8.5

1. Mar 4, 2011
    I have not watched all of the Batman movies, so I can't really compare this triumph to the other films. I will say this: I was only able to stomach about 15 minutes of Batman Forever (the Schwarzenegger one) so... I guess it's safe to say that this one kicked the other's hind quarters... pretty hard if I may add. The film is dark, edgy and well acted. The plot is good (not groundbreaking, but it really holds your attention). You will never be bored... or annoyed, like in Batman Forever. The best performances come from the effortless class of Michael Caine as Alfred, Cillian Murphy as the cold Dr. Crane and Liam Neeson as the main villain, Henri Ducard. Expand
  2. Nov 10, 2011
    What Christopher Nolan's "Batman Begins" offers to the audience is not amazing action or impressive dialogue. His translation of the 'new' Batman provides both.
  3. Apr 16, 2011
    While making Batman inhabit a believable world and a respectable psychological landscape is a remarkable feat in itself, Nolan's crowning achievement was to make us forget the earlier franchise that started badly and plummeted downwards from there.
  4. Aug 28, 2011
    Despite being just a little confusing in some instances, "Batman Begins," is a much better Batman movie than the older ones, and is only topped by its superior sequel "The Dark Knight" (both are also way better than Nolan's Inception, which unfortunately turned out to be complete garbage).
  5. Aug 22, 2012
    Batman Begins is a great film, but not fantastic. The acting is very good, the musical score is good and the villains in Ras Al Ghul and Scarecrow are both well thought out and portrayed well throughout the film. The main problem with the film is that it starts very slowly, but it does ultimately build up to something quite exciting and tense. But something else is missing from the film, which could have made it truly the classic film it should be, and I can't quite put my finger what that is. Expand
  6. Mar 17, 2011
    Batman Begins was just the tip of the ice berg for Christopher Nolan. A prelude, if you will. But what a HELL-OF-A prelude! Christian Bale is a very enticing Bruce Wayne/Batman, Gary Oldman a very interesting Commissioner Gordon, and an intriguingly novice first villain brought to us by Liam Neeson. And of course the always reliable Cain and Freeman are terrific in their roles. But the ultimate star prize goes to Cillian Murphy for stealing every single scene he's in. What a great film! Expand
  7. Nov 9, 2012
    Finally. This is the Batman film I've been waiting for. It's emotionally gripping, visually striking, and a fantastic achievement in film. Batman Begins is one of the best films of the year.
  8. Jan 21, 2011
    If you are trying to reboot a franchise, use this as an example. Get some one who isn't flashy as lead, a grade-A badass for your villain and nice old brit for your second protagonist. Oh, and also get a good director and screen writer
  9. Jan 3, 2012
    Batman Begins cruises past the cheesiness and brings emotion and a darkness to the epic Batman story. But the movie does feature a weak performance from Katie Holmes and it can lag a bit, but it is packed full of action it is way too entertaining to hate. I give this movie 77%.
  10. Apr 26, 2013
    One of the most fantastic parts of Batman Begins is how complex the film is. Nolan is not primarily concerned on making a entertaining comic book pic, but rather on making a intriguing art-house character drama. The number of deep, and thought provoking themes brought up in the movie is something to be hold, considering how the campy Adam West version introduced many people to the character
  11. Jun 22, 2011
    A cinematic masterpiece. Batman Begins took the big risk taker, but the most rewarding one: bringing a comic book hero well known such as Batman and bringing him to a more realistic level. The result is a thrilling, dazzling, emotional journey full of darkness, heart, entertainment, and magic. Batman Begins is a masterpiece, with a sequel that is just as good. Batman Begins is a must see!
  12. Jul 27, 2011
    After the disaster known as "Batman and Robin", I was worried this movie would tank. But nope. Batman has made one heck of a comeback. Poor Fantastic Four. This movie is believable and stays true to the comics. Best movie of the year. I don't want a reboot. Nolan's franchise is the best Batman franchise ever.
  13. May 27, 2012
    This was the start of a great realization of Batman and his world. The performances are sheer gold. It takes a somewhat darker tone compared to older Batman movies, a risk that payed off.
  14. Apr 7, 2013
    I honestly did not think much of this movie. While I did like Nolan's approach, I also felt it was just another origin story. A bland one at that. The Villains are just very flat and Liam Neeson's Ra's al Ghul is really only an evil version of Qui-Gon Jinn from the Phantom menace. Cillian Murphy does a decent enough job as a young Scarecrow, but the writing really does very little for such an iconic Batman villain.

Overall:

Batman Begins may serve as a "realistic" Batman origin story, but that for me takes something away from the character. An OK movie that is well made, but for me, fails to capture the essence of the comics.
  15. Jul 10, 2013
    The beginning of Batman winds up the right story and main idea of how Bruce Wayne became Batman. But the boring drama scenes and all the good action at the end did not sum up enough to be a very good movie.
  16. Nov 12, 2010
    Without a doubt, the best Batman movie ever made. I'm a huge fan of Keaton and the Burton films, but I simple cannot deny how perfect this film was. Batman Begins trumps The Dark Knight in every way imaginable.
