Batman Begins

8.6

Universal acclaim- based on 2075 Ratings

1. Mar 4, 2011
    I have not watched all of the Batman movies, so I can't really compare this triumph to the other films. I will say this: I was only able to stomach about 15 minutes of Batman Forever (the Schwarzenegger one) so... I guess it's safe to say that this one kicked the other's hind quarters... pretty hard if I may add. The film is dark, edgy and well acted. The plot is good (not groundbreaking,I have not watched all of the Batman movies, so I can't really compare this triumph to the other films. I will say this: I was only able to stomach about 15 minutes of Batman Forever (the Schwarzenegger one) so... I guess it's safe to say that this one kicked the other's hind quarters... pretty hard if I may add. The film is dark, edgy and well acted. The plot is good (not groundbreaking, but it really holds your attention). You will never be bored... or annoyed, like in Batman Forever. The best performances come from the effortless class of Michael Caine as Alfred, Cillian Murphy as the cold Dr. Crane and Liam Neeson as the main villain, Henri Ducard. Expand
  2. AgustínL.
    Feb 7, 2006
    Simply the picture what the batfans always were dreaming about. Nolan takes the more "realistic" superhero, and gives us much more than an action movie: a great movie no matters the genre.
  3. Apr 26, 2013
    One of the most fantastic parts of Batman Begins is how complex the film is. Nolan is not primarily concerned on making a entertaining comic book pic, but rather on making a intriguing art-house character drama. The number of deep, and thought provoking themes brought up in the movie is something to be hold, considering how the campy Adam West version introduced many people to the character
  4. HeatherQ.
    Jul 12, 2005
    I have been racking my brain trying to come up with a better done superhero movie. I honestly can't. This is what happens when you take a typical popcorn movie with thrills and explosions, and then add a real story and superb actors to it. Perfection.
  5. RickJ.G.
    Dec 20, 2005
    After being left for dead following the disastrous "Batman and Robin", the "Batman" franchise is back better than ever with "Batman Begins". The film's creator figured rightly that the only way to revive the franchise was to start all over again by retelling the legend of Batman's origins. Christian Bale is the first convincing Bruce Wayne/Batman for me. In "Begins", Bruce After being left for dead following the disastrous "Batman and Robin", the "Batman" franchise is back better than ever with "Batman Begins". The film's creator figured rightly that the only way to revive the franchise was to start all over again by retelling the legend of Batman's origins. Christian Bale is the first convincing Bruce Wayne/Batman for me. In "Begins", Bruce spends seven years traveling the world studying criminals and hanging out with criminals in prisons in search of revenge for the death of his wealthy parents at the hands of a homeless mugger. Along the way he meets Henri Ducard (Liam Neeson) and is taken in by a mysterious group of vigilantes known as the League of Shadows. Wayne eventually comes to reject the League's apocalyptic and immoral methods of cleansing the world of corruption and criminality. After rejecting the League's apocalyptic methods, Bruce creates the "Batman" crime fighting character. In the end, Bruce must successfully confront the League's plan to destroy Gotham in order for his "Batman" character to succeed in his mission to save his home city from corruption and crime. Bruce pretends to be a billionaire playboy in public as a front for not drawing any attention to who he really is after hours. This is incredibly disappointing to Bruce's love interest, idealistic junior DA Rachel Dawes (Who I think is played quite well by the much hated Katie Holmes). Michael Cayne is a suitable Alfred and seems to be popular with fans in the role. The best supporting character is Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman), the Wayne Enterprises scientific genius who has the knowledge and possession of everything Bruce needs to become Batman. I really love it when Bruce sees "The Tumbler", a.k.a. the future Batmobile, an experimental military vehicle, and Fox seriously says to him "Oh, you wouldn't be interested in that". The writers of the film obviously did that line for laughs and it works every time for me. Near the end when Alfred says to Bruce that it might be time to do some more work on the foundations of Wayne manner, particularly in the area of the Bat Cave, I'm left wanting to see what happens afterward. I hope we see at least a couple more "Batman" films with Bale et al. Expand
  6. AnthonyR.
    Oct 5, 2005
    Solid movie, honestly probably the best superhero movie to date next to spiderman. The darkness of the movie is perfect, it brings back the feeling of tim burtons dark movies of BATMAN!!! Great job Nolan, Christian Bale was a perfect batman.
  7. ChrisA.
    Jun 18, 2005
    This movie is impressive! I didn't believe there was much if anything left in the batman franchise after the last installment, but I am proven wrong! After leaving the theatre all I could say was "that movie was pretty f'ing sweet!"
  8. Gettford
    Jun 18, 2005
    Best movie of its ilk since the original Matrix. I haven't left a blockbuster film with this feeling in a LONG, long time. The crowd in my theater kept false-starting in their attempts to give this sucker a massive round of applause. Puts the Keaton original to shame. A must-see.
  9. AaronK.
    Jun 20, 2005
    This Movie shows who Batman really is.....and how he should not just use all his gadgets but he uses fighting too.....which also makes it more believable ,that is why is THE BEST OF ALL THE BATMAN MOVIES!!!
  10. RobertW.
    Jun 20, 2005
    FANTASTIC!! Especially in IMAX. Best movie I've seen in years!!
