5.8

1. Nov 18, 2014
    its 2014,i only saw part of this movie,and find it absolutely chilling,this is how it may happen,with the goons
    who listen on 21cm and attempt to contact aliens,this is what could happen,i've often wondered what a lot
    of funny interference on short wave radio was,and you simply dont know,the critics,what do they know,nothing except their bank cheques.No one knows whats out there but this
    could happen.excellent movie. Expand
  2. Oct 29, 2014
    What is the thing that saved this film to be hated from myself is that... it's pretty well acted by almost every actors. It's been made in Black Hawk Dawn plus District 9 style. Some moments reminds me great war films. What made it bad is... It's flat and repetitious. Problems lies in writing which could involve some different and original stuffs.
  3. Oct 29, 2014
    In the vein of reviewing things that have already come and gone, here I am again. I saw this movie last night and enjoyed it. It was a flat out traditional - good guys versus aliens movie, and it was much more fun and convincing in terms of military coordination than anything Independence day tried to pull off (hated that movie). This is not an award winning movie. This is not filled with award winning overpaid actors. This is literally the quintessential- movie made to entertain the audience, movies. It is not pretentious, self-important like War of the worlds. It has some nice effects, some fun battles and full of cliches that work in the context of this film.

My only desire would have been some more information about what really happened to our Sgt. in his past- maybe a flashback or so.

Fav moment: when Sgt. ties shoes on kid- just one of those spontaneous subtle moments that reveals the nurturing character of our hero.

Dumbest moment: being caught out in the open street by first encounter rooftop martians.

Silly moment: trying to find out how these creatures are best killed- sure was some funny organ parts in that darn thing...

All in all, worth it to buy on dvd, see it with the intention of being entertained, not to be taken seriously, and hopefully you love your American military.
  4. Sep 16, 2014
    Excellent action movie, sound was awesome and it hardly slows down at all! Right up there with Terminator Salvation and Transformers for me. Would highly recommend
  5. Aug 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sometimes the trick to feel positive about a movie is to read bad/disapproving reviews of it beforehand. It sure worked with this one.

This is another one of those shaky-camera type of films. In the beginning it's too obvious, used in scenes that don't require it at all, but you get used to it at some point - or it stops happening as much.

Visually this film was good. The aliens looked nice, the explosions and action felt real, and the flashes, bangs, noise, rubble and smoke made it all feel like a real war experience (especially with the shaky camera work). The action scenes were confusing at best because of all the things mentioned above: you couldn't see anything, there was a lot going on, but you shouldn't feel bad about that because that's how it is in real life, I would assume. No still images, slow motion or steady hands.

In the beginning of the film they introduced a bunch of character (of which some died pretty early on in the movie, but you have to give them some character and background, right?). The names, ranks and characteristics came so fast, though, that the only people whose names and faces you're capable of connecting in the end is the final group of survivors. They really could have worked on that a little... or maybe that was the point.

The characters themselves were quite good. Dedicated soldiers fighting in a war that no one really knows anything about, all with their own stories (although some of them weren't used all that much to influence the overall plot).

It was kind of amusing that the whole bunch of them acted like they won the entire war when they managed to get a small victory in battle, but I guess when you've finally managed to do something like that, it feels like winning the whole thing...

The movie itself felt like it didn't really have a beginning, middle or an end; after the action started, it was all action from there on, without bigger pauses for breath.

I personally liked this film and will see it again in the future. It's a different kind of look to an alien colonization, although nothing too extreme. It just focused on the fighters, not the "politicians". Brutal all the way.

Retreat, hell.
  6. Jul 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Metacritic really should have a way to delete reviews​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​. Expand
  7. Jun 26, 2014
    This movie seems to polarise opinion. Personally I really liked it! I thought it different enough from the usual Hollywood alien invasion story to be interesting. I empathised with the characters; the desperation in the face of a seemingly unassailable enemy and the determination that got them through. I thought the acting was good especially Eckhart. All in all an entertaining 2 hours.
  8. Apr 19, 2014
    This is a good sic-fi action movie starring a good cast.We can only enjoy this amazing movie.Aaron Eckhart shine as the sergeant Michael Nantz.There is a lot of action and the effects are really good. I recommend this movie.
  9. Jan 20, 2014
    This movie is just terrible! It's so long. I ended up skipping some parts. I guess the producers want people to waste their time watching the movie. The movie was mainly about the military versus aliens. I felt like tearing this movie in half. "I'm done. I'm calling it a day." I'm not watching this tiresome movie ever again. Oh, and aliens don't exist.
  10. Dec 30, 2013
    Tralha voado para todo o lado e com uma história incrivelmente mal feita, e efeitos visuais não tão legai. A Batalha em Los Angeles só serve pra mostrar a superioridade americana.
  11. Aug 31, 2013
    This was epic! I loved how they make it so hard to see the Aliens, cause that kept my interest. I loved how they make it like a real War from a camera man. The way they did this movie gives it a real feel.
  12. Jul 29, 2013
    This movie is about the squad not the aliens. Actually the trailer is enough for you to know where the stiry of this movie will go. Pretty boring. It's like black hawk down style action with alien-terrorist hybrid with incendiary ammo that needs water to get high, as the enemies. I prefer Black Hawk Down: Alien Jellyfish Invasion as the title.
  13. Jul 20, 2013
    In the movie's TV news said that all civilians are evacuated but why the beach was crowded with people and act like a baby when one of the meteor crashes at the Cargo ship.The reason why the aliens invaded earth is because of water.The aliens also weird with it's weapon attached with it's hand.
  14. Jun 17, 2013
    Apologies for my earlier review, my mistaking the movie for it's terrible game. This movie was actually pretty decent, with some exciting action scenes and great aliens. The story overall was predictable and lackluster though. The movie is worth watching, but not an overall success.
  15. May 31, 2013
    Not that bad, but still not a good movie. The plot seemed interesting at first, but it just felt like another story that was played in front of me before, like a video game or something. The story is not that great to begin with anyway. The characters themselves, while they do act like bad*** soldiers, they aren't really that interesting at all. They just go in and kill alien invaders like any other game or movie Iv'e seen before already. Another issue, its just plain boring. Some of the action scenes are entertaining, but the rest feel rushed and unneeded. The alien invaders don't look or feel interesting. They just look like robots made up of organs, flesh and metal who want our water, which is very obvious. There's nothing here original or exciting. It was a good idea on paper and couldv'e been a good movie, but the excitement, plot, and imagination just wasn't there. Expand
  16. May 28, 2013
    I did have fun with the movie, it did its job well, it was an all around popcorn movie, but the movie lacks in character development, execution, script and acting. But I did sort of like the movie, I mean Battle: LA isn't as bad as Skyline, but the movie is nothing memorable, at points it tries to be like Independence Day, or Cloverfield, or Black Hawk Down. The movie is full of flaws, but its okay. Expand
  17. May 2, 2013
    Alien Robots battling for earth against gun touting humans, sounds like fun right while you'd be wrong. No character development along with sub par robots leads to a dreadfully awful movie.
  18. Apr 13, 2013
    Even though its just another alien movie, I thank God it's not like same Michael Bay "Transformers 2" movie. The story does try to stay on track with the conflict, but some of the other scenes from the very beginning were pointless. When I say this, I'm talking about the golf scene. But once it gets into the action, it really draws your attention. It tends to, at times, bring in some thrills, which really is the first half of the movie. But when you come up to the final battle, it tends to lose its suspensing thrills and seems to be an action like movie. As far as acting goes, its pretty decent. But it's always Aaron Eckhart who still keeps the story going. Overall, for a stupid movie idea like this, it's pretty decent to watch. Expand
  19. Mar 10, 2013
    It make me feel shame that movies like this can exist, horrible. First the aliens were indestructible and then the guy kill them with a pistol, the aliens run through the marines bullets, and the marines are harder to die than Chuck Norris.
  20. Dec 18, 2012
    Awful acting by all the actors, the story is just weird senseless. you could say that the Special Effects save the movie unless that's what I thought but sadly they didn't.
  21. Dec 7, 2012
    Eh, I liked most of it! I was entertained despite many annoying flaws.

