Beetle Juice

8.9

1. Dec 1, 2015
    Beetlejuice is one of the first Tim Burton classics. Its very well written and imaginative, its got just the right amount of Burton craziness and its got some timeless jokes in it that are still funny after over 25. There are several strong characters in this film Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis and a young Winona Ryder are all great, but Michael Keaton is the real star of the show. Keaton'sBeetlejuice is one of the first Tim Burton classics. Its very well written and imaginative, its got just the right amount of Burton craziness and its got some timeless jokes in it that are still funny after over 25. There are several strong characters in this film Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis and a young Winona Ryder are all great, but Michael Keaton is the real star of the show. Keaton's portrayal of the titular character is one of the most memorable of his character, but the real tragedy is how underused he is. Beetlejuice is the perfect example of a live-action cartoon character and the last 30 minutes of the movie when he has the most involvement are certainly the best. The lack of Keaton though keeps this movie at a good level, not a great level. Expand
  2. Nov 23, 2015
    Beetlejuice is a funny twist on classic horror film tropes that manages to not just make you laugh, but also really make you feel for the ghosts trapped in haunted houses around the world. It is certainly not easy being dead and this feel exemplifies that. The world created here by Tim Burton is wacky as expected and has so many layers to explore that shows just how expansive and creativeBeetlejuice is a funny twist on classic horror film tropes that manages to not just make you laugh, but also really make you feel for the ghosts trapped in haunted houses around the world. It is certainly not easy being dead and this feel exemplifies that. The world created here by Tim Burton is wacky as expected and has so many layers to explore that shows just how expansive and creative this film is. Michael Keaton is over-the-top, yet hysterical and Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis do a great job as the bumbling idiots who recently died. Winona Ryder is also great here. The writing here is also very strong as it manages to wring every possible joke out of the pretty dark premise. Overall, Beetlejuice shows very little signs of aging and remains a funny, enjoyable ride. Expand
  3. Nov 12, 2015
    I have to admit, the '7' rating is mainly because of the spectacular performance from Michael Keaton. For me, he made the movie worthwhile during otherwise slightly boring or uninteresting scenes. It's a pity he's only in it for like, thirty minutes!
  4. Oct 2, 2015
    This is the best movie Tim Burton directed and it's on par with "The Nightmare Before Christmas" as the best movie he was involved in. My only complaint is that for a movie called "Beetlejuice" the title character doesn't appear until a while into the movie-but he completely makes up for it by delivering some of Keaton's funniest jokes. In the words of the title character himself, "ItThis is the best movie Tim Burton directed and it's on par with "The Nightmare Before Christmas" as the best movie he was involved in. My only complaint is that for a movie called "Beetlejuice" the title character doesn't appear until a while into the movie-but he completely makes up for it by delivering some of Keaton's funniest jokes. In the words of the title character himself, "It keeps gettin' funnier every time I see it!". Glad to hear Beetlejuice 2 is in development, that'll be on my "movies to watch" list! Expand
  5. Aug 31, 2015
    Bottom line: Classic Tim Burton film that makes for a solid evening around Halloween.

Adam (Baldwin) and Barbara (Davis) Maitland are a young, recently married couple. They are vacationing at home and make the quick trip to the local hardware store. On their way back they crash off a bridge into a river. Somehow, they walk back to their house (though they don’t exactly remember how) and, drenched, they try to dry off and warm next to the fire they don’t remember starting. They soon realize they drowned in the river and are now ghosts. They still want to try and live, or exist, happily in their home. Unfortunately, a new family (the Deetz’s) from New York buys the house and starts to move in. The Maitland’s decide to haunt the house to scare away the unwelcome residents. After repeated failures, they resort to calling Betelgeuse (Keaton), a freelancer who turns out to be far more trouble than he’s worth.

Beetle Juice is, for me, one of those movies that you actually sit down and watch once but you see it in parts here and there. I first saw Beetle Juice when I was little and I thought it was creepy and somehow depressing. After re-watching it just the other day, I still think it is creepy and depressing but I will say that it is good.

