5.2

1. Jun 30, 2011
    Bad Teacher was just plain BAD. The entire movie was choppy and un-fulfilling - plot, humor and all. I usually love Cameron Diaz, Justin Timberlake and Jason Segel, but they just didn't pull it off in this one. My advice - if you want to waste two hours of your life, at least save your money and wait for it to come out on cable.
  2. Oct 3, 2011
    Bad Teacher. Bad movie.
    The woman was horrible til the very and I mean very end. Her rival through the movie, though annoying, got everything bad she didn't deserve happen to her! It's something I wish I hadn't waste my time on. I went to the bathroom during it just so I could leave the room for a while. Also, not enough Jason Segal...
  3. Jun 30, 2011
    I thought this would at least be one of the brainless summer comedy flicks, but I didn't even that for the price of the tickets. I'm not sure how a comedy with this cast can be so flat, but this film was pretty bad. Sure, I laughed more than a couple of times, but I was certainly ready for the movie to end after ~75% of the way through. I didn't really believe any of the characters (I know, believability isn't often necessary for brainless comedies, but this one was particularly bad), and I was given no reason to CARE for any of the characters. Few were very likeable, and we weren't given enough character development to create any reason to pull for any particular character. At least some other comedies of the past 5 years have given me a reason to take interest in a character of plot line. Really, leave this for a DVD rental, at the maximum. If you decide to skip it, be happy knowing that you aren't missing anything much. Expand
  4. Jun 29, 2011
    I went into this movie excited for a good heartfelt comedy and left with four people who simultaneously said this sucked when the credits went up. This movie had one believable character of more than ten and is really disappointing in a cast that had three huge stars and what looked like a great supporting cast. Jason Segel was the only redeeming part of the film. Cameron Diaz wasn't just a bad teacher but a terrible and unrealistic person. Justin Timberlake was supposed to be funny as a quirky character but had zero realistic qualities and was really unlikable. The same goes for the girl who played Amy Squirrel who was just awful to watch. The message of the whole movie is be as terrible as you want and life will work out but the teacher who tries ends up having her life ruined. Message aside there were a few cheap laughs but overall this no heart terrible message movie disappoints on a big level Expand
  5. Jul 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bad actress(person). Is she? In a spoofing worse than Heath Ledger impersonating Val Kilmer in "Lords of Dogtown", Anna Faris sends up Cameron Diaz in "Lost in Translation", playing the megastar as the ultimate ditz, because filmmaker Sofia Coppola apparently was angered by how Diaz would flirt with then-husband Spike Jonze on the set of "Being John Malkovich". In a pointed scene, Scarlett Johansson(standing in for Coppola) and Giovanni Ribisi(likewise, for Jonze) walk through the lobby of the five-star Tokyo hotel they're staying at, and run into Faris, who channels Diaz's trademark gregariousness that we're accustomed to seeing on her late-night talk shows. With John's wife standing only inches away, Kelly comes on to the photographer with the sort of entitlement that comes with being famous. "I'm staying as Evelyn Waugh," the actress tells John, her favorite shutterbug, confirming in Charlotte's mind as to the vacuousness of this horribly proprietary woman. Waugh is a man, Charlotte, a Yale graduate, points out, much to the annoyance of her husband, who thinks he married a snob and ends up defending the intellectually impaired actress. Bad singer. In "My Best Friend's Wedding", Diaz hits all the wrong notes on the Burt Bacharach/Hal David-penned "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself", a karaoke scene that Coppola references with a karaoke scene of her own(not the good one in which Bill Murray makes like a lobotomized Bryan Ferry on "More Than This"), where Kelly gives Kimmy a run for her money by slogging her way through "Nobody Does it Better", the theme song for the James Bond flick "The Spy Who Loved Me". The guy who loved Diaz at the time, Justin Timberlake, in a less-reported item, probably takes the form of Kelly's equally vacuous musician boyfriend, an inarticulate hip-hop artist whose superficiality inspires Charlotte to seek better company at another table. Coppola, as evidenced by this wholesale character assassination, makes Diaz out to be a home-wrecker, a promiscuous tramp who can't keep