7.8

1. Oct 30, 2010
    best Michael Keaton movie ever!
  2. Sep 18, 2011
    What makes "Batman" impressive is the unpredictable creativity and live art director Tim Burton mixes in with the original idea. Very impressive and well made.
  3. Apr 1, 2011
    The most successful outing of the Caped Crusader before the 2007 smash hit Dark Knight, the 1989 Tim Burton version offers a straight up comic book movie with a crap load of action, explosions and overall mayhem. Michael Keaton stars as Bruce Wayne, a sly and unassuming businessman who by day deals with documents and contracts and who by night is a one man army, stopping crimes all overThe most successful outing of the Caped Crusader before the 2007 smash hit Dark Knight, the 1989 Tim Burton version offers a straight up comic book movie with a crap load of action, explosions and overall mayhem. Michael Keaton stars as Bruce Wayne, a sly and unassuming businessman who by day deals with documents and contracts and who by night is a one man army, stopping crimes all over Gotham City. He forms a relationship with photojournalist Vicki Vale, played sexily by Kim Basinger, who wants to write a story about the Batman legend and crack the truth once and for all. Meanwhile, a citywide spree of madness and murder is being perpetrated by The Joker, played excellently by Jack Nicholson who is perfect for the role. Quite simply, when it comes to portraying crazy people, he is THE best. As mentioned before, the movie was in the hands of extraordinary artist Tim Burton, four years after his big screen debut with the 1985 comedy Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. The movie looks great, and the DVD quality is top-notch for a movie that is nearly 25 years old. I have to say, this movie in particular is the best looking action movie I have ever had the pleasure of seeing. However, the film does have some flaws, my biggest complaint being a sometimes cheesy soundtrack (Prince). In sum, a truly great film experience that all fans of the genre should check it out. Expand
  4. Feb 6, 2011
    I watched this movie a couple of days ago after so many years and while Batman's stiffness in his movements kind of gets in the way, the movie is still as spectacular as ever, specially the musical score.
  5. Feb 14, 2011
    The only flaw I can find with this movie is Micheal Keaton, his interpretation of Batman is poorly done, but Jack Nicholson's performance as The Joker easily makes up for this, he really shows the Joker for who he is, a psychotic prankster, all in all if you can put up with Keaton than you have yourself a great movie.
  6. Feb 27, 2012
    Batman is a truly fine superhero film. It's not just that, though - most of the film more closely resembles an action-orientated film noir, and it has a finale that appears to have been taken straight out of a Gothic horror movie. Michael Keaton is the best film Batman, no question. While I can understand his casting raised a few eyebrows, but his portrayal of Bruce Wayne is very human andBatman is a truly fine superhero film. It's not just that, though - most of the film more closely resembles an action-orientated film noir, and it has a finale that appears to have been taken straight out of a Gothic horror movie. Michael Keaton is the best film Batman, no question. While I can understand his casting raised a few eyebrows, but his portrayal of Bruce Wayne is very human and sincere, and very likeable, and his portrayal of the Dark Knight is unexpectedly effective, and highly influential (Christian Bale wasn't the first to adopt a different voice for the bat and the man). His successors never reach the heights Keaton does, with Val Kilmer being too camp and George Clooney being completely lifeless. Jack Nicholson's Joker makes for an extremely entertaining, scary villain. While he will now always be compared to Heath Ledger's Oscar-winning performance, you can't avoid the fact that they're very different roles. Ledger's Joker is uncontrollable and without any clear aim - he's a rabid dog. Nicholson's Joker is a sociopathic gangster with fame on his mind, is far more calculated and aware of what he is doing, and I personally find that far more scary. Like I say, they're different interpretations of the character, and impossible to rank one above the other. Kim Basinger's Vicki Vale makes a good damsel in distress, Michael Gough makes the perfect Alfred, and Jack Palance growls through his lines as another despicable villain, crime boss Carl Grissom. It's such a shame that Billy Dee Williams never got to play Two-Face (as he really wanted to) with his version of Harvey Dent being such an intriguing, ambiguous, image-obsessed character - he would have made a really memorable villain. Like all of Tim Burton's films, Batman is a visual feast, with Gotham city presented as a murky, industrial, crime-ridden dystopian metropolis, but with a striking ahistorical mix of architecture by designer Anton Furst. Appropriately enough for a film which is so influenced by Brazil in its design, the cinematographer is regular Terry Gilliam collaborator Roger Pratt, and his steady, measured filming style marries very well with Burton's dark, focused vision. As well as being a very engaging and well constructed superhero film and crime thriller, Batman has a surprising amount of comedy in it. This isn't the campy, pun-laden humour of the Schumacher Batman films - these are clever, self-aware jokes about social convention (the scene where Bruce Wayne is having a meal with Vicky Vale across a ridiculously long dining table before Wayne admits that he doesn't think he's ever been in this particular room of his vast mansion before is incredibly funny, helped no small measure by Keaton's impeccable comic timing) and the affectionate mockery of the ridiculousness of the source material (two thugs looking over an apparently unconscious Batman wonder who he is, but rather than immediately thinking to remove his mask, one suggests that they should "check his wallet"). The addition of humour adds a lot to the film, but never at the expense of story or character. Schumacher took this too far in his films, but Burton gets the balance between humour and seriousness just right. Finally, Danny Elfman's score is among the best of his career, providing a consistent moody and mysterious tone to the film, and creating a memorable hero theme to rival even John Williams' iconic theme for Superman. Batman is a truly great superhero film. So visually striking, it looks like it was torn straight out of the comic books it was based on, and the two most recognisable characters from those pages are brought wonderfully to life by Keaton and Nicholson. The film retains the tragedy and darkness of Batman as a character and the world he inhabits, but never gets carried away with it to the extent that the film becomes depressing. The addition of a liberal dose of humour is a welcome one, and it's nice to see a decent big budget superhero film confident enough to incorporate comedy into its story (something we have seen more of recently, with Iron Man and Thor). A great superhero film, a nice call-back to film noir and Gothic horror of classic Hollywood, and one of Mr Burton's very best - Batman really is rather fantastic. Expand
