4.7

1. May 27, 2012
    I have no idea what went through the mind of the studio execs who green-lighted this movie. "Hmm you know that old game Battleship where you launch attacks at each other, let's make a movie out of that". I mean really? really? I feel that the actors, director etc all gave it their best shot but when they had nothing to work with in the first place the result is a mess like this movie.I have no idea what went through the mind of the studio execs who green-lighted this movie. "Hmm you know that old game Battleship where you launch attacks at each other, let's make a movie out of that". I mean really? really? I feel that the actors, director etc all gave it their best shot but when they had nothing to work with in the first place the result is a mess like this movie. They'd probably be able to make a much better movie using Monopoly than Battleship. Heck even "Guess Who?" would probably make a much better movie. Have it be a show about a gameshow or something. Expand
  2. Aug 29, 2012
    Basically a big a explosion jerkfest which i was expecting but with Liam neason in it who is such a great actor and has been in so many great films. i figured this should be atleast a decent SciFi flick . unfortunitly his role is so very very small and even if he had a big role it wouldn't have helped the extremely watered down plot thats pretty dull. The acting is sub par and the pacingBasically a big a explosion jerkfest which i was expecting but with Liam neason in it who is such a great actor and has been in so many great films. i figured this should be atleast a decent SciFi flick . unfortunitly his role is so very very small and even if he had a big role it wouldn't have helped the extremely watered down plot thats pretty dull. The acting is sub par and the pacing at the start is sluggish considering it does such a horrid job establishing any thing outside of horrably trying to have a few funny moments that fall flat on there face . The only fun moments come from the action which even then isn't the greatest but its ok. The CGI does look pretty good . Its a Popcorn flick but unfortunitly not a very good one. Expand
  3. Aug 16, 2012
    I can see why this film wasn't a raving succes: it's just too ridiculous! Why aren't the aliens using energy weapons, they would have won easily? Why do we have to watch retirement folks battle on a museum ship? Why are those aliens so stupid and pacifistic? Why is Taylor Kitsch such a bad actor who makes bad script lines even worse? As you can tell, not a very good film, though the VFXI can see why this film wasn't a raving succes: it's just too ridiculous! Why aren't the aliens using energy weapons, they would have won easily? Why do we have to watch retirement folks battle on a museum ship? Why are those aliens so stupid and pacifistic? Why is Taylor Kitsch such a bad actor who makes bad script lines even worse? As you can tell, not a very good film, though the VFX are pretty good but that's about the only reason why you would want to see this film :) Expand
  4. Sep 7, 2012
    Going into Battleship I expected a cliche movie and putting myself into the mood of mindless stupid loud action and that's exactly what I got. It was entertaining to a certain point. From the scene where Taylor Kitsch and his crew team up with the old "badass" veterans till the end was more entertaining than the rest of the movie. Cheesy? Yes, but watchable for only one time. It wasn't tooGoing into Battleship I expected a cliche movie and putting myself into the mood of mindless stupid loud action and that's exactly what I got. It was entertaining to a certain point. From the scene where Taylor Kitsch and his crew team up with the old "badass" veterans till the end was more entertaining than the rest of the movie. Cheesy? Yes, but watchable for only one time. It wasn't too bad, though it's definitely not a memorable-good-time kind of movie . Expand
  5. Dec 11, 2012
    This was absolutely not the worst movie I have ever seen, which was a pleasant surprise. It was actually OK. Not Good mind you, but ok. Acting was flat and the premise was close to retarded, but the scenes flowed smoothly and the dialog (for an alien invasion sci fi pic) wasn't so bad it was laughable (Skyline, Battlefield: LA). I was mildly entertained.
  6. Jan 29, 2013
