8.2

1. Jun 30, 2014
    Battle Royale: 10/10: Another classic is born. A fantastic combination of classical music and ultra-violence like a Japanese Clockwork Orange. Here is one Japanese film the major studios will not be remaking anytime soon.

The plot consists of a junior high school class sent to a deserted island, given weapons that vary in usefulness, and are ordered to kill each other. Oh and they have
    those exploding collars that are ubiquitous in sci-fi films today so if they don't kill all their classmates everyone dies.

The actors are actual kids and the film turns the bloody up to eleven. Add in child suicide, child prostitution, patricide, and worst of all basketball and you have yourself a winner.

Battle Royale falls solidly in the category of Dawn of the Dead or Kill Bill where it transcends its obvious pulp and horror appeal and says larger things about life as a whole.

But who am I kidding non-stop action, hot chicks in schoolgirl outfits, very dark humor and a great classical music score. Kind of like She's All That if Freddy Prinze Jr. killed a classmate every two minutes then had his head blown off by remote control. Throw in Anna Paquin dismembering Rachael Leigh Cooke with a fondue fork and that should give you the picture.

Man that movie would rule… Sorry went all fan boy there for a minute. Battle Royale has deep things to say about society and is an important landmark film. It is also a great movie if you like this kind of thing you sick bastard.
  2. Jun 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Astonishing psychological thriller. Highly entertaining and certainly deserves the praise. One must have a whole lot of bravery and courage to watch this film, as it contains many disturbing scenes, but what I like about this film is how Kinji Fukasaku, the director executed this film.

A perfect example of true action and sacrifice, I have not seen such a perfect execution of such a terrific and horrifying plot. Battle Royale focuses on the near future, where countries around the world, in which have been somehow intervened by the west, follows the 'Battle Royale Act'. Set in Modern Day Japan, the act presents itself every year to a group of students who are set to have the task of killing each other, until the last person survives.

An act to repudiate western countries laws, they choose to defy the lives of others, by kidnapping children and sending them to war with each other. Noriko has nobody to trust except for her close classmate, Shuyu Nanahara, in which both of them fight side by side to overcome impending danger. The success of the film had to rely on how the director chooses to focus on all the subordinate characters almost equally with the exception of Noriko and Shuyu, as they were the main characters of the film.

It is a dream for a director to be able to achieve such a film with a moderate budget like that. If you haven't watched it, you should go rent it, because this is what action movies are suppose to be like. Kinji Fukasaku is like the Japanese Quentin Tarantino, and for this he deserves a cookie.

My only doubts would lay on the fact that the ending was a bit iffy with the two so called fugitives of the state, with them popping out of downtown Tokyo. I understand the budget of the film, and so I won't whine too much about the ending.

Overall, this film is something that would stick in my mind for the next few years, just something very relevant to our modern day society. People often mistaken the meaning behind this film, thus arguing that this film was totally horrid. I believe that this film sends the message to young viewers about the lack of empathy we have for others. Our society is changing, and by that, we need to realize that we are evolving into a self-embodiment world. This film provides the basis for us to reflect upon ourselves; to see the discreet message and how it is somehow related to us.
  3. Jan 31, 2014
    Well worth the time to watch this flick and good chance you will watch it again. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Gooooooooooooooooooooooood.
  4. Nov 3, 2013
    Battle Royale contains some really excellent acting from its child stars. The film is overall incredibly well done and each character and their relationships are portrayed very thoroughly.
  5. Oct 5, 2013
    One of the best films of all time, thrilling, entertaining, controversial and exciting all at the same time. This makes Hunger Games looks like a kitten compared to this royal lion of a movie.
  6. Jun 25, 2013
    Battle Royale is again a film that proves Japanese Cinema is force to contend with...

Based on a controversial Manga (Which I've never read), The story is about how in this day and age the old japan is dying and the youth are rebelling and viciously attacking their elders, in order to teach them something (Again i don't know what this is suppose to teach) every year a class of 40-odd
    students are kidnapped, taken to an island and forced to kill each other until one is standing, also they are wearing bracelets around their neck which if they do not succeed in this task (they have 3 days) all of those bracelets will explode.

Kinda like "Lord of the Flies" if Japan had to take a stab at it. two things make you wonder...

1. What does this prove?

2. What did the consent forms for this trip look like? (I Hereby give my Son/Daughter e.t.c).

Suddenly when the game kicks off nothing matters, what sounds like an absolute bloodbath (which it is) actually becomes a very well thought out movie.

We see kids that band together, go solo, commit suicide but the main thing is that we actually get to see "the kids", the film flesh's each one out and every character has been very well though out and each have a great personality

The pacing is brilliant, famous Classical music is heard throughout the movie as well as a couple of obvious japanese songs, and the actors are brilliant as these Students.

It's actually STUNNING how good every child actor in this movie is, everyone is doing something and it works...

One of the saddest scenes that really get to me is "The lighthouse" Scene, not to give to much away but it shows such an awesome coalition of people coming together, "True Friends", that ultimately ends up in Tragedy...

Final Verdict: Tarantino said this is his favourite movie to come out since he became a director... GOOD CHOICE, because really you have to see this, it was nominated BEST PICTURE at the Japan Academy Awards.

But Ultimately "Battle Royale" is superb Movie that is truly deserving of the statement "Only In Japan".
  7. Mar 6, 2013
    Battle Royale is truly one of my favorite films of all time. It's exciting, sad and full of half hidden messages about society, culture and the value of innocence. Better yet, for a film so soaked in blood thirsty action scenes, Battle Royale comes off feeling distinctly 'anti-violence'.
  8. Oct 8, 2012
    where to start,this is absolutely a thrilling teenage killing masterpiece by Kinji Fukasaku. Best thing is that all the melodramatic turns between teenagers about their friendship,love and sacrifice,quite make it as semi psycho-thriller. the violent and breathtaking scenes with political set-up really steals the show. this is first japanese movie i have ever seen,feeling like it is the best. I always knew japan is a great country but never knew that they are this good with cinema.now i am gonna search over and watch every japanese good movie. Thumbs up to all the cast and the crew who made this. 素晴らしい仕事の連中 Expand
  9. May 31, 2012
    This is a great film by director Kinji Fukasaku. This is a must see for fans of Asian horror genre. The story is fantastic and shows how quickly the human condition can decay and decisions that sometimes have to be made to preserve your life.
  10. May 28, 2012
    So kids you know Hunger Games, well this film blows it out of the water. This will go down as a cult classic. Beware your parents might flip kinda hardcore, not your standard hollywood twilight show here. Be sure to see the original as all knockoffs are crap.

1. Reviewed by: Sara Stewart
    May 25, 2012
    This one's a thoroughly campy exercise in teen melodrama and Grand Guignol gore (how gory? it's one of Quentin Tarantino's favorite movies), the other (The Hunger Games) a straight-faced action picture.
  2. Reviewed by: A.O. Scott
    May 24, 2012
    American fans of "The Hunger Games" may not embrace - or even be permitted to see - Battle Royale, which is too bad. It is in many ways a better movie and in any case a fascinating companion, drawn from a parallel cultural universe. It is a lot uglier and also, perversely, a lot more fun.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    May 24, 2012
    Departing from two decades' worth of domestic and personal dramas and returning to his roots as Japan's maestro of mayhem, Kinji Fukasaku has delivered a brutal punch to the collective solar plexus with one of his most outrageous and timely films.