6.3

1. Feb 24, 2013
    This movie gets two big thumbs up for eye candy and the background story. The plot and flow of the movie however are both weak. This film is based on phenomena of anesthetic awareness, something we saw for the first time, 15 years earlier in a Tales From The Crypt episode. It was a great episode and seemed like it should make a good movie, but this wasn't it. Awake moves very slowly and isThis movie gets two big thumbs up for eye candy and the background story. The plot and flow of the movie however are both weak. This film is based on phenomena of anesthetic awareness, something we saw for the first time, 15 years earlier in a Tales From The Crypt episode. It was a great episode and seemed like it should make a good movie, but this wasn't it. Awake moves very slowly and is pretty boring for the first 45 minutes or so, and after that it just jumps around. Hayden yelling at people who can't hear him, gets old, quickly, but it continues to go on and on and on. It has a good cast, its a great idea, but it's only a decent story, and much too slow for me. Expand
  2. Nov 19, 2011
    The entire idea of the film was great and I thought it started off interesting as well but it just fell apart. Poor acting, Plot takes a huge turn for the worst, and it ends poorly as well.
  3. Jan 1, 2011
    i don't know what to say about this movie. and my review must be at least 150 characters long to be submitted and i don't know what to write about this ****
  4. Jun 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A premise ruined by terrible writing, stupid characters, awful acting and medical protocol has gone out the window. Hayden Christensen acts all whiny both in voice over and on camera. Jessica Alba's character is a terrible mastermind in killing somebody during surgery, she forgets to cover her tracks and avoid anything that can be used as evidence, Numerous surgeons including the anesthesiologist, don't act like real-life surgeons; not to mention Terence Howard's character has numerous malpractice suits against him, and who's only chosen because he's a friend of the protagonist (idiot).

