7.8

1. Mar 14, 2015
    A great movie. The best movie I have ever seen so far. So touched and reminds me of how to be more aware to animals. We should love such animals starting from now
  2. Jun 3, 2014
    Summary
    + Clever use of visuals
    + Fantastic voice acting + Good story with interesting themes that at times are quite depressing - Some bad elements of character developments. - Limited dialogue - Quite dull at times In brief it is a great family adventure full of good blights, which is and entertaining. As a result I would recommend it as it is worth a watch. Full Review
    Summary
    + Clever use of visuals
    + Fantastic voice acting
    + Good story with interesting themes that at times are quite depressing
    - Some bad elements of character developments.
    - Limited dialogue
    - Quite dull at times

Full Review
    Perhaps the first striking thing about Babe is how well directed it is. The use of animals as the main characters would undoubtable presents its own challenges, but the way the film is directed makes the character/ animal interaction feel really. It is strangely entertaining to watch animals interact and speak to each just as humans would. Particularly like the little elements that help make Babe feel that little bit more special as a film, e.g. moments when Fly lick Babe as a sign of love. Such an approach helps to increase the uniqueness of Babe.

The next thing that really stands out about Babe is the voice acting. All the characters feel unique and at the same time display emotions within their voices. This is particularly the case with Cavanaugh and his voice over of Babe, which emphasises the innocent nature of Babe as a character, while at the same time still depicting Babe as brave and a character who develops throughout the film. Likewise Margolyes depiction of Fly (a female dog) is great as it helps to set Fly as a heart-warming character who takes care of Babe. Such voice acting is enhanced by the acting of James Cromwell as Arthur (the Boss) and Magda Szubanski as Esme Hoggett (the Boss’ wife). Both actors depict real life conflicts of a couple. As a result such acting helps to enhance the film as a whole.

However the main element I found to be good about Babe is that of how it has a really interesting story with elements of cheerful moments which are particularly provided by Ferdinand, and at the end. However such moments, are balanced out with themes within the film that are quite depressing. Such themes include obedience to rules and defining conventions, life and death. In particularly I found it quite saddening when a character close to Babe dies, which not only comes as a surprise but also strengthens Babe as a character. Likewise the challenging by Ferdinand of challenging conventionality in order to save his life is entertaining. I also enjoyed the conflicts between Fly and Rex (male dog who acts like the leader of all the animals on the farm) and the deceptive nature of the cat. Such elements help to make it so Babe is a film that peaks in happiness and sadness. However unlike other kid films that have sad moment like the Lion King, I found babe to be unique because of how it consistently goes back and forth in whether it is sad or happy. The nature of the story helps to make Babe a film that is entertaining for both children and adults.

However there are so elements of Babe I did not find particularly enjoyable. I think the first one is that of how some of the characters are undeveloped/ poory portrayed. This is particularly the case with the Hoggett family members who are hollow shells, except the grand-daughter who is a spoilt brat. However the main character who I feel is under-developed is that of Rex who develops a hatred of Babe. While the source of his anger is well explained, it contradicts his great sense of loyalty to the Boss. However, this is hardly a major criticism given that these characters play a limited role.

The second major issue is how the dialogue of the characters is pretty limited. This is particularly the case with Arthur who seems to lack the verbal capacity to say words beyond that will do, good, pig, dog, and nothing. Likewise I find the narrator to be a bit too simple.

