Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: June 20, 1997
5.8
Mixed or average reviews based on 733 Ratings
WATCH NOW
EpicLadySpongeDec 30, 2015
[EDITED ON 12/16/2016!] I know Batman & Robin attempts to go somewhere with the previous installments, but Joel Schumacher makes it so that this film acts more like a blend of previous films that were criticized terribly bad it was funny to[EDITED ON 12/16/2016!] I know Batman & Robin attempts to go somewhere with the previous installments, but Joel Schumacher makes it so that this film acts more like a blend of previous films that were criticized terribly bad it was funny to laugh at them the first time we see it instead of improving the simple mistakes that Batman Forever did. Expand
BrianMcCriticJul 4, 2013
One of the worst comic book movies of all time. Joel Schumacher killed the Batman franchise in the 90's with this piece of garbage. I mean seriously Bat nipples.
grandpajoe6191Sep 19, 2011
What I learned from "Batman & Robin" is that...
1) Joel Schumacher is a useless director.
2) Batman has lost its face and originality (Seriously, Bat credit card?)
3) I must preach the people to NEVER watch this piece of mess.
cameronmorewoodNov 12, 2012
This is an absolutely dreadful exploitation of the Batman franchise. The actor portraying the caped crusader has been different the last three films and each actor has screwed up the role worse than the last.
marcmyworksJan 13, 2014
This film is entertaining for the sole reason that it is dreadful. I can think of a number of drinking games that can be played while watching such as:
1) take a shot when Arnie makes a 'cold' pun
2) take a shot every time you see a bat
1) take a shot when Arnie makes a 'cold' pun
2) take a shot every time you see a bat nipple
3) chug when there is blatant sexual tension between Batman and Robin, etc
j30Jan 26, 2012
Probably one of the worst big budget movies I have ever seen. AVOID THIS MOVIE. If you want good Batman movies watch Christopher Nolan's or Tim Burton's take, their both aesthetically pleasing than this waste of space on the movie rentalProbably one of the worst big budget movies I have ever seen. AVOID THIS MOVIE. If you want good Batman movies watch Christopher Nolan's or Tim Burton's take, their both aesthetically pleasing than this waste of space on the movie rental shelf (or Netflix queue). I give it a one merely because of the awful lines that are hilarious, but you can still miss the film just watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRH-Ywpz1_I Expand
FranzHcriticAug 23, 2013
Gay as f**k, with no real congruity, Batman & Robin is a piece of s**t. Schumacher ruined the series with this gay bull***t that he added just because he is gay
MovieLonely94Oct 30, 2010
superheroes don't get credit cards!!!
heyitsmegrif4Jul 22, 2012
This Batman movie is basically mocking itself by even existing. With stupidity and awful acting and a stupid villain who was horribly miscast along with weak action you have a spoof of a great superhero. But it is worse because it is twiceThis Batman movie is basically mocking itself by even existing. With stupidity and awful acting and a stupid villain who was horribly miscast along with weak action you have a spoof of a great superhero. But it is worse because it is twice the mockery of itself. I give this movie 5%. Expand
HalfwelshmanFeb 19, 2012
I can occasionally appreciate Joel Schumacher as a director - Tigerland was a good character-driven war drama, Phonebooth a decent thriller, even Batman Forever had a quirky, flamboyant charm about it. Batman & Robin, on the other hand, is aI can occasionally appreciate Joel Schumacher as a director - Tigerland was a good character-driven war drama, Phonebooth a decent thriller, even Batman Forever had a quirky, flamboyant charm about it. Batman & Robin, on the other hand, is a pretty shoddy film. The "franchise killer" as it's been dubbed, is a whole new level of campiness and bad acting, with a dire joke-laden script and cartoonish action and sound effects. I can understand Schumacher wanting to cheer the Batman franchise up a bit after Tim Burton's Goth-tastic tenure, but this film goes above and beyond adding a lighter touch to proceedings, often bordering on parody. George Clooney, playing the new Bruce Wayne/Batman, has a permanent expression of pained embarrassment on his face, Arnold Schwarzenegger's Mr Freeze is comical (mostly due to the abundance of ice-based quips he's forced to spout) and Uma Thurman's performance as Poison Ivy is so bad and lacking in emotion that she looks like she's reading cue cards. Chris O'Donnell is just about pasaible reprising his role as Dick Grayson/Robin, and newcomer Alicia Silverstone makes no impact at all as Barbara Wilson/Batgirl. The only cast member who gives any performance of note is the ever-brilliant Michael Gough, reprising for the fourth time his role of Alfred, Bruce Wayne's wise and loyal butler, though the emotional impact of Alfred being at death's door is somewhat ruined by the fact that Gough has to share the majority of his screen-time with Clooney. The film's set pieces are largely unremarkable, excepting the quite gripping bike chase between Dick, Barbara and a gang of street thugs, and the film's visually impressive finale where Mr Freeze quite literally puts Gotham city "on ice". Batman & Robin isn't a superhero film, it's a joke. It's so over-the-top and unintentionally funny, in fact, that for all of its faults (and there are many), you can get a perverse kind of pleasure out of watching it. There are films that are so bad they're good. This isn't one of them, but it is nearly at the stage where it's so bad it's acceptable, at least as a comedy film. I can screenings of Batman & Robin being held in the not too distant future where people really indulge in its awfulness. Can you imagine a room full of people wearing their bat-nipples and quoting Arnie's terrible puns in time with the film? I can, and surprisingly enough, that doesn't scare me - in fact it sounds quite fun. Not bad for a film that claims to be a superhero movie, but in fact resembles something between an extravagant toy commercial and one of the lesser Carry On films. Expand
diogomendesMay 10, 2014
What you will witness in this movie is: Boring story, goofy and campy dialogue, ridiculous costumes, incredible slack of narrative and a 2 hours long abdominal mess. What saves this movie from being a complete piece of sh*t is the "okay"What you will witness in this movie is: Boring story, goofy and campy dialogue, ridiculous costumes, incredible slack of narrative and a 2 hours long abdominal mess. What saves this movie from being a complete piece of sh*t is the "okay" music and the special effects but believe me, this must be one of the worst super-heroes movie that I can't imagine what film could be worse than this Expand
chwJul 20, 2014
Batman & Robin should have never been made. Trust me, and the others that gave it a bad review, those reviews are the ones that won't waste 2 hours of your life, if you listen to them.
MrMovieBuffApr 27, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'Batman & Robin' is first class junk, cinematic garbage, a waste, a tragedy...and then any other horrible thing you can think of...