  17. Oct 9, 2010
    Not quite up to The Dark Knight, in my opinion but still a good achievement for Nolan. The days of the dark and adult Batman were fully realised in this first adaptation by Nolan. Despite its darker element this move compared with its sequel is much more comic book orientated. But don't be put off by this, it is full of universal meanings and imagery that we can all relate to.
  18. Sep 17, 2010
    Watched this again & it is a great film.
    Superb performances from a mainly British cast & Cillian Murphy is fantastic as Dr. Crane/Scarecrow.
    Some of the driving bits are a bit OTT but the story flows well & a great way to end ready for the next installment.
  19. Aug 21, 2010
    the movie had fast screenplay. there were some boring scenes. the second half picks momentum. the climax was good.
    story was imaginary. but nice execution. the thugs were upto the mark but not as great as joker. overall the movie is a good flick
  20. Dec 16, 2010
    This is the first true batman movie from the comics; and none of this tim burton/ george clooney zany nonsense that isn't really batman: Criminals are supposed to fear him not laugh at him. Also loved the inclusion of some of the more inconspicuos villans too (scarecrow and raz al ghul)
  21. Sep 23, 2010
    Batman begins is not the superhero movie at all. Quite anomalous and deviated from the original Tim Burton 'Batman' style, Batman in Batman begins is the person, not a hero anymore.
  22. Oct 18, 2010
    A bold and stunning achievment from Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale who triumph where many have failed; a Batman film where Batman is the most interesting character on screen. It's a story which is a little slow but never boring and Bruce Wayne's decision to don a costume and become Batman is believable. Outstandingly cast with great performances from Liam Neeson, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman, however it is Christian Bale who thrives above the rest. Nolan is perhaps a little too shaky with the action but his handling of the characters and drama is perfect. Arguably the best comic book film of all time. Expand
  23. Jan 16, 2011
    I think this movie deserved more than a 70 but no more than a 90. If you're someone who is used to the Tim Burton style batmans like me, you know it had to take a lot of willpower to accept this Batman movie as one of the «greats». The tumbler was really hard to get used to and Alfred made me yak. Although I did like the Scarecrow.
  24. Nov 19, 2011
    Pretty good for the most part. I think Scarecrow was a poor choice of a villian, Although it worked well plot wise - He just wasnt that good. Other then that it was a good film, Probably the best Batman film (yes even better then The Dark Knight).
  25. Jul 29, 2012
    Batman Begins is the better Batman movie, but The Dark Knight is the better movie. That's my honest condensed opinion, I own both movies on blu ray and recommend them to just about anyone.
  26. Feb 12, 2011
    This movie is one of the best Batman movies out there, it's good because it's surprisingly really realistic but still has it's classic comic book logic, the acting was great, as was the story, it's also darker than previous movies so the people who were upset with Batman and Robins lighter take on Batman, it's a great movie from beginning to end and a must see for Batman fans.
  27. Jul 18, 2012
    Batman Begins is the perfect start for Christopher Nolan's more cerebral take on the DC legend. It balances a more realistic approach, while still maintaining enough of a comic book sensibility to remain true to it's roots. The movie is well written and acted, with tons of memorable scenes. Although the fisticuffs never quite measure up to the dialogue, Batman Begins is actually a bit more exciting in the action department than it's much-lauded sequel The Dark Knight. Although it doesn't quite match it's aforementioned successor in overall quality, it's still a great reboot and a great film. Expand
  28. Oct 13, 2011
    The second best superhero movie of all time(so far) Because of this film i am a batman fan. Iim batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  29. Jan 8, 2011
    It's just a Batman movie.
  30. Feb 21, 2011
    Fantastic. Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer really nailed this one. You couldn't get a better Batman origin story if you asked Frank Miller to write it. (I'm looking at you, Batman: Year One. I love that graphic novel, but this film borrows from it, while incorporating other Batman characters and improving upon it.)
  31. Feb 28, 2011
    Batmans Begins is a successful reboot to The Dark Knight franchise. Christian Bale fairs well as his first outing as Batman, even though he might appear wooden at times. The supporting cast is strong with the likes of Liam Neeson, Michael Caine and Katie Holmes. Although the story not necessarily remain true to comics, it still manages to be emotionally gripping thanks to the pacing and character development. The action is beautifully scripted, with some amazing set pieces. However, all of this is just a filler for, in my opinion, one of the greatest endings of all time. Expand
  32. Jul 3, 2012
    This is finally the Batman movie any fan has been waiting for. Smartly written and filmed. Origin of Batman was handled perfectly. Not a preachy "hero" origin. Straight forward and brutally simple. Making these characters believable in a real world setting was an amazing feat.
