4.6

1. Oct 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just watched this fantastic mess. I always love the premise of a movie that attempts to reconcile what would happen "if". In this case, what would happen if we were visited by a hostile other worldly species with technology far superior than our own. Answer: (spoiler alert) A group of geriatric world war II veterans bring a mothballed battleship out of retirement. The number of holes in the sinking destroyers cannot match the number of holes in this plot. I don't mind suspending disbelief in order to enjoy a movie. But this one will insult your intelligence. Liam Neeson will NOT be putting this one on his resume. Expand
  2. Jun 14, 2014
    Hahahahahahahahahaha. The entire movie was nothing more than a huge USA ego trip. Stupid story, boring characters and worst of all you wanna sell me a story that the entire navy of the world that was gathered there for these games couldn't stop the alien ships but some old battleship rotting in the docks could. Are you f****** kidding me? Urgh, I can't believe I actually watched this c***.
  3. Jun 9, 2014
    This movie has some exciting action scene, but it is just extremely boring. The plot is so retarded. I can't believe I spent money to watch this. Not only the movie is bad, the game is even worse than it. I am not going to purchase anything with the word "Battleship" on it again.
  4. Apr 22, 2014
    A really boring movie. It was a cool concept but it didn't work for me. I am a big action movie fan and all of the action scenes in this movie I found really boring. They were supposed to keep you entertained with those action scenes as there were so many of them but it didn't do its job well. Also there was sub par acting so it is also a bad movie in that sense.
  5. Jan 2, 2014
    An alien invasion flick based off of the Hasbro game of the same name? Despite how absurd this sounded to me I was hoping that this would manage to be a cheesy good time. Unfortunately I found the movie to be a cheesy bad time. Lame plot, bad acting, unlikable characters, and lackluster action plague this movie. I didn't really care about anything that was going on. There were some nice explosions but the whole movie just ends up feeling incredibly generic. The attempts at humor fall short, the special effects are dated, and the characters end up feeling like robots who spout of nonsense one-liners that no human being would ever say. Overall "Battleship" is not worth your time. "Syfy" original movies end up coming across as more intelligent and believable than this one does. Skip it. Expand
  6. Dec 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This should be named "Generic American Propaganda Movie #198"
    Personally, I love these type of alien godzilla-esque movies. I enjoyed Pacific Rim very much. But this film is just plain terrible. A loser, who gets arrested suddenly becomes a high ranking officer in the US Navy? Have the US navy sunk so low that they're allowing any old joe to come along? Why did they have to give Liam Neeson such a toilet job? It's ridiculous. Could this film be any more American propaganda? First the Japanese and the Americans work together (which is incredibly unlikely), and then the main character and Rihanna take control of a dinosaur ship that was last used to fight the Japanese Empire almost 70 years back. Slap some old farts on it and you got yourself an Earth saving weapon.

BTW, Rihanna should stay in the Music industry. Hollywood doesn't need her and we definitely don't need her. This film is such a disgrace to the movie industry.
  7. Nov 26, 2013
    It has its good action scenes, but when it comes to the acting, it has no way of ever being good. It has many dialogue that doesn't fit in with the theme, and has such a terrible and random destruction scene. I would recommend saving your money for a movie worth watching.
  8. Nov 16, 2013
    COMPLETE movie.

I've heard some people talk about battleship in a way of it's so bad it's good or it's a fun goofy bad, but it's not like that whatsoever, it's just complete When it's not throwing cringe-worthy jokes and horrible acting, which isn't even amusing in a bad way, it's putting you to sleep.
    I honestly was having a hard time staying awake in the middle area of the movie.

Absolutely horrible.
