4.7

1. May 24, 2012
    This movie is based on the Hasbro board game and they actually manage to slip in a bit of the game's design into the plot. However, most of it revolves around an alien invasion that two scrappy groups must scramble to stop. After a slow first third that establishes Taylor Kitsch as a screw-up, it gets down to battling a superior military force. While nothing about the plot or procedures isThis movie is based on the Hasbro board game and they actually manage to slip in a bit of the game's design into the plot. However, most of it revolves around an alien invasion that two scrappy groups must scramble to stop. After a slow first third that establishes Taylor Kitsch as a screw-up, it gets down to battling a superior military force. While nothing about the plot or procedures is original, the enemy's technology is impressive and the effects are convincing. There's plenty of cool combat to help distract from the cheesy writing. Overall, the action is solid, but not particularly novel or clever.
    NOTE: Stay through the credits for an extended bonus scene.
  2. Jan 2, 2014
    An alien invasion flick based off of the Hasbro game of the same name? Despite how absurd this sounded to me I was hoping that this would manage to be a cheesy good time. Unfortunately I found the movie to be a cheesy bad time. Lame plot, bad acting, unlikable characters, and lackluster action plague this movie. I didn't really care about anything that was going on. There were some niceAn alien invasion flick based off of the Hasbro game of the same name? Despite how absurd this sounded to me I was hoping that this would manage to be a cheesy good time. Unfortunately I found the movie to be a cheesy bad time. Lame plot, bad acting, unlikable characters, and lackluster action plague this movie. I didn't really care about anything that was going on. There were some nice explosions but the whole movie just ends up feeling incredibly generic. The attempts at humor fall short, the special effects are dated, and the characters end up feeling like robots who spout of nonsense one-liners that no human being would ever say. Overall "Battleship" is not worth your time. "Syfy" original movies end up coming across as more intelligent and believable than this one does. Skip it. Expand
  3. Feb 9, 2013
    Battleship has a dreadful start and a lame ending but the middle did a decent job of showing some very good action scenes. The overall movie is just ok but please don't get me started on story and acting.
  4. May 26, 2012
    To be honest, I haven't seen and reviewed movies for quite a while. My dad wanted our whole family to watch something fun and enjoyable for our bonding time, so we watched "Battleship". That alone was the single greatest mistake I have made in 2012. Peter Berg's "Battleship" is straight up terrible. The characters are bland with wooden acting, the plot is nonsensical with over-the-top CGITo be honest, I haven't seen and reviewed movies for quite a while. My dad wanted our whole family to watch something fun and enjoyable for our bonding time, so we watched "Battleship". That alone was the single greatest mistake I have made in 2012. Peter Berg's "Battleship" is straight up terrible. The characters are bland with wooden acting, the plot is nonsensical with over-the-top CGI destruction, and most of all the whole concept of the movie was **** Really? I mean, making a movie out of a BOARD GAME? Hollywood just got more retarded in my eyes. Expand
  5. Nov 5, 2012
    You've got to be **** me, Battleship. Funny how I don't remember there being aliens in the board game, when I played it as a kid. And casting Rihanna for one of the lead roles? I should've known this was bad news the second I saw Michael Bay's name on it.
  6. May 18, 2012
    Like scoley, I'm very surprised at how much fun I had with this film. Definitely too long and packed with corny, flat humor, but again, Taylor K. is a solid lead (really liked him in John Carter) and the supporting cast brings heart and spirit to the proceedings. The connection to the old board game (no spoilers) is a little cheesy. And the special effects folks were obviously huge fansLike scoley, I'm very surprised at how much fun I had with this film. Definitely too long and packed with corny, flat humor, but again, Taylor K. is a solid lead (really liked him in John Carter) and the supporting cast brings heart and spirit to the proceedings. The connection to the old board game (no spoilers) is a little cheesy. And the special effects folks were obviously huge fans of Tall Man and his flying Cuisinarts from the Phantasm films, as those spherical chainsaws are a loving tribute to those 80's horror classics. And, of course, this film is leagues ahead of the Transformers films. Expand
  7. Oct 1, 2012
    This is the worst film of 2012. The characters aren't all that interesting in the first place, there is only story in the first 30 minutes. This is basically Battle: L.A. all over again, even if it is slightly better.
  8. Aug 24, 2014
    The aliens are coming - this time at sea.

During naval combat games, the underdog and his crew are left stranded within enemy lines, and in order to protect the world they must do the unthinkable and beat an enemy with every trick in a book - and outside it. While the story of a troublemaker-turned-hero isn't new, it didn't take too much space from the overall story. I would have
    The aliens are coming - this time at sea.

While the story of a troublemaker-turned-hero isn't new, it didn't take too much space from the overall story. I would have hoped to get a little more insight at the other core members of the cast, but the focus was on the action rather than the people (something that made the alien invasion feel like a background element since their motives weren't examined in detail, either). However, at places the lack of detail simply gave way to realism, which I choose to think most of the movie was about: without intel, without knowledge, it's all about operating blindly and trying your luck.

The visuals were awesome, as can be expected. The story was solid and good even when not scratching too deep beneath the surface; it delivered what it had to in order to make this an enjoyable film.
  9. Dec 5, 2012
    Transformers 3 wishes it could have been like this movie; Transformers sucked, Battleship is actually entertaining. The similarities are ever present, but I had a really fun time with this one! I recommend it!
  10. Feb 16, 2014
    To be honest, this movie was better than I expected it to be (which isn't saying much.)

The story is almost pointless and serves little purpose other than to be just one cliched plot device after another. But the action and the effects are really top rate. Overall: A pretty much pointless movie, but it is fun to watch. Side Note: My hats off for the creators managing to actually

Overall:
    A pretty much pointless movie, but it is fun to watch.