Joel Schumacher returns in the director's chair after making the awful 'Batman Forever' (1995), and this time, the cinematography is more colorful, the jokes have been doubled, and the tone is campier than ever. If you thought 'Batman Forever' (1995) was too theatrical, this film will make you wish you were watching a bad play.

Val Kilmer (who I thought was bland as Batman) has been replaced by a more known charismatic actor, George Clooney, donning the Dark Knight's cape and costume. Clooney have range as an actor, but he is no Batman, nor is he Bruce Wayne, he doesn't differ the two roles, they are both the same. His witty sidekick, Robin (Chris O'Donnell) churns out some more comic relief, because that's what we wanted, he tries so hard to provide some form of escapism for this film, but I just wanted to escape before the film was even over.

Gotham is under attack by a former scientist named "Mr. Freeze" (Arnold Schwarzenegger), who plans on freezing the entire town until he can find a cure for his wife. We are also introduced to Poison Ivy (Uma Thurman) who is so keen on letting nature run its course, and wants all humans to be extinct for the sake of plants.

There is no point explaining the plot any further because I was so distracted by the corny, crummy dialogue ranging from "I Want a car, chicks dig the car", "This is why Superman works alone" to "Alright everybody...chill!" and "It's a jungle in here". Just because you are making puns about everything that goes on doesn't make you any smarter, nor does it make your movie any smarter.

Alicia Silverstone plays Barbra Wilson aka "Batgirl", the niece of Bruce Wayne's butler, Alfred (Michael Gough). When she does become Batgirl, it is extremely glossed over...she just all of a sudden becomes a good crime fighter and fights beside Batman and Robin.

Alfred is dying (and so were the fans of "Batman"), but he later gets cured, and they all live happily ever after...

It also seems that Mr. Freeze finds out that Poison Ivy has betrayed him during their plan as she let his wife die and blames it on Batman. Thurman has this seductive presence, but they way her character is executed is an absolute cartoon.

There is a lot of over-acting in this movie, every actor seems to take their performance one step too far, and the visuals are very loud, that it quickly becomes more of an eye sore than eye candy.