  9. Oct 8, 2013
    Characters in this movie are portrayed in the following way: they're navy officers in the line of duty. No more, no less; which makes this movie have undeniably good visuals, effects, and sound design, but characters that are so poorly developed that they're completely foreign to the audience. This movie also completely neglects the plot that supposedly exists in the movie, so we as the audience are still left completely unknown as to the aliens' intentions. So by completely neglecting the plot and the character development that should be in it, it stops Battleship from being one of the better action movies. Expand
  10. Sep 9, 2013
    I was, not surprisingly, let down by this movie. Special effects were great, but acting and plot was mediocre at best. $200M for a movie about a board game! For the most part, the movie had nothing to do with the Hasbro game. They were able to weave in a few references to the game. Transformers was a much better "Hasbro" movie imo.
  11. Aug 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The entire movie is a big joke. Despite the great FXs, the script is unintelligent and focuses mostly on how the american navy can defeat alien space ships who crossed light years in just a short time period and passed through the entire atmosphere of the planet intact. There are also many plot holes. For example the aliens do not try to kill humans until the humans attack them first. The movie gives no scientific explanation for the alien technology, which is made of a non existent material. In addition, the characters can definitely guess the alien biology by looking at animals on earth. There is literally no character development and the movie is so cliche that I could personally guess the entire plot from the start: The Hero saves the world and takes the girl. Finally, the aliens, who by the way have no character development, are simply there for awesome FX and for the american navy to show off. It appears that sci-fi of today prefers extraterrestrial beasts to fleshed out aliens, because they are easier to shoot at rather than "people" you can relate to. Finally, Battleship is a disgrace to the entire Sci-fi genre and disregards all of the aspects that made sci-fi successful. Expand
  12. Jul 29, 2013
    Micheal Bay directed this with astral projection. so many pointless sequences Bad actors all except for Liam Neeson Dumb story trying to cater to bimbos who don't no sci fi.
  13. Jul 25, 2013
    I didn't like this film, the acting was bad and the plot! What plot? This made Transformers look good, not Rise of the Fallen, fortunately the visuals were spectacular and I can't deny that some of the action scenes were great but the rest of the movie was so stupid and just unbearable. This is what I imagine Teenagers will enjoy...It's bad.
  14. May 19, 2013
    I would rather play the battleship board game than watch this garbage!!!! NUFF said.I would rather play the battleship board game than watch this garbage!!!! NUFF said.I would rather play the battleship board game than
    watch this garbage!!!! NUFF said.I would rather play the battleship board game than watch this garbage!!!! NUFF said. Expand
  15. May 16, 2013
    This sunk mine. WOW. Rihanna was terrible. Kitsch was not good. The script stinks. Very noisy, and the plot is ridiculous. Really, really bad. Save yourself the time you will spend drooling through this wonder and do something much more enjoyable and rewarding like watching paint dry, or scraping the white stuff off your tongue.
  16. May 3, 2013
    The worst movie I ever seen in my life. I've wasted my time by watching it, it was horrible I would love to kill the director for the bad directing as well as the cast they were below average the only reason I gave it a ZERO and not minus because Liam Neeson was there. I've never hated a movie like this one the Alinas look like Maggots even the Maggots are prettier. End of the story don't watch it or your gonna waste your time. Expand
  17. Mar 22, 2013
    Let's get straight to it, Battleship is a bad bad film. Taylor Kitsch was greatly mocked for starring in this film and John Carter, two of 2012's lesser acclaimed releases but I don't think he can shoulder too much of the blame here. Battleship's faults lie almost solely at the feet of the writers, Jon and Erich Hoeber.

The script is riddled, absolutely riddled with stinking dialogue
    and the while obviously a certain amount of disbelief is required to even consider watching a film of Battleship's ilk, the plot has some laughable moments. I don't know which was worse, watching a previously decommissioned battleship being started up by a crew of geriatric veterans in no time at all, seeing said ship perform a handbrake turn at full speed by dropping anchor, the cringe-worthy references to The Art of War or seeing Rihanna try to act. Her speech about her father's alien prophecy is the stuff of nightmares. Thankfully for his sake, Liam Neeson's performance as the isolated Fleet Commander is limited.

