Battleship

4.8

1. Jun 17, 2012
    Like Transformer, exactly based on game, but what i found while watching it is that the film never made plot and script look great but the humor and visual made it looks okay however when i compared visual with Michael Bay"s Transformer both of them look exactly similar because of its sound and cinematic style.
    One same thing is that the visual sound in both Transformer and this film is
    One same thing is that the visual sound in both Transformer and this film is noisy. Nevertheless this films still good with its action and more fun entertaining :D
  2. Oct 19, 2012
    The battle sequences clearly make this movie. The characters/dialogue seem to be there because they have to be, and you can easily see the screw-up-redeems-himself theme from the beginning. But wow, the action sequences were First Rate! Think Halo Invasion. Very tight with a jump-up and fist-pump-the-air ending sequence. Highly recommended.
  3. May 24, 2012
    This movie is based on the Hasbro board game and they actually manage to slip in a bit of the game's design into the plot. However, most of it revolves around an alien invasion that two scrappy groups must scramble to stop. After a slow first third that establishes Taylor Kitsch as a screw-up, it gets down to battling a superior military force. While nothing about the plot or procedures isThis movie is based on the Hasbro board game and they actually manage to slip in a bit of the game's design into the plot. However, most of it revolves around an alien invasion that two scrappy groups must scramble to stop. After a slow first third that establishes Taylor Kitsch as a screw-up, it gets down to battling a superior military force. While nothing about the plot or procedures is original, the enemy's technology is impressive and the effects are convincing. There's plenty of cool combat to help distract from the cheesy writing. Overall, the action is solid, but not particularly novel or clever.
    NOTE: Stay through the credits for an extended bonus scene.
  4. May 19, 2012
    Go in expecting a corny, fun movie with fun explosions, and you'll get a little more. Kitsch is great, and the supporting cast, though with some corny moments, are good as well. When things get corny, the movie is meta about it. Don't expect it to be any better than the first "Transformers" film (though it is). All these bad reviews are from people expecting something from the film thatGo in expecting a corny, fun movie with fun explosions, and you'll get a little more. Kitsch is great, and the supporting cast, though with some corny moments, are good as well. When things get corny, the movie is meta about it. Don't expect it to be any better than the first "Transformers" film (though it is). All these bad reviews are from people expecting something from the film that the film is not, or people taking it too seriously. Enjoy yourself, suspend belief, and have a good time. It's got a little bit of sic-fi, a little bit of humor and a lot of action. Expand
  5. May 22, 2012
    What was the story of the protagonist and the end of the story was boring, unoriginal and spent way too, but the action, the highlight of the movie, that intensity! I was surprised and not disappointed. special effects very good, but small details that failed second and sound respectable and throughout the Transformers saga. perhaps because of diplomatic problems but it bothers me a littleWhat was the story of the protagonist and the end of the story was boring, unoriginal and spent way too, but the action, the highlight of the movie, that intensity! I was surprised and not disappointed. special effects very good, but small details that failed second and sound respectable and throughout the Transformers saga. perhaps because of diplomatic problems but it bothers me a little films that are so Americanized. but overall good. Expand
  6. Sep 3, 2012
    People who say that this is a bad film need to go to a doctor because it is most defiantly one of the better films of the last 10yrs ! Its just people being negative about everything !
  7. May 20, 2012
    First off, I gave this movie's preview hell. The premise seemed very stupid to me, especially since it was based on one of the first RTS games ever made. I heard alot about this movie being patriotic, so I was okay with at least trying to sit through it. Surprisingly, this film caught me off guard. At times the acting was a little off, but the action was entertaining. I want to give propsFirst off, I gave this movie's preview hell. The premise seemed very stupid to me, especially since it was based on one of the first RTS games ever made. I heard alot about this movie being patriotic, so I was okay with at least trying to sit through it. Surprisingly, this film caught me off guard. At times the acting was a little off, but the action was entertaining. I want to give props to the real life war veteran who lost his legs, the soldier in the movie named "Nick". He actually did a pretty good job. His performance seemed real. There was clapping in the theater when he stood up to the alien. Also, I think the most badass part of the film was when they got the USS Missouri Battleship into the picture. The old crew that helped get it operational was freakin' awesome. Those old guys were legit. I think overall, the premise was silly, but the delivery was great. I give props to the director, Peter Berg, for including members of the Navy in his picture. It added to the genuine factor. Go see this movie with an open mind, and you just might have a good time. Expand
  8. May 28, 2012
    Honestly When I Saw The Preview I Thought "Oh God No"
    I Watched The Movie And I Have To Say The Effects Are Amazing!