  11. PipS
    Jun 20, 2005
    A brilliant film that I vote as the best film of 2005, hands down, for it's cast, the acting, the script and emphasis on character and story rather than just the glossiness of special effects that we see all too often these days. Bale is to my mind the best Batman produced on screen so far, with a fantastic mix of charm, ferocity and martial skill.
  12. Jan 16, 2011
    I think this movie deserved more than a 70 but no more than a 90. If you're someone who is used to the Tim Burton style batmans like me, you know it had to take a lot of willpower to accept this Batman movie as one of the «greats». The tumbler was really hard to get used to and Alfred made me yak. Although I did like the Scarecrow.
  13. Jun 22, 2011
    A cinematic masterpiece. Batman Begins took the big risk taker, but the most rewarding one: bringing a comic book hero well known such as Batman and bringing him to a more realistic level. The result is a thrilling, dazzling, emotional journey full of darkness, heart, entertainment, and magic. Batman Begins is a masterpiece, with a sequel that is just as good. Batman Begins is a must see!
  14. Jul 27, 2011
    After the disaster known as "Batman and Robin", I was worried this movie would tank. But nope. Batman has made one heck of a comeback. Poor Fantastic Four. This movie is believable and stays true to the comics. Best movie of the year. I don't want a reboot. Nolan's franchise is the best Batman franchise ever.
  15. Oct 5, 2012
    Nolan made another great film in Batman Begins and it completely changed the super hero genre and it also began the best trilogy of all time. So much to analyse so much to entertain and so many performances to savour.
  16. May 27, 2012
    This was the start of a great realization of Batman and his world. The performances are sheer gold. It takes a somewhat darker tone compared to older Batman movies, a risk that payed off.
  17. May 22, 2012
    Batman begins is an awesome action movie, it's got exciting action, a great dialogue/script, a very good and interesting story-line and good acting by just about everyone in it. I haven't seen any other batman movies, but batman begins seems like it's probably better, it's just such a great film! If you haven't already seen it, I recommend watching it, it's a really good film, seriously,Batman begins is an awesome action movie, it's got exciting action, a great dialogue/script, a very good and interesting story-line and good acting by just about everyone in it. I haven't seen any other batman movies, but batman begins seems like it's probably better, it's just such a great film! If you haven't already seen it, I recommend watching it, it's a really good film, seriously, it's one of the best super hero films, but one thing is even better: The dark knight, check out my thoughts of it on my review! Expand
  18. Dec 24, 2012
    Batman Begins is a good start to the dark knight trilogy, the acting is superb in it, the stunts are awesome, the pacing is pretty good, and most importantly it makes u believe in a world so believable. the only mistake it made was that the storyline was a little bit too predictable.
  19. Mar 29, 2013
    This is the first 2 hours of my favorite movie of all time, so you know its a ten. Everyone in this movie was excellent(Katie Holmes, I know, but I thought she was good for Katie Holmes). This movie is absolutely perfect in every way.
  20. May 29, 2015
    'Batman Begins' is a reboot, comic book movie directed by Christopher Nolan, who, at the time, was still trying to make a big name for himself...this was the movie that put him on the map.

After the adaptations of Tim Burton's 'Batman' (1989) and 'Batman Returns' (1992), it seems that fans reacted fairly positive to them. Then came Joel Schumacher with his campy and unintentionally hilarious (but damn right awful) 'Batman Forever' (1995) and the atrocious 'Batman and Robin' (1997) where fans reacted negatively. It's easy to understand why.

Here, Christopher Nolan decides to polish things up with Christian Bale in the title role of Bruce Wayne aka "Batman". We get a glimpse of his childhood and origins as we learn that he has a huge fear of Bats, his loving parents then also decide to take him to the theater and that's where his parents are shot by a thug.

Young Bruce feels responsible for his parents' death and is left to live with Alfred, the butler (Michael Caine). Wayne, years later, goes off to train to become some sort of assassin as Ra'as Al Ghul (Liam Neeson) teaches him how to fight.

We get a lot of exposition and development to see how Batman becomes...Batman. Katie Holmes plays Rachel Dawes, Bruce's love interest. Holmes' performance does bother me a little in this movie and it's understandable as to how she landed a Razzie Award nomination for "Worst Supporting Actress".

Cillian Murphy plays the Scarecrow, we get some horrifying images of when he makes his victims hallucinate and cause them to act up.

'Batman Begins' is a reboot worth waiting for, it is darker, and less campy than the previous installments. Christian Bale plays a marvelous Bruce Wayne/Batman, the rest of the cast, including; Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman also commit to their performances. The standards for comic book movies has risen since this movie was released, and it's hard to see any other Batman movie made this perfect.

If you love dark and gritty movies, with splendid action and only the occasional joke here and there...then this movie is for you. It blends all these sub-genres very well and makes for a better-than-your-average comic book movie, I bet even non-comic book fans will love this movie as much as we do.