Side Note:
    My hats off for the creators managing to actually tie it to the board game with the movie's version of "Battleships." As brief as it was, I did think that was kinda funny.
  11. May 20, 2012
    Are the transformer movies too intellectually stimulating for you? If so, I have found a movie for you! Cornball, cheesy, implausible, loud, and more loud. Aliens with amazing technology and superior intelligence somehow can't communicate with their home planet without the help of our old school satellite dishes. Yeah, right. I would like to say that Rihanna was a terrible actress,Are the transformer movies too intellectually stimulating for you? If so, I have found a movie for you! Cornball, cheesy, implausible, loud, and more loud. Aliens with amazing technology and superior intelligence somehow can't communicate with their home planet without the help of our old school satellite dishes. Yeah, right. I would like to say that Rihanna was a terrible actress, but I'm not sure anyone could give a great performance with the horrible dialogue she was spouting. At one point, after losing over half the fleet and death is all around him, Taylor Kitsch says "I've got a bad feeling about this". Really? You finally have a bad feeling about it? The great Liam Neeson is rarely featured and is simply picking up a paycheck. Why hire a great actor and not use him? He probably read the script and refused to say the cornball dialogue. The special effects are terrific as you would expect from a modern day film made on a computer. There is only one small part of the film that uses the Battleship Game format and it's eye rollingly bad. Expand
  12. Mar 29, 2015
    Insanely loud, stupid, dumb, poorly written, and all too familiar to what has been wrong with well over 50% of the summer blockbusters that release each year.
  13. Mar 6, 2015
    This movie offers a great new alternative to the classic board game with aliens.The acting is pretty good even if Liam Neeson and Alexander Skarsgard stole the show.The action sequences are really well made and the graphics are amazing.
  14. May 18, 2012
    Again, other hasbro game/toy that appear in the big screen, Battleship is a popular board game, popular in much years, and why not do a movie? I belive that Hasbro don't learn with the disasters of G.I. Joe and Transformers. The story is really good, but have a terrible development, in the only things that you watch are explosions and pretty effects. The performances are terrible, someAgain, other hasbro game/toy that appear in the big screen, Battleship is a popular board game, popular in much years, and why not do a movie? I belive that Hasbro don't learn with the disasters of G.I. Joe and Transformers. The story is really good, but have a terrible development, in the only things that you watch are explosions and pretty effects. The performances are terrible, some people of the cast (Liam Neeson) do a good job, but the rest is terrible. Battleship is funny in some moments, but the biggest part of the time is a disaster. Expand
  15. Feb 23, 2013
    People give "Cabin in the Woods" a good rating, but hate this? Come on people lol I thought it was a fun movie. They could get rid of some of the bad humor in the beginning, but thankfully they did not stick to them like I thought they would, so the movie was good. Yeah, some things are over the top, but it`s a fun movie full of action!!!!
  16. May 19, 2012
    Honestly, i think we can all agree that its pretty impossible to make a good film based off of the board game Battleship. When i first heard about it i thought it was ridiculous....and it was. This film had countless flaws, all lead by the horribly written script. My god this movie was corny. I can tell at some points it was meant to be cheesy, but not the entire film. Even the momentsHonestly, i think we can all agree that its pretty impossible to make a good film based off of the board game Battleship. When i first heard about it i thought it was ridiculous....and it was. This film had countless flaws, all lead by the horribly written script. My god this movie was corny. I can tell at some points it was meant to be cheesy, but not the entire film. Even the moments that were meant to be dramatic and we were supposed to feel for the characters, i just didnt, it was laughable. The acting was atrocious, Brooklyn Decker is a gorgeous woman but she cannot act to save her life and same with Rihanna, although it was her first film so we can give her a little break, but while i enjoyed Taylor Kitsch in John Carter, he just seemed like a tool in this movie, i only felt anger towards his character. When i first saw the trailer and the cast for the film, i thought "well Liam Neeson can probably carry the movie" but his character probably only had a total of 5 minutes of screen time which i have to say was very disappointing. I didn't expect this movie to be good in the first place because the concept of it is just ridiculous so i think i've bashed it enough. The only positives in this movie were the action (which was sub-par at best) and Brooklyn Deckers chest. 2/10 Wait for it to be in Redbox or on Netflix, not worth the admission price. Expand
  17. May 26, 2012
    Battleship is more like video game than a movie, I couldn't enjoy any frame as a movie. But for video game, it's really fun and exciting. I really praise the score, really enjoy it. Go see it!
  18. May 24, 2012
    Seemingly possessed by the spirit of Michael Bay, Battleship, despite being a nautical eye candy, is sunk by terrible dialogues equal to last decade's corny action movie punch lines, patched poorly by shallow plot and loud crank of metal. It's literally a cobbled up pieces from your typical invasion movies, predictable and empty. Inspired by a video game, it's also serves as homage to theSeemingly possessed by the spirit of Michael Bay, Battleship, despite being a nautical eye candy, is sunk by terrible dialogues equal to last decade's corny action movie punch lines, patched poorly by shallow plot and loud crank of metal. It's literally a cobbled up pieces from your typical invasion movies, predictable and empty. Inspired by a video game, it's also serves as homage to the navy, which hopefully unintentionally, becomes more ridiculous after each explosion and awful line. This is a 90's B-movie in soul but with top notch CG cosmetic.
    The cinematic and explosive scenes are delightful, well created to showcase the action in more coherent way. It looks pristine, clear cut accompanied by vibrant colors. With more focus on naval battle, it uses plenty blazing and watery effect to exaggerate the action. For fans of action movie who simply seek for full blown extravaganza, it's serviceable. However it's not exactly novel, you'll get the strange familiar feeling that you have seen the carnage before. With fiery explosion like Transformers', thrilling alien contact similar to Armageddon's, popular old soundtracks and fan service like Megan Fox's ass, trust me, that déjà vu feeling will come.
    Conversation is downright atrocious. With the characters spewing testosterone induced taunts and banters, even Rihanna does it, to the point of being a bit embarrassing to watch. I'm surprised it doesn't use "Hasta la Vista, baby." In that regard, the acting is decent at best. Honestly, it's very superficial and over-the-top, you just embrace the silliness of it all. You can pretty much tell with Taylor Kitsch (John Carter) and Liam Neeson (Zeus) recreating gruff manly role not far from their previous ones.
    Alongside that, it carries a staggering amount of plot holes. The invader lacks characters' hostility judgment which gives our main characters plenty of occasions to survive their encounters of odd kind. Despite having nifty arsenals and able to travel through stars, their infantries are not given handgun adequately, thus ensuring dramatic melee fight scene between humans and aliens. Some characters also survive magically from sinking ship and car crash because the script demands it so. But hey, we've got explosion and babe, they look good. If you come for those, you might get some joy from Battleship, just ignore the outrageous premise. 5/10
  19. May 24, 2012
    Can somebody please tell me why Battleship was turned into a movie? I have seen the Transformers and G.I. Joe TV series and movies, but thank god I'd stayed away from the theater watching a ridiculous funnier mess than a famous board game where I watched the Battleship commercials back in the late 90's on Saturday mornings. I don't know why Rihanna is in the movie (I like her as a globalCan somebody please tell me why Battleship was turned into a movie? I have seen the Transformers and G.I. Joe TV series and movies, but thank god I'd stayed away from the theater watching a ridiculous funnier mess than a famous board game where I watched the Battleship commercials back in the late 90's on Saturday mornings. I don't know why Rihanna is in the movie (I like her as a global chart-topping singer), Taylor Kitsch hasn't seen a lot of love since his horrible box office flop, John Carter, and Peter Berg (I don't know about that director, but he's no Michael Bay) has one of the biggest mistakes in his career. Sure, he directed Friday Night Lights and all the work that he's done in the past. But this is 2012 and Battleship is not one of them. Look a little more like a rip-off of the Transformers movies. But since G.I. Joe will have to wait till next year, I'll say get my $10 bucks back and watch The Avengers instead. Battleship is one of the worst movie of the year. Expand
  20. Jul 6, 2012
    With those awesome Effects and Director Peters amazing direction Battleship still doesn't work because of its low story and Lame screenplay . Every si-fi movie needs some explication without it its just unworthy . Taylor Kitsch uneven performance as the lead made it so bad . on the other hand Brook did surprisingly well in her 2nd movie . and Skarsgård's role should have more wide.With those awesome Effects and Director Peters amazing direction Battleship still doesn't work because of its low story and Lame screenplay . Every si-fi movie needs some explication without it its just unworthy . Taylor Kitsch uneven performance as the lead made it so bad . on the other hand Brook did surprisingly well in her 2nd movie . and Skarsgård's role should have more wide. Rihannas acting was better then I expected that coz my exceptions were 0. But still the movie is watchable and Enjoyable but only if anyone put that horrible story out of mind . Expand
  21. Jul 12, 2014
    This movie blows my mind of, truly one of the most awesome film's of 2012!

This movie blows my mind of, truly one of the most awesome film's of 2012!

This film got everything from a massive amount of action, great CGI and a touching soundtrack to awesome actors and spectacular science fiction. I totally love the mix between the navy and alien encounters, so unique and so original. I got to say, the first time I saw this film I was like WOW, how awesome isn't this film, and I know it doesn't got a high rating, but I totally love this movie, it's so damn good. I really enjoyed the special effects, especially the lens flares, and the movie overall got a fantastic story. It's not a 10, because it didn't feel as a 10, and there are some mistakes the director (who I never have heard of before) did, and the ending could have been better.

Battleship is a damn awesome and cool movie, that really deserves a high score.