    The Plot Is Ok.. Somwhat Meh.. The Acting Is Pretty Good!
    Rihanna's Acting Debut Is Amazing! She Is A Great Actress, Cant Wait To See More Of Her In Movies!
  9. Jul 28, 2012
    As critic i wouldnt give that much for this movie but... I enjoyed the movie and i dont regret watching it. Some moments were confusing but didnt f*ck up my movie experience.
  10. Oct 31, 2012
    Battleship really has got some stunning special effects and for that i take my hat off to it, but it is based on the battleships board-game,(Jesus what has life come to?) The film was mostly enjoyable but did have its (very) crap moments. Go out and buy it. Your worth it!
  11. Feb 19, 2013
    If you have never seen this movie, do not listen to these reviews. Battleship was an amazing movie and now one of my favorites. If you are that dumb and you cannot follow the story then just go watch Barney or something and stop discouraging people from watching good movies. Yes, their is a bunch of scenes in the movie that do not make sense 'IN REAL LIFE' but this is not real life,If you have never seen this movie, do not listen to these reviews. Battleship was an amazing movie and now one of my favorites. If you are that dumb and you cannot follow the story then just go watch Barney or something and stop discouraging people from watching good movies. Yes, their is a bunch of scenes in the movie that do not make sense 'IN REAL LIFE' but this is not real life, this is a movie. So if you want to watch an action packed movie about the US Navy destroying an alien invasion with few plot twists but still good ones then watch this movie. Expand
  12. May 28, 2012
    Enjoyed it after the first 30 minutes were pretty lame. It got good and had a few moments i will remember. My 9 year old boy liked it too. A few scenes leave you shaking your head a bit because its out of place or has consistancy issues. I enjoyed the naval ships and patriotic aspects too.
  13. Jun 1, 2012
    This movie was really good. No idea why so much hate. Lots of great action. Huge battleships firing all their weapons = sweeeeeet. Sure it may be a little cheesy at times but it really doesn't detract from the overall movie. If you are a fan of some high quality action with a decent enough story (I liked the story better than the avengers' one) then def see this movie if it is still around.
  14. May 18, 2012
    I was surprised I really enjoyed the film I thought it was going to be a Transformers reject but it ended up being pretty decent plenty of action half decent story may be a little too long but well worth a watch..
  15. Jun 5, 2012
    I absolutely loved the movie. I go to movies for entertainment. If the movie keeps my attention and excites me, it has done its job. I enjoyed this movie more than I enjoyed Avengers!! Different strokes for different folks.
  16. Feb 16, 2013
    What a flick Battleships is. They said a movie of a board game could never be done but Battleships proved them wrong. And strictly speaking, you don't really use a board in the game. The game itself is just a heap of guessing and stuff, but the movie ups the game and adds an alien invasion that you really don't see coming. This has Rihanna the pop singer. Bit of a boy's haircut in this butWhat a flick Battleships is. They said a movie of a board game could never be done but Battleships proved them wrong. And strictly speaking, you don't really use a board in the game. The game itself is just a heap of guessing and stuff, but the movie ups the game and adds an alien invasion that you really don't see coming. This has Rihanna the pop singer. Bit of a boy's haircut in this but boy can she act. And Liam Neeson. YES, THAT Liam Neeson. From Taken 2. Brilliant A-list stars. And they're not even the main people in it. That's how crazy this movie is. Expand
  17. Aug 5, 2012
    I passed over this movie because of the initial criticism of the movie. I recently watched the movie and i found it to be very entertaining. Overall the story was straightforward and you could see where it was going, and that was fine. I still enjoyed the ride.
