6.8

1. AllenSmithee
    Sep 30, 2009
    Like watching a feature length music video by a spoiled to hell trust fund kid with a British accent who somehow got the money to make his senior year film on the subject of becoming an adult. This only gets a 1 because the cinematography was so gorgeous. As cringeworthy as American Beauty's floating plastic bag "the most beautiful thing". Is this how the entitled see the world? No Like watching a feature length music video by a spoiled to hell trust fund kid with a British accent who somehow got the money to make his senior year film on the subject of becoming an adult. This only gets a 1 because the cinematography was so gorgeous. As cringeworthy as American Beauty's floating plastic bag "the most beautiful thing". Is this how the entitled see the world? No wonder we're so fucked. Expand
  2. RikF
    Feb 23, 2010
    Vacuous losers will love this film. The main couple combine all the characteristics of the most soulless acquaintances I have met in my life. Abysmal writing. Doesn't warrant me finishing my revi...
  3. AlexP
    Oct 9, 2009
    Awful, the very first scene sets this movie up for what it is--a miserable waste of a good lead actor. Stick to being Jim on the Office, Johnny boy, your movie roles aren't up to snuff.
  4. JonathanG
    Jun 28, 2009
    Precious, unfunny, smug -- the kind of "quirky" faux-indie that makes you hate indies. Booo!
  5. stana.
    Jun 30, 2009
    There was one kind of funny scene but that didnt make me not want my money back. I saw this 5 days ago and am still pissed off I wasted my time and money.
  6. PeteW
    Nov 4, 2009
    Too self-conscious, trendy, and whimsical for normal human beings, but hipsters will love it. Burt's relentless childishness grates after the first 20 minutes (John Krasinksi is really stretching himself by playing an affable, goofy insurance salesman instead of an affable, goofy paper salesman). Verona's inability to get over her parents' death ten years earlier rings Too self-conscious, trendy, and whimsical for normal human beings, but hipsters will love it. Burt's relentless childishness grates after the first 20 minutes (John Krasinksi is really stretching himself by playing an affable, goofy insurance salesman instead of an affable, goofy paper salesman). Verona's inability to get over her parents' death ten years earlier rings false. The supporting characters they visit are all either repulsive caricatures or broken flowers mewling for our sympathy. The obligatory acoustic guitar soundtrack feels like it could've been scored by a computer program. There is no overarching conflict; it's obvious from the start that Burt and Verona are perfect for each other and will probably be fine wherever they wind up (though the ending still manages to feel pat and unearned). A film like this should leave the viewer more inclined to overlook other people's quirks and see the human beings underneath, but Away We Go has nothing but contempt for anyone not as endlessly well-adjusted and mutually devoted as the protagonists. Expand
  7. AndrewE
    Dec 30, 2009
    Flat uninspired writing made worse by desperate acoustic soundtrack. Eggers makes an entire generation look even more repugnant than they already are. The movie also has an expiration date of mid-2008, pretending that a freelance medical illustrator and fake insurance salesman are economically stable. If real, this couple would currently be found in the aisles of their local food pantry. Flat uninspired writing made worse by desperate acoustic soundtrack. Eggers makes an entire generation look even more repugnant than they already are. The movie also has an expiration date of mid-2008, pretending that a freelance medical illustrator and fake insurance salesman are economically stable. If real, this couple would currently be found in the aisles of their local food pantry. Beyond a comeuppance for the Boomers, the recession is cosmic retribution for Gen Y's entitled, precious self-regard. But hey, that kid will get her Huck Finn-ey childhood fishing for her supper when there's no money! How authentic! Expand
  8. BrianH
    Oct 30, 2009
    John Krazinski is great but every other aspect of this film underachieves. Could and should have been better.
  9. JimH
    Oct 12, 2009
    I think the Salon article got it right: "An exploration of self-absorption that is itself too self-absorbed to be either entertaining or enlightening." This was like an indie movie paint by number, all the way down to "bizarre jobs for main characters" and "questionable wardrobe decisions" or "strangely depressing yet wildly unrealistic bit characters." The gothic strip tease scene might I think the Salon article got it right: "An exploration of self-absorption that is itself too self-absorbed to be either entertaining or enlightening." This was like an indie movie paint by number, all the way down to "bizarre jobs for main characters" and "questionable wardrobe decisions" or "strangely depressing yet wildly unrealistic bit characters." The gothic strip tease scene might have been the tipping point for me, if the first scenes hadn't already crushed my pre-film morale. Expand
  10. RichR.
    Jun 28, 2009
    A truly nauseating waste of time. The characters are all jerks, esp the wife. People keep telling her she is beautiful, but there's no way. I left the theatre after an hour. Pure bilge.
  11. TS
    Nov 14, 2009
    Insufferable. There is one genuinely funny scene. The rest is tiresomely self-conscious and inert. It never draws you in or makes you care about any of the characters because it is too busy reminding you how preciously, bittersweetly meaningful it all is. Aren't they adorably quirky, and aren't we oh-so-smart for recognizing it and seeing ourselves in them?
  12. Apr 19, 2012
    The film could be boring, but the attempt to make it funny makes it even worst. The opening scene makes you smile but the film doesn't go over that first scene, all the weirdos they meet throughout the film stop to be funny after 10 minutes. It's a film that wants to make people laugh and they try so hard that at the end everything is completely wrong. The good elements of the analysis ofThe film could be boring, but the attempt to make it funny makes it even worst. The opening scene makes you smile but the film doesn't go over that first scene, all the weirdos they meet throughout the film stop to be funny after 10 minutes. It's a film that wants to make people laugh and they try so hard that at the end everything is completely wrong. The good elements of the analysis of troubles brought by maternity are wasted in such a screwed contest. After 30 minutes you will start wondering why you are still watching such a film and it's really hard to make it to the end of it. Expand

1. Travel--finding the self by escaping the self--is central to the novels of Eggers and Vida, but Mendes knows where he's going before he gets there. And so the subject of Away We Go turns out to be not travel but child-rearing, which is at best well-meaning and anguished and at worst downright monstrous.
    Some of the episodes are ripely satirical, others almost heartbreaking. Allison Janney appears as a coarse drunk who taunts her kids; Maggie Gyllenhaal is a pushy New Age mom whose aggressive virtue saps the strength of everyone around her.
  3. Though it's nice to see Mendes take a looser, not quite so studied approach to his filmmaking, some stops along the way -- like a detour to visit Burt's suddenly single brother (Paul Schneider) -- feel dramatically off-course.