her hands off other women's husbands. In particular, hers. The look of trepidation that washes across Ribisi's visage says it all when he realizes that Kelly doesn't know the first thing about poker faces. Seven years has passed since "Lost in Translation" hit theaters. Finally, at long last, Evelyn(Cameron is also a unisex name) strikes back. In "Bad Teacher", Diaz does little to tone down the sex-kitten persona that Coppola helped cultivate. Playing a foul-mouthed, pot-smoking, perpetually hung-over middle-school educator named Elizabeth, "Bad Teacher" makes good on Coppola's paranoia, in which Diaz's character makes no qualms about stealing Scott(Timberlake, with an axe to grind of his own), the school's latest hire, away from the conspicuously-named Amy Squirrel, who could very well be the surrogate for Coppola, a Francophile(Aimee is a French name) of Italian descent. It can't be a coincidence that Scott is a musician just like the filmmaker's second husband(Thomas Mars of the French indie-rockers Phoenix), and as the Period 5 lead singer, the vaguely effeminate substitute performs a self-penned song that he dedicates to Amy called "Simpatico", an English word of Italian origin, which also acknowledges both the filmmaker's ethnicity, and the wedding in Bernalda(a southern Italian town). Made livid by Scott's growing interest in Lucy, the bad teacher rubs poison ivy on her rival's apple, giving the good teacher a bad case of the hives. No longer able to chaperon a field trip, Elizabeth fills in for the stricken woman, then sets her sights on seducing the stricken woman's beau, culminating in an odd set-piece that recalls the hardcore puppet sex scenes in "Team America: World Police". Technically, in the strictest sense of the word, no betrayal takes place, since Scott insists on the relatively chaste act of dry humping. Nothing happened. In the crudest way possible, that's what Diaz communicates to Coppola when Elizabeth sends Lucy the lurid, but harmless images via camera phone. While Diaz is made out to be a tramp, Coppola self-congratulatingly paints herself as a woman of virtue. At the lounge bar, Charlotte tells Bob, "I wish I could sleep," leaving out the "with you," because unlike her philandering husband, marriage means something to her, as it does for the American actor, who says, "Me, too." This time, it's Coppola who plays the fool, in which her proxy is sent to Malcolm X High School, a dig, perhaps, at the filmmaker's preference to work in a mostly white milieu. It's not the most satisfying of endings because the moviegoer doesn't get what it paid for, a really bad teacher. With all the sex scandals involving educators and their charges, Elizabeth's homage to Tawny Kitaen during the benefit car wash scene just doesn't cut it. David Straitham in Karen Moncrieff's "Blue Car". Now that's a bad teacher. Expand
  6. Mar 19, 2012
    There isn't much to say about this film other than, "What a shame." There isn't a lick of cinematic value here. The story, acting and reason for existing are nowhere to be found.
  7. Jun 23, 2012
    That little F toy, Diaz, is really hot and her outlandish behavior are the best things about the movie. Not much else to care about this movie. Had some laughs but really only a one time rental.
  8. Sep 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought I was going to laugh my ass off at this movie. And I actually did. Only I wasn't laughing for the reasons I thought I would. I was laughing at how ridiculously bad it was. How bad was the acting in this movie? I've seen most of the main actors in this film do some great and hilarious work in their previous films so how could they be this terrible? It made no sense at all. They seemed to be working up to something and then they completley stopped and decide to just end the movie with no reconciliation at all.

Diaz's character ended the film the way she started it. The gym teacher could have been played by anyone moron with a sweatshirt. The film started all these different plot points with so many characters and didn't finish any of them. EVERY character and storyline was EXACTLY the same as they were when they started. There was no resolution to the film at all. Evidently Diaz's character realized that she didn't want to be a "bad teacher" or a shallow person anymore, but they don't give any reason why. She just "changed" and all of a sudden didn't like the clueless but wealthy teacher and started liking the gym teacher.

Please don't waste even a rental on this idiocy.
  9. Jun 30, 2011
    This was just a really bad movie. I did not laugh a single time and in the end you feel that you would really like to see the main character go to jail then get her own way.
