8.4

1. TimM.
    Oct 27, 2005
    If you like ballet or have any interest in the artistic collaboration that was fostered by the Ballets Russes projects, then this film is a gold mine. Of course if you're like critic Bob Westal, don't bother. I don't think a documentary that can appeal to those with no initial interest in a subject can end up digging as deeply into the topic as the devotees would like. If you like ballet or have any interest in the artistic collaboration that was fostered by the Ballets Russes projects, then this film is a gold mine. Of course if you're like critic Bob Westal, don't bother. I don't think a documentary that can appeal to those with no initial interest in a subject can end up digging as deeply into the topic as the devotees would like. Maybe there's a place for lighter-weight, introductory documentaries, but with the depth of fascinating details available to tell in *this* story, to do anything less than cover it in depth strikes me as utterly inadequate. Expand
  2. Burke
    Nov 23, 2005
    I suprised myself by sobbing at the end of this wonderful Doc. The artisits are full of passion for the work both then and now.
  3. JayW.
    Dec 4, 2005
    A conventional, sweetly-done and utterly predictable tear-jerker. Deeply flawed, in my apparently singular opinion, by a near-complete failure to place itself in historical context. After all, there was a war on, the gravest calamity to befall modern Europe, with tens of millions of Soviet citizens murdered, and not one of the performers having anything to say about anything but their A conventional, sweetly-done and utterly predictable tear-jerker. Deeply flawed, in my apparently singular opinion, by a near-complete failure to place itself in historical context. After all, there was a war on, the gravest calamity to befall modern Europe, with tens of millions of Soviet citizens murdered, and not one of the performers having anything to say about anything but their precious careers. Perhaps the cutting room floor had more, but we'll never know. Expand
  4. PeterS.
    Jan 5, 2006
    Bob Westal of Film Threat calls this a "conventional PBS style videooc." Well, it's structure is conventional, but the interplay of contemporary interviews with historical dance footage, carefully (yes!) choreographed with appropriate ballet music is a brilliant piece of edfiting and rivets one's attention. People who think they might like dance should see this, because then Bob Westal of Film Threat calls this a "conventional PBS style videooc." Well, it's structure is conventional, but the interplay of contemporary interviews with historical dance footage, carefully (yes!) choreographed with appropriate ballet music is a brilliant piece of edfiting and rivets one's attention. People who think they might like dance should see this, because then they'll know that they do. Mea Culpa: Okay, I know the directors, but I'd say this even if I didn't. Expand
  5. alim.
    Jan 8, 2006
    The best this year.
  6. PhoebeW.
    Jan 26, 2006
    Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Thanks to all who had the vision and expertise to research and produce this fabulous documentary. I learnedso much this evening about the ballet artform/genesis/history and baby ballerinas. Thank you and I can't wait to own my very own copy (and a few for gifts).
  7. DuaneT.
    Feb 9, 2006
    As inspired as it gets. A ballet movie for people who don't even like ballet. You can't help but walk out dancing, even if it's only inside and you'll wake up dancing the next day.
  8. LindaM.
    Feb 16, 2006
    What a Joy! I wished that it would go on forever. A fabulous look in to the origins of 20th century ballet. How wonderful to see the archival footage of those fabulous ageing dancers. To see them then and now. There bodies old now, but a spirit that is still young and full of life and joy of dance. How wonderful to have a look into what a dancer's life was like when dance itself What a Joy! I wished that it would go on forever. A fabulous look in to the origins of 20th century ballet. How wonderful to see the archival footage of those fabulous ageing dancers. To see them then and now. There bodies old now, but a spirit that is still young and full of life and joy of dance. How wonderful to have a look into what a dancer's life was like when dance itself began to change and evolve. Many of these wonderful people have passed away since this film was released. If this film was never made, so much of what they had to say would be lost to us forever. I can't wait to own the DVD! Expand
  9. NancyS.
    Jun 11, 2006
    brilliant, divine characters- honest, raw, poignant- ageing bodies,the mask of ageing- inside young vital passionate. Inspiring- this is how life should be lived- engaged, alive. The film carefully constructed and very emotional- pulling out all the stops.
  10. PaulD.
    Nov 3, 2006
    Excellent documentary that acts as a valentine to a bygone age. The dance footage is marvelous, and made me want to see extended versions of some of the performances. Dancing must be good for your health and spirit, since many of the Ballet Russes' dancers worked well into their 80's and even 90's. Inspirational and entertaining at the same time.

1. Reviewed by: Bob Westal
    This very conventional PBS style videodoc should not be viewed before operating heavy machinery. However, there's plenty to fascinate devotees of the dance.
  2. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    Enormously absorbing.
    Geller and Goldfine have assembled a vital historical document, covering a cultural era now mostly lost, corrupted imperceptibly but permanently when fledgling ballerinas started dreaming about Broadway and Hollywood instead of Swan Lake.