7.8

1. KenB.
    Jan 22, 2005
    I came away from Bad Education somewhat peeved. First, while I enjoy plots that are somewhat convoluted, I felt that this film's plot was overcooked. As presented, the story seemed to be tricked up merely for the sake of trying to be clever. Second, eroticism certainly has its place in adult entertainment. But in this film, there is a sense that the director is again playing with his I came away from Bad Education somewhat peeved. First, while I enjoy plots that are somewhat convoluted, I felt that this film's plot was overcooked. As presented, the story seemed to be tricked up merely for the sake of trying to be clever. Second, eroticism certainly has its place in adult entertainment. But in this film, there is a sense that the director is again playing with his viewers. There is the promise of erotism but it is then denied. For example, one characted feints to strip naked for a swim. He pulls his jockey-shorts down to the top of his pubic hair, stops, and then jumps into the water wearing the shorts. We are not even allowed simple nudity. In the future, I think I'll watch the films of a more honest directors such as Catherine Breillat. Collapse
  2. JamesE.
    Oct 4, 2005
    I'm not sure what was so special about this other than it pushed the envelope with Catholicism. I was weirded out most of the movie.
  3. DannyC.
    Aug 26, 2006
    not almodovar's best. under its specious smartness there's so little.
  4. BillyB.
    Dec 24, 2004
    Sordid and ugly. A film that fails on every level. Almo. has done gorgeous films. This one is almost colorless and blank. Instead of imagination, it has confusion. Instead of love, it has nihilism, destruction and hopelessness. A companion who is a big fan of Almo. said as we were leaving, "I feel as if I've been dragged behind a goat cart for two hours." That pretty well sums it up.
  5. TonyB.
    Nov 15, 2005
    Not much ado about nothing perhaps, just about very little...one of the more overrated films in recent memory.

1. If only Bad Education engaged the heart as much as the head, Almodovar's fractured tale might have risen above its alienating noir conventions.
  2. Reviewed by: Phil Hall
    Such garbage that taking a shower at the Bates Motel is a more appealing alternative.
    Complex and devious beyond easy recounting, Bad Education is about the fallout from the ending of a "pure" love between boys, consecrated in an Almodóvaran temple--a movie theatre.