  21. Feb 7, 2016
    This is the one movie that revitalized superhero movies. Batman Begins made people watch comic book movies, take them seriously and paved the way for others such as The Dark Knight, Iron Man and Winter Soldier. What is so good about Batman Begins is the fact that it doesn't feel like a comic book movie at all but a real crime thriller. Christopher Nolan directs it perfectly and puts hisThis is the one movie that revitalized superhero movies. Batman Begins made people watch comic book movies, take them seriously and paved the way for others such as The Dark Knight, Iron Man and Winter Soldier. What is so good about Batman Begins is the fact that it doesn't feel like a comic book movie at all but a real crime thriller. Christopher Nolan directs it perfectly and puts his mark on the film. Christian Bale, Liam Neeson, Michael Caine, Cillian Murphy, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman and even Katie Holmes is amazing in this movie. It is very watchable and the story is the ultimate origin story with great villains and characters. I love this movie because of its strong acting, directing, action, score, characters and how it truly started a new era in cinema. Expand
  22. DavidM
    Jun 20, 2005
    Christian Bale easily takes the prize as the best actor yet to portray the Dark Knight. This film was darker, edgier and grittier than very comic romps previously, and it does justice (pun intended) to the original concept of Batman as a dark, brooding character. There's no campy "BIFF!", "ZOK!" or "BAM!" here. The fight scenes are dizzying and chaotic; director Nolan puts us in the Christian Bale easily takes the prize as the best actor yet to portray the Dark Knight. This film was darker, edgier and grittier than very comic romps previously, and it does justice (pun intended) to the original concept of Batman as a dark, brooding character. There's no campy "BIFF!", "ZOK!" or "BAM!" here. The fight scenes are dizzying and chaotic; director Nolan puts us in the thug's perspective of eerie noises and phantom shapes that appear and disappear before the furious blows that take the bad guys down. Bale is very believeable as a haunted young man who is stoking his internal fury against the injustice of the world, and the unusual thing about 'Begins' is that the story focuses entirely on him instead of the Caped Crusader having to share equal screen time with a flamboyant villain or villians. Indeed, the true bad guy of 'Begins' seems to twist and shift until the movie's climax approaches. The final threat to Gotham City is contrived in a debatable manner, but for most audiences who aren't interested in technical nitpicking or rigid adherance to canon the ending doesn't quite fall flat. I'd like to sum up this review by quoting the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons: "Best. Batman. EVER." Expand
  23. Mobius
    Jul 20, 2005
    A more beliveable story of the caped crusader and more true to the original story of the batman. i like the way that bruce played the rich spoilt playboy and the truth behind the bat equipment and cave was entertaining aswell. also i found that the film didnt focus on the bad guy being some deformed meglomaniac bent on world domination. you get to see very little of the scarecrow and that A more beliveable story of the caped crusader and more true to the original story of the batman. i like the way that bruce played the rich spoilt playboy and the truth behind the bat equipment and cave was entertaining aswell. also i found that the film didnt focus on the bad guy being some deformed meglomaniac bent on world domination. you get to see very little of the scarecrow and that i found perfect because he wasnt the real villian in this movie any way. Expand
  24. AleksiK.
    Jun 9, 2006
    After seeing the this I have restored hope of Batman films. I also thought, theres no better Batman/Bruce Wayne than Michael Keaton. Clooney and Kilmer SUCKED! Bale does a good job, I can't wait the sequel, where we see Joker.
  25. ChrisR.
    Dec 30, 2005
    After bearing the burden of a franchise that had spun completely out of creative control, I finally rented the DVD. What an idiot I was... Why did I not see this in the theaters? Caine and Freeman firmly cement their personas, delivering spot-on performances, Gary Oldman proves that he can quite simply out-character act anybody in the industry, and Bale, in a stunning turn -around After bearing the burden of a franchise that had spun completely out of creative control, I finally rented the DVD. What an idiot I was... Why did I not see this in the theaters? Caine and Freeman firmly cement their personas, delivering spot-on performances, Gary Oldman proves that he can quite simply out-character act anybody in the industry, and Bale, in a stunning turn -around physically from The Machinst, IS Bruce Wayne (P.S.: watch The Machinist. Bale reportedly ate an apple and a single can of tuna (while working out incessantly) to capture the physicality of the role. He then promptly assured producers that he could play the part in Batman Begins, and then proceeded to bulk out in SIX WEEKS . Neeson turns in an admirable peformance, and Holmes seems out of her element, but overall, this is the definative origin story which renders the previous Burton/Bruckheimer movies quaint, more or (VERY) less watchable, but utterly irrelevant. The 60's T.V. show was the coloring book, the previous franchise was the high school book report, and we now have the fully developed master's thesis of how a billionaire with a grudge and a horrible childhood trauma could resort to, and be facilitated in, swooping about Gotham, scaring the s*** out of criminals and audiences alike. I usually balk at the set-up for the inevitable next movie, but I actually cheered when Oldman's Gordon turned over the playing card... Kudos!!! Expand
  26. DanielC.
    Jun 19, 2005
    Fantastic! By far the best Batman movie, even one of the best comic book movies! Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan are exceptional at their jobs. They both better be in the sequel or Warner Bros. shouldn't even bother.
  27. StashaA.
    Jun 21, 2005
    I actually don't like fantasy movies, but for some reason I really enyojed this movie. The actors were fantastic! Christian Bale was great, then Morgan Freeman... There was a little bit of everything: action, romance, thriller,... An excellent story!! I also loved the batmobile - black tank. I loved it!
  28. K.M.
    Jun 21, 2005
    funny and highly entertaining- blows the last 2 batman movies out of the water. my only question is why katie holmes' cop character refuses to wear a bra.
  29. PraneethR.
    Jun 27, 2005
    One of the better batman movies.