  7. Aug 30, 2011
    Batman is a Dark Film with great action sequences and good all around acting performances from Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson its a Classic Movie that will be marked in history as one of the most memorable Super Hero movies of All time
  8. Apr 25, 2014
    Batman 1989 is my favourite superhero film, Michael Keaton is the best Batman because you never would have suspected that it's him, he as Bruce Wayne keeps all his troubles and worries inside not showing it when around other people, and when he is Batman he lets all that anger and hate out, then there is Jack Nicholson as the Joker he was the one who stole the whole movie and well he isBatman 1989 is my favourite superhero film, Michael Keaton is the best Batman because you never would have suspected that it's him, he as Bruce Wayne keeps all his troubles and worries inside not showing it when around other people, and when he is Batman he lets all that anger and hate out, then there is Jack Nicholson as the Joker he was the one who stole the whole movie and well he is the best movie Joker because he is funny and creepy. This is also by far the best superhero-villain relationship I've seen in a comic book movie, first of all Joker killed Batman's parents, if that doesn't make him his enemy than I don't know what will. The soundtrack is amazing and the last third of the movie is definitely the best part of the movie, you see the Batmobile, you see the Batwing, you see Joker, and Batman kicking ass. 10/10 Expand
  9. Jul 3, 2013
    Batman is a dark and violent superhero movie. Michael Keaton is the best Batman ever! The best Batman movie ever! Batman must stop the evil Joker from destroying Gotham City in this superhero blockbuster. Batman has everything a good superhero film should have. While not that close to the comic it still has some comic book things in it. It defiantly the best.
  10. Jul 30, 2013
    Due to its' creativity, fantastic story and characters, Tim Burton's Batman is a fantastic superhero movie that I will never get tired of, and, in my opinion, Tim Burton's masterpiece.
  11. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This has been one of my favourite movies for years and years. This is the comic book movie at it's best, realistic enough but sticking to it's roots of the impossible. Keaton's performance remains to be the best Batman. Jack Nicholson gives us performance as the Joker, and with it is his dark and morbid sense of humour that appeals to me, I find him absolutely hilarious. The visuals and music fit perfectly together and to a visual artist like it's just perfect. What really works for this movie is that Batman's character is kept more of a mystery and because of that it's a better performance, and the Joker's story we learn the details of and is written and performed perfectly. Tim Burton's greatest film and one of my all time favourites. Expand
  12. Nov 29, 2013
    Although there are some ridiculous sets, such as three mile high buildings and such, the acting is good, with great villains. Nicholson does one of his better performances to date.
  13. Jul 9, 2014
    Nicholson and Keaton are excellent in Batman. The action is very cool and all the cast fit their characters.
    Keaton should've stayed with the Batman franchise but he dropped out of it after the sequel. Batman
    is one of smartest comic book movies ever made.
  14. Oct 17, 2014
    Gotham City: dark, dangerous, 'protected' only by a mostly corrupt police department. Despite the best efforts of D.A. Harvey Dent and police commissioner Jim Gordon, the city becomes increasingly unsafe...until a Dark Knight arises. We all know criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot...so his disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts. He becomes a bat. Enter Vicky Vale,Gotham City: dark, dangerous, 'protected' only by a mostly corrupt police department. Despite the best efforts of D.A. Harvey Dent and police commissioner Jim Gordon, the city becomes increasingly unsafe...until a Dark Knight arises. We all know criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot...so his disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts. He becomes a bat. Enter Vicky Vale, a prize-winning photo journalist who wants to uncover the secret of the mysterious "bat-man". And enter Jack Napier, one-time enforcer for Boss Grissom, horribly disfigured after a firefight in a chemical factory...who, devoid of the last vestiges of sanity, seizes control of Gotham's underworld as the psychotic, unpredictable Clown Prince of Crime...the Joker. Gotham's only hope, it seems, lies in this dark, brooding vigilante. Expand
  15. Oct 19, 2014
    I love this movie! It's the best one in the whole franchise and a true classic. The role as Batman was tailor made for Michael Keaton he's just perfect as Bruce Wayne. A bit cheesy at times and outdated a bit as far as special effects but makes up for it with the talented cast. Tim Burton is so cool! Definitely watch this movie!
  16. Nov 27, 2014
    If I chose this or dark knight, I probably chose this because It feels like a dark batman comic was transformed in to a dark comic book movie, and I respect that. So yeah tough call but I half to go with this awesome movie and it's one of my favroite movies of all time:)

1. Reviewed by: Staff (Non Credited)
    Despite its interesting, grim tone and undeniably striking visuals from director Burton and production designer Furst, the film fails to synthesize its strengths into a compelling whole.
    The movie's problem is that no one seemed to have any fun making it, and it's hard to have much fun watching it. It's a depressing experience.
  3. It would be a lot better if it didn't lean exclusively on bone-crunching action for its climactic thrills, and the story continues long after its ideas have started to sag. [29 June 1989, Arts, p.10]