I was sceptical of how the film might incorporate anything resembling the Battleship game, but the night battle using educated pot-shots at grid references in the style of the board game actually worked reasonably well. The enemy, or more importantly, its odd passive-aggressive, your turn-our turn behaviour, is conveniently never explained.

I know the film is supposed to be action-led, fun and O.T.T. and visually director Peter Berg does nothing wrong but most of the action is pretty stationary and quite repetitive and there is only so much you can forgive a terrible script. Come back Michael Bay, we forgive you for Transformers!
  18. Mar 18, 2013
    Atrocious. ThereĀ“s nothing else to say. This film is nothing. And making a film that is nothing when having a 200 million budget is really difficult. Pathetic.
  19. Mar 10, 2013
    Simply the without legs fighting one on one with a alien, and the alien tooth flying. I feel shame about having to pay to watch this movie. On the other hand, it's unbelievable that a group of old men that just can walk, could prepare a ship of the world war two, totally obsolet, and destroy alien technology,
  20. Feb 24, 2013
    Rihanna is the worst actress I've ever seen. So terrible.
  21. Jan 15, 2013
    Boring Rubbish. The acting was fair enough however I think Rihanna should stick to music. but the story and plot is just boring. Ships shoot at space ships things blow up and that's it. There is an attempt at some kind of love story on the side but it really adds nothing off value to the story and is just pointless. The veterans who help pilot the USS Missouri was just a too bit weird for me it was a nice idea but did not really work in the film fair acting and poor story make for a film that you really can miss. Collapse
  22. Jan 4, 2013
    The only reason I didn't give this film a pure zilch score is because of the visuals, presence of Rihanna and some humorous moments. The plot is ridiculously predictable, the acting wooden and the script cheesy and clumsy, Battleship resides in the gutter, where you'll find films by Michael Bay along with the Twilight Saga.
  23. Nov 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILER ALERT: THERE'S EXPLOSIONS AND AN ALIEN INVASION!!!!!! That's all there is to it. If you're brain-dead, then you might enjoy this Hollywood headache. Expand
  24. Nov 5, 2012
    You've got to be **** me, Battleship. Funny how I don't remember there being aliens in the board game, when I played it as a kid. And casting Rihanna for one of the lead roles? I should've known this was bad news the second I saw Michael Bay's name on it.
  25. Oct 17, 2012
    Simply put: the only way anyone can enjoy this movie is if they leave their brain at home. It's just pure stupidity, with some of the worst acting you'll see in a long time. Don't get me wrong, the movie itself was a good idea, the problem is that it's just so typically Hollywood you literally have to become a vegetable to enjoy it.
  26. Oct 10, 2012
    There is only one fun element, one remotely enjoyable aspect about this film. I guarantee you that's all that you can call a 'positive aspect' of Battleship. And that's watching the guns fire on the actual warships. Which maybe takes up ten minutes of the film or so.
  27. Oct 2, 2012
    Though 'Battleship' wasn't the cinematic abortion I anticipated it to be (it's more like a cinematic miscarriage), it remains an unoriginal, exhausting, drawn-out, ridiculous experience. It lives up to all of the trappings of any standard summer action blockbuster and could easily be mistaken for another installment in the Transformers series (Transformers 4: The Revenge of Peter Berg). The resulting picture bears barely any resemblance to the game it is based off of and what respects the film does pay to its origins are more cringe-induced than tongue-in-cheek references (Really? The robots' missiles are actually peg shaped?) A better move might have been to have just ditched the board game idea and simply created an "original" product. As far as special effects are concerned, I remember when visuals and slow-motion were aspects of filmmaking used when necessary for effect, rather than as a time-filler to make up for an absence of originality. But even when the filmmakers realize this, they still feel the need to throw in factors like plot and characters, while their focus always remains on the razzle-dazzle. I would be more satisfied simply watching images going by, having no brain stimulation whatsoever, than being forced to watch uncomfortable looking actors try to bring out bland, ridiculous stock characters. In fact, I believe that watching robots blow each other up will cause less brain damage than watching these faux characters interact, if they are misconstrued as deep, real people. Not to say that there aren't any pleasures to be had at all in 'Battleship'. One, for instance, involves the frenetic pursuit of a burrito that, although less absurdly inspired than just plain absurd, delivers some zany fun to an otherwise airless movie. However, as a whole, 'Battleship' can't manage to stay afloat (stupid pun not intended). Expand
  28. Oct 1, 2012
    This is the worst film of 2012. The characters aren't all that interesting in the first place, there is only story in the first 30 minutes. This is basically Battle: L.A. all over again, even if it is slightly better.
