stiff, I didn't know what I was watching, what the point of this was, and the weapons didn't really look scary and they just looked so... plastic? What was that scene about? Why was it so prolonged? Am I supposed to be looking at the cool smoke? It's obvious they are predator weapons! We don't care about the small talk and pointless stuff the scientists do, but we see them taking this trip, explaining what is going on, setting up equipment, going down there, and finding the weapons, and it could of just been 5 minutes long.

The whole shifting temple thing isn't tense, I just felt they weren't in imminent danger. You know there are predators, but the aliens are the scary ones. Then there is the "which side are you gonna take" thing, which I didn't get. We don't know the predator and it serves as a barrier to the **** plot which involves the human teaming up with the predator by gaining it's respect... or trust? or did it just think the human was useful?

I loved the whole ritual chamber thing with the eggs and facehuggers. The scene where they watch the predator mark itself is awesome. The plot would of been great if it were an Indiana Jones movie, but it wasn't and I didn't even care when the characters got hurt or if they died. We know the humans are in a death trap and most of them are probably all going to die. I wanted to see the awesome action. The end of the queen is basically crap, it's not exciting. I thought is that really it? It was. The movie should of took all the focus off the humans, they are the cattle, they are the prey. It's a shame since I think the aliens vs predator action and the directing overall was incredibly well done, but there is so little action action and the human + predator thing wasn't good.

Basically they took aliens, predator and **** it all up.
MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015
lien Vs. Predator is a gimmick - an all-too-blatant attempt to lure fanboys away from their computer games and into theaters. It's not likely that the movie will be of great interest to anyone else, except perhaps as a curiosity. As anlien Vs. Predator is a gimmick - an all-too-blatant attempt to lure fanboys away from their computer games and into theaters. It's not likely that the movie will be of great interest to anyone else, except perhaps as a curiosity. As an attempt to revive two flagging franchises, the film succeeds in reminding us of how far they have fallen. Sure, the Aliens in Alien Vs. Predator look just like their Aliens counterparts, but gone is the creepy terror they once produced. And, compared to the hunter of Predator, the creatures in this movie turn out to be pushovers.

As promised by the title, the movie does indeed feature battles between Aliens and Predators, although you have to wait until the final 30 minutes to get to that point. And, by then, due in large part to poor direction and non-existent character development, you may be asleep. Helmsman Paul W. S. Anderson (not to be confused with Paul Thomas Anderson - this is the Resident Evil/Event Horizon guy) has no grasp of why the first two Alien movies and the original Predator were successful - atmosphere and pacing. Alien Vs. Predator has neither. It drags interminably, and a lot of the scenes are too murky to see anything. Anderson tries to copy some of the things done by Ridley Scott, John McTiernan, and James Cameron, but his second-rate imitations do little more than emphasize the chasm that exists between him and his more accomplished predecessors.

The movie offers little in the way of interesting revelations, other than a couple of nods to established Alien and Predator continuity. The highlights of the production, at least for its core audience, are the battle scenes. Unfortunately, they're disappointing. Instead of being on a grand scale, they're usually one-on-one struggles, and they typically don't last very long. Plus, the camera work and editing are so shoddy that it's sometimes impossible to figure out what's going on. And, since our "rooting interest" is supposed to lie with the plastic, one-dimensional humans, we're forced to see them get involved when we would rather just watch the two ugly extraterrestrial species go at it. The ending isn't any less credible than the rest of the film, but the "surprise" coda is so silly and expected that it has no shock value whatsoever.

The film is critic-proof and it will find an audience, but it's hard to imagine even the film's target demographic (teenage boys) being overly enthusiastic about the product. It's disposable entertainment of the worst kind, and its first-weekend popularity will be a testimony to how low our standards of suitable movie-making have fallen. Alien Vs. Predator has no characters and no story. But it has name recognition, and, in today's market, that's often more important. Plus, it's rated PG-13 (although one can quibble with that - there's quite a bit of blood and gore to be found, making one wonder exactly where the dividing line between PG-13 and R is). Time will tell whether this is the last time the Aliens and Predators grace the screen, but, based on what's in evidence here, if they return again to tussle, I'll find something better to do with my time.
EpicLadySpongeJan 3, 2017
Alien vs. Predator is just a big letdown for those that wanted both 20th Century Fox franchises to clash down ever since the beginning of the fight since 1990.
leofromthedarkDec 27, 2016
I never thought I could dislike an Alien movie but unfortunately this movie exists. This movie somehow takes two of the most iconic movie monsters ever and makes them dull and uninteresting but still exhilarating compared to cardboard humanI never thought I could dislike an Alien movie but unfortunately this movie exists. This movie somehow takes two of the most iconic movie monsters ever and makes them dull and uninteresting but still exhilarating compared to cardboard human characters in this movie. The plot is horribly bland and the lack of any good character development is a big blow. Not the mention the choppy directing which just comes off as just plain ugly. Do yourself a favour and skip this one. Expand