The first, and most annoying flaw is the camera work. Could the camera shake any more? I'm not really sure what the director and filmmakers were thinking while filming this movie, but it's ridiculous. Whatever effect they were going for was completely missed. I was annoyed throughout most of the film because the
    camera was literally moving the entire 2 hr. running time.

Second, there was no character development. In the beginning, I could tell there were some attempts to introduce some characters, but I rarely cared for any of the characters. Towards the end of the film I began to care a little more for the characters, but this film failed to capitalize on the atmosphere of the story and emotions that could have come from the situation. This is the area where the film had SO much potential. The conflict of the film was really great...LA was being destroyed. The characters' homes were being destroyed. Let me get into their heads, make me feel what they're feeling...but this film never touched that aspect of the story. Ultimately the film fails for that reason.

Also, this film is so so cliche! Almost laughable at times...

I did love the effects and action! I'm a big blockbuster fan, so Battle: LA delivered in that respect. The special effects were great, and the battle sequences were action-packed and intense. I was entertained and I can't complain with that...

Battle: LA...an okay pre-summer blockbuster that entertains, but nothing else. I recommend it, but this film fails to deliver in areas where it could and should have.
  22. Nov 23, 2012
    I went into this movie not expecting much, and was pleasantly surprised to find a exciting action film with tolerable acting and story. Yes it's often cliche, and yes the script and acting won't win it any awards, but where this movie shines is that it is almost non-stop action. The title says it all: if you wanna see US troops slugging it out with aliens in LA, then you'll enjoy this. If you want a thoughtful or inspiring movie, then best skip it. Expand
  23. Nov 8, 2012
    Why is Aaron Eckhart, who has shown himself to be a good actor through several fine performances, going along with this garbage? The script is literally trash, and even the stupid moviegoers who are wowed when things go boom boom, will be utterly unsatisfied with the cheapened special effects of the Los Angeles wasteland.
  24. Oct 1, 2012
    Luckily this was a netflix rent for me. I had the option of turning it off at about the halfway point. The writing was awful, the special effects were laughable, and the way the characters reacted to the news (by completely ignoring it) was an insult to the intelligence of American soldiers. I couldn't take it. If your idea of a good movie is "wow them guys firing them there guns is cool!"...then this is your movie. Expand
  25. Sep 27, 2012
    An entertaining movie, but nothing more ... Is typical alien movie. Unoriginal. Special effects are acceptable. Appears to be good, but not anything to write home.
  26. Aug 25, 2012
    I am not really sure why the critics were so harsh towards this film. It is fine, it is nothing special but it has a wonderful tension that builds throughout the film. I also thought that the acting was brilliant especially the chemistry between Aaron Eckhart and Ramon Rodriguez. A solid film that is worth a view.
  27. Aug 14, 2012
    Cliched, derivative, mind numbingly stupid, and doesn't even fall into the same category of 'Stupid but entertaining' like Michael Bay's Transformers movies. Avoid this one.
  28. Jul 27, 2012
    Forget War Of The Worlds!! Independence Day - eat my shorts!!! Battle: Los Angeles is the REAL DEAL!! This is the best film I've seen this year - and trust me, I have watched a lot!! Hoorah Staff Sergeant Nantz!!
  29. Jul 22, 2012
    Not what I expected at all... I tried to finish the movie... But it just didn't interest me at all. The special effects were absolutely terrible... and the movie lacked all humor they were trying to project.
  30. May 25, 2012
    There are tons of action moments, but there is no reason to watch because the characters are lifeless and there isn't a real story. It is unbearable for me.
  31. Mar 30, 2012
    Acting is dreadful, effects way below average, dialogue is for 2 year olds and a story that is non existent. Add that the camera was shaking like there was a 9.0 earthquake. One diaster of a movie.
  32. Mar 27, 2012
    Set in present day Los Angeles, Battle: Los Angeles follows a platoon of marines playing their part in defending the city against a large scale alien invasion. Granted, not for everyone's taste. Imagine Black Hawk Down meets Independence Day with all the usual war movie cliches thrown in and then some for good measure. Credit should be given to the screenplay for not giving in to the usual expletive filled rants so typical of marine films. This allowed the film to be rated 12 and I'm sure was appreciated by younger cinema-goers. The almost-documentary style filming of the aliens arrival and initial platoon movements work and the film is capable of developing a pretty reasonable level of suspense as the platoon encounter the first aliens. The special effects are fantastic and result in several visually intense action sequences. Bryan Tyler should also be praised for producing a big epic score that fits well with the scale of the invasion and the task faced by the characters. Ultimately though, the cliches win the day and the film pays for not providing any real human aspect for the viewers to relate to, with the exception of Eckhart. Saving Private Ryan remains the outstanding reference for how war movies can engage the viewer through character emotion. Sadly this is lacking in Battle, but the film will definitely appeal to sci-fi and action fans without a doubt. Expand
  33. Mar 25, 2012