  33. Jul 19, 2011
    The Batman series regenerates after drifting into ridiculousness and self-parody. Begins is a dark, rough movie that addresses the core reasons for Bruce's transformation into Batman. The movie takes a more realistic vision of Gotham, as a crime ridden city begging for a hero. Bale makes a convincing Batman, with Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine giving strong dependable performances. The gadgets do not eclipse the story, which is kept center stage at all times. Expand
  34. Oct 29, 2012
    Christopher Nolan effectively grounded his Batman universe from the very start, making the titular Caped Crusader compelling for a new generation, but never sacrificed the fun factor that only superhero films allow for to achieve it. People talk about Nolan's much darker Batman, but really it's no more dark that Tim Burton's vision from two decades ago. What we're really seeing is the difference between styles of comic-to-film adaptations - contemporary and (relatively) realistic, or stylised and fantastical. For every fan who loves Nolan's straight-faced treatment of the source material and plausible gadgets, you've got someone else who is attracted to Burton's gothic noir designs for Gotham City. Batman Begins gives us a entertainingly diverse cast of characters, all tweaked in some way from their comic counterparts to fit the origin story - a well-meaning but rough-around-the-edges Bruce Wayne (a sincere Christian Bale), a stern mentor with questionable morals (Liam Neeson) a supportive, grounded surrogate father (Michael Caine), an idealistic good-cop (Gary Oldman), a slimy gangster (Tom Wilkinson) and an appropriately creepy costumed antagonist in The Scarecrow (Cillian Murphy). Nolan and David S. Goyer completely strip back Batman to its core elements and themes, which allows for great character moments and emotion aplenty in addition to all the high-concept heroics. As well-executed as the action is, it's the touching early scenes of young Bruce coming to terms with his parents' deaths and his imposing family legacy that are the most memorable, accompanied by James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer's score which morphs from dramatic and booming to low-key and tear-inducing. Begins also gratifyingly doesn't fall into the traps that the sequels do - the plot is relatively direct, with flashbacks adding colour to the story and characters rather than an over-reliance on plot twists and melodrama. Batman Begins transcends genre - it's a great superhero film, a great coming-of-age film, a great road movie, and a great thematically-heavy character piece. I'll admit that I love Tim Burton's Batman, but I also love Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins. They're both rewarding for different reasons, and I find it exceedingly difficult to rank one above the other. Expand
  35. May 29, 2012
    I have watched all of the Batman movies till date so I can say that it is one of the best and not so boring like the other movies.Christopher Nolan's every movie is just worth watching and his selection of Christian bale as Batman is awesome.I recommend you watch the movie to have an expierience of your own
  36. Mar 12, 2013
    Batman Begins has convincing characters, a interesting plot, dark ambient and a good soundtrack. It is a successful reboot of on of the most famous superheroes.
  37. Jun 17, 2011
    Maybe it is because I watched it after The Dark Knight, but I felt that Batman Begins functioned more as a setup for the Dark Knight then a did a film in it's own right. But, that is not saying that it is bad. It is still a fantastically acted, directed, and scored film, just like all of Nolan's other work. Besides the fact that it felt like a very well made setup, my main problem with the film is The Scarecrow. It almost feels like they sort of brush over him, and then just defeat him rather quickly. However, that is not enough to change my opinion of this film that although feeling like a setup, is still great. Expand
  38. Oct 5, 2012
    Nolan made another great film in Batman Begins and it completely changed the super hero genre and it also began the best trilogy of all time. So much to analyse so much to entertain and so many performances to savour.
  39. Sep 17, 2011
    This film is pretty darn awesome. The cast are perfect (except Katie Holmes, she was epically miscast) the tone really did wonders for the plot and direction of this movie and it makes what could have been hopelessly campy stuff and turned into something dark and brooding.
  40. Oct 29, 2011
    Batman Begins is a movie that tells the very beginning of everything and that the viewer does not take his eyes off the film and some of the actors work very well, however some parts of the film are greatly exaggerated and that's a part that could be withdrawn without loss of the sense of the film
  41. Aug 21, 2012
    Considering this was directed by Christopher Nolan, I thought this was going to be good. This should start of the trilogy in a good way, I thought. Then I watched it and thought, damn, this is stupid. The dialogue is mostly inane and the film blows itself into epic proportions of action and fighting nearly halfway through. The villain is ridiculous and looks like he was meant to scare kids than be properly chilling to older people. The back story develops into this? Even Christian Bale and Liam Neeson were only mildly entertaining. Expand
  42. Jan 16, 2012
    I am not comparing this one to the other batman films, but I have to say that this one kick ass! Batman is not a super **** unbeatable hero here, he is a human who searches the ways of fighting and mind masteries. The game makes you think that the story is actually possible. I just loved it. **** awesome movie!