  18. Apr 7, 2013
    This is a film that really surprised me. Given what I'd heard said about it, I put this movie on one day mainly on a whim, kind of that "okay, let's see how bad this movie really is." Truth be told, Battleship is actually a really decent film for what it seeks to do. I cannot understand how in a market where the Transformers franchise does well that this film was received so poorly. ThisThis is a film that really surprised me. Given what I'd heard said about it, I put this movie on one day mainly on a whim, kind of that "okay, let's see how bad this movie really is." Truth be told, Battleship is actually a really decent film for what it seeks to do. I cannot understand how in a market where the Transformers franchise does well that this film was received so poorly. This is a great special effects-driven, action-based military sci-fi film. It's Independence Day at sea. The scriptwriting is certainly no worse than the average summer popcorn film today and is in many ways better. Is this a triumph of "filmmaking art?" Of course not. It's a movie based on a board game that centers around calling out random grid references. There's no plot in the game, so everything had to be created from scratch. And I'll tell you this: they did a good job creating something from nothing. The story is engaging if you let it be, and the characters really do have dimension to them (not much, but some). Taylor Kitsch did an acceptable job as the film's main character, and you can say what you like, but I thought Rhianna did a good job in her role, which is basically about trying to show how difficult it is to be a serving woman in a male military machine. Special effects were top notch (anybody familiar with how difficult small-scale water rendering is will appreciate what they've done here). There are a few clever homages to the game, too, which is unexpected. And humor? Plenty enough to keep it from being a downer and enough to make the film just plain fun. I'm giving it an 8, though, so here are the reasons for deductions. One, this is not a triumph of filmmaking, it's not destined to be a classic. But here's the thing: it NEVER WAS. This film does not pretend to be Battleship Potemkin, it just wants to be Battleship. Two, this film is heavily reliant on special effects and less on character driven plot, sort of the inverse of Independence Day which showed a surprising amount of character development for a special effects movie. Gripe if you must, but Battleship is and only ever was about a pure action film, and it succeeds in that goal. It's about cheering for your team during the alien invasion and watching debris flying all over the place. If you want a don't-need-to-think-about-it, pure fun action fest (and who doesn't from time to time?), then go watch Battleship; that was the mission it was built to complete. A well-earned 8 for a pure action film without pretense: it's just about the action and fun. Expand
  19. Aug 10, 2012
    BATTLESHIP is a bit like JJ Abram's STAR TREK and a bit like Michael Bay's TRANSFORMERS, except that it is better than both of those films combined (it's more exciting, the explosions are handled with more finesse, and Brooklyn Decker is 3 times hotter than Megan Fox.) Only Decker's and Rihanna's stilted acting detracts a little from the overall excellence of the film, which works on soBATTLESHIP is a bit like JJ Abram's STAR TREK and a bit like Michael Bay's TRANSFORMERS, except that it is better than both of those films combined (it's more exciting, the explosions are handled with more finesse, and Brooklyn Decker is 3 times hotter than Megan Fox.) Only Decker's and Rihanna's stilted acting detracts a little from the overall excellence of the film, which works on so many levels. It is also ingenious how the writers managed to link it to the Hasbro game, and tie everything together nicely. I expected this movie to suck, but it turned out to be one the best films I have ever watched on the big screen. Expand
  20. Aug 9, 2012
    Just watched the movie with my kids and surprisingly considering all the negative reviews, had a blast. It is what it is . A well made over the top ridiculous action movie with some very funny moments. It doesnt pretend to be anything else unlike a movie such as Prometheus which was pretentious garbage in my opinion. Check brain at door and just go with it. Taylor Kitsch and Rihanna areJust watched the movie with my kids and surprisingly considering all the negative reviews, had a blast. It is what it is . A well made over the top ridiculous action movie with some very funny moments. It doesnt pretend to be anything else unlike a movie such as Prometheus which was pretentious garbage in my opinion. Check brain at door and just go with it. Taylor Kitsch and Rihanna are both very good and the supporting cast is for the most part good too. Expand
  21. May 19, 2012
    You all ready know the invaders are fake so what's the big deal! I am ex military and loved the variety of war heros. I enjoyed this better than the Avengers. Great, diverse cast and Rhianna was kick butt!
