Batman Forever

6.3

1. Sep 19, 2011
    "Batman Forever" is a movie that offers popcorn action and decent fun from Jim Carrey; basically you have to see the film as a ADHD in order to love the style.
  2. Jun 25, 2015
    Oh boy... I really like Batman Returns, but since the parents hated its dark tone so much, Joel Schumacher was forced to make the series more kid friendly.

I hate those parents. It's kind of depressing to see the dark tone disappear and have the series be this ridiculous. I like Val Kilmer, but he is so boring to watch. Jim Carrey is the highlight, but Tommy Lee Jones can be really

I hate those parents.

It's kind of depressing to see the dark tone disappear and have the series be this ridiculous. I like Val Kilmer, but he is so boring to watch. Jim Carrey is the highlight, but Tommy Lee Jones can be really irritating. The flashing lights and obnoxious sound effects doesn't save this boring movie...
    Also, Bat Nipples.
  3. Aug 11, 2010
    Better than Batman & Robin, but still a mediocre film. It tries too hard to combine Tim Burton's characters with their campy earlier versions. The result is an unsatisfying movie that's more of a product than an actual piece of decent scripting.
  4. Aug 12, 2012
    [4/9 Batman Marathon]
    Batman Forever [1995]
    [4/9 Batman Marathon]
    Batman Forever [1995]
    I loved this movie so much when I was a kid. Like, I was a DIEHARD fan for it. I idolized The Riddler, to the point that I kept drawing question marks on my bedroom wall with green crayons. I haven't watched the movie since then, and while growing up, I've heard so much **** about how crappy the Shumacher Batman films were, so my thoughts about this film have been negatively percepted since then. When I rewatched this, I have to say, it's not as bad as what people say **** about it. It's no Nolan film, but it's really not as bad as people say it is.