    This was a fabulously great movie. The CG could had been better for the land aliens, other then that, this was a excitingly awesome movie. I love the part were they made it to base and they loaded their weapons instead of eating and calling it quits. Plot was excellently provided at the right given time. Great movie about spirit, faith and honor. The sound is stupendous in Doby Digital 5.1. I cringed on each up close explosion, So realistically timed and dramatically played. Expand
  34. Mar 25, 2012
    Popcorn for the brain: action, aliens and marines. Some good concepts with the aliens being mortal and (in general) defeatable with standard weaponry, although if I was being picky I would have expect a bit more from a race that mastered that level of space travel and technology.
  35. Mar 23, 2012
    the movie was entertaining. the action was fun. the introduction and set up of the movie was outstanding. the end was terrible. completely anti-climactic. humanity should have flat out lost. end of the discussion, there should not have been a super obvious easily exploited weakness that wins the battle for humanity. a depressing ending would have fit the build up to a tee. but someone screwed up. point is, what the beginning, its believable and entertaining. either stop when it starts to suck or cringe through the rest Expand
  36. VDS
    Mar 5, 2012
    Imagine the cool visuals from District 9 crossed with the terrible gung-ho nonsense from Independence Day, and youâ
  37. Jan 27, 2012
    By personal rule I try not to have expectations before I watch a movie regardless of how much I already know about it. I was expecting "Battle: Los Angeles" to be yet another clichéd alien invasion flick in which humans must once again put aside their differences and work together to save the day and retake the planet. That's pretty much how BLA turned out, but one redeeming feature was how much it resembled war-related pictures such as "Black Hawk Down" as opposed to crappy sci-fi movies such as "Skyline". Expand
  38. Dec 9, 2011
    I had never standed up and leave the theater.But guess what... Battle: L.A. made it !
    i was very excited about this movie, the trailers where awesome but when i started to watch it started to fell down my emotions.
    the plot is too boring, the e.t are things undefinied you never see one of them pretty close and the fight was like 4 blocks... the ufos had lots of tech equipment to kick ass
    but even so it wasnt enough... i could stand watching it the worst sci-fi movie i´ve ever seen. Expand
  39. Nov 13, 2011
    Battle LA is a typical alien invasion action movie. It cant help but feel like a poorly executed, newer, Independence Day. An above average action performance by Aaron Eckhart helps to redeem the movie but it remains thoroughly average. The film is permeated with action scenes that consists of gunfire, loud explosions, and yelling. It is still mildly entertaining despite the fact that is extremely formulaic and predictable. It help my attention for the entire runtime yet it managed to provide zero mental stimulation.It receives a thoroughly average 5. Expand
  40. Nov 13, 2011
    Good alien movie I realy enjoyed it. Great performance by Aaron Eckhart the whole movie stands because of him. The action was cool little bit of thriller and emotion was there in the movie.
  41. Nov 6, 2011
    BATTLE: LOS ANGELES is a visually impressive and somehow surprisingly violent (for a PG-13) film that is well acted and has a great music score.
  42. Oct 22, 2011
    its basically black hawk down with aliens . it has some pretty good action and gets going pretty fast and doesnt stop till the credits role . if you just want to see some thing fun its worth seeing .dont expect any plot twists or great acting . the film also feels unfinished at the end . so if all you want is some slam bang shoot em up its worth a rental.
  43. Oct 16, 2011
    Great Movie, I reallllllyyyyy enjoyed it. I can understand some of the gripes people have with the sudden shift changes in the PLOT, But its a war flick about Aliens trying to take over are world. People over expect an demand I think from this movie, Like they want some 5 hour plot to be told an full story line issued but not have to sit there an deal with that length of a movie. People are just to narrow minded an this movie came out at the wrong time when other genres were more popularized. This movie showed the strength that even in the Direst of odds men an women of the human race can band together to survive an overcome the worst of odds to keep going on an living. I wish it would of got better reviews an more revenue cause then they might of been able to make a trilogy or a saga at least out of this movie, its a shame people are just to lame to look at the over all idea of something, instead they sit there an nit pick it to **** Just a shame. GREAT MOVIE, I thought it was heaps a ton better then WAR OF THE WORLDS with tom cruise....I mean I liked it but I actually enjoyed this movie more an was given that feeling of hope an sorrow for the Marines an man kind in general. Expand
  44. Sep 28, 2011
    This film was pitched to us as Black Hawk Down mixed with Independence Day, but a more apt description might be Black Hawk Down and District Nine, with a splash of Cloverfield. The aggressively handheld nature of the camera is an immediate callback to Cloverfield, while the situation of Marines fighting it out in a wartorn urban battlefield is exactly like BHD. District Nine's excellent visual realization of CGI extraterrestrials merged almost seamlessly with live action is repeated here, along with some rather gory dissection of said aliens.

Black Hawk Down's legacy is all over this film. While BHD was a masterpiece of a war film and Battle LA is not as good, there are a lot of borrowed elements. The epic visual of numerous helicopters flying in formation while the camera slowly pans around them worked wonderfully in Ridley Scott's film, and it does so again here. Also, there's a shot of a rocket flying through a window and exploding directly behind Michelle Rodriguez's character. Again, instant callback to BHD. The operatic action beats that BHD nailed so well are faithfully utilized by Jonathan Liebesman to deliver a satisfying and meaty action experience.