  43. Oct 31, 2011
    At first I had fearful reservations about this one. I loved Tim Burton's Batman - 12 years old when it came out I was the perfect age for it and I also enjoyed Batman Returns. The franchise went so wrong under Joel Schumacher that I wasn't sure I wanted it resurrected. Not least because Batman was one of the few comics I read and enjoyed as a kid and was always my favorite superhero. However, I am pleased to report I could not have been more wrong about how great Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins is. This is better than Burton. The story is as good an origin story as you'll find - covering all the major (true-to-the-comic) events, and not wasting ages on them. We see Wayne's all-important training period (previously ignored), and his connection to the Tibetan shadow-ninja clan led by Ra's Al Ghul. We see Bruce come up with ideas for his symbol, his costume, his gadgets, his car, his cave - IT ALL FITS SO PERFECTLY. The fights are great, the Bat-gadgets all there, the car is amazing, the plot is thorough and exciting, Gotham looks great, Batman really is frightening & menacing (and lethal!).. And the scenes with the bats themselves FINALLY get across the idea of how scary they can be. Overall, I'd have to label Batman Begins 'The best prequel movie ever - it's a well written, authoritatively directed, impeccably acted (especially by Bale's powerhouse lead performance and Cillian Murphy's sickly menacing Scarecrow) and very high quality production. Indeed, most other summer blockbusters could learn a thing or two from Batman Begins. If the Batman franchise died under it's own gaudiness years ago, let us rejoice this glorious rebirth - Batman truly does begin here. Expand
  44. Jul 19, 2012
    Batman begins is a great beginning for an amazing series. Director Nolan has focused on things that are the most important and left me amazed in the end. As a person who does not follow the comics or any other form of batman, I loved it. Surely this is the 2nd best Super Hero Fiction movie ever after The Dark Knight. I love the way how Nolan forms the story of young Bruce to Batman. Of all the characters in the movie Liam Neeson was my favorite. He has played Ra's Al Gul (leader of League of Shadows) very well. Expand
  45. Jun 9, 2012
    Batman Begins is the first of the Batman trilogy as created by Chris Nolan. It's the first film in Batman history that investigates the psyche behind the Bat himself. It's a great preview for things to come but at this juncture, the film has a jarring tonal shift right in the middle. Started of as a psychological study, before succumbing to the usual super hero blockbuster template. Of course, all this exposition pays off in its next installment, The Dark Knight, but fans might need to take a look at this one again, as The Dark Knight Rises essentially concludes the story thread stared in this one. Expand
  46. Jun 2, 2012
    A thoroughly enjoyable reboot to the Batman franchise. This injection of pace, thematic threads, emphasis on the story and the characters was what the franchise needed. Watching Batman evolve from the naive, young Bruce Wayne into the fearsome vigilante we all love was a real joy. A very entertaining film that establishes and allows the audience to grow attached to the characters, when they will be put to the test in its sequel. Expand
  47. Feb 29, 2012
    An absolute tweak of Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher's films and its more frenetic and villainous than other superhero-adaptations. Christian Bale is the best Batman yet!
  48. Nov 28, 2011
    Incredibly acted by Christian Bale. Dark, mysterious, and action packed. It deserves better reviews than the Dark Knight, which I gave a 7/10. Oh, yeah, and Liam Neeson rocked it up as the main villian. Watch this with your kids!
  49. Dec 5, 2011
    It was pretty good. Solid acting by a solid cast, Christian Bale is a good Batman. Nolen does a great job as a director and gives us a new look for a classic franchise. I do not like Scarecrow as a villian but Murphy played his perfectly, Neeson was great as well.
  50. Dec 23, 2011
    There are two things all superhero movies need: a superhero and a villain. Batman Begins has both, but the appearances of the villain are far too brief and truly serves as only a path to a greater conflict rather than serving as the creator of conflict. But once that is forgiven, Batman Begins is truly a great superhero film that sheds the traditional cliches and leaves the viewer in wonderment of what is to come next. Great visual effects, great acting, and a great story line truly make this an excellent piece of cinema, albeit with an almost invisible villain, it can not be called a classic. Expand
  51. Feb 25, 2013
    In my opinion, Batman Begins is the single greatest superhero movie of all-time. It deals more with the story of Bruce Wayne and how he deals with his internal struggles before becoming Batman. The cinematography is also incredible as is the acting and action sequences. To be completely honest, there's nothing bad about the movie and even people who aren't fans of superhero films would likely enjoy it. Expand
  52. May 9, 2012
    Scarecrow is absolutely the perfect villain for this movie, instead of jumping in headfirst with the Joker. Cillian Murphy pulls it off surprisingly well also. This is the batman movie I was dreaming about after watching the ridiculous 90's batman films. I bow down to you Christopher Nolan.
  53. Apr 1, 2013
    The re-imagining of Batman by Nolan sort of re-booted Superhero films as we know it. Well directed and written, Bale is a great Batman as well. It's a pretty enjoyable movie.
  54. May 22, 2012
    Batman begins is an awesome action movie, it's got exciting action, a great dialogue/script, a very good and interesting story-line and good acting by just about everyone in it. I haven't seen any other batman movies, but batman begins seems like it's probably better, it's just such a great film! If you haven't already seen it, I recommend watching it, it's a really good film, seriously, it's one of the best super hero films, but one thing is even better: The dark knight, check out my thoughts of it on my review! Expand
  55. May 4, 2012
    Over the past several decades we have seen Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher present their own versions of Batman, but Christopher Nolan has beaten them both with his epic version of the DC Comic superhero
  56. Aug 19, 2012
    Nolan's take on the Batman character places a heavy emphasis on character development and realism, something which was sorely needed after the mid-90's Batman & Robin fiasco. While not the best movie, it laid the groundwork for a wonderful trilogy which, when taken as a whole, is the modern pantheon of superhero cinema.