Battleship gets a 9/10
  22. Jun 9, 2012
    How about spending $200 million for an 'okay' movie? Well, that's what Universal did. By releasing it in the International Market way back in April, the studio managed to salvage a lot of dough to cover what many can consider as the most contrived movie project in recent years. The fact that it's watchable is a great testament to its production team, a semi miracle of sorts. But enoughHow about spending $200 million for an 'okay' movie? Well, that's what Universal did. By releasing it in the International Market way back in April, the studio managed to salvage a lot of dough to cover what many can consider as the most contrived movie project in recent years. The fact that it's watchable is a great testament to its production team, a semi miracle of sorts. But enough already! Michael Bay is a pretty decent director but stop 'aping' his style. Studios..if you want box office gold, make sure that the film itself has a great script..stop shooting yourself on the foot. Expand
  23. Mar 22, 2013
    Let's get straight to it, Battleship is a bad bad film. Taylor Kitsch was greatly mocked for starring in this film and John Carter, two of 2012's lesser acclaimed releases but I don't think he can shoulder too much of the blame here. Battleship's faults lie almost solely at the feet of the writers, Jon and Erich Hoeber.

The script is riddled, absolutely riddled with stinking dialogue

The script is riddled, absolutely riddled with stinking dialogue and the while obviously a certain amount of disbelief is required to even consider watching a film of Battleship's ilk, the plot has some laughable moments. I don't know which was worse, watching a previously decommissioned battleship being started up by a crew of geriatric veterans in no time at all, seeing said ship perform a handbrake turn at full speed by dropping anchor, the cringe-worthy references to The Art of War or seeing Rihanna try to act. Her speech about her father's alien prophecy is the stuff of nightmares. Thankfully for his sake, Liam Neeson's performance as the isolated Fleet Commander is limited.

I was sceptical of how the film might incorporate anything resembling the Battleship game, but the night battle using educated pot-shots at grid references in the style of the board game actually worked reasonably well. The enemy, or more importantly, its odd passive-aggressive, your turn-our turn behaviour, is conveniently never explained.

