Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: August 13, 2004
5.6
Mixed or average reviews based on 247 Ratings
WATCH NOW
juliankennedy23Jun 21, 2014
Alien vs. Predator: 5/10: Aliens check; Predators check; Space Marines; umm Space Marines? Okay who took out the Space Marines and put in this fodder.

Some surprise moments and some thrills but not nearly enough and AVP is over way to fast. Everything is speeded up and suspense is simply zero. Both the entire series of Alien movies and the first Predator film depended upon moments of silence to build up the suspense. (Nothing really happens at all of the first hour of Alien for example.)

This movie on the other hand moves so much like a video game you will be reaching for the controller. The Predators look okay but the Aliens are too cartoonish and seem to change size at random.

The plot and the back-story are simply inept. What is wrong with an alien Queen in the New York subway system or Predators fighting in Iraq? Heck putting them in an office block, cruise ship or shopping mall at Christmas would be preferable. (The Predators take out the Orange Julius while the Alien Queen makes her nest in Victoria Secret.)

The fun of aliens on earth is watching them walk into a Seven-Eleven and taking out some customers not fighting in a silly pyramid that could be on any planet in the universe.
AceIsCoolProAug 13, 2010
I thought the movie was pretty good. But the first 2 preds shouldn't have died so easily. But worse was that the pred teamed up with the woman. But the rest was good.
marcmyworksJan 11, 2014
Not as bad as it could have been. My big issue with AVP is that it is a quick film (90 minutes) and it does little to explain why the Predators use the Aliens for sport.
BrandonBonaseraFeb 7, 2015
Alien vs. Predator is a dumb disappointment, but it was still, in my opinion, a fun, mindless pop-corn flick despite lacking in blood, gore, strong characters and tension.
KL.Jan 3, 2008
Exactly as the title say... "alien vs. predator", and that was really all this movie amounted to. I think there should have been more to this film than just two space aliens fighting it out. I think most people of 18 years or older would not Exactly as the title say... "alien vs. predator", and that was really all this movie amounted to. I think there should have been more to this film than just two space aliens fighting it out. I think most people of 18 years or older would not get off on the idea of the alien fighting the predator which seems to be the primary selling point of the film... A Vs. P, and most are too mature for that. Expand
0 of 3 users found this helpful
ArkonBladeJul 22, 2011
im a huge AVP fan in terms of the games on the PC and jagaur and i the comic from the 90's . so a movie would seem natural and be a great idea . the problem starts off first with it taking half the movie to even start . it trys to build theim a huge AVP fan in terms of the games on the PC and jagaur and i the comic from the 90's . so a movie would seem natural and be a great idea . the problem starts off first with it taking half the movie to even start . it trys to build the charicters up abit so i guess we will care about them but lets face it we went to see this to see the aliens and the predators kick some ass. first off this should have been set in the far future and in space with the colonial marines . instead we are in antarctica which all be it not a bad setting since we are getting a secluded no escape place . the action between the aliens and the predator was actally pretty good and there are some amazing looking action sequenses . though just not enough there . in the end its kinda mediocore but i didnt think it was terrable atleast. Expand
AnsonGMay 2, 2007
I saw Alien Vs. Predator and had ambivalent feelings about it. It definitely could have been a lot better, had better actors, better script, better reason and logic, and better atmosphere. It also could have been much worse than it was as I saw Alien Vs. Predator and had ambivalent feelings about it. It definitely could have been a lot better, had better actors, better script, better reason and logic, and better atmosphere. It also could have been much worse than it was as well. What is does have going for it to some small degree is that the film was directed by Paul W. S. Anderson, a competent suspense, science fiction director accustomed to working with this kind of material. Anderson gives the audience what he thinks they want to see, and going by the money his movies make he doesn't fall far off the mark most of the time. For me(being someone I gratefully acknowledge as being outside the majority of the movie-going population) he disappoints with his cliché-ridden dialog, tissue-thin, stereotypical characters and plot threads, his over-used CGI effects, and his general arrogance to presume how little the movie-going population knows. Notwithstanding all of that, Alien Vs. Predator has some special moments. What did I like: some of the sets were impressive, a couple of the fights were well-executed, Lance Henriksen (being the only "real" actor in the film, and the Artic setting surrounding this hidden pyramid). I haven't gone into any detail of the plot for two reasons: (1)many other reviewers have already done so and (2)the plot is so ridiculous that any real scrutiny would be more enlightening than anything that happened in the film. Is ALien Vs. Predator entertaining? Yes, it is - like many accidents are. It has just enough going for it to keep the viewer engaged but never really satisfied. Expand
