9.4

1. MadsT.
    May 5, 2004
    Perfection... It touches you in a way you'll newer dreamt could be done. An almost chocking experience!
  2. RichardW.
    Feb 1, 2005
    A sunning visual narrative that takes the breath away. It encapulates the human condition in a way i've seldom seen in film. A true masterpeice that deserves greater recognition than it recieves. Truly, truly stunning!
  3. ChadS.
    Feb 19, 2003
    What I want to know is how clips from this great film made its way into a commercial for Nissan? That made me sick. The photography looks incredible on my Vega, so I imagine it must be mind-blowing to see this film in its 70-mm glory. I've only seen one such film in this format and that was Ron Howard's "Far and Away". To view "Baraka" as a long-format music video would do Ron What I want to know is how clips from this great film made its way into a commercial for Nissan? That made me sick. The photography looks incredible on my Vega, so I imagine it must be mind-blowing to see this film in its 70-mm glory. I've only seen one such film in this format and that was Ron Howard's "Far and Away". To view "Baraka" as a long-format music video would do Ron Fricke and his collaborators an injustice. There's a story. It's the story of life on this planet. Awards are pretty meaningless but it would've been nice if this film was recognized by the Academy. "Baraka" is no better or worse than the Reggio pictures. What gives "Baraka" the ever slightest nod over "Koyaanquatsi" and its two sequels is the soundtrack. It's a stunner. In particular, the music that accompanies the segment in Italy. Expand
  4. JethroG.
    May 8, 2003
    Stunning, awesome, meditative, sublime, jarring, culturally relativistic, sobering, inspiring, catalyst for action, reverent, masterful, visually intense, like fractals, a metaphor for humanity, binary oppositions juxtaposed, contrasted, complementary.
  5. CherN
    Jan 25, 2009
    A beautiful film. Couldn't stop watching. It gets your attention at once. Worth the time.
  6. Jovi
    Feb 19, 2003
    A visual expolration of humanity and the world around us. This documentary is amazingly beautiful and the score fits it like a glove. A must see in the big screen - anything else would be a waste of an experience.
  7. CemilG.
    Apr 28, 2003
    "We come face to face with dark side of the dark side of cosmos" says my wife. As for me,Baraka is one of the few films which prove that cinema is an art form.
  8. MustafaB.
    May 28, 2003
    It was a beautiful picture of the heart ... A deep gaze into the nothingness and the beauty it has. Still thinking of it. It is hard to forget that scene, stars, sky, everything, and everything, has been spinning ... What a pleasure it was .... I am grateful to those who brought the fragrance of life to our soul.
  9. Ezekiel
    Feb 12, 2003
    A perfectly beautiful visual experience. It flows much like a symphony where you can see the notes. It is hard to call a movie in that it lacks any elements of plot, character, etc. I highly recommend it, but make sure you are in an energetic mood. Everybody I know that has seen it when they were tired has fallen asleep (once again, kinda like a symphony :)
  10. YoonC.
    Sep 14, 2003
    At its worst, it's either an empty travelogue with pretty but hollow images or preachy new age film about modern man's imbalance in the cosmic order. At its best, it's a sweeping and comprehensive celebration of human spiritual/artistic achievement, the timelessness of the human soul, and possibility of the everlasting and the transient uniting to create a sense of harmony At its worst, it's either an empty travelogue with pretty but hollow images or preachy new age film about modern man's imbalance in the cosmic order. At its best, it's a sweeping and comprehensive celebration of human spiritual/artistic achievement, the timelessness of the human soul, and possibility of the everlasting and the transient uniting to create a sense of harmony between man and nature. Expand
  11. Jan 23, 2015
    A film without words, "Baraka" is possibly the most stunning visual feast ever and shows mankind's ongoing destruction of the planet. Watch it and wonder about the possibilities remaining.
  12. Nov 23, 2014
    My review is simple..if you are looking for a blockbuster, this is not it. but i can safely say that this is possibly the best piece of cinematic art I have ever seen!!!!!!
    absolutely astounding!
    additionally, it is not for the faint hearted, it is beautiful and brutal.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Suzan Ayscough
    Words can't do justice to the visual masterpiece Baraka.
  2. Reviewed by: David Bartholomew
    A paralyzingly beautiful documentary with a global vision: an odyssey through landscape and time, which is an attempt to capture the essence of life.