Babel

6.6

1. May 30, 2016
    One of Inarritu's finest earlier works, Babel succeeds as a drama with a real human heart, and gets its message across easily. It requires patience to watch, but is a must-see for film buffs.
  2. May 7, 2016
    A beautifully interwoven story of the human condition and dealing with loss that spans continents, Babel is a truly marvelous work from director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu. The film crafts wonderfully deep characters who walk, talk, and act like real human beings experiencing these events. Even better, it treats them all equally and never points fingers, instead making us feelingA beautifully interwoven story of the human condition and dealing with loss that spans continents, Babel is a truly marvelous work from director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu. The film crafts wonderfully deep characters who walk, talk, and act like real human beings experiencing these events. Even better, it treats them all equally and never points fingers, instead making us feeling incredible amounts of sympathy even for those who made mistakes. The acting is superb and this compliment extends to the entire cast, not just Hollywood a-listers Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. The writing is fantastic and the film never drags, even in its slower parts. Additionally, the nonlinear storytelling is never a problem and the film lets you know when each piece is taking place with no confusion. Overall, Babel is a stirring and deeply touching examination of loss and humanity. Expand
  3. Jan 3, 2016
    This film is similar to Crash in the way the narrative is setup, although it is tackling different issues. I just got around to watching it in 2015, although it came out in 2006. The directing and camera work were well done, but really what moved me was some of the supporting acting. Brad Pitt is in the film and while I am a fan and he did well, his is not the acting I am referring to. InThis film is similar to Crash in the way the narrative is setup, although it is tackling different issues. I just got around to watching it in 2015, although it came out in 2006. The directing and camera work were well done, but really what moved me was some of the supporting acting. Brad Pitt is in the film and while I am a fan and he did well, his is not the acting I am referring to. In specific two of the supporting actresses (who were nominated for academy awards as a result of this film) really stood out and those are Adriana Barraza and Rinko Kikuchi.

Jennifer Hudson ended up winning the academy award and that was such a mistake. I think either of these other two actresses deserved it more. Of the two Kikuchi who plays a teenage deaf girl in Japan provided one of the most moving performances I have seen in a very long time and she did it without speaking any English, actually without speaking at all with the exception of sign language or writing notes. Many of the scenes where she has to convey what her character is feeling and experiencing she does so with her eyes and facial expressions.
  4. Dec 14, 2015
    One of the most underrated movies about the development of human nature in wilderness, urban surroundings. It also tells very emotional and comprehensible stories about miscommunication as the source for conflict and personal tragedies

BUT

prepare some snacks cause that movie unfortunately got stretched way too long for his own good
  5. Oct 20, 2015
    Una obra maestra en todo sentido. Babel se desarrolla en 4 lugares distintos cada lugar tiene a sus personajes y cada personaje tiene sus conflictos pero en general todos los personajes comparten una relación con los demás, aunque algunos nunca se llegan a ver en toda la película, eso es lo grandioso de esta película, que podemos conocer profundamente la historia y situación de cadaUna obra maestra en todo sentido. Babel se desarrolla en 4 lugares distintos cada lugar tiene a sus personajes y cada personaje tiene sus conflictos pero en general todos los personajes comparten una relación con los demás, aunque algunos nunca se llegan a ver en toda la película, eso es lo grandioso de esta película, que podemos conocer profundamente la historia y situación de cada personaje y ademas de compartir un conflicto mundial con los demás personajes. Expand
  6. Jul 21, 2015
    This movie is a symbol of power to seek peace and reconciliation in each country and a help for the human superation and equality. Gonzalez Inarritu makes magnificent award-winning films such as " Birdman" go forward by " The Revenant" .
  7. Jan 25, 2014
    Interestingly, the reviews of this movie provide an amazing insight into how stupid the average Movie goer in the U.S. really is. Take a read of some of the negative reviews. Seriously its like monkey got on a computer somewhere and just spewed inane garbage all over metacritic.

This is a very good film with a great deal of emotional and intellectual appeal. I think they represented the cultures and the dysfunction really well while keeping the movie interesting by bouncing the story around in 3 parts. Really good movie if you are not a chimp, highly recommended.

P.S. if you liked any of the transformer movies, this is not the film for you.
  8. Dec 8, 2013
    I thought that overall it was a pretty well-made movie. At the start I thought the subtitles were going to be distracting, but after a while it became second nature. I thought that the transitions between each of the different stories worked really well and wee well timed and that most camera angles worked well. The acting was plain up until half way through the film, and I thought thatI thought that overall it was a pretty well-made movie. At the start I thought the subtitles were going to be distracting, but after a while it became second nature. I thought that the transitions between each of the different stories worked really well and wee well timed and that most camera angles worked well. The acting was plain up until half way through the film, and I thought that Brad Pitt's character grew throughout the film. The storyline itself, was pretty good, except I would have loved to see a bit more knots tied toward the end of the film, answering some questions that are still left unanswered. The Lighting throughout the film worked well, as it was used in good detail and helped to tell the story better. The lighting wasn't too dark either, which is good. I think the music and sounds worked really well, I especially love when the audience is put in inaudible as it makes the audience fell that sense of hopelessness. The film didn't contain many special effects and I think in some cases, these could have been used to enhanced the film. I particularly like the scene where they are in the nightclub in Japan, I think that the lighting in this scene is great, the way it confuses the audience, but yet still shows them what they are supposed to see. Expand
  9. Jun 21, 2013
    The performances are poignant, the camerawork is stimulating, the four stories interlock brilliantly, and in spite of some moderate pacing issues, "Babel" makes for a supremely thought-provoking trip.
