Be Cool

6.2

1. Jul 27, 2013
    Chili Palmer returns in this long-gestating sequel to Get Shorty, and while John Travolta has a new entourage of famous faces including Uma Thurman, Harvey Kietel, Vince Vaughn and Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, they don't save the film from being a very lazy and glam-ridden piece that barely dents the intelligence and comic timing of the original.
    But while the film shows bright sparks in
    But while the film shows bright sparks in many moments, it ultimately repeats and and rehashes all the things that made the original shine. But we kick off with Chili reminiscing about the days he spent as a movie producer, something he is attempting to get away from. We are introduced to Linda Moon (Christina Milian) who is struggling to break the cuffs of her contract with Nick Carr (Harvey Keitel). But she must deal with Nick's over-zealous 'partner' Raji (Vince Vaughn) and his hilarious homosexual bodyguard Elliot (The Rock) who both unfortunately bumble and trod through the film with ver little to do, much like Kietel. The film introduces so many characters and plots that is becomes jarring and often loses its way to the point where it falls away. It sets up various pop culture remarks, celebrity appearances and a dragging-its-feet plot that never lifts off to anything, making the whole experience quite forgettable.
    There is still an entertaining element to be had though, in the form The Rock, Cedric the Entertainer and his gang of gangster hip-hop artists, his unorthodox lifestyle compared to his street life provide very exceptional comic relief, along with The Roc who is the simple-minded bodyguard who just wants to be in movies.
    John Travolta pokes fun at many of his own films and previous work in Get Shorty, but he never quite feels at home in Be Cool, seemingly paving the way for the rest of the cast to make an impression, but sadly a plot that doesn't match the aims of what the film is trying to push down our throats makes these performances almost meaningless.
    There is fun to be had in Be Cool, but a much cooler thing to do would have been not trying to recreate updated versions of past characters and the film within a film story again, it leaves little to the imagination and not enough room to explore these characters like there was in the first instalment, quite a forgettable effort.
  2. PatC.
    Jun 30, 2006
    A Tarantino-style knock-off with Travolta in a role of non-stop Jedi mind tricks, and a disinterested performance by Thurman.
  3. MaguiP.
    Aug 24, 2005
    I was expecting a better movie. Great cast acting with new talents. The cool couple again with John Travolta and Uma Thurman. Of course dancing again. Some takes with rock and roll stars. But it
  4. TonyB
    Aug 1, 2005
    Be Cool is overplotted and a bit messy, but I liked it much more than most of the critics, professional and otherwise, did. It's major fault is that virtually everybody in it overshadows John Travolta, who, as usual, plays himself.
  5. Chrystal
    Jun 15, 2005
    I'm sorry but I have seen better. The movie started out slow but got a little bit interesting toward the end. Overall I'm gonna have to say that I wasted my time watching it. Comedies are supposed to be funny and this one just didn't do it for me.
  6. HenryJo
    Jun 10, 2005
    I give it a six because about a 55% of the movie was good... The Russians were funny. The Dub M Ds were funny. The Rock was funny. Vince Vaughn was funny. Harvey Keitel was funny. Now, what wasn't so good... and rather annoying? Well... Mr. Steven Tyler cant act... thusly ruining the Aerosmith part. Basically any part where the music extended the 1 minute mark was pretty halfassed I give it a six because about a 55% of the movie was good... The Russians were funny. The Dub M Ds were funny. The Rock was funny. Vince Vaughn was funny. Harvey Keitel was funny. Now, what wasn't so good... and rather annoying? Well... Mr. Steven Tyler cant act... thusly ruining the Aerosmith part. Basically any part where the music extended the 1 minute mark was pretty halfassed and annoying (yes Christina Milian, the piano thing sucked). Also, the romance between Travolta and Thurman was NOT there. Well, there you go. Not as bad as some people would have you believe and really worth a rental. I just hope you didnt go to the theater. Expand