  22. May 31, 2012
    Rihanna Saves This Movie From Being A 4!
    Thats All I Can Say Rihanna Is Amazing In his Film!
    The Scrips Plot=1/10
  23. Oct 4, 2012
    battle scenes were spectacular and alien battleships looked astoundingly cool. but i wished there were more larger scale of combat scenes which i really enjoyed in the movie.
    It was like terran vs protoss struggle in sc2 and alien faces were very scary! LOL
  24. Feb 23, 2013
    People give "Cabin in the Woods" a good rating, but hate this? Come on people lol I thought it was a fun movie. They could get rid of some of the bad humor in the beginning, but thankfully they did not stick to them like I thought they would, so the movie was good. Yeah, some things are over the top, but it`s a fun movie full of action!!!!
  25. Feb 10, 2014
    If you like action films packed will explosive special effects then Battleship will blow you away. In this film the explosions are even more realistic than the ones in 12 Rounds.
    But the film isn't always great, the beginning does lack in action. And the film also gives the viewer a bit too much information at the beginning. This is bad because it can cause the viewer to become confused and lose interest. Although the beginning makes up for its lack of action by introducing a very funny shop-lifting scene. The lack of action at the beginning also gives the film a chance to introduce the characters and the plot, which is good because this helps the viewer to feel more involved in the film.
    The film is about a group scientists who create a device that allows them to communicate with a planet that is similar to ours. But when they do communicate the planet sends five spaceships that are armed with guns and aliens, to our planet. Luckily the ship that is used to communicate crash lands into Hong Kong and is destroyed so now the four remaining ships have to use our device to communicate, with their home planet, which can only send one message per day.
    The other four ships land in the middle of the ocean where they are soon met by a group of Navy Destroyer ships.
    As I said before, the film does lack in action at the beginning but once the action starts it doesn't stop. The action starts when the Navy Destroyer ships meet the spaceships in the middle of the ocean. In this scene special effects are used to show how advanced the aliens' weapons are. Also in this scene slow-motion effects are used to show how close some of the explosives are to hitting the navy ships.
    As well as explosive action scenes this film also has some great fight scenes. I think the best fight scene is when one of the aliens gets on one of the Navy Destroyer ships and in order to stop their ship from sinking the soldiers have to fight the alien. The thing that makes the fight interesting is that the alien is an armoured suit and the soldiers don't have any armour on at all. The scene also keeps the viewer interested with some comedy and an explosive ending.
    But this fight scene is nothing compared to my favourite scene which is near the end of the movie, when the remaining soldiers are forced to use a 70 year-old battleship to fight against one of the spaceships. This scene is great because it builds up suspense by showing how advanced the aliens' weapons are and also when the captain of the ship, Alex Hopper (Taylor Kitsch), uses a unique technique to fight against the aliens, which builds up suspense.
    I would recommend this film to anyone who like action films with great special effects, comedy and suspense and I would rate this film 9 out of 10.
  26. Mar 6, 2015
    This movie offers a great new alternative to the classic board game with aliens.The acting is pretty good even if Liam Neeson and Alexander Skarsgard stole the show.The action sequences are really well made and the graphics are amazing.
  27. Aug 30, 2015
    SO many bad reviews but decent movie overall.
    Yes part of the story sucks cos aliens are coming, Pentagon knows but rest of army doesn't and have no idea!
    Good effects...
    Rihanna = Good singer; bad actor...
  28. May 22, 2015
    This was a good movie not sure why critics don't like it. I purchased it on blu-ray and have watched it numerous times. More movies like this should be made.