    Battleship has the prestigious award of the worst film I saw in the cinema of 2012. Battleship is very CGI heavy. which is something you should come to expect from the genre of this film (which I like to call, trying to be Transformers). But here is something amazing, the film is quite a lot better than the Transformers movies for a couple of reasons: The premise is so ridiculous it almostBattleship has the prestigious award of the worst film I saw in the cinema of 2012. Battleship is very CGI heavy. which is something you should come to expect from the genre of this film (which I like to call, trying to be Transformers). But here is something amazing, the film is quite a lot better than the Transformers movies for a couple of reasons: The premise is so ridiculous it almost works and the action sequences are better and less random to watch than the scenes of a similar nature that appear in Transformers. This is about as good as a film based on Battleship could be (especially considering they pulled in Rihanna for her unholy acting talent!). Droll, 50/100. Expand
  7. Aug 31, 2012
    I really wanted to like this movie, but I struggled. Fast forward to the action sequences and you'll be OK. The best character scenes come from the big black disabled soldier, his blonde physio and the geek (you'll spot them easy enough) and they are worth watching. 8 for the three characters I mentioned and the action scenes, 0 for the rest of the movie. 5 overall.
  8. Feb 9, 2013
    Battleship has a dreadful start and a lame ending but the middle did a decent job of showing some very good action scenes. The overall movie is just ok but please don't get me started on story and acting.
  9. Jul 7, 2012
    Good news! This movie is not bad. Seriously... I went to see this movie particularly because every one in the media said this was beyond awful. The second flop of the summer. So I did the sensible thing and grabbed a couple of friends. Although I had to bribe them with free tickets because they wouldn't volunteer otherwise. I figured if I'm going to attend an airplane crash I'll needGood news! This movie is not bad. Seriously... I went to see this movie particularly because every one in the media said this was beyond awful. The second flop of the summer. So I did the sensible thing and grabbed a couple of friends. Although I had to bribe them with free tickets because they wouldn't volunteer otherwise. I figured if I'm going to attend an airplane crash I'll need witnesses. So I made the investment. And guess what? This movie wasn't bad at all!
    My one friend said the movie had nothing to do with the promotional efforts out there. While the other said he loved the action. Personally, I thought it was a simply good popcorn movie.
    The issue with this movie falling below expectations might be that disease that has plagued a lot of super expensive Hollywood movies for a decade now. The marketing for the film set the bar so high that it was impossible to find it pleasing. I understand the studio accountants have to justify the expense and push that thing out there hard. But the reason why all three of us enjoyed this movie is exactly the opposite reason: We expected nothing of it... Perhaps this is what Hollywood oughtta take a page from. Let some projects fly a bit more on their own and they fly farther.
    As far as the movie's own merits. The acting was a job well done by everyone. The characters were written vacuous enough to fulfill their action movie gig. Not much else was expected from them, and they delivered well. Sometimes acting is best served sushi style. Raw and simple.
    The plot was clear from the get go. You know where it's headed and expect to get there as all big Hollywood movies do. Blowing stuff up. And the explosions looked awesome. The special effects were amazing. I was hoping more aliens would show up. Blow up those suckers again!
    There were a couple of surprise turns sprinkled here and there just to keep my eyes away from the pop corn but not enough to complicate things. The biggest one being the old crew in the museum boat. Maybe they did take it a bit into the hokey lane with that one. But, let's face it, old folks buy tickets too, and what would be a Hollywood blockbuster without a little camp in it?
  10. Nov 5, 2012
