7.5

1. Mar 8, 2013
    While there are a few great performances in this movie, I can't help but think of this as a poorly-framed message movie (Poor people have pride! "Normal" people are evil and don't understand!) that threw in "magic" in an effort to express wonder. The story effectively goes nowhere, yet allows those who want to sound erudite to expound greatly on the imagery and triumph of spirit contained within.
  2. Aug 4, 2012
    The reviewers who characterized this movie as glorifying dunks, squalor, and the like is correct. It's quite depressing with a minimal story line. The acting is minimal as well. You;ll find yourself squirming in your seat as I did. I forced myself to stay for 90 min, then walked out. totally unsatisfied with the intelligence of this movie.
  3. Jul 30, 2012
    It's uncomfortable to watch for two reasons.

1. It's uncomfortable to watch black people acting out a white person's ideas. 2. This movie was one big fruit of a loom commercial. 3. Today it's quite easy to go and pick out some authenticity out of the sale rack at urban outfitters and maybe even american apparel if you're lucky. So try being a cowboy or a race car driver or make a
    It's uncomfortable to watch for two reasons.

3. Today it's quite easy to go and pick out some authenticity out of the sale rack at urban outfitters and maybe even american apparel if you're lucky. So try being a cowboy or a race car driver or make a movie about some village in west africa and how they love candy canes or deep in the south, in new orleans where black people are like mythical dolls, white people love playing with mythical dolls.
  4. Jul 23, 2012
    The elements of magic realism and the realistic depiction of squalor and hardcore alcoholism don't mesh. The movie celebrates the filth and garbage in which the characters live, while siding with them them as they shun proper medical treatment and a working sanitation system. The depiction of so-called noble savages is condescending and offensive. I don't understand why this film is soThe elements of magic realism and the realistic depiction of squalor and hardcore alcoholism don't mesh. The movie celebrates the filth and garbage in which the characters live, while siding with them them as they shun proper medical treatment and a working sanitation system. The depiction of so-called noble savages is condescending and offensive. I don't understand why this film is so loved. When I wasn't feeling disgusted, I was both bored and exasperated by what I was watching on screen. I knew I should have opted for Moonrise Kingdom. Expand
  5. Dec 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The film transports you to a strange world plagued by some very serious problems: extreme poverty, alcoholism, lack of health care, child abuse... and then seemingly tries to convince you that all of that is ok, because it's HOME, you know? I fully expected that Hushpuppy, that poor, naive little girl, will gradually learn that all the adults around her are irresponsible idiots, but nope - they're the wise ones. This is essentially an escape fantasy for unhappy city-dwellers who dream of a simpler, fuller, more "real" life in some magic land where you can be one with nature and realize that every animal has a heartbeat and everything in the universe is connected. The last shot of a tribe of noble savages triumphantly returning to their swamp after escaping the evil clutches of civilization, with its unnatural hygiene and health care, is probably the worst thing I've seen in a film this year. Expand
  6. Jul 30, 2012
    What is it about me that makes it impossible for me to walk out on a movie that is boring me to tears? Why is it that I am unable to fall asleep in a movie that makes me nod off for a second? And, why oh why, do I get suckered into seeing movies 3 or 4 times a years that has
  7. Mar 10, 2013
    This is yet again another art house film that thrives on being completely unique and distinctive from other movies, but lacks any gratifying elements that mainstream movies "sometimes" possess. It was boring and the storyline is unsettling.
  8. Feb 16, 2013
    A terrible movie so boring and out of plot.Also clumsy at very best.This movie insulting the black people by indicating them as scavengers. People voted this move above 7 are depressed and sworn lossers.
  9. Jun 23, 2013
    This film was a waste of time. Why did it get good reviews? It was boring and there is no point watching that film. There is not purpose. The little girl impressed but the whole film was dull an unintresting The meaning was totally bad and the imaginary world messed me up. Not for Oscar this film of course. Don't watch it please
  10. Apr 17, 2013
    It was absolutely the biggest disappointment I have ever experienced when I saw all of the rave reviews made by the critics and when I go to see it, it SUCKS. I couldn't even finish it. It was one of those movies where it tried to be so deep that it wasn't deep at all!!! I hated this movie with a burning passion. It was a movie about stupid people. That's it.
  11. Nov 23, 2013
    Probably the most boring 93 minutes of my life, not even great acting by Wallis can save this movie from disaster. It doesn't live up to the hype it got from the Academy Awards.
  12. Dec 9, 2012
    An underlying unpleasentness pervades this overrated indie film. The praised grimy photography and central performances are also recipients of much praise which eludes me. I hated it!!
  13. Dec 31, 2012
    what a disappointment. i totally agree w/all the low scored user reviews, esp w/the user who said this was a film where black people acted out a white person's ideas. extremely annoying: the intrusive music. i gave up about 45 min into it. once again suckered by ecstatic reviewers.
  14. Jan 18, 2013
    Another well made movie directed at critics that ends up being boring as hell. 2.5 hrs of showing how people that enjoy squalor exist in squalor. Want that time back.
  15. Jan 25, 2014
    I actually tried so hard to like this movie, but i couldn't.
    I actually tried so hard to like this movie, but i couldn't.
    i mean i don't get it, the whole nature thing and how people are proud by living these types of unhealthy dirty lives, the movie isn't good looking at it best, i mean i've seen movies about wild and nature and i actually liked it like "into the wild" but this one failed to deliver anything important, i didn't like the narrating, the story (if there was any) and i didn't like the view of the movie, it just didn't work at all for me and you might like it, but i didn't.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Oct 19, 2012
    Beasts of the Southern Wild is a vividly poetic and maybe even therapeutic response to one of the most painful and mortifying episodes in modern American history, second only to 9/11.
  2. Reviewed by: Damon Wise
    Oct 3, 2012
    Beautiful, funny, timely and tender, this is the American arthouse movie of the year.
  3. Reviewed by: Kate Stables
    Oct 1, 2012
    Despite its hard-scrabble setting, eco-gloominess and dystopian story, this dark fairytale is engagingly vivid and life-affirming. An ambitious love letter to a Louisiana way of life that's being literally washed away.