5.8

1. Jan 9, 2011
    A breathtaking human story of startling perception and beauty. It is wonderfully acted and achingly tangible. Brilliant, and a must see.
  2. Dec 26, 2011
    Don't get me wrong; "Babel" is a grim yet seducing movie, one that is capable of diving deep into the diverse, infrastructural lives of others. But what pulls the pants down for this one is that there is no progress or moral. The movie just.....ends.
  3. Feb 2, 2012
    Absolutely horrible. Most boring movie I've seen to date. Anyone who claims artsy, "deep" movies like this are anything but crap has eaten one too many retard sandwiches. The same kind of people that think someone like Jackson Pollack has talent, and created "art." It's all a pantload.
  4. Dec 18, 2012
    What a boring movie, it might have a background message but to me it seemed a totally UNNECESSARY MOVIE, brings nothing fresh to the viewer and it's nothing that you haven't seen in the news. It's like watching the news but with actors.
  5. Jul 27, 2011
    This movie was fabulous. It captured the connections of the world and how everything is related. This movie can represent how one can not be blamed for anything alone. The movie was intriguing moreso than being suspenseful.
  6. Nov 6, 2010
    The title of the movie it explains it well..The definition of babel is a scene of confusion and noise, which is based off the biblical definition. The movie wasn't bad but the music was horrible and the story of the asian girl is irrelevant and has hardly anything to do with the main story. It is worth watching if you have netflix or something. To the people who overly sensitive people complaining about the "graphic" parts of the movie you need to stick with Disney movies if you don't like it. They are simply showing real things that happen in this world, it is rated R for a reason and even explains the graphic natures of the movie before you watch it. Overall the movie was good, it just could use some touches to make it better. Expand
  7. May 6, 2011
    Magnificent, emotionally charged exploration of the lines that divide us. Terrific acting, gripping plot. Ignore the loser trolls who abuse this review site; Do yourself a favor and watch this film.
  8. Jan 25, 2014
    Interestingly, the reviews of this movie provide an amazing insight into how stupid the average Movie goer in the U.S. really is. Take a read of some of the negative reviews. Seriously its like monkey got on a computer somewhere and just spewed inane garbage all over metacritic.

This is a very good film with a great deal of emotional and intellectual appeal. I think they represented the
    cultures and the dysfunction really well while keeping the movie interesting by bouncing the story around in 3 parts. Really good movie if you are not a chimp, highly recommended.

P.S. if you liked any of the transformer movies, this is not the film for you.
  9. May 31, 2012
    I was thinking about the possible things I could colour my life with after seeing this ..yeah what exactly was it, sure it wasn't a movie. So don't masturbate behind rocks or your brother will euhm..miss. Don't spy on your sister or your father will do the clap-dance. Never travel or your kids may die in the desert. If you're in a desert, then don't leave any kids behind, sure I'll remember that one. Never leave the bus area if your wife is about to die by bleeding to death or they will continue their journey without you...yep, gotcha. And the most important one: don't you ever ever dare to decline a deaf-mute naked lady or she might jump of the balcony. My god, I'm pretty sure that Alejandro Gonzales still sucks his thumb way too long when he falls asleep. Expand
  10. Feb 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really didn't get this film. I mean, the only good part about it was the American POV (Pitt and Blanchett) and the plot seemed really confusing even though it's told in different perspectives. One of the most confusing but weirdest films of all time. Expand
  11. Jun 19, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, but am not exactly sure what I liked about it. It's somewhat depressing and certainly isn't action-packed. Definitely worth watching.
  12. Nov 8, 2012
    It tries to do so much, but this nonlinear mess of a film has nothing to offer but some short snippets of great acting. It is original, but not all original ideas are good ones.
  13. Jun 21, 2013
    The performances are poignant, the camerawork is stimulating, the four stories interlock brilliantly, and in spite of some moderate pacing issues, "Babel" makes for a supremely thought-provoking trip.
  14. Jun 2, 2013
    I thought this was absolutely incredible! Excellent film making in my opinion. Director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu takes another multi-faceted story but this time, he perfects it! Babel is even better than his 21 Grams of 2003. The story is emotional; the characters are fascinating; the music is gripping and the script is wonderful. The acting is outstanding. How Jennifer Hudson won an Oscar over Rinko Kikuchi or Adriana Barraza I don't know, both were absolutely stunning. A great film about people and communication! Nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Babel is one of the best films of 2006! Expand
  15. Feb 22, 2013
    This is one of the five worst films I have ever seen. Insanely boring and pointless. Dullness for the sake of dullness. Saying nothing as a pretentious "message." Spare me.
  16. May 20, 2013
    Babel, which borrows its title from the Genesis 11 account of the moment in history when God scrambled humankind's languages and locations to limit our effectiveness at achieving corporate evil, is a masterpiece of raw cinematic emotion hung on a framework of muddled messages and extreme content. As an exercise in empathy, Iñárritu's stories nailed me. Once I bought into the characters and their settings (and to the director's credit, I bought hard), every moment of the film was drenched in anxiety, sorrow and dread. The fact that not all of the tales end in utter loss offered little relief. And the movie's sadness hung with me long after I left the theater. Expand
  17. Dec 8, 2013
    I thought that overall it was a pretty well-made movie. At the start I thought the subtitles were going to be distracting, but after a while it became second nature. I thought that the transitions between each of the different stories worked really well and wee well timed and that most camera angles worked well. The acting was plain up until half way through the film, and I thought that Brad Pitt's character grew throughout the film. The storyline itself, was pretty good, except I would have loved to see a bit more knots tied toward the end of the film, answering some questions that are still left unanswered. The Lighting throughout the film worked well, as it was used in good detail and helped to tell the story better. The lighting wasn't too dark either, which is good. I think the music and sounds worked really well, I especially love when the audience is put in inaudible as it makes the audience fell that sense of hopelessness. The film didn't contain many special effects and I think in some cases, these could have been used to enhanced the film. I particularly like the scene where they are in the nightclub in Japan, I think that the lighting in this scene is great, the way it confuses the audience, but yet still shows them what they are supposed to see. Expand

In the year's richest, most complex and ultimately most heartbreaking film, Inarritu invites us to get past the babble of modern civilization and start listening to each other.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Effectively building dread and emotional tension as tragic incidents triggered by human stupidity and carelessness steadily multiply, this film, like "21 Grams" in particular, employs a deterministically grim mindset in the cause of its philosophical aspirations, but is gripping nearly all the way.
  3. The filmmakers succeed brilliantly in weaving these stories together, taking time to explore depth of character and relationships. The suspense builds throughout as everyone involved becomes lost in a place they don't understand with people they don't know if they can trust.