Awake

6.2

1. TinaS
    Dec 2, 2007
    This movie s truly getting undercredited by those who don't understand it and appreciate it for what it is. What it is, is an emotional thrill ride that adds an enitrely new dimension of fear to cinema. It involves the theme of powerlessness, and the narrative techniques illustrate how death parallels life. The performances are all sympathic, except for perhaps Jessica Alba, who This movie s truly getting undercredited by those who don't understand it and appreciate it for what it is. What it is, is an emotional thrill ride that adds an enitrely new dimension of fear to cinema. It involves the theme of powerlessness, and the narrative techniques illustrate how death parallels life. The performances are all sympathic, except for perhaps Jessica Alba, who didn't have enough range for her characters depth. Please see this truly suspensefull thriller that does for the operating room what Pyscho did for showers. Expand
  2. BrettK
    Dec 5, 2007
    This movie has more suspense than I expected and is not nearly as predictable as I feared. The critics are way off on this one. Ebert has it about right. Realistic it is not, entertaining it is. The movie ends just before it starts to get old. Worth seeing.
  3. SkylerI
    Dec 8, 2007
    I went to see it with a group of friends, and we all loved it! It's not a horror movie, and is less of a thriller than I expected, so if that's what you're expecting you may be disappointed. However, there are unique and shocking plot twists, and a fantastic end, which may or may not come as a surprising tear-jerker. It's surprisingly like The Invisible, so I would I went to see it with a group of friends, and we all loved it! It's not a horror movie, and is less of a thriller than I expected, so if that's what you're expecting you may be disappointed. However, there are unique and shocking plot twists, and a fantastic end, which may or may not come as a surprising tear-jerker. It's surprisingly like The Invisible, so I would recommend it to all fans of that movie. Expand
  4. AlbertoS.
    Jan 4, 2008
    I really liked it! It's amazing to take a glance at the pain of a mother and witness what they're capable of... I went home and gave my mom a hug! Good cast, great acting.. It was great!
  5. BrandonW.
    Mar 7, 2008
    I rarely disagree with the critics; they are generally quite on par but this time some of them are waaaay off par. This movie was surprisingly very good, acting was decent but the storyline was amongst the best I have seen in a while.
  6. SeanW.
    Jan 4, 2009
    I found this suprisingly enjoyable. Christensen and Alba gives better than average yet still mediocre performances. Story is generally gripping, except for a few spots. Overall a worthwhile film
  7. Feb 3, 2011
    At start u think its drama, but as movie folds out, it reveals its true "face". Must see on all scales, because of great acting, great script and fabulous directing. Tension is on all the time, and this is just one of those movies that are not welcomed proprely by audience, dont ask me why...7 stars.
  8. TravD.
    Nov 29, 2007
    Very surprisingly good.
  9. MikeT.
    Nov 30, 2007
    This was great! She is far too hot.
  10. SandraMiller
    Dec 1, 2007
    This movie was AWESOME!!! I don't understand the critics.
  11. BobK.
    Dec 2, 2007
    I wanted to see it because of the disparity between what the critic's score was and the viewer's score was on Metacritic. They were both right.
  12. NellS.
    Dec 2, 2007
    I expected worse, but since I'm having surgery next week, I was curious. The movie held my attention and was a very servicable thriller. Read Ebert's review before passing judgement.
  13. Jennifer
    Dec 3, 2007
    Highly underrated flick. Worth seeing.
  14. AlejandroM.
    Dec 3, 2007
    Cool movie weird twist....you gotta go see it to get what i mean...not a movie to bring your girl to see it with.
  15. ChadS.
    Dec 8, 2007
    If you're awake during open heart surgery, wouldn't you scream gutturally non-stop for an hour rather than have lucid prosaic thoughts about your pain? "Awake" plays like "Next" meets "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". That last sentence sounded like a joke. That's my point. It's not a matter of if you think too hard, we're talking about thinking, period. If you're awake during open heart surgery, wouldn't you scream gutturally non-stop for an hour rather than have lucid prosaic thoughts about your pain? "Awake" plays like "Next" meets "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". That last sentence sounded like a joke. That's my point. It's not a matter of if you think too hard, we're talking about thinking, period. "Awake" is unintentionally funny. It's Robin Cook gone meta. When one of Clay's ribs is cracked, he forgets to scream. Since Clay(Hayden Christensen) is rich, he chooses Dr. Jack Harper(Terrence Howard), a second-rate doctor, as an extension of his re-education, the crowning touch that follows his first subway ride to Brooklyn and sex with a working-class girl(falling in love with Jessica Alba is not hard). Clay wants to be one of the common people. But c'mon. We're not talking about eating at Taco Bell instead of a five-star restaurant; we're talking about open-heart surgery! "Awake" is a bad film; a hoot. But it's undeniably fun. Evil is fun. If you're going to make a second-rate thriller, it's bound to be fun if your main character recovers his memory. Alcoholic fathers in Santa suits are fun. "Awake" is painless. Clay forgets to scream; you'll forget to, too. Expand
  16. DinoP.
    Apr 2, 2008
    This movie is really great, this critics don't know shit!!
  17. JohnD
    Apr 26, 2009
    This movie is surprisingly good. one of the best plot twist i have ever seen. some part are touching. pretty face alba, what more do you want? i am afraid the critics got it all wrong. watch it!
  18. Jul 29, 2013
    I loved this movie. It has enough twists that you aren't bored or predicting most of the twists. Of course, it has some predictable twists but all movies do. It has its shortcomings but overall, it was a great movie. I would definitely buy this movie.

What a waste. Check out "Breakdown" or Aldo Lado's 1971 Italian giallo "Long Night Of The Short Dolls" for a far better treatments of the same subject.
  2. Christensen delivers a low-key performance that is ultimately quite appealing, and he's well matched by the beautiful Alba. Olin brings unexpected depths to what could have been a stock role, and Terrence Howard uses his easy ability to project innate decency to excellent effect.
    Awake is short enough (about 85 minutes) that it doesn't wear out its welcome. It's not a good movie but it's silly and lively enough to keep most viewers from dozing off, even if that might be a more profitable use of their time.