  29. Sep 23, 2012
    "There is no way they can ***¨this movie!Its just a movie based on a war board game!it will be a movie about of war of course!" That is what i tought.oh boy was i wrong.Instead they gave me a **** movie with an absurd story,bad actors,lame development,and lets not forget the thing that f*** it all since the beggining,ALIENS!!!ON A MOVIE BASED ON A SIMPLE ESTRATIGIC WAR GAME!!!!GOD!!!!!!!
  30. Sep 11, 2012
    Some nice visual effects but overall a boring movie with a bad story, especially in the first 30 minutes. I was expecting much more from the trailer I saw before.
  31. Sep 7, 2012
    Going into Battleship I expected a cliche movie and putting myself into the mood of mindless stupid loud action and that's exactly what I got. It was entertaining to a certain point. From the scene where Taylor Kitsch and his crew team up with the old "badass" veterans till the end was more entertaining than the rest of the movie. Cheesy? Yes, but watchable for only one time. It wasn't too bad, though it's definitely not a memorable-good-time kind of movie . Expand
  32. Aug 29, 2012
    Basically a big a explosion jerkfest which i was expecting but with Liam neason in it who is such a great actor and has been in so many great films. i figured this should be atleast a decent SciFi flick . unfortunitly his role is so very very small and even if he had a big role it wouldn't have helped the extremely watered down plot thats pretty dull. The acting is sub par and the pacing at the start is sluggish considering it does such a horrid job establishing any thing outside of horrably trying to have a few funny moments that fall flat on there face . The only fun moments come from the action which even then isn't the greatest but its ok. The CGI does look pretty good . Its a Popcorn flick but unfortunitly not a very good one. Expand
  33. Aug 23, 2012
    This movie is simply stupid.
  34. Aug 15, 2012
    Typical American hero movie with a very predictable story and outcome. The music the old war heroes and the love story. The lines reminds me of Rambo and McGyver.
  35. Aug 10, 2012
    You gotta be kidding me. First off, we start the war by shooting at the aliens first because of a hot-head who can't follow orders. Then, he relinquishes his command to another captain who really knows how to strategize and fight. This movie insults any idiots intelligence. I can't help but side for the aliens, who spend the whole movie defending themselves against the humans who invite them here, then attack them. All because of an idiot hot-head that started the whole thing but still ends of with the silver star.

The saving grace was the tribute to the Pearl Harbor veterans that magically appear. I thought it was a fantastic move, however, that they all wore the hats from the respective ships they served on. The plates they shot of the Missouri when it was moved to Hawaii worked well in the movie. Terrible acting except for Liam Neeson. Very nice CG and special FX. Sound EFX and tracks were excellent as well. Yep, see this movie high or drunk and you will enjoy it. I can look at an aquarium all night and be just as entertained in that same state of mind.
  36. Vic
    Aug 5, 2012
    Another highly predictable movie with predictable ending! The only thing is good about this movie is special effects. This is that sort of films that you watch and forget, highly unlikely you'd like to watch it again!