  29. Kj1
    Aug 22, 2015
    On the back reviews I skipped this film at the cinema and only ended up watching it on TV because, despite 100 channels, there was 'nothing else on'. I have to say I really enjoyed it, and that's not just because I had such low expectations. The CGI is great, but so is the plot, really! Of course, there are holes the size of big black intergalactic ones, but if you can stop asking 'how canOn the back reviews I skipped this film at the cinema and only ended up watching it on TV because, despite 100 channels, there was 'nothing else on'. I have to say I really enjoyed it, and that's not just because I had such low expectations. The CGI is great, but so is the plot, really! Of course, there are holes the size of big black intergalactic ones, but if you can stop asking 'how can that happen' or 'why didn't they do that', and swallow the coke and popcorn like you've never drunk or eaten in a week, then I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It was long but not overlong - I guess if you aren't enjoying a film then 5 minutes is too long - and there were enough 'now we'll have to do this' bits to keep things ticking along nicely. Yep, I loved it, which all goes to show, don't believe everything you read. Expand
  30. Aug 24, 2014
    The aliens are coming - this time at sea.

During naval combat games, the underdog and his crew are left stranded within enemy lines, and in order to protect the world they must do the unthinkable and beat an enemy with every trick in a book - and outside it. While the story of a troublemaker-turned-hero isn't new, it didn't take too much space from the overall story. I would have
    The aliens are coming - this time at sea.

While the story of a troublemaker-turned-hero isn't new, it didn't take too much space from the overall story. I would have hoped to get a little more insight at the other core members of the cast, but the focus was on the action rather than the people (something that made the alien invasion feel like a background element since their motives weren't examined in detail, either). However, at places the lack of detail simply gave way to realism, which I choose to think most of the movie was about: without intel, without knowledge, it's all about operating blindly and trying your luck.

The visuals were awesome, as can be expected. The story was solid and good even when not scratching too deep beneath the surface; it delivered what it had to in order to make this an enjoyable film.
  31. Apr 4, 2013
    Battleship packs itself with action but still reserves some time for relationships between characters to be explored and for some very funny moments. Liam Neeson's performance is believable and engaging, however, the inclusion of many other characters such as that of Rhianna's just feel unnecessary and forced. The CGI, which probably takes up half the movie, is near-flawless and some ofBattleship packs itself with action but still reserves some time for relationships between characters to be explored and for some very funny moments. Liam Neeson's performance is believable and engaging, however, the inclusion of many other characters such as that of Rhianna's just feel unnecessary and forced. The CGI, which probably takes up half the movie, is near-flawless and some of the ideas used in the story are new and stop it becoming as predictable as some might expect. As a whole, the movie cannot be taken seriously and is so cheesy in parts that people may actually have to look away to avoid dying of awkwardness, but for what it is, Battleship is a quality Sci-Fi action movie. Expand
  32. Aug 30, 2013
    what I liked was it had really epic cgi effects and it is good as transformer 1 the movie with there very good cgi effects and what I did not like was where did the alien comes from and abrupt ending its was rushed on and I hope for battleship 2
  33. Jul 12, 2014
    This movie blows my mind of, truly one of the most awesome film's of 2012!

This movie blows my mind of, truly one of the most awesome film's of 2012!

This film got everything from a massive amount of action, great CGI and a touching soundtrack to awesome actors and spectacular science fiction. I totally love the mix between the navy and alien encounters, so unique and so original. I got to say, the first time I saw this film I was like WOW, how awesome isn't this film, and I know it doesn't got a high rating, but I totally love this movie, it's so damn good. I really enjoyed the special effects, especially the lens flares, and the movie overall got a fantastic story. It's not a 10, because it didn't feel as a 10, and there are some mistakes the director (who I never have heard of before) did, and the ending could have been better.

Battleship is a damn awesome and cool movie, that really deserves a high score.