The acting is really rather good. I had forgotten that it was starring a very young Alec Baldwin. As soon as he spoke, I did a double take and thought, “I think I recognize that amazing voice.” Michael Keaton does a really good job at creating Betelgeuse a unique character. I didn’t realize it was him until I looked at the credits. It was like learning that Tim Curry played Pennywise the Clown in Stephen King’s It. It is a combination of makeup and acting to create something new. Winona Ryder fits perfectly into the aesthetic of the film. It made me wonder why she didn’t do more stuff with Tim Burton.

Beetle Juice is one of the few movies that ends with a dancing sequence that I don’t particularly find offensive. Lydia received an “A” on her Chemistry paper so the Maitland’s possess the house so it plays Harry Belafonte’s “Jump In The Line” and possess Lydia to make her float in the air and dance. Many of the dancing sequences I’ve seen use the opportunity to cycle through the characters as they dance to show their status. In Beetle Juice, we cycle through the characters but they aren’t dancing. They are just doing what they would normally be doing: Lydia’s mom is sculpting some modern art and Lydia’s father is reading. It is mildly silly but it isn’t going for a zany ending.

Overall, I’d recommend Beetle Juice if you haven’t seen it before but, considering it has been on TV about a million times, you probably have. Would I recommend you see it again? If it is Halloween time, sure, why not? It isn’t a scary movie and in terms of humor, it’s alright. I didn’t laugh out loud but chuckled here and there.
  6. Aug 3, 2015
    A hilarious classic from Tim Burton that still continues to bring laughs even in its cast is absolutely perfect especially Michael Keaton who is hilarious as beetle juice, the sets and visuals in beetle juice are also a treat to look at
  7. Jul 27, 2015
    A cult classic. Beetlejucie is hilarious, feel good and at some points, terrifying. The character is exactly how I would think a dead exorcist pervert **** would act coming along with all his mischief and tricks up his sleeve making for some pretty creepy sequences that are just past the line of being hysterical as well as slightly terrifying. I only wished they'd do more exploration inA cult classic. Beetlejucie is hilarious, feel good and at some points, terrifying. The character is exactly how I would think a dead exorcist pervert **** would act coming along with all his mischief and tricks up his sleeve making for some pretty creepy sequences that are just past the line of being hysterical as well as slightly terrifying. I only wished they'd do more exploration in the world of the afterlife as there seems to be so much potential for a world there (I'd imagine this was further explored in Burton's Corpse Bride but it should've been in this movie as well) Expand
  8. Oct 21, 2014
    Michael Keaton is the name in laughter from the hereafter as an obnoxious poltergeist conjured up to bedevil an unwanted family of oddballs in this hilarious film.
  9. Oct 16, 2014
    Beetlejuice has some cool visuals and an entertaining character but that’s about it. The film is slow paced, has some bland characters, and some cheesy and stupid moments. The stuff involving life after death is cool providing both an interesting concept along with some great visuals and I wish the film had spent more time there. Instead we spend most of the movie in the human worldBeetlejuice has some cool visuals and an entertaining character but that’s about it. The film is slow paced, has some bland characters, and some cheesy and stupid moments. The stuff involving life after death is cool providing both an interesting concept along with some great visuals and I wish the film had spent more time there. Instead we spend most of the movie in the human world focusing on the boring humans. Beetlejuice is cool when he is on screen but its barely little. More afterlife and Beetlejuice could’ve gone a long way in helping this movie. Instead we have pretty stupid with movie with some dumb characters. When its cool its cool and I guess I’m glad I saw it but I feel like ti could’ve been more than just some cool spectacle here and there. Expand
  10. Sep 12, 2014
    Heres the word that describes Tim Burton FREAKY !. Tim Burton's movie are odd ( and could give kids nightmares like Corpes Bride , The Nightmare Before Christmas ). But i have to say the way he presents his movies in a whole new World ( Charlie & Chocolate Factory , Alice In Wonderland ) But there realistic and wonderful and Beetle Juice is the example of a real horrific world withHeres the word that describes Tim Burton FREAKY !. Tim Burton's movie are odd ( and could give kids nightmares like Corpes Bride , The Nightmare Before Christmas ). But i have to say the way he presents his movies in a whole new World ( Charlie & Chocolate Factory , Alice In Wonderland ) But there realistic and wonderful and Beetle Juice is the example of a real horrific world with Batman's Micheal Keaton , Alec Baldwin , Geena Davis. Grade A+ Expand
  11. Aug 29, 2014
    Memorable not necessarily for quality, but rather a certain quirkiness amongst the cast and characters. Beetle Juice is early, first-rate Tim Burton filmmaking.
  12. Jun 12, 2014
    This movie was honestly not that bad. Yes, I do believe that the plot was kind of weird and, I mean ghosts? Really? But actual beetlejuice made the movie more "available to watch." I know this review didnt really make any sense, but its hard to explain. The movie had something about it that every time I see it on TV I decide to watch it.
  13. Dec 23, 2013
    Beetle Juice isn't Burton's best but it's certainly worth a watch. It's original and entertaining and if you like Burton's creepy style of directing you'll be sure to enjoy this film.
  14. Oct 27, 2013
    Beetlejuice is a really fantastic supernatural comedy. Tim Burton's style is stamped all over the film and Michael Keaton is truly hilarious as the titular Beetlejuice. I find that the movie makes for a perfect Halloween treat for kids, too.
  15. Jun 22, 2013
    The first real film that you get a chance to see Tim Burton's visual style, but unlike some of his later films this film has a lot of substance. Plus a great performance by Michael Keaton.
  16. Apr 18, 2013
    This has to be my favorite Michael Keaton movie, and my favorite from Tim Burton.It is both dark and funny. Silly & serious. The effects at the time were phenomenal but are a bit dated by today's standards, but even so, hold a little. Still great to see Winona Ryder so young. Story gets a bit to goofy at points and they play the "afterlife" novelty to death (sorry, for the bad pun.)This has to be my favorite Michael Keaton movie, and my favorite from Tim Burton.It is both dark and funny. Silly & serious. The effects at the time were phenomenal but are a bit dated by today's standards, but even so, hold a little. Still great to see Winona Ryder so young. Story gets a bit to goofy at points and they play the "afterlife" novelty to death (sorry, for the bad pun.)