  10. Jun 2, 2013
    I thought this was absolutely incredible! Excellent film making in my opinion. Director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu takes another multi-faceted story but this time, he perfects it! Babel is even better than his 21 Grams of 2003. The story is emotional; the characters are fascinating; the music is gripping and the script is wonderful. The acting is outstanding. How Jennifer Hudson won anI thought this was absolutely incredible! Excellent film making in my opinion. Director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu takes another multi-faceted story but this time, he perfects it! Babel is even better than his 21 Grams of 2003. The story is emotional; the characters are fascinating; the music is gripping and the script is wonderful. The acting is outstanding. How Jennifer Hudson won an Oscar over Rinko Kikuchi or Adriana Barraza I don't know, both were absolutely stunning. A great film about people and communication! Nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Babel is one of the best films of 2006! Expand
  11. May 20, 2013
    Babel, which borrows its title from the Genesis 11 account of the moment in history when God scrambled humankind's languages and locations to limit our effectiveness at achieving corporate evil, is a masterpiece of raw cinematic emotion hung on a framework of muddled messages and extreme content. As an exercise in empathy, Iñárritu's stories nailed me. Once I bought into the characters andBabel, which borrows its title from the Genesis 11 account of the moment in history when God scrambled humankind's languages and locations to limit our effectiveness at achieving corporate evil, is a masterpiece of raw cinematic emotion hung on a framework of muddled messages and extreme content. As an exercise in empathy, Iñárritu's stories nailed me. Once I bought into the characters and their settings (and to the director's credit, I bought hard), every moment of the film was drenched in anxiety, sorrow and dread. The fact that not all of the tales end in utter loss offered little relief. And the movie's sadness hung with me long after I left the theater. Expand
  12. Jun 19, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, but am not exactly sure what I liked about it. It's somewhat depressing and certainly isn't action-packed. Definitely worth watching.
  13. Jul 27, 2011
    This movie was fabulous. It captured the connections of the world and how everything is related. This movie can represent how one can not be blamed for anything alone. The movie was intriguing moreso than being suspenseful.
  14. May 6, 2011
    Magnificent, emotionally charged exploration of the lines that divide us. Terrific acting, gripping plot. Ignore the loser trolls who abuse this review site; Do yourself a favor and watch this film.
  15. Jan 9, 2011
    A breathtaking human story of startling perception and beauty. It is wonderfully acted and achingly tangible. Brilliant, and a must see.
  16. Nov 6, 2010
    The title of the movie it explains it well..The definition of babel is a scene of confusion and noise, which is based off the biblical definition. The movie wasn't bad but the music was horrible and the story of the asian girl is irrelevant and has hardly anything to do with the main story. It is worth watching if you have netflix or something. To the people who overly sensitive peopleThe title of the movie it explains it well..The definition of babel is a scene of confusion and noise, which is based off the biblical definition. The movie wasn't bad but the music was horrible and the story of the asian girl is irrelevant and has hardly anything to do with the main story. It is worth watching if you have netflix or something. To the people who overly sensitive people complaining about the "graphic" parts of the movie you need to stick with Disney movies if you don't like it. They are simply showing real things that happen in this world, it is rated R for a reason and even explains the graphic natures of the movie before you watch it. Overall the movie was good, it just could use some touches to make it better. Expand
  17. Rodders
    Sep 13, 2009
    Personally I love movies where the action / plotline doesn't necessarily have a neat beginning and end. The fact that we get so much insight into human lives, whether the 'plot' ties up at the end or not, is surely the point of this film? I had no idea what life is really like in Mexico, Japan or Morocco, having never been to any of these places, but that aspect of this Personally I love movies where the action / plotline doesn't necessarily have a neat beginning and end. The fact that we get so much insight into human lives, whether the 'plot' ties up at the end or not, is surely the point of this film? I had no idea what life is really like in Mexico, Japan or Morocco, having never been to any of these places, but that aspect of this movie is the triumph here, that you feel empathy with a 17-year old deaf-mute girl in Tokyo, a Mexican nanny in her 50s or a Moroccan goat-farming family, and the documentary-style filming makes watching it unfold all the more satisfying. Oh, the stories don't properly relate to one and other so the movie's a sham? Not the point, surely! The acting is superb without exception and I feel that I have no need for the stories to connect at all in order for me to have gained a great deal of pleasure from watching this movie. I guess people who got nothing from this because the stories are only loosely connected to each other may be better off sticking to the formulaic Hollywood crap that passes as entertainment these days. Oh and those people who don't get the fact that the call that the nanny receives at the beginning and brad pitt's character makes at the end are one and the same should give up altogether. Expand
  18. JohnLazar
    Jul 17, 2009
    amazing movie. gut-wrenching, captivating and incredible. the directing is amazing, and brad pitt, cate blanchett and adriana barraza are amazing. along with the entire cast. the writing is true, and shows the consequences of our thoughtless actions. ONLY FOR INTELLIGENT PEOPLE!! OTHERS WON'T GET IT OR APPRECIATE IT AND BE "BORED" WHEN THEY'RE TOO LAZY TO UNDERSTAND.
  19. caporegime
    Jun 10, 2009
    If it were not for the cast and the crew then, this movie will be dumb.
  20. Btvalley
    Feb 13, 2009
    This was a masterful piece. Truthfully one of the best pictures I have ever seen. To Piper L: Did you ever think that this is what the director wanted you to see, that Americans are egocentric, and ethnocentric on their own values and customs, not of those of others. This happens everyday in many countries but becasue we as an American Cultrue are to blind, with our starbucks coffee and This was a masterful piece. Truthfully one of the best pictures I have ever seen. To Piper L: Did you ever think that this is what the director wanted you to see, that Americans are egocentric, and ethnocentric on their own values and customs, not of those of others. This happens everyday in many countries but becasue we as an American Cultrue are to blind, with our starbucks coffee and big screen tv's, to see how much we really impact the world and those in it. Step outside the box my friend. Expand
  21. DanS.
    Dec 6, 2008
    Well, I enjoyed it a lot, what can I say? Certainly I could say that parts were a bit slow -- for me it was totally engrossing, but it so happened that I watched it split over two evenings. But II thought it was a pretty amazing movie, with a raw realism that makes me feel like I really tapped into these connected slices of life. I found the acting compelling all around and theWell, I enjoyed it a lot, what can I say? Certainly I could say that parts were a bit slow -- for me it was totally engrossing, but it so happened that I watched it split over two evenings. But II thought it was a pretty amazing movie, with a raw realism that makes me feel like I really tapped into these connected slices of life. I found the acting compelling all around and the cinematography and locations amazing.

The feel is almost documentary-like, and we are jumped from character to character such that we aren't deeply invested in any one. There are emotional events, but they are presented rather starkly with little comment. Rather like watching a nature video where animals struggle and some die, but we don't really know those animals, so we are left to our own devices as to the interpretation.

