7.4

1. geethas.
    Oct 30, 2005
    I enjoyed the film.It had humour and good songs. i could see the film happily with elder members without worrying about hot scenes etc. Ash was simply outstanding. The film is worth a second trip.
  2. KetraM
    Mar 4, 2005
    The premise of this movie is absolutely ridiculous - having only a superficial basis or connection to actual Indian culture (yah right a traditional Indian family living in the Punjab region of Indian would openly allow their daughter to travel with a young, unfamiliar male that she is not related to prior to marriage and allow another daughter to romance a male in her own home!??? Has The premise of this movie is absolutely ridiculous - having only a superficial basis or connection to actual Indian culture (yah right a traditional Indian family living in the Punjab region of Indian would openly allow their daughter to travel with a young, unfamiliar male that she is not related to prior to marriage and allow another daughter to romance a male in her own home!??? Has this director even been to India?). There are so many cliches in this movie that it is embarassing - nothing seems to actually get resolved, the movie jumps around alot, skimming over everything that happens without spending any time exploring the situations that present themselves (e.g the younger daughter running away, Lalita falling in love with someone outside her culture....) - if you can't do these incidences justice, don't put them in the film. The Indian culture and people are truly beautiful AND diverse - I find it funny that Lalita rebels against the idea the other characters have of the typical Indian - yet the movie itself bases all it's characters on stereotypes. The 'musical' numbers are painful at best. I found that Ash (who I think is stunning and great in Bollywood films) comes off as overacting throughout the majority of the movie. The male lead, Darcy is horibbly acted. Unlike other reviews on this site, I do not believe that this movie reflects my culture whatsoever and I found it silly and not funny at all after the first half. The movie is great eye candy, so go see it for that reason alone, other than that it is definitely a renter. Expand
  3. Rhea
    Mar 8, 2005
    Great movie.
  4. Di
    Mar 9, 2005
    I would say this is one this was one of the most fun movies I have seen over the past few years - colourful, energetic, funny, romantic. Had me walking out the cinema afterwards smiling and happy. Well Done!!!
  5. SantoshS.
    Jul 5, 2005
    Awful. if this is the kind of film & performance ash is depending on to make it in hollywood god help all of us.
  6. satyas.
    May 10, 2006
    Light, entertaining fare. Aish makes her english language film debut with beauty & grace.
  7. phoebec.
    Mar 20, 2005
    Hillariuos!!!! some people might not agree but i think it is very entartining and ashwaria rai has made great progres considering the fact its her first all english film. the dances and music are very enrgetic and simply make you want 2 get up and dance and sing along. all in all i see this film as a funny and terrific film which is worth seeing.
  8. DiaM.
    Apr 1, 2005
    Awesome! it was funny, cute, sweet, and absolutely fun to watch. The music is wonderful to listen to and the film displays a good cordination of color and beauty. Besides Aishwarya and Martin's chemistry was brillant. Beauty girls and handsome men. Brillant fusion of Bollywood and Hollywood!
  9. RinaT
    Sep 9, 2005
    It was the best movie i have eva seen. it was funny, colourful , romantic, warm, superb etc n i loved Ash's performance..she was jus too good n looked really beautiful.
  10. RickB.
    Feb 22, 2006
    Yet another movie where asians(in this case INDIANS) are trying to be accepted by, lets see how should i say this, Caucasian. Lets face,when you look at a movie like this, that's what it comes down to. Alot of Chinese, Korean and Indian movies have this...You want an in your face real look at race and lack of a better word "issues", take a look at a little movie called CRASH(one of Yet another movie where asians(in this case INDIANS) are trying to be accepted by, lets see how should i say this, Caucasian. Lets face,when you look at a movie like this, that's what it comes down to. Alot of Chinese, Korean and Indian movies have this...You want an in your face real look at race and lack of a better word "issues", take a look at a little movie called CRASH(one of the best movies ever made). I don't know watching Indian movies is just getting more and more embarrassing to watch.-First, Aishwarya Rai was huge and not in a good way. Yes her looks are amazing, but makeup is even more amazing. They really need to pay makeup artist more money. Martin Henderson could not have been more boring, I mean come ooon did they really have to put such a white guy, they could have picked a normal looking white guy who could act, and suited the part, instead we get a guy that could run for president. The music was annoying compared to other indian movies, and the pace was slow and drawn out. Nothing important and nothing that really interesting, just the same old Sh!t hollywood and now BOLLYWOOD keeps farting out. Alot of white folks i came in contact with really like this movie, I mean who wouldn't like a movie where someone is giving up there culture for you. You know how that feels, wow, i wish they would make a movie of a Chinese girl falling in love and giving up everything for an Indian guy. I would give that movie a 10. But the movie has a good moral point to it thats why i gave it a 1, which is if we all try hard enough you too can end up with a white guy. Please look for my other reviews, a good one is Princess Mononoke. Oh right yea i am asian so please don't get angry(like if i care). Expand
  11. EugeneY.
    Nov 14, 2005
    A rather good movie with a bad start and even worst ending. Namrata Shirodkar who played Jaya should have been the main star. Martin Henderson was rather wooden and Aishwarya Rai should definately loose some pounds. Her huge biceps throughly and consistantly outshone her facial beauty.
  12. kaym.
    Dec 26, 2005
    Great fun!