  57. Jun 3, 2012
    After the success of The Dark Knight people often forget how good Batman Begins was. This film brilliantly kicks off the trilogy and you've got to applaud Christopher Nolan for taking the slightly silly concept of Batman and turning it into a dark, believable and very realistic story. The whole origin story of Batman is nailed brilliantly here and the plot from then on is very gripping. We see a great Balance between the character of Bruce Nolan and the character of Batman and Christian Bale plays these roles very well as well as the rest of the cast, everyone seems to play their parts perfectly. The writing and direction are superb and fit the dark and realistic tone of the film and overall, it's just a brilliant film. My only problems with it are that it does have a few slow and boring moments and also the main villains don't really get much time to shine, but even so these problems seem petty compared to everything this film gets right. Expand
  58. Jul 20, 2012
    Batman Begins is brilliant. This is one of the superhero movies that comic book nerds, casual viewers, and critics will love. From beginning to end, the story is brilliant and doesn't seem to linger on at all. The acting is superb and everything is built up for its amazing sequel, "The Dark Knight."
  59. Mar 8, 2014
    An excellent start to the trilogy. It has impressive visuals, a strong heart, and it's just great. Christopher Nolan's characters are cool, powerful and really fun to watch.
  60. May 23, 2012
    A good refresh of the series, unlike Tim Burton's slightly comical tone to the film in 1989.
    Tim Burton's was to bring you into the fantasy world of Gotham City.
    But this film is much closer to our daily lives.

Whereas the last series would be more appealing to the younger generation especially kids, Nolan's depiction is much more accurate and focuses on Batmans's personal development.

All I want now is if Bale can stop slurring the words when he speaks, then it would be perfect.
  61. Aug 16, 2012
    In my estimation my favorite superhero has not had a decent movie since Burton's version which seems like a lifetime ago. Needless to say I was eager for a reboot and excited to see what could become of this franchise. In no way was I disappointed. Despite the bizarre voice, Bale was a great choice for Wayne. The Scarecrow was a cool choice for this movie, not too over the top to distract you but has that dark gritty side the movie deserves. I love the long look into Wayne's evolution to Batman. The fact that we do not see Batman for the better part of half the movie is actually a benefit, kicking things off strong. A great start to what turns out to be one of the two or three great trilogies ever. Expand
  62. Jul 11, 2012
    the best possible way of starting a era . it had every thrust that the batman series needed . in the other batman movies batman was shown as a superhero but not as a human being . i would like to give credit to nolan for making batman a human being . also the cast the was wonderful . every character had a great depth . the finishing was wonderful too .
  63. Jul 12, 2012
    At times the origin story got a little ridiculous, but Batman Begins makes up for its flaws with a dark atmosphere, tight performances, and a serious take on the hero.
  64. Jul 17, 2012
    I saw this back in 2006 or 2007, but I watched it again last night in preparation for The Dark Knight Rises which premieres this Friday. Batman Begins is the prime example of why "the bat" remains my favorite superhero. Less super than hero, Christian Bale portrays both Bruce Wayne and Batman perfectly, but in my opinion he'd also make a great Superman! Nolan's writing and creative direction for this film makes it 2 hours and 20 minutes full of bone-chilling quotes that will leave you smiling and glued to the screen throughout the film. Expand
  65. Jul 17, 2012
    A superb reboot of the Batman franchise. This is exactly what I was hoping Batman would be translated as onto the big screen. The dark and gritty tone of the movie is exceptional and Bale has done wonders both as Bruce Wayne and as Batman. Nolan has proved again that he simply cannot make a bad movie.
  66. Jul 17, 2012
    Not only one of the best Batman films ever made, but also one of the best comic book films ever made. This film is a must-see. It does not fall into the trap of only spreading mindless violence but is very story and character driven. The origin story takes up about 65% of the entire film, which makes not only the story clear, concise, and interesting, but it has the same effect on the character of Bruce Wayne. Expand
  67. Jul 19, 2012
    BB is just an awesome movie. The movie shows who the Batman really is. Batman doesn't any super power. He just has some skills in fighting and has had some gadgets by which he acts like a superhero. That really attracts me so much because all other superheroes have some supernatural powers. Consider Iron man anyway. I love every dialogue from this movie, every! And no doubt the story is tremendous. Expand
  68. Jul 23, 2012
    Heavily overrated movie. Right, it's also fun for sci-fi-haters but all in all, it's just another superhero movie. Cool visual effects which don't overcome the story, average cinematography and soundtrack by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard who's getting too dreary with time. But the biggest drawback in the movie are the actors. None of them is authentic enough to make the film better and that's sad, because it could've been a very good movie with better actors. Not only main actor Christian Bale but also Katie Holmes, Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Gary Oldman are disappointing. And to my mind, the next bad thing with the movie is the ending. I didn't expect something like this at all. It seems like it was written in a quarter of an hour or something.
    I liked the movie, but I just expected it to be far better. The thing that's missing is a psychopathic villain like Joker in 'The Dark Knight'. 'Batman Begins' shows the beginning of Batman in a good and enjoying way and also if it's sometimes disappointing it's far away from being bad.