THE GOOD:
    -Val Kilmer's the best-looking Batman. He fits everything that has to be about Bruce Wayne and Batman. Sure, he has a deadpan delivery, but Bruce Wayne is supposed to be deadpanned as well so can't blame him for the characterization.
    -The production design is awesome.
    -The score.
    -The Charity Circus scene. Best part of the movie, hands down..
    -Bruce Wayne's past is explored a lot more.
    -Best-looking Batman costume.
    THE BAD:
    -The script is GODAWFUL. NOTHING MAKES SENSE. Batman strongly talks Robin to not kill Two-Face as a form of revenge, but Batman himself kills Two-Face without any sensible explanation. Bruce Wayne giving up on being Batman. Where the **** did that storyline come out from?
    -The villains are more cartoons than actual villains.
    -Jim Carrey. OH MY GOD, I can't believe I worshipped him in this when I was a kid. The first scene with him was unbearable to watch.
    -Batnipples.
    -What the **** did Robin do the entire movie, esp. when Batman was in peril? He showed up only to get Batman out of the sand. After that, he drove the Batboat and got held captive by the villains. What was the redeeming point of even having him in this besides being the catalyst of Bruce remembering his past?
  5. DanA
    Jan 30, 2008
    What saves this movie is Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey as Two-Face and The Joker. Jim Carrey is especially in place, while Two-Face's portrayal may be too psychotic, it's not nearly as bad as the Penguin or Mr. Freeze were.
  6. DZ
    Dec 1, 2006
    Didn't mean much to my 8 year old mind when it first came out. These days, while it's slightly more watchable, it still fails to excite as much as some people might have you believe. The story is weak, the Prince songs are horrible (the same can't be said for the Elfman score though) and Keaton's rendition as the Dark Knight leaves a lot to the imagination. What I did Didn't mean much to my 8 year old mind when it first came out. These days, while it's slightly more watchable, it still fails to excite as much as some people might have you believe. The story is weak, the Prince songs are horrible (the same can't be said for the Elfman score though) and Keaton's rendition as the Dark Knight leaves a lot to the imagination. What I did enjoy about Keaton was his brilliant portrayal of the disturbed Bruce Wayne (one of my favourite scenes was his attempt at letting the cat out of the bag in Vale's apartment). Nicholson is wildly entertaining and his over-the-top antics are worth, at least, a single viewing. Expand
  7. Dec 16, 2010
    Love Jim Carry love batman, but hate this movie i mean seriously he kills two face which compleley ruins the movie that's batmans only rule for those who are not batman fans
  8. Jul 19, 2011
    Though not as terrible as Batman & Robin, this movie is no gem. Val Kilmer's Batman is not as convincing as Keaton's, while O'Donnell's Robin fails to be likable. The Riddler is played by Jim Carrey, an actor who is synonymous with this movie. His character gets the most lines and screen time, with the Riddler essentially an extension of Carrey's comedy persona. His overbearing presenceThough not as terrible as Batman & Robin, this movie is no gem. Val Kilmer's Batman is not as convincing as Keaton's, while O'Donnell's Robin fails to be likable. The Riddler is played by Jim Carrey, an actor who is synonymous with this movie. His character gets the most lines and screen time, with the Riddler essentially an extension of Carrey's comedy persona. His overbearing presence confines Two-Face (played by Tommy Lee Jones) into a secondary character, given no real personality of his own other than that of a glorified lackey. This movie is vibrant visually but lacks substance in terms of acting and writing. Expand
  9. Feb 16, 2012
    Poor old Joel Schumacher - he'll be known for the rest of his life as "The man who killed Batman", though he earned that moniker in making Batman & Robin, not this installment. True, it's a very different take on the Dark Knight mythology from Tim Burton's previous brooding, Gothic adaptations - Schumacher adds a liberal dose of self-aware humour and in-jokes, and the whole film has aPoor old Joel Schumacher - he'll be known for the rest of his life as "The man who killed Batman", though he earned that moniker in making Batman & Robin, not this installment. True, it's a very different take on the Dark Knight mythology from Tim Burton's previous brooding, Gothic adaptations - Schumacher adds a liberal dose of self-aware humour and in-jokes, and the whole film has a certain camp fun about it. It's almost like Batman and Batman Returns was the franchise in its moody teenage years, and all of a sudden it's decided to cheer up and have a little fun. Schumacher hasn't completely dumped Burton's ideas on the wayside though, and most likely due to Burton staying on as producer, the film continues to delve into Bruce Wayne's tragic past and complex psychology. These scenes could have been lifted directly out of either Batman or Batman Returns, and provide the film with a good emotional kick. Robin's origin story is also kept fairly dark and Burton-y, and the thematic parallels Schumacher and writer Akiva Goldsman draw between Dick Grayson and Bruce Wayne are dramatically effective. The casting for the film is a real mixed bag. Chris O'Donnell has the right rebellious attitude and confidence to play Robin, Nicole Kidman makes a feisty femme-fatale as sassy psychologist Chase