    About as good as a movie based on a board game can get. It had an okay cast, a slightly interesting but boring story, and a good climax. Honestly I think the critics were a little harsh, but it wasn't the best. Not something you would pay to see in theaters, but certainly something you could get at a Redbox machine on a boring Friday night.
  11. Oct 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One word for you, Expectation's! Come on did you really expect that much from Mr. John Carter. It's a Popcorn Movie! You don't care if you can't hear all the dialog amongst the crunch in the room. As long as the bang and the boom are loud, big and often. All that to say the special effects are a slow trot around the bases with high fives to finish. However, as Im sure most would agree, the story was some seriously diluted weak sauce (IF IN NEED OF HELP ON THIS: Envision 1 packet taco bell hot sauce mixed with a gallon of water and you get the picture). In fact they would have been better off just naming it something else to start. This way we just expect some cheesy action flick and start on solid ground. The board game tie into the script with the alien craft jumping to each and every booie marker perfectly was the Kleenex trophy moment. And this is but one moment in the school of fish in a barrel of opportunities to demand your coin be refunded. But, we are back to that word again, Expectations! Peter Berg (director) is more of a stunt/effects coordinator than anything. While Taylor Kitsch and Brooklyn Decker are merely eye candy for whatever the viewing appetite. 10 on the action/effects ZERO on everything else = 5 Expand
  12. Dec 5, 2012
    Transformers 3 wishes it could have been like this movie; Transformers sucked, Battleship is actually entertaining. The similarities are ever present, but I had a really fun time with this one! I recommend it!
  13. Jan 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie started out fine but then digressed into a cheesy loud no-brainer film. The story makes little sense and leaves me unsatisfied. Why were the alien ships so poorly armed with all their advanced technology? Why couldn't they track a 60 year old warship properly? Why would an advanced alien ship have such a flawed design (bridge on the front with glass windows). The action was fine, the girl was hot, overall watchable. Expand
  14. May 18, 2012
    Again, other hasbro game/toy that appear in the big screen, Battleship is a popular board game, popular in much years, and why not do a movie? I belive that Hasbro don't learn with the disasters of G.I. Joe and Transformers. The story is really good, but have a terrible development, in the only things that you watch are explosions and pretty effects. The performances are terrible, someAgain, other hasbro game/toy that appear in the big screen, Battleship is a popular board game, popular in much years, and why not do a movie? I belive that Hasbro don't learn with the disasters of G.I. Joe and Transformers. The story is really good, but have a terrible development, in the only things that you watch are explosions and pretty effects. The performances are terrible, some people of the cast (Liam Neeson) do a good job, but the rest is terrible. Battleship is funny in some moments, but the biggest part of the time is a disaster. Expand
  15. May 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Battleship was OK. I mean, it is your prototypical action movie... heaps of mindless action with a bland story to bundle it all together in plastic wrap. If you are the type that will get a kick out of mindless action, then Battleship has you covered. However, if you want more than that, you may want to turn elsewhere. It has enough moments to distinguish itself as its own movie and story, but in the end, the story boils down to an immature character learning maturity the hard way, with a couple of stupid and dull romantic scenes to help the main character show off more of his personality. It is the number one way to cop out of dynamically developing a character on screen. The soundtrack is mostly rock but the soundtrack felt forced into the movie instead of really enhancing it. You could remove most of the music and it wouldn't really influence the quality of the movie. Long story short... go if you love your high octane mindless action movie, but think twice if you want something more than that. Expand
  16. May 26, 2012