  69. Dec 29, 2012
    Finally, a decent reboot of the series after the previous disaster called "Batman & Robin" by Joel Schumacher. This movie goes back to the true dark roots of Batman and focuses on character development of Batman rather than the Villain, cheesy dialog and loud gimicky music and costumes like the previous franchise. This is a more laid, back dramatic Batman than an action based one. But of course being a superhero movie there are definitely some cool action scenes thrown in. Personally, I even liked this better than the Tim Burton movies which I always thought were overrated. 9/10 Expand
  70. Aug 12, 2012
    [5/9 Batman Marathon]
    Batman Begins [2005]
    It's pretty surreal to experience that after just watching the cartoony and absurd (not to mention crappy) "Batman & Robin", you watch the polar opposite. Not to mention the fact that it's the best Batman movie so far in the marathon. Nolan really gave a brilliant feel and reinvention to the franchise, one that it so desperately needed. Not to
    mention this was the cause of the new era of superhero movies. It's a brilliant movie. I appreciated this one a LOT more, despite watching it a few times years ago. Probably because I've experienced the **** and letdowns that previous Batman movies (which my childhood memories preciously upholded) had on me now rewatching it as an adult. Expand
  71. Aug 15, 2012
    Batman Begins has given us a new perception of what a super hero can achieve in the cinema. Has become a comic book superhero in a dark thriller that manages to take advantage of important elements such as a good plot and good writing. Christopher Nolan proves his talent again.
  72. Mar 12, 2013
    "Batman Begins" is undoubtedly one of the best films of the decade. The acting is superb, the music is carefully and artfully crafted into the film (at one point in the film an alarm is sounding in sync with the score), and while the whole film can be taken very seriously, it just as entertaining as a superhero film should be. There is enough drama and characterization to make the action worthwhile, and enough suspense and buildup to keep you in your seat for the whole ride. This film's job is to take a flesh-and-blood human being with no superpowers and turn him into a superhero, and it does just that. To sum it up, "Batman Begins" earns the respect it deserves. Expand
  73. Oct 30, 2012
    A realistic take on one of the most famous superheroes of our time. Thrilling, dark, and smartly written, Batman Begins is a good start of a great trilogy to come.
  74. Nov 12, 2012
    Just to make things clear from the off...IMO THIS IS THE BEST BATMAN FILM EVER,&THAT GOES FOR ALL 3 OF 'NOLANS BAT' FILMS!So what makes this film so special?Well as a big bats comic reader this is as good an origin story as Frank Millers Year 1(from which this film borrows)was for the comic books.It takes the Batman universe & for the 1st time in film trys to set it in a real world setting & pulls off that feat without it taking away from the mythos or the action,in fact it's truer to the Bats mythos & has the best action seen in any other Bat' film.When I 1st watched 'Begins I loved it so much that part of my conscious thought that it might have been me measuring it on the previous 2 Bat' films(Batman forever/Batman & Robin)which made the '89 Batman look like a superhero equivilant of The Godfather or a classic like Pans Labyrinth but on repeated viewings I found my appreciation of this film just grow & grow,it really is like a perfectly made art-house/character based film in blockbuster style clothing.As the start of an amazing trilogy it's perfect but as a stand-alone piece it's just as effective.AMAZING!! Expand
  75. Dec 30, 2012
    Great start to the series. It explores how Batman came to be and what fear actually is. However as good as the movie was visually and plot wise, there was a few issues. One, the villain proved nothing. I guess that's just because it's the first film but still. Basically he says I can contaminate you and then force you to turn into weird fearful creatures. Two, the ending wasn't the greatest foreshadow to the Dark Knignt. But still gives you an idea of the evil that is soon going to be released on Batman. But the biggest issue about this movie was Katie Holmes. To be this into kind words I guess I'de have to say.... She sucked big time. on the brighter side it shows how Batman came to be a superhero by fear not to mention great visual effects and a pretty good cinematographer. So I have to say well done. Expand
  76. Aug 5, 2013
    Batman Begins 9/10....................................................................................................................................
  77. Nov 24, 2012
    Batman Begins is the epic introduction to The Dark Knight trilogy that explores the untold story of Batman for the first time. Plot: Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) is the son of Thomas and Martha Wayne. He grows up very rich due to his father's ownership of Wayne Tower and has a very good relationship to them. However after leaving an opera they are murdered in front of his very eyes. As he grows up as a rich child under the care of his butler Alfred (Michael Caine) he feels guilty for their murder. When he decides to confront the mob boss controlling much distortion in Gotham City he realizes that he hasn't experienced true suffering and must accquire that feeling in order to protect those less fortunate. As he ignores his riches, he lives as a homeless man who must steal in order to survive, he goes from location to location into prison in order to beat up the prisoners. One day, Ducard (Liam Neeson) bails him out of prison and persuades him to participate in the initiation of the League of Shadows in an attempt to make Wayne become one with the darkness to make him stronger. After Wayne confronts his fear of bats and is ready to become a member, he lastly has to kill a man who has commited evil. When he refuses he destroys their temple and gets out alive and saves Ducard. When he returns to Gotham, his company has been taken over as he is still granted a position within it. He collaborates with fellow co worker Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman) as he uses an endless supply of technology which combined with his training allow him to become the vigilante known as Batman as he protects Gotham from evil and injustice. Compared to Batman: Batman Begins gives Batman the true origin story he deserves as a more realistic take on Batman, as his origins are thoroughly explored. My opinion: Batman Begins is the ultimate introduction to Batman as the audience will realize the hardship and struggle he has gone through in order to become the superhero that he is. I reccomend this to any Batman fan and to anyone who is into psycology, anybody who hasn't seen a live action Batman movie, and to anybody interested into deep storylines, as well as a lawyer. Expand
  78. Dec 24, 2012
    Batman Begins is a good start to the dark knight trilogy, the acting is superb in it, the stunts are awesome, the pacing is pretty good, and most importantly it makes u believe in a world so believable. the only mistake it made was that the storyline was a little bit too predictable.
