7.4

1. geethas.
    Oct 30, 2005
    I enjoyed the film.It had humour and good songs. i could see the film happily with elder members without worrying about hot scenes etc. Ash was simply outstanding. The film is worth a second trip.
  2. KetraM
    Mar 4, 2005
    The premise of this movie is absolutely ridiculous - having only a superficial basis or connection to actual Indian culture (yah right a traditional Indian family living in the Punjab region of Indian would openly allow their daughter to travel with a young, unfamiliar male that she is not related to prior to marriage and allow another daughter to romance a male in her own home!??? Has The premise of this movie is absolutely ridiculous - having only a superficial basis or connection to actual Indian culture (yah right a traditional Indian family living in the Punjab region of Indian would openly allow their daughter to travel with a young, unfamiliar male that she is not related to prior to marriage and allow another daughter to romance a male in her own home!??? Has this director even been to India?). There are so many cliches in this movie that it is embarassing - nothing seems to actually get resolved, the movie jumps around alot, skimming over everything that happens without spending any time exploring the situations that present themselves (e.g the younger daughter running away, Lalita falling in love with someone outside her culture....) - if you can't do these incidences justice, don't put them in the film. The Indian culture and people are truly beautiful AND diverse - I find it funny that Lalita rebels against the idea the other characters have of the typical Indian - yet the movie itself bases all it's characters on stereotypes. The 'musical' numbers are painful at best. I found that Ash (who I think is stunning and great in Bollywood films) comes off as overacting throughout the majority of the movie. The male lead, Darcy is horibbly acted. Unlike other reviews on this site, I do not believe that this movie reflects my culture whatsoever and I found it silly and not funny at all after the first half. The movie is great eye candy, so go see it for that reason alone, other than that it is definitely a renter. Expand
  3. Rhea
    Mar 8, 2005
    Great movie.
  4. Di
    Mar 9, 2005
    I would say this is one this was one of the most fun movies I have seen over the past few years - colourful, energetic, funny, romantic. Had me walking out the cinema afterwards smiling and happy. Well Done!!!
  5. SantoshS.
    Jul 5, 2005
    Awful. if this is the kind of film & performance ash is depending on to make it in hollywood god help all of us.
  6. satyas.
    May 10, 2006
    Light, entertaining fare. Aish makes her english language film debut with beauty & grace.
  7. phoebec.
    Mar 20, 2005
    Hillariuos!!!! some people might not agree but i think it is very entartining and ashwaria rai has made great progres considering the fact its her first all english film. the dances and music are very enrgetic and simply make you want 2 get up and dance and sing along. all in all i see this film as a funny and terrific film which is worth seeing.
  8. DiaM.
    Apr 1, 2005
    Awesome! it was funny, cute, sweet, and absolutely fun to watch. The music is wonderful to listen to and the film displays a good cordination of color and beauty. Besides Aishwarya and Martin's chemistry was brillant. Beauty girls and handsome men. Brillant fusion of Bollywood and Hollywood!
  9. RinaT
    Sep 9, 2005
    It was the best movie i have eva seen. it was funny, colourful , romantic, warm, superb etc n i loved Ash's performance..she was jus too good n looked really beautiful.
  10. RickB.
    Feb 22, 2006
    Yet another movie where asians(in this case INDIANS) are trying to be accepted by, lets see how should i say this, Caucasian. Lets face,when you look at a movie like this, that's what it comes down to. Alot of Chinese, Korean and Indian movies have this...You want an in your face real look at race and lack of a better word "issues", take a look at a little movie called CRASH(one of Yet another movie where asians(in this case INDIANS) are trying to be accepted by, lets see how should i say this, Caucasian. Lets face,when you look at a movie like this, that's what it comes down to. Alot of Chinese, Korean and Indian movies have this...You want an in your face real look at race and lack of a better word "issues", take a look at a little movie called CRASH(one of the best movies ever made). I don't know watching Indian movies is just getting more and more embarrassing to watch.-First, Aishwarya Rai was huge and not in a good way. Yes her looks are amazing, but makeup is even more amazing. They really need to pay makeup artist more money. Martin Henderson could not have been more boring, I mean come ooon did they really have to put such a white guy, they could have picked a normal looking white guy who could act, and suited the part, instead we get a guy that could run for president. The music was annoying compared to other indian movies, and the pace was slow and drawn out. Nothing important and nothing that really interesting, just the same old Sh!t hollywood and now BOLLYWOOD keeps farting out. Alot of white folks i came in contact with really like this movie, I mean who wouldn't like a movie where someone is giving up there culture for you. You know how that feels, wow, i wish they would make a movie of a Chinese girl falling in love and giving up everything for an Indian guy. I would give that movie a 10. But the movie has a good moral point to it thats why i gave it a 1, which is if we all try hard enough you too can end up with a white guy. Please look for my other reviews, a good one is Princess Mononoke. Oh right yea i am asian so please don't get angry(like if i care). Expand
  11. EugeneY.
    Nov 14, 2005
    A rather good movie with a bad start and even worst ending. Namrata Shirodkar who played Jaya should have been the main star. Martin Henderson was rather wooden and Aishwarya Rai should definately loose some pounds. Her huge biceps throughly and consistantly outshone her facial beauty.