I know the film is supposed to be action-led, fun and O.T.T. and visually director Peter Berg does nothing wrong but most of the action is pretty stationary and quite repetitive and there is only so much you can forgive a terrible script. Come back Michael Bay, we forgive you for Transformers!
  24. Aug 29, 2012
    Basically a big a explosion jerkfest which i was expecting but with Liam neason in it who is such a great actor and has been in so many great films. i figured this should be atleast a decent SciFi flick . unfortunitly his role is so very very small and even if he had a big role it wouldn't have helped the extremely watered down plot thats pretty dull. The acting is sub par and the pacingBasically a big a explosion jerkfest which i was expecting but with Liam neason in it who is such a great actor and has been in so many great films. i figured this should be atleast a decent SciFi flick . unfortunitly his role is so very very small and even if he had a big role it wouldn't have helped the extremely watered down plot thats pretty dull. The acting is sub par and the pacing at the start is sluggish considering it does such a horrid job establishing any thing outside of horrably trying to have a few funny moments that fall flat on there face . The only fun moments come from the action which even then isn't the greatest but its ok. The CGI does look pretty good . Its a Popcorn flick but unfortunitly not a very good one. Expand
  25. Nov 23, 2014
    La película empieza de forma normal, después empieza a tornarse a su historia correspondiente, pero luego se pierde de su relato original y se va a un decline desfavorable, aunque cabe mencionar que logra entretener.
  26. Oct 2, 2012
    Though 'Battleship' wasn't the cinematic abortion I anticipated it to be (it's more like a cinematic miscarriage), it remains an unoriginal, exhausting, drawn-out, ridiculous experience. It lives up to all of the trappings of any standard summer action blockbuster and could easily be mistaken for another installment in the Transformers series (Transformers 4: The Revenge of Peter Berg).Though 'Battleship' wasn't the cinematic abortion I anticipated it to be (it's more like a cinematic miscarriage), it remains an unoriginal, exhausting, drawn-out, ridiculous experience. It lives up to all of the trappings of any standard summer action blockbuster and could easily be mistaken for another installment in the Transformers series (Transformers 4: The Revenge of Peter Berg). The resulting picture bears barely any resemblance to the game it is based off of and what respects the film does pay to its origins are more cringe-induced than tongue-in-cheek references (Really? The robots' missiles are actually peg shaped?) A better move might have been to have just ditched the board game idea and simply created an "original" product. As far as special effects are concerned, I remember when visuals and slow-motion were aspects of filmmaking used when necessary for effect, rather than as a time-filler to make up for an absence of originality. But even when the filmmakers realize this, they still feel the need to throw in factors like plot and characters, while their focus always remains on the razzle-dazzle. I would be more satisfied simply watching images going by, having no brain stimulation whatsoever, than being forced to watch uncomfortable looking actors try to bring out bland, ridiculous stock characters. In fact, I believe that watching robots blow each other up will cause less brain damage than watching these faux characters interact, if they are misconstrued as deep, real people. Not to say that there aren't any pleasures to be had at all in 'Battleship'. One, for instance, involves the frenetic pursuit of a burrito that, although less absurdly inspired than just plain absurd, delivers some zany fun to an otherwise airless movie. However, as a whole, 'Battleship' can't manage to stay afloat (stupid pun not intended). Expand
  27. May 22, 2012
    What was the story of the protagonist and the end of the story was boring, unoriginal and spent way too, but the action, the highlight of the movie, that intensity! I was surprised and not disappointed. special effects very good, but small details that failed second and sound respectable and throughout the Transformers saga. perhaps because of diplomatic problems but it bothers me a littleWhat was the story of the protagonist and the end of the story was boring, unoriginal and spent way too, but the action, the highlight of the movie, that intensity! I was surprised and not disappointed. special effects very good, but small details that failed second and sound respectable and throughout the Transformers saga. perhaps because of diplomatic problems but it bothers me a little films that are so Americanized. but overall good. Expand
  28. Mar 18, 2013
    Atrocious. There´s nothing else to say. This film is nothing. And making a film that is nothing when having a 200 million budget is really difficult. Pathetic.
  29. Mar 19, 2013
    I gave this a 6 because I was entertained. Lets get this out of the way the main thing about this film is finding out what the thing is, they aren't developing characters its just a film about finding out what it is. I tell you some parts become boring, but like Sucker Punch when that action kicks in you won't be able to take your eyes away. Rihanna yeah she was good in this. I can say itI gave this a 6 because I was entertained. Lets get this out of the way the main thing about this film is finding out what the thing is, they aren't developing characters its just a film about finding out what it is. I tell you some parts become boring, but like Sucker Punch when that action kicks in you won't be able to take your eyes away. Rihanna yeah she was good in this. I can say it entertained me more then "Transformers, Revenge of the Fallen. Twilight, Avatar, The Last Airbender, Dont Be Afraid of the Dark, The Hunger Games) Expand
  30. Apr 22, 2014
    A really boring movie. It was a cool concept but it didn't work for me. I am a big action movie fan and all of the action scenes in this movie I found really boring. They were supposed to keep you entertained with those action scenes as there were so many of them but it didn't do its job well. Also there was sub par acting so it is also a bad movie in that sense.
  31. Jun 1, 2012
    This movie was really good. No idea why so much hate. Lots of great action. Huge battleships firing all their weapons = sweeeeeet. Sure it may be a little cheesy at times but it really doesn't detract from the overall movie. If you are a fan of some high quality action with a decent enough story (I liked the story better than the avengers' one) then def see this movie if it is still around.
  32. Aug 16, 2012
    I can see why this film wasn't a raving succes: it's just too ridiculous! Why aren't the aliens using energy weapons, they would have won easily? Why do we have to watch retirement folks battle on a museum ship? Why are those aliens so stupid and pacifistic? Why is Taylor Kitsch such a bad actor who makes bad script lines even worse? As you can tell, not a very good film, though the VFXI can see why this film wasn't a raving succes: it's just too ridiculous! Why aren't the aliens using energy weapons, they would have won easily? Why do we have to watch retirement folks battle on a museum ship? Why are those aliens so stupid and pacifistic? Why is Taylor Kitsch such a bad actor who makes bad script lines even worse? As you can tell, not a very good film, though the VFX are pretty good but that's about the only reason why you would want to see this film :) Expand
  33. May 31, 2012
    Rihanna Saves This Movie From Being A 4!
    Thats All I Can Say Rihanna Is Amazing In his Film!
    The Scrips Plot=1/10
  34. Feb 20, 2013
    Battleship pleasantly surprised me. At first I was skeptical, having read many negative reviews and the fact that it was based on the boardgame Battleship. However, as the movie progressed I started to quite enjoy myself. The acting at the start of the movie is wooden and there are a lot of people on screen that I've never seen before but that's not a bad thing if you ask me, it seems likeBattleship pleasantly surprised me. At first I was skeptical, having read many negative reviews and the fact that it was based on the boardgame Battleship. However, as the movie progressed I started to quite enjoy myself. The acting at the start of the movie is wooden and there are a lot of people on screen that I've never seen before but that's not a bad thing if you ask me, it seems like they can come up with better plots and set pieces when they get less well-known actors. And good set pieces they are! This movie has truly magnificient action scenes. If they were to cinematize Monopoly I hope it'll have just as many of 'm! Don't go in expecting intrigue and deep conversations, watch this movie for what it is; a science-fiction action-movie about naval battles and military tradition and you'll be in for a heck of a ride. The only thing I can't wrap my head around is why Rihanna? I think there were quite a few first time actors in this movie (Gregory D. Gadson, playing double-amputee-turns-saviour saviour Mick Canoles, for example) who showed much more talent and on-screen presence despite having much less screen-time and probably a much smaller paycheck.They should have picked someone else to play her. All the scenes she was in could have easily been replaced by a cheap extra and no one would have felt anything was missing. Absolute recommendation for those who enjoy larger-than-life CGI battles. Expand
  35. Jun 14, 2014
    Hahahahahahahahahaha. The entire movie was nothing more than a huge USA ego trip. Stupid story, boring characters and worst of all you wanna sell me a story that the entire navy of the world that was gathered there for these games couldn't stop the alien ships but some old battleship rotting in the docks could. Are you f****** kidding me? Urgh, I can't believe I actually watched this c***.
  36. Oct 19, 2012
    The battle sequences clearly make this movie. The characters/dialogue seem to be there because they have to be, and you can easily see the screw-up-redeems-himself theme from the beginning. But wow, the action sequences were First Rate! Think Halo Invasion. Very tight with a jump-up and fist-pump-the-air ending sequence. Highly recommended.
  37. Nov 26, 2013
    It has its good action scenes, but when it comes to the acting, it has no way of ever being good. It has many dialogue that doesn't fit in with the theme, and has such a terrible and random destruction scene. I would recommend saving your money for a movie worth watching.
  38. May 28, 2012
    Honestly When I Saw The Preview I Thought "Oh God No"
    I Watched The Movie And I Have To Say The Effects Are Amazing!
    The Plot Is Ok.. Somwhat Meh.. The Acting Is Pretty Good!
    Rihanna's Acting Debut Is Amazing! She Is A Great Actress, Cant Wait To See More Of Her In Movies!
  39. Jul 29, 2013
    Micheal Bay directed this with astral projection. so many pointless sequences Bad actors all except for Liam Neeson Dumb story trying to cater to bimbos who don't no sci fi.
  40. Nov 5, 2012
    About as good as a movie based on a board game can get. It had an okay cast, a slightly interesting but boring story, and a good climax. Honestly I think the critics were a little harsh, but it wasn't the best. Not something you would pay to see in theaters, but certainly something you could get at a Redbox machine on a boring Friday night.
  41. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was actually surprised by this film. I was expecting a god awful film. I got a very average film though. The pieces are there for Battleship. It has potential. It does need some things to change though (The soccer scene, no main character dying, freaking Rihanna) but overall this is actually a pretty decent film. I'd like to see them take another crack at this film, because with a few changes, this could be a very good film. Expand