There is a lot to say about this movie, but I'm just going to leave it to this... 'Batman & Robin' is a film where life was a lot easier knowing it never existed.
Iky009Jan 5, 2014
Outra peça que mostra a incapacidade de Schumacher em fazer filmes.Outra peça que mostra a incapacidade de Schumacher em fazer filmes. Expand
BroyaxJan 2, 2017
Schwarzy déboule dans ce quatrième Batman avec ses blagues de bureau ("je crois que j'ai jeté un froid"), ses vannes éculées ("reste cool, Robin des bois") et ses jeux de mots à deux balles ("l’hiver, il faut toujours vidanger ou ça pardonneSchwarzy déboule dans ce quatrième Batman avec ses blagues de bureau ("je crois que j'ai jeté un froid"), ses vannes éculées ("reste cool, Robin des bois") et ses jeux de mots à deux balles ("l’hiver, il faut toujours vidanger ou ça pardonne pas") : autant dire qu'il emporte toute l'entreprise vers le fond, vers les tréfonds de la beauferie artisanale roulée sous les aisselles.

Clooney qui joue très mal le Batmou est un clown bien connu et ne se prive pas pour lui répondre dans cet épique duel mano a mano ("Freeze, t'es givré") tandis qu'à ce dîner, que dis-je, ce gala de cons, le nain de jardin trépignant se la donne face à des joueurs de hockey ("ils nous cherchent des crosses, vieux frère").

Alicia Silverstone, jolie gourdasse blonde, vient éventuellement prêter main forte aux deux tanches qui ont maille à partir avec Poison Ivy, Uma Thurman dont le sur-jeu permanent lui vaudrait presque l'Oscar dans cette fête à neuneus à laquelle il faut reconnaître un côté kistchissime poussé à l'extrême : ainsi, la Batmobile ressemble désormais à un char de la gay-pride tandis que tous ces bouffons en latex passent leur temps en sauts périlleux de cirque face à l'abruti de Picard surgelés.