  37. Aug 3, 2012
    I will be brief with this review of Battleship, because there's absolutely nothing worth discussing in this film. The premise and screenplay for this movie was already bad, but director Peter Berg drives this film below the ground. Box office poison Taylor Kitch, True Blood's Alexander Skarsgard, Hottie/singer Rihanna along with the rest of the cast give a collectively dismal performance. Battleship was an empty barrel, riddled with cliches and disdainful dialogue. The dialogue in this was so terrible, one of the characters in the movie had to stop and ask, ' Who talks like that?'. This movie has rightfully been compared to the Transformers films (in fact it was worse), but at least Transformers had exemplary technical elements. Do yourself a favor and skip this one. Expand
  38. Jul 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is utterly terrible. The only highlight comes early on when the movie recreates a viral video of a stupid thief breaking into a liquor store by falling through the roof and smashing merchandise on his way to the floor. Aside from that one scene, this movie has almost no redeeming qualities. The action is dull, the acting is cheesy at best, the plot is something out of a middle school writing assignment and the whole movie from start to finish is so unbelievably and unforgivably implausible that I found myself I found myself watching it just to say that I finished it and gave it a fair shake before it sank to the bottom of my "worst movies" list. The movie seemed bent on ruining its own attempts to pull you into it by swiftly kicking you in the mouth every minute with a face-palm worthy line or a terrible attempt at humor.

The whole movie came off to me as a shameful attempt to milk money out of the market. They should have made it into a cartoon or better yet: not at all and donated the money they saved to charity and I would have been impressed.

20 years from now, when someone asks me why I'm so jaded, I'll tell them that this movie was the point at which I irredeemably lost my faith in humanity.

This movie is lousy and downright insulting in its portrayal of our sailors and service men and women.
  39. Jul 8, 2012
    Noisy,dumb,and with one of the worst scripts i have already seen,this movie is Transformers 2 with ships.Despite some good visual effects by Industrial light and magic
  40. Jul 8, 2012
    Now i know not all movies appeal to everyone, but i severely believe that Battleship has been MAJORLY discredited. The affects are great, as is the action, actors and plot of the film (though granted, it isnt something you have to pay attentive attention to to keep up with it). it held my attention all the way through, and i loved the small references that could be linked back to the beloved battleship board game. Expand
  41. Jul 6, 2012
    Battleship is just another action-filled, banal excuse for a film. The characters have no substance and the story is ridiculously bland. This film, like many modern films, relies on explosions and pretty visuals to entertain the crowd. Battleship was a mistake and only children and common adults will enjoy this film.
  42. Jun 10, 2012
    I would have given it 6/10 for the scifi, but its American propaganda forces me to give it 0/10.
    This is a movie that will not work well out of US. The cold war is over folks and there is no room for a real Starship troppers movie wannabee. Get this US propaganda **** out of my theater ASAP, it stinks.
    Battleship Los Angeles sucks ass big time, its even worse than Battle LA, believe that !
  43. Jun 8, 2012
    Somewhat less painful than I expected. I laughed a couple of times, but probably for not the right reasons. I did enjoy the movie for Rihanna though, I guess.