I think there is a lot to think about afterwards about the the various connections and character contrasts that didn't necessarily jump out while I was watching the film. (There's more to it than just a gun.) This movie is not the best movie ever but it is quite special, if you are properly receptive to it. It requires a certain contemplativeness and willingness to look beyond the surface. You are not going to want to watch this with some buddies over beers.
  22. CronosA.
    Apr 20, 2008
    A love it or hate it film. You can prove that by seeing all the ratings here: 10 or 0 in most cases. Mine is ten, but why? Simply because this film may be pretentious, but in a good way, or because the job of the actors (Barraza an Kikuchi are outstanding). For those who didn't understand the film, they should pay more atention to the time frames.
  23. ChristopherP.
    Dec 4, 2007
    I think it's a pretty good movie, it's different, but it's not for everyone.
  24. ArmandoP.
    Oct 26, 2007
    An underrated movie, is a masterpiece and is vert very intelligent
  25. Sunn-Ra
    Sep 25, 2007
    Moving, awakening, igniting.
  26. RichY
    Sep 18, 2007
    Superb film. Is the story simple? Yes. Did that take away from the movie experience? Not in the least. The movie delivers teh goods in every respect - casting, acting, direction, editing, cinematography, soundtrack, 5.1 mix...and mood. Tons of mood. Isolation. Despair. Hopelessness. Salvation. I'm sorry, people who demand more "story" should be reading Dickens or teaching English in Superb film. Is the story simple? Yes. Did that take away from the movie experience? Not in the least. The movie delivers teh goods in every respect - casting, acting, direction, editing, cinematography, soundtrack, 5.1 mix...and mood. Tons of mood. Isolation. Despair. Hopelessness. Salvation. I'm sorry, people who demand more "story" should be reading Dickens or teaching English in middle school. This is a movie, and movie is art, an art of light, sound and emotion, doing things that word on paper cannot. This is a great movie. See it and tell us what you think. Expand
  27. Chads.
    Aug 19, 2007
    i enjoyed this movie. it isnt the best movie ever, but its unique, memorable, and an overall entertaining story. the plot unfortunately can be slow at times, but if you are interested in babel you should check it out.
  28. TaN.
    Jul 18, 2007
    Ok so I just watched Babel. Maybe it's me but basically it was a good story...that centered a crochity old white woman getting shot in the neck and the police force from the middle east, japan, and the united states frantically tried to save her. I mean come on! If this country hasn't learned or doesn't know by now that the white woman is the reason and subsequently the Ok so I just watched Babel. Maybe it's me but basically it was a good story...that centered a crochity old white woman getting shot in the neck and the police force from the middle east, japan, and the united states frantically tried to save her. I mean come on! If this country hasn't learned or doesn't know by now that the white woman is the reason and subsequently the downfall of this country then maybe they should watch this movie. Everybody who came in contact with these parasites was either killed, beaten, or arrested. Sure the Eastern kids shouldn't have been playing with a gun but what the fuck was a tourist bus doing out in the middle of the desert? Why do white people travel where they aren't wanted? I thought it was funny the passagers on the bus began to freak out because they were subject to loosing control, subject to not being mystified as white gods. Money doesn't by you safety, police anywhere can only beat to death so many people before the oppressed get tired of it. Here's this white supremacist feminine patriarch, who, as I've experienced women like her, pretend to have balls until they're someone comes along with bigger ones that is, hunched in a fetal position helpless while the world is literally in chaos. And don't forget the white kids. No maybe it was a bad choice for the housekeeper or nanny to take them to Mexico City with her...I would have just left the devil spawn and gone to my son's wedding. I can always get another job. Then she could have stayed over and if the same relative was going to drive her home the least he would have had was a hang over. I think this movie illustrated the problem with creating a social structure that caters to skin and bullies, if they can't kill you with kindness, or by you off, the rest of the world to follow along with their childish schemes. Expand
  29. JohnZ
    Jul 15, 2007
    This movie tore up my guts. Great acting. I've never seen reviews of a movie that had so many either loving it or hating it, 10 all the way to 0. As effecting as it was to me, I can't understand how someone could not be involved with it, but I just figure that's their loss.
  30. JohnF.
    Jul 6, 2007
    Good story and pace with beleivable characters. I really enjoyed this movie.
  31. NickA.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu has become a director so emotionally depleting that when one leaves the theater after seeing one of his films, they are left naked and vulnerable to the world
  32. RussellL.
    Jun 15, 2007
    Jason, you're an idiot! The reason she could take the call was because it happened before she even went to Mexico. Weren't you paying attention? This was the link between the different threads in the movie, but the time frames were different, that's all.
  33. SheenaM.
    Jun 8, 2007
    This was brilliant. Intelligent and emotional, subtle and powerful, adult and humane. Ten out of ten.
  34. NickB.
    Jun 8, 2007
    What do some of these reviewers want, THE definitive story that links all mankind and explains all of human life that ever was? This is a great film - but only a film. If the connections betweens its story strands are tenuous, so what? As each story progresses - full of intelligence and heart - that story in front of you's all you need, and each of them succeeds dramatically. What do some of these reviewers want, THE definitive story that links all mankind and explains all of human life that ever was? This is a great film - but only a film. If the connections betweens its story strands are tenuous, so what? As each story progresses - full of intelligence and heart - that story in front of you's all you need, and each of them succeeds dramatically. Don't forget - this is entertainment, albeit serious, and it delivers visceral thrills throughout via a strong script, incendiary, cutting edge film- making, and compelling performances. Expand
  35. SalmanHabib
    May 18, 2007
    I think Carl f summed it up for me....only people who are claiming it to be unrealistic and boring are those who havent out of their cosy lillte neighbourhood....rest alone america....i have been to many countries and this movie depicted the intrinsic complexities of different cultures brilliantly and authentically....the fact that was evident in the whole movie which many american beleiveI think Carl f summed it up for me....only people who are claiming it to be unrealistic and boring are those who havent out of their cosy lillte neighbourhood....rest alone america....i have been to many countries and this movie depicted the intrinsic complexities of different cultures brilliantly and authentically....the fact that was evident in the whole movie which many american beleive as well is that their blood is somehow more important than that of others....that they are more important than the rest of the world....but somehow they dont want to accept it....oh wait yeah....they dont want to be called racist anymore.... Expand
  36. Orfeo
    May 11, 2007
    Four months after I saw this, I'm still drawn to it. Not because of the plot details, or any deep philosophical message, but simply because it felt like a genuine cinematic experience. It made me FEEL things. Sometimes it was charming, and sometimes it was trying to tear my heart out. I don't know that it took me to any particular destination - and that's probably what some Four months after I saw this, I'm still drawn to it. Not because of the plot details, or any deep philosophical message, but simply because it felt like a genuine cinematic experience. It made me FEEL things. Sometimes it was charming, and sometimes it was trying to tear my heart out. I don't know that it took me to any particular destination - and that's probably what some people dislike about it - but throughout the entire film I felt like the journey itself was worth experiencing and was never dull. I've seen much shorter movies that seemed to take a lot longer. Expand