  42. May 31, 2012
    This is one of the worst huge budget action movies I have ever seen. I'm giving it a 3 because most of the special effects were impressive and the sound engineering is great. That being said, This movie, other than one really forced battle sequence, has nothing to do with the game of Battleship. Instead of Battle Los Angeles, this is Battle Hawaii. The plot is ludicrous. The writing isThis is one of the worst huge budget action movies I have ever seen. I'm giving it a 3 because most of the special effects were impressive and the sound engineering is great. That being said, This movie, other than one really forced battle sequence, has nothing to do with the game of Battleship. Instead of Battle Los Angeles, this is Battle Hawaii. The plot is ludicrous. The writing is terrible and obvious. It is corny and hokey.The acting is not great. It was a major disappointment. Liam Neeson was smart to make sure that his screen time in this stinker stayed to a minimum. Expand
  43. May 22, 2012
    It gets a 1 for Liam, other wise omg how could they sink $200 million into this waste of time that's really just a recruitment for the Navy. Awful dialogue, cardboard acting, giant plot holes. OK its just an action flick but it's no wonder it's bombing.
  44. Jan 4, 2013
    The only reason I didn't give this film a pure zilch score is because of the visuals, presence of Rihanna and some humorous moments. The plot is ridiculously predictable, the acting wooden and the script cheesy and clumsy, Battleship resides in the gutter, where you'll find films by Michael Bay along with the Twilight Saga.
  45. May 29, 2012
    If you go into this movie expecting a good action flick, you'll be disappointed. If you go in looking for a good laugh at a typical, cliche filled action/alien movie, you'll be entertained. But it's never good when a movie is hilarious while trying to be serious.
  46. Jan 29, 2013
    Battleship has the prestigious award of the worst film I saw in the cinema of 2012. Battleship is very CGI heavy. which is something you should come to expect from the genre of this film (which I like to call, trying to be Transformers). But here is something amazing, the film is quite a lot better than the Transformers movies for a couple of reasons: The premise is so ridiculous it almostBattleship has the prestigious award of the worst film I saw in the cinema of 2012. Battleship is very CGI heavy. which is something you should come to expect from the genre of this film (which I like to call, trying to be Transformers). But here is something amazing, the film is quite a lot better than the Transformers movies for a couple of reasons: The premise is so ridiculous it almost works and the action sequences are better and less random to watch than the scenes of a similar nature that appear in Transformers. This is about as good as a film based on Battleship could be (especially considering they pulled in Rihanna for her unholy acting talent!). Droll, 50/100. Expand
  47. Aug 3, 2012
    I will be brief with this review of Battleship, because there's absolutely nothing worth discussing in this film. The premise and screenplay for this movie was already bad, but director Peter Berg drives this film below the ground. Box office poison Taylor Kitch, True Blood's Alexander Skarsgard, Hottie/singer Rihanna along with the rest of the cast give a collectively dismal performance.I will be brief with this review of Battleship, because there's absolutely nothing worth discussing in this film. The premise and screenplay for this movie was already bad, but director Peter Berg drives this film below the ground. Box office poison Taylor Kitch, True Blood's Alexander Skarsgard, Hottie/singer Rihanna along with the rest of the cast give a collectively dismal performance. Battleship was an empty barrel, riddled with cliches and disdainful dialogue. The dialogue in this was so terrible, one of the characters in the movie had to stop and ask, ' Who talks like that?'. This movie has rightfully been compared to the Transformers films (in fact it was worse), but at least Transformers had exemplary technical elements. Do yourself a favor and skip this one. Expand
  48. Mar 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you are looking for some mindless action, Battleship is for you. Yes, the acting and plot sucked but I was mildly entertained the whole time. I thought the way they played up the board game grid was kind of cool and just reminded me of being a kid and playing battleship. The aliens were a little Transformers rip offs but they were still cool to watch. Was this movie fantastic, absolutely not but I have seen worse. Expand
  49. May 19, 2012
    Spoiler alert! Things blow up! The plot cant blow up because there is none. Almost less as Dark Shadows, but louder and with more VFX. Avoid this movie at all costs.
  50. Jul 7, 2012
    Good news! This movie is not bad. Seriously... I went to see this movie particularly because every one in the media said this was beyond awful. The second flop of the summer. So I did the sensible thing and grabbed a couple of friends. Although I had to bribe them with free tickets because they wouldn't volunteer otherwise. I figured if I'm going to attend an airplane crash I'll needGood news! This movie is not bad. Seriously... I went to see this movie particularly because every one in the media said this was beyond awful. The second flop of the summer. So I did the sensible thing and grabbed a couple of friends. Although I had to bribe them with free tickets because they wouldn't volunteer otherwise. I figured if I'm going to attend an airplane crash I'll need witnesses. So I made the investment. And guess what? This movie wasn't bad at all!
    My one friend said the movie had nothing to do with the promotional efforts out there. While the other said he loved the action. Personally, I thought it was a simply good popcorn movie.
    The issue with this movie falling below expectations might be that disease that has plagued a lot of super expensive Hollywood movies for a decade now. The marketing for the film set the bar so high that it was impossible to find it pleasing. I understand the studio accountants have to justify the expense and push that thing out there hard. But the reason why all three of us enjoyed this movie is exactly the opposite reason: We expected nothing of it... Perhaps this is what Hollywood oughtta take a page from. Let some projects fly a bit more on their own and they fly farther.
    As far as the movie's own merits. The acting was a job well done by everyone. The characters were written vacuous enough to fulfill their action movie gig. Not much else was expected from them, and they delivered well. Sometimes acting is best served sushi style. Raw and simple.
    The plot was clear from the get go. You know where it's headed and expect to get there as all big Hollywood movies do. Blowing stuff up. And the explosions looked awesome. The special effects were amazing. I was hoping more aliens would show up. Blow up those suckers again!
    There were a couple of surprise turns sprinkled here and there just to keep my eyes away from the pop corn but not enough to complicate things. The biggest one being the old crew in the museum boat. Maybe they did take it a bit into the hokey lane with that one. But, let's face it, old folks buy tickets too, and what would be a Hollywood blockbuster without a little camp in it?
  51. May 18, 2012
    I was surprised I really enjoyed the film I thought it was going to be a Transformers reject but it ended up being pretty decent plenty of action half decent story may be a little too long but well worth a watch..
  52. Aug 8, 2012
    The plot did seem a little flimsy, however overall I did enjoy watching the movie, the relationship between the main Japanese character and the main American character was hilarious while still very buddy-like.
  53. May 29, 2012
    The film adaptation of Battleship proves to be about as poor as one might imagine. The movie rips off a number of recent flicks -- namely of the alien-invasion-leads-to-mass-destruction variety -- most of which are derivative enough as it is. Thusly viewers get a simultaneously bloated and watered down translation of the popular Hasbro game. One sequence comes close to dramatic lineThe film adaptation of Battleship proves to be about as poor as one might imagine. The movie rips off a number of recent flicks -- namely of the alien-invasion-leads-to-mass-destruction variety -- most of which are derivative enough as it is. Thusly viewers get a simultaneously bloated and watered down translation of the popular Hasbro game. One sequence comes close to dramatic line readings of "B3!"/"Hit!" with related visuals, but most of Battleship comes off as an excuse to, say, blow stuff up real good. Of course the movie can barely do this well; the action scenes are so poorly edited that one can barely make sense of the confusion. Bright lights and loud noises bombard the senses. The rest of the movie involves several pasted together subplots featuring a parade of cliches -- such as a rebellious Navy lieutenant seeking the approval of his girlfriend's father while also learning to take command of his men; the aforementioned girlfriend's work with a wounded veteran, who learns how to accept the loss of his legs and respect himself again; the scientist whose work brought on the alien invasion, and his reluctant stabs at bravery. This would all be well and good if these matters were given the thought and time they deserve, but instead, the filmmakers decide to throw aliens at everyone, and their attributes become decorations. Not that one should expect more from a movie based on a board game, but the characters are too poorly defined to care about. Again much of the alien invasion is not well done. The effects are decent but more often than not indiscernible, and some of the designs are simply lazy. A mildly rousing conclusion featuring a historical battleship and WWII vets comes off as too little, too late to save this hulking train wreck. There is a cultural problem with movies like these, ones eager to depict mass destruction without pausing to consider the presumed loss of life. Typically they earn a PG-13 rating, allowing audiences too young for R-rated flicks to bear witness. But how exactly is the younger generation supposed to feel when buildings in Hong Kong are destroyed, especially when the movie flaunts its big explosions and toppling buildings? Those eagerly awaiting the next Transformers sequel or some similarly brain-dead nonevent will likely enjoy this movie. Others should simply steer clear. Battleship is one of those movies no one will really remember in a few years, let alone in a few months. Expand
  54. May 20, 2012
    First off, I gave this movie's preview hell. The premise seemed very stupid to me, especially since it was based on one of the first RTS games ever made. I heard alot about this movie being patriotic, so I was okay with at least trying to sit through it. Surprisingly, this film caught me off guard. At times the acting was a little off, but the action was entertaining. I want to give propsFirst off, I gave this movie's preview hell. The premise seemed very stupid to me, especially since it was based on one of the first RTS games ever made. I heard alot about this movie being patriotic, so I was okay with at least trying to sit through it. Surprisingly, this film caught me off guard. At times the acting was a little off, but the action was entertaining. I want to give props to the real life war veteran who lost his legs, the soldier in the movie named "Nick". He actually did a pretty good job. His performance seemed real. There was clapping in the theater when he stood up to the alien. Also, I think the most badass part of the film was when they got the USS Missouri Battleship into the picture. The old crew that helped get it operational was freakin' awesome. Those old guys were legit. I think overall, the premise was silly, but the delivery was great. I give props to the director, Peter Berg, for including members of the Navy in his picture. It added to the genuine factor. Go see this movie with an open mind, and you just might have a good time. Expand
