4.6

1. Jul 15, 2012
    I was REALLY looking forward to this movie, but Rihanna ruins it. She was a terrible actress (not surprising, considering she's a singer), and her constant ad-libbing ruined the immersion and made me groan. The only reason to go see this movie is for some cool-looking effects, and if that's all it takes to entertain you, you are either six years old or Micheal Bay.
  2. Oct 7, 2012
    This was a good movie, based on the board game. Had some good action moments, but still left alot to be desired as far as a plot. The movie idea (based on a ship) made the ability to have action and a plot very limited. Still a decent job was done with what was available.
  3. Aug 8, 2012
    The plot did seem a little flimsy, however overall I did enjoy watching the movie, the relationship between the main Japanese character and the main American character was hilarious while still very buddy-like.
  4. Sep 23, 2012
    "There is no way they can ***¨this movie!Its just a movie based on a war board game!it will be a movie about of war of course!" That is what i tought.oh boy was i wrong.Instead they gave me a **** movie with an absurd story,bad actors,lame development,and lets not forget the thing that f*** it all since the beggining,ALIENS!!!ON A MOVIE BASED ON A SIMPLE ESTRATIGIC WAR GAME!!!!GOD!!!!!!!
  5. Oct 4, 2012
    battle scenes were spectacular and alien battleships looked astoundingly cool. but i wished there were more larger scale of combat scenes which i really enjoyed in the movie.
    It was like terran vs protoss struggle in sc2 and alien faces were very scary! LOL
  6. Oct 8, 2013
    Characters in this movie are portrayed in the following way: they're navy officers in the line of duty. No more, no less; which makes this movie have undeniably good visuals, effects, and sound design, but characters that are so poorly developed that they're completely foreign to the audience. This movie also completely neglects the plot that supposedly exists in the movie, so we as theCharacters in this movie are portrayed in the following way: they're navy officers in the line of duty. No more, no less; which makes this movie have undeniably good visuals, effects, and sound design, but characters that are so poorly developed that they're completely foreign to the audience. This movie also completely neglects the plot that supposedly exists in the movie, so we as the audience are still left completely unknown as to the aliens' intentions. So by completely neglecting the plot and the character development that should be in it, it stops Battleship from being one of the better action movies. Expand
  7. Feb 23, 2013
    People give "Cabin in the Woods" a good rating, but hate this? Come on people lol I thought it was a fun movie. They could get rid of some of the bad humor in the beginning, but thankfully they did not stick to them like I thought they would, so the movie was good. Yeah, some things are over the top, but it`s a fun movie full of action!!!!
  8. Feb 16, 2014
    To be honest, this movie was better than I expected it to be (which isn't saying much.)

The story is almost pointless and serves little purpose other than to be just one cliched plot device after another. But the action and the effects are really top rate. Overall: A pretty much pointless movie, but it is fun to watch. Side Note: My hats off for the creators managing to actually

Overall:
    A pretty much pointless movie, but it is fun to watch.