  37. SaraG.
    May 8, 2007
    I was very impressed with the whole thing, I love that it shows how our world is so connected, yet completely divided. It definitely puts you in someone else's shoes.
  38. NA
    Apr 30, 2007
    You have to be stupid to not see the amazingness of this movie. Sure it was depressing but its was well made, the acting performances were great, it showed how all these people are connected to each other even though they are worlds apart. I thought that this was a great movie because of how realistic it was. If you gave this movie below a 6 you have no right to speak.
  39. Js.
    Apr 28, 2007
    What are you all waiting for exactly? Why must everything be cleverly and intricately linked together to deserve acclaim? So many of you that knock this film complain about the frailty of the connections between characters. So what? The world is not a cleverly orchestrated screenplay. Commonly, trivial events lead to catastrophic results. Worlds collide in uncommon and sometimes very What are you all waiting for exactly? Why must everything be cleverly and intricately linked together to deserve acclaim? So many of you that knock this film complain about the frailty of the connections between characters. So what? The world is not a cleverly orchestrated screenplay. Commonly, trivial events lead to catastrophic results. Worlds collide in uncommon and sometimes very strange ways. Everything doesn't (and shouldn't) magically come together like the cliche's you are used to and obviously can't live without. Many people of our society are sexually repressed, and many live in paralyzing fear over things that may seem inconsequential to you. If at the very least you cannot wrap your pedantic, hair-splitting brain around the simplicity of the storyline, show some sensitivity to the genuine FEELING that this film has. Cate's performance alone should earn this film at least three points. Giving it a zero is just plain stupid and makes me wonder if some of you are capable of compassion or empathy at all. Expand
  40. CaroleD.
    Apr 26, 2007
    Engaging, phenomenal acting and script writing. If I have to fault it, the story doesn't hang together as it might, and there are various political statements with no development, like the housekeeper's deportation back to MX.
  41. AlexS.
    Apr 25, 2007
    Powerful and beautifully shot. Not your usual Hollywood movie.
  42. NatalieO.
    Apr 25, 2007
    It was well acted, and visually stunning (especially the Japanese story), but there was no punch to it. Besides the music, it is quite forgettable
  43. MikeN.
    Apr 8, 2007
    This was almost a great film. The ending, however, just ruined it. I got the feeling that that the American mother and the Japanese girl should have died, but the studio pressured the filmmakers to let them live in order to please American audiences.
  44. MartinS.
    Apr 8, 2007
    I thought the movie was very effective in portraying American attitudes towards immigrants even when traveling abroad. Having traveled quite a bit in Africa, India and the Middle East I can vouch for the authenticity: People with barely a pot to pee in extending hospitality rarely seen in this country.
  45. JR.
    Mar 24, 2007
    I enjoyed this movie even though I thought I'd hate it because it would be like seeing Crash again. I found all the characters and their performences very entertaining. I could also name 100 flaws with Babel but its best to just exept it for what it is.
  46. AdityaS.
    Mar 21, 2007
    The movie was artistic, quite like an impressionist painting. Not everyone is expected to find it beautiful, but for some, who prefer masterpieces to photographs, this'll be the best movie they'll see in a while. It helps if you've traveled around and seen different cultures.
  47. CarlF.
    Mar 16, 2007
    Having just returned from living overseas in a developing country this film made an awful lot of sense. And it also gave me plenty of firsthand familiarity with all those fear driven, First World coddled whiners we saw on the bus. It also explains to me the rift I see traveling abroad equates to less than 5 star votes and whinny "I don't get it!" comments at home. Sure you people Having just returned from living overseas in a developing country this film made an awful lot of sense. And it also gave me plenty of firsthand familiarity with all those fear driven, First World coddled whiners we saw on the bus. It also explains to me the rift I see traveling abroad equates to less than 5 star votes and whinny "I don't get it!" comments at home. Sure you people don't get it! You're all so huddled into your inward looking groupthink suburban sprawled Martha Stewart perfectly accessoriesed lifestyle that you can't imagine anything outside of that realm. So please, by all means, do us travelers a favor, stay home, stay passportless, and do keep yourselves glued to your boob tubes. Expand
  48. ThomasB.
    Mar 11, 2007
    Really did a number on me emotionally, many scenes I will always remember.
  49. DonQ.
    Mar 4, 2007
    Not a 10, it had some flaws. Not a 3 or a 0 either, it wasn't that bad. I admit I'm in a small minority, but I was predicting AND hoping that this would win best picture. Beautifully directed, well-acted, and original (as opposed to a movie based on a 2002 Hong Kong thriller). Yeah, so it didn't come together in a nice resolution in the end. Real life doesn't always Not a 10, it had some flaws. Not a 3 or a 0 either, it wasn't that bad. I admit I'm in a small minority, but I was predicting AND hoping that this would win best picture. Beautifully directed, well-acted, and original (as opposed to a movie based on a 2002 Hong Kong thriller). Yeah, so it didn't come together in a nice resolution in the end. Real life doesn't always have a nice resolution. Also, anyone notice this: 2005 winner Crash's Metacritic score: 69 2006 nominee Babel's Metacritic score: 69. Expand
  50. MagdalenaT.
    Mar 3, 2007
    Excellent Movie. I know some people didnt like it, that is mainly because they didn't want to think. This movie will require you to concentrate to what is happening. Excellent movie. Very well made and required a lot of work. MUST SEE for anyone. Educational for sure.