  44. Jun 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is it watchable? Yes - sort of. Is the SFX good? It's okay. In reality would the aliens destroy us in order to keep stupid films like this from escaping earth and lowering the IQ quotient of the whole galaxy? Undoubtedly. Overall: It's not even worth paying to hire it on DVD. For some reason Metacritic wouldn't let me write a review even several weeks after the film had premiered in Australia, as the little countdown was still ticking. I assume that the site got paid off to hold back all the negative reviews, cause this film sucked hard. An irresponsible **** joins the Navy and becomes a Lieutenant (no, not Rhianna, I'm talking about Taylor Kitsch), because even morons get to high rank in the Navy without any effort these days. Aliens turn up... and then they do nothing (except when attacked). Huh. Well, it's a different plot, to be sure. There's even 5 minutes of the boardgame-type warfare in the film (which is actually the films strongest part... and then they ditch it). Poor acting, poor script, poor film. 4 out of 10. Expand
  45. Jun 3, 2012
    this movie gets a 0/10 from me, the script NEVER made sense, the cheesy dialogue was just bad, terribly placed and even though it was randomly placed any time during the action scenes, you could know what they were going to say. The story makes no sense at all and it isn't funny. I was very pissed at the movie. The digital effects were pretty amazing, but nothing else in the movie is acceptable
  46. May 31, 2012
    This is one of the worst huge budget action movies I have ever seen. I'm giving it a 3 because most of the special effects were impressive and the sound engineering is great. That being said, This movie, other than one really forced battle sequence, has nothing to do with the game of Battleship. Instead of Battle Los Angeles, this is Battle Hawaii. The plot is ludicrous. The writing is terrible and obvious. It is corny and hokey.The acting is not great. It was a major disappointment. Liam Neeson was smart to make sure that his screen time in this stinker stayed to a minimum. Expand
  47. May 29, 2012
    This movie simply sucks just think about it, who thinks that making a movie based on a freaking BOARD GAME its a good idea? the result is a poor executed "action movie" with a generic alien storyline. The aliens are the major problem they never explain why the aliens invade earth, or why they only attack machines and not humans or what they want from Earth also the aliens are really generic ans not interesting. The action in this movie is boring, generic and predictable not even the special effects help speaking of witch the effects arent that good, this effects are basiclly poor version of the transformers movies special effects. Expand
  48. May 29, 2012
    If you go into this movie expecting a good action flick, you'll be disappointed. If you go in looking for a good laugh at a typical, cliche filled action/alien movie, you'll be entertained. But it's never good when a movie is hilarious while trying to be serious.
  49. May 29, 2012
    The film adaptation of Battleship proves to be about as poor as one might imagine. The movie rips off a number of recent flicks -- namely of the alien-invasion-leads-to-mass-destruction variety -- most of which are derivative enough as it is. Thusly viewers get a simultaneously bloated and watered down translation of the popular Hasbro game. One sequence comes close to dramatic line readings of "B3!"/"Hit!" with related visuals, but most of Battleship comes off as an excuse to, say, blow stuff up real good. Of course the movie can barely do this well; the action scenes are so poorly edited that one can barely make sense of the confusion. Bright lights and loud noises bombard the senses. The rest of the movie involves several pasted together subplots featuring a parade of cliches -- such as a rebellious Navy lieutenant seeking the approval of his girlfriend's father while also learning to take command of his men; the aforementioned girlfriend's work with a wounded veteran, who learns how to accept the loss of his legs and respect himself again; the scientist whose work brought on the alien invasion, and his reluctant stabs at bravery. This would all be well and good if these matters were given the thought and time they deserve, but instead, the filmmakers decide to throw aliens at everyone, and their attributes become decorations. Not that one should expect more from a movie based on a board game, but the characters are too poorly defined to care about. Again much of the alien invasion is not well done. The effects are decent but more often than not indiscernible, and some of the designs are simply lazy. A mildly rousing conclusion featuring a historical battleship and WWII vets comes off as too little, too late to save this hulking train wreck. There is a cultural problem with movies like these, ones eager to depict mass destruction without pausing to consider the presumed loss of life. Typically they earn a PG-13 rating, allowing audiences too young for R-rated flicks to bear witness. But how exactly is the younger generation supposed to feel when buildings in Hong Kong are destroyed, especially when the movie flaunts its big explosions and toppling buildings? Those eagerly awaiting the next Transformers sequel or some similarly brain-dead nonevent will likely enjoy this movie. Others should simply steer clear. Battleship is one of those movies no one will really remember in a few years, let alone in a few months. Expand
  50. May 28, 2012