  55. Jul 8, 2012
    Noisy,dumb,and with one of the worst scripts i have already seen,this movie is Transformers 2 with ships.Despite some good visual effects by Industrial light and magic
  56. Mar 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What this movie lacked in substance made up for it in heart. How can you not enjoy Veterans coming back to help save this earth from an alien invasion. Not a great movie but certainly not terrible. The comic relief saved this film. Expand
  57. May 6, 2013
    Well they tried making the story good and interesting but maybe they should have just concentrated on the action more rather than trying and failing on story development. Transformer ripoff gone wrong.
  58. Nov 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILER ALERT: THERE'S EXPLOSIONS AND AN ALIEN INVASION!!!!!! That's all there is to it. If you're brain-dead, then you might enjoy this Hollywood headache. Expand
  59. Feb 24, 2013
    Rihanna is the worst actress I've ever seen. So terrible.
  60. Mar 3, 2013
    Stop it. This was a GOOD MOVIE. I have no idea why people are saying its bad. I'll honestly say the action didn't have the best effects but they really worn't too bad. But the plot was a little ''awkward''. But overall an okay movie.
  61. May 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. â Expand
  62. Oct 10, 2012
    There is only one fun element, one remotely enjoyable aspect about this film. I guarantee you that's all that you can call a 'positive aspect' of Battleship. And that's watching the guns fire on the actual warships. Which maybe takes up ten minutes of the film or so.
  63. Jan 10, 2015
    There is absolutely no words to describe how truly god-awful this movie was. It almost felt like something Michael Bay would cook up if he weren't doing any Transformer movies. The story was dumb from the get-go with no depth or substance in it what-so-ever. Liam Neeson was really the only redeeming quality in this overly dumb, Transformers rip-off.
  64. Nov 5, 2014
    I was trying to decide between a 6 or a 7 because the storyline was non-existent. What saved the movie IMO was the special effects and the action within the movie. It had some good actors/actresses in it as well, but overall the movie had no spark to it. I would recommend watching it, because it's an interesting movie, especially if you like action/military stuff, but other than that it'sI was trying to decide between a 6 or a 7 because the storyline was non-existent. What saved the movie IMO was the special effects and the action within the movie. It had some good actors/actresses in it as well, but overall the movie had no spark to it. I would recommend watching it, because it's an interesting movie, especially if you like action/military stuff, but other than that it's just another regular movie, nothing spectacular. Expand
  65. Aug 23, 2012
    This movie is simply stupid.
  66. Jul 17, 2012
    "Battleship" is ultimately a disappointment. Most of the characters are dull, but the main characters are bearable. In the end, the action doesn't drag on too much, and the special effects are visually engaging, but the film doesn't warrant watching it a second time.
  67. Jun 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is it watchable? Yes - sort of. Is the SFX good? It's okay. In reality would the aliens destroy us in order to keep stupid films like this from escaping earth and lowering the IQ quotient of the whole galaxy? Undoubtedly. Overall: It's not even worth paying to hire it on DVD. For some reason Metacritic wouldn't let me write a review even several weeks after the film had premiered in Australia, as the little countdown was still ticking. I assume that the site got paid off to hold back all the negative reviews, cause this film sucked hard. An irresponsible **** joins the Navy and becomes a Lieutenant (no, not Rhianna, I'm talking about Taylor Kitsch), because even morons get to high rank in the Navy without any effort these days. Aliens turn up... and then they do nothing (except when attacked). Huh. Well, it's a different plot, to be sure. There's even 5 minutes of the boardgame-type warfare in the film (which is actually the films strongest part... and then they ditch it). Poor acting, poor script, poor film. 4 out of 10. Expand
  68. Dec 11, 2012
    This was absolutely not the worst movie I have ever seen, which was a pleasant surprise. It was actually OK. Not Good mind you, but ok. Acting was flat and the premise was close to retarded, but the scenes flowed smoothly and the dialog (for an alien invasion sci fi pic) wasn't so bad it was laughable (Skyline, Battlefield: LA). I was mildly entertained.
  69. Feb 10, 2014
    If you like action films packed will explosive special effects then Battleship will blow you away. In this film the explosions are even more realistic than the ones in 12 Rounds.
    But the film isn't always great, the beginning does lack in action. And the film also gives the viewer a bit too much information at the beginning. This is bad because it can cause the viewer to become confused and lose interest. Although the beginning makes up for its lack of action by introducing a very funny shop-lifting scene. The lack of action at the beginning also gives the film a chance to introduce the characters and the plot, which is good because this helps the viewer to feel more involved in the film.
    The film is about a group scientists who create a device that allows them to communicate with a planet that is similar to ours. But when they do communicate the planet sends five spaceships that are armed with guns and aliens, to our planet. Luckily the ship that is used to communicate crash lands into Hong Kong and is destroyed so now the four remaining ships have to use our device to communicate, with their home planet, which can only send one message per day.
    The other four ships land in the middle of the ocean where they are soon met by a group of Navy Destroyer ships.
    As I said before, the film does lack in action at the beginning but once the action starts it doesn't stop. The action starts when the Navy Destroyer ships meet the spaceships in the middle of the ocean. In this scene special effects are used to show how advanced the aliens' weapons are. Also in this scene slow-motion effects are used to show how close some of the explosives are to hitting the navy ships.
    As well as explosive action scenes this film also has some great fight scenes. I think the best fight scene is when one of the aliens gets on one of the Navy Destroyer ships and in order to stop their ship from sinking the soldiers have to fight the alien. The thing that makes the fight interesting is that the alien is an armoured suit and the soldiers don't have any armour on at all. The scene also keeps the viewer interested with some comedy and an explosive ending.
    But this fight scene is nothing compared to my favourite scene which is near the end of the movie, when the remaining soldiers are forced to use a 70 year-old battleship to fight against one of the spaceships. This scene is great because it builds up suspense by showing how advanced the aliens' weapons are and also when the captain of the ship, Alex Hopper (Taylor Kitsch), uses a unique technique to fight against the aliens, which builds up suspense.
    I would recommend this film to anyone who like action films with great special effects, comedy and suspense and I would rate this film 9 out of 10.
  70. Aug 10, 2012
    BATTLESHIP is a bit like JJ Abram's STAR TREK and a bit like Michael Bay's TRANSFORMERS, except that it is better than both of those films combined (it's more exciting, the explosions are handled with more finesse, and Brooklyn Decker is 3 times hotter than Megan Fox.) Only Decker's and Rihanna's stilted acting detracts a little from the overall excellence of the film, which works on soBATTLESHIP is a bit like JJ Abram's STAR TREK and a bit like Michael Bay's TRANSFORMERS, except that it is better than both of those films combined (it's more exciting, the explosions are handled with more finesse, and Brooklyn Decker is 3 times hotter than Megan Fox.) Only Decker's and Rihanna's stilted acting detracts a little from the overall excellence of the film, which works on so many levels. It is also ingenious how the writers managed to link it to the Hasbro game, and tie everything together nicely. I expected this movie to suck, but it turned out to be one the best films I have ever watched on the big screen. Expand
  71. Jun 12, 2012
    It was alright. Entertaining, but very cliche. Mainly all action with little story. In the end it was an entertaining movie, but just entertaining. nothing special
  72. Sep 7, 2012
    Going into Battleship I expected a cliche movie and putting myself into the mood of mindless stupid loud action and that's exactly what I got. It was entertaining to a certain point. From the scene where Taylor Kitsch and his crew team up with the old "badass" veterans till the end was more entertaining than the rest of the movie. Cheesy? Yes, but watchable for only one time. It wasn't tooGoing into Battleship I expected a cliche movie and putting myself into the mood of mindless stupid loud action and that's exactly what I got. It was entertaining to a certain point. From the scene where Taylor Kitsch and his crew team up with the old "badass" veterans till the end was more entertaining than the rest of the movie. Cheesy? Yes, but watchable for only one time. It wasn't too bad, though it's definitely not a memorable-good-time kind of movie . Expand
  73. Oct 17, 2012
    Simply put: the only way anyone can enjoy this movie is if they leave their brain at home. It's just pure stupidity, with some of the worst acting you'll see in a long time. Don't get me wrong, the movie itself was a good idea, the problem is that it's just so typically Hollywood you literally have to become a vegetable to enjoy it.
  74. Sep 9, 2013
    I was, not surprisingly, let down by this movie. Special effects were great, but acting and plot was mediocre at best. $200M for a movie about a board game! For the most part, the movie had nothing to do with the Hasbro game. They were able to weave in a few references to the game. Transformers was a much better "Hasbro" movie imo.
  75. May 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Battleship was OK. I mean, it is your prototypical action movie... heaps of mindless action with a bland story to bundle it all together in plastic wrap. If you are the type that will get a kick out of mindless action, then Battleship has you covered. However, if you want more than that, you may want to turn elsewhere. It has enough moments to distinguish itself as its own movie and story, but in the end, the story boils down to an immature character learning maturity the hard way, with a couple of stupid and dull romantic scenes to help the main character show off more of his personality. It is the number one way to cop out of dynamically developing a character on screen. The soundtrack is mostly rock but the soundtrack felt forced into the movie instead of really enhancing it. You could remove most of the music and it wouldn't really influence the quality of the movie. Long story short... go if you love your high octane mindless action movie, but think twice if you want something more than that. Expand