  51. MajedM.
    Mar 3, 2007
    AWESOME MOVIE. You will need to pay attention, as this movie is not for the uneducated ones. It is a mind twister....loved it. MUST SEE
  52. RG
    Mar 2, 2007
    This was a let down. huge fan of Inarritu and writer arriaga, but there is just too much being hammered on scene after scene. not to say its a bad effort. gorgeous looking film and some solid acting: while jenifer hudson sang in dreamgirls rinko kikuchi played a deaf and mute to get feelings across (brilliant actn). pitt and the rest are strong as well but the movie just lags. where prev This was a let down. huge fan of Inarritu and writer arriaga, but there is just too much being hammered on scene after scene. not to say its a bad effort. gorgeous looking film and some solid acting: while jenifer hudson sang in dreamgirls rinko kikuchi played a deaf and mute to get feelings across (brilliant actn). pitt and the rest are strong as well but the movie just lags. where prev two movies felt a little looser, this felt more contrived. i cannot help but draw comparison to crash, but this is still way better than that. the movie is def worth checking for the rikus story(some real powerful moments there), even though everything connects has been beaten to death. 5 without Rinko. Expand
  53. LennonA.
    Mar 1, 2007
    One of the finest achievements in the world of cinema since the turn of the century. This film was breathtaking, tragic, intense, gripping, everything. A solid, unquestionable masterpiece.
  54. CindyN.
    Feb 27, 2007
    I was struck by the lesser actors and actresses by the immense human performances. Amelia and the Moroccan families. People have so much good in them that we seldom see. It all came together in a beautiful cinematic prose.
  55. AnthonyC.
    Feb 25, 2007
    Great movie, makes you think.
  56. BritT.
    Feb 25, 2007
    This movie is suppose to portray the objectives of our stereotypical behavior. Each of the stories represent our behavior towards others to perfection.
  57. roydenirvine
    Feb 24, 2007
    A difficult film - but full of meaningful interconnections. I feel a lot of major media critics view the film with left brain consciousness, often replacing one's innocence/openness with the cynicism of growing old with importance . It's also interesting how the Europe generally view Inarritu's work (and cinema). European consciousness seems to have a different set of A difficult film - but full of meaningful interconnections. I feel a lot of major media critics view the film with left brain consciousness, often replacing one's innocence/openness with the cynicism of growing old with importance . It's also interesting how the Europe generally view Inarritu's work (and cinema). European consciousness seems to have a different set of 'glasses' when viewing the word. Externally and culturally. They often see the art and not just the technical cleverness. Poetry - is that understood in today's world. Close to a masterpiece. Expand
  58. EnriqueP.
    Feb 21, 2007
    Here's the story: We are all connected in the world. One way or another. So maybe the decisions are extremely coincidental in some situtations. Be it! That's reality in this world we live in. Everything we put our hands on has been created, brought from concept and distributed by someone, somewhere at some point. We have to be thankful for those people that even ourselves do not Here's the story: We are all connected in the world. One way or another. So maybe the decisions are extremely coincidental in some situtations. Be it! That's reality in this world we live in. Everything we put our hands on has been created, brought from concept and distributed by someone, somewhere at some point. We have to be thankful for those people that even ourselves do not know who they are, but we're smart enough to understand they exist (and their feeings too.) Great direction, great actors (known and unknown until now) great movie ! 10+ Inarritu. Expand
  59. ChristopherW.
    Feb 21, 2007
    'Babel' has four compelling stories that might indeed make four interesting films. Unfortunately, even though the narrative holding them together is more clearly defined than in his last two features, the interconnections between these four stories make each of them feel a bit like tangents instead of revelations. The cast is superb and the film is fascinating and emotionally 'Babel' has four compelling stories that might indeed make four interesting films. Unfortunately, even though the narrative holding them together is more clearly defined than in his last two features, the interconnections between these four stories make each of them feel a bit like tangents instead of revelations. The cast is superb and the film is fascinating and emotionally arresting throughout, but the ending doesn't really bring these four seemingly disparate stories together as one might expect, and, as a result, the film as a whole is slightly unsatisfying. Nonetheless, 'Babel' has much to offer the patient, perceptive viewer and is most certainly worth watching! As a note, 2006 was a great year for Spanish directors. 'Volver,' 'Pan's Labrynth, 'Children of Men,' and, of course, 'Babel' are all great examples of the talent and artistry that reside outside of Hollywood. Expand
  60. Dan
    Feb 19, 2007
    What a movie. Brilliant in every way. Complex and greatly crafted story, great acting all round, thought provoking and beutifully shot. give this one the Oscar
  61. ShawnC.
    Feb 19, 2007
    Babel reveals interconnectedness of the one. Like a pebble thrown into water. This film shows that what we do in life reflects and connects us all.
  62. MarcD.
    Feb 19, 2007
    Excellent film about confused communtication and how it can rip things appart. Loved the tension and pace of this movie.
  63. MartinZ.
    Feb 19, 2007
    I went to see this with a slight sense of trepidation. I'd recentely seen '21 Grams' which seemed, at best, a kind of pretentious, well-filmed soap-opera. I've always been suspicious of these portmanteau plots that play with time, if only because so many people think that if a movie confuses them, it must be good (oh, say... Pulp Fiction, for one...). However, my fears I went to see this with a slight sense of trepidation. I'd recentely seen '21 Grams' which seemed, at best, a kind of pretentious, well-filmed soap-opera. I've always been suspicious of these portmanteau plots that play with time, if only because so many people think that if a movie confuses them, it must be good (oh, say... Pulp Fiction, for one...). However, my fears were quickly allayed. 'Babel' has little of '21 Grams' pretension or melodrama, showing convincing characters too wrapped up in their own problems to listen to each other. The plots link well and Inarritu avoids teasing his audience with obscure connections between them. The only thing which holds back a higher rating is that I have a sneaking suspicion that movies are supposed to be enjoyable, and while there was a certain pleasure to be derived from this, it's rather akin to the pleasure derived from punching a brick wall... repeatedly... for two and a half hours... A great film - one to see once, but not buy, and one that will actually make you glad to get back to the real, less painful, world. Expand