At first, you're just watching very blurry, dusty, murky... out of focus shots of the aliens, and you might start to worry and wonder and fret. I sure did. You're worried that they probably didn't have the budget to show the aliens in all their glory, and we'd just get quick glimpses of their features. Either the CGI technology wasn't good enough or convincing enough or they just couldn't afford to show it. Well, they quickly lay that fear to rest, because after the initial firefight, you do get to see the aliens in all their gooey, cybernetic glory. It feels like they learned from District Nine, with a mostly convincing and believable visual of CGI aliens fighting with real actors in a physical location. The film as a whole is not the thoughtful meditation that D9 was, but the borrowing of its impressive technical innovation is clearly on display.

I've mentioned Cloverfield, so we've gotta talk about the shaky cam. It's the most defining element of that film. How do they use it here? Well...the shaky cam does come on a bit strong. You need to strike a good balance, in order to capture that authentic in-the-moment experience, without overwhelming the audience with dizzying blurs that get annoying and nauseating. For the most part, the shaky cam makes sense, with the camera shaking around when the cameraman runs with the Marines to cover, or the jittering of a shaky chopper ride with turbulence. Those all make sense and the film gets better with it as it goes on.

However, the beginning of the film did annoy me with its shaky cam, simply because the scenes were all taking place before the invasion and there was no need for all the motion. Like, we're watching a scene of two guys talking in an office, with one of the guys telling the other that he's leaving the service. There's no need for that camera to wobble. Or watching a Marine walk toward a grave. Again, why is the camera wobbling so much? The cameraman is stationary, is he trembling for some reason? Are his nerves acting up? Does he have Parkinson's? It becomes distracting. Once the film moves past this prologue and gets right into the action, the shaky cam is mostly fine, except for the ride in the APC near the end of the film. At first I thought it was a Bradley, because they mentioned the Bushmaster 25mm chaingun, but it actually looks like a LAV, which makes sense as that's a Marine vehicle. That scene was in the dark and the cuts were so fast and shaky that you mostly just saw a lot of blurs and couldn't really tell what was happening. It really began to feel like some action scenes in Batman Begins. This is no good, when your audience notices that they aren't seeing enough and start to wonder exactly what's happening. That's when the shaky cam goes too far and fails as a visual technique.

An unavoidable aspect of the film that leaps to mind are the cliches. There are so many cliches in here, it's almost hard to count. Martinez, the hispanic Lt, says goodbye to his pregnant wife. Well, you know that guy's gonna die. Of course, he's a green Lt right out of school who doesn't have experience and requires the seasoned staff sergeant to help him out. There's a black marine with dorky glasses who's about to get married. Surprisingly, he doesn't die. The lines are pretty hilarious in how cliched and overused they are. Some examples like, "You are to kill anything that's not human!" and "That was some John Wayne **** you just pulled" and "Let it out. It's okay to cry. Your father was a brave man." I'm paraphrasing here from memory, so those lines may not be 100% accurate, but you get the general gist. It's a very well-trodden path here.
  45. ALF
    Sep 27, 2011
    At last a film which keeps it simple. A film in which the alien invaders do not succumb to computer viruses or how wonderfully together the world is. This film focuses on a small battle in a global conflict and stays there. The film critics as usual lack any intelligence or imagination to see this film is a small scale event with large scale implications in the war depicted. Thankfully the critics disliked it which helped me get it for rock bottom prices. Another own goal for the film industry courtesy of the film critics. The film industry would be better off banning critics from any screenings and allow the more savvy public to judge for themselves. Expand
  46. Sep 22, 2011
    What "Battle:LA" tries to portray is the aphorism "The easy day was yesterday". Well, guess what. Mission failed.
  47. Sep 18, 2011
    This is honestly one of the most incoherent, dreadfully stupid pieces of mindless "entertainment" you'll ever see. The visuals are atrocious, the action is filmed far too close in, the story is **** and the acting is terrible all around. **** this movie. **** its director. **** the actors. **** it all.
  48. Sep 15, 2011
    I'm not saying every blockbuster has to be original - let's face it, most aren't. But Battle: Los Angeles is beyond unoriginal, it's a cut-and-paste job of numerous far better movies, and it doesn't even try to hide it. You can quite easily sit in front of this film with a checklist of movie cliches and tick them off as they fly past in quick succession. It's not an irredeemable action flick by any means - the effects are reasonable, the set pieces competent, and Aaron Eckhart growls through his lines like the best of elite military heroes. With even a smidgen of originality, and more than a half-hearted attempt at character development, Battle: L.A. could have been a very fun, brainless thrill-ride. As it is, it's just brainless. Expand
  49. Sep 10, 2011
    The most flawed thing with this movie is it's length, and the whole Marine Propaganda thing. The problem with the length, is it felt like it was a good movie; 30 minutes to the end. And with that, I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel. However, the Marine Propaganda, is too cheesy for the 21st century... or even the 1960s for that matter. I support our troops, but this stuff would only be acceptable in the 1940s... But aside from those 2 problems, not a bad movie, just a really dragged out one. Expand
  50. Sep 8, 2011
    This movie maybe worth watching on DVD for free if you had nothing better to do and had watched every good sci-fi action movie in history and didnt want to watch any of them again. The characters and acting were poor and the aliens forgettable. Perhaps some of the action scenes were ok but this movie has been done better many times before. Pass
  51. Sep 7, 2011
    HAHAHA! "we're on our way to los angeles while i shake the camera for dramatic effect" dude, the camera is shaking while they're in an office. "maximum intensity as an old marine calmly resigns from the army." such a terrible movie.
  52. Sep 7, 2011
    At the time that i watched this it was absolutely amazing! Great visual effects, great action, great explosions. But when i watched it again it lost some of that, i think that this is more of an EPIC movie that is best the first time you watch it rather then a movie that you can watch a few times over and still love it just as much! But the story was un-explained and un-finished, horribly terrible.