    To be honest, I haven't seen and reviewed movies for quite a while. My dad wanted our whole family to watch something fun and enjoyable for our bonding time, so we watched "Battleship". That alone was the single greatest mistake I have made in 2012. Peter Berg's "Battleship" is straight up terrible. The characters are bland with wooden acting, the plot is nonsensical with over-the-top CGITo be honest, I haven't seen and reviewed movies for quite a while. My dad wanted our whole family to watch something fun and enjoyable for our bonding time, so we watched "Battleship". That alone was the single greatest mistake I have made in 2012. Peter Berg's "Battleship" is straight up terrible. The characters are bland with wooden acting, the plot is nonsensical with over-the-top CGI destruction, and most of all the whole concept of the movie was **** Really? I mean, making a movie out of a BOARD GAME? Hollywood just got more retarded in my eyes. Expand
  17. Vic
    Aug 5, 2012
    Another highly predictable movie with predictable ending! The only thing is good about this movie is special effects. This is that sort of films that you watch and forget, highly unlikely you'd like to watch it again!
  18. Jun 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is it watchable? Yes - sort of. Is the SFX good? It's okay. In reality would the aliens destroy us in order to keep stupid films like this from escaping earth and lowering the IQ quotient of the whole galaxy? Undoubtedly. Overall: It's not even worth paying to hire it on DVD. For some reason Metacritic wouldn't let me write a review even several weeks after the film had premiered in Australia, as the little countdown was still ticking. I assume that the site got paid off to hold back all the negative reviews, cause this film sucked hard. An irresponsible **** joins the Navy and becomes a Lieutenant (no, not Rhianna, I'm talking about Taylor Kitsch), because even morons get to high rank in the Navy without any effort these days. Aliens turn up... and then they do nothing (except when attacked). Huh. Well, it's a different plot, to be sure. There's even 5 minutes of the boardgame-type warfare in the film (which is actually the films strongest part... and then they ditch it). Poor acting, poor script, poor film. 4 out of 10. Expand
  19. Aug 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In a sentence: Hawai looks nice, DDG Arleigh Burke's are very nice, Rihanna looks like a boy and aliens behave like they are winners of Intergalactic Championship of Idiots.
    No point in writing about the plot, because others done it already - predictable, stereotype driven and filled with some 'stereotype breaking' ideas like - coward, veteran without legs and a perfect blonde saving the world... oh, that was unexpected!
    But then again - who in hell watches this kind of movies in expectation of a thrilling plot? People may have different motivations! I for one watched it because I like steel, guns and blazing technology.
    Unfortunately even for me its not completely appealing. Destroyers do looks nice but there is so much stupid things in the movie that it breaks it even for militaristic oriented fans. Let me give you some examples: - Undisciplined dude joins navy... just like that and becomes a Lieutenant... to hell with academy! I will join up too! - Aliens who traverse the Galaxy and come to conquer us with their fancy guided-rotating-razor-sharp whateveritis things use ballistic trajectory type projectiles to shoot at our ships. I guess for them anything that flies faster than 60mph and manoeuvres is a work of Alien Satan! - Navy commander, who is even decorated at the end, looks at a thing size of a two football fields and gives order to open fire with a 127-mm Mk4 (because aliens are stealth and nothing else works) and manages to squeeze in whole 2 shots in about a two minutes (with a gun boasting 16-20 shots per minute). ladies and gentleman - he is a hero! - Aliens at the same time lack brains (or whatever they use for thinking). They send some swirling mumbo jumbo to destroy a highway on Hawai, but they leave a destroyer alone 'because it did not fire at them and changed the course to not a collision one. Damn, if Alien commander was not dead he would probably be fired at the end. - Singe anchor chain is literally yanking 45k ton battleship out of the water... nice chain. Would give it a medal or two. I guess it was highly motivated by the fact that Rihanna would die if it didn't do it.