  30. DanielV.
    Jul 5, 2005
    Best Batman movie to date. Christopher Nolan ressurects the dark knight after joel schumacher's cartoonish batman & robin.
  31. Anonymous
    Jan 6, 2006
    One of the best films of the year if you rate this movie a zero you have no life!!!
  32. MarkB
    Dec 1, 2005
    Christian Bale was far superior to any other Bruce Wayne attempt, although I did like Keaton (comic relief) Katie Holmes was pretty, but out of her league. Needed Charlize. The fight scenes were a bit of a blur, but the story was well done. I enjoyed not seeing any 'over the top' stage whores.(Jim Carey) I actually should give it a 10 because it had Liam Neeson, is he bad in anything?
  33. Nov 12, 2010
    Without a doubt, the best Batman movie ever made. I'm a huge fan of Keaton and the Burton films, but I simple cannot deny how perfect this film was. Batman Begins trumps The Dark Knight in every way imaginable.
  34. Oct 9, 2010
    Not quite up to The Dark Knight, in my opinion but still a good achievement for Nolan. The days of the dark and adult Batman were fully realised in this first adaptation by Nolan. Despite its darker element this move compared with its sequel is much more comic book orientated. But don't be put off by this, it is full of universal meanings and imagery that we can all relate to.
  35. Aug 21, 2010
    the movie had fast screenplay. there were some boring scenes. the second half picks momentum. the climax was good.
    story was imaginary. but nice execution. the thugs were upto the mark but not as great as joker. overall the movie is a good flick
  36. Dec 16, 2010
    This is the first true batman movie from the comics; and none of this tim burton/ george clooney zany nonsense that isn't really batman: Criminals are supposed to fear him not laugh at him. Also loved the inclusion of some of the more inconspicuos villans too (scarecrow and raz al ghul)
  37. Oct 18, 2010
    A bold and stunning achievment from Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale who triumph where many have failed; a Batman film where Batman is the most interesting character on screen. It's a story which is a little slow but never boring and Bruce Wayne's decision to don a costume and become Batman is believable. Outstandingly cast with great performances from Liam Neeson, Michael Caine andA bold and stunning achievment from Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale who triumph where many have failed; a Batman film where Batman is the most interesting character on screen. It's a story which is a little slow but never boring and Bruce Wayne's decision to don a costume and become Batman is believable. Outstandingly cast with great performances from Liam Neeson, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman, however it is Christian Bale who thrives above the rest. Nolan is perhaps a little too shaky with the action but his handling of the characters and drama is perfect. Arguably the best comic book film of all time. Expand
  38. Nov 19, 2011
    Pretty good for the most part. I think Scarecrow was a poor choice of a villian, Although it worked well plot wise - He just wasnt that good. Other then that it was a good film, Probably the best Batman film (yes even better then The Dark Knight).
  39. Jul 29, 2012
    Batman Begins is the better Batman movie, but The Dark Knight is the better movie. That's my honest condensed opinion, I own both movies on blu ray and recommend them to just about anyone.
  40. Feb 12, 2011
    This movie is one of the best Batman movies out there, it's good because it's surprisingly really realistic but still has it's classic comic book logic, the acting was great, as was the story, it's also darker than previous movies so the people who were upset with Batman and Robins lighter take on Batman, it's a great movie from beginning to end and a must see for Batman fans.
  41. Jul 18, 2012
    Batman Begins is the perfect start for Christopher Nolan's more cerebral take on the DC legend. It balances a more realistic approach, while still maintaining enough of a comic book sensibility to remain true to it's roots. The movie is well written and acted, with tons of memorable scenes. Although the fisticuffs never quite measure up to the dialogue, Batman Begins is actually a bit moreBatman Begins is the perfect start for Christopher Nolan's more cerebral take on the DC legend. It balances a more realistic approach, while still maintaining enough of a comic book sensibility to remain true to it's roots. The movie is well written and acted, with tons of memorable scenes. Although the fisticuffs never quite measure up to the dialogue, Batman Begins is actually a bit more exciting in the action department than it's much-lauded sequel The Dark Knight. Although it doesn't quite match it's aforementioned successor in overall quality, it's still a great reboot and a great film. Expand
  42. Oct 13, 2011
    The second best superhero movie of all time(so far) Because of this film i am a batman fan. Iim batman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  43. Jan 8, 2011
    It's just a Batman movie.
  44. Feb 21, 2011
    Fantastic. Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer really nailed this one. You couldn't get a better Batman origin story if you asked Frank Miller to write it. (I'm looking at you, Batman: Year One. I love that graphic novel, but this film borrows from it, while incorporating other Batman characters and improving upon it.)
  45. Jun 9, 2012
    Batman Begins is the first of the Batman trilogy as created by Chris Nolan. It's the first film in Batman history that investigates the psyche behind the Bat himself. It's a great preview for things to come but at this juncture, the film has a jarring tonal shift right in the middle. Started of as a psychological study, before succumbing to the usual super hero blockbuster template. OfBatman Begins is the first of the Batman trilogy as created by Chris Nolan. It's the first film in Batman history that investigates the psyche behind the Bat himself. It's a great preview for things to come but at this juncture, the film has a jarring tonal shift right in the middle. Started of as a psychological study, before succumbing to the usual super hero blockbuster template. Of course, all this exposition pays off in its next installment, The Dark Knight, but fans might need to take a look at this one again, as The Dark Knight Rises essentially concludes the story thread stared in this one. Expand
  46. Aug 15, 2012
    Batman Begins has given us a new perception of what a super hero can achieve in the cinema. Has become a comic book superhero in a dark thriller that manages to take advantage of important elements such as a good plot and good writing. Christopher Nolan proves his talent again.
