Beetle Juice

8.8

1. JimR.
    Jul 29, 2007
    Good production values, but no story/characters of interest.
  2. Oct 16, 2014
    Beetlejuice has some cool visuals and an entertaining character but that’s about it. The film is slow paced, has some bland characters, and some cheesy and stupid moments. The stuff involving life after death is cool providing both an interesting concept along with some great visuals and I wish the film had spent more time there. Instead we spend most of the movie in the human worldBeetlejuice has some cool visuals and an entertaining character but that’s about it. The film is slow paced, has some bland characters, and some cheesy and stupid moments. The stuff involving life after death is cool providing both an interesting concept along with some great visuals and I wish the film had spent more time there. Instead we spend most of the movie in the human world focusing on the boring humans. Beetlejuice is cool when he is on screen but its barely little. More afterlife and Beetlejuice could’ve gone a long way in helping this movie. Instead we have pretty stupid with movie with some dumb characters. When its cool its cool and I guess I’m glad I saw it but I feel like ti could’ve been more than just some cool spectacle here and there. Expand
  3. Aug 29, 2014
    Memorable not necessarily for quality, but rather a certain quirkiness amongst the cast and characters. Beetle Juice is early, first-rate Tim Burton filmmaking.
  4. Aug 31, 2015
    Bottom line: Classic Tim Burton film that makes for a solid evening around Halloween.

Adam (Baldwin) and Barbara (Davis) Maitland are a young, recently married couple. They are vacationing at home and make the quick trip to the local hardware store. On their way back they crash off a bridge into a river. Somehow, they walk back to their house (though they don’t exactly remember how) and, drenched, they try to dry off and warm next to the fire they don’t remember starting. They soon realize they drowned in the river and are now ghosts. They still want to try and live, or exist, happily in their home. Unfortunately, a new family (the Deetz’s) from New York buys the house and starts to move in. The Maitland’s decide to haunt the house to scare away the unwelcome residents. After repeated failures, they resort to calling Betelgeuse (Keaton), a freelancer who turns out to be far more trouble than he’s worth.

Beetle Juice is, for me, one of those movies that you actually sit down and watch once but you see it in parts here and there. I first saw Beetle Juice when I was little and I thought it was creepy and somehow depressing. After re-watching it just the other day, I still think it is creepy and depressing but I will say that it is good.

The acting is really rather good. I had forgotten that it was starring a very young Alec Baldwin. As soon as he spoke, I did a double take and thought, “I think I recognize that amazing voice.” Michael Keaton does a really good job at creating Betelgeuse a unique character. I didn’t realize it was him until I looked at the credits. It was like learning that Tim Curry played Pennywise the Clown in Stephen King’s It. It is a combination of makeup and acting to create something new. Winona Ryder fits perfectly into the aesthetic of the film. It made me wonder why she didn’t do more stuff with Tim Burton.

Beetle Juice is one of the few movies that ends with a dancing sequence that I don’t particularly find offensive. Lydia received an “A” on her Chemistry paper so the Maitland’s possess the house so it plays Harry Belafonte’s “Jump In The Line” and possess Lydia to make her float in the air and dance. Many of the dancing sequences I’ve seen use the opportunity to cycle through the characters as they dance to show their status. In Beetle Juice, we cycle through the characters but they aren’t dancing. They are just doing what they would normally be doing: Lydia’s mom is sculpting some modern art and Lydia’s father is reading. It is mildly silly but it isn’t going for a zany ending.

Overall, I’d recommend Beetle Juice if you haven’t seen it before but, considering it has been on TV about a million times, you probably have. Would I recommend you see it again? If it is Halloween time, sure, why not? It isn’t a scary movie and in terms of humor, it’s alright. I didn’t laugh out loud but chuckled here and there.

Not since "Ghostbusters" have the spirits been so uplifting. [30 Mar 1988]
  2. San Francisco Chronicle
    Reviewed by: Mick LaSalle
    It's two hours of your life wasted, time once spent that can never be regained. Don't go. Don't do it. [30 Mar 1988]
    Hilarious…The joy of Beetlejuice is its completely bizarre -- but perfectly realized -- view of the world, a la Gary Larson's "The Far Side," or "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." [1 Apr 1988]