Bad Santa

8.6

1. DerekG.
    Jun 25, 2004
    Horrible, horrible, horrible...comparing this to "South Park" is wrong because SP is witty. "Bad Santa," however, is not.
  2. Sonic
    Sep 6, 2004
    It seems like whoever wrote and directed this movie wasnt even going for a comedy. The whole idea was to make it as disguisting as possible. every scene was a dull moment designed to make the viewer uncomfortable. the movie mostly just depressed me and my companion.
  3. JohnB.
    Jun 19, 2006
    I'd heard this was a really pretty good dark comedy and I like Billy Bob, so I gambled on the rental and the time involved to take a look. Whoever said it was pretty good (some critics actually thought it was really good!) should have their critic license revolked ,or at least suspended. This thing is mean spirited (I Iknow, that's the point) but in a very unfunny, pointless way I'd heard this was a really pretty good dark comedy and I like Billy Bob, so I gambled on the rental and the time involved to take a look. Whoever said it was pretty good (some critics actually thought it was really good!) should have their critic license revolked ,or at least suspended. This thing is mean spirited (I Iknow, that's the point) but in a very unfunny, pointless way that delivers absolutely nothing but swearing and depressing characters that no one could possibly care about, much less like. There is not one funny line in the entire film. Even the sex scenes are vile. (Like BBT's character could actually have sex with anyone) The worst-bad on so many levels its impossible to describe. Expand
  4. Lodde
    Jul 5, 2004
    I am a very perverse, obscene person. I usually enjoy a movie that is completely indecent, so when I heard about Bad Santa, I was expecting a laugh out loud experience. But this was a complete disappointment, there was absolutely no cleverness to this comedy. I think I laughed twice the whole movie. I literally think this is one of the poorest comedies I have ever scene. The critics have I am a very perverse, obscene person. I usually enjoy a movie that is completely indecent, so when I heard about Bad Santa, I was expecting a laugh out loud experience. But this was a complete disappointment, there was absolutely no cleverness to this comedy. I think I laughed twice the whole movie. I literally think this is one of the poorest comedies I have ever scene. The critics have no idea what they're talking about, I guess they're so surprised to hear bad language interactions between adults and children. But it's the same words repeatedly spewed by the characters, with no creativity whatsoever (besides some of the statements by the black elf). My suggestion: do not waste your time or money on this film. Perhaps if you had zero expectations, you might be pleasantly surprised. Otherwise, go watch paint dry and yell out loud every curse word you have ever heard while children are present. The experience is equivalent. Expand
  5. LaffertyY.
    Dec 4, 2003
    NO. NOT a good movie. Its worth about 5 good laughs, and thats it. It honestly lacks deeply in cleverness. It is long, and there are so many jokes, but precious few are actually funny. I think the guys thought "Heres a good idea! This will write itself!" and then gave no real effort, hence a poor movie. 2 points for the handful of laughs and Billy Bob doing his best on a bad movie.
  6. WAKOJAKO
    Dec 8, 2003
    This film is getting better reviews than it deserves. I enjoyed it about as much as getting my teeth cleaned--dull and sometimes piercingly REPULSIVE. That a beautiful woman like Lauren Graham's character might want to have sex with a disgusting loser like the one played by BB Thornton is not only absurd but thoroughly unwatchable. I'd rather see Jack and Diane get it on in This film is getting better reviews than it deserves. I enjoyed it about as much as getting my teeth cleaned--dull and sometimes piercingly REPULSIVE. That a beautiful woman like Lauren Graham's character might want to have sex with a disgusting loser like the one played by BB Thornton is not only absurd but thoroughly unwatchable. I'd rather see Jack and Diane get it on in their forthcoming flick, which promises more laughs than this indigestible, putrid turd. Expand
  7. PatC.
    Aug 9, 2004
    Unbalanced. An obnoxious antisocial Santa is a good idea for a skit, but doesn't hold this full-length feature together. And who is the target audience? Unsuitable for children, and too juvenile for adults. Thornton should go back to roles he does best, providing an occasional zinger. He is a rare talent who here thoroughly demonstrates the low end of his acting spectrum.
  8. BryanK.
    Dec 22, 2003
    Not my type of humor. But if you are into drunken, obnoxious, and swearing this may be the movie for you.
  9. Rico
    Jun 23, 2004
    Has exactly 0 laughs. This is a "comedy" strictly for those who think South Park is funny. I think it has the power to depress rather than to lift the spirits. It actually would have made an interesting and unnerving drama...and it would have been funnier.
  10. RachelW.
    Jun 24, 2004
    If possible i would have given this film a negative number as a rating. it's no coincidenct that Bad Santa's initials are "BS" - it is absolute drivel that the gullible public has been conned into thinking is funny because it's 'politically incorrect'. wake up and smell the dogs**t people. this is one of the worst movies i've ever seen (and i've seen If possible i would have given this film a negative number as a rating. it's no coincidenct that Bad Santa's initials are "BS" - it is absolute drivel that the gullible public has been conned into thinking is funny because it's 'politically incorrect'. wake up and smell the dogs**t people. this is one of the worst movies i've ever seen (and i've seen hundreds). anyone who thinks alcoholics are amusing should go to their local bar. billy b wouldn't get the girl, he'd get tossed face first to the curb by the nearest bouncer. oh and drinking and driving, that's a real laugh riot? if you want an antidote for christmas, watch national lampoon's christmas vacation instead. Expand
  11. DennisP.
    Jul 12, 2004
    The most offensive thing about Bad Santa was it's complete lack of humor or wit.
  12. TomW.
    Aug 25, 2004
    Let me just say this is the worst movie I have ever seen.
  13. Deb
    Aug 7, 2004
    Offensive, boring, and without an engaging character, this movie makes my list of all-time stinkers.

1. Isn't up to much of anything besides pretending that swearwords and snot-nosed insults, served up by Santa with an almost institutional monotony, aren't just naughty. They're -- big joke! -- incorrect.
  2. Happens to be extremely funny -- at times sidesplittingly so -- thanks to Zwigoff's way with raw irreverence and Thornton's perfectly pitched, ready-for-anything performance.
  3. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    First-rate talent and a uniquely dyspeptic mood separate this effort from more routine, populist stabs at tasteless yukkage.