Comme le dit Clooney qui n'est plus à une cloonerie près, on sent qu'on perd son sang-froid avant la fin des deux heures réglementaires. D'autant plus consternant que le précédent Batman, également de Joel Schumacher, avait su garder un minimum de dignité.
gameguardian21Feb 24, 2016
This batman movie is basically the original series with too many pun.., a little darker, and bat nipples. This is probably the worst super hero movie of all time and probably one of the worst movies of all time.
SimpsonFansAug 31, 2016
bfoore90Nov 16, 2016
Not a great movie at all, its a definite step down from Burton's original Batman and even from Batman Forever. Its campy as hell, the acting is way too over the top and cheesy (though I enjoyed Arnold's Mr.Freeze) and the script seems like itNot a great movie at all, its a definite step down from Burton's original Batman and even from Batman Forever. Its campy as hell, the acting is way too over the top and cheesy (though I enjoyed Arnold's Mr.Freeze) and the script seems like it could have been written by a kindergartner. Batman and Robin is just not a great movie, this was merely a cash grab to sell toys and it definitely shows. Expand
python2000Aug 14, 2013
The second worst superhero movie of all time, would be first but Catwoman exists. George Clooney is terrible as Batman even worse than Val Kilmer. Even worse they tried to make it humourous, and it didn't work. Bat card. Need I say more? ThisThe second worst superhero movie of all time, would be first but Catwoman exists. George Clooney is terrible as Batman even worse than Val Kilmer. Even worse they tried to make it humourous, and it didn't work. Bat card. Need I say more? This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen and almost as bad as Catwoman. Expand
MarickDec 16, 2014
Batman & Robin is a 1997 American superhero film based on the DC Comics character Batman. It is the fourth and final film of Warner Bros.' initial Batman film series. The film was directed by Joel Schumacher and written by Akiva Goldsman. ItBatman & Robin is a 1997 American superhero film based on the DC Comics character Batman. It is the fourth and final film of Warner Bros.' initial Batman film series. The film was directed by Joel Schumacher and written by Akiva Goldsman. It stars George Clooney, Chris O'Donnell, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Uma Thurman, and Alicia Silverstone. Batman & Robin tells the story of the Dynamic Duo as they attempt to prevent Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy from freezing all mankind to death and repopulating the earth with mutant plants, while at the same time struggling to keep their partnership together. This is also the only film appearance of Batgirl, who unexpectedly helps the title characters win in the end. Expand
WheelzFourReelzDec 29, 2014
There is not one redeeming quality in this film. The acting is way over the top, the premise is nonsensical, the characters are useless, the action sucks, the visuals hurt the eyes, and the puns are just unbearable. However, I wouldn't beThere is not one redeeming quality in this film. The acting is way over the top, the premise is nonsensical, the characters are useless, the action sucks, the visuals hurt the eyes, and the puns are just unbearable. However, I wouldn't be lying if I said this was a guilty pleasure film of mine. Expand
Spielberg00Sep 23, 2011
Now starring George Clooney as the first title "hero" (as Chris O'Donnell reprises his role as the second), BATMAN & ROBIN is flawed on so many levels: For starters, it makes BATMAN FOREVER, in its mediocrity, look like THE DARK KNIGHT.Now starring George Clooney as the first title "hero" (as Chris O'Donnell reprises his role as the second), BATMAN & ROBIN is flawed on so many levels: For starters, it makes BATMAN FOREVER, in its mediocrity, look like THE DARK KNIGHT. Second of all, Uma Thurman, for her role as Poison Ivy, uses the exact (exact!) tactics that Michelle Pfeiffer used for her role as Catwoman in BATMAN RETURNS, and those tactics are surely no longer sexy at all. Third, Arnold Schwarzenegger was poorly, poorly miscast for the role of Mr. Freeze, and it makes him look like a terrible actor--the stupid punning he does throughout the film makes him look even more terrible. Also, BATMAN & ROBIN was Warner Bros.'s idea to veer the "Batman" films into a "family movie" zone. I found it ridiculous that to make it into a family film, they decided they should make the action sequences look corny rather than smooth, and to add in a bunch of childish humor spoken by Robin. In addition to that, George Clooney, Chris O'Donnell, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Uma Thurman, and Alicia Silverstone need some serious lobotomies. Even if some of their careers are alive again today, this film murdered their acting careers, and I feel so much pity. I could go on and on, but the bottom line, if I hadn't made it clear enough yet, is do not see this film. It is ridiculously stupid and unimaginably terrible. Expand
SythusRATINGSOct 17, 2014
Batman and Robin are back working side-by-side to stop the villains of Gotham City, but is there tension appearing between them, especially when one villainess who calls herself Poison Ivy can make anyone fall in love with her...literally.Batman and Robin are back working side-by-side to stop the villains of Gotham City, but is there tension appearing between them, especially when one villainess who calls herself Poison Ivy can make anyone fall in love with her...literally. Along with Poison Ivy, the icy Mr. Freeze is freezing anything which gets in his way from achieving his goal. Expand
davenbettridgeAug 28, 2011
Mr. Freeze: "What killed the Dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!" - "Tonight, hell freezes over!" - "Ice to see you!" - "You're not sending ME to the COOLER!" - "In this universe, there's only one absolute... everything freezes!" - "Let's kick someMr. Freeze: "What killed the Dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!" - "Tonight, hell freezes over!" - "Ice to see you!" - "You're not sending ME to the COOLER!" - "In this universe, there's only one absolute... everything freezes!" - "Let's kick some ice!" - "The Ice Man cometh!" - "Tonight's forecast... a freeze is coming!" Expand
MonsieurEamesJul 12, 2012
This was a very poor movie. The performances are abominations, the sets are ridiculous, and the dialogue is downright lame. Batman fans, skip this one.
SuperheroMoviesAug 9, 2013
The entire film plays like an enormously unfunny comedy rather than a daring duo superhero flick, and it's too sloppily scripted to enjoy even with its should be likable cast.
MoviebuffreviewJul 9, 2013
Need I say anything? Batman and Robin is a dull, uninspired, insulting, and ridiculous take on the character. Had Batman Begins not come out, this movie would continue to leave a bad stench to the Batman franchise in Hollywood.
superbatAug 22, 2016
The worst superhero movie of all time. Everything that could possible go wrong with a DC Comics movie goes wrong in Batman and Robin. Bad acting, bad costumes, too much colour, the plot is too simplistic. It's not a Batman movie, it's theThe worst superhero movie of all time. Everything that could possible go wrong with a DC Comics movie goes wrong in Batman and Robin. Bad acting, bad costumes, too much colour, the plot is too simplistic. It's not a Batman movie, it's the circus. What a huge disgrace. Expand
joao1198pedroOct 27, 2013
if in batman forever you thought that joel schumacher can´t do anything worst it´s because you didn´t see this movie,absolutely nothing on this film is good.
AkashVijayJan 21, 2015
Films as bad as Batman and Robin come around only once or twice a life-time. Apparently some small fraction of the population found the film more amusing than the previous instalment, Batman Forever. I must concede. It is more comedic thanFilms as bad as Batman and Robin come around only once or twice a life-time. Apparently some small fraction of the population found the film more amusing than the previous instalment, Batman Forever. I must concede. It is more comedic than Batman Forever though that's like saying suffocation is mildly more amusing than drowning. I'd rather gargle Battery Acid than have to watch Batman and Robin again. Expand