  10. Jul 24, 2011
    Went into this one expecting at least a couple of laughs, and yes there are a few funny moments, ultimately thought this movie is just poorly made. Cameron Diaz's character is meant to be a bad teacher, yes we get it, but does she also have to be an unlikable **** for 90% of the film? How is the audience meant to empathize/sympathize or identify with this character? It just gets to the point where you don't care what happens next because the character is just so unlikable. Yes I understand that to some extent this is mean to be the point, that it is a "funny" story of redemption, but that redemption and arc comes way too late, by which you point you've already lost interest. I would've probably enjoyed this more if the character was a fraction more believable and little more likeable. Definitely save your time and your money - unless you like watching unlikeable characters that will piss you off and accomplish nothing but learn to be a "little" nicer by the end, wow, what a pathetic resolution. Expand
  11. Jun 24, 2011
    Bad Teacher is Bad Santa in a middle school instead of a mall. This is Cameron Diazâ
  12. Jun 27, 2011
    This movie was truly horrendous. I didn't laugh a single time. Sure, I smiled during one scene, but that's it. I've seen some really awful comedies in my time, but most of them manage to get at least one laugh out of me. But not with Bad Teacher. Whatever you do, do not waste your hard earned money on this. There is nothing worth seeing here. I hated every single one of the characters, especially Cameron Diaz (when was the last time she was in a good movie?). What, are we supposed to be charmed by her whorish, disgusting behavior? I wasn't. In fact, I found myself hating her more and more with each scene I saw her in, until I felt like beating her senseless at the end of the movie. Also, the premise is completely ridiculous: are you telling me the school was so blind that they hired this woman in the first place? And did none of the kids mention to their parents that their teacher was, you know, a legitimate prostitute? I can't count how many times I facepalmed during this movie. Thanks to Bad Teacher, I now have a permanent imprint of my hand on my forehead. Please, for the love of God, don't see this movie. You'd be better off sticking your ten bucks in a pipe and smoking it. Expand
  13. Jul 2, 2011
    I was really looking forward to seeing this movie (mainly because of Jason Segel) but was quickly disappointed. While a good amount of the movie was pretty funny, a film can't stand alone with jokes. There was no depth to the plot line whatsoever, the writing was horrible, and nothing made sense at all.
  14. Jun 27, 2011
    It's been days since I saw this movie and I am still struggling with feelings of disappointment. I should have waited for the DVD. Yes, I chuckled......at the predictable storyline. Sex, drugs, alcohol and education. What a combination!
  15. Jul 3, 2011
    A fairly boring film with many attempts and fails at humor. An easy to follow plot and an expected ending makes this film seem to somewhat drag on. Cameron Diaz plays the role of the nasty, mean teacher quite well but it was not enough to make this a good film. Granted, it starts to seem a little better during the falling action but doesn't get too much better. Now, don't get me wrong, this was not a complete waste of money seeing as how I believed a few parts to be rather funny. This film would probably appeal largely to adolescents but many other viewers will most likely find at least one funny bit in the film. Expand
  16. Jul 7, 2011
    Bad Teacher emphasizes how Cameron Diaz is a Bad Teacher in a humourers way, unfortunately, she's just plain bad...bad. Bad Teacher starts out boring and pretty much keeps on going like that throughout the whole movie, with a few jokes here and their. The plot is downright terrible and never draws you in at all, that and it has no depth at all. Cameron isn't a terrible actor in this movie, although the screenwriters are, all of her lines are a snoozefest and the other characters have no real emotional attachment to the plot at all. All of this comes together to become a very BAD movie.

Final Notes: If you like sitting in a movie theatre to watch a movie trying to be funny, you'll love this.
  17. Jul 8, 2011
    With a couple of forced laughs, this movie is better off as a rental or waiting for it on cable. I wasn't expecting much and it delivered exactly what I expected -- not much.
  18. Oct 5, 2011
    Unwatchably bad. Incredibly disrespectful to real teachers.

I cringed repeatedly at the terrible use of cliches and ridiculously exaggerated and unrealistic characters.
  19. Jul 12, 2011
    Decent movie, held interest. Unfortunately though not a single laugh-out-loud moment for my wife or I (couple in mid-30s). Since this is how I rate comedies (the LOL factor), I cannot score this highly.
  20. Aug 10, 2011
    I honestly praise Diaz performance but the script is so bland and efortless...no miracles would save this. Not the worst comedy ever but easily one of the worst I've seen this year so far.
  21. Sep 4, 2011
    The only thing that kept me watching was a few memorable lines and the reoccurring hope of getting a glimpse of some bare Diaz (which, to my disappointment, didn't happen.)