  47. Mar 12, 2013
    "Batman Begins" is undoubtedly one of the best films of the decade. The acting is superb, the music is carefully and artfully crafted into the film (at one point in the film an alarm is sounding in sync with the score), and while the whole film can be taken very seriously, it just as entertaining as a superhero film should be. There is enough drama and characterization to make the action"Batman Begins" is undoubtedly one of the best films of the decade. The acting is superb, the music is carefully and artfully crafted into the film (at one point in the film an alarm is sounding in sync with the score), and while the whole film can be taken very seriously, it just as entertaining as a superhero film should be. There is enough drama and characterization to make the action worthwhile, and enough suspense and buildup to keep you in your seat for the whole ride. This film's job is to take a flesh-and-blood human being with no superpowers and turn him into a superhero, and it does just that. To sum it up, "Batman Begins" earns the respect it deserves. Expand
  48. Nov 28, 2012
    What Nolan did here is something incredible; not only did he resurrect a then-dead franchise name, but he catapulted everybody's opinion of Batman to a more serious level. By using his Memento-style Non-linear storytelling techniques, beautiful cinematography, and insanely witty and provocative dialogue, Nolan created the most captivating superhero yarn to date. Christian Bale is almostWhat Nolan did here is something incredible; not only did he resurrect a then-dead franchise name, but he catapulted everybody's opinion of Batman to a more serious level. By using his Memento-style Non-linear storytelling techniques, beautiful cinematography, and insanely witty and provocative dialogue, Nolan created the most captivating superhero yarn to date. Christian Bale is almost objectively the best Batman actor. I've never seen any of the other Batman actors put as much effort into this role as Bale has. He really, and truly lifted this role off the proverbial page and he successfully managed to encapsulate the Batman/Bruce Wayne that Bob Kane and Bill Finger created. Every other actor in this movie is fantastic as well. Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman all comprise the amazing supporting cast. On a personal note, the film also possesses has one of my favorite scores too. Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard really did something out of the box for this film, but they also did something quite beautiful and appropriate. Overall, this movie is one of the most influential movies I have ever seen. It managed to portray every aspect of Batman's origin to a tee. Truly, a masterpiece. Expand
  49. Sep 25, 2013
    The best origin story I've seen. Very gritty and raw. Kudos to the Nolan brothers for a fabulous script and direction. The score kept the tempo running. Even given the breakneck pace, the main character developed constantly. The notion of fear is used to perfection. I especially liked the ideas of justice and vengeance, and the line that separates them, clashed against each other. Caine,The best origin story I've seen. Very gritty and raw. Kudos to the Nolan brothers for a fabulous script and direction. The score kept the tempo running. Even given the breakneck pace, the main character developed constantly. The notion of fear is used to perfection. I especially liked the ideas of justice and vengeance, and the line that separates them, clashed against each other. Caine, Morgan and Oldman delivered stellar performances, not to mention Bale. My favourite batman film, including the sequels. I can't think of a single thing I would change about the movie. Sadly, I cannot say the same about the sequels. This one had the background, build-up, character development and action in the right proportions. It felt like a movie that was about Batman. The Dark Knight felt like it was about Joker. Rises concerned itself with uprisings and counter uprisings. Both would have worked better if the character of Batman was explored more instead of just reacting to the whims of the villains. Expand
  50. Feb 4, 2013
    Finally, a Batman film that is actually good. After the miserable fail of Batman and Robin, this is an amazing film showing Batman in a more realistic sense, (even though a guy dressing up as a bat and beating up criminals is not). NOLAN! NOLAN! NOLAN!
  51. Jun 10, 2013
    The first part in the greatest trilogy of all time. Christopher Nolan makes not only a great Batman film but a great crime drama. Anytime we see our favorite comic book characters in a more realistic and gritty way you have Nolan to thank for that.
  52. Jun 24, 2013
    The best origin story to date. Batman Begins brings the beginning of Batman to a complex and philosophical scale. The "becoming a symbol" concept is genius. its one of the most interesting ideas in a movie. They really suck us in to the story the we take with Bruce Wayne as he becomes legend. LIke Wall-e the first half of this movie was utter brilliance. While the second half does drop inThe best origin story to date. Batman Begins brings the beginning of Batman to a complex and philosophical scale. The "becoming a symbol" concept is genius. its one of the most interesting ideas in a movie. They really suck us in to the story the we take with Bruce Wayne as he becomes legend. LIke Wall-e the first half of this movie was utter brilliance. While the second half does drop in quality compared to the first half, the second half still isn't bad. I would completely recommend it to any movie goer. Expand
  53. Apr 14, 2013
    Not quite as fantastic as The Dark Knight but better that Rises, Begins is a fanatastic film. While its not as loud as its sequels, it is also better in many ways. Great beginning to one of the best film series of all time. It does a great job of setting up its characters before a terrific finish. Great acting, escpecially from Bale, Caine, Neeson etc.