Story: 2/10
    Visual Effects: 8/10
    Action: 8/10
  53. Sep 6, 2011
    Much ado about nothing, unfortunately. Don't get me wrong - I love movies about aliens - I think they're out there somewhere, and eventually we'll meet them - but until then, we'll just imagine them on screen, right? Battle: Los Angeles has such a great cast, how could it possibly go wrong? Aaron Eckhart, Bridget Moynahan and Michelle Rodriguez are NOT B movie actors - they are high-caliber Hollywood A-listers - right? Or so I thought when I saw the trailer... But after viewing the movie, I was actually quite angry, because Skyline actually did a better job with less money and NO A-list movie stars. Here's where Battle L.A. went wrong: It spent entirely too much time on character development, and not enough time fleshing out the aliens and their advanced technology. What is an alien invasion flick without aliens and special effects? The deceleration coronas that the spacecraft create before landing were probably the coolest things we saw - besides the energy weapons the aliens used. We are warned of impending danger. We see everyone gathered around their televisions, watching the earth-shattering, unbelievable news. Then, at the climactic moment, we see the aliens rising on the water and eventually taking the beachhead - all from far off - and we think we're in for a fun ride - that never quite takes off. Unfortunately, we are given no exposition regarding the origins of the aliens, and we don't really get a good look at them. We do, however, get a good look at the marines who fight them - and fight them - and fight them - inside their alien technology exoskeleton armor. "Where's the beef?" This movie works best as a Marine recruitment video - not as a special effects blockbuster. By the time the aliens were effectively repelled, I simply didn't care any longer - I just wanted the "Battle" to be over.

- Chipper F. Xavier, Esq.
  54. Sep 5, 2011
    This movie for me was a pleasant surprise !!! I came into this one thinking it was a standard alien invasion flick that wanted to give its own twist to thrill us. It does do this adequately for the first half of the movie but we've also seen this before in War of the Worlds and Independence Day. The intense battle scenes are also reminiscent of Blackhawk Down.

I thought this movie was
    made in the 2nd half. I thought it did an excellent job of showing the true heart of a warrior. I thought it did a great job showing soldiers sticking to a questionable and even impossible mission; this when the doubt is in the leadership as much as in the mission itself. I also thought that it showed that our military trying to fight takes as much brains as it does courage. I was inspired because while it offers no guarantees of sucess (and the movie shows that going into battle against an unknown and superior enemy there are none) it also shows that you should NEVER give up. We are told that our military is the best in the world. If what's shown in Aaron Eckard's Nantz character is in the heart of our military you will get a better ideal of why it is the best.

John Wayne is mentioned in the movie and this movie does show True Grit !!!
  55. Sep 5, 2011
    Pretty good basic alien invasion movie, much like independance day tell the story how Americans are the only ones that can defeat aliens kinda crap. Don't expect deep layers, but it's a fun time filler.
  56. Sep 3, 2011
    Dear lord. This was painful to watch. As some of the critics pointed out, one really wishes to see LA decimated and have some spectacular visuals, but B:LA fails even at that. Horrible screenplay, paper-thin dialogue, mediocre visual effects and rather bad acting across the board. Pointless story, mediocre visuals, poor acting: there is really not that much to look forward to in this film. Definitely a waste of time, but it was not absolutely abhorring, so it can get a 2. But even that is being rather generous. Expand
  57. Sep 1, 2011
    This movie is a classic no good remake of Independence day, with a touch of Terminator Salvation. Bad, Bad, Bad, and Bad...no excitement, dumbass plot, and bad work paramount
  58. Aug 28, 2011
    Battle: Los Angeles dismisses everything that filmmaking has taught us over the last century. There are the obvious dismissals in dumb action movies (character, coherent plotting, subtlety), and then there are the dismissals of everything we've come to evolve to in film (craft, focus, effort), and then there are the dismissals of the basic logic that we humans take for granted (vision, thought, sound, reason). This is not a film. This is a series of shots taken with a camera, that are spliced together to vaguely resemble some abortion of a faux-film. Expand
  59. Aug 24, 2011
    Watchable film but not great--kind of reminded me of a video game. Story kept my interest and the special effects were not terrible. Not a waste of time.
  60. Aug 24, 2011
    Just watched it on Blu-ray and.................i was surprised by how much better it is than the critics claim. Top notch effects, plenty of action and it never lets up from start to finish. The script could have been tighter and yes, it is full of cliches but its still a damn good, dumb fun 2 hour blast.
  61. Aug 24, 2011
    it`s one of those `been there,done that` type of movies but man its just great to watch.reminds me of Independence Day mixed with Saving Private Ryan and The Band Of Brothers. Great special effects and pace make this movie an easy on the eye and the mind flick, that will satisfy most of movie goers around the world.the plot it self is secondary to the fact that you`re being entertained for over 2hrs.
    its full of cliches, plot holes and so on but if you want to relax after a hard week at work,grab some popcorn,pull the blinds down,switch your mobile off and get ready for war!
  62. Aug 23, 2011
    I'm not sure why this movie got such terrible reviews from critics. It was a good sci-fi/action movie. The characters weren't totally developed, but that wasn't the entire purpose of the movie. The comradery that is eventually formed is very strong and a lasting message about what troops go together in times of war.
  63. Aug 23, 2011
    Que serait Call of Duty ou bien Ghost Recon en film? Cela donnerait sans conteste World Invasion : Battle Los Angeles (les extra-terrestres en plus). Du début jusqu'à la fin, ce film n'est qu'un entassement de clichés sur les militaires et le patriotisme américain que le cinéma hollywoodien nous rabâche sans cesse en boucle (comme pour Independence Day, sauf que ce dernier restait excellent). En somme, le film est sauvé par une mise en scène en béton, de très bons effets sonores, de bons effets visuels et de bons moments d'action (qui ne sont pas sans rappeler Il Faut Sauver Le Soldat Ryan). Un scénario bidon, mais un bon divertissement quand même, sans pour autant casser la baraque. Expand
  64. Aug 20, 2011
    None stop action that exactly this kind of movie needs ! Battle: Los Angeles had some problem with the script ans sound other then all was OK . Special Effects were amazing ans acting was good . Alain Invention should be like this but with more background information which "Battle: Los Angeles" Didn't have ! A strong Back story could make it a lot more better .