  79. Nov 28, 2012
    What Nolan did here is something incredible; not only did he resurrect a then-dead franchise name, but he catapulted everybody's opinion of Batman to a more serious level. By using his Memento-style Non-linear storytelling techniques, beautiful cinematography, and insanely witty and provocative dialogue, Nolan created the most captivating superhero yarn to date. Christian Bale is almost objectively the best Batman actor. I've never seen any of the other Batman actors put as much effort into this role as Bale has. He really, and truly lifted this role off the proverbial page and he successfully managed to encapsulate the Batman/Bruce Wayne that Bob Kane and Bill Finger created. Every other actor in this movie is fantastic as well. Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman all comprise the amazing supporting cast. On a personal note, the film also possesses has one of my favorite scores too. Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard really did something out of the box for this film, but they also did something quite beautiful and appropriate. Overall, this movie is one of the most influential movies I have ever seen. It managed to portray every aspect of Batman's origin to a tee. Truly, a masterpiece. Expand
  80. Dec 24, 2012
    Up until Christopher Nolan, the history of the "Batman" movies has been undeniably vapid of any true, honest adaptations of the superhero. The closest we ever got to a great treatment was from Tim Burton's first "Batman" movie, and even then it was only the Joker that made the movie watchable - Michael Keaton was utterly boring, and the movie itself remained visually flat and uninteresting.

With Nolan, however, we get "Batman Begins" - a joyfully fantastic new take on the caped crusader's origins. Although the film has a lot of ugly browns to it, particularly during the last act, Christian Bale delivers a tensely convincing Bruce Wayne as the conflicted and disillusioned man who develops a crime-fighting alter ego to clean up the streets of Gotham. Liam Neeson is a strong villain and fun to watch, and his death is one of my favorite film villain deaths of all time. The music is awesome, the action scenes are great, and it's certainly the easiest of the Nolan Batman films to follow.
  81. Sep 25, 2013
    The best origin story I've seen. Very gritty and raw. Kudos to the Nolan brothers for a fabulous script and direction. The score kept the tempo running. Even given the breakneck pace, the main character developed constantly. The notion of fear is used to perfection. I especially liked the ideas of justice and vengeance, and the line that separates them, clashed against each other. Caine, Morgan and Oldman delivered stellar performances, not to mention Bale. My favourite batman film, including the sequels. I can't think of a single thing I would change about the movie. Sadly, I cannot say the same about the sequels. This one had the background, build-up, character development and action in the right proportions. It felt like a movie that was about Batman. The Dark Knight felt like it was about Joker. Rises concerned itself with uprisings and counter uprisings. Both would have worked better if the character of Batman was explored more instead of just reacting to the whims of the villains. Expand
  82. Dec 11, 2012
    batman begins is a special movie, the begining of the the dark knight trilogy . A very good story. Usually, the first movies are the best and the others the worst, but here it is all on the same level
  83. Dec 11, 2012
    Worse than Batman & Robin. I was so psyched, man. The promo material was great. Nolan directing. Too good to be true. Indeed. The first of many disappointments that marked my early adult life. I hate the world for loving this movie.
  84. Dec 26, 2012
    I thought this was one of the worst movies I had ever seen in my life I can't believe anyone liked this. Christian Bales voice when disguising it was so corny and fake it was ridiculous. I grew up watching batman the animated series and enjoyed that so much more than this version of batman. The director just made batman look like a total douche bag rather than the cool badass hero/charming billionaire he is supposed to be. Expand
  85. Aug 16, 2013
    Not as good as the other 2 Dark Knight movies. Cillian Murphy is a brilliant scarecrow, Katie Holmes is amazingly cheesy as Rachel Dawes, Christian Bale is a decent Bruce Wayne but a terrible Batman. Batman Begins is a below average film with good FX, decent acting, weak plot and a brilliant villain.
  86. Mar 24, 2013
    After the euphoria of Tim Burton's Batman in 1989, the series began encounter when fashion designer and then director Joel Schumacher took over, first with a mediocre Batman Forever, and Batman and Robin universally repudiated (1997), where the character string returned to play the camp TV series of 1966. Roger Moore as James Bond and took him into a cartoon, after succession occurred with Timothy Dalton and a stoic interpretation on the same wavelength as the expeditious Sean Connery and people turned away. The public had become accustomed to a new facet of the character and repudiated the return to their sources (or the general idea that previously existed on the character). If Batman and Robin would have been the first film of 1989, may not have generated much rejection (was more in line with what you remember from the Adam West series). But I used (and fascinated) with Burton's dark vision, just became the worst sacrilege that he could make the character, and the series went into a freezer which take years to emerge.
    But Christopher Nolan majestual managed to save this doomed series.
    Certainly the combination is more than interesting. First, Goyer and Nolan decide counting from zero overcast history, even with sagging elements of continuity with Burton's films.