  54. Dec 26, 2015
    This movie breathed new life into a movie franchise that was declared dead by many due to the 1997 movie Batman and Robin. Christopher Nolan returns the Batman live action films to the darker/grittier tone that was started by Tim Burton. I can easily recommend this movie to fans of Batman.
  55. Aug 5, 2013
    Ominous and intense, Batman Begins is terrific entertainment that takes a dark twist on the Batman origin story. Christian Bale is perfectly cast as Bruce Wayne, delivering the chilling nature expected from the superhero.
  56. Dec 16, 2013
    Until The Dark Knight came along, this was the best superhero movie that I'd ever seen. Nolan took the genre in a completely new and dark direction and everyone else followed. This was a landmark film.
  57. Jan 11, 2015
    The first film is the best film in the Dark Knight trilogy with plenty of action and great acting included in the new Batman's adventures. You won't want to miss the amazing choice of Ra's Al Ghul (Liam Neeson) as the main villain.
  58. Nov 2, 2015
    Christopher Nolan was not only able to bring the Batman franchise back to life, he was able to bring the best of Batman. Nolan's realistic version of Batman also helps make Batman Begins movie of the year.
  59. Feb 23, 2016
    All I can say is that this batman movie is awesome. It fits in with the lore while telling somthing new. Characters are great, story, everything. If you love batman, this is a must watch.
  60. Aug 22, 2012
    Batman Begins is a great film, but not fantastic. The acting is very good, the musical score is good and the villains in Ras Al Ghul and Scarecrow are both well thought out and portrayed well throughout the film. The main problem with the film is that it starts very slowly, but it does ultimately build up to something quite exciting and tense. But something else is missing from the film,Batman Begins is a great film, but not fantastic. The acting is very good, the musical score is good and the villains in Ras Al Ghul and Scarecrow are both well thought out and portrayed well throughout the film. The main problem with the film is that it starts very slowly, but it does ultimately build up to something quite exciting and tense. But something else is missing from the film, which could have made it truly the classic film it should be, and I can't quite put my finger what that is. Expand
  61. Apr 16, 2011
    While making Batman inhabit a believable world and a respectable psychological landscape is a remarkable feat in itself, Nolan's crowning achievement was to make us forget the earlier franchise that started badly and plummeted downwards from there.
  62. Jan 3, 2012
    Batman Begins cruises past the cheesiness and brings emotion and a darkness to the epic Batman story. But the movie does feature a weak performance from Katie Holmes and it can lag a bit, but it is packed full of action it is way too entertaining to hate. I give this movie 77%.
  63. Nov 10, 2011
    What Christopher Nolan's "Batman Begins" offers to the audience is not amazing action or impressive dialogue. His translation of the 'new' Batman provides both.
  64. Mar 17, 2011
    Batman Begins was just the tip of the ice berg for Christopher Nolan. A prelude, if you will. But what a HELL-OF-A prelude! Christian Bale is a very enticing Bruce Wayne/Batman, Gary Oldman a very interesting Commissioner Gordon, and an intriguingly novice first villain brought to us by Liam Neeson. And of course the always reliable Cain and Freeman are terrific in their roles. But theBatman Begins was just the tip of the ice berg for Christopher Nolan. A prelude, if you will. But what a HELL-OF-A prelude! Christian Bale is a very enticing Bruce Wayne/Batman, Gary Oldman a very interesting Commissioner Gordon, and an intriguingly novice first villain brought to us by Liam Neeson. And of course the always reliable Cain and Freeman are terrific in their roles. But the ultimate star prize goes to Cillian Murphy for stealing every single scene he's in. What a great film! Expand
  65. Aug 28, 2011
    Despite being just a little confusing in some instances, "Batman Begins," is a much better Batman movie than the older ones, and is only topped by its superior sequel "The Dark Knight" (both are also way better than Nolan's Inception, which unfortunately turned out to be complete garbage).
  66. Nov 9, 2012
    Finally. This is the Batman film I've been waiting for. It's emotionally gripping, visually striking, and a fantastic achievement in film. Batman Begins is one of the best films of the year.
  67. John
    Jun 20, 2005
    Explosive!!! Exciting for the whole family! The backstory gives insight to a mere man becoming something more and gives batman new apreciation for fans young and old! Movie is flawless and not a single cheesy character with cheesy lines. Brilliantly Orchestrated and edge of your seat adventure a must see!
  68. EileenG.
    Jun 17, 2005
    I got extremely depressed when I got out of this movie because I realized I have to wait at least two years for the sequel!
  69. NickM.
    Jun 10, 2005
    A bold, stunning, wonderful movie. Fantastic!