Story : 1.02 [loose
    Background Story]
    Directing : 1.32 [Not bad but not so good]
    Acting : 1.42 [Good specially Aaron Eckhart & Michelle Rodriguez ]
    Sound : 1.12 [Somewhere it was way too much unnecessary sound ]
    Edit & Effect : 1.62 [Most positive side]

OVERALL : 6.4
  65. Aug 14, 2011
    Absolutely Horrible "movie"! It is more like a badly produced video game, that literally will make you sick from bad camera work. The only thing that is worse than the elementary school drop-out writing, is the profoundly incompetent direction. I had high hopes from the trailers, but this would be a waist of money even for a dollar rental! Seriously!!!
  66. Aug 9, 2011
    A good movie yes but if you see it a second time, it's just not worth it! Sure it has a lot of action but it has a slightly strange plot. SS Nance: Oh my god, aliens are attacking Earth. Why are they here? (turns on T. V.)
    Scientist: We are starting to believe that the unknown want out water.
    SS Nance: Wtf?
  67. Aug 7, 2011
    I actually loved this movie. It reminded me of Black Hawk Down only with aliens. It could have used an R rating in my opinion to allow for some more graphic content but it was an intense, fun, action-packed movie. What more could you ask for in a movie called Battle L.A.? All in all it was a fun movie that I thoroughly enjoyed.
  68. Jul 23, 2011
    Battle: Los Angeles is a very good film. The movie reminds me a bit of a video game (e.g. Call of Duty) the way some scenes are played out. The story is very enjoyable to learn and the action scenes in the film are enjoyable to watch. My only problem with this film is the film could have gone into more detail about the invasion then just always just on the army. One thing is for sure, Battle: Los Angeles is way better then Skyline. I would give this a high matinee! Expand
  69. Jul 21, 2011
    I paid to see this with friends in a theatre when it came out. Oh my. Suffice to say, it's like watching any action movie you've ever seen before. Just minus any exceptional moments. Not worth seeing unless you enjoy generic rubbish with decent SFX.
  70. Jul 20, 2011
    Good effects yes, but it had no coherent plot and was made solely to be a long, explosive bit of fun. Because of that, it's pretty brilliant, and is much better than alien invasion films of the past...Independence Day certainly comes to mind...
  71. Jul 19, 2011
    I find it quite interesting how low rated this movie is JUST because it is a meddle of all-too-common subjects and cliches. People tend to forget that the best stories are often repeated to exhaustion every other year with a different tweak and a different cast, and they still go and clamor each title - yet, for this movie, "more of the same" was seen as negative. It has all the best elements of a good sci-fi, of a good drama, and of a good movie, and the fact it's long and try to engage you with the characters, while not that all successful, is a merit to this movie. Yes you have seen this movie before dozens of times with different names, but that's exactly why this is so good: it does not try to set itself apart from "all of those other invasion movies", instead, it munches all the good qualities and point of views together to make a WHOLE experience. It's not just the point of view of some survivors, not just the point of view of some mariners, not the point of view of the President, not even the point of view of a joe-doe with a camera - it's all of that, together, and with a fine print: the aliens MAKE SENSE, their goals MAKE SENSE, the strategies MAKE SENSE, and how mankind try to fight back MAKE SENSE - that, alone, sets this movie apart, and way above, most of the others. Perhaps it's too smart and logic to critics or the common viewer, but those looking for more, this is it, THE invasion movie, period. Why I rate it 9 and not 10? because the movie failed at MARKETING and telling people this movie was a different take on the invasion subject, and not just "another" invasion movie. Expand
  72. Jul 15, 2011
    I liked it. I wish I had seen it in the theater because all that motion is really a problem for my LCD television. Sure, there were a lot of cliques and some bad acting. But I liked and cared for the characters enjoyed the movie. One question I have, though: does anyone think France would really defend their country? They don't even have enough men or materials to fight an invasion like that.
  73. Jul 15, 2011
    Lets be honest Battle: Los Angeles is hardly a breakthrough movie, infact it doesn't offer anything that we haven't seen before but all the negativity shown towards it is really blown out of proprtion! Its not the best sci-fi, alien invasion movie i've ever seen but its far from the worst. The film begins with a mysterious objects, initially believed to be meteors crashing into some of the worlds biggest cities oceans however the objects turn out to be spacecraft carrying extra terrestials who have began attacks around the world. Set in modern day LA the film follows a platoon of US Marines fighting for Los Angeles. The one thing the film has in its favour is that it does seem realistic. The setting is stunning particuarly in showing a decimated LA where the action set-pieces work wonderfully and are the best features within the film as its explosion after explosion. Theres no real standout performances although Aaron Eckhart is good in the lead role not his finest hour but he puts in a solid enough performance. Overall, Battle: Los Angeles is hardly revolutionary and there have been better films under this genre (District 13) and it is a bit predictable as most people will have seen it all before however that doesn't make this a bad film. Visually its marvellous and the explosive shootouts are excellent. Won't be for everyone but for action/sci-fi fans you can't go wrong! Expand
  74. Jul 15, 2011
    ACTION PACKED YAWN-FEST!!! Been there, done that, GOT THE T.SHIRT!!! Even though the film is totally action packed, it is really BORING!!! I lasted about half way into it before the appeal of cleaning out my CAT'S LITTER TRAY became more appealing. I left my husband watching it, but came back to find him on his laptop. It is a classic GOD BLESS AMERICA cringe fest to top it off. PURE STINKING POO POO Expand
  75. Jul 14, 2011
    A two hour marine commercial. Everything cliche about war movies is present here with no exception it feels like. There's nothing exciting about this film except for a couple of well executed sequences and no one to really care for. I feel bad for Aaron Eckhart whose talents are wasted here. I think this movie will be completely watchable by gamers and I am definitely not one of them.
  76. Jul 12, 2011
    I didn't know they could fit so many cliches in one movie. It had it all! Love cliches! Military cliches! Hero cliches! And most importantly, old-fashioned sexism cliches! Hooray!
  77. Jul 10, 2011
    It boggles my mind that people give this drivel positive reviews. This movie is completely uninteresting and BORING. Oh but what about the special effects and the action? Sci- Fi channel grade at best. Not worth the dollar to rent from red box
  78. Jul 6, 2011
    OK, why do all alien armies, since Star Wars to today, always have a single point of failure. You can disable their entire military structure by just doing on thing. Can't we be more creative? Also, what's the deal with the handheld camera, even before the action starts. Example: There is a scene in a florist shop where a character is picking out wedding flowers and the camera is panning and bobbing around like were supposed to be in a war zone. Very annoying. Anyway, this is a standard alien invasion movie with cookie-cutter characters that we've all seen before. It tries to be different, but its not. Not a terrible movie, but not a good one. I'm glad I waited until this came out on TV. Expand
  79. Jul 4, 2011
    The movie that Independence Day should have been, but without the slapstick garbage! This movie is a Sci-Fi action action survival movie. I normally do not like this type of movie because they are usually made like Independence day. This is a tale of what it would be like, for the most part, to have aliens land on our soil. The movie is visually stunning. The acting is not as bad as one would have thought. The special effects are believable. If you are one who simply wants to be entertained, I believ Transformers 3 is playing in theatres right now. If you are looking for the first alien invasion that hits on all cylinders, take a peek. the bottom line being, if you love good movies, then you will love this. If you don't, you won't. I grow tired of the lack of imagination and the prude know it all when it comes to the creative mind in film making. There may be a Titanic 2 in your future. Expand
  80. Jul 3, 2011
    Not as bad as what the critics say, the only main problem with this film is its filled with long action set pieces causing the whole experience to be mind-numbingly long and tiring.
    However, Aaron Eckhart was a strong presence as the main character. Him and Michelle Rodriguez both have the sort of energy to keep this film just-above your normal alien invasion slash war movie.
    The Storyline
    of the Film: 40%
    Its basically a band of soldiers (lieutenants, officers, majors, etc) trying to find survivors while battling a bunch of extraterrestrial aliens. Not much of a story, just goals and missions.
    The C.G.I. of the Film: 70%
    Way, Way Better than Skyline. If you're going to make an alien invasion movie might as well go for the visuals instead of a story.
    Overall: 67%
    Not Bad but like what the critics say, "it feels like we're watching a video game."