Miridian, Michael Gough is reliable as always as Alfred, and Jim Carrey steals every scene he's in as a brilliantly batty Riddler. However, Val Kilmer is completely miscast as Batman, and even clever cinematography and editing can't hide the fact that he can't handle the stunts - he just looks fat and slow. The real turkey of the cast is, disappointingly, Tommy Lee Jones, who turns Harvey Two-Face, one of the most interesting and complex of Batman's rogues gallery into a simplistic, camp pantomime villain. We must also question some of the design changes in the film (nipples? why?) that are so jarringly different from Burton's mythos that they appear to not even belong on the same planet, never mind the same city. Gotham appears to have evolved at an alarmingly rapid rate from a city of seedy slums and gothic cathedrals to a very East Asian-inspired neon metropolis. Well at least the taxes from the hard-working citizens of Gotham appear to have been put to good use. Batman Forever is an incredibly uneven film. There are good performances (Carrey), bad performances (Kilmer) and ugly performances (Jones). Batman's back-story is further fleshed out in dark flashbacks, and the introduction of Robin is handled well, but there's also homo-erotic suiting-up montages and bat-nipples. The film as a whole looks expensive, in a top-of-the-line fairground attraction sort of way, but it lacks finesse, and consistency in tone. It's clearly not the best Batman film, but Forever is also by-no-means the worst (audiences would have to wait another two years for the franchise-killer). One thing I will say for Joel Schumacher's first foray into the Batman universe - it's inconsistent, certainly, but it's never boring! Expand
  10. Sep 4, 2011
    Suffering the "threequel effect" from beginning to end, BATMAN FOREVER is a tedious superhero movie. It now stars Val Kilmer as the titular character, a less believable Batman than even Michael Keaton, who was a hard one to take into mind. And along with the whole superficiality of the plot, the villains aren't all that great either. The three previous villains were the Joker (JackSuffering the "threequel effect" from beginning to end, BATMAN FOREVER is a tedious superhero movie. It now stars Val Kilmer as the titular character, a less believable Batman than even Michael Keaton, who was a hard one to take into mind. And along with the whole superficiality of the plot, the villains aren't all that great either. The three previous villains were the Joker (Jack Nicholson), Catwoman (Michelle Pfeiffer), and Penguin (Danny DeVito). Now, we have another duo, consisting of the Riddler (Jim Carrey) and Two-Face (Tommy Lee Jones). Unlike in BATMAN and BATMAN RETURNS, these villains are more silly and ridiculous than creepy. Just look at the DVD box--their outfits give away all the asininity. Should you see this? I wouldn't recommend it. If you do, will you like it? It depends if you can stand Jim Carrey in more than just comedy and drama. Expand
  11. Jul 12, 2012
    This is a far cry from the way that I like to see Batman portrayed, but to Jim Carrey's credit he carries this film through its bumps along the way and it ends being a fun comic book flick.
  12. Jul 17, 2012
    This third installment in the original Batman film franchise certainly leaves a lot to be desired and left a lot of people on the fence. It evokes a bubblegum veneer of camp not seen since the Adam West days: complete with over-the-top villains, extravagant art direction, and a lighter tone from the Burton days. On the one hand, this style results in a very goofy plot dedicated entirely to
  13. Nov 12, 2012
    Schumacher's Batman is more colorful, and lighthearted than Burton's. This is not a good thing. Burton's vision, though imperfect, surpasses Schumacher's in every way, shape, and form.
  14. Nov 28, 2012
    Though Jones, Kilmer, and Carrey give it their all, their performances struggle to save this film from it's own cheesy camp.
  15. Jul 4, 2013
    The beginning of the demise of the 90's Batman films. Val Kilmer is ok as Bruce Wayne, but not nearly as good as Michael Keaton and Joel Schumacher shows he cares more about introducing pointless goofy villains than making a good movie.
  16. Aug 31, 2013
    I hate Jim Carrey. The movie is bad because of him!!! I don't know why they choose him. He's bad!!! He is not an actor. He is not a human!!!! I am just kidding. He is a human. But he's a very bad actor!
  17. Aug 9, 2013
    Jim Carrey is perfectly cast as The Riddler and Tommy Lee Jones wasn't too bad as Harvey Dent himself, but the entire film isn't executed with much energy, making for a moderately enjoyable film.
  18. Jun 28, 2014
    A toy and childlike feature with a bizarre Tommy Lee Jones. Nicole Kidman is at best a whimsical damsel-in-distress. The only mildly entertaining piece is Jim Carrey's eccentric and malevolent Riddler. Otherwise Schumacher fails as an action film director
  19. Sep 24, 2013
    Val Kilmer sucks as The Caped Crusader, and Tommy Lee Jones is a miscast, but Jim Carey is vey amusing to watch. He's the perfect actor to play the Riddler, and he pulls it off with style!
  20. Nov 29, 2013
    I got to say, this movie is so much better than some of the other Batman movies, but this isn't a good one. The acting from Carrey is to be what is expected from him. I'm not a big fan of his movies, so I wasn't too thrilled to see this movie. The bar was raised, but just a little.
  21. Dec 2, 2013