  12. kaym.
    Dec 26, 2005
    Great fun!
  13. StevieG
    Feb 10, 2005
    I saw this film at a preview this evening. I loved "Bend It like Beckham." So I was very enthusiastic about this film. I really hated it. The only people who will enjoy this movie are those who really enjoy "Indian Cinema" and the retarded. While there are a few good laughs, a number of gorgeous Indian women and alot of pretty colors, this is the worst movie I have ever seen. I love I saw this film at a preview this evening. I loved "Bend It like Beckham." So I was very enthusiastic about this film. I really hated it. The only people who will enjoy this movie are those who really enjoy "Indian Cinema" and the retarded. While there are a few good laughs, a number of gorgeous Indian women and alot of pretty colors, this is the worst movie I have ever seen. I love movies. This was awful. The story was corny and predicatable. The writing was lazy and stupid. The acting was stilted. Did I mention that there were gorgeous women? While it is nice to see Indian culture being so prominently displayed . . . While it is clear that this film is a an homage to Indian cinema . . . While this is a film bereft with good feelings and a warm heart . . . While the beauty of Indian women is the central redeeming asset . . . This movie is so insipid and ordinary that I felt ripped off that I saw it for free. What a disapointment. Expand
  14. KatieC
    Feb 16, 2005
    This movie wasn't as good as Bend It Like Beckham it was still one of the best movies i have seen in a while.
  15. SanjayKumarS.
    Feb 18, 2005
    Good music and dance.
  16. MichaelG.
    Feb 19, 2005
    I didn't know what to expect, based on the trailer and the limited release. But, I have to say that this melange of Indian, British and American cultures is a delight. From start to finish, I found the movie to be compelling. It is funny, fascinating, heart warming, a colorful feast for eyes, new sights and sounds worthy of Discovery Channel, beautiful men and gorgeous women . Now, I didn't know what to expect, based on the trailer and the limited release. But, I have to say that this melange of Indian, British and American cultures is a delight. From start to finish, I found the movie to be compelling. It is funny, fascinating, heart warming, a colorful feast for eyes, new sights and sounds worthy of Discovery Channel, beautiful men and gorgeous women . Now, don't get me wrong, the script wasn't so good. The editing wasn't seamless. And, I wasn't sure if I was watching a musical or a film with music videos in it. But, overall, it is a great movie. Expand
  17. hughiew
    Feb 8, 2005
    Absolutely delightful! Ash is lovely!
  18. paul
    Mar 17, 2005
    Warm, funny, smart, colorful, romantic...a heart-warming romp across three continents with great music, what's not to love?
  19. ZafanaH.
    Mar 21, 2005
    It was really funny and i just love the songs!!!!!
  20. Seema
    Mar 26, 2005
    Bad movie. critics seem to ignore how bad aishwarya's acting was. she's used to being a beauty queen, she has no grasp on how to act truthfully instead of striking a beautiful pose. the movie poorly adapted the original pride and prejudice because it tried to capture every little plot turn. like lalita's sister's affair with wicker---so underdeveloped and lacking any Bad movie. critics seem to ignore how bad aishwarya's acting was. she's used to being a beauty queen, she has no grasp on how to act truthfully instead of striking a beautiful pose. the movie poorly adapted the original pride and prejudice because it tried to capture every little plot turn. like lalita's sister's affair with wicker---so underdeveloped and lacking any sense of emergency. ooh, darcy's sister got pregnant...and now the sister is taking pictures with wicker in london! the horror! all of that drama was revealed and neatly cleaned up in a span of fifteen minutes of watching rai clumsily run through London, pretending to look worried and scared. some good writing and note-worthy lines. i liked the mother's, father's, jaya's and nerd-sister's performances. henderson looked like he was drowning in a bad plot..which he probably was. terrible songs! Expand
  21. jeanlouisdep.
    Mar 31, 2005
    Fun with a happy end. sweet and uncomplicated.
  22. RajeshB.
    Mar 5, 2005
    A Must see. Get a glimplse and taste of India by watching this movie. Bright colors and lively. Lovely plot. Solid music.
  23. PreetyS.
    Mar 5, 2005
    I think this movie was just marvelous. I
  24. TaylorC.
    Apr 16, 2005
    Worst movie i have ever seen. i don't know where to start. the plot is horrid. the acting is insanely bad. stupid stupid stupid! the songs are completely random. BAAAAH.