Overall:
    Beetlejuice is a ton of fun and enjoyable fore most. I would say keep really little kids away, because I remember it freaked me out when I was little.
  17. Feb 2, 2013
    Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, BEETLEJUICE!! 'The Ghost with the Most' is brought back from the afterlife thanks to Tim Burton's twisted imagination and the wacky writings of Michael McDowell and Warren Skaaren. In order to rid themselves of a pesky new family, a recently deceased couple hires the obnoxious ghoul Beetlejuice to perform a "bio-exorcism" and earn back their house! BEETLEJUICE isBeetlejuice, Beetlejuice, BEETLEJUICE!! 'The Ghost with the Most' is brought back from the afterlife thanks to Tim Burton's twisted imagination and the wacky writings of Michael McDowell and Warren Skaaren. In order to rid themselves of a pesky new family, a recently deceased couple hires the obnoxious ghoul Beetlejuice to perform a "bio-exorcism" and earn back their house! BEETLEJUICE is filled with oddball characters and eccentric performances from the entire cast. HOME ALONE's Catherine O'Hara is wickedly funny as the family's New Age hipster wife, who is married to Jeffrey Jones in another of his quirky character roles. A young Winona Ryder plays their morbid daughter Lydia, the one person who is able to communicate with the dead. And then, of course, there is Michael Keaton in the most unusual and unexpected performances of his career. Beetlejuice is crass, vulgar, and disgusting... And we love him! He is the undead equivalent to the classic Acme characters pushed to their fiendish extremes. The make-up and special effects are superb and highly original, combining traditional stop-motion animation with modern prosthetics to bring each of the otherworldly creatures back to life. Like GREMLINS and GHOSTBUSTERS before it, BEETLEJUICE is another classic comedy that 80's horror fans are sure to love!

-Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  18. Dec 19, 2012
    Great cast, very good performances, the characters are amazing, Keaton does a pretty good job giving life to the ghost exorcist Beetle Juice, some times the movie gets a little slow and the special effects are not the best of its time, but it has nice make up and hilarious script.
  19. Dec 15, 2011
    With a great cast of actors and a great production value, Beetle Juice will give you laughs and even a bit of scares (especially for the little ones) in this enjoyable film. In my opinion, this is definitely one of Tim Burton's strongest films he's ever directed and I just love the odd humour and strangely dark concepts in the movie. Baldwin, Davis, Ryder and Keaton took the stage inWith a great cast of actors and a great production value, Beetle Juice will give you laughs and even a bit of scares (especially for the little ones) in this enjoyable film. In my opinion, this is definitely one of Tim Burton's strongest films he's ever directed and I just love the odd humour and strangely dark concepts in the movie. Baldwin, Davis, Ryder and Keaton took the stage in playing such strong and memorable roles and the art direction in special effects looked unique at its time. This is a pretty entertaining flick and I recommend a audience who enjoys dark comedies and odd original storytelling should give this a go. Expand
  20. Mar 2, 2011
    Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Michael Keaton are all great and Winona Ryder and more are all very, very good. So original and Tim Burton was fantastic with direction.
  21. Aug 19, 2010
    Couple have old house, friend wants them to sell, have car crash, die, new family move in, couple haunt them without success, ask "People-Exorcist" for help.
    Tim Burton at his best with a wonderfully surreal & dark tale featuring a very strong cast.
    The effects haven't dated that well but a lot of the creations here can be seen later in the equally brilliant Nightmare Before Christmas.
    Michael Keaton steals every scene he is in (although not that many) & you think he'd have been better playing the Joker rather than Batman in his next film after this performance.
  22. ShaunR.
    Jul 18, 2009
    Tthe first time I watched this film I was a kid, I laughed so hard at it that my lungs almost burst, I watched it yesterday, I still laugh so hard that it feels my lungs are going to burst 10 out of 10 one of those classic films that never get old.
  23. JimR.
    Jul 29, 2007
    Good production values, but no story/characters of interest.
  24. BlakeJ.
    Mar 11, 2007
    Hilarious. Dark. Scary. Did I mention Hilarious? Tim Burton never fails...except with "Planet of the Apes", maybe.
  25. ChiteaA.
    Jan 11, 2007
    I loved this movie. Is a not stereotipically black comedy, and I liked it.
  26. Michael
    Oct 29, 2005
    Beetlejuice has got to be one of the most enjoyable movies I have ever seen. Tim Burton does a most excellent job both editing and playing the role of Mr. Geuse. The characters are mostly stereotypical, yet somehow human and warm.
  27. SamanthaH.
    Feb 9, 2005
    I loved the movie i could watch it over and over again every day of my whole life.
  28. RobM.
    Jun 4, 2004
    A quality show of it's time for a house haunting. The truth is that it is not fictional since these events happen every day. So many funny parts that I busted out in tears. Geena Davis is the best female actress to date. She really does a great job.
  29. Jeremy
    Oct 16, 2003
    Not everything works, but that's part of the charm of this completely original and most entertaining film.

Not since "Ghostbusters" have the spirits been so uplifting. [30 Mar 1988]
  2. San Francisco Chronicle
    Reviewed by: Mick LaSalle
    It's two hours of your life wasted, time once spent that can never be regained. Don't go. Don't do it. [30 Mar 1988]
    Hilarious…The joy of Beetlejuice is its completely bizarre -- but perfectly realized -- view of the world, a la Gary Larson's "The Far Side," or "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." [1 Apr 1988]