  76. May 21, 2012
    What's the first thing on your mind if you imagine Battleship? Aliens? Of course, the whole plot of the movie can be summed by this: someone makes some horrible decision in order to trigger the mandatory action scene. So we have the government who thinks that would be nice to send "peaceful messages to aliens", the main character who thinks its' better to act like a douche bag instead of,What's the first thing on your mind if you imagine Battleship? Aliens? Of course, the whole plot of the movie can be summed by this: someone makes some horrible decision in order to trigger the mandatory action scene. So we have the government who thinks that would be nice to send "peaceful messages to aliens", the main character who thinks its' better to act like a douche bag instead of, you now, enjoying your high-salary work and your mandatory hot blonde who serves no purpose. Computer graphic was impressive in the early 90's, now everything seems lifeless. Characters are just there to be killed, This movie is fun if you like criticize bad films with your sarcastic friends, otherwise, stay away Expand
  77. Feb 16, 2013
    What a flick Battleships is. They said a movie of a board game could never be done but Battleships proved them wrong. And strictly speaking, you don't really use a board in the game. The game itself is just a heap of guessing and stuff, but the movie ups the game and adds an alien invasion that you really don't see coming. This has Rihanna the pop singer. Bit of a boy's haircut in this butWhat a flick Battleships is. They said a movie of a board game could never be done but Battleships proved them wrong. And strictly speaking, you don't really use a board in the game. The game itself is just a heap of guessing and stuff, but the movie ups the game and adds an alien invasion that you really don't see coming. This has Rihanna the pop singer. Bit of a boy's haircut in this but boy can she act. And Liam Neeson. YES, THAT Liam Neeson. From Taken 2. Brilliant A-list stars. And they're not even the main people in it. That's how crazy this movie is. Expand
  78. Aug 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Being a huge fan of action/sci-fi flicks, I was really looking forward to this particular movie. Unfortunately, it did not manage to live up to my expectations. Mega hype over nothing. The story itself wasn't as bad at all, but what did fall short is the casting. For example, you would imagine the character Mick to be this rough and tough, more grungier man, whereas instead he is just a soft spoken guy with a rough exterior. All in all, I would not recommend you to put this on the top of your movie watch list. It can wait. Expand
  79. Aug 31, 2012
    I really wanted to like this movie, but I struggled. Fast forward to the action sequences and you'll be OK. The best character scenes come from the big black disabled soldier, his blonde physio and the geek (you'll spot them easy enough) and they are worth watching. 8 for the three characters I mentioned and the action scenes, 0 for the rest of the movie. 5 overall.
  80. Apr 7, 2013
    This is a film that really surprised me. Given what I'd heard said about it, I put this movie on one day mainly on a whim, kind of that "okay, let's see how bad this movie really is." Truth be told, Battleship is actually a really decent film for what it seeks to do. I cannot understand how in a market where the Transformers franchise does well that this film was received so poorly. ThisThis is a film that really surprised me. Given what I'd heard said about it, I put this movie on one day mainly on a whim, kind of that "okay, let's see how bad this movie really is." Truth be told, Battleship is actually a really decent film for what it seeks to do. I cannot understand how in a market where the Transformers franchise does well that this film was received so poorly. This is a great special effects-driven, action-based military sci-fi film. It's Independence Day at sea. The scriptwriting is certainly no worse than the average summer popcorn film today and is in many ways better. Is this a triumph of "filmmaking art?" Of course not. It's a movie based on a board game that centers around calling out random grid references. There's no plot in the game, so everything had to be created from scratch. And I'll tell you this: they did a good job creating something from nothing. The story is engaging if you let it be, and the characters really do have dimension to them (not much, but some). Taylor Kitsch did an acceptable job as the film's main character, and you can say what you like, but I thought Rhianna did a good job in her role, which is basically about trying to show how difficult it is to be a serving woman in a male military machine. Special effects were top notch (anybody familiar with how difficult small-scale water rendering is will appreciate what they've done here). There are a few clever homages to the game, too, which is unexpected. And humor? Plenty enough to keep it from being a downer and enough to make the film just plain fun. I'm giving it an 8, though, so here are the reasons for deductions. One, this is not a triumph of filmmaking, it's not destined to be a classic. But here's the thing: it NEVER WAS. This film does not pretend to be Battleship Potemkin, it just wants to be Battleship. Two, this film is heavily reliant on special effects and less on character driven plot, sort of the inverse of Independence Day which showed a surprising amount of character development for a special effects movie. Gripe if you must, but Battleship is and only ever was about a pure action film, and it succeeds in that goal. It's about cheering for your team during the alien invasion and watching debris flying all over the place. If you want a don't-need-to-think-about-it, pure fun action fest (and who doesn't from time to time?), then go watch Battleship; that was the mission it was built to complete. A well-earned 8 for a pure action film without pretense: it's just about the action and fun. Expand
  81. Jun 3, 2012
    this movie gets a 0/10 from me, the script NEVER made sense, the cheesy dialogue was just bad, terribly placed and even though it was randomly placed any time during the action scenes, you could know what they were going to say. The story makes no sense at all and it isn't funny. I was very pissed at the movie. The digital effects were pretty amazing, but nothing else in the movie is acceptable
  82. Aug 9, 2012
    Just watched the movie with my kids and surprisingly considering all the negative reviews, had a blast. It is what it is . A well made over the top ridiculous action movie with some very funny moments. It doesnt pretend to be anything else unlike a movie such as Prometheus which was pretentious garbage in my opinion. Check brain at door and just go with it. Taylor Kitsch and Rihanna areJust watched the movie with my kids and surprisingly considering all the negative reviews, had a blast. It is what it is . A well made over the top ridiculous action movie with some very funny moments. It doesnt pretend to be anything else unlike a movie such as Prometheus which was pretentious garbage in my opinion. Check brain at door and just go with it. Taylor Kitsch and Rihanna are both very good and the supporting cast is for the most part good too. Expand
  83. Jul 15, 2012
    I was REALLY looking forward to this movie, but Rihanna ruins it. She was a terrible actress (not surprising, considering she's a singer), and her constant ad-libbing ruined the immersion and made me groan. The only reason to go see this movie is for some cool-looking effects, and if that's all it takes to entertain you, you are either six years old or Micheal Bay.
  84. Jul 28, 2012
    As critic i wouldnt give that much for this movie but... I enjoyed the movie and i dont regret watching it. Some moments were confusing but didnt f*ck up my movie experience.
  85. Sep 23, 2012
    "There is no way they can ***¨this movie!Its just a movie based on a war board game!it will be a movie about of war of course!" That is what i tought.oh boy was i wrong.Instead they gave me a **** movie with an absurd story,bad actors,lame development,and lets not forget the thing that f*** it all since the beggining,ALIENS!!!ON A MOVIE BASED ON A SIMPLE ESTRATIGIC WAR GAME!!!!GOD!!!!!!!
  86. Jun 9, 2014
    This movie has some exciting action scene, but it is just extremely boring. The plot is so retarded. I can't believe I spent money to watch this. Not only the movie is bad, the game is even worse than it. I am not going to purchase anything with the word "Battleship" on it again.
  87. Jan 15, 2013
    Boring Rubbish. The acting was fair enough however I think Rihanna should stick to music. but the story and plot is just boring. Ships shoot at space ships things blow up and that's it. There is an attempt at some kind of love story on the side but it really adds nothing off value to the story and is just pointless. The veterans who help pilot the USS Missouri was just a too bit weird forBoring Rubbish. The acting was fair enough however I think Rihanna should stick to music. but the story and plot is just boring. Ships shoot at space ships things blow up and that's it. There is an attempt at some kind of love story on the side but it really adds nothing off value to the story and is just pointless. The veterans who help pilot the USS Missouri was just a too bit weird for me it was a nice idea but did not really work in the film fair acting and poor story make for a film that you really can miss. Expand
  88. Apr 4, 2013
    Battleship packs itself with action but still reserves some time for relationships between characters to be explored and for some very funny moments. Liam Neeson's performance is believable and engaging, however, the inclusion of many other characters such as that of Rhianna's just feel unnecessary and forced. The CGI, which probably takes up half the movie, is near-flawless and some ofBattleship packs itself with action but still reserves some time for relationships between characters to be explored and for some very funny moments. Liam Neeson's performance is believable and engaging, however, the inclusion of many other characters such as that of Rhianna's just feel unnecessary and forced. The CGI, which probably takes up half the movie, is near-flawless and some of the ideas used in the story are new and stop it becoming as predictable as some might expect. As a whole, the movie cannot be taken seriously and is so cheesy in parts that people may actually have to look away to avoid dying of awkwardness, but for what it is, Battleship is a quality Sci-Fi action movie. Expand
  89. Jul 8, 2012
    Now i know not all movies appeal to everyone, but i severely believe that Battleship has been MAJORLY discredited. The affects are great, as is the action, actors and plot of the film (though granted, it isnt something you have to pay attentive attention to to keep up with it). it held my attention all the way through, and i loved the small references that could be linked back to theNow i know not all movies appeal to everyone, but i severely believe that Battleship has been MAJORLY discredited. The affects are great, as is the action, actors and plot of the film (though granted, it isnt something you have to pay attentive attention to to keep up with it). it held my attention all the way through, and i loved the small references that could be linked back to the beloved battleship board game. Expand
  90. Jun 26, 2012
    Expectation: moderate, mostly predictable story revealed in fx heavy trailers

