Universal Pictures | Release Date: May 24, 1991
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 99 Ratings
Watch Now
sammyramoneAug 29, 2012
I love Backdraft it's my alltime favorite firefighter movie this movie is claer cut of how a ood cast,great direction and story plus jaw dropping fire scenes filled with special effects can amke a movie so good.Backdraft's storyline startsI love Backdraft it's my alltime favorite firefighter movie this movie is claer cut of how a ood cast,great direction and story plus jaw dropping fire scenes filled with special effects can amke a movie so good.Backdraft's storyline starts out in familar territory then begins to tread on unexplored areas of storytelling.The cast in this film is as much of a presence as the fire.Ron Howard who reallys surprised me with this movie tis wasn't something he usually did bt he pulled it off wonderfully.That is why I gave this film a perfect score. Expand
nellytimeMar 1, 2012
This movie is a very enjoyable watch... the critics are being far too harsh here!!! "you go, we go!" absolutely epic stuff... maybe i have a bit of 90's nostalgia but do urself a fav and check it ouy!
Godzilla1954May 21, 2014
Not a lot of people can truly say that they have a one unique favorite movie thats stands out from the rest. However for me Backdraft does. Directed by Ron Howard with an all star cast , Backdraft is the story of Chicago Firefighters ofNot a lot of people can truly say that they have a one unique favorite movie thats stands out from the rest. However for me Backdraft does. Directed by Ron Howard with an all star cast , Backdraft is the story of Chicago Firefighters of Engine 17. The film begins seeing young Brian McCaffrey (William Baldwin) witnessing his fathers death at a building fire. We cut to 17 years later Brian having just graduated as a candidate Firefighter , he and his older brother Lt Stephen McCaffery (Played By Kurt Russell) don't get along so well , Stephen tempers with Brians station so that Brian is sent to his Department , Stephen looks over Brian & worrys about him after a factory fire , Brian did not listen to Stephens orders and nearly got killed. After a few weeks Stephen convinces Brian to give up being a Firefighter. Meanwhile thorought the movie , the Department responds to numerous calls that have been killing people with Backdrafts. Brian get's a new Job withfire inspector Donald Rimgale (Played by Robert De Niro), Him & Donald investigate how & who is causing the backdrafts which end in an epic finally and a extremly sad ending. Why do I love this movie ? well beside from the fact that it has stunning special effects & visuals , amazing music & strong performances. I love it being that I watched it at a very young age and since then , my whole life i've wanted to be a firefighter , sure its farfetched & far from real but thats not the point. The movie made me love Firefighters & My dream is to someday be a professional firefighter. I could watch this movie 10 times a day and never get tired of it. Its one of those movies that get's even better after you watch it again & again . Backdraft.....Thank you. Expand
PamL.May 20, 2006
Saw this movie on VHS as a rental and liked it enough to buy it. I found it to be an interesting tale about brothers, teamwork, risk-taking, and trust.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
BobMay 18, 2006
memorable realistic action and great actors.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
kublay0880Dec 18, 2012
It's definitely a good story, a poor performance on Baldwin but Russell does a good job, excellent special effects, and for those critics that say that there were too many fire in the movie I say HELLO!!!!! it's a firefighter's story, it'sIt's definitely a good story, a poor performance on Baldwin but Russell does a good job, excellent special effects, and for those critics that say that there were too many fire in the movie I say HELLO!!!!! it's a firefighter's story, it's absolutely expected to see some flames in the movie don't you think? Well, it has a good plot and a great ending. Expand
Compi24Jan 1, 2013
Thanks to a refreshingly straightforward story, stellar directorial skills from Ron Howard, and an absolutely mind-blowing set of special effects, "Backdraft" makes for a worthy blockbuster of the greatly intelligent kind.
nickewingerJul 11, 2015
My father is a firefighter so I have been brought up around it and know that there is quite a bit of "Hollywood" special effects and things of that nature that make bits of the film, particularly the firefighting itself, fairly unrealisticMy father is a firefighter so I have been brought up around it and know that there is quite a bit of "Hollywood" special effects and things of that nature that make bits of the film, particularly the firefighting itself, fairly unrealistic i.e. fire doesn't make a lot of the sounds it does in the film, the hose at the last fire flying around in the air, in some parts if you look close you can see that the fire clearly coming from a gas source that is used for fire in a lot of movies.
Aside from all of that I did like the movie. It has a pretty good story line and I pretty much automatically like any movie or TV show that involves firefighting. For example I love Ladder 49 as well even though it is not all that widely liked.