Side Note:
    My hats off for the creators managing to actually tie it to the board game with the movie's version of "Battleships." As brief as it was, I did think that was kinda funny.
  9. Mar 3, 2013
    Stop it. This was a GOOD MOVIE. I have no idea why people are saying its bad. I'll honestly say the action didn't have the best effects but they really worn't too bad. But the plot was a little ''awkward''. But overall an okay movie.
  10. Mar 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What this movie lacked in substance made up for it in heart. How can you not enjoy Veterans coming back to help save this earth from an alien invasion. Not a great movie but certainly not terrible. The comic relief saved this film. Expand
  11. Mar 19, 2013
    I gave this a 6 because I was entertained. Lets get this out of the way the main thing about this film is finding out what the thing is, they aren't developing characters its just a film about finding out what it is. I tell you some parts become boring, but like Sucker Punch when that action kicks in you won't be able to take your eyes away. Rihanna yeah she was good in this. I can say itI gave this a 6 because I was entertained. Lets get this out of the way the main thing about this film is finding out what the thing is, they aren't developing characters its just a film about finding out what it is. I tell you some parts become boring, but like Sucker Punch when that action kicks in you won't be able to take your eyes away. Rihanna yeah she was good in this. I can say it entertained me more then "Transformers, Revenge of the Fallen. Twilight, Avatar, The Last Airbender, Dont Be Afraid of the Dark, The Hunger Games) Expand
  12. Mar 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. If you are looking for some mindless action, Battleship is for you. Yes, the acting and plot sucked but I was mildly entertained the whole time. I thought the way they played up the board game grid was kind of cool and just reminded me of being a kid and playing battleship. The aliens were a little Transformers rip offs but they were still cool to watch. Was this movie fantastic, absolutely not but I have seen worse. Collapse
  13. Apr 4, 2013
    Battleship packs itself with action but still reserves some time for relationships between characters to be explored and for some very funny moments. Liam Neeson's performance is believable and engaging, however, the inclusion of many other characters such as that of Rhianna's just feel unnecessary and forced. The CGI, which probably takes up half the movie, is near-flawless and some ofBattleship packs itself with action but still reserves some time for relationships between characters to be explored and for some very funny moments. Liam Neeson's performance is believable and engaging, however, the inclusion of many other characters such as that of Rhianna's just feel unnecessary and forced. The CGI, which probably takes up half the movie, is near-flawless and some of the ideas used in the story are new and stop it becoming as predictable as some might expect. As a whole, the movie cannot be taken seriously and is so cheesy in parts that people may actually have to look away to avoid dying of awkwardness, but for what it is, Battleship is a quality Sci-Fi action movie. Expand
  14. Jul 25, 2013
    I didn't like this film, the acting was bad and the plot! What plot? This made Transformers look good, not Rise of the Fallen, fortunately the visuals were spectacular and I can't deny that some of the action scenes were great but the rest of the movie was so stupid and just unbearable. This is what I imagine Teenagers will enjoy...It's bad.
  15. May 19, 2013
    I would rather play the battleship board game than watch this garbage!!!! NUFF said.I would rather play the battleship board game than watch this garbage!!!! NUFF said.I would rather play the battleship board game than watch this garbage!!!! NUFF said.I would rather play the battleship board game than watch this garbage!!!! NUFF said.
  16. Jun 14, 2014
    Hahahahahahahahahaha. The entire movie was nothing more than a huge USA ego trip. Stupid story, boring characters and worst of all you wanna sell me a story that the entire navy of the world that was gathered there for these games couldn't stop the alien ships but some old battleship rotting in the docks could. Are you f****** kidding me? Urgh, I can't believe I actually watched this c***.
  17. May 6, 2013
    Well they tried making the story good and interesting but maybe they should have just concentrated on the action more rather than trying and failing on story development. Transformer ripoff gone wrong.
  18. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was actually surprised by this film. I was expecting a god awful film. I got a very average film though. The pieces are there for Battleship. It has potential. It does need some things to change though (The soccer scene, no main character dying, freaking Rihanna) but overall this is actually a pretty decent film. I'd like to see them take another crack at this film, because with a few changes, this could be a very good film. Expand
  19. Aug 30, 2013
    what I liked was it had really epic cgi effects and it is good as transformer 1 the movie with there very good cgi effects and what I did not like was where did the alien comes from and abrupt ending its was rushed on and I hope for battleship 2
  20. Jul 16, 2013
    This film reminded me non-stop of Transformers. In fact sometimes I even thought I WAS watching transformers.

When it comes to films action and military are one of my tops, however that's all that was good in this. The visual effects were amazing, they also had some great actors, however the story was generic, overly cliche and because of that just a tad boring. However some of the script is great and funny in parts, plus the portrayal of the military in this film was pretty damn good.

Recommend watching as a rental and then decide if you want to buy.
  21. Jul 12, 2014
    This movie blows my mind of, truly one of the most awesome film's of 2012!