    Anybody notice some of the similarities between this film and District 9?
  81. Jul 2, 2011
    I was rather impressed that with this genre the director and writer exhibited a great deal of restraint. If they had placed this scenario in Afghanistan or Iraq I suspect the critics would have been much kinder. At first I was expecting the worst and was pleasantly surprised. Even Aaron Eckhart was good.l
  82. Jul 2, 2011
    I walked into Battle Los Angeles hoping for a different alien invasion film. One that would be both creative yet action packed. I walked out somewhat happy. Battle Los Angeles in short, is the same ol' story you've heard 100's of times before. Aliens have come to planet Earth and they are not nice, they have one thing in mine, destruction of the human race. Enter Aaron Eckhart's character, (who for the life of me I can't remember the man's name) an old ravaged marine who has a notorious reputation for reasons I won't discuss (part of the story). But the thing is, Battle LA distinguishes itself from the alien film crowd because it feels more like a an action packed, adrenaline pumped, war flick. Put it this way, if you tried to combine Saving Private Ryan and Skyline, with the hand held camera of Cloverfield, you pretty much get Battle Los Angeles. (*hint* this movie is twenty times better than Skyline) From then on the story kicks off and gets very intense, heartpounding, and emotional. Most of the film coincides into absolutely brilliantly shot firefights and shootouts with a gritty and mature feel. And that's about it, Battle Los Angeles doesn't feature a story that will blow you out of the water, but incredible action sequences. However the acting in Battle LA is pretty good, mainly because of Aaron Eckhart, who absolutely outdoes himself on all accounts, only everybody will be thinking of Two Face when they see his character. There is however one very, very, very emotional moment where many loose ends are tied up and it ends in a bittersweet, sad, but beautiful moment where Aaron Eckhart delivers the speech of a lifetime. The last thing worth mentioning is the ending which leaves something to be desired. It's not that it's bad, it's just that you feel left robbed of an ending that actually "feels" like an ending, one that ties it up more. Overall Battle Los Angeles is the movie I was hoping for, but not as creative, story driven, or as much of an end of force I had hoped for. Expand
  83. Jul 1, 2011
    I waited and bought the blu-ray because the reviews were so poor when it was in the theaters, fortunately the movie was much better than critics reviews. The special effects and sound were excellent, lots of well made, intense action sequences, mostly ground troops vs alien battles. The battle sequences are very reminiscent of the type seen in Saving private Ryan or Band of Brothers except the enemies are aliens instead of nazi's. A very fast pace from beginning to the end. The only real let down for me was the beginning because it could have been so much better, very little time was devoted to the aliens landing on earth and being seen for the first time, within minutes of the start of the film, Los Angeles is almost decimated, aliens ae briefly seen on a fuzzy tv news report marching and you are thrown into the action with almost no build up. I would have liked to have seen the aliens emerge after some erie and/or creepy start. After the first 15 minutes the characters start to develop. Definitely not a 10 but a solid 8. Expand
  84. Jul 1, 2011
    This was a boring film that continually lost my interest. It seemed like it dragged on. Apart from the special effects, this movie is worthless. There were a few moments that kept me in it. Towards the end one you thought "victory" was upon the human race, the large space shuttle arose from the ashes apparently stronger than ever. I, at the point, just wanted the movie to end.
  85. Jun 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hmm... well, i'll give credit where credit is due. Its pretty, the movie looks like a Michael Bay lite version of a war movie. Thats the only good thing i can say about this awful collection of war movie cliches. The characters feel hollow and expendable (when one specific marine dies, thats when everyone has the "omg we're in a war" look, way over halfway into the movie when the entire city and half of the american fighting force in the area is dead), and every skirmish feels underwhelming. Theres so many things wrong with this movie, even tactically; why would you send a black hawk in to extract your team and civillians when the enemy has annihilated your entire air force division in the area? Marines are trained to shoot the torso, which is the alien's weakness, yet they have to discover this already trained tactic to survive? If you drive in a huge orange bus throughout the second largest city in the country dont you think the enemy will see you? Perhaps i overthought the tactics of the movie, so you might say "just take it as a summer blockbuster," yet, even with that, its awful. The "last stand" event is a nearly frame for frame remake of the ending battle of saving private ryan, and war movie cliches abound; wounded men shout and argue with their commanding officers to leave them behind, the black guys always die first, nothing bad happens to the children (well admittedly, one has his father killed), men with deep husky voices come out of epic explosions unscathed, its rediculous. This is nothing more than Marine propaganda with aliens based loosely on the actual battle of los angeles during world war 2. Expand
  86. Jun 25, 2011
    I get a lot of movies from Red Box and I wasn't expecting a lot, but this movie really surprised me. It is great sci fi alone, but as an army infantry vet - I couldn't get over how legit it was as a military film. I absolutely loved it!! My only complaint is why do we force our films to include female soldiers in combat roles?
  87. Jun 23, 2011
    For me, this is a tough one to judge. I am usually drawn into Alien Invasion movies so my opinion may be bias. The adrenaline this movie gives you is incredible. That said, that was all it really gives you. Continual action and suspense, and no memorable moments. It hits you when you are watching the movie thinking, "hey, this is great!", but when its over, you can't remember any great parts. Nothing more than a satisfactory alien movie. Expand
  88. Zri
    Jun 22, 2011
    I'm quite surprised by the generally negative attitude toward this movie. While it's nothing particularly original, I think it does a lot of things right. I look upon it as Independence Day without a lot of the overly sentimental American overtones (ok, it still has a lot of military gung ho attitude, but it's an alien war movie, let's be realistic). With that attitude, I think it's a much more successful movie, and thus very watchable and enjoyable. Worth seeing. Expand
  89. Jun 18, 2011
    This movie is garbage. Its like a garbage bag filled with **** Being a fan of sci-fi action movies Battle Los Angeles interested me, but 40 minutes in i decided it was garbage. A steaming pile of garbage and ****
  90. Jun 16, 2011
    Probably this is the loudest movie i have ever seen in years. The storyline is predictable but the action sequence and survival battle caught my attention.
  91. Jun 15, 2011
    Too much action, not enough plot. This takes a ton away from the movie as it is. There's no nail biting suspense because there's no story in the first place. All you see is straight gun fire, violence, and nothing at all productive. Basically the plot is very stagnant with nowhere to go. Even the action scenes are poorly made. CG's is equivalent to that of a college student and not a paid professional. Even National Geographic knows CG better than this. In my opinion this movie is basically a low-budget film, with no intention of becoming a masterpiece and shouldn't be watched unless you enjoy heavy gunfire and not much else. Expand
  92. Jun 14, 2011
    I thought it was good. Like others have said, if you are looking for an Oscar-winner, this isn't your movie. If, however, you want a sweet USA kicking some alien ass-type movie, then this is a great film.
  93. Jun 12, 2011
    This is a great movie, but it has nothing you haven't seen before. The story is somewhat realistic and believable, if a bit sparse. The dialogue is not the best, even atrocious at some points. Characters aren't well developed, as I never grew attached to any of them. But overall, a great alien invasion story.
  94. Jun 4, 2011
    Don't believe the cynics, they've seen to much or not enough. There's a reason for war movie cliche's. Because when you're backed up against a wall fighting for your life you don't have the lexicon of most Harvard scholars. I don't expect that in fiction or real life. Anyway, it was just a great movie with 200% from the writer, actors, director, and everyone else involved right up to the marketing folks. Hope there is a sequel or two, and soon. Expand
  95. Jun 1, 2011
    Character development was pretty glib, plot was mildly watered down, but it actually was a moderately decent military flick, minus the aliens . . . I think that aaron eckhart is a good actor, and enjoy most of his work, and he passed for a decent marine in this movie. My only problem was that the story didn't really pan out in the end.
  96. May 31, 2011
    A excellent squad based action movie. Whilst the characters aren't heavily fleshed out, the film still works. Remember this is an action movie, and its tense, hard hitting and fun. AND can be as cliche'd as it get's, I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

