7.8

1. May 29, 2013
    I finally saw this film but only after watching Almodovar's more recent "The Skin I Live In," which for me was a far superior movie--one of the best of 2011. However, even second-tier Almodovar is a heightened and idiosyncratic pleasure and is far better than most films made today. And "Bad Education"--with its signature blend of sex, camp, melodrama, and noir--is most definitely andI finally saw this film but only after watching Almodovar's more recent "The Skin I Live In," which for me was a far superior movie--one of the best of 2011. However, even second-tier Almodovar is a heightened and idiosyncratic pleasure and is far better than most films made today. And "Bad Education"--with its signature blend of sex, camp, melodrama, and noir--is most definitely and unmistakably Almodovar. This film also features superb music by Alberto Iglesias (who deserves to win an Oscar someday) and impressive acting--the actors incl. Gael Garcia Bernal really throw themselves into their roles. Expand
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    It's a good story it got me guessing the entire movie, but it's always the same thing with Almodovar a gay or a lesbian drama and lots of sex and naked people, sometimes it's just too much maybe a scene to set up the idea or the mood of movie. And personally I hate actors faking a foreign accent, yo don't need Gael to perform that character when you have so many real Spanish actors.
  3. Apr 5, 2012
    Personally, I believe this is an excellent movie! Unlike many people who love Almodovar, I don't always enjoy all his movies but this film is gold! A must in a list of a movie-lover!
  4. Oct 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was too complex in that I could not understand what the film meant. I could not assemble it for myself to one striking meaning. The characters go off in different directions without taking me to one destination, so to speak.

The use of the Super 8 was very clever (and disturbing). The mise-en-scene and lighting were often classic noir, direct. The metafiction and the emotion that followed were done well. Almodovar has a lot of ideas, but if we see a convergence of features in this work, or just a fireworks display of cinematography, I have to say the latter. But this is one of the most interesting films I have seen from a narrative structure point of view, and I would recommend others to see it. One gets the sense that this was a deeply felt film from the writer/director's point of view. I wonder very much how this work could be condensed, how this meta-fictional structure could apply elsewhere to a more powerful effect.

1. If only Bad Education engaged the heart as much as the head, Almodovar's fractured tale might have risen above its alienating noir conventions.
  2. Reviewed by: Phil Hall
    Such garbage that taking a shower at the Bates Motel is a more appealing alternative.
    Complex and devious beyond easy recounting, Bad Education is about the fallout from the ending of a "pure" love between boys, consecrated in an Almodóvaran temple--a movie theatre.