    This movie was awful, it was boring and too full of cliches, worst of all it was so unoriginal that it riped off a lot of different things. For example there is a scene in the beginning of the movie that they totally rip off of a famous youtube video about the "worst robbery ever". Then there is Taylor Kitsch as a good for nothing slacker who, as always happen in Hollywood, is the one that saves the day. Next you got Rhianna trying so hard to be Michelle Rodriguez that you start to wonder why couldn't they just cast Michelle for that part. Then we got a super model playing the Naval "Therapist", all the while looking as she is too dumb and pretty for that being her profession. There are a lot of cliches that I could write 5 reviews in here just naming them. Not only that but the Aliens instead of looking menacing look as a bunch of hippies in Halo armors. Expand
  51. May 27, 2012
    I have no idea what went through the mind of the studio execs who green-lighted this movie. "Hmm you know that old game Battleship where you launch attacks at each other, let's make a movie out of that". I mean really? really? I feel that the actors, director etc all gave it their best shot but when they had nothing to work with in the first place the result is a mess like this movie. They'd probably be able to make a much better movie using Monopoly than Battleship. Heck even "Guess Who?" would probably make a much better movie. Have it be a show about a gameshow or something. Expand
  52. May 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Firstly, I can't remember any aliens in the battleship game? Also who's idea was it to cast Rihanna? The acting was labored, the sfx were meh and worst of all I paid $20 to see this drivel. Expand
  53. May 26, 2012
    To be honest, I haven't seen and reviewed movies for quite a while. My dad wanted our whole family to watch something fun and enjoyable for our bonding time, so we watched "Battleship". That alone was the single greatest mistake I have made in 2012. Peter Berg's "Battleship" is straight up terrible. The characters are bland with wooden acting, the plot is nonsensical with over-the-top CGI destruction, and most of all the whole concept of the movie was **** Really? I mean, making a movie out of a BOARD GAME? Hollywood just got more retarded in my eyes. Expand
  54. May 24, 2012
    Can somebody please tell me why Battleship was turned into a movie? I have seen the Transformers and G.I. Joe TV series and movies, but thank god I'd stayed away from the theater watching a ridiculous funnier mess than a famous board game where I watched the Battleship commercials back in the late 90's on Saturday mornings. I don't know why Rihanna is in the movie (I like her as a global chart-topping singer), Taylor Kitsch hasn't seen a lot of love since his horrible box office flop, John Carter, and Peter Berg (I don't know about that director, but he's no Michael Bay) has one of the biggest mistakes in his career. Sure, he directed Friday Night Lights and all the work that he's done in the past. But this is 2012 and Battleship is not one of them. Look a little more like a rip-off of the Transformers movies. But since G.I. Joe will have to wait till next year, I'll say get my $10 bucks back and watch The Avengers instead. Battleship is one of the worst movie of the year. Expand
  55. May 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Explosions and Bad acting

This is the worst movie of all time. I could not watch it. Complete crap... and a singer known for being punched as the feature.
  56. May 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible story and impossible ending. This movie is a waste of money for anyone who bothers to see it. To think that a small group of retired old sailors could not only start up and run a mothballed battleship is the dream of a 10 year old. This movie is so flawed that it would take more than 500 characters to cover all of them. The one....and yes one good thing I saw was when the helmet came off the alien who was different from the typical aliens scene recently in movies. Expand
  57. May 22, 2012
    It gets a 1 for Liam, other wise omg how could they sink $200 million into this waste of time that's really just a recruitment for the Navy. Awful dialogue, cardboard acting, giant plot holes. OK its just an action flick but it's no wonder it's bombing.
  58. May 20, 2012
    Are the transformer movies too intellectually stimulating for you? If so, I have found a movie for you! Cornball, cheesy, implausible, loud, and more loud. Aliens with amazing technology and superior intelligence somehow can't communicate with their home planet without the help of our old school satellite dishes. Yeah, right. I would like to say that Rihanna was a terrible actress, but I'm not sure anyone could give a great performance with the horrible dialogue she was spouting. At one point, after losing over half the fleet and death is all around him, Taylor Kitsch says "I've got a bad feeling about this". Really? You finally have a bad feeling about it? The great Liam Neeson is rarely featured and is simply picking up a paycheck. Why hire a great actor and not use him? He probably read the script and refused to say the cornball dialogue. The special effects are terrific as you would expect from a modern day film made on a computer. There is only one small part of the film that uses the Battleship Game format and it's eye rollingly bad. Expand
  59. May 19, 2012
    Spoiler alert! Things blow up! The plot cant blow up because there is none. Almost less as Dark Shadows, but louder and with more VFX. Avoid this movie at all costs.