    Second, is the epic view. Not only do we see the origin of Bruce Wayne Batman, but its evolution.
    The story is beautifully told, The origin of the character is totally brilliant but the film begins to falter a bit when Wayne is now Batman. Especially the lack of true brilliance of his villains: the Scarecrow is simply a psychopathic killer, whose origin is unknown. Ra's Al Ghul that the comic was an immortal is blurred, lacking depth or greater, perhaps, as the focus of the script indicates, is profiled secondary mode, so as not to steal the overcast scene. Maybe Carmine Falcone is, in his brief, most brilliant, cynical and sinister villains disguised. In if the story is not quite good and is still the subject of children but the performances are superb, and certainly Christian Bale is the definitive Batman. The score is excellent, somehow, Batman leaves his scientific side, relegating it to a new character as Lucius Fox, the relationship with childhood sweetheart, played by Katie Holmes, is warm, the villains plan is in a sense recycling plan of the first Batman Joker. But they are very minor flaws compared to the density, brilliance and excellence of the film.
    It is the beginning of an epic new era, that of a gentleman, a vigilante protector, a dark knight. You must see it.
    My Score: 9.3
  87. Feb 4, 2013
    Finally, a Batman film that is actually good. After the miserable fail of Batman and Robin, this is an amazing film showing Batman in a more realistic sense, (even though a guy dressing up as a bat and beating up criminals is not). NOLAN! NOLAN! NOLAN!
  88. May 7, 2013
    Nolan brings a fully realised and compelling Gotham to the big screen without resorting to the camp or ridiculous. Faithful to the finest comics, Batman Begins is the first live action film worthy of the Dark Knight.
  89. Mar 29, 2013
    This is the first 2 hours of my favorite movie of all time, so you know its a ten. Everyone in this movie was excellent(Katie Holmes, I know, but I thought she was good for Katie Holmes). This movie is absolutely perfect in every way.
  90. Mar 4, 2013
    This is the batman movie I have been waiting for. The story, acting, development, and villains were all great. It was alot better than Tim Burton's series because it focuses alot more on batman's past and childhood. It was way more realistic than Tim Burton's series and was not cartoon-ish in the slightest. Which made it alot more believable and alot more entertaining.
  91. May 31, 2013
    batman begins start off very lame and almost unwatchable i understand that Nolan was trying to build a story but even the process should be entertaining there are some technical mistakes that is unfortunately unforgiven such as the lame ninja techniques and out of place performances by Liam Neeson and Ken Watanabe and that was just for the first 30 minutes.
    but then the story begin to
    improve when the character has been build everything start to change some great scenes great actions great morals and fantastic soundtracks as usual in all nolan movies but at some parts the story is weak for example,
    are you trying to convince me that the league of shadows destroyed Roma and London and then they destroyed Gotham economically i mean they are bunch of ninja what kinda sense does that make but then again people are lost with the actions and never realize that the story through out the movie is lame and by saying that i didn't mean that the movie is bad it had it's good time and bad ones.
  92. Jun 10, 2013
    The first part in the greatest trilogy of all time. Christopher Nolan makes not only a great Batman film but a great crime drama. Anytime we see our favorite comic book characters in a more realistic and gritty way you have Nolan to thank for that.
  93. Jun 16, 2013
    rebooting a franchise wasn't an idea for anyone until batman begins was released.This is the world's first and the finest most perfect reboot.Although this was the begin of reboots, this got everything right.After then every studio wanted their dead franchise to be rebooted.Star trek was the only other successful movie which was perfect, but others got it wrong.This is a trendsetter the reboot of all reboots, Nolan succeeded the toughest challenge ever faced by a director! Expand
  94. Jun 24, 2013
    The best origin story to date. Batman Begins brings the beginning of Batman to a complex and philosophical scale. The "becoming a symbol" concept is genius. its one of the most interesting ideas in a movie. They really suck us in to the story the we take with Bruce Wayne as he becomes legend. LIke Wall-e the first half of this movie was utter brilliance. While the second half does drop in quality compared to the first half, the second half still isn't bad. I would completely recommend it to any movie goer. Expand
  95. Apr 12, 2013
    This is an incredible movie. Most superhero movies are enjoyable, but simply fun action sequences when boiled down. Batman Begins is a great movie in all aspects, not just action. Honestly, the only reason I give it a 9 instead of a 10 is because the sequels are somehow even better
  96. Apr 14, 2013
    Not quite as fantastic as The Dark Knight but better that Rises, Begins is a fanatastic film. While its not as loud as its sequels, it is also better in many ways. Great beginning to one of the best film series of all time. It does a great job of setting up its characters before a terrific finish. Great acting, escpecially from Bale, Caine, Neeson etc.

1. Begins, at two-hours-plus, is a nonstarter.
    The young Welsh-born actor Christian Bale is a serious fellow, but the most interesting thing about him--a glinting sense of superiority--gets erased by the dull earnestness of the screenplay, and the filmmakers haven't developed an adequate villain for him to go up against.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    Nolan's effort is not dishonorable, but what it needs, and doesn't have, is a Joker in the deck--some antic human antimatter to give it the giddy lift of perversity that a bunch of impersonal explosions, no matter how well managed, can't supply.