Battleship gets a 9/10
  34. Jul 22, 2015
    Universal pictures adapts Hasbro's board game, so why are they making a board game into a film? The board game has no substance and it's boring, Hasbro makes dumb excuses to make movies, but what their really doing is promoting product placement into their movies, overall their blockbusters looks like a TV advertisement. The story, by brothers Erich and Jon Hoeber who have written theUniversal pictures adapts Hasbro's board game, so why are they making a board game into a film? The board game has no substance and it's boring, Hasbro makes dumb excuses to make movies, but what their really doing is promoting product placement into their movies, overall their blockbusters looks like a TV advertisement. The story, by brothers Erich and Jon Hoeber who have written the film Red, a clever aging-assassin, cheap fun action popcorn film, so maybe they can bring a little fun into this game adaptation. The script is beyond empty-headed, the film hits us with cliche's and cheesy dialogue also idiotic humor. The acting is mediocre but their trying, Taylor Kitsch tries to hard as a bad ass instead trying to be a better actor. Director Peter Burg is a better version of Michael Bay, Burg actually has proper storytelling and does not use shaky cam or does not have stereotypical characters, while Bay has no storytelling he just blows stuff up and has hot babes run in slow motion. In Battleship you don't get either of those in the movie. The plot is convoluted mess and trying to have the one story about having a Earth-like planet, but then they send a signal and the aliens respond but then the film rushes to next story which it's a cliche'd love story. "I've a got a bad feeling about this," says Alex Hooper (Taylor Kitsch) when he is a Navy lieutenant who stationed in Oahu, Hawaii, who gets caught up in the alien invasion at sea. He's a screw up who's dating a blonde Samantha (Brooklyn Decker), the daughter of Commander Admiral Shane (Liam Neeson) who hates him. He knows his brother (Alexander Skarsgård) is a way better solider than him. Sam is a physical therapist who stays on lad who helps a double paraplegic Army veteran Mick (played by the real Iraq hero Gregory D. Gadson) to make sure these aliens don't come home. Alex and his marine specialist played by Rihanna try to kill the aliens. It's dumb fun, Battleship meets "Independence Day" and "Transformers" but who cares if Battleship copied off of Transformers, the transformers trilogy were mediocre. The film is pure dumb but it was entertaining, Neeson was good and Kitsch was okay in the film, the effects were good and Burg's action sequences had a nice appreciable touch. Brooklyn Decker was basically Megan Fox in the film poorly written character. Grade B- Expand
  35. Nov 5, 2014
    I was trying to decide between a 6 or a 7 because the storyline was non-existent. What saved the movie IMO was the special effects and the action within the movie. It had some good actors/actresses in it as well, but overall the movie had no spark to it. I would recommend watching it, because it's an interesting movie, especially if you like action/military stuff, but other than that it'sI was trying to decide between a 6 or a 7 because the storyline was non-existent. What saved the movie IMO was the special effects and the action within the movie. It had some good actors/actresses in it as well, but overall the movie had no spark to it. I would recommend watching it, because it's an interesting movie, especially if you like action/military stuff, but other than that it's just another regular movie, nothing spectacular. Expand
  36. Sep 2, 2015
    J'ai bien aimé ce film, même si l'histoire n'est pas extraordinaire (on sait déjà comment cela va se finir), on passe tout de même un bon moment en le regardant.
  37. Feb 1, 2016
    Indeed it was very exciting and enjoyable. It has action, thrill and comedy at the same time.
    Watch the movie here for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-23a1c9-Battleship-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  38. Jan 20, 2016
    Loved it. Always liked the board game and making a movie out of it just makes me want to play it again.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-2335177-Battleship-online-free

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 22, 2012
    The story, by brothers Erich and Jon Hoeber, who also penned the clever, quippy, aging-assassin movie "Red," is cleverer and quippier than it has any reason to be, even if it makes not the remotest sense.
    One of the more enjoyably terrible movies of the year.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 18, 2012
    The script is replete with howlers. My favorite, from Kitsch, after the aliens strike: "I've got a bad feeling about this." Indeed.