  64. IreneR.
    Feb 14, 2007
    A beautiful, engrossing, captivating, moving film that is the essence of movie-making. I deeply cared about each of the characters and so appreciated the connections: the arbitrariness of individual people's lives as they are separated from the ordinary dailiness and thrown iinto ordinary accident (of birth, class, unintended consequences of their own and others' decisions.) A beautiful, engrossing, captivating, moving film that is the essence of movie-making. I deeply cared about each of the characters and so appreciated the connections: the arbitrariness of individual people's lives as they are separated from the ordinary dailiness and thrown iinto ordinary accident (of birth, class, unintended consequences of their own and others' decisions.) Life is complicated; connections are tenuous; it's hard to control or even to predict consequences. We fear for our children! Expand
  65. ArielG.
    Feb 14, 2007
    A very rich and rewarding movie. It was much like Crash, with the conjoined stories. Babel also gives us characters, who at first seem selfish in their own ways, but that we can feel sorry for and empathize for, as the movie goes on. It was especially heart-wrenching to step into the world of Chieko, the Japanese deaf-mute. There are lots of scenes of thought and quiet reflection, so if A very rich and rewarding movie. It was much like Crash, with the conjoined stories. Babel also gives us characters, who at first seem selfish in their own ways, but that we can feel sorry for and empathize for, as the movie goes on. It was especially heart-wrenching to step into the world of Chieko, the Japanese deaf-mute. There are lots of scenes of thought and quiet reflection, so if you prefer car chase scenes and loud explosions, you may not enjoy this movie so much. But I found Babel to be one of the greats of the 2006/2007 season, along with Blood Diamond, The Departed, Little Miss Sunshine, Last King of Scotland, Pan's Labyrinth, and Casino Royale. Expand
  66. SamuelB.
    Feb 11, 2007
    A deeply moving and beautifully acted and directed film. It does not manipulate our feelings but reaches them directly.
  67. JanieC.
    Feb 11, 2007
    I think this movie was so deep and made you really think about serious issues. I have read the idea of the movie's theme being one of cultural difference and/or family and I agree that is makes you think about such topics. I also thought the incident of guns and violence was huge in how it effects people in general. Especially, the idea that cultures and authorities seemed more I think this movie was so deep and made you really think about serious issues. I have read the idea of the movie's theme being one of cultural difference and/or family and I agree that is makes you think about such topics. I also thought the incident of guns and violence was huge in how it effects people in general. Especially, the idea that cultures and authorities seemed more interested in why and how the violence happened vs. the devistating impact it had on the lives of those involved. I was thinking if they were able to track a gun to Japan before helping a woman shot that is a sad reality. They also seemed more interested in arrested the Mexican immigrants, ignoring the welfare of the children and the emotions the nanny was showing for them. Also, the Japanese father emphasizing "how" the mother died. I definitely think it was a great reminder how culturally we all have failed to emphasize the importance on human emotion and wellbeing and put it second to power, authority, and blame. We really are insensitive to the notions that all humans suffer and maybe helping each other should be top priority. Expand
  68. HowardS.
    Feb 7, 2007
    Kindness and indifference are indelibly linked to whether an action is based upon fear or courage. The tourists acting out of fear demonstrate the most obvious indifference with no shortage of words to justify their actions. Playing the terrorist card indiscriminantly appeals to fear,not courage. The japanese deaf mute, probably the most courageous and yet vulnerable character in the Kindness and indifference are indelibly linked to whether an action is based upon fear or courage. The tourists acting out of fear demonstrate the most obvious indifference with no shortage of words to justify their actions. Playing the terrorist card indiscriminantly appeals to fear,not courage. The japanese deaf mute, probably the most courageous and yet vulnerable character in the film, exists without speech yet demonstrates the greatest power of communication and empathy by the squeezing of her father's hand. The point is not to rid oneself of language, as the elaborate note given to the Japanese police officer bears witness, but rather to recognize how language itself has the capacity to distort. Without exception the most unambivalent acts of kindness are perpetuated without words in this film, from the elderly morrocan lady to the local doctor whose actions saved the life of Blanchett's character. This film is growing on me. Expand
  69. EleanorW.
    Feb 5, 2007
    Riveting, fascinating, but very sad.
  70. ElliotP.
    Feb 4, 2007
    If you want to see Brad Pitt, go see another of his movies, because his role in this one, while excellently portrayed, is little more than a cameo appearance. The movie ending was an interesting segment, in a film of segments, but was baffling, and less than satisfying. The acting in all parts was beautiful to watch; I am not sure the director really had a unifying vision. I suspect the If you want to see Brad Pitt, go see another of his movies, because his role in this one, while excellently portrayed, is little more than a cameo appearance. The movie ending was an interesting segment, in a film of segments, but was baffling, and less than satisfying. The acting in all parts was beautiful to watch; I am not sure the director really had a unifying vision. I suspect the name Babel is supposed to explain and excuse a lot of this disjointed and empty feelings away. Expand
  71. ManuelV.
    Feb 3, 2007
    Great Achievment, great cinematography, great script. Iñarritu and Arriaga are one of the best collaborators in the movie industry and with this film now they had closed a brilliant trilogy who started with Amores Perros and 21 Grams.