Anybody who had surgery and/or have medical knowledge, can point everything wrong depicted. This should be dissected, cooked and fed to starving kids.
  5. Feb 3, 2011
    At start u think its drama, but as movie folds out, it reveals its true "face". Must see on all scales, because of great acting, great script and fabulous directing. Tension is on all the time, and this is just one of those movies that are not welcomed proprely by audience, dont ask me why...7 stars.
  6. TravD.
    Nov 29, 2007
    Very surprisingly good.
  7. MikeT.
    Nov 30, 2007
    This was great! She is far too hot.
  8. BobS.
    Dec 1, 2007
    Utter crap. Made my eyeballs bleed. Extended voiceover for brain-dead plot. Hayden is the new Keanu. Line: 'This is so f- obvious!' Exactly.
  9. KatherineS.
    Dec 1, 2007
    I just left feeling unsatisfied somehow. it just wasn't very good storytelling. but it was about as entertaining as a night at home watching a good drama tv show.
  10. SandraMiller
    Dec 1, 2007
    This movie was AWESOME!!! I don't understand the critics.
  11. BobK.
    Dec 2, 2007
    I wanted to see it because of the disparity between what the critic's score was and the viewer's score was on Metacritic. They were both right.
  12. NellS.
    Dec 2, 2007
    I expected worse, but since I'm having surgery next week, I was curious. The movie held my attention and was a very servicable thriller. Read Ebert's review before passing judgement.
  13. TinaS
    Dec 2, 2007
    This movie s truly getting undercredited by those who don't understand it and appreciate it for what it is. What it is, is an emotional thrill ride that adds an enitrely new dimension of fear to cinema. It involves the theme of powerlessness, and the narrative techniques illustrate how death parallels life. The performances are all sympathic, except for perhaps Jessica Alba, who This movie s truly getting undercredited by those who don't understand it and appreciate it for what it is. What it is, is an emotional thrill ride that adds an enitrely new dimension of fear to cinema. It involves the theme of powerlessness, and the narrative techniques illustrate how death parallels life. The performances are all sympathic, except for perhaps Jessica Alba, who didn't have enough range for her characters depth. Please see this truly suspensefull thriller that does for the operating room what Pyscho did for showers. Expand
  14. Jennifer
    Dec 3, 2007
    Highly underrated flick. Worth seeing.
  15. AlejandroM.
    Dec 3, 2007
    Cool movie weird twist....you gotta go see it to get what i mean...not a movie to bring your girl to see it with.
  16. UncleDouglasBigelow
    Dec 3, 2007
    This movie sucked. I can't stress that enough, people. I even saw this for free and I'm still mift. I want my life back.
  17. JaredC.
    Dec 4, 2007
    Awake huh, well guess what, I fell asleep.
  18. BrettK
    Dec 5, 2007
    This movie has more suspense than I expected and is not nearly as predictable as I feared. The critics are way off on this one. Ebert has it about right. Realistic it is not, entertaining it is. The movie ends just before it starts to get old. Worth seeing.
  19. FrasierM.
    Dec 6, 2007
    This is a poor excuse for a Suspense/Thriller. I got bored during the credits! All this hype for this movie, I was expecting a very high quality movie... I was SO wrong! They got two of the worst actors (Hayden Christensen- Sar Wars: Episodes 2 and 3 and Jessica Beil- Fantastic Four franchise) to star in this dreadfull movie! I don't know if this movie would have been good with good This is a poor excuse for a Suspense/Thriller. I got bored during the credits! All this hype for this movie, I was expecting a very high quality movie... I was SO wrong! They got two of the worst actors (Hayden Christensen- Sar Wars: Episodes 2 and 3 and Jessica Beil- Fantastic Four franchise) to star in this dreadfull movie! I don't know if this movie would have been good with good actors, but these two didn't exactly didn't help! Expand
  20. EthanH.
    Dec 6, 2007
    Did anyone notice that this movie is a complete rip off from a Stephen King short story?
  21. SkylerI
    Dec 8, 2007
    I went to see it with a group of friends, and we all loved it! It's not a horror movie, and is less of a thriller than I expected, so if that's what you're expecting you may be disappointed. However, there are unique and shocking plot twists, and a fantastic end, which may or may not come as a surprising tear-jerker. It's surprisingly like The Invisible, so I would I went to see it with a group of friends, and we all loved it! It's not a horror movie, and is less of a thriller than I expected, so if that's what you're expecting you may be disappointed. However, there are unique and shocking plot twists, and a fantastic end, which may or may not come as a surprising tear-jerker. It's surprisingly like The Invisible, so I would recommend it to all fans of that movie. Expand
  22. ChadS.
    Dec 8, 2007
    If you're awake during open heart surgery, wouldn't you scream gutturally non-stop for an hour rather than have lucid prosaic thoughts about your pain? "Awake" plays like "Next" meets "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". That last sentence sounded like a joke. That's my point. It's not a matter of if you think too hard, we're talking about thinking, period. If you're awake during open heart surgery, wouldn't you scream gutturally non-stop for an hour rather than have lucid prosaic thoughts about your pain? "Awake" plays like "Next" meets "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". That last sentence sounded like a joke. That's my point. It's not a matter of if you think too hard, we're talking about thinking, period. "Awake" is unintentionally funny. It's Robin Cook gone meta. When one of Clay's ribs is cracked, he forgets to scream. Since Clay(Hayden Christensen) is rich, he chooses Dr. Jack Harper(Terrence Howard), a second-rate doctor, as an extension of his re-education, the crowning touch that follows his first subway ride to Brooklyn and sex with a working-class girl(falling in love with Jessica Alba is not hard). Clay wants to be one of the common people. But c'mon. We're not talking about eating at Taco Bell instead of a five-star restaurant; we're talking about open-heart surgery! "Awake" is a bad film; a hoot. But it's undeniably fun. Evil is fun. If you're going to make a second-rate thriller, it's bound to be fun if your main character recovers his memory. Alcoholic fathers in Santa suits are fun. "Awake" is painless. Clay forgets to scream; you'll forget to, too. Expand
  23. EricR
    Dec 14, 2007
    Just returned from seeing this movie and I have to tell you it was laughable from start to finish. C. Haydensen gives the same stiff performance he is famous for, there is a strange oedipal overtone throughout the movie, the plot "twists" are predictable (think absurdly when you predict!). Even the lasy line of the movie was predictable. The dialogue is clunky at best ("My new heart will Just returned from seeing this movie and I have to tell you it was laughable from start to finish. C. Haydensen gives the same stiff performance he is famous for, there is a strange oedipal overtone throughout the movie, the plot "twists" are predictable (think absurdly when you predict!). Even the lasy line of the movie was predictable. The dialogue is clunky at best ("My new heart will love you too" Hahahaahahahahaha!) I laughed out loud when the credits rolled. Bad bad bad movie. Expand
  24. TommyN.
    Dec 18, 2007
    "Awake" doesn't wake me up. I saw a lot of people sleeping and snoring in theaters when watching this boring crap. Their suspenses and thrillers don't thrill me... BOO! Get out of the damn film! (not Jessica, lol).
  25. AlbertoS.
    Jan 4, 2008
    I really liked it! It's amazing to take a glance at the pain of a mother and witness what they're capable of... I went home and gave my mom a hug! Good cast, great acting.. It was great!
  26. JayHiggins
    Feb 22, 2008
    Suspenseful, but way too much of it just makes no sense and the plot is riddled with holes. But, it did hold my interest. It certainly wasn't overlong. It just never convinced me.
  27. BrandonW.
    Mar 7, 2008
    I rarely disagree with the critics; they are generally quite on par but this time some of them are waaaay off par. This movie was surprisingly very good, acting was decent but the storyline was amongst the best I have seen in a while.
  28. DinoP.
    Apr 2, 2008
    This movie is really great, this critics don't know shit!!
  29. Felix
    Apr 27, 2008
    Facts in the beginning are far from accurate. As others before me have said there are quite a few holes in this that make it fall short.
  30. LevS.
    Jul 3, 2008
    Look, I enjoyed it until the final ridiculous plot turn where all was revealed and the whole thing was wrapped up. What could have been an engaging thriller was cut short with the VO telling us what we actually wanted to see.
  31. SeanW.
    Jan 4, 2009
    I found this suprisingly enjoyable. Christensen and Alba gives better than average yet still mediocre performances. Story is generally gripping, except for a few spots. Overall a worthwhile film
  32. JohnD
    Apr 26, 2009
    This movie is surprisingly good. one of the best plot twist i have ever seen. some part are touching. pretty face alba, what more do you want? i am afraid the critics got it all wrong. watch it!
  33. Jul 29, 2013
    I loved this movie. It has enough twists that you aren't bored or predicting most of the twists. Of course, it has some predictable twists but all movies do. It has its shortcomings but overall, it was a great movie. I would definitely buy this movie.

1. Reviewed by: Ken Fox
    What a waste. Check out "Breakdown" or Aldo Lado's 1971 Italian giallo "Long Night Of The Short Dolls" for a far better treatments of the same subject.
  2. Christensen delivers a low-key performance that is ultimately quite appealing, and he's well matched by the beautiful Alba. Olin brings unexpected depths to what could have been a stock role, and Terrence Howard uses his easy ability to project innate decency to excellent effect.
    Awake is short enough (about 85 minutes) that it doesn't wear out its welcome. It's not a good movie but it's silly and lively enough to keep most viewers from dozing off, even if that might be a more profitable use of their time.