  13. StevieG
    Feb 10, 2005
    I saw this film at a preview this evening. I loved "Bend It like Beckham." So I was very enthusiastic about this film. I really hated it. The only people who will enjoy this movie are those who really enjoy "Indian Cinema" and the retarded. While there are a few good laughs, a number of gorgeous Indian women and alot of pretty colors, this is the worst movie I have ever seen. I love I saw this film at a preview this evening. I loved "Bend It like Beckham." So I was very enthusiastic about this film. I really hated it. The only people who will enjoy this movie are those who really enjoy "Indian Cinema" and the retarded. While there are a few good laughs, a number of gorgeous Indian women and alot of pretty colors, this is the worst movie I have ever seen. I love movies. This was awful. The story was corny and predicatable. The writing was lazy and stupid. The acting was stilted. Did I mention that there were gorgeous women? While it is nice to see Indian culture being so prominently displayed . . . While it is clear that this film is a an homage to Indian cinema . . . While this is a film bereft with good feelings and a warm heart . . . While the beauty of Indian women is the central redeeming asset . . . This movie is so insipid and ordinary that I felt ripped off that I saw it for free. What a disapointment. Expand
  14. KatieC
    Feb 16, 2005
    This movie wasn't as good as Bend It Like Beckham it was still one of the best movies i have seen in a while.
  15. SanjayKumarS.
    Feb 18, 2005
    Good music and dance.
  16. MichaelG.
    Feb 19, 2005
    I didn't know what to expect, based on the trailer and the limited release. But, I have to say that this melange of Indian, British and American cultures is a delight. From start to finish, I found the movie to be compelling. It is funny, fascinating, heart warming, a colorful feast for eyes, new sights and sounds worthy of Discovery Channel, beautiful men and gorgeous women . Now, I didn't know what to expect, based on the trailer and the limited release. But, I have to say that this melange of Indian, British and American cultures is a delight. From start to finish, I found the movie to be compelling. It is funny, fascinating, heart warming, a colorful feast for eyes, new sights and sounds worthy of Discovery Channel, beautiful men and gorgeous women . Now, don't get me wrong, the script wasn't so good. The editing wasn't seamless. And, I wasn't sure if I was watching a musical or a film with music videos in it. But, overall, it is a great movie. Expand
  17. hughiew
    Feb 8, 2005
    Absolutely delightful! Ash is lovely!
  18. paul
    Mar 17, 2005
    Warm, funny, smart, colorful, romantic...a heart-warming romp across three continents with great music, what's not to love?
  19. ZafanaH.
    Mar 21, 2005
    It was really funny and i just love the songs!!!!!
  20. Seema
    Mar 26, 2005
    Bad movie. critics seem to ignore how bad aishwarya's acting was. she's used to being a beauty queen, she has no grasp on how to act truthfully instead of striking a beautiful pose. the movie poorly adapted the original pride and prejudice because it tried to capture every little plot turn. like lalita's sister's affair with wicker---so underdeveloped and lacking any Bad movie. critics seem to ignore how bad aishwarya's acting was. she's used to being a beauty queen, she has no grasp on how to act truthfully instead of striking a beautiful pose. the movie poorly adapted the original pride and prejudice because it tried to capture every little plot turn. like lalita's sister's affair with wicker---so underdeveloped and lacking any sense of emergency. ooh, darcy's sister got pregnant...and now the sister is taking pictures with wicker in london! the horror! all of that drama was revealed and neatly cleaned up in a span of fifteen minutes of watching rai clumsily run through London, pretending to look worried and scared. some good writing and note-worthy lines. i liked the mother's, father's, jaya's and nerd-sister's performances. henderson looked like he was drowning in a bad plot..which he probably was. terrible songs! Expand
  21. jeanlouisdep.
    Mar 31, 2005
    Fun with a happy end. sweet and uncomplicated.
  22. RajeshB.
    Mar 5, 2005
    A Must see. Get a glimplse and taste of India by watching this movie. Bright colors and lively. Lovely plot. Solid music.
  23. PreetyS.
    Mar 5, 2005
    I think this movie was just marvelous. I
  24. TaylorC.
    Apr 16, 2005
    Worst movie i have ever seen. i don't know where to start. the plot is horrid. the acting is insanely bad. stupid stupid stupid! the songs are completely random. BAAAAH.
  25. DarrenS.
    Apr 24, 2005
    This was an entertaing movie. How many times do you want to see an anemic sterile version of 19th Century literarture. Gurinder Chada has brought the culturally relevant Indian society that closely resembles that of the Victorians, and in so doing created a hybrid of colour and amusement. As for the acting, Aishwarya Rai is firey as the headstrong Lalita, and does her character justice.
  26. SashaT.
    Jul 21, 2005
    Bride and Prejudice was a very silly movie. The acting in it was very half-assed, yet its star, Aishwarya Rai shone through the whole film. I was greatly pleased by the dancing and singing coming out of nowhere. This film is much better than any terrible Hollywood musical (see: Chicago) Bollywood is truly spectacular.
  27. TaraS
    Aug 24, 2005
    The first half hour was almost intolerable, but after that I found it surprisingly hilarious and cute. I especially loved the random gospel choir singing on the beach, risers and all.
  28. JaspreetS.
    Feb 10, 2006
    Horrible movie to say the least. The acting is so over the top, and all the musical numbers are forced in there. Pure waste of Aishwriya and Naveen Andrews.
  29. LizP.
    Sep 15, 2006
    Very fun. Wonderfully colorful, catchy songs and goofy dancing, some hysterically funny bits, a great way to bring P&P to today and have it still make sense. Ok, it's a bit clumsy sometimes, but so what? Have a sense of humor.
  30. sfatehifar
    Dec 27, 2005
    Really liked it :)

1. Aside from the singing and dancing, it is the color and pageantry of India as filtered through the work of cinematographer Santosh Sivan that captivates us.
  2. Works because of its heedless, heart-on-its-sleeve spirit.
  3. Here's yet another take on "Pride and Prejudice,"...but all spiced up as colorfully as a dish of curry.