  72. Harry
    Feb 2, 2007
    "Powerful". This is the first word that comes to my mind when I remember Iñarritu's excellent "Babel". A unique story, a supreme acting and an amazing directing made me schocked, thrilled and surprised as the stories are revealed. The drive is definitely wonderful and the stories really connect perfectly as well as a well ambientated screenplay gives a more realistic touch and "Powerful". This is the first word that comes to my mind when I remember Iñarritu's excellent "Babel". A unique story, a supreme acting and an amazing directing made me schocked, thrilled and surprised as the stories are revealed. The drive is definitely wonderful and the stories really connect perfectly as well as a well ambientated screenplay gives a more realistic touch and a very clear lesson to the film. The acting was without any doubt phenomenal. Every single actor makes you forget that they're acting and make you feel convinced of the character. The best performances are without any single doubt those of Rinko Kikuchi as a deaf Japanese teenager who would do anything to loose her virginity and Adriana Barraza as a nanny that takes the kids she takes care of to her son's wedding and ends up entering immigrant problems. These two portrayal were extremely intense, realistic and convincing. So please people, go see the film that is for the moment, my favorite of the year. Expand
  73. NiallD.
    Feb 1, 2007
    This is a film about isolation and trusting when it is not easy to trust, it is about feeling alone and transparent but with an overwhelming determination to survive. Being an alien in a foreign land. being a prisoner in your own body. This film raises social questions, they are not supposed to be easliy answered, maybe some of us have failed to answer them in the past maybe thats why we This is a film about isolation and trusting when it is not easy to trust, it is about feeling alone and transparent but with an overwhelming determination to survive. Being an alien in a foreign land. being a prisoner in your own body. This film raises social questions, they are not supposed to be easliy answered, maybe some of us have failed to answer them in the past maybe thats why we get offended, maybe we would prefer to not have to deal with the issues raised in this movie, as for watching half of it and walking out before giving the movie a chance to explain itself, then having the audacity to criticise, I dont agree. Ill finish by saying I'm not interested in bandwagoning or kissing ass I just thought it was one of the better Films I've seen. Expand
  74. DeWayneP.
    Jan 30, 2007
    Brilliant filmaking...this is a movie which is quilted with color-drenched cinematography and is richly layered with a manuscript made from, a not often encountered, a subtle unabridged classical style of storytelling. It comes at you with an ease of plot, that may be too complex to understand for most moviegoers who are addicted to the fast orgasmic pace of American moviemaking (an Brilliant filmaking...this is a movie which is quilted with color-drenched cinematography and is richly layered with a manuscript made from, a not often encountered, a subtle unabridged classical style of storytelling. It comes at you with an ease of plot, that may be too complex to understand for most moviegoers who are addicted to the fast orgasmic pace of American moviemaking (an American style that maybe great for 'Terminator,' but inevitably it always wilts under the raw heat of real-life storytelling). This has been a lovely comeback year for the art of cinema, may it continue to assault the 'dark-American-idol-side' of moviemaking. Amen. Expand
  75. TracyR.
    Jan 30, 2007
    Has some flaws, but does so much right that it gets the high score for intentions and for delivering some of the most stirring acting and beautiful cinematography to be seen in what has been a bad movie year. Two of the other best movies of the year (regardless of the Oscars) Pan's Labyrinth and Children of Men also emanated out of Mexico and it's an extraordinary burst that Has some flaws, but does so much right that it gets the high score for intentions and for delivering some of the most stirring acting and beautiful cinematography to be seen in what has been a bad movie year. Two of the other best movies of the year (regardless of the Oscars) Pan's Labyrinth and Children of Men also emanated out of Mexico and it's an extraordinary burst that should be treasured. Expand
  76. GregR.
    Jan 29, 2007
    Don't try to "figure it out" as you watch, if you do, you will miss the whole meaning of the movie. Just go with it, the actual connections between the different groups of people and countries really doesn't matter anyway. Babel is the best movie I've seen in a years.
  77. SaraM.
    Jan 27, 2007
    There's soimething in a good film isn't there - like it doesn't matter how bleak the matter at hand, how searing the tragedy, how painful the conclusions you are forced to draw, a great film makes you feel better going out than you did going in. Gripping, important, interesting. Go see.
  78. GabrielaI.
    Jan 25, 2007
    Amazing stories. Gonzalez Iññaritu at his best. Adriana Barraza, wonderful. Touching movie.
  79. Malcolm
    Jan 23, 2007
    Outstanding. This film is brave and ambitious, and for that alone it deserves to be applauded. The fact that it succeeds on (nearly) every level means that this film is more than worthy of the awards/nominations that have been bestowed upon it. It is bleak, yes. The links between the stories are vague to say the least, true (but, come on, it isn't meant to Lock Stock, with all the Outstanding. This film is brave and ambitious, and for that alone it deserves to be applauded. The fact that it succeeds on (nearly) every level means that this film is more than worthy of the awards/nominations that have been bestowed upon it. It is bleak, yes. The links between the stories are vague to say the least, true (but, come on, it isn't meant to Lock Stock, with all the storys interwining neatly with a nice little bow on top...it's far more REALISTIC than that). But these are the only two points you could justifiably criticise the film on. The negative reviews of the illeducated, impatient and those who only went to see it 'cos Brad was in it (for around 15 minutes...) should be ignored because this film is powerful, dramatic and MOVES you. Both Rinko Kikuchi and Adriana Barraza fully deserve their Academy award nominations, especially Kikuchi. Her debut performance as a troubled and confused deaf-mute teen are truly astonishing. The 'club scene' in her sub-plot is one of the highlights of any film of 2006. Go to see it with an open mind and you will be amazing. Fantastic. Expand
  80. MigueG.
    Jan 23, 2007
    C'est la vie ... Brillant and realistic portrayal of some human misunderstandings and injustices. Is it Fate? And sad, it left me quite saddened.
  81. SameerH.
    Jan 22, 2007
    An excellent movie which does not solve the problems of the world but does highlight the fact that they certainly do exist! The best thing was that although people think lowly of one another, in times of need - people from different backgrounds and cultures unite and help one another. That, I feel was the underlying message of the film. The scene where Brad Pitt offers the Moroccan some An excellent movie which does not solve the problems of the world but does highlight the fact that they certainly do exist! The best thing was that although people think lowly of one another, in times of need - people from different backgrounds and cultures unite and help one another. That, I feel was the underlying message of the film. The scene where Brad Pitt offers the Moroccan some money for his help and he refuses it was powerful because it showed that even a poor man helped because of humanity and for no other reason. Good effort but maybe a bit too long and a bad ending. Expand
  82. PatriciaS.
    Jan 20, 2007
    I think this movie was a bit too intelligent for the average viewer, hence the inanity of many of their dismaying and incredibly illiterate comments: pearls before swine. it is a tour de force in every way. superb.