This movie blows my mind of, truly one of the most awesome film's of 2012!

This film got everything from a massive amount of action, great CGI and a touching soundtrack to awesome actors and spectacular science fiction. I totally love the mix between the navy and alien encounters, so unique and so original. I got to say, the first time I saw this film I was like WOW, how awesome isn't this film, and I know it doesn't got a high rating, but I totally love this movie, it's so damn good. I really enjoyed the special effects, especially the lens flares, and the movie overall got a fantastic story. It's not a 10, because it didn't feel as a 10, and there are some mistakes the director (who I never have heard of before) did, and the ending could have been better.

Battleship is a damn awesome and cool movie, that really deserves a high score.

Battleship gets a 9/10
  22. Jul 29, 2013
    Micheal Bay directed this with astral projection. so many pointless sequences Bad actors all except for Liam Neeson Dumb story trying to cater to bimbos who don't no sci fi.
  23. Aug 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The entire movie is a big joke. Despite the great FXs, the script is unintelligent and focuses mostly on how the american navy can defeat alien space ships who crossed light years in just a short time period and passed through the entire atmosphere of the planet intact. There are also many plot holes. For example the aliens do not try to kill humans until the humans attack them first. The movie gives no scientific explanation for the alien technology, which is made of a non existent material. In addition, the characters can definitely guess the alien biology by looking at animals on earth. There is literally no character development and the movie is so cliche that I could personally guess the entire plot from the start: The Hero saves the world and takes the girl. Finally, the aliens, who by the way have no character development, are simply there for awesome FX and for the american navy to show off. It appears that sci-fi of today prefers extraterrestrial beasts to fleshed out aliens, because they are easier to shoot at rather than "people" you can relate to. Finally, Battleship is a disgrace to the entire Sci-fi genre and disregards all of the aspects that made sci-fi successful. Expand
  24. Nov 26, 2013
    It has its good action scenes, but when it comes to the acting, it has no way of ever being good. It has many dialogue that doesn't fit in with the theme, and has such a terrible and random destruction scene. I would recommend saving your money for a movie worth watching.
  25. Nov 16, 2013
    COMPLETE movie.

I've heard some people talk about battleship in a way of it's so bad it's good or it's a fun goofy bad, but it's not like that whatsoever, it's just complete When it's not throwing cringe-worthy jokes and horrible acting, which isn't even amusing in a bad way, it's putting you to sleep. I honestly was having a hard time staying awake in the middle area of the movie.
    COMPLETE movie.