  22. Sep 25, 2011
    Just lop off "Teacher" from the title This was awful! To be fair, I am not a Cameron Diaz fan, a Justin Timberlake fan, a Jason Segal fan, or a Lucy Punch fan, and I can say with certainty that they only strengthened my low opinion of them all. These "actors" were terrible, the script was a dog, and the directing was embarrassing. The ONLY reason I'm giving this comedy-bomb a "1" is because of a great cameo by Modern Family's Eric Stonestreet. It was nice to see him perform a completely different role, even if it was too brief. Kudos also to Phyllis Smith, from The Office, for a good supporting role performance. The theatre was more than half full, but you could almost hear crickets chirp for most of the film, except when Mr. Stonestreet and Ms. Smith appeared. Expand
  23. Nov 18, 2011
    I didn't even watch the movie entirely. It seemed terrible already from the start, - and the main actor looks so annoying I wanted to punch that stupid blonde. Stupid movie. Not worth watching.
  24. Nov 21, 2011
    If you really want to see a movie that isn't funny at all, has bad acting and is over the top, watch it! These were the most useless 2 hours 8've spent to a movie in a very long time!
  25. Dec 16, 2011
    Unfortunately, like most Hollywood comedies, Bad Teacher is weighed down by all the heavy plot that stunts Cameron Diazâ
  26. Jan 25, 2012
    This movie is vulgar, unfunny and a total waste of time. She doesn't gets what she deserves and its definitely not the teacher I would trust my kids with!
  27. Mar 25, 2012
    Bad teacher is one of those movies that looked funny from the trailer but watching it, the trailer only used the funny parts which was about 2 lines in a over hour and half movie. Just another movie that tried to be funny and came up way way to short.
  28. Jun 19, 2012
    This movie really didn't have anything going for it aside from having....uh what was her name?....in it. Poor acting, poor story, and completely unrealistic. I was bored out of my skull watching this movie and when the "funny" parts came, it was more groans and "did they really just do that?" kind of moments.
  29. Apr 6, 2012
    Very predictable, but still a few good laughs. I really thought that Cameron Diaz was a little to old to play opposite Timberlake - it really made her look her age...
  30. May 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Elizabeth Halsey returns back to the school that she had just left the previous year, after her marriage to her wealthy fiancé is called off. Though she wants nothing more than to be married to a rich provider, she continues to teach to save money for her desired breast implants. All the while she constructs devious plans to procure what she desires; whether that is cash or the heart of a rich substitute teacher. Throughout her year at the school a zealous teacher tries everything in her power to show the school what a terrible teacher she is, and yet has her plans foiled, and backfired on her every time. This movie does not have many good qualities or morals to glean from. Halseyâ Expand
  31. Oct 18, 2012
    It's just a stupid movie. Every single laugh is in the red band trailer. The rest of the hour and a half is filled with dick jokes and attempting to have the audience like an awful human being. I'm not kidding when I say "Jack and Jill" was funnier. And I HATED that movie.
  32. Nov 7, 2012
    The purpose of the similarly titled 'Bad Santa' was to exploit something society thought of as innocent to the highest level possible. Bad Teacher attempts to do the same, but the supporting characters are so dreadful that we begin to root for Diaz, thwarting the film's entire objective.
  33. Jan 5, 2013
    Absolutely terrible and the worst movie I have ever seen. I'm not a fan of American comedies, but this one takes the cake. Horrible characters, mediocre and predictable plot, meh acting, and the humor is just not funny. The main character is a terrible person and there was NOTHING charming about it. How can you even pretend this is revolutionairy or good? This movie tottally sucked and my family agrees. Expand
  34. May 13, 2013
    Very very bad movie!
    No history, no humor, character zero!
    Pity to have lost time on this film!
    Normally Cameron Diaz is a good actress but on this film... Just a stupid teacher

1. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Jun 30, 2011
    It IS consistently funny. Its trash-can humor is tasteless, no doubt, but hey, that doesn't make it unpalatable.
  2. Reviewed by: Mary Pols
    Jun 26, 2011
    Bad Teacher revels in being distasteful. But it can't just let a bad woman be bad; she also has to be burdened with physical insecurity, even if it makes no sense. Can you imagine if Billy Bob Thornton's character had become Bad Santa so he could steal to fund his penis implant?
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Jun 26, 2011
    From time to time, Bad Teacher gestures vaguely at the movie it could have been. Diaz slouches and snarls effectively through the early scenes. It isn't till we realize her redemption will be unsatisfying that the character starts to curdle.