And those are just the most appalling of the ideas. Do not get me wrong - I still watched the movie and enjoyed the explosions, just do not bet on realism.

Oh and by the way, first 10 min are super funny - remember the Chiken Burrito!
  20. Sep 11, 2012
    Some nice visual effects but overall a boring movie with a bad story, especially in the first 30 minutes. I was expecting much more from the trailer I saw before.
  21. May 26, 2012
    Battleship is more like video game than a movie, I couldn't enjoy any frame as a movie. But for video game, it's really fun and exciting. I really praise the score, really enjoy it. Go see it!
  22. Jul 17, 2012
    "Battleship" is ultimately a disappointment. Most of the characters are dull, but the main characters are bearable. In the end, the action doesn't drag on too much, and the special effects are visually engaging, but the film doesn't warrant watching it a second time.
  23. May 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yes, the plot sucks, the acting sucks, the humors childish, the dialogues stupid, yet, the movie is quite satisfying in its own cheesy way. Like eating KFC when you are hungry.
    The shots are colorful and expressive. Action scenes will keep you at the edge of your seat. It feels so cool seeing the old-fashion battleship blow up the "space"ship. The girl friend is totally hot.

**** the critics, this movie has made my evening a very enjoyable one.

I'm not a fan of navy or warships, but I'm sure people who dig these stuffs would find this even more entertaining.
  24. May 18, 2012
    Like scoley, I'm very surprised at how much fun I had with this film. Definitely too long and packed with corny, flat humor, but again, Taylor K. is a solid lead (really liked him in John Carter) and the supporting cast brings heart and spirit to the proceedings. The connection to the old board game (no spoilers) is a little cheesy. And the special effects folks were obviously huge fansLike scoley, I'm very surprised at how much fun I had with this film. Definitely too long and packed with corny, flat humor, but again, Taylor K. is a solid lead (really liked him in John Carter) and the supporting cast brings heart and spirit to the proceedings. The connection to the old board game (no spoilers) is a little cheesy. And the special effects folks were obviously huge fans of Tall Man and his flying Cuisinarts from the Phantasm films, as those spherical chainsaws are a loving tribute to those 80's horror classics. And, of course, this film is leagues ahead of the Transformers films. Expand
  25. Aug 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Being a huge fan of action/sci-fi flicks, I was really looking forward to this particular movie. Unfortunately, it did not manage to live up to my expectations. Mega hype over nothing. The story itself wasn't as bad at all, but what did fall short is the casting. For example, you would imagine the character Mick to be this rough and tough, more grungier man, whereas instead he is just a soft spoken guy with a rough exterior. All in all, I would not recommend you to put this on the top of your movie watch list. It can wait. Expand
  26. May 24, 2012
    Seemingly possessed by the spirit of Michael Bay, Battleship, despite being a nautical eye candy, is sunk by terrible dialogues equal to last decade's corny action movie punch lines, patched poorly by shallow plot and loud crank of metal. It's literally a cobbled up pieces from your typical invasion movies, predictable and empty. Inspired by a video game, it's also serves as homage to theSeemingly possessed by the spirit of Michael Bay, Battleship, despite being a nautical eye candy, is sunk by terrible dialogues equal to last decade's corny action movie punch lines, patched poorly by shallow plot and loud crank of metal. It's literally a cobbled up pieces from your typical invasion movies, predictable and empty. Inspired by a video game, it's also serves as homage to the navy, which hopefully unintentionally, becomes more ridiculous after each explosion and awful line. This is a 90's B-movie in soul but with top notch CG cosmetic.
    The cinematic and explosive scenes are delightful, well created to showcase the action in more coherent way. It looks pristine, clear cut accompanied by vibrant colors. With more focus on naval battle, it uses plenty blazing and watery effect to exaggerate the action. For fans of action movie who simply seek for full blown extravaganza, it's serviceable. However it's not exactly novel, you'll get the strange familiar feeling that you have seen the carnage before. With fiery explosion like Transformers', thrilling alien contact similar to Armageddon's, popular old soundtracks and fan service like Megan Fox's ass, trust me, that déjà vu feeling will come.
    Conversation is downright atrocious. With the characters spewing testosterone induced taunts and banters, even Rihanna does it, to the point of being a bit embarrassing to watch. I'm surprised it doesn't use "Hasta la Vista, baby." In that regard, the acting is decent at best. Honestly, it's very superficial and over-the-top, you just embrace the silliness of it all. You can pretty much tell with Taylor Kitsch (John Carter) and Liam Neeson (Zeus) recreating gruff manly role not far from their previous ones.
    Alongside that, it carries a staggering amount of plot holes. The invader lacks characters' hostility judgment which gives our main characters plenty of occasions to survive their encounters of odd kind. Despite having nifty arsenals and able to travel through stars, their infantries are not given handgun adequately, thus ensuring dramatic melee fight scene between humans and aliens. Some characters also survive magically from sinking ship and car crash because the script demands it so. But hey, we've got explosion and babe, they look good. If you come for those, you might get some joy from Battleship, just ignore the outrageous premise. 5/10
  27. May 24, 2012
    No es una película que realmente busque cautivar a la audiencia, sencillamente fue hecha para ser taquillera y solo para eso.
    Las actuaciones son muy olvidables, a pesar de tener a alguien como Liam Neeson entre los protagonistas, y la "supuesta" novedad que debía ser (supongo) Rihanna que también acabó en ser una actuación cualquiera, ni siquiera me aprendí el nombre de los personajes.