Absolutely horrible.
  26. Mar 7, 2014
    This movie wasnt awful, but it wasnt particularly good either. A dumb plot with lack of actual ship fights holds this movie down until the end where the USS Missouri fights the motherhship. I can usually accept a bad plot and stuff when it's supposed to be non stop unrealistic action, and this is no exception. I don't love it, I don't hate it, it's just a generic summer blockbuster; mostlyThis movie wasnt awful, but it wasnt particularly good either. A dumb plot with lack of actual ship fights holds this movie down until the end where the USS Missouri fights the motherhship. I can usually accept a bad plot and stuff when it's supposed to be non stop unrealistic action, and this is no exception. I don't love it, I don't hate it, it's just a generic summer blockbuster; mostly action, with little originality plot wise. Expand
  27. Feb 10, 2014
    If you like action films packed will explosive special effects then Battleship will blow you away. In this film the explosions are even more realistic than the ones in 12 Rounds.
    But the film isn't always great, the beginning does lack in action. And the film also gives the viewer a bit too much information at the beginning. This is bad because it can cause the viewer to become confused and lose interest. Although the beginning makes up for its lack of action by introducing a very funny shop-lifting scene. The lack of action at the beginning also gives the film a chance to introduce the characters and the plot, which is good because this helps the viewer to feel more involved in the film.
    The film is about a group scientists who create a device that allows them to communicate with a planet that is similar to ours. But when they do communicate the planet sends five spaceships that are armed with guns and aliens, to our planet. Luckily the ship that is used to communicate crash lands into Hong Kong and is destroyed so now the four remaining ships have to use our device to communicate, with their home planet, which can only send one message per day.
    The other four ships land in the middle of the ocean where they are soon met by a group of Navy Destroyer ships.
    As I said before, the film does lack in action at the beginning but once the action starts it doesn't stop. The action starts when the Navy Destroyer ships meet the spaceships in the middle of the ocean. In this scene special effects are used to show how advanced the aliens' weapons are. Also in this scene slow-motion effects are used to show how close some of the explosives are to hitting the navy ships.
    As well as explosive action scenes this film also has some great fight scenes. I think the best fight scene is when one of the aliens gets on one of the Navy Destroyer ships and in order to stop their ship from sinking the soldiers have to fight the alien. The thing that makes the fight interesting is that the alien is an armoured suit and the soldiers don't have any armour on at all. The scene also keeps the viewer interested with some comedy and an explosive ending.
    But this fight scene is nothing compared to my favourite scene which is near the end of the movie, when the remaining soldiers are forced to use a 70 year-old battleship to fight against one of the spaceships. This scene is great because it builds up suspense by showing how advanced the aliens' weapons are and also when the captain of the ship, Alex Hopper (Taylor Kitsch), uses a unique technique to fight against the aliens, which builds up suspense.
    I would recommend this film to anyone who like action films with great special effects, comedy and suspense and I would rate this film 9 out of 10.
  28. Oct 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just watched this fantastic mess. I always love the premise of a movie that attempts to reconcile what would happen "if". In this case, what would happen if we were visited by a hostile other worldly species with technology far superior than our own. Answer: (spoiler alert) A group of geriatric world war II veterans bring a mothballed battleship out of retirement. The number of holes in the sinking destroyers cannot match the number of holes in this plot. I don't mind suspending disbelief in order to enjoy a movie. But this one will insult your intelligence. Liam Neeson will NOT be putting this one on his resume. Expand
  29. Nov 23, 2014
    La película empieza de forma normal, después empieza a tornarse a su historia correspondiente, pero luego se pierde de su relato original y se va a un decline desfavorable, aunque cabe mencionar que logra entretener.
  30. Apr 22, 2014
    A really boring movie. It was a cool concept but it didn't work for me. I am a big action movie fan and all of the action scenes in this movie I found really boring. They were supposed to keep you entertained with those action scenes as there were so many of them but it didn't do its job well. Also there was sub par acting so it is also a bad movie in that sense.
  31. Jun 9, 2014
    This movie has some exciting action scene, but it is just extremely boring. The plot is so retarded. I can't believe I spent money to watch this. Not only the movie is bad, the game is even worse than it. I am not going to purchase anything with the word "Battleship" on it again.
  32. Nov 5, 2014
    I was trying to decide between a 6 or a 7 because the storyline was non-existent. What saved the movie IMO was the special effects and the action within the movie. It had some good actors/actresses in it as well, but overall the movie had no spark to it. I would recommend watching it, because it's an interesting movie, especially if you like action/military stuff, but other than that it'sI was trying to decide between a 6 or a 7 because the storyline was non-existent. What saved the movie IMO was the special effects and the action within the movie. It had some good actors/actresses in it as well, but overall the movie had no spark to it. I would recommend watching it, because it's an interesting movie, especially if you like action/military stuff, but other than that it's just another regular movie, nothing spectacular. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 22, 2012
    The story, by brothers Erich and Jon Hoeber, who also penned the clever, quippy, aging-assassin movie "Red," is cleverer and quippier than it has any reason to be, even if it makes not the remotest sense.
    One of the more enjoyably terrible movies of the year.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 18, 2012
    The script is replete with howlers. My favorite, from Kitsch, after the aliens strike: "I've got a bad feeling about this." Indeed.