New Yorker Films | Release Date: March 31, 2000
7.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 24 Ratings
WATCH NOW
JeffAJan 1, 2010
Ugh, another pretentious, boring "art" film. Truly lame. What is it with the french? I see so many of the worst films coming from there.
YvanDec 9, 2009
A stunning, melancholy film. Easily one of the best of the decade.
IanP.Apr 20, 2001
A masterwork - and most films I have seen lately would get ratings between 2-3.
EricP.May 6, 2003
The tendency with some French films: to think that being vague can manufacture a sense of the profound. This is not the case. When the film was over, I simply didn't care about anything I had just watched. A saw little evidence of a The tendency with some French films: to think that being vague can manufacture a sense of the profound. This is not the case. When the film was over, I simply didn't care about anything I had just watched. A saw little evidence of a creative vision being brought to life. It was shallow and lazy. Expand
MikeGDec 4, 2004
The dancing is great, and the cinematography is wonderful. But it's a disjointed, often confusing movie, especially if you're not familiar with Billy Budd.
Jean-ClaudeV.Dec 2, 2002
Dark, sinister, and distinctly French, this film did everything right except for the stock footage and narrative. An terrific final scene.
JoshT.Sep 27, 2002
A mesmerizingly lyrical and enigmatic masterpiece; the best French film of the decade.
MatthewD.Jan 22, 2004
Pure cinema. Easily the most powerful movie I've seen in years. Claire Denis' masterwork. Simply beautiful.
JohnMFeb 14, 2008
Beautiful. And that ending..... elusive, yet unforgettable. One of the best concluding sequences I've ever seen.
ElliottNov 15, 2002
It's like a marvelous ballet acted on the most breathtaking set you've ever seen.
MaxA.Dec 17, 2006
Brooding, plodding, self-conscious and silly. This is a caricature of a French art film. It goes nowhere for an hour and a half while the protagonist poses and smokes lots of cigarettes. In a word: merde.
LowbrowCinemaNov 27, 2013
Claire Denis consistently breaks the boundaries of conventional filmmaking without resorting to pretension. BEAU TRAVAIL may just be her masterpiece, though I have a true fondness for TROUBLE EVERY DAY.