La película no es mala, simplemente no es profunda, y es MUY predecible así como otras películas de "invasión extraterrestre". Es perfecta para una salida al cine con los amigos, solo para eso...
  28. Jun 12, 2012
    It was alright. Entertaining, but very cliche. Mainly all action with little story. In the end it was an entertaining movie, but just entertaining. nothing special
  29. Jun 8, 2012
    Somewhat less painful than I expected. I laughed a couple of times, but probably for not the right reasons. I did enjoy the movie for Rihanna though, I guess.
  30. Jul 15, 2012
    I was REALLY looking forward to this movie, but Rihanna ruins it. She was a terrible actress (not surprising, considering she's a singer), and her constant ad-libbing ruined the immersion and made me groan. The only reason to go see this movie is for some cool-looking effects, and if that's all it takes to entertain you, you are either six years old or Micheal Bay.
  31. Aug 8, 2012
    The plot did seem a little flimsy, however overall I did enjoy watching the movie, the relationship between the main Japanese character and the main American character was hilarious while still very buddy-like.
  32. Jan 2, 2014
    An alien invasion flick based off of the Hasbro game of the same name? Despite how absurd this sounded to me I was hoping that this would manage to be a cheesy good time. Unfortunately I found the movie to be a cheesy bad time. Lame plot, bad acting, unlikable characters, and lackluster action plague this movie. I didn't really care about anything that was going on. There were some niceAn alien invasion flick based off of the Hasbro game of the same name? Despite how absurd this sounded to me I was hoping that this would manage to be a cheesy good time. Unfortunately I found the movie to be a cheesy bad time. Lame plot, bad acting, unlikable characters, and lackluster action plague this movie. I didn't really care about anything that was going on. There were some nice explosions but the whole movie just ends up feeling incredibly generic. The attempts at humor fall short, the special effects are dated, and the characters end up feeling like robots who spout of nonsense one-liners that no human being would ever say. Overall "Battleship" is not worth your time. "Syfy" original movies end up coming across as more intelligent and believable than this one does. Skip it. Expand
  33. May 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. â Expand
  34. Jul 6, 2012
    With those awesome Effects and Director Peters amazing direction Battleship still doesn't work because of its low story and Lame screenplay . Every si-fi movie needs some explication without it its just unworthy . Taylor Kitsch uneven performance as the lead made it so bad . on the other hand Brook did surprisingly well in her 2nd movie . and Skarsgård's role should have more wide.With those awesome Effects and Director Peters amazing direction Battleship still doesn't work because of its low story and Lame screenplay . Every si-fi movie needs some explication without it its just unworthy . Taylor Kitsch uneven performance as the lead made it so bad . on the other hand Brook did surprisingly well in her 2nd movie . and Skarsgård's role should have more wide. Rihannas acting was better then I expected that coz my exceptions were 0. But still the movie is watchable and Enjoyable but only if anyone put that horrible story out of mind . Expand
  35. Jun 9, 2012
    How about spending $200 million for an 'okay' movie? Well, that's what Universal did. By releasing it in the International Market way back in April, the studio managed to salvage a lot of dough to cover what many can consider as the most contrived movie project in recent years. The fact that it's watchable is a great testament to its production team, a semi miracle of sorts. But enoughHow about spending $200 million for an 'okay' movie? Well, that's what Universal did. By releasing it in the International Market way back in April, the studio managed to salvage a lot of dough to cover what many can consider as the most contrived movie project in recent years. The fact that it's watchable is a great testament to its production team, a semi miracle of sorts. But enough already! Michael Bay is a pretty decent director but stop 'aping' his style. Studios..if you want box office gold, make sure that the film itself has a great script..stop shooting yourself on the foot. Expand
  36. May 21, 2012
    What's the first thing on your mind if you imagine Battleship? Aliens? Of course, the whole plot of the movie can be summed by this: someone makes some horrible decision in order to trigger the mandatory action scene. So we have the government who thinks that would be nice to send "peaceful messages to aliens", the main character who thinks its' better to act like a douche bag instead of,What's the first thing on your mind if you imagine Battleship? Aliens? Of course, the whole plot of the movie can be summed by this: someone makes some horrible decision in order to trigger the mandatory action scene. So we have the government who thinks that would be nice to send "peaceful messages to aliens", the main character who thinks its' better to act like a douche bag instead of, you now, enjoying your high-salary work and your mandatory hot blonde who serves no purpose. Computer graphic was impressive in the early 90's, now everything seems lifeless. Characters are just there to be killed, This movie is fun if you like criticize bad films with your sarcastic friends, otherwise, stay away Collapse
  37. Mar 22, 2013
    Let's get straight to it, Battleship is a bad bad film. Taylor Kitsch was greatly mocked for starring in this film and John Carter, two of 2012's lesser acclaimed releases but I don't think he can shoulder too much of the blame here. Battleship's faults lie almost solely at the feet of the writers, Jon and Erich Hoeber.