    Not the most terrible Batman film but far from the best. Val Kilmer gives his all, but still is the most boring Bruce Wayne ever cast. Jim Carrey does his Jim Carrey and Nicole Kidman is far from an interesting leading lady.
  22. Jun 29, 2014
    Boring, loud and ridiculously acted, "Batman Forever" should be renamed to "Batman Never" in spite the efforts of the charismatic Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones who brings soft comedy to save this movie from being a mess.
  23. Jul 8, 2014
    סרט ממש מטומטם שהורס את באטמן, אי אפשר לראות בלי להרגיש מטופש. עלילת הסרט ממש נראית כאילו ילד בן 10 כתב אותה. אם לא ראיתם את הסרט עדיף שתוותרו עליו, ובמקום זאת תראו טרילוגיית האביר האפל עוד פעם
  24. Dec 15, 2014
    Batman Forever is a 1995 American superhero film directed by Joel Schumacher and produced by Tim Burton, based on the DC Comics character Batman. It is the third installment of the initial Batman film series, with Val Kilmer replacing Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne/Batman. The film stars Tommy Lee Jones, Jim Carrey, Nicole Kidman and Chris O'Donnell. The plot focuses on Batman trying toBatman Forever is a 1995 American superhero film directed by Joel Schumacher and produced by Tim Burton, based on the DC Comics character Batman. It is the third installment of the initial Batman film series, with Val Kilmer replacing Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne/Batman. The film stars Tommy Lee Jones, Jim Carrey, Nicole Kidman and Chris O'Donnell. The plot focuses on Batman trying to stop Two-Face (Jones) and the Riddler (Carrey) in their villainous scheme to extract confidential information from all the minds in Gotham City and use it to learn Batman's identity and bring the city under their control. He gains allegiance from a love interest—psychiatrist Dr. Chase Meridian (Kidman) and a young, orphaned circus acrobat named Dick Grayson (O'Donnell), who becomes his sidekick Robin. Expand
  25. Oct 17, 2014
    The Dark Knight of Gotham City confronts a dastardly duo: Two-Face and the Riddler. Formerly District Attorney Harvey Dent, Two-Face incorrectly believes Batman caused the courtroom accident which left him disfigured on one side; he has unleashed a reign of terror on the good people of Gotham. Edward Nygma, computer-genius and former employee of millionaire Bruce Wayne, is out to get theThe Dark Knight of Gotham City confronts a dastardly duo: Two-Face and the Riddler. Formerly District Attorney Harvey Dent, Two-Face incorrectly believes Batman caused the courtroom accident which left him disfigured on one side; he has unleashed a reign of terror on the good people of Gotham. Edward Nygma, computer-genius and former employee of millionaire Bruce Wayne, is out to get the philanthropist; as The Riddler he perfects a device for draining information from all the brains in Gotham, including Bruce Wayne's knowledge of his other identity. Batman/Wayne is/are the love focus of Dr. Chase Meridan. Former circus acrobat Dick Grayson, his family killed by Two-Face, becomes Wayne's ward and Batman's new partner Robin the Boy Wonder. Expand
  26. Nov 27, 2014
    I don't like this movie nor hate it or kinda like it, it's just batman is getting the cool dark movies I like and everyone like, and this, AND THAT OTHER ONE, and that cool Adam West show are campy. But the only campy one I like is the 1960s show and movie. So this movie is ok but just isn't bring anything new to the character. But Jim Curry gives it his best here but in the wrong movie.I don't like this movie nor hate it or kinda like it, it's just batman is getting the cool dark movies I like and everyone like, and this, AND THAT OTHER ONE, and that cool Adam West show are campy. But the only campy one I like is the 1960s show and movie. So this movie is ok but just isn't bring anything new to the character. But Jim Curry gives it his best here but in the wrong movie. So the movie is watchable but it isn't that campy then, that other one):( . But just watch it if your a Jim Curry fan like me but for a batman fan, I don't really recommend it very well for batman. Expand
  27. Dec 15, 2014
    Everything in this movie is ok... The acting is ok, the effects are ok, and the villians are ok. At least this film is nowhere near the horribleness of Batman and Robin.
  28. SAV
    Jul 15, 2015
    Dopo i bellissimi Batman e Batman Returns diretti da Tim Burton, entrambi meritevoli di un 8 pieno, la regia della saga passò nelle mani di Joel Schumacher con risultati alquanto deludenti. Dotato di atmosfere molto più leggere e più bambinesche rispetto ai primi due episodi e caratterizzato da una recitazione piatta e a tratti anche ridicola, Batman Forever è un filmetto mediocre che nonDopo i bellissimi Batman e Batman Returns diretti da Tim Burton, entrambi meritevoli di un 8 pieno, la regia della saga passò nelle mani di Joel Schumacher con risultati alquanto deludenti. Dotato di atmosfere molto più leggere e più bambinesche rispetto ai primi due episodi e caratterizzato da una recitazione piatta e a tratti anche ridicola, Batman Forever è un filmetto mediocre che non rende giustizia al gotico universo del Cavaliere Oscuro. Expand

There is no rhythm to the movie, no ebb and flow; it's all flat-out spectacle.
    It's lighter, brighter, funnier, faster-paced, and a whole lot more colorful than before.
    Schumacher's method is to use a lighter touch, to stay closer to the cartoon that Bob Kane created for DC Comics in 1939 and to temper Burton's nightmare world with an accessible, brightly colored TV palette.