  83. SteveA.
    Jan 19, 2007
    This movie had some very good acting. The movie had a realistic feel to it, if not gritty and ugly. However, the movie felt long, and it was hard to watch that much suffering. The movie just seemed to get more miserable and hopeless as it progressed...spoiler, spoiler...until, at the end, you had one child being killed, two more children barely clinging to life, another one begging to This movie had some very good acting. The movie had a realistic feel to it, if not gritty and ugly. However, the movie felt long, and it was hard to watch that much suffering. The movie just seemed to get more miserable and hopeless as it progressed...spoiler, spoiler...until, at the end, you had one child being killed, two more children barely clinging to life, another one begging to die, and one stripping naked in an attempt to be loved. Pretty harrowing stuff, but extremely well made, nonetheless. Expand
  84. Steve
    Jan 15, 2007
    Alejandro's weakest of the trilogy, but still a joy to watch great actors in an international drama.
  85. GaryT.
    Jan 14, 2007
    Brilliant editing and soundtrack. At times extremely moving, I read this as a strong meditation on compassion and interdependence. Annoyingly American-centric, no doubt for marketing reasons.
  86. SoniaG.
    Jan 13, 2007
    All the ingredients but lacked the punch.
  87. AlainA.
    Jan 11, 2007
    Cate Blanchett is great but this not a surprise. The surprise is Brad Pitt. Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu`s films is the bes in the year
  88. JeffS.
    Jan 10, 2007
    Brilliant film that selects 4 story-threads, playing them out to demonstrate truths about communication, time and the human condition.
  89. FrankO.
    Jan 7, 2007
    Very well acted, story arc similar to last year's Crash; interweaving story lines involving three different cultures. Felt long but changing story locations made it move along.
  90. RichardG.
    Jan 7, 2007
    Tense and unforgettable movie. Brilliant in all aspects except the too neat ending(s).
  91. MarkB.
    Jan 5, 2007
    Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu and screenwriter Guillermo Arriaga (Amores Perros and 21 Grams, their best film) reunite again for this exceedingly well-made but punishing tower of human misery, misunderstanding and the consequences of making mind-roastingly terrible mistakes that, like Vittorio DeSica's neorealist classic The Bicycle Thief, is a film I'm glad I saw once...and ONLY Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu and screenwriter Guillermo Arriaga (Amores Perros and 21 Grams, their best film) reunite again for this exceedingly well-made but punishing tower of human misery, misunderstanding and the consequences of making mind-roastingly terrible mistakes that, like Vittorio DeSica's neorealist classic The Bicycle Thief, is a film I'm glad I saw once...and ONLY once. Two Moroccan kids use a gun recently received as a gift in the worst possible way; parties directly or indirectly involved in the fallout include a U.S. couple (Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett) suddenly stranded in unfamiliar surroundings as they fight for life, a domestic (Adrianna Barraza) working here who hits an immigration wall when she decides to attend a wedding, and--most obscurely--a Japanese businessman and his deaf, seriously sexually disturbed teen daughter. Like their other films (and Paul Haggis' Crash) this deals heavily with the capriciousness of both fate and human error; while reaching the perhaps inevitable conclusion that fortune often favors those who are already quite well-off (and American), it commendably doesn't try to score easy points with facile U.S.-bashing. Equally notable is that, in keeping with its theme of people of many nations inextricably connected to one another by human experience but tragically separated by their inability to understand each other (which is actually an inversion of the Biblical account of the Tower of Babel, in which God punishes the nations of the world for attempting to form a common language and government, leaving Him out in the proceedings) Babel doesn't create any real villains. There are no Iagos, Medeas or Stanley Kowalskis here acting out of pure evil, cruelty or psychopathic self-interest; at worst, there are just people in authority doing their jobs the best they can. I hope the Motion Picture academy of Arts and Sciences sees fit to look beyond the usual corral of science fiction/ action epics that usual fill the editing and sound effects categories and honor this film there: Inarritu's work with sound, especially in a sequence where the deaf girl enters a disco, is truly phenomenal. However, despite all of Babel's excellences, its worldview is so unrelentingly bleak, and most of its stories play out that way, that I left the theater wanting as desperately to watch a musical or romantic comedy to cleanse the old palate as I'm beginning to think that Inarritu and Arriaga truly need to make one. Unfortunately, given their output at this point, I'm also beginning to suspect that I'M more capable of making one than they'll ever be! Expand
  92. JS
    Jan 2, 2007
    Haunting and in some ways profound. I found its somber tone and deliberate pace refreshing.
  93. KhayrA.
    Jan 1, 2007
    Thought provoking film about the things we take for granted and the mistakes in judgement we make, especially those attributed to loss and/or gain.
  94. LindaL.
    Dec 31, 2006
    From the "wrenching complexity" school of filmmaking, and don't forget that this director got a more incredible performance from Sean Penn in "21 Grams" than his highly praised turn in "Mystic River." This movie does not hang together as well, but the performances are engrossing -- the one by the Mexican actress most of all, I would say.
  95. andrew
    Dec 28, 2006
    Its a great film!! the performance of brad pitt was very impressive!
  96. TonyA.
    Dec 27, 2006
    Great depth and acting. Moving. Great performance from Kikuchi as Chieko
  97. Enrique
    Dec 26, 2006
    Not Inarritu's best, but still great cinema with an intriguing, thought provoking story line. Great acting by the whole cast.
  98. BillG
    Dec 20, 2006
    A phenomenal intriguing film with amazing depth. Acting all around is first rate with Brad Pitt giving an and very credible performance. A film you have to see twice to truly appreciate it.
  99. SandyS.
    Dec 19, 2006
    A great film; highly impactful with terrific performances by Pitt and the Japanese teenager. A very clever blending of disparate lives with a common thread that impacts all. Leaves one with a powerful after taste and tightening of the stomach - excellent.

In the year's richest, most complex and ultimately most heartbreaking film, Inarritu invites us to get past the babble of modern civilization and start listening to each other.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Effectively building dread and emotional tension as tragic incidents triggered by human stupidity and carelessness steadily multiply, this film, like "21 Grams" in particular, employs a deterministically grim mindset in the cause of its philosophical aspirations, but is gripping nearly all the way.
  3. The filmmakers succeed brilliantly in weaving these stories together, taking time to explore depth of character and relationships. The suspense builds throughout as everyone involved becomes lost in a place they don't understand with people they don't know if they can trust.