  7. rh
    Apr 5, 2005
    I didn't think the movie deserved a 37..it wasn't that bad...It's a movie I won't see again though. Whose idea was it to make the Rock a gay guy? Hilarious.
  8. ChadS.
    Mar 29, 2005
    After the first screening was over, the filmmaker should've reshot the opening scene, sans self-reflexivity, because "Be Cool" isn't good enough to be flippant about the creative bankruptcy of sequels. If I was Quentin Tarantino, I would never call John Travolta and Harvey Keitel again. Vince Vaughn's character would seem to be a stand-in for the hip-hop culture lovin' After the first screening was over, the filmmaker should've reshot the opening scene, sans self-reflexivity, because "Be Cool" isn't good enough to be flippant about the creative bankruptcy of sequels. If I was Quentin Tarantino, I would never call John Travolta and Harvey Keitel again. Vince Vaughn's character would seem to be a stand-in for the hip-hop culture lovin' director of "Pulp Fiction", a film that was criticized by some quarters for its overuse of the "n" word. When a Russian gangster drops the epithet, Cedric the Entertainer sounds like he's reprimanding Tarantino, and admittedly; "dead _____ storage" is reprehensible when taken out of context. Vaughn's character is very much the fool, and it would seem that Travolta, in particular, is biting the hand that fed him. The dance scene between Travolta and Uma Thurman is so underwhelming, it plays like a self-conscious desecration of the '94 Palm d'or-award winning film because there is no happy evocation. The song by Black Eyed Peas couldn't have been more boring; the anti-thesis of Tarantino's shrewd ear for the right song. Is Aerosmith's participation an apology for not crediting Run DMC back when they were made relevant again by the cultural earthquake that was "Walk This Way"? As you can tell, the subtext of "Be Cool" is much more interesting than the story. Expand
  9. TonyB.
    Mar 7, 2005
    Some movies don't go anywhere - this was one of them. Agree completely with Manohla Dargis' comments. I saw it today, and am already having trouble remembering what, exactly, it was about. Too bad - with Travolta, Thurman, and the Rock, it could have been so much better. A little more effort would have helped.
  10. DavidA.
    Mar 6, 2005
    It's all right. A good way to pass your time but it wasn't very impressive, it had some funny moments.
  11. LawrenceP.
    Mar 6, 2005
    This movie tries too hard. The only saving grace is The Rock, who i thought was funny. Also Uma Thurman is in it, which is really never a bad thing. Get Shorty was cool this is not.
  12. EricW.
    Mar 5, 2005
    'Be Cool' is a lazy, boring rendition of the much more exciting novel. It seemed like the only people involved in the movie who wanted to work on it were Vince Vaughn and The Rock. Which is a shame because both of their performances are great, and the characters were really nailed. John Travolta was unenthusiastic as Chili, and so was the directing. I don't know how in the 'Be Cool' is a lazy, boring rendition of the much more exciting novel. It seemed like the only people involved in the movie who wanted to work on it were Vince Vaughn and The Rock. Which is a shame because both of their performances are great, and the characters were really nailed. John Travolta was unenthusiastic as Chili, and so was the directing. I don't know how in the world director F. Gary Gray landed such a hot story after displaying such garbage as 'A Man Apart' and 'The Italian Job', after this bomb I hope he doesn't get work for a while. This is just another mess like 'The Big Bounce' that is going to make Elmore Leonard - an outstanding writer - look like he has no idea how to write, bring back sonnenfeld, tarantino, and soderbergh please. Hopefully Don Cheadle can save Leonard's career w/ the upcoming 'Tishimingo Blues'. Expand

1. Be Cool is not really cool as "Get Shorty" was, but it's entertaining, a frivolous cocktail rather than a vintage wine.
    Considered as a sequel, Be Cool is not an insult, but it’s a lazy, rhythmless, and redundant piece of moviemaking.
  3. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    A staggeringly flat sequel that trades filmdom for the music bizbiz and could hardly be less cool.