The script is riddled, absolutely riddled with stinking dialogue

The script is riddled, absolutely riddled with stinking dialogue and the while obviously a certain amount of disbelief is required to even consider watching a film of Battleship's ilk, the plot has some laughable moments. I don't know which was worse, watching a previously decommissioned battleship being started up by a crew of geriatric veterans in no time at all, seeing said ship perform a handbrake turn at full speed by dropping anchor, the cringe-worthy references to The Art of War or seeing Rihanna try to act. Her speech about her father's alien prophecy is the stuff of nightmares. Thankfully for his sake, Liam Neeson's performance as the isolated Fleet Commander is limited.

I was sceptical of how the film might incorporate anything resembling the Battleship game, but the night battle using educated pot-shots at grid references in the style of the board game actually worked reasonably well. The enemy, or more importantly, its odd passive-aggressive, your turn-our turn behaviour, is conveniently never explained.

I know the film is supposed to be action-led, fun and O.T.T. and visually director Peter Berg does nothing wrong but most of the action is pretty stationary and quite repetitive and there is only so much you can forgive a terrible script. Come back Michael Bay, we forgive you for Transformers!
  38. Sep 9, 2013
    I was, not surprisingly, let down by this movie. Special effects were great, but acting and plot was mediocre at best. $200M for a movie about a board game! For the most part, the movie had nothing to do with the Hasbro game. They were able to weave in a few references to the game. Transformers was a much better "Hasbro" movie imo.
  39. Jun 26, 2012
    Expectation: moderate, mostly predictable story revealed in fx heavy trailers

Expectation: moderate, mostly predictable story revealed in fx heavy trailers

Delivery: As a movie fan, I've developed thick skin towards the typical bad boy turned hero, military propaganda, token Black characters, the hard as nails woman, and characters who, during action scenes, blurt out catch-phrases like talking stuffed animals, but Battleship has waaaay too many of these infractions to ignore. Its common to have to suspend belief to accept some movie plots, but Battleship asks you to leave some brain cells at home and lock your common sense in the car. Too many coincidences put the characters in position, and the all too familiar "screw up who loves the bosses daughter but has to win the boss over by unlocking his true potential, proving himself to said boss" set up. This crappy setup makes it harder to except the pretty exciting cgi fest that follows. Battleship is worth a matinee or a weekend rental. Lower your expectations, turn off your common sense and Battleship will make for a moderately enjoyable popcorn flick
  40. Oct 7, 2012
    This was a good movie, based on the board game. Had some good action moments, but still left alot to be desired as far as a plot. The movie idea (based on a ship) made the ability to have action and a plot very limited. Still a decent job was done with what was available.
  41. Oct 8, 2013
    Characters in this movie are portrayed in the following way: they're navy officers in the line of duty. No more, no less; which makes this movie have undeniably good visuals, effects, and sound design, but characters that are so poorly developed that they're completely foreign to the audience. This movie also completely neglects the plot that supposedly exists in the movie, so we as theCharacters in this movie are portrayed in the following way: they're navy officers in the line of duty. No more, no less; which makes this movie have undeniably good visuals, effects, and sound design, but characters that are so poorly developed that they're completely foreign to the audience. This movie also completely neglects the plot that supposedly exists in the movie, so we as the audience are still left completely unknown as to the aliens' intentions. So by completely neglecting the plot and the character development that should be in it, it stops Battleship from being one of the better action movies. Expand
  42. Feb 16, 2014
    To be honest, this movie was better than I expected it to be (which isn't saying much.)

The story is almost pointless and serves little purpose other than to be just one cliched plot device after another. But the action and the effects are really top rate. Overall: A pretty much pointless movie, but it is fun to watch. Side Note: My hats off for the creators managing to actually

Overall:
    A pretty much pointless movie, but it is fun to watch.

