Beautiful Creatures

6.0

1. Jul 7, 2013
    Twilight is over so now the search for the new replacement begins and first up is Beautiful Creatures, a film without a middle or and end, just a really long beginning. The film tells the story of what happens when Ethan (Alden Ehrenreich) starts having dreams about a mysterious girl called Lena (Alice Englert). When he meets her his life is turned upside down as he is introduced to magicTwilight is over so now the search for the new replacement begins and first up is Beautiful Creatures, a film without a middle or and end, just a really long beginning. The film tells the story of what happens when Ethan (Alden Ehrenreich) starts having dreams about a mysterious girl called Lena (Alice Englert). When he meets her his life is turned upside down as he is introduced to magic and the rest of Lena's family, a mixture of dark and light casters intent on controlling Lena's decision of which side (light or dark) to join. Beautiful Creatures has one storyline, one thing propelling the story meaning it isn't complicated and it isn't hard to follow. It also means that this story requires a conclusion as it is the only possible story to conclude and if there isn't a conclusion the end of this film will not resonate and the film will ultimately lack any kind of emotional draw whatsoever. Well it turns out that the director felt an ambiguous ending would be more affecting than a conclusive one. He is mistaken though with the ending of the film making a mockery of a pretty decent love story and a film that has some good things going for it like good performances by the two leads and by supporting characters such as Viola Davis and Emmy Rossum. The cast look just as confused as I was when the finale came around as they muddle through pointless scenes designed to resolve nothing as the plot unravels and the film crumbles. For a film about a tragic curse and the decision of whether to be evil or good, Beautiful Creatures has no real stakes, neither of the two leads are really in jeopardy, in fact the action is always done in an almost comic way to lighten the melodramatic mood meaning any kind of tragic ending is not in the cards. It's ultimately garbage that in trying to provide a romantic ending have ruined a movie that had a decent melodrama, an enjoyable lead couple and some decent writing (until the end). It's a film that builds and builds to a climax that never arrives and therefore it feels like nothing happens at all making the entire experience forgettable and frustrating. Expand
  2. Aug 3, 2013
    Beautiful Creatures is some kind of Twilight/Harry Potter hybrid that gave the money-hungry, cinema-hating studios a big green boner. I will not have it.
  3. Feb 26, 2013
    A decent premise and cast wasted in a film which takes itself too seriously and is too long to have so little of interest going on. I would rather have watched a Twilight film.
  4. Jul 8, 2013
    Let me just start by saying this movie wasn't good at all. My friend and I were having a sleepover party and we started to watch this. We barely made it through to the end. I have never read the book, but I hope when I do it's way better than what I experienced. From what a lot of disappointed reviews were saying was that it had many changes from the book. Beautiful Creatures also failedLet me just start by saying this movie wasn't good at all. My friend and I were having a sleepover party and we started to watch this. We barely made it through to the end. I have never read the book, but I hope when I do it's way better than what I experienced. From what a lot of disappointed reviews were saying was that it had many changes from the book. Beautiful Creatures also failed at the box office. With that being said, you would it expect it to be a terrible film.
    First of all, the accents really killed the mood in the film. I'm not sure if they had accents like this in the book, but they were just awful. It's suppose to be a dramatic film, that wasn't dramatic enough for me.
    The actors overall did a pretty impressive job. Alice Englert is from what I understand is pretty new to the big screen. I think she was one of the best parts in the film. I think she portrayed her character very well. I also think Emmy Rossum did a great job playing Sarafina. They helped keep the movie alive. As much as I hate to say this, there wasn't enough eye candy for me. I know looks aren't everything, but I think it is fair to say the actors weren't as attractive as I'd thought they'd be.
    I think this movie failed because it didn't relate to the book, the screenplay was awful, and the accents weren't the smartest move. This movie could have been so much better if it had more suspense. I'm a teenage movie fanatic, but this movie didn't do me justice.
  5. Feb 15, 2013
    A total tween chick flick. Another film trying to pick up on the awful Twilight franchise. Some decent talent, but no storyline at all, and highly predictable. Tell your girlfriend you liked it, but I think I would have been better off staying at home and eating a pool of my own vomit.
  6. Feb 21, 2013
    absolutely awful, do not waste your money on this piece of trash! trying to compete against actual good films. i do not think so Beautiful Creatures! do not watch!

1. Reviewed by: Laremy Legel
    Feb 26, 2013
    This film could have gone horribly wrong, but the characters and chemistry are strong, and as such Beautiful Creatures should be lauded for elegantly delivering a tale that at least feels fresh and vibrant.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve O Brien
    Feb 22, 2013
    A semi-successful slice of Southern gothic panto.

3. Reviewed by: Xan Brooks
    Feb 16, 2013
    The plot is wildly silly and shot full of holes, maundering endlessly on its slow trawl towards the climax. But the cast at least play it like they mean it, and keep it honest for a spell.