  25. DarrenS.
    Apr 24, 2005
    This was an entertaing movie. How many times do you want to see an anemic sterile version of 19th Century literarture. Gurinder Chada has brought the culturally relevant Indian society that closely resembles that of the Victorians, and in so doing created a hybrid of colour and amusement. As for the acting, Aishwarya Rai is firey as the headstrong Lalita, and does her character justice.
  26. SashaT.
    Jul 21, 2005
    Bride and Prejudice was a very silly movie. The acting in it was very half-assed, yet its star, Aishwarya Rai shone through the whole film. I was greatly pleased by the dancing and singing coming out of nowhere. This film is much better than any terrible Hollywood musical (see: Chicago) Bollywood is truly spectacular.
  27. TaraS
    Aug 24, 2005
    The first half hour was almost intolerable, but after that I found it surprisingly hilarious and cute. I especially loved the random gospel choir singing on the beach, risers and all.
  28. JaspreetS.
    Feb 10, 2006
    Horrible movie to say the least. The acting is so over the top, and all the musical numbers are forced in there. Pure waste of Aishwriya and Naveen Andrews.
  29. LizP.
    Sep 15, 2006
    Very fun. Wonderfully colorful, catchy songs and goofy dancing, some hysterically funny bits, a great way to bring P&P to today and have it still make sense. Ok, it's a bit clumsy sometimes, but so what? Have a sense of humor.
  30. sfatehifar
    Dec 27, 2005
    Really liked it :)
  31. sobi
    Feb 14, 2005
    Its a bomb beautifully designed romantic, musical n comedy :)
  32. AmishaV.
    Feb 17, 2005
    It was a very good film i love this film it was to good!!
  33. RachelW
    Feb 18, 2005
    I think that Bride and Prejudice has changed the way we think of India. That movie has got to be the best one i have seen in a long time. It was funny and very entertaining. And may i add the very pretty ladies in it. I was over whelmed by the outstanding movie :)
  34. WarrenP.
    Feb 26, 2005
    The begining may have been a little too corny with that first dance and song routine but the "corniness" was erased by rest of the dance/songs that followed.I have to say I totally loved the movie , its so different than the typical American movies .The totally exotic scenes and people in the shots were outstanding and so pleasing to the eyes! If you are tired of the same The begining may have been a little too corny with that first dance and song routine but the "corniness" was erased by rest of the dance/songs that followed.I have to say I totally loved the movie , its so different than the typical American movies .The totally exotic scenes and people in the shots were outstanding and so pleasing to the eyes! If you are tired of the same action/violent/bluntly foul comedy movies and you want to experience something totally pleasant and different...I say do not sit around..Leave your home ....take your kids to the nearest movie theater and yes its a great date movie! ( this was my first ever Indian movie and I am dying to see more ) Oh by the way Aiswarya is trully the most beautiful woman on earth, I read somewhere that there are almost 17000 websites dedicated online for her from her fans! wow! Expand
  35. JohannaB.
    Feb 26, 2005
    I laughed through the whole movie - very entertaining in a light, fluffy kind of way. Espec if you don't compare it to Jane Austen's original.
  36. AmitaB.
    Feb 27, 2005
    Bride and Prejudice has a great take on the "indian" version of Jane Austen's novel. What most people (including critics) don't seem to understand is that its intent was for an Indian audience or those who are well versed with Indian culture and/or movies. It's a definite 10 in my opinion and hilarious.
  37. KeithH.
    Mar 19, 2005
    It was really bad. I honestly could not stay until the end. The only enjoyable thing about it was the colorful clothing.
  38. nishacan'ttell
    Apr 16, 2005
    This movie is so stupid. I wish people would stop basing an actress on her beauty rather than her performance. Alot of the actress and actors who win awards in hollywood do so because they can act. The bollywood fans don't care about an actors performance...it comes only second to their looks. And by the way....I'd like to see dark skin indian actresses represented more. A This movie is so stupid. I wish people would stop basing an actress on her beauty rather than her performance. Alot of the actress and actors who win awards in hollywood do so because they can act. The bollywood fans don't care about an actors performance...it comes only second to their looks. And by the way....I'd like to see dark skin indian actresses represented more. A majority of Indians are brown last time I checked. About this movie.....it was horrid. I dont know what the hell this director was thinking. It doesnt represent a real Indian family whatsover. Last time I remembered.....anytime an Indian girl falls in love with someone out of her race..her father would give her a good beating...or threaten to kill her........they should put that in the movie. It wasn't realistic at all. Expand