  70. DerrickD.
    Jun 15, 2005
    I'm a longtime batman fan. Batman would never wander the world engaged in murky activities to learn the criminal mind. Batman would not go to Ras Ah Gul for training. Batman would not cause hundreds of thousands of dollars escaping from the police. Yeah, I think the plot was kind of untrue to the mythos of batman. I think that the camera angles and the close ups of a lot of the I'm a longtime batman fan. Batman would never wander the world engaged in murky activities to learn the criminal mind. Batman would not go to Ras Ah Gul for training. Batman would not cause hundreds of thousands of dollars escaping from the police. Yeah, I think the plot was kind of untrue to the mythos of batman. I think that the camera angles and the close ups of a lot of the action scenes made the scenes almost impossible to follow or know what was happening. I enjoyed the relationship between Batman and his supporting cast. A lot of money was definitely spent on this movie but I think that all the destruction and mayhem was too much for a batman movie. Batman is a detective and crime fighter whose job is to protect gotham not destroy it. The casting was good I just think that the next movie should tone down the destruction a couple of notches and focus more on batman and his fight against crime using his mind as his most important weapon. Expand
  71. DarekK.
    Dec 15, 2007
    Amazing, absolutely spectacular. This is the best superhero/comic book movie ever made. It will only be outdone by The Dark Knight.
  72. Jan 21, 2011
    If you are trying to reboot a franchise, use this as an example. Get some one who isn't flashy as lead, a grade-A badass for your villain and nice old brit for your second protagonist. Oh, and also get a good director and screen writer
  73. Paul
    Jun 15, 2005
    Best Batman movie ever. Best comic book movie ever. Best action movie ever. Best movie ever. And the critic for the New Yorker who asked what Batman had to do with Eastern martial arts obviously has no clue.
  74. IamBatman
    Jun 15, 2005
    The lighting and mood of this film made me feel the Dark Knight's greatest weapon: fear. I loved how they picked one theme and rolled with it, without fear.. Bale did an amazing job playing, no, BEING the Dark Knight! Best Film I've seen this year!
  75. DakP.
    Jun 15, 2005
    First off, this isn't an incredibly "fun" film -- but it is a fantastic Batman film. Characterizations are spot-on, and the dramatic levels were well chosen and built upon. The beginning jumps a bit, because it has a lot of ground to cover, but it comes in handy to have that grounding. There are little flashbulb, flamboyant, cheerful characters to counteract Batman's grim First off, this isn't an incredibly "fun" film -- but it is a fantastic Batman film. Characterizations are spot-on, and the dramatic levels were well chosen and built upon. The beginning jumps a bit, because it has a lot of ground to cover, but it comes in handy to have that grounding. There are little flashbulb, flamboyant, cheerful characters to counteract Batman's grim demeanor -- and if critics want to cling to it being too somber and serious an affair, while missing out on what *IS* there, it's their loss. This lays a nice foundation. We can now effectually believe in the Batman having international terrorist enemies, as well as the single escaped lunatic as a villain. Well done. Expand
  76. ClintM
    Jun 20, 2005
    This was the Batman movie we always wanted but never knew we were missing out on. Gone are the hokey over-the-top performances and characters. And they're replaced by so much more! Christian Bale IS Batman and Christopher Nolan IS the director we should have had all along. The movie is so much more than "comic book" material. It's more real, more human, more intellingent. The This was the Batman movie we always wanted but never knew we were missing out on. Gone are the hokey over-the-top performances and characters. And they're replaced by so much more! Christian Bale IS Batman and Christopher Nolan IS the director we should have had all along. The movie is so much more than "comic book" material. It's more real, more human, more intellingent. The audience actually CLAPPED when it was over ... and I have to say I joined in! Expand
  77. EricY.
    Jun 16, 2005
    Didn't really know what to expect from the previews, but I was happy with the movie. I thought the action sequences were great and the effects were good as well. There was alot of back story before the action kicked in and I can't wait for the next movie because I expect that there will be even more action since the backstory has been taken care of already.
  78. Dec 30, 2012
    Great start to the series. It explores how Batman came to be and what fear actually is. However as good as the movie was visually and plot wise, there was a few issues. One, the villain proved nothing. I guess that's just because it's the first film but still. Basically he says I can contaminate you and then force you to turn into weird fearful creatures. Two, the ending wasn't theGreat start to the series. It explores how Batman came to be and what fear actually is. However as good as the movie was visually and plot wise, there was a few issues. One, the villain proved nothing. I guess that's just because it's the first film but still. Basically he says I can contaminate you and then force you to turn into weird fearful creatures. Two, the ending wasn't the greatest foreshadow to the Dark Knignt. But still gives you an idea of the evil that is soon going to be released on Batman. But the biggest issue about this movie was Katie Holmes. To be this into kind words I guess I'de have to say.... She sucked big time. on the brighter side it shows how Batman came to be a superhero by fear not to mention great visual effects and a pretty good cinematographer. So I have to say well done. Expand
  79. Aug 18, 2015
    This how you do a **** Batman movie. Cristian Bale nails it as Batman and the acting is superb and Liam Neeson nails it as Ra's Al Ghul. Best Batman origins movie ever.
  80. DavidP.
    Jun 15, 2005
    I love this movie! Top of the pops!
  81. DanielW.
    Jul 1, 2005
    The ballast of the film was predominantly founded on intelligent characterizations: Bale delivers a brooding complexity that does justice to the role; although I don't know is name, the sinister psych underling operating under the auspices of Liam Neeson's character had some excellent moments - which was lost on the audience later in the film; Katie Holmes proved more believable The ballast of the film was predominantly founded on intelligent characterizations: Bale delivers a brooding complexity that does justice to the role; although I don't know is name, the sinister psych underling operating under the auspices of Liam Neeson's character had some excellent moments - which was lost on the audience later in the film; Katie Holmes proved more believable as Cruise's lover than as Bale's significant love interest - possibly due to being cast in a largely one-dimensional role; overall, the film proved compelling and believable....oh yeah, and Michael Caine's role as the bulter was noteworthy both for its credibility and balance to the film as a whole. Expand
  82. BruceB.
    Jun 16, 2005
    The best Batman film ever? Definately. Why? Because it's exactly what the original comics needed to honour them, it's exactly the film we true Batman fans have been waiting for...forever.