  60. May 19, 2012
    It's okay at best. This movie is just an giant advertisement for how awesome the navy and army is. And more you got coke and subway probably more that I didn't notice. And don't forget what the movie is centered around Hasbro's game battleships. Which is like 10 minutes max? It's more hinted at battleships then it actually is. Or its that childhood friend that cheats all the time and moves there ship. I wouldn't even pay 5 dollars to see this movie. Expand
  61. May 19, 2012
    Honestly, i think we can all agree that its pretty impossible to make a good film based off of the board game Battleship. When i first heard about it i thought it was ridiculous....and it was. This film had countless flaws, all lead by the horribly written script. My god this movie was corny. I can tell at some points it was meant to be cheesy, but not the entire film. Even the moments that were meant to be dramatic and we were supposed to feel for the characters, i just didnt, it was laughable. The acting was atrocious, Brooklyn Decker is a gorgeous woman but she cannot act to save her life and same with Rihanna, although it was her first film so we can give her a little break, but while i enjoyed Taylor Kitsch in John Carter, he just seemed like a tool in this movie, i only felt anger towards his character. When i first saw the trailer and the cast for the film, i thought "well Liam Neeson can probably carry the movie" but his character probably only had a total of 5 minutes of screen time which i have to say was very disappointing. I didn't expect this movie to be good in the first place because the concept of it is just ridiculous so i think i've bashed it enough. The only positives in this movie were the action (which was sub-par at best) and Brooklyn Deckers chest. 2/10 Wait for it to be in Redbox or on Netflix, not worth the admission price. Expand
  62. May 19, 2012
    I'm a huge fan of Action-Movies, especially Transformers and stuff. When I see this movies, I accept that there is no great story, no plot or the other things that usually make movies good movies. In other words: I turn my brain of and simply enjoy the pictures.
    But this was impossible during Battleship. The whole movie is THAT stupid, filled with the most stereotype plot they could find.
    Honestly, Rihanna looks badass but is a unbelievable bad actor. In fact, the only good actor in the whole movie was Liam Neeson and he only appeared about 5 Minutes the entire movie. I saw it with a friend and we facepalmed all the time. Normally, I can consume the stupidity of action movies, but this was too much. And even the action scenes were not cool. Maybe I just don't stick with Ships shooting each other, but for me the action was totally forgetable. It is indescribable how dumb the movie is. And I mean for real. I'll just stop now cause I'm not able to describe this. Just don't watch it ever. Only when you are VERY drunk and when you skip the whole movie except the action scenes which are well made and can be a bit amusing for some people and this is the reason I'm giving this movie a 3. Expand
  63. May 18, 2012
    Again, other hasbro game/toy that appear in the big screen, Battleship is a popular board game, popular in much years, and why not do a movie? I belive that Hasbro don't learn with the disasters of G.I. Joe and Transformers. The story is really good, but have a terrible development, in the only things that you watch are explosions and pretty effects. The performances are terrible, some people of the cast (Liam Neeson) do a good job, but the rest is terrible. Battleship is funny in some moments, but the biggest part of the time is a disaster. Expand
  64. May 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. â Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    May 22, 2012
    The story, by brothers Erich and Jon Hoeber, who also penned the clever, quippy, aging-assassin movie "Red," is cleverer and quippier than it has any reason to be, even if it makes not the remotest sense.
    One of the more enjoyably terrible movies of the year.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    May 18, 2012
    The script is replete with howlers. My favorite, from Kitsch, after the aliens strike: "I've got a bad feeling about this." Indeed.