KevinMMar 13, 2009
I wouldn't really recommend this movie to anyone, it's alright at best. Some of the scenes seemed taken directly from some of Paul WS Anderson's other movies, like the map out of the tomb, as if he didn't have any new I wouldn't really recommend this movie to anyone, it's alright at best. Some of the scenes seemed taken directly from some of Paul WS Anderson's other movies, like the map out of the tomb, as if he didn't have any new ideas, just recycling. Expand
CharlesH.Feb 18, 2008
For an action movie, it's attempts at capturing the honor associated with the hunt are decent, but the plot and acting leave something to be desired.
LeeK.Dec 15, 2007
What all the critics say are completely true!!! This is by far one of the most pathetic movie ever shown!!!
SantiagoMAKiiNAJul 5, 2012
What a cool movie. Seriously. West Anderson does cool. And not much else. If you look down the list of films he's participated in they are all "cool." The funny thing is when I saw this movie in the theater I had no idea who this guy was. IWhat a cool movie. Seriously. West Anderson does cool. And not much else. If you look down the list of films he's participated in they are all "cool." The funny thing is when I saw this movie in the theater I had no idea who this guy was. I just wanted to watch Aliens and Predators kicking each other's ass. And I was hoping not to leave the theater wanting to shoot myself, as I did after Alien Resurrection.
This time around I was watching this on DVD and was well informed on the guy in charge. All the elements were there. Frankly, what better choice to film an ass kicking than the guy that dished it out in Resident Evil. Worse case scenario, he's gonna trade zombies for the creatures of choice and set the camera to his usual slow motion signature visuals. How bad can this be? ... It turns out, the movie is, as I said, pretty cool.
The plot is well threaded with a thriller atmosphere. The distant town in no man's land. The historic references to a prophecy of sorts. Digging up the inevitable past. The rich guy that has enough money to push things too far. And the always required character that warns everyone not to embark in the adventure but embarks in the adventure herself regardless. All the fun contradictions that make for a well designed action flick.
The events follow each other with just enough predictability to make you both anticipate and feel smart. Yet the repertoire remains fresh and exciting. The fights between Predators and Aliens are perfectly choreographed. In fact, I finished the movie wanting to see more. That's how an action movie is supposed to make you feel. Wanting to run back to the theater to see more of the same.
Looking back on the Alien anthology, WS Anderson would have been the perfect call for Alien Resurrection. After the heavy delivery of Alien 3, there was a much needed return to the action of Aliens, but with just enough emotional content to deliver a good action thriller. Perhaps we can call this movie the 4th installment in the series instead. What do you think?
rapidfire705Nov 26, 2013
Originally I hated this movie but I watched it again and actually it's pretty decent oh yeah it's not good but not all of it was terrible it's got great cinematography, a decent amount of cgi, good practical effects, an amazing set, niceOriginally I hated this movie but I watched it again and actually it's pretty decent oh yeah it's not good but not all of it was terrible it's got great cinematography, a decent amount of cgi, good practical effects, an amazing set, nice editing and awsome action. The story isn't good and some of the writing is very poor but it does give you 40 minutes worth of character development. Sadly there are no interesting characters except for the main character who at least is smart and takes charge and acts like a total badass. I also have to say that I like that they explain why the xenomorphs and the predators fight but again bad plot and story. But I could have forgiven so much if it weren't for one thing, they make the predator a good guy witch his bull because the predator has always been a villain yet they make him a super hero. Let me mention that the predators kill people for their skulls as trophies, they are asswholes ok jeez. And the ending isn't so great it's basically a sequel bate witch this movie managed to get with trust me isn't a pretty site. Expand
Larry223Aug 15, 2014
¿Alguien me puede decir que es tan malo sobre esta película? Soy un Gran fan de Aliens y Predators y no entiendo por que la odian tanto. He oído que es por que en los cómics en los que Alien y Predator tienen un crossover son muy buenos y que¿Alguien me puede decir que es tan malo sobre esta película? Soy un Gran fan de Aliens y Predators y no entiendo por que la odian tanto. He oído que es por que en los cómics en los que Alien y Predator tienen un crossover son muy buenos y que la película arruina la continuidad de los cómics. No se si los cómics son canon, y creo que no lo son, he visto las películas de Alien y Predator y esta no contradice en nada ninguna de las películas. Cabe perfectamente en el universo de ambos, además de que nos muestra que los "Predator" ya conocían a los Xenomorfos y los usan para cazar desde hace siglos. Cabe bien y no arruina el origen de los Xenomorfos, aparte de que Prometeo no contradice nada aquí tampoco. Es una película buena aparte de que hay personajes memorables, pocos, pero algo es algo. Le doy un 06/10 es una película decente. Expand