Expectation: moderate, mostly predictable story revealed in fx heavy trailers

Delivery: As a movie fan, I've developed thick skin towards the typical bad boy turned hero, military propaganda, token Black characters, the hard as nails woman, and characters who, during action scenes, blurt out catch-phrases like talking stuffed animals, but Battleship has waaaay too many of these infractions to ignore. Its common to have to suspend belief to accept some movie plots, but Battleship asks you to leave some brain cells at home and lock your common sense in the car. Too many coincidences put the characters in position, and the all too familiar "screw up who loves the bosses daughter but has to win the boss over by unlocking his true potential, proving himself to said boss" set up. This crappy setup makes it harder to except the pretty exciting cgi fest that follows. Battleship is worth a matinee or a weekend rental. Lower your expectations, turn off your common sense and Battleship will make for a moderately enjoyable popcorn flick
  91. Oct 7, 2012
    This was a good movie, based on the board game. Had some good action moments, but still left alot to be desired as far as a plot. The movie idea (based on a ship) made the ability to have action and a plot very limited. Still a decent job was done with what was available.
  92. Oct 31, 2012
    Battleship really has got some stunning special effects and for that i take my hat off to it, but it is based on the battleships board-game,(Jesus what has life come to?) The film was mostly enjoyable but did have its (very) crap moments. Go out and buy it. Your worth it!
  93. Jul 25, 2013
    I didn't like this film, the acting was bad and the plot! What plot? This made Transformers look good, not Rise of the Fallen, fortunately the visuals were spectacular and I can't deny that some of the action scenes were great but the rest of the movie was so stupid and just unbearable. This is what I imagine Teenagers will enjoy...It's bad.
  94. May 16, 2013
    This sunk mine. WOW. Rihanna was terrible. Kitsch was not good. The script stinks. Very noisy, and the plot is ridiculous. Really, really bad. Save yourself the time you will spend drooling through this wonder and do something much more enjoyable and rewarding like watching paint dry, or scraping the white stuff off your tongue.
  95. Jul 16, 2013
    This film reminded me non-stop of Transformers. In fact sometimes I even thought I WAS watching transformers.

When it comes to films action and military are one of my tops, however that's all that was good in this. The visual effects were amazing, they also had some great actors, however the story was generic, overly cliche and because of that just a tad boring. However some of the script is great and funny in parts, plus the portrayal of the military in this film was pretty damn good.

Recommend watching as a rental and then decide if you want to buy.
  96. Nov 16, 2013
    COMPLETE movie.

I've heard some people talk about battleship in a way of it's so bad it's good or it's a fun goofy bad, but it's not like that whatsoever, it's just complete When it's not throwing cringe-worthy jokes and horrible acting, which isn't even amusing in a bad way, it's putting you to sleep. I honestly was having a hard time staying awake in the middle area of the movie.
    COMPLETE movie.

Absolutely horrible.
  97. Mar 7, 2014
    This movie wasnt awful, but it wasnt particularly good either. A dumb plot with lack of actual ship fights holds this movie down until the end where the USS Missouri fights the motherhship. I can usually accept a bad plot and stuff when it's supposed to be non stop unrealistic action, and this is no exception. I don't love it, I don't hate it, it's just a generic summer blockbuster; mostlyThis movie wasnt awful, but it wasnt particularly good either. A dumb plot with lack of actual ship fights holds this movie down until the end where the USS Missouri fights the motherhship. I can usually accept a bad plot and stuff when it's supposed to be non stop unrealistic action, and this is no exception. I don't love it, I don't hate it, it's just a generic summer blockbuster; mostly action, with little originality plot wise. Expand
  98. May 27, 2012
    I have no idea what went through the mind of the studio execs who green-lighted this movie. "Hmm you know that old game Battleship where you launch attacks at each other, let's make a movie out of that". I mean really? really? I feel that the actors, director etc all gave it their best shot but when they had nothing to work with in the first place the result is a mess like this movie.I have no idea what went through the mind of the studio execs who green-lighted this movie. "Hmm you know that old game Battleship where you launch attacks at each other, let's make a movie out of that". I mean really? really? I feel that the actors, director etc all gave it their best shot but when they had nothing to work with in the first place the result is a mess like this movie. They'd probably be able to make a much better movie using Monopoly than Battleship. Heck even "Guess Who?" would probably make a much better movie. Have it be a show about a gameshow or something. Expand
  99. Dec 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This should be named "Generic American Propaganda Movie #198"
    Personally, I love these type of alien godzilla-esque movies. I enjoyed Pacific Rim very much. But this film is just plain terrible. A loser, who gets arrested suddenly becomes a high ranking officer in the US Navy? Have the US navy sunk so low that they're allowing any old joe to come along? Why did they have to give Liam Neeson such a toilet job? It's ridiculous. Could this film be any more American propaganda? First the Japanese and the Americans work together (which is incredibly unlikely), and then the main character and Rihanna take control of a dinosaur ship that was last used to fight the Japanese Empire almost 70 years back. Slap some old farts on it and you got yourself an Earth saving weapon.

BTW, Rihanna should stay in the Music industry. Hollywood doesn't need her and we definitely don't need her. This film is such a disgrace to the movie industry.
  100. May 24, 2012
    No es una película que realmente busque cautivar a la audiencia, sencillamente fue hecha para ser taquillera y solo para eso.
    Las actuaciones son muy olvidables, a pesar de tener a alguien como Liam Neeson entre los protagonistas, y la "supuesta" novedad que debía ser (supongo) Rihanna que también acabó en ser una actuación cualquiera, ni siquiera me aprendí el nombre de los personajes.

La película no es mala, simplemente no es profunda, y es MUY predecible así como otras películas de "invasión extraterrestre". Es perfecta para una salida al cine con los amigos, solo para eso...

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 22, 2012
    The story, by brothers Erich and Jon Hoeber, who also penned the clever, quippy, aging-assassin movie "Red," is cleverer and quippier than it has any reason to be, even if it makes not the remotest sense.
    One of the more enjoyably terrible movies of the year.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 18, 2012
    The script is replete with howlers. My favorite, from Kitsch, after the aliens strike: "I've got a bad feeling about this." Indeed.