If you like sci fi , action and military films, this will go straight up your flagpole !
    The alien tech , consisting of acid and phosphor
    based rounds, is quite naturally vastly superior to the human tech and as such, mankind gets its backside handed to it royally.

The film follows a squad of US marines as they try to extricate themselves from the heart of an invasion zone after an inexperienced officer leads them into an ambush.
    They have to fight for every foot of ground,and pay heavily all the way.

Ignore the naysayers. It's an action movie, and as such isn't there to win oscars. It's there to entertain.
    It does this successfully.

I'll be buying this on Bluray when it's released

An unequivocal and well earned 8/10. .
  97. May 31, 2011
    Been there, done that. As a hardcore sci-fi fanboy, I was disappointed with this film. There is nothing new here other than maybe the alien's need for water. The story unapologetically demands that it's audience gives it the benefit of the doubt on important plot elements. The action and effects are fairly good and AE gives a decent performance, but ultimately this one is just another kernel in the popcorn bag. Expand
  98. May 29, 2011
    It is really worthy for the special effects, the non-stop action and the idea is that as cliché. A super blockbuster! The sameness may be present in the roadmap showing every soldier, his bravery and patriotism, as always ... blah blah blah but you know what? It never hurts to watch! It is the vision of the director on YOUR choice to show some LA soldiers before a battle towards ET's. Or you guys were expecting a 10 hour film which show various views the world and your soldiers? The scenes, photographs, takes, these have a lot of CG is visually amazing! Brilliant! The Americans know how to show patriotism, unity, emotion, technology, performance and special effects. Great actors and a good choice to end. My "Four Thumbs Ups" by the art of the blockbuster film! Pure fun and wonder! Expand
  99. May 22, 2011
    Nice war/action picture but not so good as a sc-fi movie. Entertaining beginning and pretty good special effects. Later the movie gets predictable and I got the "I have seen this before" effect. There are some unnecessary or even stupid moments in it but overall impression is OK.
    If you liked Independence Day or War of the Worlds you will like this one too.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Mar 14, 2011
    A lot more fun than bludgeoning, soul-draining follies like "Terminator Salvation" or the "Transformers" films, and, with a decisive trim, it could truly have fulfilled its brief as a bright, semi-abstract pop fantasy, at once excitable and disposable. Oddly, it did once exist in that form: in the first trailer.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Mar 12, 2011
    The shaky-cam as used in "Cloverfield" and the Paul Greengrass "Bourne" films, and in TV shows from "NYPD Blue" to "24" to "The Office," is worse than amateurism; it's fake amateurism, the visual equivalent of a comedian pretending to have Parkinson's.
  3. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Mar 12, 2011
    Pretty much cardboard, down to the heroic patriotic speeches, and less distinctive even than last year's scarcely stellar "Skyline," which trashed the same city. Things blow up good and Eckhart is a classier actor than his role warrants, but we've all been here before.