Side Note:
    My hats off for the creators managing to actually tie it to the board game with the movie's version of "Battleships." As brief as it was, I did think that was kinda funny.
  43. Mar 3, 2013
    Stop it. This was a GOOD MOVIE. I have no idea why people are saying its bad. I'll honestly say the action didn't have the best effects but they really worn't too bad. But the plot was a little ''awkward''. But overall an okay movie.
  44. Mar 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What this movie lacked in substance made up for it in heart. How can you not enjoy Veterans coming back to help save this earth from an alien invasion. Not a great movie but certainly not terrible. The comic relief saved this film. Expand
  45. Mar 19, 2013
    I gave this a 6 because I was entertained. Lets get this out of the way the main thing about this film is finding out what the thing is, they aren't developing characters its just a film about finding out what it is. I tell you some parts become boring, but like Sucker Punch when that action kicks in you won't be able to take your eyes away. Rihanna yeah she was good in this. I can say itI gave this a 6 because I was entertained. Lets get this out of the way the main thing about this film is finding out what the thing is, they aren't developing characters its just a film about finding out what it is. I tell you some parts become boring, but like Sucker Punch when that action kicks in you won't be able to take your eyes away. Rihanna yeah she was good in this. I can say it entertained me more then "Transformers, Revenge of the Fallen. Twilight, Avatar, The Last Airbender, Dont Be Afraid of the Dark, The Hunger Games) Expand
  46. Mar 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you are looking for some mindless action, Battleship is for you. Yes, the acting and plot sucked but I was mildly entertained the whole time. I thought the way they played up the board game grid was kind of cool and just reminded me of being a kid and playing battleship. The aliens were a little Transformers rip offs but they were still cool to watch. Was this movie fantastic, absolutely not but I have seen worse. Expand
  47. May 6, 2013
    Well they tried making the story good and interesting but maybe they should have just concentrated on the action more rather than trying and failing on story development. Transformer ripoff gone wrong.
  48. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was actually surprised by this film. I was expecting a god awful film. I got a very average film though. The pieces are there for Battleship. It has potential. It does need some things to change though (The soccer scene, no main character dying, freaking Rihanna) but overall this is actually a pretty decent film. I'd like to see them take another crack at this film, because with a few changes, this could be a very good film. Expand
  49. Jul 16, 2013
    This film reminded me non-stop of Transformers. In fact sometimes I even thought I WAS watching transformers.

When it comes to films action and military are one of my tops, however that's all that was good in this. The visual effects were amazing, they also had some great actors, however the story was generic, overly cliche and because of that just a tad boring. However some of the script is great and funny in parts, plus the portrayal of the military in this film was pretty damn good.

Recommend watching as a rental and then decide if you want to buy.
  50. Mar 7, 2014
    This movie wasnt awful, but it wasnt particularly good either. A dumb plot with lack of actual ship fights holds this movie down until the end where the USS Missouri fights the motherhship. I can usually accept a bad plot and stuff when it's supposed to be non stop unrealistic action, and this is no exception. I don't love it, I don't hate it, it's just a generic summer blockbuster; mostlyThis movie wasnt awful, but it wasnt particularly good either. A dumb plot with lack of actual ship fights holds this movie down until the end where the USS Missouri fights the motherhship. I can usually accept a bad plot and stuff when it's supposed to be non stop unrealistic action, and this is no exception. I don't love it, I don't hate it, it's just a generic summer blockbuster; mostly action, with little originality plot wise. Expand
  51. Oct 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just watched this fantastic mess. I always love the premise of a movie that attempts to reconcile what would happen "if". In this case, what would happen if we were visited by a hostile other worldly species with technology far superior than our own. Answer: (spoiler alert) A group of geriatric world war II veterans bring a mothballed battleship out of retirement. The number of holes in the sinking destroyers cannot match the number of holes in this plot. I don't mind suspending disbelief in order to enjoy a movie. But this one will insult your intelligence. Liam Neeson will NOT be putting this one on his resume. Expand
  52. Nov 23, 2014
    La película empieza de forma normal, después empieza a tornarse a su historia correspondiente, pero luego se pierde de su relato original y se va a un decline desfavorable, aunque cabe mencionar que logra entretener.
  53. Apr 22, 2014
    A really boring movie. It was a cool concept but it didn't work for me. I am a big action movie fan and all of the action scenes in this movie I found really boring. They were supposed to keep you entertained with those action scenes as there were so many of them but it didn't do its job well. Also there was sub par acting so it is also a bad movie in that sense.

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 22, 2012
    The story, by brothers Erich and Jon Hoeber, who also penned the clever, quippy, aging-assassin movie "Red," is cleverer and quippier than it has any reason to be, even if it makes not the remotest sense.
    One of the more enjoyably terrible movies of the year.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 18, 2012
    The script is replete with howlers. My favorite, from Kitsch, after the aliens strike: "I've got a bad feeling about this." Indeed.