The final complaint I have with the film is that of how within the story there are elements I found to be a bit boring, in particular the start when Babe tries to settle in to his new home.
  3. Mar 12, 2014
    A heartwarming kid-friendly movie, Babe tells a great story with lots of sentiment and emotion. It's almost impossible not to be affected by it in some way.
  4. Jan 3, 2014
    Babe fofo, e super bem produzido com uma bela história e ótimos personagens com certeza foi um dos filmes que mais marcaram a minha infancia........
  5. Jul 25, 2013
    Great movie! A different movie of a different kind! No wonder of being nominated for Oscars! Great performances from both men and Animal! Sounds weird! but perfect! This is the best animal movie! A very heartwarming movie with an immense charm carried by Babe and everyone! Cutest movie of course! With a brilliant cinematography and perfect directing of Miller!
  6. May 29, 2013
    It has been a long time since I've watched Babe and I guess I'd forgotten how sad it actually it is! While its a great family film with very good themes and morals, there are also some rather depressing moments in it too. Cromwell & Szubanski breathe life into the Farmers and all the voice actors are spot on for their roles, especially Cavanaugh as Babe. It's a great storyline about a pigIt has been a long time since I've watched Babe and I guess I'd forgotten how sad it actually it is! While its a great family film with very good themes and morals, there are also some rather depressing moments in it too. Cromwell & Szubanski breathe life into the Farmers and all the voice actors are spot on for their roles, especially Cavanaugh as Babe. It's a great storyline about a pig finding his place in the world and just one of those feel good films that was nice to re-watch Expand
  7. Mar 24, 2013
    Very boring story line with some laughs provided by Ferdinand the duck. The first half of the film was fine, but the second half was uninteresting. The acting was decent.
  8. AndrewG
    Jun 1, 2009
    Heartwarming and beautifully made, with great special effects. I've always loved this film.
  9. PaulF
    Feb 15, 2009
    I rarely give a perfect score though I have given many 8's and 9's because I am extremely selective about which movies I watch. In this case babe really came through all the way to the end. Often movies can do well but kind of flub the ending by carrying on longer than the "Ah ha" moment. Babe however ended just right leaving you with glowing warm feelings. Babe was I rarely give a perfect score though I have given many 8's and 9's because I am extremely selective about which movies I watch. In this case babe really came through all the way to the end. Often movies can do well but kind of flub the ending by carrying on longer than the "Ah ha" moment. Babe however ended just right leaving you with glowing warm feelings. Babe was entertaining, funny, somewhat thought provoking, and even a tad spiritual. Babe really prods the viewer to reconsider how they think about animals. Even though these animals are obviously anthropomorphized the movie still manages to break through our preconceptions. I'm not sure how much of an animal rights bent this movie intended but for me it seemed obvious that deeper issues were implied. Ultimately though, even without much thought this is an easy movie to watch with its positive and wholesome values. I was heartened to see something so benign and at the same time well done movie (often a hard combination to be had) come out of Hollywood. In a time when it often seems almost anything goes this was a most welcome alternative. Expand
  10. JoseS
    Aug 25, 2008
    A Perfect Film! Best animal movie ever, best kids film ever.. should have won Best Picture, much better than Titanic. Totally unique and unpredictable, with a giant heart, terrific voices and humor.
  11. davez
    Jul 20, 2007
    Terrific! Seldom do I fall fully immersed into a film. I thought it childish to not only view this film but to outright buy it before seeing it or hearing any reviews about it. I was a full grown adult when I saw it and found it refreshing to feel like a giddy little child again. My wife thought I was nuts when I offered to watch it while we were dating (I guess she was hoping for a Terrific! Seldom do I fall fully immersed into a film. I thought it childish to not only view this film but to outright buy it before seeing it or hearing any reviews about it. I was a full grown adult when I saw it and found it refreshing to feel like a giddy little child again. My wife thought I was nuts when I offered to watch it while we were dating (I guess she was hoping for a romance or a comedy that we could cuddle up with... This is the best cuddle movie for a young couple who want to watch a film and put off making out until after) Goose bumps my friend... I wanted to roar with the crowd that I was watching. Expand
  12. ErikY.
    Aug 6, 2006
    Excellent film. No matter what age, there's always something to take with it; whether a strong message on hierarchy or a heartwarming story, this movie will always be fresh. Admittedly this is a family flick, but at my age I still found something to take with it. With a neat plot, cute animals, and a pleasant ending, you can't go wrong watching this movie.
  13. PatC.
    Oct 31, 2003
    This is not the greatest movie of all time, but it is my favorite movie of all time. Probably because at times I have found animals to be better companions than people. I think this movie is what Jesus meant when he said, "When you do it to the least of these, you do it unto me."
  14. Jeremy
    Oct 16, 2003
    Great entertainment for the whole family, with ideas and moments as funny for the adults as for the young ones.
  15. YoonC.
    Sep 14, 2003
    Babe would have been far more effective without human voice-overs which undermine the movie's central message that we should appreciate animals for their uniqueness. Still, endearing and uplifting. Lead actor--farmer--is best by far.
  16. JasonB.
    Jul 21, 2003
    How can anyone not like this movie. It is expertly filmed, both stylish and witty, full of gloriously dark undertones, and has a fantastic finish. Possibly the best kids movie [non-cartoon] ever.
  17. JimmiM.
    Jun 13, 2003
    I didn't find it funy or entertaining at all.
  18. Jo
    Jan 15, 2003
    I love this Movie! I just wish I could find what it is an allegory to!
  19. MichelleP.
    Nov 12, 2002
    Look, I tried. All right? I tried. I tried to like Babe, but for some reason, couldn't. Maybe it was just too depressing for me to handle since it had to do with animals (I love animals, and can't stand seeing them die). Or maybe I just couldn't feel any warmth from the setting(s). But heck! I haven't read the book! What do I know? I think there'll be plenty more Look, I tried. All right? I tried. I tried to like Babe, but for some reason, couldn't. Maybe it was just too depressing for me to handle since it had to do with animals (I love animals, and can't stand seeing them die). Or maybe I just couldn't feel any warmth from the setting(s). But heck! I haven't read the book! What do I know? I think there'll be plenty more people out there who liked this movie better than I did, but I can't stand seeing ... [Spoiler omitted]. Sorry, that's just how I feel. Expand

1. That rare movie that completely fulfills its admittedly modest aims.
    Perhaps one of the cutest children's films ever made.
    A movie made with charm and wit, and unlike some family movies it does not condescend, not for a second.