  39. MarkB.
    Apr 21, 2005
    Apparently the Jane Austen movie boom of about ten years ago still has a little spark left (much to the consternation of husbands and boyfriends who keep getting dragged by their mates to see or rent Sense and Sensibility) so, hey, if Amy Heckerling could transform Emma into a thoroughly delightful modern-day high school flick, why SHOULDN'T Gurinder Chadha reinterpret Pride and Apparently the Jane Austen movie boom of about ten years ago still has a little spark left (much to the consternation of husbands and boyfriends who keep getting dragged by their mates to see or rent Sense and Sensibility) so, hey, if Amy Heckerling could transform Emma into a thoroughly delightful modern-day high school flick, why SHOULDN'T Gurinder Chadha reinterpret Pride and Prejudice as a big, splashy Bollywood musical? The results are colorful, to be sure, and certainly not boring, but mixed at best: the song-and-dance numbers, with a couple of exceptions such as the very funny "No Life Without Wife", begin to look and sound alike after awhile. (The entire-cast finale of this one, in fact, reminded me of the entire-cast finale of From Justin to Kelly. Not a great sign!) The marriageable Indian sisters, led by Aishwarya Rai, are pleasant and work well together, but their casting is problematic on a different level: Chadha makes the interesting point in the dialogue that Westerners who visit India aren't really interested in seeing the "real" India, but in casting conventionally pretty-to-Western-eyes actresses who aren't exotic-looking at all, but resemble dark-haired American beauties with great tans, she undercuts her own argument. Martin Henderson, as the Westerner that Rai not too surprisingly hates at first sight, is hopelessly bland and wooden; if he hadn't previously starred in Torque, I would've suspected that he earned extra spending money as Paul Walker's stand-in in the Fast and the Furious movies. The single best reason to see this movie is to thoroughly treasure the performance of Nitin Ganatra as Mr. Kohli, an initially buffoonish, overly Americanized native who returns home to find a wife. He may be vulgar, materialistic, and talk with his mouth full, but Ganatra makes him so cheerful, endearing and downright charming in spite of it all that I was thrilled and thankful that he's not tossed outright on the Ralph Bellamy reject pile. Otherwise, B & P seems aggressively determined to do for Bollywood epics what Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West did for spaghetti westerns and Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon did for medieval martial-arts dramas: namely, not only be the definitive genre example, but the definitive WESTERNIZED genre example. The trouble with Chadha's attempt is that, unlike Leone's and Lee's, the effort and strain are all too obvious. Now that spring is here, a baseball analogy seems in order: while Chadha's previous multicultural charmers What's Cooking and Bend It Like Beckham were solid triple-baggers, Bride and Prejudice swings too hard...and misses. Collapse
  40. Aleena
    Apr 21, 2005
    I really enjoyed this movie becasue it was a very pure an simple love story. WhileI understand people's critisms on how some of the events seem impropable nevertheless the movie was fun and quirky. I thought Ash looked really lovely. And after seeing this movie I love Martin Henderson and cant imagine anyone else having played the role of Will Darcy.
  41. RobertG.
    Jun 19, 2005
    The movie was excellent. I love to see movies where there isn't violence, profanity, tasteless sexuality, drugs, etc. I think most Americans would not like this movie because there is no violence, profanity etc. This just shows how shallow we are. This movie actually had taste and a story line. I loved the dancing, music, romance etc. Also, some people are trying to analyze the The movie was excellent. I love to see movies where there isn't violence, profanity, tasteless sexuality, drugs, etc. I think most Americans would not like this movie because there is no violence, profanity etc. This just shows how shallow we are. This movie actually had taste and a story line. I loved the dancing, music, romance etc. Also, some people are trying to analyze the movie, its just an entertaining fun love story. Expand
    Jul 16, 2005
    A fun, harmless, lightweight musical.
  43. RayC.
    Jul 18, 2005
    The movie may have it flaws: like the scene in the Mexican restaurant... But I was overwhelmed by the colors and the sheer perkiness of it all. I find myself humming along songs I had never heard before a couple of days later. And that doesn't happen often. A full nine, not because my brain thinks it is right, but because of the joy this movie has braught me.
  44. JuliaB.l
    Feb 24, 2006
    very sweet and endearing. for the most part, the musical numbers had a delightful spontaneity.
  45. RosanaS.
    Dec 23, 2005
    It was the best movie ever! I love it, love it, love it! I think this is the best movie i have ever seen! I love it!!!
  46. Sep 20, 2010
    i love this movie a lotttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.
    aishwarya rai acted beautifully..songs r amazing
    i watch it again n again..
    love aish forever!she is the best!!
  47. Jan 8, 2011
    Poor movie. Not so good mix between Jane Austen and Bollywood.

1. Aside from the singing and dancing, it is the color and pageantry of India as filtered through the work of cinematographer Santosh Sivan that captivates us.
  2. Works because of its heedless, heart-on-its-sleeve spirit.
  3. Here's yet another take on "Pride and Prejudice,"...but all spiced up as colorfully as a dish of curry.