  83. MikeS.
    Oct 20, 2005
    I just loved this movie.
  84. KurtW.
    Oct 20, 2005
    Watch This, I'm serious youll regret it if you dont.
  85. CurtisB.
    Oct 20, 2005
    The best batman movie to date.
  86. DanielL.
    Oct 20, 2005
    Loved It No more kiddy stuff.
  87. KimberlyS.
    Jun 10, 2005
    This is by far the best Batman movie EVER made, topping Tim Burton and putting the two 90s attempts to shame (well, more shame then they already had).
  88. JohnnyD.
    Jun 15, 2005
    Not just what I wanted in a Batman movie- but what I NEEDED in a Batman movie.
  89. JackN.
    Jun 15, 2005
    Wait till they get a load of this!
  90. SabinB.
    Jun 15, 2005
    One of, if not the best comic book movie of all time! even non comic fans should enjoy!!
  91. Shuvo
    Jun 16, 2005
    I read a lot of critics calling it humorless. Well, when was Batman meant to be the class clown...I appreciate the fact that Chris Nolan approached this film as a serious film with a story to tell...Not to satisfy the viewers with snappy one liners..The first true great movie I saw this summer..Seriously I don't remember the last time I had so much fun watching a movie at the I read a lot of critics calling it humorless. Well, when was Batman meant to be the class clown...I appreciate the fact that Chris Nolan approached this film as a serious film with a story to tell...Not to satisfy the viewers with snappy one liners..The first true great movie I saw this summer..Seriously I don't remember the last time I had so much fun watching a movie at the theater...Now Im willing to shell another 15 bucks to watch it IMAX... Expand
  92. PJV
    Jun 16, 2005
    Best movie I've seen all year. Bale plays Batman/Bruce Wayne to near perfection. The rest of the cast is great as well. I was really amazed how the story unfolded, everything from the gadgets, the villains, the chase, and especially how there was more depth and focus on Batman/Bruce Wayne. That was a factor in the other films that i felt was lacking. The only aspect of the film that Best movie I've seen all year. Bale plays Batman/Bruce Wayne to near perfection. The rest of the cast is great as well. I was really amazed how the story unfolded, everything from the gadgets, the villains, the chase, and especially how there was more depth and focus on Batman/Bruce Wayne. That was a factor in the other films that i felt was lacking. The only aspect of the film that bothered me a bit.. Just a bit.. Were the fight scenes. I wish director Chris Nolan would've pulled the camera back a bit more and maybe let a few shots play out a bit longer for the audience. I'm glad that at least the final fight between Batman and ***** was a lot less confusing and more enjoyable. That's the only thing keepin me from givin this movie a 10. Hopefully the sequel will have eveything that worked great for this movie and better fight scenes. Expand
  93. SteveH.
    Jun 16, 2005
    I went in with high expectations based on clips and other assorted hype and came away with those expectations exceeded by this film. Nolan and Goyer were exactly the team needed to revive the Dark Knight. The only real weak spot was side-of-the-mouth talking Katie Holmes, who still seems too much a little girl to pull off the tough D.A. role. Bale was superb in the dual role, finally I went in with high expectations based on clips and other assorted hype and came away with those expectations exceeded by this film. Nolan and Goyer were exactly the team needed to revive the Dark Knight. The only real weak spot was side-of-the-mouth talking Katie Holmes, who still seems too much a little girl to pull off the tough D.A. role. Bale was superb in the dual role, finally giving us TWO distinct characters. This movie can stand alone but we can only hope and pray that Nolan signs on to do another...if not more. Expand
  94. Arkham
    Rousing.
  95. GaryM
    Jun 17, 2005
    This is the only movie in the Batman series that is in the same league as the first. Not only is the story presented the way I always wanted to see the Dark Knight saga presented, the entire cast is outstanding, even if the action scenes indicate that the director needs more seasoning.
  96. JoshE.
    Jun 17, 2005
    If you can see it on IMAX by all means DO...it's phenominal!
  97. chris
    Jun 17, 2005
    By far the best batman since the first. Christian was great. The movie felt a little short or some of the story parts seemed to be rushed but still very well done.
  98. BSpike
    Dark and wonderful!
  99. MichaelG.
    Jun 8, 2005
    The best superhero movie ever. The way I felt at the end of it was the way I should have felt at the end of Revenge of the Sith, but didn't. Everyone was top notch. It may be impossible to top in a sequel.

1. Begins, at two-hours-plus, is a nonstarter.
    The young Welsh-born actor Christian Bale is a serious fellow, but the most interesting thing about him--a glinting sense of superiority--gets erased by the dull earnestness of the screenplay, and the filmmakers haven't developed an adequate villain for him to go up against.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    Nolan's effort is not dishonorable, but what it needs, and doesn't have, is a Joker in the deck--some antic human antimatter to give it the giddy lift of perversity that a bunch of impersonal explosions, no matter how well managed, can't supply.